This is hilarious.

I'd actually not noted this until I read something about it yesterday...and now I'm noticing  :)

People..(boomers) are actually getting angry about it?

Old people being triggered by something akin to.."OK Granpa.:rolleyes:

Some people are even trying to turn this into some sort of inter-generational declaration of war.

My son accused me of "pearl clutching" last week...now that hurt.

I call my little sister a pearl clutcher (She's actually got some) and a Boomer (she acts like one) 

I'll posit that "boomer" is a state of mind and totally divorced from one's date of birth.

signed 

A late boomer.

WATCH: That “OK boomer” meme going around? It spiked when 25-year-old New Zealand MP Chlöe Swarbrick rebuked an older lawmaker who heckled her during a speech on climate change.

Embedded video

A 25-year-old New Zealand lawmaker shut down a heckler during a climate change speech with a two-word comeback aimed at older people. Chlöe Swabrick, who belongs to the Green Party, silenced a fellow Parliament member by retorting, "OK, boomer" — a phrase popularized by young people to call out folks from the baby boomer generation.

:lol:

"Sweetheart, that's a compliment for me,' he wrote, triggering a largely supportive response from his followers. "

"Billie E defended herself, saying she was 'not really into pejoratives, but what's the term for people when they can't interpret a joke?'. 

Shatner could not resist another dig at that, answering: 'Millennials?'."

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/william-shatner-twitter-feud-millennials-boomer-compliment

Why'd I think this thread was gonna be about big kangaroos?

Same old same old - everything that's wrong with the world is the fault of the previous generation to people with inch deep thought processes.

It has ever been thus.

• Like 1
Just now, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I don't think my generation (x) will be known as the most selfish, overpaid generation in history.... 

That would be boomers 

their parents fought WWII, built the interstate highway system, the newcular arsenal,  and provided super inexpensive college educations to them.

Boomers have shredded the school systems, abused the roads, run up record deficits, and refused to admit their fossil fuel consumption is poisoning the planet. 

fuck Boomers!!!

except me.

I generally vote against the  boomers 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I don't think my generation (x) will be known as the most selfish, overpaid generation in history....

No - you're going to be known as the biggest slacker generation in history.

That's it because you'll never be in charge of things - the new "Lost Generation".

3 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

That would be boomers 

their parents fought WWII, built the interstate highway system, the newcular arsenal,  and provided super inexpensive college educations to them.

Boomers have shredded the school systems, abused the roads, run up record deficits, and refused to admit their fossil fuel consumption is poisoning the planet. 

fuck Boomers!!!

except me.

I generally vote against the  boomers 

Odd isnt it. The generation that went to gaol for protesting conscription, were the politicians that brought us (aussies) Universal health, family law acts (no fault divorce) Universal tertiary education, equal pay for women.

I think it's a Gen Y plot. They're keeping vewy vewy qwiet....little shits.

I worry that I might have had sex with women that look like that back in my drunk days......

I'm a boomer (I think, '53 model?) and I have the life experience and painfully acquired wisdom to state unequivocally that today's teen/early 20's mob are the most useless generation ever. 

What a bunch of entitled spoiled soft shites. A total lack of work ethic, no interest in becoming independent, an existence mainly revolving around being a life support system for a fucking phone. A two-second attention span. Dumb consumer amoebas for whatever crap the internet dazzles them with.

I have seen some useless lily-livered work-shy swine in my time, but this lot take the cake.  

(With apologies to the ones who don't fit the above rant, most of whom are Asian.....)

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Happy said:

I worry that I might have had sex with women that look like that back in my drunk days......

I'm a boomer (I think, '53 model?) and I have the life experience and painfully acquired wisdom to state unequivocally that today's teen/early 20's mob are the most useless generation ever. 

What a bunch of entitled spoiled soft shites. A total lack of work ethic, no interest in becoming independent, an existence mainly revolving around being a life support system for a fucking phone. A two-second attention span. Dumb consumer amoebas for whatever crap the internet dazzles them with.

I have seen some useless lily-livered work-shy swine in my time, but this lot take the cake.  

(With apologies to the ones who don't fit the above rant, most of whom are Asian.....)

Ok Boomer.

• Like 4

Actually If I seriously compare kids of my (boomer) generation to my (milenial) kids and the kids I work with. 

There's not that much difference...They'll work if someone gives them a go...half have a good work ethic, half are lazy entitled little shits..same as it ever was.

They do stay at home longer, but then again my first flat cost me $25 per week rent. (1/4 of a 18YO  sales assistants salary). median rent for the same today is $330 and an 18yo sales assistant gets $41K do the maths.

6 hours ago, Happy said:

It was once expected you would be a company man, and toil for the good of the organization,    The boss gets all the money and you get downsized or offshored.   Forget that misplaced loyalty.

The boomers had a 40 hour work week and plenty of time to play with all the toys their salary provided.    We were given pagers, then company phones.    We were told to be available by email.    We were made independent contractors without paid vacation, overtime or workman’s comp.   Those less fortunate were promoted to fake managers to avoid overtime,     

My generation started out entitled, expecting to live like our parents.    Our parents invented some quaint ideas about participation trophies.   We quickly had our attitude adjusted between student debt, medical expenses, the bush recession, the dot com crash, NAFTA and the Chinese exodus.   Then the second Bush recession swept away what we had bought (on credit).

The millennials have been smart enough to realize trinkets they don’t have time to use only increase their carbon footprint and dissatisfaction.     Experiences are more rewarding and harder to repossess,       Virtual  experiences are cheaper and easier, with less plastic waste scattered around.     I think they are doing just fine with the world they inherited.     

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I would rather have my generation be remembered for rock 'n roll, digital electronics, and forcing public action on the environment. Unfortunately as the power balance has shifted to the selfish few, all this has been undone.

We're supposed to leave the world a better place, with new challenges for the next generation. Not hang on and hang on and hang on, grasping for power and wealth and leaving the next generation the same old problems we thought we'd conquered. I'm pretty goddam angry at some of my fellow boomers, but please don't tar us all with the same brush.

- DSK

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Lark said:

It was once expected you would be a company man, and toil for the good of the organization,    The boss gets all the money and you get downsized or offshored.   Forget that misplaced loyalty.

The boomers had a 40 hour work week and plenty of time to play with all the toys their salary provided.    We were given pagers, then company phones.    We were told to be available by email.    We were made independent contractors without paid vacation, overtime or workman’s comp.   Those less fortunate were promoted to fake managers to avoid overtime,     

My generation started out entitled, expecting to live like our parents.    Our parents invented some quaint ideas about participation trophies.   We quickly had our attitude adjusted between student debt, medical expenses, the bush recession, the dot com crash, NAFTA and the Chinese exodus.   Then the second Bush recession swept away what we had bought (on credit).

The millennials have been smart enough to realize trinkets they don’t have time to use only increase their carbon footprint and dissatisfaction.     Experiences are more rewarding and harder to repossess,       Virtual  experiences are cheaper and easier, with less plastic waste scattered around.     I think they are doing just fine with the world they inherited.     

You left out (for ‘entitled’ males at least) being cannon fodder for nothing in a really pointless cynical stupid war that we lost, the hippy movement, which was a hell of a lot more green, for all its faults, than anything going on now, the technical response amongst a lot of us (check out the 70’s Whole Earth Catalogue, for example) to President Carter’s call for energy independence (that was stomped down by Reagan et al) which , ‘bye the way, would have prevented a lot of the sad tragedy we’re going through now.  There’s more, but I get so fucking angry thinking about things that were easily preventable, and the energy a shitload of us put into losing that fight that it’s not good for my health.  I might add the perfection of epoxy wooden boats, which is still being resisted to this day in many quarters.  What I loved about Punk (more Boomers) was that it expressed the anger at what might be summed up in the phrase ‘give me convenience or give me death’.  What ultimately depresses me is that those of us who at least tried to fight it are invisible as ‘OK Boomers’.  ‘Give me convenience or give death?’  It’s now the dominant philosophical mantra of ~60% (?)  of a whole planetary gravity well.  What gives me a bit of hope is that the remaining 40% has nothing to do with dates of birth, but clarity of vision.  But then I re read Asimov’s story Night Fall. :unsure:

OK Boomers!  Fuck us all!

• Like 5
14 minutes ago, Amati said:

...     ...  What gives me a bit of hope is that the remaining 40% has nothing to do with dates of birth, but clarity of vision.  But then I re read Asimov’s story Night Fall. :unsure:   ...

Humankind as a species is less likely to survive our coming Climatefall than the odds in Nightfall.

Which anyone can read (anyone who can read, that is) here: https://allnovel.net/nightfall/page-1.html

Truly a classic IMHO

- DSK

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Happy said:

"Trouble in River city".

The Greatest Generation said the exact same thing about you.

Then they AND the Boomers said it about Gen X.

Now the Boomers and Gen X are saying it about the Millennials.

The kids I know (Millennials) are a lot nicer and sharper than we were back then. They'll do just fine with a few more years of seasoning.

And then their kids will call them a bunch of fuckups who ruined the world.

And so it goes.

• Like 1

Back in the 60's - before they became "The Greatest Generation" - that was what the Boomers said about them. All the ills of the world were ascribed to them.

Then we grew up.

Apparently you haven't lived long enough to grasp the fact that the new generation always blames the previous generation for everything that is wrong with the world.

Or at least the ones with the aforementioned inch deep intellects do anyway.

The ones who can think a bit and know a bit about history realize it's a lot more complex than that.

21 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

You're going in the wrong direction..... How did your parents' generation (The Greatest) fuck it all up for those who followed?  

It’s the ebb and flow of factions (ideas? I’m being too kind.:)), inside and outside of (before and after?) generations, that can create wonderful things, and really shitty things.  But arguments get desperate and require mind killing emotional extremes to prevail.  Voila’ Trump!  Fear is the mind killer!

My greatest generation parent’s age group created the Marshall plan, and NATO, but Lookism, Militarism and Autocracy kept percolating.  The Dulles brothers vs George Marshall, for an inadequate, intellectually limited emotionally laden shorthand:  unending War vs the weariness of death and killing, and the desire to create.

• Like 2

Whatever the nitty gritty slights, the boomers would be the first generation to spend the kid's inheritance.

(after failing to replace themselves and putting a huge future burden on their own children)

SJB...you're sounding like a Boomer.

Of course not everyone born in those years is a selfish, greedy, shallow, twit who would be one of the first generations to get everything handed to them by guilt ridden and suddenly upwardly mobile parents. but there's enough .

And they certainly aren't the first generation to expect their kids to have the same values as them, despite the fact that the playing field is full of divots.

4 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Whatever the nitty gritty slights, the boomers would be the first generation to spend the kid's inheritance.

(after failing to replace themselves and putting a huge future burden on their own children)

SJB...you're sounding like a Boomer.

Of course not everyone born in those years is a selfish, greedy, shallow, twit who would be one of the first generations to get everything handed to them by guilt ridden and suddenly upwardly mobile parents. but there's enough .

And they certainly aren't the first generation to expect their kids to have the same values as them, despite the fact that the playing field is full of divots.

Shorty - got any more trite cliche's?

19 hours ago, Happy said:

I'm always impressed how we always seem to come up ways to separate ourselves, forgoing what we share and extolling our differences, even when fictional.

old-people-phone.jpg

• Like 1
On 11/8/2019 at 5:54 PM, Shortforbob said:

This is hilarious.

I'd actually not noted this until I read something about it yesterday...and now I'm noticing  :)

People..(boomers) are actually getting angry about it?

Old people being triggered by something akin to.."OK Granpa.:rolleyes:

Some people are even trying to turn this into some sort of inter-generational declaration of war.

My son accused me of "pearl clutching" last week...now that hurt.

I call my little sister a pearl clutcher (She's actually got some) and a Boomer (she acts like one) 

I'll posit that "boomer" is a state of mind and totally divorced from one's date of birth.

signed 

A late boomer.

I’m pretty sure you can’t be a boomer if you don’t live in America.  For example a Afghanistan born between 46-64 is  definitely not a boomer.  Stop your cultural misappropriation and get your own monikers for your various demographic groups.

11 hours ago, Amati said:

You left out (for ‘entitled’ males at least) being cannon fodder for nothing in a really pointless cynical stupid war that we lost, the hippy movement, which was a hell of a lot more green, for all its faults, than anything going on now, the technical response amongst a lot of us (check out the 70’s Whole Earth Catalogue, for example) to President Carter’s call for energy independence (that was stomped down by Reagan et al) which , ‘bye the way, would have prevented a lot of the sad tragedy we’re going through now.  There’s more, but I get so fucking angry thinking about things that were easily preventable, and the energy a shitload of us put into losing that fight that it’s not good for my health.  I might add the perfection of epoxy wooden boats, which is still being resisted to this day in many quarters.  What I loved about Punk (more Boomers) was that it expressed the anger at what might be summed up in the phrase ‘give me convenience or give me death’.  What ultimately depresses me is that those of us who at least tried to fight it are invisible as ‘OK Boomers’.  ‘Give me convenience or give death?’  It’s now the dominant philosophical mantra of ~60% (?)  of a whole planetary gravity well.  What gives me a bit of hope is that the remaining 40% has nothing to do with dates of birth, but clarity of vision.  But then I re read Asimov’s story Night Fall. :unsure:

If I’m understanding your post...   

The boomers started out so well.  Environmental, race, rebelling from stereotypes and expectations, great music.   If born poor, they were hampered by a stupid war.   Rich connected people obviously weren’t expected to fight.   

They became (with exceptions) the greed is good, NIMBY, orthodoxy generation.    The young assistants that helped lose Vietnam got two forever wars of their very own.    What happened?    Am I doomed to get risk averse and self centered as I get old, or was it just damage from too much acid?    Japanese boomers volunteered to go back to work and solve the nuclear spill at Fukushima, so younger workers wouldn’t have to take such risks.   American boomers just worry about tax cuts and social security.   

22 minutes ago, Lark said:

The boomers started out so well.  Environmental, race, rebelling from stereotypes and expectations, great music.   If born poor, they were hampered by a stupid war.   Rich connected people obviously weren’t expected to fight.   

They became (with exceptions) the greed is good, NIMBY, orthodoxy generation.    The young assistants that helped lose Vietnam got two forever wars of their very own.    What happened?    Am I doomed to get risk averse and self centered as I get old, or was it just damage from too much acid?    Japanese boomers volunteered to go back to work and solve the nuclear spill at Fukushima, so younger workers wouldn’t have to take such risks.   American boomers just worry about tax cuts and social security.   

You are who you are.  People worry about a lot of things.  

15 hours ago, Lark said:

Hmm..I'm a boomer..late . We were so exited when my sig other got an extra $70 pw for carrying a pager..as a contractor. mid 80's

I should also point out that Boomers were pretty good at joining TRADE UNIONS...by the mid 90s both payment for such things as carrying pagers and trade union membership was in decline..Hmmmm?

One could blame Gen X for the trade union decline.

Thing is things were different for older Boomers ..the "rot" re job security was well and truly setting in by late 80's  (a massive recession didn't exactly help).and the "free tertiary education had stopped by the time the Gen exers were starting Uni..stopped I might add by the Older boomers and fiercely protested by younger Boomers..

There are pretty marked differences in attitudes between those born 1946-1956 ish and late 50s to early 60's

Teenager 1960's image.jpeg.9a9247a30fd1d080ca5598e4d929d19c.jpegimage.jpeg.fd9094f61181df5e5986545c8d706bcd.jpegImage result for teenager 1960

Teenagers 1970'simage.jpeg.a4acc93337877d0cfb1c3a0a176d5acf.jpegImage result for teenager 1970image.jpeg.eba28c700caa601340745ab79d7ef4a7.jpeg

So..Boomers ain't just boomers

image.jpeg.750a2e71e6ec3a607e3d85b84c898e7a.jpeg

:P

14 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Hmm..I'm a boomer..late . We were so exited when my sig other got an extra $70 pw for carrying a pager..as a contractor. mid 80's

I should also point out that Boomers were pretty good at joining TRADE UNIONS...by the mid 90s both payment for such things as carrying pagers and trade union membership was in decline..Hmmmm?

One *could*. One could also point to the increasing irrelevance and inward-looking incestuousness of the trade unions and their pet political party.

Plus, with some exceptions, their increasing inability to enforce union peonage on the work force which increasingly *chose* not to be members.

But of course you wouldn't like that narrative. Down to 9% of the workforce outside the Public Services now, I believe. And still dropping.

Agree about the demise of small-fee tertiary education, which was thanks to the ALP. Whitlam brought it in, Hawke killed it off. I managed to get one of my degrees in the interregnum period.

FKT

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Amati said:

no future.

6 hours ago, Lark said:

this is just silly. I'm guessing you are somewhat younger than 60.

You seem to be implying that the majority of boomers...flipped.

Look around you. look at who's volunteering in the crisis centres, look at who's still writing protest songs, look at the politics of those old Punks and look at the 40% never trumpers. Do you think we ingested some magic solution at birth that  made us all little Che Gs that sold out in 1965?

We were born between 46 an 64..means we reached protesthood mid 66 to 84..VIETNAM HAD BEEN OVER FOR 10 YEARS BY THE TIME I WAS 21. While this Boomer was pogoing to Blondie in a black plastic bag and mohawk, THAT boomer over there was working on Wall st, engineering the 80's resession.

Being a boomer didn't mean you were born into some fabulous bubble. Boomers parents were factory workers and bankers, shop girls and mechanics and hairdressers. 

The difference is..post war..we all got better food and a education of sorts. the silent generations kids were no longer silent.

I think I need a T shirt

"Rosie bore a boomer"..or something

On 11/9/2019 at 2:04 AM, Happy said:

OK, Boomer.

I guess you haven't met my kids. Who are not Asian BTW.

FWIW, I don't blame 'the boomers'.  They're just people with the normal spread of good and ill intentions.  The growth model assumes that the pie is always getting bigger.  Prosperity is a game of musical chairs where there's MORE chairs constantly being added, instead of being taken away.   That's the fun part!

The problem is birth control happened.  Demographically, the baby boomers weren't really that exceptionally big - it's Gen X that's ridiculously small based on the size they SHOULD have been if mother nature alone had been allowed to progress.  Instead of dying in wars and famine, we stopped Gen X before they could even be conceived.  And economic activity is tied to population growth.  Oops.  Stable monocultures - like Japan - suffered first and have suffered hardest.   China is coming.   These countries didn't  back-fill with immigrants (who didn't get the memo until a generation later.)  The US can and does back fill with immigrants.  We've been able to deflect the worst impacts by leveraging the great melting pot.  Oddly, we call some of them 'dreamers' and want to deport them cause their parents cheated!  But that's politics, not demographics, and is for a different thread.

I frequently use the 'kick the can' statement.  I don't say that to only be nihilistic.  That actually is a plan.  Delay and hope that death solves the problem.  Honestly, if it wasn't for advances in medicine, it would have worked.   It was a decent plan.  But, unfortunately (?), the greatest generation has hung on well into their expiration and the boomers - assuming they continue the trend and there's no reason to believe they wont - will live WELL past the point where there are actually fewer chairs - not just a decreasing rate but actual contraction.  It was their fault, so to speak, but not their intention.

The problem isn't here today - that's why there's so little traction on the obvious ideas that can actually HELP.   So if you can't actually address the problem because there's no political will for such a path, what do you do?  The answer is to kick the can and let death sort it out.  And it will - eventually.  The west has enjoyed such a phenomenal growth over the last 80 years - there's almost no one alive today that can remember a world any other way - and are terrified by the few glimpses.

There ARE ways to offset the worst effects.  What's not possible, or even particularly desirable, is to go back 40 years and start having more kids.  Medicare isn't broke today.  Medicaid isn't broke today.  There's enough people willing to wipe everyone's ass in the nursing home today.  Today is not the problem.  And tomorrow is tomorrow.  Can kicked.

• Like 1

The answer. More cholesterol.

I decided last night.

For the next ten years..I'm going to enjoy myself..in an environmentally healthy way. Great diet, lots of exercise, sun,beach etc.

At 70, I'll take up smoking again, drink more than two glasses of wine per day, live off the Gaelic "Fairy diet" (quantities of butter, creamcakes and cheese..and ham"  and buy a sports car.

Thus dying from heart failure (or something relatively quick) and relieving millennials of their unasked for responsibilities and not spending their inheritance on a nursing home.

Win/win

• Like 3

Once upon a time not that long ago colleges and universities were places where open and honest discussions took place, often one was asked to make a argument in class from the other side, the one perhaps you did not agree with...critical thinking led to unemotional conclusions supported with defend-able facts...both sides walked away after the discussion hopefully pondering what they had heard from the other side

21 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

The answer. More cholesterol.

I decided last night.

For the next ten years..I'm going to enjoy myself..in an environmentally healthy way. Great diet, lots of exercise, sun,beach etc.

At 70, I'll take up smoking again, drink more than two glasses of wine per day, live off the Gaelic "Fairy diet" (quantities of butter, creamcakes and cheese..and ham"  and buy a sports car.

Thus dying from heart failure (or something relatively quick) and relieving millennials of their unasked for responsibilities and not spending their inheritance on a nursing home.

Win/win

DEFINITELY!

I'm sort of personally considering death by bear.   Enjoy till I'm 70 then go challenge a Grizzly to a mano-e-mano - me and a Bowie knife.  Beats death by cop and I'll make a decent meal - particularly after the Fairy diet.

An no, i'm not serious :)  there' won't be any free--range grizzles left by then.  Maybe a polar bear - I'll be pretty seal shaped after a few years of fairy diet.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

After failing to replace themselves???  WTF?  Actually, I think NOT having 2.5 children or more is one of the most selfless acts a human can do.  We are already well over-populated as it is.  We should be encouraging people to have LESS children and stop relying on this ponzI scheme of retirement and old age care.  

This is one of the negative unintended consequences of modern medicine and longevity. Sure people are living longer, but at what cost and at what quality of life?  I would say on average people are NOT living longer quality lives.  They are living longer requiring massive amounts of finite resources to keep them alive.  It’s funny, but one of the metrics of a society’s advancement is life expectancy.  Bah, who wants life expectancy if the last 10-15 years of it are sitting waiting to die in a nursing home not able to remember your name?  

I didn't say failing to repalace ourselves was a bad thing, simply that it puts a bigger tax burden on our kids to keep us in depends.

7 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

After failing to replace themselves???  WTF?  Actually, I think NOT having 2.5 children or more is one of the most selfless acts a human can do.  We are already well over-populated as it is.  We should be encouraging people to have LESS children and stop relying on this ponzI scheme of retirement and old age care.  

This is one of the negative unintended consequences of modern medicine and longevity. Sure people are living longer, but at what cost and at what quality of life?  I would say on average people are NOT living longer quality lives.  They are living longer requiring massive amounts of finite resources to keep them alive.  It’s funny, but one of the metrics of a society’s advancement is life expectancy.  Bah, who wants life expectancy if the last 10-15 years of it are sitting waiting to die in a nursing home not able to remember your name?  

Of course,the easy answer is Immigration from those countries with a higher birthrate and lower life expectancy is it not?

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Nope, about the same. Hard Left or hard Right, pretty much indistinguishable. Humourless control freaks who know what's good for you and are dedicated to serving it up regardless.

This is from the Greta thread.  The poster was talking about Antifa an Nazis but could just as easily been describing a large chunk of the boomer population. 

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

This is from the Greta thread.  The poster was talking about Antifa an Nazis but could just as easily been describing a large chunk of the boomer population. 

Quit your Gen X whining and get a fuckin' job.

4 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

I didn't say failing to repalace ourselves was a bad thing, simply that it puts a bigger tax burden on our kids to keep us in depends.

Of course,the easy answer is Immigration from those countries with a higher birthrate and lower life expectancy is it not?

Yeah; I would with be without a barber, a doctor and a bartender if was not for those high birth rate nations. In the end Thomas Malthus just keep getting it wrong generation after generation.  In Japan they know what depopulation really means.

• Like 1

One difference between early and late Boomer segments is, was there The Pill when you became sexually active?  

Less getting married to get laid, less  "having" to get married, less assumption that you had to have kids if you got married. 

Pill arrived around 1962 iirc. IUDs a bit later. 

Just one women's perspective.

27 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Quit your Gen X whining and get a fuckin' job.

OK boomer. 

What are you doing these days?  Maybe you could replace Don Cherry.  He doesn't represent Canadians anymore either.  You'd be perfect!  Just as irrelevant without the racism! 

4 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

One difference between early and late Boomer segments is, was there The Pill when you became sexually active?  

Less getting married to get laid, less  "having" to get married, less assumption that you had to have kids if you got married. 

I  owe my existence to  the effectiveness of 'Pull and Pray.'

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jules said:

I'm a boomer.  I see no problem with that put down. 

Is it actually a put down or rather simply a bit of light hearted cheek?

I'll still  say.."yes Dad!" to anyone of any age being a bit of a "stick in the mud"

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

IUD's have been around a bit longer than the Pill :rolleyes:

You are of course quite right. Easy availability of the pill allowed women to work and thus buy the second car...It's all downhill from there of course..

:k:

3 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

The first Boomers were 16 when The Pill arrived so your theory is a bit lacking.

We did get to enjoy that magical time between The Pill and AIDS. I think I remember making the most of it.

3 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

OK boomer. 

What are you doing these days?  Maybe you could replace Don Cherry.  He doesn't represent Canadians anymore either.  You'd be perfect!  Just as irrelevant without the racism! 

I do anything I want these days and have done for more than a decade. I have no intention of ever working for pay again.

Whereas you still have to. :lol:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

The first Boomers were 16 when The Pill arrived so your theory is a bit lacking.

We did get to enjoy that magical time between The Pill and AIDS. I think I remember making the most of it.

Read the post. How is this lacking. Clew is talking about two tranches of boomers pre and post Pill . 

Many of those born in the later boomer years even 5 years before the Pill  had the advantage of fewer siblings and more cuddles. And of course that usually means more money for EDUCATION. I'd posit that the second tranch of boomers were more inclined to an education at tertiary level  than their older boomer siblings who probably were more influenced by their parents values. Second kids are always the rebels.

On 11/9/2019 at 10:22 PM, Shortforbob said:

pay wall

Economics

Richest 1% of Americans Close to Surpassing Wealth of Middle Class

By 
 and 
9 November 2019, 10:00 GMT
  •  
    Historic low interest rates boosting riches of top households
  •  
    Poorest have 35.7% of liabilities and just 6.1% of assets

LISTEN TO ARTICLE

2:41

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

Tweet

Email

Explore what’s moving the global economy in the new season of the Stephanomics podcast. Subscribe via Apple PodcastSpotify or Pocket Cast.

The U.S.’s historic economic expansion has so enriched one-percenters they now hold almost as much wealth as the middle- and upper-middle classes combined.

Wealth Floats

U.S. household wealth become more concentrated among the top tenth

Source: Federal Reserve

The top 1% of American households have enjoyed huge returns in the stock market in the past decade, to the point that they now control more than half of the equity in U.S. public and private companies, according to data from the Federal Reserve. Those fat portfolios have America’s elite gobbling up an ever-bigger piece of the pie.

The very richest had assets of about $35.4 trillion in the second quarter, or just shy of the $36.9 trillion held by the tens of millions of people who make up the 50th percentile to the 90th percentile of Americans -- much of the middle and upper-middle classes.

Americans Now Need at Least $500,000 a Year to Enter Top 1%

Chalk up at least part of their good fortune to interest rates, said Stephen Colavito, chief market strategist at Lakeview Capital Partners, an Atlanta-based investment firm for high-net-worth investors. People can’t get much of a return on certificates of deposits and other passive investments, so they’ve pumped money into stocks and propped up the market overall, he said.

In turn, those investments make the wealthy eligible to put money into exclusive hedge funds and private equity funds. Many such funds require $5 million of investments to qualify.

“The wealthier that the wealthy get, the more opportunity they have,” Colavito said.

It may not be long before one-percenters actually surpass the middle and upper-middle classes. Household wealth in the upper-most bracket grew by $650 billion in the second quarter of 2019, while Americans in the 50th to 90th percentiles saw a $210 billion gain.

Assets -- 2Q 2019

Top 1% of household assets approach that of the 50-90% group

Assets -- 3Q 2006

Upper middle class households held more assets than other cohorts

While the Federal Reserve data measure wealth, by another measurement the top 1% of taxpayers had incomes starting at $515,371 in 2017, according to the latest Internal Revenue Service data.

For now, those Americans in 90th to 99th percentiles -- well-to-do, but not the super rich -- still control the biggest share of wealth, with $42.6 trillion in assets.

The lone group left out of the fun: the bottom 50% of Americans. Those households have 35.7% of liabilities in the U.S. and just 6.1% of assets.

Age also plays a role in wealth. Some young people have recently taken to mocking older Americans for being out of touch, hurling the term “OK Boomer” around social media. However, Baby Boomers born between the end of the Second World War and 1964 may have the last laugh. They had wealth that was 11 times higher than that of millennials as of the second quarter.

Aged and Wealthy

American's 55 and older hold 3 times the wealth of latter generations

Note: Silent and Earlier=born before 1946, Baby Boomer=born 1946-1964, Gen X=born 1965-1980, and Millennial=born 1981-1996

10 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Read the post. How is this lacking. Clew is talking about two tranches of boomers pre and post Pill . 

Many of those born in the later boomer years even 5 years before the Pill  had the advantage of fewer siblings and more cuddles. And of course that usually means more money for EDUCATION. I'd posit that the second tranch of boomers were more inclined to an education at tertiary level  than their older boomer siblings who probably were more influenced by their parents values. Second kids are always the rebels.

You should read it again - Clew was talking about when they became sexually active, not about their parents or The Pill's effect on the birth of the Boomers. The Boom only lasted two years after The Pill ('62 - '64) so what you're talking about would have been essentially irrelevant.

The Pill had basically no effect on the creation of the Boomer generation but it had a huge effect on them when they reached sexual maturity.

7 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Just one woman's perspective. In early to mid 60s was hard for a teenage girl to get the Pill. Let alone an IUD. Tried, did you? No? 

Um..if this is directed at me?

Being only 6 years old in the mid 60's?  No.

I was merely noting that IUD's have been around for longer than the pill...about 2000 years longer.

It was hard for UNMARRIED women to get any form of contraception before the 1970's.

Teen brides could get The dutch cap or the pill very much depending on their HUSBANDS CONSENT! 

Or financial circumstances . It wasn;t cheap. or the local doctor's (usually male) religion and attitude.

Generally speaking, Doctors were unwilling to fit childless women with IUD's because they were thought to increase period pain and/or fall out...and they needed their husbands permission.

I've been on the pill from the age of 16 and had 2 IUD's In australia you needed not your parents permission

I'm a late Boomer..From my POV, the pills availability to all women was a greater attitudinal, economic and social changer than what year you were born. Just look at the dates of the end of the baby boom (Coinciding with the pill's availability ) and the drop in birthrate over the next ten years.

another woman's perspective :)

All the millenials need is a little patience.

Our (Boomer) generation inherited little  the silent generation are increasingly leaving their "wealth" to their grandchildren. (Millenials)

The boomers that don't go grey nomading or spend their kids inheritance are leaving their wealth to the kids (millennials)

Both the silent generation (those born post 1930) and boomers have fewer kids to divide their inheritance between, (in countries that actually were in WW1, there was a man shortage, women gave birth and married later and hence actually did have the pill available to them.

Millennials are often inheriting their grandparents accumilated wealth (and these people really should be known as "the savings" generation"

They just have wait until they're ?????? 35 or 45?  and then they have to wait another 40 years to get their parents money.

I'm 60, my mums still living and she had 4 kids..I've inherited exactly nothing to date.

So..patience..striplings.

On 11/10/2019 at 12:12 AM, Shortforbob said:

Thing is things were different for older Boomers ..the "rot" re job security was well and truly setting in by late 80's  (a massive recession didn't exactly help).and the "free tertiary education had stopped by the time the Gen exers were starting Uni..stopped I might add by the Older boomers and fiercely protested by younger Boomers..

There are pretty marked differences in attitudes between those born 1946-1956 ish and late 50s to early 60's

So..Boomers ain't just boomers

:P

As with any division based on arbitrary criteria (melanin content, birthdate, country of origin,  shape of eyelids, education, you name it) there are always many exceptions.  People are after all people, all the same species with near identical genetic programing.   The differences by culture are interesting to try to understand, but full of exceptions.   Its possible to be born rich and still be hard working.   Its possible to start out as a hippie and not devolve to embody everything you once passionately fought against.  

Your birth control discussion was interesting, but presumably varied by country.  In the states, it depended on religion as you later said.   I learned a bit of family history, a pharmacy owner had to make the decision (in consultation with his priest) on whether he could offer birth control options to his customers.   It was a big moral / business dilemma to a middle aged guy in the 1960s.   The pharmacy was actually named after the nearby church in a blue collar immigrant neighborhood, so it was reasonable to assume most of his customers were also catholic.      

You point out the roll of recessions, but there is also huge national or even regional economic variation.    If you left high school to work in the mines or mills your perception was surely very different then if you were hanging out on a college campus, but not particularly worried about graduating quickly to pay for the expense.   

I don't know  about Australia, but many American boomers run their personal finances like they did the country's.    I wouldn't expect much of a legacy from the bottom 85% of American boomers, unless they drop dead of a heart attack the day after they retire.    Canadian boomers weren't much smarter.   20% have nothing saved.   If the silent generation decide to skip a generation and give the millennials a leg up, the boomer's inability to plan may be why.   

image.png

Saving's..perhaps not..but the boomers are the first generation where many own their own home outright by the time they are 50.

Is that not so in the USA or Canada?

Of course my perceptions of Boomer wealth are probably a bit scewed by the post war "socialist" economies of the UK and OZ.

Health care, education and social housing for ALL was the UK thing ...boomers profited but only because the silent generation profited.

My parents (silent generation) (Dad a Tradesman with his own business) were moved with one baby from a bedsit to a brand new council house in 1957 this enabled then to save a deposit on land..my Dad designed and built his own home(in a very nice neighbourhood) in 1964.

They both grew up in 19thC slums..Miner's, Railway workers and Factory fodder..not a years education past 15 between them.

My parents got to send three (Boomer) kids to UNI..gratis.

So..maybe American boomers have a reason to be angry..they got nuthin to help them on their way and nuthin to help their kids..except their own savings...The American Capitalist dream as it were.

Australian Millenials  are pissed off because of the cost of housing ...but mainly they just think we have fucked the world...for profit not principles...unlike previous generations that fought for something "noble" 

31 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Saving's..perhaps not..but the boomers are the first generation where many own their own home outright by the time they are 50.

Is that not so in the USA or Canada?

Of course my perceptions of Boomer wealth are probably a bit scewed by the post war "socialist" economies of the UK and OZ.

Health care, education and social housing for ALL was the UK thing ...boomers profited but only because the silent generation profited.

My parents (silent generation) (Dad a Tradesman with his own business) were moved with one baby from a bedsit to a brand new council house in 1957 this enabled then to save a deposit on land..my Dad designed and built his own home(in a very nice neighbourhood) in 1964.

They both grew up in 19thC slums..Miner's, Railway workers and Factory fodder..not a years education past 15 between them.

My parents got to send three (Boomer) kids to UNI..gratis.

So..maybe American boomers have a reason to be angry..they got nuthin to help them on their way and nuthin to help their kids..except their own savings...The American Capitalist dream as it were.

Australian Millenials  are pissed off because of the cost of housing ...but mainly they just think we have fucked the world...for profit not principles...unlike previous generations that fought for something "noble" 

I think countries that care about their citizens have a very different argument to make in this issue.   In the US college debt is big business.    Medical care is as well, extending to supplemental Medicare and long term care insurance options.   There is a lot of non food expenses to soak up retirement savings, and even those that plan can spend a hundred thousand on an emergency unplanned expenses before leaving the workforce for good.    Does Australia have 'reverse mortgages', or is that an invention of the American MBA?   They advertise on Sirius, the idea is many boomers that have no savings did manage to pay off their house which might have appreciated in value.    The boomer is now hit with expenses they cannot cover on social security (new roof or uncovered medical bills).   They sell the house back to a finance company, getting a monthly stipend and the right to continue to live there for some period.   Of course that  leaves the kids with nothing but the ash tray from Niagara Falls, a shelf of Beanie Babies and a bunch of accumulated junk.    

Edit.  Fortunately President Bush the Lessor and his gang didn't succeed in privatizing social security before crashing the economy.    That would have created soup kitchens for sure.    

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

Um..if this is directed at me?

Being only 6 years old in the mid 60's?  No.

I was merely noting that IUD's have been around for longer than the pill...about 2000 years longer.

It was hard for UNMARRIED women to get any form of contraception before the 1970's.

Teen brides could get The dutch cap or the pill very much depending on their HUSBANDS CONSENT! 

Or financial circumstances . It wasn;t cheap. or the local doctor's (usually male) religion and attitude.

Generally speaking, Doctors were unwilling to fit childless women with IUD's because they were thought to increase period pain and/or fall out...and they needed their husbands permission.

I've been on the pill from the age of 16 and had 2 IUD's In australia you needed not your parents permission

I'm a late Boomer..From my POV, the pills availability to all women was a greater attitudinal, economic and social changer than what year you were born. Just look at the dates of the end of the baby boom (Coinciding with the pill's availability ) and the drop in birthrate over the next ten years.

another woman's perspective :)

Wasn't really responding to you. Sorry, see how it looked that way.  But thanks for sharing your perspective. I couldn't get birth control until I was 18, out of high school, and moved to a "liberal" state.  The Pill gave me crazy high BP so I must have had 5 or 6 IUDs all told, including the dread Dalkon Shield.  I am older than you, early boomer.  

3 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Wasn't really responding to you. Sorry, see how it looked that way.  But thanks for sharing your perspective. I couldn't get birth control until I was 18, out of high school, and moved to a "liberal" state.  The Pill gave me crazy high BP so I must have had 5 or 6 IUDs all told, including the dread Dalkon Shield.  I am older than you, early boomer.  

no worries :)

and Welcome to PA >

(They are really a nicer bunch down here than that lot upstairs allow and know their place! :D) 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lark said:

Canadian boomers weren't much smarter.   20% have nothing saved.   If the silent generation decide to skip a generation and give the millennials a leg up, the boomer's inability to plan may be why.   

image.png

Inexcusable - my wife & I worked for salaries all our lives and we are way off the bottom of that chart.

We didn't take annual, expensive vacations or lease BMW's or any of the other shit that has kept the majority in the top of that chart.

I remember reading a newspaper story years ago that surveyed a bunch of Canadians about their retirement plans. An incredible (and horrifying) number of them - over 50% IIRC - listed "winning the lottery" as their retirement financial plan. :rolleyes:

Let them eat dog food.

14 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Yes we have reverse mortgages. My Mum lost 1/3 of her house value to one:rolleyes:. They are  only available for older australians..milk em dry before they die

Your mom hasn't lost a dime - you have lost your inheritance. Here at least they are for life - you can't be evicted.

If you don't have heirs, or at least none that you care about, then a reverse mortgage can be a great way of accessing and spending your assets before you croak.

Remember, if you properly manage your money, the last cheque you ever write should bounce. :D

19 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Inexcusable - my wife & I worked for salaries all our lives and we are way off the bottom of that chart.

We didn't take annual, expensive vacations or lease BMW's or any of the other shit that has kept the majority in the top of that chart.

I remember reading a newspaper story years ago that surveyed a bunch of Canadians about their retirement plans. An incredible (and horrifying) number of them - over 50% IIRC - listed "winning the lottery" as their retirement financial plan. :rolleyes:

Let them eat dog food.

see..proof of my contention that older boomers are more akin to their parents. 

You think perhaps boomers refused to slave for the man and still die poor like thier parents and older brothers  with their work hard no fun doctrine?

Despite my numerous extended overseas jaunt's and high living in my peak earning years, I still own my home AND have a reasonable superanuation income.

More to do with housing booms, social planning  and Unions actually fighting for their members than good planning on my part.

(Though I've made some pretty smart moves even if I do say so myself)

• Like 1