Single Handed roll call?

When I can, locally.  Longer term plan is Hawaii-Vancouver.  (Biggest challenge keeping me from going out more frequently  is getting my heavy boat out of a pretty inconvenient slip in fall/winter, when I really want to go out.  Boat lives on a mooring in spring/summer, which is obviously easy to leave from/get to - but better winds in fall/winter.)

Love the new Pelagic autopilot I installed this last summer!

28B0E606-304A-4E60-B20C-8A9D274B5B7D.jpeg

Reaching with the code up in the inaugural Red and White race. 7 knots in 11 knots true, pretty happy. In the distance is Privateer, the Class 40, but he's not *that* far in the distance. and yes, I need to clean up the cockpit.

jt4eEDk.jpg

1 hour ago, peterbike said:

Sidecar :  what are your feelings/findings so far, on your very different sailing craft ?    :o

(if you have posted, & I missed it - can you supply a link ?)

Still very much work in progress. There is lots to like and shows potential, including the canting lifting foil, but still  not sufficiently well balanced to drive it really hard.

Further measures are in hand to correct this. Will be back in the water for Xmas. Will know more then..... PM me if you want to know more....

3ECFAF2C-8AE1-4CB9-ADB6-02064BC83FFE.jpeg

On 11/11/2019 at 12:05 PM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

When I can, locally.  Longer term plan is Hawaii-Vancouver.  (Biggest challenge keeping me from going out more frequently  is getting my heavy boat out of a pretty inconvenient slip in fall/winter, when I really want to go out.  Boat lives on a mooring in spring/summer, which is obviously easy to leave from/get to - but better winds in fall/winter.)

Love the new Pelagic autopilot I installed this last summer!

28B0E606-304A-4E60-B20C-8A9D274B5B7D.jpeg

How do you like the autopilot?

3 hours ago, Cruiser2B said:

How do you like the autopilot?

Worth it, for sure.  Not a great deal of experience with it, but lots of folks have raced with them offshore (i.e., really put them to the test).  Brian Boschma, the guy who designed them and started the company, is the best example! 

I like that the electronics are all out of the weather.  Just the actuator arm‘s (linear drive) electrical cord and motor is “exposed“. (I’ll make a simple cover for it.)  I suspect it’ll last a good long while as compared to a Raymarine type (and I think price is similar).

James Baldwin, who’s got a few engineless solo circumnavigations under his belt, has a vid on installing one. (Which I only came across after I installed mine.  Was easy, but requires thinking through things since it’s modular/in components.)

Turned into such a nice afternoon, I went for a lunch time spin.  Wind picked up to a nice 8 to 12 knots right after these photos, not much tidal current, smooth bay, max speed 6.2 knots.  Saw a big tri out enjoying the nice afternoon sail, as well, looked double handed.

lunchsail1.jpg

lunchsail2.jpg

IMG_3591.jpg

• Like 1
On 11/10/2019 at 11:29 AM, Cruiser2B said:

Are you a single handed sailor?...did a bit this morning

Assuming again that this also means non-racing singlehanders, lets give this 78 year old singlejander a place in the “roll call”.  

5 months out from Japan to SoCal.  He made it, with a little help...

https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/coast-guard-rescues-man-homemade-sailboat-off-socal/

‘Yesterday, the Coast Guard towed a singlehander into port in Southern California after a five-month crossing from Japan in a homemade vessel. The 78-year-old skipper — who reportedly suffered through weeks of light winds — had been reprovisioned several times before finally asking for a tow.

“On October 29, the brother of the mariner notified Coast Guard District 11 command center watchstanders that his brother departed Japan at the end of May and was expected to arrive in San Francisco in late August,” a Coast Guard press release said. “Due to a lack of wind, the man aboard the sailing vessel Mayfly was delayed by two months, depleting his food and water supply.” ‘

Yep, single hand a bunch, double hand with Mrs. Sailordave a lot.    BDA 1-2 and races on the Bay.  Were sailing OPB out of the country in 2018, boat projects this year so next year we'll be back single/doubling.

OI000049.jpg

20150926_162925.jpg

• Like 1

Just wrapped up a little trip across the Gulf of Mexico solo to clear the mind...

The sort of mind-clearing that's required after trying to rotate images in forums. Le sigh. 

20191110_173624.thumb.jpg.a0ff0f584e7210e3f9b765d8d585e88f.jpg

• Like 1

This was leaving Double Island Point, and I remember looking East and thinking Vanuatu is only a few days that way...

This is a still taken off a Garmin 360Virb video, it's at less than half the recorded resolution as the file size is a hefty 10MB otherwise, but I thought it might be of interest to see how much fisheye effect you get from 360 degree cameras, it's not too bad considering they're only little lenses. solob.thumb.png.22905ee628cb1595caed9f44dccaf7b4.png

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I am offshore by myself the only one taking photos are border force, and they haven't shared, so I don't have recent pictures.  Inshore Dinah beach lets me play (2 up in picture which is 2 years old taken by committee boat). Last time out single handed 2 weeks ago.  Next time, probably saturday.

Resized_photo0_3154.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have been enjoying a windy (if cool) Spring of sailing here in New England. This pic was taken at the Colombia River Gorge.

During the pandemic have been fantasizing about shorthanded big boats. Darn that guy who bought the Schumacher 28 last month...

2016 Gorge - Marc planing 13996272_1188235604532627_5482238368598285118_o.jpg

• Like 1

been known to happen.. haven't done any racing yet this year, but I have had to boat out a couple times since everything went pearshaped.

did more of it back when I had the J30. did a little bit with the 36.7 since I had an extra roller furling headstay built for it.  the 35 is a bit of a handful, but it's still fun.

• 1 month later...

I joined this club a couple of months ago. Stock one design J/24, no provisions for singlehanding except for a tiller bungie. Only doing inshore races (because J/24) but it's been an adventure so far!

2020-05-31_05-04-59.jpg

• Like 1