Jump to content

Aussie/Kiwi ocean and club racers


Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, sailorgirl218 said:

I once sold a Laser for more than I bought it... and a Spiral.... The 470 on the other hand...... 

I sold my boat Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 for 50% more than I paid for it. Mind you to achieve that, I bought the boat in Greece when the Aussie dollar was high and over the next 8 years spent a fair bit on upgrades. Then I spent a fortune shipping it and paying taxes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Little update on the old Elliott 10.5 Refit project

We just enjoyed 2 weeks cruising great batrier island with 3 kids in our 80k 1980s wooden 4kt shitbox. Pretty good consdering that we managed to smash a Kerr 40, welborne 42 wedgetail and many others

Somebody is going to get a good deal, (I hope!). I don't even want to look at the ad, this was the boat I wanted to keep till you prised my cold dead hands off the helm   It's funny how life turn

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

I sold my boat Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 for 50% more than I paid for it. Mind you to achieve that, I bought the boat in Greece when the Aussie dollar was high and over the next 8 years spent a fair bit on upgrades. Then I spent a fortune shipping it and paying taxes.

Ha, if I had known that at the time...:lol:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

I sold my boat Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 for 50% more than I paid for it. Mind you to achieve that, I bought the boat in Greece when the Aussie dollar was high and over the next 8 years spent a fair bit on upgrades. Then I spent a fortune shipping it and paying taxes.

So 80k + this bonus + 80k you’ve saved not having a boat for two years = $200k budget ?? Syd38 & the 1st years costs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, sailorgirl218 said:

I once sold a Laser for more than I bought it... and a Spiral.... The 470 on the other hand...... 

I’ve made money on a 470. 

 

I got  it for $350 sailed it in a Lake Eyre regatta and alone the Birdsville track and sold it when I got home for $100 more that I paid for it and it had a hole in it as well. 

 

Pulpit

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

B358ED14-6B3D-4F39-8B73-CB6F845A7C5D.thumb.jpeg.0eaf42171d56559d1215c7be351201ba.jpeg

 

Drum roll time............

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

and the winner is 

 

 

 

 

 

Manual flush

394FC38C-12FC-431B-A6C2-C5822BFB524C.thumb.jpeg.3f683ad0ef4221b390c09867f0358027.jpeg
 

 

 

 

I’d like to thank everyone for their encouragement and support during my 2.5 year and 2 thread quest.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

What did you buy 

22 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

 

B358ED14-6B3D-4F39-8B73-CB6F845A7C5D.thumb.jpeg.0eaf42171d56559d1215c7be351201ba.jpeg

 

Drum roll time............

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

and the winner is 

 

 

 

 

 

Manual flush

394FC38C-12FC-431B-A6C2-C5822BFB524C.thumb.jpeg.3f683ad0ef4221b390c09867f0358027.jpeg
 

 

 

 

I’d like to thank everyone for their encouragement and support during my 2.5 year and 2 thread quest.

 

what did you buy mate?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Dark Knight said:

365 days a year and 366 on leap years

there was a joke in there about a recently divorced man finally buying a boat but - another time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

 

B358ED14-6B3D-4F39-8B73-CB6F845A7C5D.thumb.jpeg.0eaf42171d56559d1215c7be351201ba.jpeg

 

Drum roll time............

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

and the winner is 

 

 

 

 

 

Manual flush

394FC38C-12FC-431B-A6C2-C5822BFB524C.thumb.jpeg.3f683ad0ef4221b390c09867f0358027.jpeg
 

 

 

 

I’d like to thank everyone for their encouragement and support during my 2.5 year and 2 thread quest.

 

Now hoppy,

all you need to do now mate is go down to whitworths and you can upgrade to the more advanced electric model for a few $$$$ more and you will have a dream boat. 

 

Pulpit

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 3200?
 

 Short handed smaller boats are the future. Finding a crew is hard work. If we get more of them & the JPK’s sell plus the dehler 30 & the Farr boat & maybe the Figaro, seascape 27/first i reckon it will be a good fleet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SCANAS said:

The 3200?
 

 Short handed smaller boats are the future. Finding a crew is hard work. If we get more of them & the JPK’s sell plus the dehler 30 & the Farr boat & maybe the Figaro, seascape 27/first i reckon it will be a good fleet. 

There are 5 SF3200's in TopYacht. The Jeanneau dealer in Melbourne alone has launched 5 SF3300's in the past 9 months.

I was still looking at the 80k boats but also keeping an eye on the SF3200 "The Edge" in Perth, but dreaming. Then on the day 42 South was listed I showed the missus in the evening. She liked it and was happy for me to spend more on a recent boat (She hated the idea of some of the old boats). Before I got to contact the broker, it was under offer, then Steadfast showed up. 

Whilst it's not the latest and greatest, It's a modern design and suits my needs perfectly.

My club has a SF3200 already and I'm looking forward to being on the water with the SF3300's.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I think these designs are very practical, will only see more of them. 3300’s are ASO only aren’t they? 3200 has that extra versatility with the pole. Should be a bit nicer on the wallet than a 40’ on sails & rigging too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Yeah I think these designs are very practical, will only see more of them. 3300’s are ASO only aren’t they? 3200 has that extra versatility with the pole. Should be a bit nicer on the wallet than a 40’ on sails & rigging too. 

The cockpit is probably similar sized to that on my old SO40 and the aft cabins are huge. 

 

I am tempted to put on a larger bowsprit for bigger assy's. Looking at the ratings for "The edge" (larger BS) and 42 South (Fat head main) and a standard SF3200, the larger BS does not seem to impact the rating so much if I go no bigger than what the Edge has (SPL or is it STL 4.99) The fat head seemed to hit 42S hard

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Dark Knight said:

The cockpit is probably similar sized to that on my old SO40 and the aft cabins are huge. 

 

I am tempted to put on a larger bowsprit for bigger assy's. Looking at the ratings for "The edge" (larger BS) and 42 South (Fat head main) and a standard SF3200, the larger BS does not seem to impact the rating so much if I go no bigger than what the Edge has (SPL or is it STL 4.99) The fat head seemed to hit 42S hard

Didn’t @BooBoo have the NZ demo boat for a while? He might give you some advice on where to put any extra sqm2 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Dark Knight said:

Right now my priority is to get it to Melb and then get it to Cat 2 for the King Island race in March. Need to borrow some crew if I'm going have a chance to enter the race.

Where is it currently?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rushman said:

Where is it currently?

Port Hacking... I ran Dan's gauntlet and drove up Friday but had come back yesterday. The bloody rental 4 person liferaft would not fit the locker. It was lighter than my old 8 person but not smaller....

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

Didn’t @BooBoo have the NZ demo boat for a while? He might give you some advice on where to put any extra sqm2 

BooBoo was racing the bigger SunFast 3600 demo boat. A different boat.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

BooBoo was racing the bigger SunFast 3600 demo boat. A different boat.

Yeah we’ve got a couple of the 3600’s round here inc the widely travelled Mister Lucky 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good job Hoppy.

Toilet looks nice and shiny. To do the upgrade to the electric version just take money out of the housekeeping.

Sail safe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DtM said:

Good job Hoppy.

Toilet looks nice and shiny. To do the upgrade to the electric version just take money out of the housekeeping.

Sail safe.

The electric conversion costs more than a new electric toilet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, armchairadmiral said:

Yes....at last & the waiting ( for us ) is ,sadly,  over. Please sell it soon and kickstart this forum again. It's highly entertaining. Oh and  keep us up to date please. Meantime happy sailing.....

Dk is moving to Qld

he will leave the sport soon

Link to post
Share on other sites

And just who is putting their hand up to explain the local port/starboard rules to him?

Wouldn't like to see that nice new boat damaged.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We/re in lockdown so perusing the sites.

I see Nips was on offer but showing as llisted again. Beachball still for sale. Avalanche looks best. IRC of 1.15 seems low. But looking at the photos it might be detuned for sail area? Of the Sydney 38s  has 1 gone.? - I can never pronounce it's name

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jono said:

We/re in lockdown so perusing the sites.

I see Nips was on offer but showing as llisted again. Beachball still for sale. Avalanche looks best. IRC of 1.15 seems low. But looking at the photos it might be detuned for sail area? Of the Sydney 38s  has 1 gone.? - I can never pronounce it's name

I guess you mean this Milli Vanilli Mille Sabords

The Sydney 36 Philosopher is now sold and another in Perth is under offer.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

I guess you mean this Milli Vanilli Mille Sabords

The Sydney 36 Philosopher is now sold and another in Perth is under offer.

 

 

 

 

I have an out of service raft if you want to borrow

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2021 at 1:59 PM, Jono said:

We/re in lockdown so perusing the sites.

I see Nips was on offer but showing as llisted again. Beachball still for sale. Avalanche looks best. IRC of 1.15 seems low. But looking at the photos it might be detuned for sail area? Of the Sydney 38s  has 1 gone.? - I can never pronounce it's name

What is Avalanche?

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Rawhide said:

What is Avalanche?

You start with an old Farr 40 OD and get Rob Hick to cut and shut IRC wise.

More form stability and less draft

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2021 at 2:24 PM, Livia said:

You start with an old Farr 40 OD and get Rob Hick to cut and shut IRC wise.

More form stability and less draft

Sure take one of the best yachts of the last 30 years and chop it up. I can guess how that worked out for them

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Rawhide said:

Sure take one of the best yachts of the last 30 years and chop it up. I can guess how that worked out for them

Not sure it rated much lower anyway on IRC, 1.145 v. 1.152ish

Be interesting to see the righting moments

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rawhide said:

Sure take one of the best yachts of the last 30 years and chop it up. I can guess how that worked out for them

Delam or wet core donor IIRC

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Delam or wet core donor IIRC

No more problems than any other of her ilk.  Owner was getting out of the game.  Pity she had a killer IRC rating for a 40 too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2021 at 1:42 PM, The Dark Knight said:

Dan won't let me go more than 5km from home.

Was up last weekend moving her from Port Hacking

 

BDE0E921-1C23-4CA7-8369-8A292B681480.jpeg

Congratulations Hopster! Why didn't you get Jack to give you a hand on the delivery? He doesn't have much on by the look of his post count and if you need to know anything about the boat you can just ask him.

He knows everything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

And if the rumour's true I know where it's going but we'll wait for confirmation

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DtM said:

Yeah, Hoppy half admitted in an earlier post that he is leaving Mexico and moving to LB15 land.

Actually in Brisvegas now checking out the lay of the land.

 

There seems to be a lot of churches and sex shops up here. A legacy of Joh I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DtM said:

One lot catering to LB15 and the other lot trying to forgive his sins.

 

I parked outside what I thought was the entrance to the chandlery in Manly. Only to realise it was a thai massage. 

I'm starting to better understand the QLD posters on SA.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can understand them it's time to leave.

Or the next step is to become one of them!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoppy will change his name to the White Knight, charge in a fix it all with his ideas from Mexico !!

Hoppy for Commodore of all of SEQ yacht clubs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DtM said:

Hoppy will change his name to the White Knight, charge in a fix it all with his ideas from Mexico !!

Hoppy for Commodore of all of SEQ yacht clubs.

You mean like “Sailpass”

Link to post
Share on other sites

Big night at the Lota Fishing and Fighting Club on Wednesday.

As usual there will be more security guards than attendees at the meeting.

In true Trump style, the Financial Report which is the reason for the meeting will only be made available to members after the meeting is over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TUBBY said:

If you can understand them it's time to leave.

Or the next step is to become one of them!

Yes if you can understand the girls in the Thai massage joint when they are speaking Thai, you are right, it is time to leave. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2021 at 9:15 PM, wal' said:

And if the rumour's true I know where it's going but we'll wait for confirmation

 

Rumour not true - so I'm no better off than before

 

........ no surprises there......

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last heard of in Melbourne & looking sad.

I dearly hope someone rescues her she was too good to die like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TUBBY said:

Last heard of in Melbourne & looking sad.

I dearly hope someone rescues her she was too good to die like that.

Any leads?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, huwp said:

Yes, was at rycv a while back but I haven't been there for a while

She is parked on a private marina berth on the south side of Docklands,  a few hundred metres downstream from Yarra's Edge Marina. Sadly, she hasn't moved from there for a long time.

IMG_8039.thumb.PNG.ec36d487b6b24bb190ffb9d4f36bbe0c.PNG

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TUBBY said:

Those Rolex stickers last well.

That one would date back to 08!

The Rx sticker would look much nicer on her original silver livery. Pooh Brown is most unbecoming for any yacht.

Link to post
Share on other sites