Aussie/Kiwi ocean and club racers

so uhhhh, anyone want an Imoca?

https://www.tradeaboat.co.nz/detail/imoca-60-861736

In other news, TP52 Envy Scooters has been purchased by team Crush over in WA, and is currently being transported. 

WA has another boat up for grabs, the previous fastest boat on the water 'Indian',

https://www.seahorsemagazine.com/raceboats-search/ad/31-to-55,19/carkeek-47-grand-prix,1406

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Little update on the old Elliott 10.5 Refit project

We just enjoyed 2 weeks cruising great batrier island with 3 kids in our 80k 1980s wooden 4kt shitbox. Pretty good consdering that we managed to smash a Kerr 40, welborne 42 wedgetail and many others

I just brought the Ross 1066 Margaritaville. More of a cruiser racer which appealed to the wife a lot more than the motorboat and the shallow draft (2.25m) means that we can keep it on our mooring up

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Jono said:

Marine Auctions has Atomic at $3,000. It looks like a pretty complex twilighter but would it make a good donor boat? Looks like it has everything current. Does it have any history?

I just don't see why anyone would want it? Sooooo complex and expensive to maintain just for twilights, and its not like Aus is renowned for it's inshore racing scene other than tp52's, so why bother? Just doesn't seem to have a niche to excel in.  Same story for the Int.12m Gretel II in Hobart, no competition, and only gets raced once/year, if at all, yet costs 100's of thousands to maintain. 

But G11 is just so pretty to look at!

Mind you as excrew (when she was racing as a 12) she is looks much better from the deck of another boat!

That girl could really hurt people!

9 hours ago, TUBBY said:

But G11 is just so pretty to look at!

Mind you as excrew (when she was racing as a 12) she is looks much better from the deck of another boat!

That girl could really hurt people!

I agree, by far the prettiest boat in town, every time I walk past I have to take a minute to stare.

I just wish I could see her out on the water more often for twilight's, or the harbour racing series etc... 

On 10/24/2021 at 8:12 AM, Fintho said:

I agree, by far the prettiest boat in town, every time I walk past I have to take a minute to stare.

I just wish I could see her out on the water more often for twilight's, or the harbour racing series etc... 

It is a shame - I helped look after her, and skippered her for a few years in Sydney with the owner away, and we took her out every Friday with the RSYS, and also did the SASC Sundays and spinnaker Winter series. Mind you by the end of each season I was a quivering wreck, sailing a 32 tonne 12 metre around Sydney Harbour amongst idiots - a lot of them people wanting to come close to have a look!

Best memory is one afternoon race we had to do an emergency gybe to avoid a humpback mother and calf off Shark Island - that was fun under spinnaker in a reasonable westerly

Hopefully once lockdown is over the owner and some of us Sydney regulars will get down there more often. We always have a blast when we're there - open water, very little traffic.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, mccroc said:

Hopefully once lockdown is over the owner and some of us Sydney regulars will get down there more often. We always have a blast when we're there - open water, very little traffic.

So uhhhh, need someone to crank some winches and pack kites when that happens?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Fintho said:

So uhhhh, need someone to crank some winches and pack kites when that happens?

19 hours ago, mccroc said:

I'll be available to be rail bait or help pack kites :) 

• Like 2

Ever seen the way rail meat is stacked on a 12?

Basically you are laying on the side of the hull with an arm and a leg on the deck.  Was fun in 20+ off Freo!

• Like 2
20 hours ago, TUBBY said:

Ever seen the way rail meat is stacked on a 12?

Basically you are laying on the side of the hull with an arm and a leg on the deck.  Was fun in 20+ off Freo!

That sounds similar to keen Adams 10 sailors

8 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

That sounds similar to keen Adams 10 sailors

And Adams 8, owned a Adams 8, called Madam,  she laid flat in 20kets of breeze without crew stacked on the rail

4 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/listing/3319495565

This would be a good family cruiser / club racer?

You buying it Jase? Looks like it has head room! Can always up the statistics... You know... taller rig, bigger prodder deeper keel ;)

It is a big boat family. They own a Volvo 65, the Queen of Auckland racing from 30s to 60s - Ranger, and this boat Innismara. Plus an internationally recognised boatyard.

Innismara was rescued and rebuilt to save a cool boat and give the apprentices wooden boat experience. Well known as a quick boat downwind - one of the early downwind planers. Nickname is The Pencil.

3 hours ago, JonRowe said:

You buying it Jase? Looks like it has head room! Can always up the statistics... You know... taller rig, bigger prodder deeper keel ;)

There’s only one problem… it’s twice my budget, twice the length, in NZ and it’s a yacht. OK… four problems.

If the wife found out I bought that instead of the motor cruiser I’ve been promising/looking for I’d need the boat to also be “live aboard.”

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Great, this gives the thread new legs.

$40k, 33ft live aboard sailboat for Jason.

Must have electric head! And power boats are in scope.

That should keep you blokes busy for another 4-5 pages…

2 hours ago, Jono said:

It is a big boat family. They own a Volvo 65, the Queen of Auckland racing from 30s to 60s - Ranger, and this boat Innismara. Plus an internationally recognised boatyard.

Innismara was rescued and rebuilt to save a cool boat and give the apprentices wooden boat experience. Well known as a quick boat downwind - one of the early downwind planers. Nickname is The Pencil.

Isn’t the other nickname The War Canoe? That’s worth the $80k all by itself?

8 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

Must have electric head! And power boats are in scope.

That should keep you blokes busy for another 4-5 pages…

The power boat sounds like it kills the need to be a live aboard. Where's the fun in that.

13 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

The power boat sounds like it kills the need to be a live aboard. Where's the fun in that.

I’m just keeping my options open. If it’s a really nice powerboat with a fridge big enough to keep a pallet of beer cold then I won’t care if she doesn't leave me. I’ll be drunk!

1 hour ago, Jason AUS said:

I’m just keeping my options open. If it’s a really nice powerboat with a fridge big enough to keep a pallet of beer cold then I won’t care if she doesn't leave me. I’ll be drunk!

Jason,

The only problem with a big power boat that carries that much beer is being able to afford the extra women that go with owning the boat as well as keeping the wife and her not finding out.

Now if you do buy a power boat, just make shore that your iTunes account and phones are not linked with your wife's. Otherwise it could  help her lawyer in the divorce when she fines out. 

Pulpit

2 hours ago, pulpit said:

Jason,

The only problem with a big power boat that carries that much beer is being able to afford the extra women that go with owning the boat as well as keeping the wife and her not finding out.

Now if you do buy a power boat, just make shore that your iTunes account and phones are not linked with your wife's. Otherwise it could  help her lawyer in the divorce when she fines out. 

Pulpit

Tell me more…

3 hours ago, pulpit said:

Jason,

Pulpit

53 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

Tell me more…

Well Jason 

I know a well known property developer (not Worro)  in Qld who owns a 97 foot power boat who had his phone linked to his wife's for  business reasons. Well when he started to have the affair he forgot that the phone was linked and his wife was getting all the messages from both of then.

She kept quiet and didn't say a thing till she was ready to leave him and within days her lawyer took him to the cleaners

The problem with big boats is we can all afford to own them, it's the hangers on and the extra women that cost.

Pulpit 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Livia said:

Easy to keep the thread going, fins Jas a new boat.

https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/masters-34-flybridge/262524

Jas

Pretty much perfect weekender.

Should not have sold the one I had.

Livia

The Moulds are sitting in Taree area, I'm told the owner would give them to you

Pulpit

4 hours ago, pulpit said:

Well Jason 

I know a well known property developer (not Worro)  in Qld who owns a 97 foot power boat who had his phone linked to his wife's for  business reasons. Well when he started to have the affair he forgot that the phone was linked and his wife was getting all the messages from both of then.

She kept quiet and didn't say a thing till she was ready to leave him and within days her lawyer took him to the cleaners. 

So that’s a 97 footer, going cheap and probably has at least one electric toilet? Sold!

3 hours ago, Livia said:

Easy to keep the thread going, fins Jas a new boat.

https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/masters-34-flybridge/262524

Jas

Pretty much perfect weekender.

Should not have sold the one I had.

I was a fan of that boat. Even an Aquarius 35 would fit the bill.

https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/aquarius-34-flybridge-cruiser/268705

Or… we pop two new boats out of the moulds?

Unless there’s an Anarchist in WA who has some background on the Randell 31? 
https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/randell-31-flybridge-sports-fisherman-great-all-rounder-and-well-priced-to-sell/255907

Speaking as someone who's spent very little on motorboats, the fairways seem to have an easily driven hull and good aesthetics. 

1_4.jpg

https://yachthub.com/list/search.html?action=adv_search&se_region=oceania&statE=all&new=New+and+Used+Boats&cate=All&makeid=601&Make_Model=Fairway&hull_material=all&keywords=&price_from=1&price_to=1000000000&Lengthfrom=&Lengthto=&feetfrom=&feetto=&yearfrom=&yearto=&order_by=added_desc&currency=&poa=yes

I also admired "Hermione" when I was growing up (something I'm still trying to do decades later), and she was in Hobart... she was once a pure motorboat, but the motorsailor conversion suits her. 

IMG_5653bw.jpg

https://woodenboatshop.com.au/Hermione-III

1 hour ago, Jason AUS said:

I was a fan of that boat. Even an Aquarius 35 would fit the bill.

https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/aquarius-34-flybridge-cruiser/268705

Or… we pop two new boats out of the moulds?

Unless there’s an Anarchist in WA who has some background on the Randell 31? 
https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/randell-31-flybridge-sports-fisherman-great-all-rounder-and-well-priced-to-sell/255907

looking a bit 

image.png.500f5af46e39dc66805c301200d2cdd0.png

When I here Randell, I think of these...

https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/randell-32-flybridge-cruiser/265822

• Like 1

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2009-transat-mini-prototype/SSE-AD-7469367/?Cr=6

Shit like this is hard to see. Was last listed around a year ago in WA for less than 17,000, now for sale in Vic in a worse state for $2k more. I doubt it even still floats. 

And to top it off they reckon its a "weekend cruiser"...

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Fintho said:

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2009-transat-mini-prototype/SSE-AD-7469367/?Cr=6

Shit like this is hard to see. Was last listed around a year ago in WA for less than 17,000, now for sale in Vic in a worse state for $2k more. I doubt it even still floats. 

Modern Raymarine autopilot, stereo, GPS antenna

But but it has a stereo, that makes it a weekend cruiser no? 

1 minute ago, vokstar said:

But but it has a stereo, that makes it a weekend cruiser no? 

And it sleeps a whopping two people, if they snuggle up on a spinnaker bag!!! pretty much a classic cruiser if you think about it

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Fintho said:

I like it, but not at 19k in that condition, interested to see the canting keel, is it me or that keel looks a bit small for the size and what could be when powered up she might get up and go?

14 hours ago, Y88 said:

I like it, but not at 19k in that condition, interested to see the canting keel, is it me or that keel looks a bit small for the size and what could be when powered up she might get up and go?

I don't know how familiar you are with the mini650 class, but they really do get up and go. 

I guess that the keel drops down much further, and is canted with blocks and lines, as is standard for the prototype class.

2 hours ago, Fintho said:

I guess that the keel drops down much further, and is canted with blocks and lines, as is standard for the prototype class.

You can see the keel is not connected, its currently up through the centre of the boat, which is likely a later modification to allow it to be trailerable without being high up, non of the current protos have that feature, they take the keel off entirely if they want to trailer "low rider" style.

9 hours ago, JonRowe said:

You can see the keel is not connected, its currently up through the centre of the boat, which is likely a later modification to allow it to be trailerable without being high up, non of the current protos have that feature, they take the keel off entirely if they want to trailer "low rider" style.

Compared to modern proto's or even series boats this thing would be absolutely no match anyway, but its still a shame to see it rotting away...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Fintho said:

Fuck me, thats a pretty funky looking bowsprit attachment point.

Seems cheap too for what looks like a pretty quick boat...

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/sailing-boats/murray-burns-dovell-41/269097

1_4.jpg

Great boat and Terrafirma will have great memories of this boat.

It was a fun time building this boat and still has plenty of life left in her. 

Pulpit  

• Like 2
On 11/9/2021 at 7:36 PM, Fintho said:

I don't know how familiar you are with the mini650 class, but they really do get up and go. 

On 11/9/2021 at 7:36 PM, Fintho said:

I did watch the MiniTransat race. Very capable boats in all conditions, how long until they are foiling? 

This ones FS $37k US

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for-sale/make-mini-transat/

• Like 1
On 10/31/2021 at 9:29 AM, The Dark Knight said:

Great, this gives the thread new legs.

$40k, 33ft live aboard sailboat for Jason.

It stretches the budget, but it’s got enough teak to be interesting.

I just get stuck on the brand… what’s the story, bro?

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/storebro-royal-cruiser-31-biscay-family-cruiser-fishing/225876

I’d heard of the name but that’s it.

Small boat builders in Sweden seem to survive quite well. There are quite a few and there certainly is a lot of Patriotic boat buyers there which keep the companies in business, but I think Swedish boats are popular in Northern Europe on the whole. 

Swedes are pretty good on the quality build stuff.

I believe that there are more boats than people in Stockholm, but that does include dinghy’s  and the like.

http://storebro.se/historia/

8 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

35 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

But does it have an electric shitter?

Hoppy

Most of us don't need an electric shitter on a boat. It was only you that needed to have a electric shitter when you first started to look for a new  boat. 

Pulpit

1 hour ago, pulpit said:

Hoppy

Most of us don't need an electric shitter on a boat. It was only you that needed to have a electric shitter when you first started to look for a new  boat. 

Pulpit

Actually, didn't you start the electric.

When I was interested in the Mumm 36, I did talk about replacing the porta-potty. My cruiser had 2 manual pump Jabscos...   

22 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Actually, didn't you start the electric.

When I was interested in the Mumm 36, I did talk about replacing the porta-potty. My cruiser had 2 manual pump Jabscos...   

Yes mate I did. 

Pulpit

On 11/23/2021 at 8:22 PM, pulpit said:

Hoppy

Pulpit

I have two small girls... I need the electric shitter. Otherwise I’m going to spend my days answering the call of “Daaaaaaaad! I can't pump the haaaaaandle. Daaaaaaaaddddddd!!!!!”

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

I have two small girls... I need the electric shitter. Otherwise I’m going to spend my days answering the call of “Daaaaaaaad! I can't pump the haaaaaandle. Daaaaaaaaddddddd!!!!!”

I have a nearly 5yo and it will be interesting to see if I need to upgrade

On 10/31/2021 at 11:44 AM, Jason AUS said:

Isn’t the other nickname The War Canoe? That’s worth the $80k all by itself?

well the name Eric Wing gave it was....." a kennel full of rabbits".......

Update on the Ross 10.66 that I brought last year, had a lot of work done and a total rebranding. Was originally launched as  Margaritaville in 2003, now ROGUE II (the name goes along with the theme from our 2 year adventure sailing our beneteau 50 'Rogue' down from france to NZ as a family 3 years ago)

Put a furling headsail on it for cruising with the old rod forestay to swap out for the bigger races, added a hot water cylinder with a hot shower, anchor winch ect.  Built a spray dodger, boom tent and lee cloths around the cockpit to make the family cruising a bit easier. Loads of other upgrades done and sails built with plenty more to come. Chipping away at the job list and the wish list.

Next race is the SSANZ northern triangle late Feb, Then a few coastal races before the longer 3 kings race, but for the next 4-5 weeks shes taking our family of 5 on a summer holiday to the far north.

Loving the boat, such a good mix of racing and cruising, a Kevlar and foam hull with all carbon structure and a carbon rig. Shes Fast, roomy and comfortable. Pretty shallow 2.25m keel with 1600kg on the bottom means I can keep it up the river just outside the house. Pretty much like it was custom built for what I want...

See photo of the boat in cruise mode, excuse the stackpacks mismatched color, its an old one I had from a previous project and only goes on the boat for the sumer cruise.

Hoping for some more good raft ups this season.

Rogue Cruising.jpeg

raft up NY2.jpg

Rogue II spinnaker.jpg

772997897_RogueIICruising.jpg

• Like 5
2 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Always wanted one of those & the spare 50-100k a year to campaign it. 

The cost of keeping my 30'er  compliant and properly fit for purpose at a short handed weekend hack sort of level isn't insignificant. The cost would be 1/2 that of a 40'er, without taking into account things  like insurance for a  carbon rig with running backstays. 

29 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

The cost of keeping my 30'er  compliant and properly fit for purpose at a short handed weekend hack sort of level isn't insignificant. The cost would be 1/2 that of a 40'er, without taking into account things  like insurance for a  carbon rig with running backstays. 

I meant trying to win some IRC pickle dishes amongst a good 40’r fleet around the cans & coastal. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, [email protected] said:

It’s always interesting to keep track of boats. It was listed in Sydney for around 100k and then went to tassie and after a few months was relisted for about 130k sporting the new bowsprit and unwanted it seems.

9 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

It’s always interesting to keep track of boats. It was listed in Sydney for around 100k and then went to tassie and after a few months was relisted for about 130k sporting the new bowsprit and unwanted it seems.

Another newcomer owner burnt by the sport and leaving it completely.

Pretty impressive fleet over the years though.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

If its the same Kiribilli (and I don't see why it wouldn't be) the bowsprit was on it in Sydney, its not strictly a Farr 40 as its one of the 3 prototypes (hence its a kevlar hull and the carbon rig), its a great inshore boat, lots of fun.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, JonRowe said:

If its the same Kiribilli (and I don't see why it wouldn't be) the bowsprit was on it in Sydney, its not strictly a Farr 40 as its one of the 3 prototypes (hence its a kevlar hull and the carbon rig), its a great inshore boat, lots of fun.

Yes, it’s the same Farr 40 ILC. I guess I was confused about the BS being added.