Jump to content

inexperienced couple buy a p.o.s. catamaran


Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

It’s pure, stupid entertainment for the masses...

51A0D286-75D6-480F-9CA9-F96EB26FB0D2.jpeg

Yet another reason not to tune in. Plenty of other cool stuff to watch. Maybe an old Joe Pass concert, or maybe Rushad crunching it, or maybe even a bass fishing video. Yeah, that would be more entertaining than watching a fiberglass train wreck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey folks!! Squeaky here! Hahaha I'll start by saying thank you for the hundreds of giggles that you all gave me with this thread!!!! Its pretty epic! Never thought I'd go along with a group of folks

FTFY. It's a catamaran...

Bahahahahah!!!! I had fun with this!! 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, fastyacht said:

Yet another reason not to tune in. Plenty of other cool stuff to watch. Maybe an old Joe Pass concert, or maybe Rushad crunching it, or maybe even a bass fishing video. Yeah, that would be more entertaining than watching a fiberglass train wreck.

My wife just told me a couple of days ago that she saw Joe Pass, Oscar Peterson, and Ella Fitzgerald together live in Toronto many years ago. Man, I would have loved to have seen that.

Nevermind, carry on.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

My wife just told me a couple of days ago that she saw Joe Pass, Oscar Peterson, and Ella Fitzgerald together live in Toronto many years ago. Man, I would have loved to have seen that.

Nevermind, carry on.

That would have been epic! What a great (unforgettable) memory.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh God help them!

  • They are about to discover what B.O.A.T. stands for.
  • What do you wager rudders will cost?
  • What do you bet the boat will look worse than it already does after they start "working" on it?

People who buy POS basket cases are not prepared to pay boatyard fees, even at the cheapest-ass DIY yards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Oh God help them!

  • They are about to discover what B.O.A.T. stands for.
  • What do you wager rudders will cost?
  • What do you bet the boat will look worse than it already does after they start "working" on it?

People who buy POS basket cases are not prepared to pay boatyard fees, even at the cheapest-ass DIY yards.

It will be on Craigslist by spring...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2019 at 11:24 AM, Ishmael said:

My wife just told me a couple of days ago that she saw Joe Pass, Oscar Peterson, and Ella Fitzgerald together live in Toronto many years ago. Man, I would have loved to have seen that.

Nevermind, carry on.

I saw Oscar Peterson and Ella Fitzgerald together many years ago at an outdoor venue.  Great performers, great evening!

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Oh God help them!

  • They are about to discover what B.O.A.T. stands for.
  • What do you wager rudders will cost?
  • What do you bet the boat will look worse than it already does after they start "working" on it?

People who buy POS basket cases are not prepared to pay boatyard fees, even at the cheapest-ass DIY yards.

Oh, come on. All you nattering nabobs of negativity have no faith. Did he not say they have a patreon page set up? All will be well with OPM.

(And yes, they are about to get schooled on cost. Rudders will cost more than they can afford, even with OPM. Will they try to build their own rutters? That could be entertaining. As for how the boat will look after suffering some work from its current caretakers I do have to go with worse than it does now.)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2019 at 8:02 PM, basketcase said:

jfc.......

 

 

Kind of the opposite of Leo and Sampson Boat Co.

These kids couldn't even on their own turn the boat around at the dock.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

And they are laffing their way to the f/ing bank. 30k views.

I think that gets them somewhere between $1.05 and $150. Not a lot of change after dinner and a night's lodging.

They may get some from patreon and other gifts...it may be a couple more vids before they compete with Ryan Kaji ($22 million earnings on you tube)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes our comments appear to be both elitist and paternalistic.  "Back in my day, I had to serve two years before the mast, go 'round the horn the wrong way, build a boat from hand and navigate the stars.  In the snow.  Uphill, both directions."  "These people need to spend thousands more and get a real boat, like I had several years ago, whether it nearly drove me to bankruptcy or not.  That's how my dad did it and that's how I did it."  "Kids today want everything for free...I had to earn it all the hard way."

 If you want to subscribe or donate or whatever, fine.  If not, don't.  It feels like begging to me, but crowd sourcing is what the new generation does and for them, it's perfectly acceptable. Besides, these two are out doing something-and going somewhere- on a boat whilst I'm sitting at a desk looking out the window writing this rather than spending time in a boat and you're sitting somewhere reading rather than spending time in a boat. Maybe they'll get south and sell it ,or give it away, or chop up into landfill material.   At least they'll have an adventure that they can tell to their kids and grandkids someday.  "You kids today want to fly around in jetpacks and air taxis.  Back in our day, we floated down the ICW on a whim and actually experienced the out of doors before they covered it with a plexiglas bubble."  I say go for it and have fun.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hawaiidart said:

Sometimes our comments appear to be both elitist and paternalistic.  "Back in my day, I had to serve two years before the mast, go 'round the horn the wrong way, build a boat from hand and navigate the stars.  In the snow.  Uphill, both directions."  "These people need to spend thousands more and get a real boat, like I had several years ago, whether it nearly drove me to bankruptcy or not.  That's how my dad did it and that's how I did it."  "Kids today want everything for free...I had to earn it all the hard way."

 If you want to subscribe or donate or whatever, fine.  If not, don't.  It feels like begging to me, but crowd sourcing is what the new generation does and for them, it's perfectly acceptable. Besides, these two are out doing something-and going somewhere- on a boat whilst I'm sitting at a desk looking out the window writing this rather than spending time in a boat and you're sitting somewhere reading rather than spending time in a boat. Maybe they'll get south and sell it ,or give it away, or chop up into landfill material.   At least they'll have an adventure that they can tell to their kids and grandkids someday.  "You kids today want to fly around in jetpacks and air taxis.  Back in our day, we floated down the ICW on a whim and actually experienced the out of doors before they covered it with a plexiglas bubble."  I say go for it and have fun.

OK sort of.

I spent an hour and a half on one of my boats today--in the winter months--after work on a weekday.  And here I am sneaking a retort in on SA!

The "problem" with "these kids" is that they *could have* easily done better. But didn't or chose not to. Which may have been a calculated scheme. Makes for better T.V. Kind of like SV Rusty Junk.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Haha! After. It was a strange experience.

That must have been something! 

When I was in high school I had a small book titled The Wisdom of Spiro T. Agnew.  It was a compendium of some of the weird, funny and outrageous things he has said.  

Image result for the wisdom of spiro agnew book             Image result for the wisdom of spiro agnew book

I shook Bill Clinton's hand in Korea back in the '90s.  That's all I got.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

That must have been something! 

When I was in high school I had a small book titled The Wisdom of Spiro T. Agnew.  It was a compendium of some of the weird, funny and outrageous things he has said.  

Image result for the wisdom of spiro agnew book             Image result for the wisdom of spiro agnew book

I shook Bill Clinton's hand in Korea back in the '90s.  That's all I got.

Oh. My. God.

I never knew about this one!

I never met Bill Clinton. But I did meet Hilary in the 90s. And George HW in the 80s, the latter was taking a walk and went by my house. I was chopping wood holding a big ax. The Secret Service guys didn't show any concern at all as we chatted. I wonder what that would look like today?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

Oh. My. God.

I never knew about this one!

I never met Bill Clinton. But I did meet Hilary in the 90s. And George HW in the 80s, the latter was taking a walk and went by my house. I was chopping wood holding a big ax. The Secret Service guys didn't show any concern at all as we chatted. I wonder what that would look like today?

You would probably have been on the ground, on your belly and handcuffed with a knee in your back!

When I saw Clinton, I was on the rope line about 30 feet from the POTUS podium.  Bill was pretty impressive in person, he definitely had 'It'.  The hat he is wearing was from the "Black Cat' U2 squadron at Osan Air Base where he spoke.  The speech was at the U2 squadron area which was a separate secure area inside the secure air base.  I got some great photos of him.  After his speech he came down the rope line shaking hands.  A little after he passed me, a guy shoved a book toward Bill, maybe he wanted an autograph, I don't know.  Quicker than shit one Secret service agent pulled Bills arm down, and pulled Bill back as Bill reached for the book, while another one very firmly grabbed the guys arm, moved it away, and liberated the object.  It happened in the blink of an eye, very impressive.

Do you live in Georgetown or something?  

Apparently you can get a copy of the Agnew book on Amazon if you like.

 

BC.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have opposing responses to things like this - on one hand, I am happy to see folks get off the sofa, get an old boat, and actually take the effort to try to fix her up and restore her to service, and to learn a LOT along the way.  On the other hand - it's dismaying to see people jump in without doing sufficient research, seemingly unaware of the better options/approaches that would seem to suit their objective.  

Either way?  They've had an adventure on the water, haven't hurt themselves or anyone else, and I hope they get things worked out so that they can enjoy a boat for a while. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I have opposing responses to things like this - on one hand, I am happy to see folks get off the sofa, get an old boat, and actually take the effort to try to fix her up and restore her to service, and to learn a LOT along the way.  On the other hand - it's dismaying to see people jump in without doing sufficient research, seemingly unaware of the better options/approaches that would seem to suit their objective.  

Either way?  They've had an adventure on the water, haven't hurt themselves or anyone else, and I hope they get things worked out so that they can enjoy a boat for a while. 

They certainly seem to be having fun in all of their videos.  Of course it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

 Bill was pretty impressive in person, he definitely had 'It'. 

BC.jpg

My wife met Clinton on Robson street outside her branch.

She said he had the strongest charisma she had ever experienced. She said when he shook her hand the super busy, noisy street just faded away.

And just to be clear - neither of us were huge fans or anything - as Soaker said, he just had "it" in spades.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:36 PM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Sorry - my irony didn’t show through (like the sunlight shines through their wafer-thin hull :-) :-)

 

If the gelcoat is thin it will shine through ANY thickness solid glass hull, its is after all glass.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:31 PM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

You’re missing it:

AND wife.  (They seem to be of the American South persuasion. :-) )

Can't be his wife, otherwise it would be "WE bought a catamaran". Unless of course he's one of those douches who refers to everything as his.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I have opposing responses to things like this - on one hand, I am happy to see folks get off the sofa, get an old boat, and actually take the effort to try to fix her up and restore her to service, and to learn a LOT along the way.  On the other hand - it's dismaying to see people jump in without doing sufficient research, seemingly unaware of the better options/approaches that would seem to suit their objective.  

Either way?  They've had an adventure on the water, haven't hurt themselves or anyone else, and I hope they get things worked out so that they can enjoy a boat for a while. 

I think that's my point.  Yeah, they could've done it differently but it's not like they've taken off for Fiji and will inevitably have to be rescued by someone risking their life while incurring great expense.  While I've never done it, the ICW seems like a good place to meander in relative safety.  Later on, they'll probably get frustrated and get rid of the catamaran and move on to something bigger or better, or say to themselves, "Well, that was fun; now we need to get jobs." Personally,  I don't like the idea of crowdsourcing, except perhaps for a true emergency, so I won't be contributing. At the same time, I can't be hypocritical: I did watch the two Youtube videos posted here and so did most of us on this thread who are decrying their choices. If they make a few bucks from an advertiser due to the clicks, good for them.  It's still not my money.  And as long as they don't want or need my tax dollars due to their naivety, I say go for them to go for it while they still can.

Maybe we should we have a thread about criticizing Huck Finn over his choice of rafts?  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hawaiidart said:

I think that's my point.  Yeah, they could've done it differently but it's not like they've taken off for Fiji and will inevitably have to be rescued by someone risking their life while incurring great expense.  While I've never done it, the ICW seems like a good place to meander in relative safety.  Later on, they'll probably get frustrated and get rid of the catamaran and move on to something bigger or better, or say to themselves, "Well, that was fun; now we need to get jobs." Personally,  I don't like the idea of crowdsourcing, except perhaps for a true emergency, so I won't be contributing. At the same time, I can't be hypocritical: I did watch the two Youtube videos posted here and so did most of us on this thread who are decrying their choices. If they make a few bucks from an advertiser due to the clicks, good for them.  It's still not my money.  And as long as they don't want or need my tax dollars due to their naivety, I say go for them to go for it while they still can.

Maybe we should we have a thread about criticizing Huck Finn over his choice of rafts?  

Well, they're getting use out of what would be another derelict thrown-away old production boat. So that's good. They're a little higher up the pecking order than Hot Rod and his catamabarge.

Huck Finn should totally have chosen a raft made out of better-seasoned hardwoods. He clearly lacked the knowledge of variable density and permeability of different lumber types> Aside from that, they left the bark on, the barbarians!

FB- Doug

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

  he just had "it" in spades.

He had ‘it’ in many places. Including the Oval Office. BTW, does anyone know why they made it oval? Is their some symbolism behind it? Can’t hide in the corner or something? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

He had ‘it’ in many places. Including the Oval Office. BTW, does anyone know why they made it oval? Is their some symbolism behind it? Can’t hide in the corner or something? 

https://www.whitehousehistory.org/questions/why-is-the-oval-office-oval

By the way, I blame your avatar on why my youtube is pulling up Micahel Palin stuff  and now this architects name is Wyeth (see other threa).

Sometimes coinicidence is just freaky.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I went through their series of videos last night. I did fast forward through a few sections.  I found it fun, and refreshing. He seems willing to reach out for help, and notes the lessons learned.  She seems willing to put up with a lot of discomfort. They are not afraid to work hard restoring a boat. He got a small houseboat shortly before getting this one. The hull appeared to be fiberglass sandwich construction with a plywood core. They stripped off the inner skin and shoveled out the mulch that had been plywood, then glued plywood back in place.  It did not appear that they saturated the ply with epoxy, so it will probably be an issue again. But what a huge amount of work. If they can get some decent information on how to make/keep a boat watertight and strong, they have the potential to do well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

He had ‘it’ in many places. Including the Oval Office. BTW, does anyone know why they made it oval? Is their some symbolism behind it? Can’t hide in the corner or something? 

Yes kind sir, I can tell you why they named it the oval office.  It's a little known historical trivia fact actually.  It seems that before the days of the internet and 'fake news', the press realized that Presidents were special, endured a lot of stress in the job, for obvious reasons and needed some fun.  So, the Presidents, since the first one to occupy the White House, John Adams and his wife Abigail lived there, it was not unusual for the overworked President to 'get a little' on the side in what was then the circular office, as it was originally designed.  And no offence to Abigail Adams, but she wasn't the prettiest first lady ever.  Then those terrible British folks burned the White House during the war of 1812, rather cheeky of them don't you think?  So when the White House was rebuilt after the fire, the contractors doing the job being like contractors since the beginning of time liked to drink as much as they worked, and often tippled while working.  So the foreman, who had drank his breakfast as well as lunch and couldn't see quite straight, misread the blue print and the 'circular office became the Oval Office, quite by accident really.  Well after the folks calmed down, they  generally decided that the oval shape looked better anyway.  Aha! you say, but wait, there's more.  Since the Presidents were still getting something extra there, the wags decided that the Oval Office was well named since the Presidents dallianced with their squeezes there, and it happened so much that the formerly circular office became oval from all of the squeezing that went on.  And that ladies and gents is why to this day it is known as the renowned Oval Office, not just because of the shape but because of the activity.   Now please don't ask how the also famous Blue Room in the White House got it's name.  Decorum demands that I can only suggest that perhaps Bill Clinton was merely following a long established Presidential tradition.  Of course I am talking about Clinton's fondness for a good cigar, like many Presidents before him, especially that particularly randy Kennedy fellow.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hawaiidart said:

The Ed is right about everything except for just about all of the facts.  The Oval Office was built during the Taft administration in 1909, copying the original oval Blue Room.

You see this is why we can't have nice things.  People want to ruin a perfectly good story with facts.  Facts in today's digital internet environment are not relevant.  Facts are a fungible commodity.  The tubes of the internet are full of fungible facts bouncing through the ether willy nilly.  One fact is as good as any other.  All that really counts is the truthiness and I know truthiness when I see it.  Clearly my story is brimming with truthiness, chock full of truthiness.  

Look at the word history.  His story.  Who is 'he'?  'He' is whomever is telling the story.  It's my story dammit and I'm sticking to it.  Damn the facts, full speed ahead!

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, no - but I was born with pretty good judgement.

Well, except for that 60' ferro schooner I was desperate to build at their age.

But then that judgement kicked in.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Well, no - but I was born with pretty good judgement.

Well, except for that 60' ferro schooner I was desperate to build at their age.

But then that judgement kicked in.

Don't hate yourself for the Ferro dream SJB.  We've all been there.  It's the curse of our generation, we just have to live with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2019 at 4:54 AM, SloopJonB said:

Well, no - but I was born with pretty good judgement.

Well, except for that 60' ferro schooner I was desperate to build at their age.

But then that judgement kicked in.

That is penis compensation syndrome SJB.

I suffer from this too....... 

 

121106023803-sven-yrvind-yellow-boat-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2019 at 12:53 AM, casc27 said:

Oh, come on. All you nattering nabobs of negativity have no faith. Did he not say they have a patreon page set up? All will be well with OPM.

(And yes, they are about to get schooled on cost. Rudders will cost more than they can afford, even with OPM. Will they try to build their own rutters? That could be entertaining. As for how the boat will look after suffering some work from its current caretakers I do have to go with worse than it does now.)

^Correct, I sailed an Iroquois and it was very worth while;
Waddenzee in the netherlands visiting all the islands.
Great, because of less draft, easy to sail in shallow waters.
Waddenzee-waterkaart.jpg.d32d2cb62a0f1ff8ce31abbbd878c052.jpg
Iroqouis.thumb.jpg.663fc2606f3c662f68a92f3c6de71b85.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I sailed on one of these, [when new] with the world sailplane champion and his lovely wife.  They are a wonderful fast seaworthy catamaran.  Remember it was around 1969.  Hardly a P.O.S.  I still like them.  It seems many of you lack the sense of naive wonder that these guys still have.  I think they will surprise us all with small tales of daily miracles.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

That is penis compensation syndrome SJB.

I suffer from this too....... 

 

121106023803-sven-yrvind-yellow-boat-horizontal-gallery.jpg

No, I remember it well - it was hangover childhood pirate fantasies

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, schakel488 said:

^Correct, I sailed an Iroquois and it was very worth while;
Waddenzee in the netherlands visiting all the islands.
Great, because of less draft, easy to sail in shallow waters.
Waddenzee-waterkaart.jpg.d32d2cb62a0f1ff8ce31abbbd878c052.jpg
Iroqouis.thumb.jpg.663fc2606f3c662f68a92f3c6de71b85.jpg

they are a lovely boat when they look like this. a company i worked for years ago built on this design and brought out a more modern 9.7m boat that was pretty good. the boat these two have actually is missing the inside skin on big bits of deck. it has rudder cassettes, but no blades. ive seen no sight of the centerboards. this boat is cooked and not worth the 6k they spent on it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If they did.

I imagine that blue & white one is what they see when they look at theirs.

That one is for sale in England for $12K right now but $20K - $40K seems the be the general ask range.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2019 at 3:16 PM, Vince808 said:

They should paint a hole in the side like this guy did, with an image of the girl bailing water.

3_4dddb7391f.jpg

4_3add5802a2.png

Look at the second pic, pretty sure the hole in the side is pushing water. I don’t think it’s painted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

Wow!

as built, the boat has 4 pretty big foam filled water tight compartments, and no big hunk of lead on the bottom. ive seen a pdq 36 with the bottom of both hulls cut off, still float well.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, basketcase said:

the more i look at this, the less i think its a graphic, as it's op would have us think... its right where the center board should be....

Yes I'm gullible.

So a little tracing the picture back gets to the original caption

Am 30.8. geriet die deutsche Yacht "Mona" in der Nordsee in große Schwierigkeiten.
In schwerer See wurden Teile der Außenhaut an Steuerbord abgerissen. Das Schiff blieb
aber schwimmfähig und konnte einen Hafen erreichen.

Thanks to the help of Google produces the inelegant translation:

On 30.8. The German yacht "Mona" in the North Sea got into big trouble.
In heavy seas, parts of the outer skin were torn off to starboard. The ship stayed
but buoyant and could reach a harbor.

 
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KC375 said:

Yes I'm gullible.

So a little tracing the picture back gets to the original caption

Am 30.8. geriet die deutsche Yacht "Mona" in der Nordsee in große Schwierigkeiten.
In schwerer See wurden Teile der Außenhaut an Steuerbord abgerissen. Das Schiff blieb
aber schwimmfähig und konnte einen Hafen erreichen.

Thanks to the help of Google produces the inelegant translation:


On 30.8. The German yacht "Mona" in the North Sea got into big trouble.
In heavy seas, parts of the outer skin were torn off to starboard. The ship stayed
but buoyant and could reach a harbor.


 

so, that is the inside of the center board case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KC375 said:

Yes I'm gullible.

So a little tracing the picture back gets to the original caption

Am 30.8. geriet die deutsche Yacht "Mona" in der Nordsee in große Schwierigkeiten.
In schwerer See wurden Teile der Außenhaut an Steuerbord abgerissen. Das Schiff blieb
aber schwimmfähig und konnte einen Hafen erreichen.

Thanks to the help of Google produces the inelegant translation:


On 30.8. The German yacht "Mona" in the North Sea got into big trouble.
In heavy seas, parts of the outer skin were torn off to starboard. The ship stayed
but buoyant and could reach a harbor.


 

You don't even need google translate for that. You can see a lot of schwimming going on there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

You don't even need google translate for that. You can see a lot of schwimming going on there.

You’ve got to respect a language like German. Need a new word? No problem just glue a few pre-existing ones together until you’ve got the concept covered, then maybe add a few more for insurance.

How can you trump: Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft (Association for Subordinate Officials of the Head Office Management of the Danube Steamboat Electrical Services)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, KC375 said:

You’ve got to respect a language like German. Need a new word? No problem just glue a few pre-existing ones together until you’ve got the concept covered, then maybe add a few more for insurance.

How can you trump: Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft (Association for Subordinate Officials of the Head Office Management of the Danube Steamboat Electrical Services)

cant out do it, but my favourite klingon...... sorry German word is kaulquappe. picked that up one year building daggerfoil cases.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, basketcase said:

cant out do it, but my favourite klingon...... sorry German word is kaulquappe. picked that up one year building daggerfoil cases.

Littlejohn-tree-frog-tadpole.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't we all just sit back, watch, and enjoy the fact that we've done everything we can to keep OUR boats seaworthy?

That's what makes this rookie shit show so much fun.

Too bad there was no internet search function available when these two fuck-tards made this life-altering decision, right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KC375 said:

You’ve got to respect a language like German. Need a new word? No problem just glue a few pre-existing ones together until you’ve got the concept covered, then maybe add a few more for insurance.

How can you trump: Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft (Association for Subordinate Officials of the Head Office Management of the Danube Steamboat Electrical Services)

Trust me - the Welsh do it even better.

Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch is a village.

My sister made a point of learning how to pronounce it years ago.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Trust me - the Welsh do it even better.

Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch is a village.

My sister made a point of learning how to pronounce it years ago.

Pretty sure I remember this from a 'Goodies' episode 25+ years ago

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, KC375 said:

You’ve got to respect a language like German. Need a new word? No problem just glue a few pre-existing ones together until you’ve got the concept covered, then maybe add a few more for insurance.

How can you trump: Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft (Association for Subordinate Officials of the Head Office Management of the Danube Steamboat Electrical Services)

Image result for if you love someone tell them because life is short,  But shout it at them in german

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, basketcase said:

theres more.........    

 

Say what you will about his mate, I wish I could find one so willing to accompany me on those sorts of adventures. Mine wouldn’t go near either of those boats, much less help work on them...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Crusty said:

Say what you will about his mate, I wish I could find one so willing to accompany me on those sorts of adventures. Mine wouldn’t go near either of those boats, much less help work on them...

Im lucky. Mine will and has.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:10 PM, Ed Lada said:

Don't hate yourself for the Ferro dream SJB.  We've all been there.  It's the curse of our generation, we just have to live with it.

 

"Hey, I got this great idea for a boat. We'll take a steel matrix, and we'll bury it in cement.  Yeah, a cement boat.  Can't miss."

This is precisely why an even more insane generation has coined the term, "OK, Boomer..."  It's what happens when most of a generation confuses excitable, charismatic people for sober, smart people.  I know, I know... there was a lot of acid going around back then, some of it really, really good. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lex Teredo said:

 

"Hey, I got this great idea for a boat. We'll take a steel matrix, and we'll bury it in cement.  Yeah, a cement boat.  Can't miss."

This is precisely why an even more insane generation has coined the term, "OK, Boomer..."  It's what happens when most of a generation confuses excitable, charismatic people for sober, smart people.  I know, I know... there was a lot of acid going around back then, some of it really, really good. 

Don't take the brown acid!

Bu yeah, there was this microdot we would get...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lex Teredo said:

 

"Hey, I got this great idea for a boat. We'll take a steel matrix, and we'll bury it in cement.  Yeah, a cement boat.  Can't miss."

This is precisely why an even more insane generation has coined the term, "OK, Boomer..."  It's what happens when most of a generation confuses excitable, charismatic people for sober, smart people.  I know, I know... there was a lot of acid going around back then, some of it really, really good. 

 

5 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Don't take the brown acid!

Bu yeah, there was this microdot we would get...

Well if you are looking for someone to blame for Ferro-cement I think you need to look back further than LSD and the boomers – patented in 1855 and these WWII and earlier ferrocement ships are still afloat.

image.jpeg

But yeah the boom of ferrocement in the 60s and 70s made more senses with the help of psychotropics.

One of the best things that happened to me was the sinking of a Ferro-cement ship.

Somehow I had convinced myself that I could take this ferro cement square rigger in the Caribbean and turn it into a viable charter business – I was able to sustain that delusion even without shrooms. I’d gotten far enough along in this lunacy that I’d booked flights and lined up a surveyor.

I cancelled the trip after the ship sank from an “unexpected microburst”. Apparently the insurance company was unimpressed that all items of value (including major equipment like a generator) had been removed before the “unfortunate” incident. The thing about ferro-cement it takes more than a gallon of gas and match to make your mistake go away.

So instead of pouring my savings into a concrete hole in the ocean I spent them on a graduate degree.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites