inexperienced couple buy a p.o.s. catamaran

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey folks!! Squeaky here! Hahaha I'll start by saying thank you for the hundreds of giggles that you all gave me with this thread!!!! Its pretty epic! Never thought I'd go along with a group of folks

FTFY. It's a catamaran...

Darwinism. 

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, basketcase said:

Every time I think that this thread is dead, it comes back to life...like jeabus or a zombie.

Lol same here! There's like 22pages of this♡ its funny because I don't talk to what's his nuts anymore. The only time I wanted to speak to him was when I learned he had moved the boat (with out mentioning to the dock owner he was moving the cat.).I was pretty saddened by the lack of gratefulness.

Just so yall know. Deal was... Gomes docks boat, Gomes has storage, gomes just needs to rebuild dock, gomes left. Never came back. But he picked up his belongings and traveled. Left homeowner with stacks of treated wood homeowner has purchased.  Home owner is elder. Homeowner with dock rebuilt it himself at his ripe Golden age♡. 

Its shitty to watch someone treat someone shitty. 900 dollar luxury yacht didn't deserve to be led on and he doesn't deserve to feel false hope. Gomer said he would help..

If gomer does have covid.... he probably shouldn't visit his moms basement anytime soon ;)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Squeaky said:

Lol same here! There's like 22pages of this♡ its funny because I don't talk to what's his nuts anymore. The only time I wanted to speak to him was when I learned he had moved the boat (with out mentioning to the dock owner he was moving the cat.).I was pretty saddened by the lack of gratefulness.

Just so yall know. Deal was... Gomes docks boat, Gomes has storage, gomes just needs to rebuild dock, gomes left. Never came back. But he picked up his belongings and traveled. Left homeowner with stacks of treated wood homeowner has purchased.  Home owner is elder. Homeowner with dock rebuilt it himself at his ripe Golden age♡. 

Its shitty to watch someone treat someone shitty. 900 dollar luxury yacht didn't deserve to be led on and he doesn't deserve to feel false hope. Gomer said he would help..

If gomer does have covid.... he probably shouldn't visit his moms basement anytime soon ;)

This is just a quick impression, but watching you all buy the catamaran and then go thru the first few episodes, it seemed to me that Gomer was not so much trying to learn how to do stuff as trying to learn enough buzzwords to be able to bullshit about it.

Being a bullshitter is fun until other people suffer for it.

One of the things about sailing, a real sailor can spot a bullshitter wanna-be sailor even over the internet. We see them come and go here, all the time.

FB- Doug

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

We see them come and go here, all the time.

Those of us who have been here for the last 20 years (give or take a few) have seen a lot of poseurs pass through these internet portals. The ones that embarrass easily slink away, but some try and bullshit their way through. I love those ones, they are a lot of fun to play with.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

This is just a quick impression, but watching you all buy the catamaran and then go thru the first few episodes, it seemed to me that Gomer was not so much trying to learn how to do stuff as trying to learn enough buzzwords to be able to bullshit about it.

Being a bullshitter is fun until other people suffer for it.

One of the things about sailing, a real sailor can spot a bullshitter wanna-be sailor even over the internet. We see them come and go here, all the time.

FB- Doug

*Clink of the glass!* I love sailing♡ theres nothing like it!

5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

In my limited experience with kids & sailing, the thing that gets them interested is other kids. Either get him into a junior program or let him bring a friend on your boat.

Of course, it was different when I was a kid myself, several geological epochs ago. Kids didn't have a choice. Family goes sailing, you're going sailing, kid. And you better either like it, or pretend you do.

- DSK

Strange thing is...he doesn't have many friends that he sees outside of the highschool classroom. He gets together with is buddies over discord and that's about it. It's freakin' weird <insert kids these days comment>. When I was his age I had a power boat, didn't get into sailing until I discovered Lasers, then crewing on other people's keelboats. Then I got rid of the power boat, it ended up being boring when held up to sailing. 

I was planning on an "I need help with the boat" approach starting out on nice warm days with minimal wind so he can get the idea in a non terrifying environment and if he takes to it then, hopefully, he'll end up being my crew when I relearn how to race. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ishmael said:
4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

We see them come and go here, all the time.

Those of us who have been here for the last 20 years (give or take a few) have seen a lot of poseurs pass through these internet portals. The ones that embarrass easily slink away, but some try and bullshit their way through. I love those ones, they are a lot of fun to play with.

I haive enjoined oure dicussiones to..............                  :)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

I haive enjoined oure dicussiones to..............                  :)

Snaags I've enjoyed reading all that you type♡ you have the best comments♡ cain treed hav of em. ;) 900 dollar luxury yacht on YouTube just updated anyone interested in the 9to5 channel♡

• Like 1

Squeaky, you have done what no other could do on this forum; warm a bunch of cranky old bastard's hearts (mine included). You should be really proud of yourself!

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

My take-away from that video was one hippie guy with 3 (? it's been a few years since I watched it) hippie chicks -- not bad...

and

the "direct deposit" method of defecation.

At least they aren't pumping out the holding tank. That would be illegal.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Blitz said:

Safe and sound in Hawaii now. But when he was drifting and grifting we regularly took him for dead and he would always pop up.

Like a bad smell

On 3/23/2021 at 1:01 PM, Rasputin22 said:

I thought that we were having an APOCALYPSE NOW moment here on the Redneck Riviera yesterday. Got a phone call from my GF telling me that a fleet of helicopters would be over our Fish Shack soon. I went outside to have a look and there was a loose formation of 10 Blackhawks at 500' altitude just off the beach heading east. She had mentioned 12 but I have told her a millions times to never exaggerate...

About 5 minutes later though here came 6 CHINOOKS (SHITHOOK to those who know and love  work on them) and they were playing catch up to the first wave of choppers. 6 CHINOOKS is about equal in noise to 10 BLACKHAWKS for what it is worth...

About 5 more minutes later I heard more helos approaching and went back out to see a hunting pack of 6 COBRA gunships with what looked like Air Force colors (the troop ships were OD green). The was an odd straggler or two to come by in the next half hour and it must have been some sort of fly-in down at Eglin AFB about 50 miles east. Maybe they were grouping up to go to Miami to gun down the Spring Breakers!

Happy Hunting

https://www.facebook.com/kari.bryantlangley/videos/10221351259865902

Just catching up.  Marines still fly Cobras & Huey's, hell they are still buying new ones.  They're marinized, and there's something like 80% commonality between the two so operating costs are kept down.  Apache's wouldn't do well on the open deck of your average assault carrier in the North Atlantic.

The ones in the vid are the new Venom Hueys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_AH-1Z_Viper

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_UH-1Y_Venom

I might as well whine on this thread.

After nearly a week of waiting, I just found out that the owners of that sweet C&C 25 I was after don't want to sell. Yesterday the marina told me they just sold their last slip an hour ago which means that should I find a boat I'll have to keep it in a  inconvenient location for the summer as there should be slips opening up in the fall.

Then they told me all is not lost as one of their tenants had recently passed away and his PY26 was going to be up for sale. I had a look at it ( without actually boarding it ) and I know the owner was "boat guy" and it's probably a sound but bare bones boat I'm thinking that it may be a little too much boat for my current circumstances. I was thinking along the lines of a 3200-4500 pound boat. San Juan 24s are at the top of my list. 

Maybe I'm just being a wuss about the PY26. I did have some older lady with a Laguna 32 call me that when I told her I thought a Catalina 27 might me too much boat. Says she single hands her all the time. I can't find anyone saying bad things about PY26s. The marina says he had it out of the water and did the bottom last year and it might be a safe assumption that he tended to the cast iron keep properly. Last time I talked to him he said he'd invite me aboard but he was in the process of redoing the interior which, looks kind of rough, but it's not something I'm really concerned about. 

The PY has a proper topping lift on it as well as one of those clip to the backstay ones. Maybe I'm just being paranoid here but I find the clip to the backstay ones kind of creepy from a single handed sailor perspective. It looks like the main halyard is led back to the cockpit and there is a furling genoa. Serviceable 9.9 hp outboard on the back. 

I've got a few people wanting to take me out racing but current Covid restrictions prohibit that due to the bubble restrictions the racing group takes very seriously. 

/whiny rant. 

3 hours ago, stout said:

I might as well whine on this thread.

After nearly a week of waiting, I just found out that the owners of that sweet C&C 25 I was after don't want to sell. Yesterday the marina told me they just sold their last slip an hour ago which means that should I find a boat I'll have to keep it in a  inconvenient location for the summer as there should be slips opening up in the fall.

Then they told me all is not lost as one of their tenants had recently passed away and his PY26 was going to be up for sale. I had a look at it ( without actually boarding it ) and I know the owner was "boat guy" and it's probably a sound but bare bones boat I'm thinking that it may be a little too much boat for my current circumstances. I was thinking along the lines of a 3200-4500 pound boat. San Juan 24s are at the top of my list. 

Maybe I'm just being a wuss about the PY26. I did have some older lady with a Laguna 32 call me that when I told her I thought a Catalina 27 might me too much boat. Says she single hands her all the time. I can't find anyone saying bad things about PY26s. The marina says he had it out of the water and did the bottom last year and it might be a safe assumption that he tended to the cast iron keep properly. Last time I talked to him he said he'd invite me aboard but he was in the process of redoing the interior which, looks kind of rough, but it's not something I'm really concerned about. 

The PY has a proper topping lift on it as well as one of those clip to the backstay ones. Maybe I'm just being paranoid here but I find the clip to the backstay ones kind of creepy from a single handed sailor perspective. It looks like the main halyard is led back to the cockpit and there is a furling genoa. Serviceable 9.9 hp outboard on the back. 

I've got a few people wanting to take me out racing but current Covid restrictions prohibit that due to the bubble restrictions the racing group takes very seriously. 

/whiny rant. 

Out of curiosity, which marina is full? There are others...

It was Oak Bay that said they were full. It's really THE marina that I want to keep the boat at because it's only 15 minutes away. My plan is to use the boat about 100 days/year even if I just go out for a couple of hours. It's not such a big deal in the summer but in the "off season" on those days where conditions are right to go sailing *right now* I'd rather not be faced with a long drive to Sidney or having to head right out into the straight from somewhere like West Bay.

Oak Bay just seems too perfect. Short motor away from the docks and sails up fast. Oak and Cadboro Bays as a sheltered area in case things are a little "scarier" than they appeared when I left home.  

I'll have a look closer look at that PY26 and if I figure it's something I'm interested in ie I grow a pair then I'll probably have to hire some guy to go over it for me to tell me what needs attention and what's missing. Not a proper survey but without the owner present to answer questions, there's going to be a ton of crap I'll miss. 

I've also got my eve on a Contessa 26. Seems a hardcore to be used for what i'm planning on using it for. This thing's probably circumnavigated the globe judging by the windvane self steering gear on the back of it but ( apparently ) the owner hauls it up to Sidney every year, has the bottom done then leaves it sitting at the dock. 

23 hours ago, Blitz said:

Safe and sound in Hawaii now. But when he was drifting and grifting we regularly took him for dead and he would always pop up.

Ah the good old days...

13 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Just sayin'....

You could put a Contessa 26 inside a PY 26.

You could not put 2 of your dining room chairs inside a Contessa 26

FB- Doug

Indeed

Last fall, while I was hanging with the owner of the PY26 and musing that cabin size might not be all that important as I don't see myself ( and family ) doing a ton of cruising in the next 5 years or so he told me "there's going to be days where you're going to want to come down to the marina and just hang out on the boat" and then he said cabin size was one of the reasons he bought the boat. He could walk from the companionway to the vberth without having to worry about his back. 

This was the same guy who said "Just get yourself a $3000 Catalina 27 and you'll have a boat that you'll be happy with for the rest of your life" That was, of course last fall when $3000 Catalina 27s actually existed, Now they're $9000 Catalina 27s. 

I guess I just have to wait for the estate of the PY26 owner to move forward. This week, I'll try to find somebody whew knew this guy. The marina webcam is pretty much pointed right at this boat an I'll keep it running. When I see one of his neighbors down at their boat, I'll jump in my truck and head down there. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

WTF??

19 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Did anyone ever post this? 

WTF  is that thing? Gomer's kinfolk?  Some type of semi human hunchback? I think it has tits! 

23 hours ago, stout said:

It was Oak Bay that said they were full. It's really THE marina that I want to keep the boat at because it's only 15 minutes away. My plan is to use the boat about 100 days/year even if I just go out for a couple of hours. It's not such a big deal in the summer but in the "off season" on those days where conditions are right to go sailing *right now* I'd rather not be faced with a long drive to Sidney or having to head right out into the straight from somewhere like West Bay.

Oak Bay just seems too perfect. Short motor away from the docks and sails up fast. Oak and Cadboro Bays as a sheltered area in case things are a little "scarier" than they appeared when I left home.  

I'll have a look closer look at that PY26 and if I figure it's something I'm interested in ie I grow a pair then I'll probably have to hire some guy to go over it for me to tell me what needs attention and what's missing. Not a proper survey but without the owner present to answer questions, there's going to be a ton of crap I'll miss. 

I've also got my eve on a Contessa 26. Seems a hardcore to be used for what i'm planning on using it for. This thing's probably circumnavigated the globe judging by the windvane self steering gear on the back of it but ( apparently ) the owner hauls it up to Sidney every year, has the bottom done then leaves it sitting at the dock. 

This really should be in a separate thread, but...26' is really not that much of a challenge. The PY26 is a decent boat, and if it comes with a spot at Oak Bay, that's a bonus. There's a bunch of experienced locals on here, if you need help evaluating, sorting, or mocking, I'm sure there are some - including myself - who can give you a hand.

The downside to Oak Bay is that there really isn't anywhere to go that's close. Sure, you can get out and sail, and get back to the dock. Moorage in the Sidney area is an hour away from Sidney Spit or Portland Island, and it is a 25-minute drive from home. Half the fun of having a boat is getting off it and playing in the sand.

8 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

That is creepy as hell.

Gollum has been rotting in the swamps of Florida so long his brain has more holes than a block of Swiss cheese.

I cant stop looking at it. Mesmerizing.  I don't know if I want to shoot it, or fuck it. 

On 4/22/2021 at 1:36 PM, Squeaky said:

900 year old guy said his parents are still alive.. Holy shit I'd like to see what the fuck they look like.

That does suck hes got a pile of expensive wood and broken  Gomer promises.  .  But doesnt look like hes in a

hurry or need  to do anything  

Apologies for the thread hijack, I figured it was dead, or soon will be as Squeaky seems to have gone off in a different direction. Thanks for the generous offer Ishmael if the guy I have in mind isn't into checking out the boat then I may have to take you/someone up on it. 

Yea, the downside of Oak Bay. I'm aware of it but at this stage I'm not fussed about it preferring easy fast access to sailing especially if I have to "drag" my family out. Discovery Island and D'Arcy will have to suffice and if the wife wan't to do a weekend away, I'm not adverse to taking the boat up to Sidney and have her drive to/from there. She still works whereas I'm pretty much "forced" into retirement due to my tourist based business taking a nosedive. Wife goes to work, I go sailing. So far there's been no objection to this plan. It used to be wife goes to work, I go diving in Bali. That may keep happening but wife is insisting she come along on the next trip. 

It's the beam and the amount of freeboard on the PY26 that's got me thinking it's massive. When I compare it to a Ranger 26 a couple of slips down the R26 looks tiny. It could be an optical illusion though. 

• Downvote 1
35 minutes ago, stout said:

Apologies for the thread hijack, I figured it was dead, or soon will be as Squeaky seems to have gone off in a different direction. Thanks for the generous offer Ishmael if the guy I have in mind isn't into checking out the boat then I may have to take you/someone up on it. 

Yea, the downside of Oak Bay. I'm aware of it but at this stage I'm not fussed about it preferring easy fast access to sailing especially if I have to "drag" my family out. Discovery Island and D'Arcy will have to suffice and if the wife wan't to do a weekend away, I'm not adverse to taking the boat up to Sidney and have her drive to/from there. She still works whereas I'm pretty much "forced" into retirement due to my tourist based business taking a nosedive. Wife goes to work, I go sailing. So far there's been no objection to this plan. It used to be wife goes to work, I go diving in Bali. That may keep happening but wife is insisting she come along on the next trip. 

It's the beam and the amount of freeboard on the PY26 that's got me thinking it's massive. When I compare it to a Ranger 26 a couple of slips down the R26 looks tiny. It could be an optical illusion though. 

you really should fuck off out of this thread with your shitty old 4 knot shitboxes. . It is not dead and Squeaky comes and goes on her own schedule. Dont judge her. You 'apologize' and then immediately continue to hijack it. What a fake apology.   Dickhead.  

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

I cant stop looking at it. Mesmerizing.  I don't know if I want to shoot it, or fuck it. 

Im pretty sure that 'it' is or at least once was male.

40 minutes ago, stout said:

Ive thought that this thread was dead at least fifteen times now....

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Cane you saye Lazzeruss?

I think that dude drinks mimosas every day until he feels like Lazarus!

Let him be a lesson to us all on the devil john barleycorn

2 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

you really should fuck off out of this thread with your shitty old 4 knot shitboxes. . It is not dead and Squeaky comes and goes on her own schedule. Dont judge her. You 'apologize' and then immediately continue to hijack it. What a fake apology.   Dickhead.  

Speaking as someone with a passing familiarity in medical literature I highly suggest you seek out a proctologist, and ask him to root around up there for whatever bug appears to have crawled up your ass.  That, and a nice cup of tea should have you feeling better right quick. 

7 hours ago, stout said:

Nope, sorry, it could never be an Optical Illusion...

Fashionably-Latel.jpg

• Like 1
11 hours ago, stout said:

Speaking as someone with a passing familiarity in medical literature I highly suggest you seek out a proctologist, and ask him to root around up there for whatever bug appears to have crawled up your ass.  That, and a nice cup of tea should have you feeling better right quick. 

He just has a PY26 jammed up his ass. Which is where that boat belongs.

1 hour ago, loneshark64 said:

He just has a PY26 jammed up his ass. Which is where that boat belongs.

Hummmm, yes that would explain it. A PY26 is a fairly beamy boat to be packing around Papillion style but I suppose if one worked their way up from a Folkboat.....

Anyways

Without further ado, I shall depart this thread and eagerly await the next installment of the Squeaky/Gomer/$900 saga. 

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, alctel said:

Can someone please provide the cliff notes on what happened? The dudes girlfriend started posting here? The boat sank?

A long, long time ago, on an ICW far, far away...

• Like 3
On 4/21/2021 at 8:22 PM, stout said:

That ICW sure looks like a nice safe way to get from a cold climate to a warm one in the fall/winter I'm hoping to get myself a 24/25 foot boat and sailing that down the west coast to Mexico sure isn't in the cards

It's pretty safe but better for powerboats than sailboats because it can be pretty narrow so sailing can depend on wind direction.

This can lead to a decision to take a hop outside. Look for videos of the fun in Jupiter Inlet (but make sure your wife isn't around when you  do.)

3 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

Look for videos of the fun in Jupiter Inlet (but make sure your wife isn't around when you  do.)

+1

If you get tired of cruiser vlogs with babies and boat projects nothing clears your head like Jupiter and Haulover 

2C22A76E-48D4-4B70-9391-5B8E905DA1B8.jpeg