inexperienced couple buy a p.o.s. catamaran

4 hours ago, LB 15 said:

I was sentenced to a month as a result of ‘the People vs LB 15’ - clean was the prosecutor - but I had it reduced to a week on appeal. So I am out on parole. 

Her voice is truly grating - it wouldn’t be so bad if she actually said something of interest, but  does seem to do all the work - Gomer just tells the camera how much they have to do between weather reports.

Now I’m not a lawyer , but isn’t part of being on parole you are not allowed to associate with your past partners in crime ( us fellow Anarchists ). 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey folks!! Squeaky here! Hahaha I'll start by saying thank you for the hundreds of giggles that you all gave me with this thread!!!! Its pretty epic! Never thought I'd go along with a group of folks

FTFY. It's a catamaran...

Bahahahahah!!!! I had fun with this!! 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

They already own something a similar. It’s on a trailer parked in the woods back home. 

Squeaky Notits decorated it in painters tape blue. She might be expecting a boy? 

Gomer is a professional photographer. Weddings, real estate, raccoon skinnings.  Would love to see    more about that.  

See - you are hooked too! But get your facts straight Mr. The houseboat is on a trailer parked in front of his mom’s house.

1 hour ago, Al Paca said:

Now I’m not a lawyer , but isn’t part of being on parole you are not allowed to associate with your past partners in crime ( us fellow Anarchists ). 

No I just have a restraining order about Clean against me. I can't approach within 4 posts of him.

• Like 5

You know the more I look at it the more I think it has a bit of early Hot Rod about it. Back when he had only looked at 800 hundred different boats.

3F127CB0-872B-41C0-A6E3-0407800FACD8.jpeg

I will try and get one without Gomer doing his temperature report in it.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

You know the more I look at it the more I think it has a bit of early Hot Rod about it. Back when he had only looked at 800 hundred different boats.

3F127CB0-872B-41C0-A6E3-0407800FACD8.jpeg

I will try and get one without Gomer doing his temperature report in it.

he kinda has a serial killer vibe......

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, thereefgeek said:

I'm really curious where the hell they got that blue bottom paint?

Home Depot latex?

Leftover from the houseboat refit, I suppose....

did ya not watch their well produced video? worst marine.

27 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I am still wondering what the golf club is for. 

76A5E857-72FD-4627-BA01-8BCD0C9F9E62.jpeg

I was wondered the same thing.  Maybe that's why she doesn't mind painting so much?

Still curious about the label on that paint can.  No where in the video do they reveal the brand.  Maybe in a past video?  I personally can't see them dropping the coin for a gallon of legitimate anti-fouling.  That would far exceed the overall value of the boat. 

Don't forget to Bondo all those holes you drilled below the waterline in order to drain those custom sugar scoops...

7 minutes ago, thereefgeek said:

Still curious about the label on that paint can.  No where in the video do they reveal the brand.  Maybe in a past video?  I personally can't see them dropping the coin for a gallon of legitimate anti-fouling.  That would far exceed the overall value of the boat. 

It's West Marine CPP ablative antifoul. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

After watching all of that last vid I might go a bit easy on squeaky. I don’t think she is packing with a full scrum.

She's a hard worker and she keeps him warm at night. There's a place for everyone in this world (although arguably not on the water).

Her best laugh was picking up the orbital sander..."it tickles!"

A new chapter in the saga.  Handrails!  Doughnuts!  More leaks!  More hull repairs!  More painting!

The best bit.  The guy asks the girl; "What are you doing.?"   She answers; "I don't know."  Pretty much sums up the entire adventure so far, eh?  From the mouths of babes. :lol:

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

A new chapter in the saga.  Handrails!  Doughnuts!  More leaks!  More hull repairs!  More painting!

The best bit.  The guy asks the girl; "What are you doing.?"   She answers; "I don't know."  Pretty much sums up the entire adventure so far, eh?  From the mouths of babes.

Well, hell, I used to say that to one of my ex-bosses. He'd come by & ask if I was sure I knew what I was doing. I'd reply that if I knew what I was doing, would I be working here?

FKT

• Like 3
On 1/23/2020 at 2:19 PM, LB 15 said:

Both my sons briefly went through the man bun phase - without the associated dick sucking thankfully. (NTTIAWWT) As you can imagine it was a source of high comedy for me. I have kept some pics to show to my future grand children.

That's called "Payback Time". :D

I read a post a while back about those ridiculous things.

"Imagine what a wolf would think if it knew that a pug was its direct descendant."

"That's what your grandpa thinks when he sees your man-bun."

23 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

Category: Polish Renaissance Men 

Question for 200: ‘I don’t know’. 

Answer: What are three words Ed Lada chokes on.  

Cris, Tof & Oro.

Where's my cookie?

I think the pointy end of those handrail screws went all the way through the cabin top into the interior. At least it looked like he was using some nippers to trim off the points in an attempt to stave off tetanus.

Crappy fiberglass patches sloppily applied to bottom paint are already dropping off due to the relentless tug of gravity. The fix: slather on more epoxy.

As near to zero fairing to the stern extensions as doesn't matter. So they have the Bondo, but instead of using it where it has a fighting chance of working as intended, they instead elected to use Bondo for their pop-off leak-fixer blobs.

fairing_job.thumb.jpg.35fa15e38b5354559c36f9d2652601c7.jpg

3 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

I think the pointy end of those handrail screws went all the way through the cabin top into the interior. At least it looked like he was using some nippers to trim off the points in an attempt to stave off tetanus.

Crappy fiberglass patches sloppily applied to bottom paint are already dropping off due to the relentless tug of gravity. The fix: slather on more epoxy.

As near to zero fairing to the stern extensions as doesn't matter. So they have the Bondo, but instead of using it where it has a fighting chance of working as intended, they instead elected to use Bondo for their pop-off leak-fixer blobs.

yes, but the bondo that was used inside the boat to stop the water from coming in insures that what little balsa is left in the deck will rot out.

6 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

The best bit.  The guy asks the girl; "What are you doing.?"   She answers; "I don't know."  Pretty much sums up the entire adventure so far, eh?  From the mouths of babes. :lol:

Whatever brain cells they had are quickly disappearing with the paint, acetone etc. with no protective gear.  Easy come easy go.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, M26 said:

the gal has lungs of steel!

Giggling..."Smells like Paint!"   That may have something to do with that almost poignant moment at 11:00 that Lada refers to: "What are you doing.?"  "I don't know." 

Even my better half, who has enjoyed watching these videos, recoiled when she saw the aft handiwork-

But still I say to them, if they do find this thread:  Don't let us bastards get you down.  Go for it!  You've got a "thing" going on here, and we want to follow it to its conclusion.

43 minutes ago, basketcase said:

A lot more chances of killing themselves? 

Near as I can tell, they now at least possess new navigation lights, a handheld VHF, and basic safety equipment. Total guess here, but I bet the dude's goal is to live aboard cheap for awhile in Florida while 'making his fortune' doing his real estate photo business. The crate will never sail again, hopefully making it down the ICW providing harrowing adventures along the way for us all to watch, and will eventually be scuttled in Florida. 

According to FB they were in Charleston this week, which means they took a month to get there. Maybe picking very safe weather windows for the open water sections?  I'd say their risk profile is lower than Rimas'.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Near as I can tell, they now at least possess new navigation lights, a handheld VHF, and basic safety equipment. Total guess here, but I bet the dude's goal is to live aboard cheap for awhile in Florida while 'making his fortune' doing his real estate photo business. The crate will never sail again, hopefully making it down the ICW providing harrowing adventures along the way for us all to watch, and will eventually be scuttled in Florida. 

According to FB they were in Charleston this week, which means they took a month to get there. Maybe picking very safe weather windows for the open water sections?  I'd say their risk profile is lower than Rimas'.

Fair enough, with your points, however they are not done as far as we know,  with the painting in the hulls and the associated prep work. The sanding, vacuuming and the acetone wipe. Acetone fumes are very flammable, and a vacuum cleaner on fiberglass creates a heap of static...

1 hour ago, basketcase said:

Fair enough, with your points, however they are not done as far as we know,  with the painting in the hulls and the associated prep work. The sanding, vacuuming and the acetone wipe. Acetone fumes are very flammable, and a vacuum cleaner on fiberglass creates a heap of static...

not to mention the various patchwork on the hulls below the waterline...

7 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Giggling..."Smells like Paint!"   That may have something to do with that almost poignant moment at 11:00 that Lada refers to: "What are you doing.?"  "I don't know." 

Even my better half, who has enjoyed watching these videos, recoiled when she saw the aft handiwork-

But still I say to them, if they do find this thread:  Don't let us bastards get you down.  Go for it!  You've got a "thing" going on here, and we want to follow it to its conclusion.

Those sugar scoops are looking pretty good, in the same way warts look pretty good. But I think they would have looked better had they forgone the waterline tape and just cut in a line by hand with a brush or a roller. I think the roller would have left a perfectly appropriate waterline for this project!

3 hours ago, casc27 said:

Those sugar scoops are looking pretty good, in the same way warts look pretty good. But I think they would have looked better had they forgone the waterline tape and just cut in a line by hand with a brush or a roller. I think the roller would have left a perfectly appropriate waterline for this project!

Its not a tumor 

What is the ICW really like?  I know there are some open water portions, but for the most part is it a canal?  Are they really in mortal danger for the vast majority of the time?  I'm picturing a lot of redneck naval architecture in that environment, along with the seasonal sport fishermen roaring around, bow up, with the helmsmen quaffing Long Island Ice Teas.  Putting elitism aside, what are their chances of "making it," which I define is getting somewhere down the track-anywhere- without drowning or needing governmental resources in order to perform a rescue. I keep going back (sorry for the repetition) to Huck Finn on that raft, who somehow "made it." Yes, I know that was fictional.

• Like 1

Ok I want to root for them but that boat is a danger to other boats.  No rudders and just that outboard for steering?  When (not if) that motor hiccups or stalls and they can’t get it started they are going to hit something or someone.... 

46 minutes ago, Defy said:

Ok I want to root for them but that boat is a danger to other boats.  No rudders and just that outboard for steering?  When (not if) that motor hiccups or stalls and they can’t get it started they are going to hit something or someone.... 

You obviously haven't been around here long, the are "rutters" not "rudders".  WTF dude?  

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Zonker said:

It is a safe as you can imagine. A few wider sounds but nothing you couldn't cope with on a nice day. A large pool toy with a Seagull outboard could get to Charleston.

So, you would need an anchor even on a pool toy while traversing the ICW?

I've got to believe that they will post some kind of disaster(s) that befell them between Norfolk VA and Charleston SC. It took them a month to get there.

The Albemarle Sound and several other open water areas are shallow and seas can turn ugly quickly for those who are unprepared. And even if they hit the open areas in perfect weather, there are some spots along the ICW in North Carolina that are so remote that if something happened, there might be no one around for many miles. And if there are...

Image result for deliverance bad guy"

1 minute ago, Israel Hands said:

I've got to believe that they will post some kind of disaster(s) that befell them between Norfolk VA and Charleston SC. It took them a month to get there.

The Albemarle Sound and several other open water areas are shallow and seas can turn ugly quickly for those who are unprepared. And even if they hit the open areas in perfect weather, there are some spots along the ICW in North Carolina that are so remote that if something happened, there might be no one around for many miles. And if there are...

Image result for deliverance bad guy"

There have been tragic losses on those waters even of experienced sailors.

1 hour ago, basketcase said:

the more videos they release, the more amazed i become.

that 'book case' they spent $125 on is awesome.

fuck. smdh

$125 on a book case but the dummy couldnt figure out he could stick a screw driver thru the oil filter? nobody told him they all go on hand tight and end up gorilla tight. he's got a lot to learn.

• Like 1
On 1/29/2020 at 5:30 PM, basketcase said:

yes, but the bondo that was used inside the boat to stop the water from coming in insures that what little balsa is left in the deck will rot out.

This was particularly confusing.  Even for someone with zero boat repair experience.

Its like replacing roofing tiles on the inside of your house.

"Water comes in here... we put on goop here... done.  Next!"

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Windward said:

This was particularly confusing.  Even for someone with zero boat repair experience.

Its like replacing roofing tiles on the inside of your house.

"Water comes in here... we put on goop here... done.  Next!"

If you can't see it, it's not there.

3 hours ago, atyourcervix said:

rudders are really just optional equipment nowadays.... vestiges of the old clipper ships.  Not really needed on small 2 person catarmorans.

I love how they express awe and disbelief as a normal launch is competently maneuvered around in close quarters! lol.gif

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

I love how they express awe and disbelief as a normal launch is competently maneuvered around in close quarters! lol.gif

That is one of the things that gives me some hope. The watch and appreciate, and maybe will learn...

Looking at how much bondo they used on the inside of the boat,  to cure all the leaks, doesn't equal the amount of hardware that is or was on the deck. I wonder what else the problem could be. Structural damage or flat out stupidity. 

2 hours ago, basketcase said:

Looking at how much bondo they used on the inside of the boat,  to cure all the leaks, doesn't equal the amount of hardware that is or was on the deck.

No way of telling how much hardware had been bolted down over the years. They appeared to be filling a myriad of fastener holes with the Bondo.

They said stopping rainwater leaks was the reason.

27 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

No way of telling how much hardware had been bolted down over the years. They appeared to be filling a myriad of fastener holes with the Bondo.

They said stopping rainwater leaks was the reason.

mate, there is no reason to bolt that much hardware to the roof of an Iroquois. theres an 'eye brow', to jib blocks, maybe a solar vent, a winch or two and the mast base. and the chain plates pop through.

12 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Is the pivot on the piling a thing?  I’ve never considered it.  Too much creosote for my liking.  

Used to move stuff around all the time on different race boats for more efficient sail handling/control etc.  One get's pretty good at patching holes but Bondo patches from inside the hull/cabin are a new one, as said earlier what a great idea to trap the water between layers.  I have to admit the intrepid couple are plucky but sometimes that isn't enough to survive on the water.  I think they need to fabricate some home depot plywood rutters to hang in the water for looks if nothing else.  Glad that they didn't deep six the mast, might be able to put that to good use someday.

5 hours ago, basketcase said:

True, but there was a blotch of bondo every 50mm. Thats a lot of hardware to move.

My boat had over 150 holes on deck just for the dozen pieces of gennie track. If they had ever been moved...

A lot can happen in 40 or 50 years. :D

9 hours ago, basketcase said:

True, but there was a blotch of bondo every 50mm. Thats a lot of hardware to move.

Well remember... they removed anything on the boat that could possibly be used for actual sailing -- all standing and running rigging, winches, blocks, cleats, etc. That's a lot of fucking holes.

It's a shame they didn't have Jean MyGod! and his stock-in-trade of bathtub caulk to help with leak mitigation! Makes Rimas' leak mitigation look downright professional.

On 2/3/2020 at 9:28 AM, SloopJonB said:

They said stopping rainwater leaks wa