Assume Trump wins in 2020, how will we live with it?

Will savings accounts be safe?

Will retirement be safe?

Will the market be a good play?

Will gold be a good play?

Will real estate be a safe play?

Should you pay your debts?

Should you be in debt?

What role will lawyers play, and will they be fixers?

What kind of bribes should you pay to whom and when?

What kind of work should you look for?

Will gun ownership still be Legal?

What should you do if you are traveling and meet up with a Russian motorcycle gang? (Don’t laugh, it happened to us a couple of years ago)

Will traveling be safe?

Will cruising in your sailboat be safe?

Will your children be safe?

I’m really interested in what our right wing brethren feel about this, in a positive sense- what will be the positives of a 2nd Trump term?

Well the stock market is now doing much better than in the previous era, and unemployment is low.   At least for those who haven't given up.   So I'm more worried about Schoolmarm Warren crashing the market and inflicting a recession than otherwise. 

For those that hate Trump, don't worry too much, he's been completely stymied by the permanent bureaucracy, enemies in his own party, the opposition, and and the media/propaganda complex.   And that won't change. 

Meanwhile, social cohesion will continue do decrease, crime will rise, polarization will increase, and the bi-modality of society will intensify, no matter who wins.   

4 minutes ago, pogen said:

Well the stock market is now doing much better than in the previous era, and unemployment is low.   At least for those who haven't given up.   So I'm more worried about Schoolmarm Warren crashing the market and inflicting a recession than otherwise. 

For those that hate Trump, don't worry too much, he's been completely stymied by the permanent bureaucracy, enemies in his own party, the opposition, and and the media/propaganda complex.   And that won't change. 

Meanwhile, social cohesion will continue do decrease, crime will rise, polarization will increase, and the bi-modality of society will intensify, no matter who wins.   

How about for those who fear Trump?  Do you love him?  What positives does he bring to the table?

First off, I won’t fret. If the trumptards re-elect him, I’m sure my next tax break will buy more sails. Let them eat cake I guess. I mean, if they really want to give me money I suppose I deserve it. Right @warbird?

4 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

First off, I won’t fret. If the trumptards re-elect him, I’m sure my next tax break will buy more sails. Let them eat cake I guess. I mean, if they really want to give me money I suppose I deserve it. Right @warbird?

Count me in. I'm with Warbird on this one. Fuck everyone else. Fuck the planet. I'm going to sit on my porch, drink scotch, and bitch about the liberals and how unfair being white and rich can be.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, pogen said:

Surely there will be a downside?

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

Yup.  Given my last sail quote from the opposite of South, I’ll have money left over!

yay!  

‘Course I’ll have Tea Party assholes all over me for the tax break. Cunts.  It’s the Trump way....

11 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

It will be the last.

You are an optimist.  Remember, given his physical situation, he’ll live longer than any of us?  The most healthy of any President?  Ever? 

33 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Surely there will be a downside?

You don’t think disintegrating social cohesion and rising crime are a downside?   

As to Trump, I don’t like him or hate him or fear him.   

I’m thinking this whole thread is a troll.  

^And don't forget "President for life? we should try that" (it was quite a while ago when he said it).

My survival plans go something along the lines of, wintergreen Copenhagen long cut, half gallons of Evan Williams, & craft brews in a can. Edited to add Anime, lots of Anime.

Putin has achieved the destruction of most of the USA's foreign relationships and global image. Internally, the USA is more polarized and inefficient than ever. Idiots and crooks are in charge. Corruption and lying at the highest level has become the new normal.

He might decide to do a grand finale to this incredibly successful operation by a mid-campaign release of damning info about Donnie's money-laundering in exchange for the Russian investments that saved his bankrupt ass. Maybe add edited highlights of Donnie banging hookers in St. Petersburg and pee-pee tapes from Moscow. 

Alternatively, if the intelligence suggests that Donnie will beat impeachment thanks to Mitch, and the dementia isn't progressing too fast, Putin might decide to leave the fish on the line for another term.

Trump is the best American president Russia ever had.

• Like 2

I live mostly in the Philippines. The governing gang here is much better than in the USA. No timidity regarding corruption or ignorance. Both are executed with pride and efficiency. However this being Asia there is much more displayed respect. The two sides don’t waste any time calling out the other on corruption...they politely take turns.

So there is hope for the USA as Trumpists lead the way to Third World status. The main sticking point will be replacing Trump with someone with talent in running a proper con game. Ya know, a true winner. Like a Marcos...

Should I mention everyone seems far happier here than in the USA?

9 hours ago, Amati said:

Will savings accounts be safe? - Yes.  Under 250K for sure.

Will retirement be safe? yes - 401K/roth won't be taxed under Trump.  That comes later.

Will the market be a good play? Yes, don't fight the fed.

Will gold be a good play?  Mediocre - competes with REITs and Crypto now.

Will real estate be a safe play?  Yes.  We're still very early int he REIT consolidation phase.

Should you pay your debts?  Yes, until it becomes advantageous not too.

Should you be in debt?  You should carry as little as possible but carry enough to maintain your credit worthiness.

What role will lawyers play, and will they be fixers?  Same as always.

What kind of bribes should you pay to whom and when?  Local zoning boards and 'marijuana' approval councils that are handing out licenses.   Start 12-18 months before you plan to start your business.

What kind of work should you look for?  You should market and apply any skill that you have that provides value that gives you with a of sense of achievement - or at least leaves you with some small dignity.

Will gun ownership still be Legal?  Yes although there's likely to be longer waits and tighter vetting in most states.

What should you do if you are traveling and meet up with a Russian motorcycle gang? (Don’t laugh, it happened to us a couple of years ago)  Buy them a round of Vodka?  I've met the occasional Russian but not a gang.  Don't know how it changes.

Will traveling be safe?  Sure, as long as you're in established lanes.  Free range travel will always be caveat emptor.

Will cruising in your sailboat be safe?  Sure, as long as you're in established lanes although I think more care should be paid toward local restrictions and freak weather.  Free range travel will always be caveat emptor.

Will your children be safe?  As safe as today.

I’m really interested in what our right wing brethren feel about this, in a positive sense- what will be the positives of a 2nd Trump term?

Some fearless predictions!

The trade war continues.  The best thing out of Trump is that we get through the 'post Bretton Woods Agreement' phase finally rather than the zombie-phase were were locked in.  I think that's inevitable and will be, by far, the longest impact of the Trump presidency.  By 'best' I don't mean good by the way - but necessary.

Financially, if you're doing well now, you'll keep doing well.  If you're not, you won't.  Status quo and consolidation on those fronts although I think we're going to enter a channel on the S&P for the next 4-6 years starting about 2 months ago.  Just a hunch.

4 hours ago, Happy said:

Trump is the best American president Russia ever had.

So was the release of lethal arms to Ukraine part of the Putin's plan or is that part of the Deep State plan?

Conspiring minds want to know!

Honestly, that's part of the 'Putin's bitch' arguments I can't square.

Why does Putin want NATO to buy more arms?  Wouldn't he RATHER have them weak and just have the US pull back at an appropriate time?  Why does Putin want MORE arms to Saudi Arabia when he's supporting Iranian expansion?  Why weapons to Ukraine when the Non-lethal support was getting the job done?   None of that makes any sense to me and seems counter to the bitch-argument unless it's some weird 'internal Russian politics' and it's posturing for the Oligarchs.  But Putin has shown minimal interest in that kinda posturing with them.

10 hours ago, Amati said:

How about for those who fear Trump?  Do you love him?  What positives does he bring to the table?

Why are fear and love your only options?

Why Trump at all?  The real bitch is that the bitch didn't win as she was supposed to; whether she tried or not.

Sore losers seems to be a realistic option.

25 minutes ago, Jules said:

Russia sells arms

So... Putin wants Trump to force the Spanish to buy more weapons - from the US / French mostly - so he can sell weapons too.... who?  Or that somehow just pushing proliferation in NATO will scare the people NATO threatens into more arm purchases.  Ok.. so Who is NATO threatening not named Russia?

I can't get around Occam's razor on this one..  To me, Trump is an attention seeking narcissist with daddy issues who seeks approval from archetypal masculine strongmen.   Other people notice and play on those proclivities for their own interests - which SOMETIMES are in alignment with Trump, but just as often as not.  He's not a bitch but he is a patsy.  He's the naive rich kid to whom you sell shitty drugs for profit.

11 hours ago, pogen said:

First of all the economy is not the stock market,  The stock mark ( s&P 500 ) has double under the Clinton ( I'm not a Clinton fan) then halved under Bushm ( I voted for)           Then thiple under Obama, and so far under Trump it's only gone up 1/3 which has been inflated by the Fed. read up on the REPRO ?QE going on with the big banks, So what previous era you talking about?

Unemployment is a rigged #, by all admintrations nothing new. Also Malls and business's are going out of business left and right. The only thing that might be keeping the economy good is the debt that keeps going up, wonder when that will end? 

Funny with Obama's 1.9 GDP rate , Trump said the economy is shit , will now he has 1.9 GDP and the economy is great?

Trump did a great fixing the health care, at least for the CEO's of United health care

He's also done a lot cleaning up the polluted planet,

The only thing and his followers are good at is blaming others,  It's all Hillary fault, 

20 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

The USA destroyed the USSR by egging them on in an arms race they couldn't afford. Just sayin......

So Putin is pushing Trump to get Europeans to buy more military hardware so he can bankrupt the European economies?  They're THAT weak?  That a 1% GDP spend to a 2% GDP spend - pushes them over the edge?  I'd buy the 'Putin makes Trump LOOK like he's opposing Putin occasionally to throw people off his tracks' argument more.  I actually expected the that to be the primary defense of the Manchurian thesis - you've given me a different angle!

The EU has lived very well for decades on the largess of the USA funding their defense more or less. I think Putin may well be smart enough to now a debate about cutting into various social programs to buy more guns could possibly tear the EU apart. My sense of EU politics is very very few people over there want anything to do with a USA style economy where you have a ton of fighter jets and are fucked if you get sick.

One more wedge issue to stir them up and Russia *needs* an enemy. They seem to only function if they imagine their backs against the wall about to be overrun by NATO barbarian hordes.

EDIT> Putin-bots usually are found on both sides of divisive issues. Putin is probably gleefully supporting expanding NATO, dismantling NATO, EU buying more arms, EU buying less arms, and anything else that he can get people worked up about.

11 hours ago, Sean said:

To bad Canada is so damn cold. Wait - summers in Canada winter in Cuba? Win!

When I retire from this shithole job and get SSI, I could very easily GTFO of 'Murrica, the NOT greatest county!  Except the kids live a thousand miles away in S. Carolina, so I would have to pay a shitty property manager to handle the rentals......

5 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

The EU has lived very well for decades on the largess of the USA funding their defense more or less. I think Putin may well be smart enough to now a debate about cutting into various social programs to buy more guns could possibly tear the EU apart. My sense of EU politics is very very few people over there want anything to do with a USA style economy where you have a ton of fighter jets and are fucked if you get sick.

Which is two reasons why we are racing to the bottom, as a first world country....

7 hours ago, pogen said:

As to Trump, I don’t like him or hate him or fear him.   

I’m thinking this whole thread is a troll.  

Nice try, but why not take Trump seriously?  The man is serious as a heart attack.

One thing you would likely see: A spread of corruption and lawlessness in government. Why should I tie myself in knots following 100 rules and regulations when the people at the top just do WTF they want to?

The second thing you would see is other politicians learning foreign state help to win elections is a thing.

1 minute ago, cmilliken said:

This may actually be one of the more profound changes to health care in a long time.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-administration-releases-transparency-rule-in-hospital-pricing-11573825649?mod=hp_lead_pos2

I love the tag line "Plans to propose similar requirement for insurers; legal challenges are likely"

Ya think?

:)

Perhaps profound, as in "wow, they're ripping us off even more than we thought".  But not game changing.  Forcing them to disclose their rates may encourage a little competition, but let's face it:  most people don't bargain shop hospitals.  When you need one, you need one.  And it's rarely the dotor's appointments that drive people into bankruptcy and insolvency.  It's the sudden and severe illnesses that result in hundreds of thousands in medical bills.

We recently had to have my son give a urine sample.  The receptionist handed us a cup and pointed to the rest room across the hall.  (Just a general rest room).  He went in and did his duty, then came back and handed them a cup.  We were charged for use of their lab facilities.  We questioned it, and were told that he used their bathroom, and that qualifies.  And unless you take them to court you can't get them to change their mind, no matter how much you yell.

54 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

One thing you would likely see: A spread of corruption and lawlessness in government. Why should I tie myself in knots following 100 rules and regulations when the people at the top just do WTF they want to?

The second thing you would see is other politicians learning foreign state help to win elections is a thing.

And increasing expansion of corruption in business.

Judges are already known for being somewhat capricious, this is partly due to the huge and IMHO inconsistent body of precedent they have to choose from.

We already have examples of lawyered-up businesses shaking down customers and smaller businesses. What about banks just emptying your account into their boards' pockets? Why would they care when Trump has fired half the regulators ("regulation is BAD!") and tells the other half to only enforce rules against banks he tells them to.

Things are already spiraling down IMHO. As that accelerates, the door is open to all kinds of shit.

- DSK

11 hours ago, pogen said:

Sorry, I thought the purple font was unnecessary.

Stand corrected on the economy , todays GDP growth from CNBC 

• GDP growth is barely positive in the fourth quarter, according to two Federal Reserve measures.
  • The Atlanta Fed’s tracker is at 0.3%, while the New York Fed’s is showing 0.4%

7 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

To the OP thread title question...... Mass Suicide Self-Murder?

I'd recommend mass shootings of people wearing MAGA hats before offing oneself in despair.

(Purple font off - for the morons here)

46 minutes ago, CyberBOB said:

It's terrible up here in the Frozen Shithole of Hoth.  

Stay away!

Horrible. Knee-deep snow for ten months of the year, rain for the other two. Current webcam pic. Our boat is off to the left.

waterfront.jpg

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Horrible. Knee-deep snow for ten months of the year, rain for the other two. Current webcam pic. Our boat is off to the left.

waterfront.jpg

Shut up Ish!

FFS!

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

waterfront.jpg

Ours is off to the right, under that menacing rain cloud.  Boat’s covered in green mold, the teak is decaying from all the fresh water falling from the sky, and I have to get out the snow shovel and keep the cg from getting too high.  What’s fresh at the fish house?