Unofficial Offshore Racing

FishFood

Say I wanted to race in TransPac, Annapolis to Bermuda, etc. but didn't care for official recognition. Could one just race alongside, make it known you are doing so and say F off to the organizers? This way you can avoid buying all the proper equipment and entrance fees. I mean, they don't own the ocean. Do they?

Is this a thing? Just a thought with all the people moaning about expenses related to such races.

6 minutes ago, bgytr said:

You are not racing if you are not registered.  You're sailing from point a to point b.  That's it.

Two douche bags are racing on the highway and a third douche bag decides to hop in without it being the intention of the original two. Douche bag three isn't racing? I think being officially recognized is a moot point, still racing imo.

40 minutes ago, kawalski said:

Sounds like a dick move.

Especially when you get in trouble, need to be rescued, have decided to forgo buying the safety kit and other sailors who are actually racing have to stop racing to stop you from dying.

What if you have those cyanide filled fake teeth and let them know before hand you'll just suicide and sink when things go wrong?

Still a douche?

8 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Total ass hat move.It takes a lot of work to organize that kind of event.Not cool.

Well according to the guy above I'm just traveling from point a to point b, not my problem they decided to get all official and shit.

What is the point? You can sail to Bermuda or wherever any time you want to. If you want to see how you would have done in the actual race, sure go ahead at the same time. Not LITERALLY the same time, don't get in the way of the start :rolleyes: You will be just be some random boat to the racers, you won't be welcome at any of their ceremonies or reserved mooring areas.

If you start bugging the real racers about this or that it would seem very odd at best. If you have a crap boat and are thinking they are your mobile rescue service, please rethink that idea.

2 hours ago, FishFood said:

Say I wanted to race in TransPac, Annapolis to Bermuda, etc. but didn't care for official recognition. Could one just race alongside, make it known you are doing so and say F off to the organizers? This way you can avoid buying all the proper equipment and entrance fees. I mean, they don't own the ocean. Do they?

Is this a thing? Just a thought with all the people moaning about expenses related to such races.

Maybe you can go to expensive restaurants, and go from table to table asking people "Are you gonna eat that?" and taking food from their plates.

I mean, people are moaning about it's so expensive and everything, and it's not like they grew & harvested the food themselves.

FB- Doug

16 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Maybe you can go to expensive restaurants, and go from table to table asking people "Are you gonna eat that?" and taking food from their plates.

I mean, people are moaning about it's so expensive and everything, and it's not like they grew & harvested the food themselves.

FB- Doug

Racing to Bermuda we would come across people just randomly sailing there. It didn't bother us or take away from the race. They didn't keep tacking on us and calling starboard or anything. I doubt racers would really notice random cruisers headed the same way.

What I don't get is WHY you have to go the same day they do. You aren't starting with them and you aren't (I hope!) crossing their finish line. The Bermuda Ocean Race from Annapolis has always had some cruiser type entries that just wanted some company and weren't really concerned with a pickle dish. Go sign up with them or maybe put in an ad someplace and find a few more cruisers and all go at the same time.

OMG you folks are slow to recognize what is solely a troll.  The fishing seems to be really good on this forum LOL. 

5 hours ago, FishFood said:

Say I wanted to race in TransPac, Annapolis to Bermuda, etc. but didn't care for official recognition. Could one just race alongside, make it known you are doing so and say F off to the organizers? This way you can avoid buying all the proper equipment and entrance fees.

My son and I occasionally would pace a Wednesday night race on my old Quarter Pounder to spectate but we stayed well out of the way and just sort of followed along for part of it.

Never any indication it was a problem.

Getting into the thick of it would be a totally dick move.

You're not racing, so don't pretend to. Racing requires complying with the same set of standards of boats you race against.

The water is free, so you can sail at the same time to the same place if you so wish.

One thing you'll run into is "No Room at the Inn."

Dockage at departure could be minimal, and arrival you probably will be at anchor with no dock space for you, bring a dinghy.

I would recommend getting near the start sometime around when the fastest boats plan to start. There will be a boat with flags on it and a buoy nearby (probably and orange or red inflatable). Tie up to the buoy.

You will see all the fast boats arrive, and start sailing around. when you see a blue flag with a white square on it untie from the buoy, turn on the motor and hang out right between the boat and the buoy. put up sails, and as the racing boats get close to you, start sailing in roughly the right direction on port tack. If you are not ready don't worry, there will be another lot along in about 5 minutes.

Most racers will be very friendly to you, if any of them say bad things take a video and report them to the race organizers.

3 minutes ago, JohnMB said:

I would recommend getting near the start sometime around when the fastest boats plan to start. There will be a boat with flags on it and a buoy nearby (probably and orange or red inflatable). Tie up to the buoy.

You will see all the fast boats arrive, and start sailing around. when you see a blue flag with a white square on it untie from the buoy, turn on the motor and hang out right between the boat and the buoy. put up sails, and as the racing boats get close to you, start sailing in roughly the right direction on port tack. If you are not ready don't worry, there will be another lot along in about 5 minutes.

Most racers will be very friendly to you, if any of them say bad things take a video and report them to the race organizers.

+1 if you leave your fenders out to qualm any fears about bumping into you

12 hours ago, Wess said:

OMG you folks are slow to recognize what is solely a troll.  The fishing seems to be really good on this forum 

I mean, I'm not solely a troll. My other thread is 100% real. This was just some bullshit I thought would ruffle some feathers as I floated in Monterey Bay at 3am with no wind.

Won't be doing this people, just a joking response to those threads about expenses relating to racing. 

I'm all for you guys wanting to be pansies and capitulate to the powers that be instead of participating in anarchistic mayhem. 

"pansies and capitulate to the powers that be"   ???   You are saying that people who learn, invest time and money in gear, safety, and educating themselves are pansies...   even as a joke it's humorless?    So what do you call someone who leaves with no experience, unprepared, no safety equipment looking for free gear and whatever they can grift?    A few times I thought about offering some advice or maybe even some gear but you are a dick and worse, a troll.  Trolling people you are asking for help from makes you a first class dick.  You said you wanted to meet me at the dock?   Drop a note if you make it to the SF Bay and I'll stop by for a visit and you can can explain to me why all the sailors that have walked the walk, not just talked the talk are merely "capitulating".  Then you can call me a pansy to my face.    Mayhem indeed.

If I was sailing from somewhere near Newport to Bermuda, sometime in June, I would absolutely start the same day. I wouldn't do it without a boat that mostly meets the requirements and would stay out of the start area. 

43 minutes ago, Dex Sawash said:

If I was sailing from somewhere near Newport to Bermuda, sometime in June, I would absolutely start the same day. I wouldn't do it without a boat that mostly meets the requirements and would stay out of the start area. 

Pansy

FB- Doug

23 hours ago, JohnMB said:

Some cruiser did this at the AYC Doublehanded a month ago. Dropped anchor about a 50 yards back from the line, right smack in the middle 

the L30 caught his anchor line during the start sequence, it delayed the race and the L30 broke a rudder and eventually had to withdraw.  All so the cruiser could get a better view...

On 11/15/2019 at 3:13 AM, FishFood said:

I mean, they don't own the ocean. Do they?

They do. 

5 hours ago, solosailor said:

"pansies and capitulate to the powers that be"   ???   You are saying that people who learn, invest time and money in gear, safety, and educating themselves are pansies...   even as a joke it's humorless?    So what do you call someone who leaves with no experience, unprepared, no safety equipment looking for free gear and whatever they can grift?    A few times I thought about offering some advice or maybe even some gear but you are a dick and worse, a troll.  Trolling people you are asking for help from makes you a first class dick.  You said you wanted to meet me at the dock?   Drop a note if you make it to the SF Bay and I'll stop by for a visit and you can can explain to me why all the sailors that have walked the walk, not just talked the talk are merely "capitulating".  Then you can call me a pansy to my face.    Mayhem indeed.

Holy. Fuck. Are you ok? Yeah, I asked for free gear and when someone offered money I accepted while asking all of SA for donations. You are right on the mark my man. A light troll post about a relevant topic is such an egregious offense... Brb, heading to confession and volunteering at the local animal shelter to gain God's forgiveness.

Please go get some pussy, dick or whatever you prefer and calm the fuck down. 

Edit: I wouldn't call you a pansy because I'm not an asshole, I'd buy you a beer or invite you aboard to smoke a joint and show you you're likely wrong about what you think of me. 

37 minutes ago, FishFood said:

Holy. Fuck. Are you ok? Yeah, I asked for free gear and when someone offered money I accepted while asking all of SA for donations. You are right on the mark my man. A light troll post about a relevant topic is such an egregious offense... Brb, heading to confession and volunteering at the local animal shelter to gain God's forgiveness.

Edit: I wouldn't call you a pansy because I'm not an asshole, I'd buy you a beer or invite you aboard to smoke a joint and show you you're likely wrong about what you think of me. 

Trolling never was a one way street :).

6 hours ago, solosailor said:

"pansies and capitulate to the powers that be"   ???   You are saying that people who learn, invest time and money in gear, safety, and educating themselves are pansies...   even as a joke it's humorless?    So what do you call someone who leaves with no experience, unprepared, no safety equipment looking for free gear and whatever they can grift?

Rimas.....

FKT

On 11/15/2019 at 11:51 AM, HalyardsHigh said:

Yes, this is a universally acknowledged mark of good seamanship.   Very salty.

Just now, pogen said:
On 11/15/2019 at 11:51 AM, HalyardsHigh said:

Yes, this is a universally acknowledged mark of good seamanship.   Very salty.

Real seamen never take them off.

I seem to recall a certain Mac26 owner decided to test the “they don’t own the water” theory by putting his “best ever” boat on a start line during a start. It didn’t work out well. 

feel free to sail to Hawaii anytime. I might not recommend the winter but it can be done.

On 11/16/2019 at 6:13 AM, SloopJonB said:

My son and I occasionally would pace a Wednesday night race on my old Quarter Pounder to spectate but we stayed well out of the way and just sort of followed along for part of it.

Never any indication it was a problem.

Getting into the thick of it would be a totally dick move.

You used to race one of these?

latest?cb=20190315032117

On 11/15/2019 at 7:45 AM, Mark Set said:

Im gunna try this at the next inshore race round the bouys, not register but show up on the starting line. They dont own the bay!

True, to a point. The racers don't own the bay.

One of my pet peeves is when racers get within a half mile of a cruiser and start screaming their heads off with shit like, "HEY! We're RACING here! Get out of the way!"

On the other hand, as a racer out cruising, we should select a course which keeps us out of their wind and doesn't cause them to alter course, even if I'm on stbd and they're on port, or I'm leeward and they're windward.

I've seen too many power boaters dick with sailors and I've seen too many sailors dick with power boaters. Don't do that.

3 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

I've seen too many power boaters dick with sailors and I've seen too many sailors dick with power boaters. Don't do that.

There is much dicking out your way.

4 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

48 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

There is much dicking out your way.

Sounds like a daisy chain or a jerk circle up in the PNW

4 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

One of my pet peeves is when racers get within a half mile of a cruiser and start screaming their heads off with shit like, "HEY! We're RACING here! Get out of the way!"

Saw someone try that back when I was a university student out sailing with some of my friends. Usual thing - bunch of fried chicken, slabs of beer, nice Sydney day, no particular place to go.

My skipper's response was 'This is a steel boat. Fuck off and go round us'.

He didn't plan on putting his beer down.

FKT

14 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

On the other hand, as a racer out cruising, we should select a course which keeps us out of their wind and doesn't cause them to alter course, even if I'm on stbd and they're on port, or I'm leeward and they're windward.

Preamble to Rule 1: don't be a dick!

- DSK

13 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

No, but at least on SFBay they have a marine event permit from the coast guard, and will have called in the starting and ending times.

Racer's still have to observe COLREGS, and there are a few times when there's dredge transiting, that we suspend the starting sequence for a bit.

I've had more issues with racers who are not in my start, but who are doing a practice run ahead of theirs. 

14 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Me racing: STARBOARD

Cruiser: We aren't in your stupid race! You don't own the Bay!

Me: STARBOARD and please note starboard applies to YOU, it isn't a racing rule. I need new paint though, so your call :rolleyes:

You're not going to win that one -- COLREGS are less forgiving about collision than RRS are about contact. No Rule 14 exoneration just because you're stand-on vessel.

On 11/16/2019 at 2:34 PM, FishFood said:

Are YOU ok? You have no respect for the sea, nor those who have gone before you and performed in a seaman-like manner.

On 11/17/2019 at 6:18 PM, Somebody Else said:

At the local park, a soccer game organized by the local club, reserved the field and jumped through all the hoops to host the event, volunteers giving their all, then comes ambling through the proceedings a citizen proclaiming "you dont own the field"...ya right, you go around 

Archived