What's in your arsenal??

18 hours ago, Burning Man said:

I'm still very interested in getting into the .22LR long range game.  I'm having a hard time justifying a Vudoo at the moment, but wondered what y'all thought of the Ruger Rimfire Precision rifle?  Retails for about $450.

image.png.443963ca08951d10705712ce1be7e08d.png

I got to fondle one today.  It didn't bowl me over.  I'm not a huge fan of the chassis skeleton look or feel.  Yet.  But it had some interesting features and most reviews say accuracy is pretty good.  I guess it depends on what "pretty good" really means.

Any thoughts?

I don't care for the way ruger's extraction works, other than that, lots of happy users.  A buddy just picked up a CZ457.  It seems like a better choice and I think in the ballpark for dollars.  Came with a really sorry AR style buffer tube, adjustable rear stock.  I think he's swapping that out.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have two Winchester Model 94's. These are part of my families history. The top one was my dads high school graduation present from 1948. It is a .32 Special. When i was young, he always promise

In wouldn't necessarily call myself a "placid" driver.  But I usually don't go out of my way to instigate confrontations either.  However, this one day on the way home from work on a fairly open fast

and some orthere stuffe to.                                    

Posted Images

Not one hole, But I'm working on it....  ;)

IMG_7484.thumb.jpg.aff10ea528837a61448ea58d17e606db.jpg

.260 (6.5) at 100yds.  

Inside is a bit of a cheat.  No wind and no thermal action.  I was still surprised at how stupid accurate that thing is.

.260 (6.5) at 100yds.  

Understand the Lapua pert on the card, what's the other data on the card Jeff?

15 hours ago, Burning Man said:
15 hours ago, Point Break said:

Been reading about the potential issues with my new Mossy 930 spx cycling with some ammo too low in FPS. Talk about failure to eject. Anybody have advice on rounds for semi auto shotty ammo.

Not sure about your particular gun, but I have a case of Fiocci 00 and #4 buck that seems to work perfectly in my Benelli M2.  Sure doesn't feel "weak" to me.  ;)

Edit to add:  I wonder if the issue was with "light" target loads.  You can get them for skeet and trap and they are definitely light loads, mostly for O/Us.  They might not cycle well in an auto gun.  

My M2 happily cycles light bird loads.  28 gram/1 ounce #8 with no issue.  Out of lockdown yesterday and ran 110 through mine.;) 

1 hour ago, mad said:

I'm going to bet the 42.8 - 4451 is the load (42.8gr of 4451), although I'm not familiar with 4451

The other numbers are group size (.346" for 5 shots, .288" without the outlier) and muzzle velocity

6 hours ago, mad said:
On 12/17/2020 at 5:27 PM, Burning Man said:

.260 (6.5) at 100yds.  

Yep, I was shooting a load in Lapua brass and the same load in some virgin "Prime" headstamp brass (Nosler) to compare.  42.8 grains of IMR-4451 (a new rifle powder, love it BTW!) pushing a Berger 140 gr 6.5mm Hybrid Target match bullet.  It was a 5 shot group, so .346 inches for the group and .288 discounting the one flyer.  2930 feet per sec muzzle velocity on the chronograph.

The one on the right was supposed to be a 5 shot group, but I was shooting at 1200 yds prior to this and forgot to reset the scope turret back to zero.  Ooops.  So hence only 4 holes.  :o

• Like 1
4 hours ago, sledracr said:

I'm going to bet the 42.8 - 4451 is the load (42.8gr of 4451), although I'm not familiar with 4451

The other numbers are group size (.346" for 5 shots, .288" without the outlier) and muzzle velocity

Winner winner chicken dinner!

On 12/17/2020 at 5:33 PM, Burning Man said:

Any thoughts?

This was my first rifle after a life time of shotguns. I got it on special 2 yrs ago with a supplied cheapo scope (scope twice upgraded).

I love it! The skeleton stock is very adjustable and light. 3" resetting target @ 100++ yds all day long... It takes 5 shots to reset the target. 5 resets: least bullets wins! 

I've come to realize that I don't need a higher powered rifle that can hit targets 500-1K+ yards out for a few reasons: That's a long walk to and fro, that gun and it's ammo are expensive, it's super loud and I'm not in the military killing bad guys from afar.... It's just target play.

On 12/17/2020 at 8:33 PM, Burning Man said:

I'm still very interested in getting into the .22LR long range game.  I'm having a hard time justifying a Vudoo at the moment, but wondered what y'all thought of the Ruger Rimfire Precision rifle?  Retails for about $450.

I got to fondle one today.  It didn't bowl me over.  I'm not a huge fan of the chassis skeleton look or feel.  Yet.  But it had some interesting features and most reviews say accuracy is pretty good.  I guess it depends on what "pretty good" really means.

Any thoughts?

Two thoughts:

The adjustable stock looks kinda warlike and naughty.

It's available in .17 HMR, which is way more fun if you shoot things other than paper.

On 12/17/2020 at 7:33 PM, Burning Man said:

I'm having a hard time justifying a Vudoo at the moment, but

Another thing to consider is you can use a vudoo or bergara action, buy the same trigger and stock as your 260, and use it as a trainer.  I know a couple of guys that are doing that.  To the point of adding weight to get the feel and balance as similar as possible.

12 minutes ago, Hatin' life said:

I'm having a hard time justifying a Vudoo at the moment, but

Another thing to consider is you can use a vudoo or bergara action, buy the same trigger and stock as your 260, and use it as a trainer.  I know a couple of guys that are doing that.  To the point of adding weight to get the feel and balance as similar as possible.

I've been thinking that exact thing lately.  But, No can do on the .260.  It's an AI-AT  (Accuracy Intl) and the whole action is essentially bonded to the stock.  It has "skins" that are removable, but not the action itself.  

I do have a Rem 700 (.308) in a beautiful McMillian stock that has been gathering dust since I bought the AI .260.  I was actually looking at Bergara B-14 barreled actions for around $500 that would just drop right into the McMillian.  I think that is likely the route I'll go instead of the Ruger.  I have not looked at Vudoo barreled actions (if they exist), but I would assume they are quite a bit higher $$ than the Bergara.  The nice thing about the Bergara is that the mag is an AICS pattern, which is what my McMillian bottom metal is now - so winning!  

The only downside to that plan is I've also been toying with the idea of rebarreling the Rem 700 into either a .260 (for commonality) or a 6mm or 6.5mm Creedmoor for the wife to shoot and/or as a TAC precision competition match gun.  The AI is a laser, but it's heavy AF!  I'm betting with the scope, it's > 16-17lbs.  Probably pushing 20lbs.  

I could definitely swap back and forth with the Rem and the .22 barreled action, but it's a PITA.  Yes, I know it's only 2 screws, but I'm lazy :lol:

27 minutes ago, Hatin' life said:

Ok, update - I checked on Vudoo V-22 barreled actions and at $1700+ - that a show stopper.  The Bergara is looking better all the time.  

58 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Ok, update - I checked on Vudoo V-22 barreled actions and at $1700+ - that a show stopper.  The Bergara is looking better all the time.  

If I hadn't been in the exact mood I was in, and just found rim fire competition, I couldn't justify it.  But, I've worked over 2600 hours this year and fuck it, I wanted a treat.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Hatin' life said:

If I hadn't been in the exact mood I was in, and just found rim fire competition, I couldn't justify it.  But, I've worked over 2600 hours this year and fuck it, I wanted a treat.

Good for you!  I would love one as well.  And there's nothing wrong with treating yourself to something that brings you enjoyment - whether it's a fine match grade rifle, a really nice bottle of red, a top shelf Thai hooker, or whatever.  :lol:

And I certainly can't judge, I don't want to think what I've dropped on my precision rifle addiction hobby.

• Like 1
On 12/17/2020 at 8:33 PM, Burning Man said:

Any thoughts?

I have read the guns are inconsistent, ie some guns shoot lights out while others just dont.  There are lots of ways to improve them without spending a ton of money.  My recollection is there is a thread on Snipers Hide on how to improve their overall consistency and accuracy - search Accurizing Ruger RPR.

I wish Tikka would bring the T1X MTR LH to the USA.  They say they make one, but cant find them anywhere.

MS

On 12/19/2020 at 10:05 PM, Hatin' life said:

Good attitude. :lol:

That's my philosophy with buying my self another new shottie next year, or as soon as lockdowns will allow.

1 hour ago, mad said:

That's my philosophy with buying my self another new shottie next year, or as soon as lockdowns will allow.

It's been a very long time since I spent that much money on something for myself.  I feel guilty, but that rifle is freaking awesome.

13 minutes ago, Hatin' life said:
2 hours ago, mad said:

It's been a very long time since I spent that much money on something for myself.  I feel guilty, but that rifle is freaking awesome.

Do it, you'll forget about the money in seconds..... I justify it by working out how little it really is over the amount of use I get from mine, works out quite well when I calculate it by the round. My last one has cost me less than £1 a round/cartridge this year :P

11 minutes ago, mad said:

Do it, you'll forget about the money in seconds..... I justify it by working out how little it really is over the amount of use I get from mine, works out quite well when I calculate it by the round. My last one has cost me less than £1 a round/cartridge this year :P

That's just it.  Rimfire you can shoot the piss out of it, and not spend much, which offsets the cost of buying it.

I'd shit if my Volquartsen had less than 10k rounds put through it.  That's pretty cheap compared to even buying a cheap 223, and running cheap ammo through it.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, mad said:

Just one boatbuck will get you that expensive .22, optics and other stuff, and a bunch of ammo. I can't be alone in saying that my Polynavicular Morbus is way more expensive than my Polytelum Morbus. Hey, I may have invented a new screen name there!

• Like 1
On 12/20/2020 at 2:55 PM, Mr. Squirrel said:

I have read the guns are inconsistent, ie some guns shoot lights out while others just dont.  There are lots of ways to improve them without spending a ton of money.  My recollection is there is a thread on Snipers Hide on how to improve their overall consistency and accuracy - search Accurizing Ruger RPR.

I wish Tikka would bring the T1X MTR LH to the USA.  They say they make one, but cant find them anywhere.

MS

Thanks.  I'll probably pass on it.  The bolt felt really "meh" on working it.  Not smooth at all, very draggy for what it should be.  

I'm really leaning towards the Begara barrelled action to drop in my Rem 700 stock.  I'd love to actually feel on first, but all reviews I've seen look positive.  Anyone here shot one?  The barreled action is about $650-700.  Is there anything better out there for the same $$?  I'm really stoked about the Rem 700 pattern as a "trainer" gun for precision tac matches.  It even allows you to adjust the bolt throw to mimic a short action bolt feel from the short .22 throw.  

Also, put a can on it.  A suppressed bolt action .22 is damn near movie quiet.

Not having to wear or remember hearing protection is a pleasure.  Until fuckhead three aisles over breaks out the big shit with a muzzle break...

8 hours ago, Hatin' life said:

Also, put a can on it.  A suppressed bolt action .22 is damn near movie quiet.

Not having to wear or remember hearing protection is a pleasure.  Until fuckhead three aisles over breaks out the big shit with a muzzle break...

Yeah, I shoot most things suppressed these days.  I was shooting a 9mm MP-5 just this am with subs.  The action cycling and the hit on the steel is far louder than the report.  

I have a .22 can for a pistol - but need to get a rifle can in .22LR.  I've heard the tax stamp process is much quicker these days.  I wonder what the time frame is now??  When I got my other cans, it was close to 20 months.  

Any thoughts?

9 9 9 !

Der Anschutz 1761 ist vut you vant. 

41 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Yeah, I shoot most things suppressed these days.  I was shooting a 9mm MP-5 just this am with subs.  The action cycling and the hit on the steel is far louder than the report.  

I have a .22 can for a pistol - but need to get a rifle can in .22LR.  I've heard the tax stamp process is much quicker these days.  I wonder what the time frame is now??  When I got my other cans, it was close to 20 months.  

Is there a difference between rifle and pistol in 22lr?  The one I bought, (and is sitting in jail), said both, but I don't understand what the difference would be.

I've read it's 6-8 months.  Who knows though.  I'm two months in, and will be happy as a clam if it shows up by late spring.  I'm doubtful though.

On my property this minute:

8 immediately accessible kitchen knives

4 heavy cooking pans also very handy

4 wooden folding chairs

1 Louisville slugger

200 books, hardback

many fountain pens and pencils

screwdrivers

crowbars

hammers

mauls

a pitch fork

3 axes

2 machetes

30 loose bricks

20 gallons of gasoline

1 map gas torch

many cans of aerosol flammables

15 road flares

1 pick

1 super sawzawl

2 battery powered drills with 12 inch masonry bits

1 Stihl chainsaw

1 Ryobi electric branch chain saw

2 Japanese serrated branch saws (one and done on the ol femoral or carotid arteries) I mean duct tape one of these to your hand and unless the other guy has a long stick or a firearm you will fuck him up! Map gas torch in other hand with your motorcycle suit and helmet on and the other guy better have a firearm or a sword. Put gas in a squirt bottle and run after him with a lighted flare in the other hand and even then the sword won't work. Really a good case to made for being an amateur javelin thrower. Hmmm.

You know, I am going to get a compound bow and some hay bales for Christmas. 

4 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

I thought it was about home defense. Did not read one fucking previous post in this thread. Sorry.

Probably best to delete it then, this is a perfectly civilised thread.

Sheesh, self-defense is as legitimate a subject for this topic as is paper punching. 

Although, the rimfire long distance precision competition discussion has been really enjoyable - and expensive. I've actually put my name on a couple of lists for the Ruger Custom 10/22 Competition. Already got way too many 10/22s - what's one more? 

23 hours ago, Liquid said:

Why are cans so expensive? $1K for a 5.56 can? $400 for a 22lr

They seem like very straight forward simple tech, some are just a few pieces total.

Seems like a higher than jewelry markup

Actually, they are quite simple and fairly easy to manufacture.  In fact you can make them yourself quite cheaply with basic tools.  Even better you can buy 80% kits where all the work as been done for you and you simply drill the hole and tap the threads to match the barrel.  All you need to do it and stay away from running afoul of the ATF is to file a Form 1 and pays your money.  I've been seriously thinking about doing one of these kits.

Here's a good primer on the process:  https://www.silencercentral.com/blog/atf-form-1-everything-you-need-to-know/

And some threads on what to do:  https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/quietbore-22lr-titanium-suppressor-build-review-approved-form-1-required.6954719/

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Hatin' life said:

Is there a difference between rifle and pistol in 22lr?  The one I bought, (and is sitting in jail), said both, but I don't understand what the difference would be.

For .22, I don't think so.  It's about pressure, and I doubt there is any difference in pressure between a .22 coming out of a 5" barrel vs one out of an 18" barrel.  I could be wrong.

When I said I had a .22 pistol can, I meant the shape was meant for a pistol.  Its the Silencer Co Opsrey micro. It's Shaped that way so presumably you don't need the extended sights on a pistol.  It would work fine on a rifle, it would just look weird.  

6gxZGGsoYqQD_OIiN2QcVA8Nu_PtVZVe2BZIpfxj

One last question from you 22NRL experts before I pull the trigger (pun intended) on a Begara B-14 barreled action.  Other than weight, is there any advantage to the carbon barrel over the steel barrel?  For $100 more, the carbon action/bbl weighs 1.2 lbs less than the same steel barrel/action.  Is there any advantage to the carbon in terms of accuracy or heat dissipation?

1 minute ago, Burning Man said:

One last question from you 22NRL experts before I pull the trigger (pun intended) on a Begara B-14 barreled action.  Other than weight, is there any advantage to the carbon barrel over the steel barrel?  For $100 more, the carbon action/bbl weighs 1.2 lbs less than the same steel barrel/action.  Is there any advantage to the carbon in terms of accuracy or heat dissipation?

I am not an NRL22 expert, but I did sleep....  Carbon is an insulator so the carbon barrel actually retains more heat than a steel barrel.  The carbon barrel gives you equivalent stiffness at less weight.  And they look cool.  That is about it.  You might compare how much weight you could save with a fluted steel barrel.  Again nearly as stiff, but lighter than a full steel barrel.

I actually managed to find a X-22 Backpacker stock at the LGS today for my 10/22 takedown.  Much prefer it to the stock stock.

MS

1 hour ago, Burning Man said:

For .22, I don't think so.  It's about pressure, and I doubt there is any difference in pressure between a .22 coming out of a 5" barrel vs one out of an 18" barrel.  I could be wrong.

When I said I had a .22 pistol can, I meant the shape was meant for a pistol.  Its the Silencer Co Opsrey micro. It's Shaped that way so presumably you don't need the extended sights on a pistol.  It would work fine on a rifle, it would just look weird.  

6gxZGGsoYqQD_OIiN2QcVA8Nu_PtVZVe2BZIpfxj

I need a Mark IV in my life....

MS

On 12/22/2020 at 7:26 PM, Dorado said:

9 9 9 !

Der Anschutz 1761 ist vut you vant. 

Haha, yes I would love one of those.  But just looked them up and at $1300+, it's a bit out of my price range.  Dankeschön!

44 minutes ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

I am not an NRL22 expert, but I did sleep....  Carbon is an insulator so the carbon barrel actually retains more heat than a steel barrel.  The carbon barrel gives you equivalent stiffness at less weight.  And they look cool.  That is about it.  You might compare how much weight you could save with a fluted steel barrel.  Again nearly as stiff, but lighter than a full steel barrel.

I actually managed to find a X-22 Backpacker stock at the LGS today for my 10/22 takedown.  Much prefer it to the stock stock.

MS

Thanks.  Some google reading and my shooting mentor is saying pretty much the same thing.  

43 minutes ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

I need a Mark IV in my life....

MS

I've shot a lot of Mark IVs and tbh, I'm not a fan.  It just doesn't fit right in my hand.  However, I loves me some Ruger SR-22.  :D

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

I really like the Magpul stock and forend that I put on the 870.  The M-LOK system is pretty nice.  The ergonomics are good.  I would love to have a 10/22 Takedown for my kit!  Hopefully, Nancy Pelosi will be buying me one soon!

4 minutes ago, silent bob said:

Hopefully, Nancy Pelosi will be buying me one soon!

Fuck allz y'all that are getting the $600 check (on top of the $1200 check back in March).  I could use a new Glock or something.  It's discrimination, I tellz ya!

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Fuck allz y'all that are getting the $600 check (on top of the $1200 check back in March).  I could use a new Glock or something.  It's discrimination, I tellz ya!

The first $1200 went to magazines and furniture. Didn’t get any new steel.  

Now, with the $600, should I get a 10/22 Takedown, or a brick of .22?  Can’t afford both!  

10 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Although, the rimfire long distance precision competition discussion has been really enjoyable - and expensive.

I'm fascinated by all the math and prep that goes into it but not at all interested in trying it myself. I still like open sights, though as my eyesight deteriorates I'm starting to view scopes differently. Mostly because I have trouble viewing open sights at all.

Right now my only gun with a scope is the .17 HMR. It's a crappy scope on a low end gun and I really only put it on there because it looks funny.

8 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

I am not an NRL22 expert, but I did sleep....  Carbon is an insulator so the carbon barrel actually retains more heat than a steel barrel. 

MS

Two thoughts, even though you're already on the same page. First, lighter isn't necessarily better for NRL. Second, for me the joy of .22 is being able to lob a lot of rounds. I woul ld prefer steel to manage that heat. 

My rifle weighs something like 14½ lbs using the bathroom scale.  Super accurate measurement there. :lol:

A lot of guys add weights for nrl make it more stable.  Between the overall weight, and 9oz trigger, it ain't a field gun.

10 hours ago, Burning Man said:

I've shot a lot of Mark IVs and tbh, I'm not a fan.  It just doesn't fit right in my hand.  However, I loves me some Ruger SR-22.  :D

Try a Model 41.  Same geometry as a 1911, if you're a fan of the 1911.

Takes some expensive machining to fit a suppressor to though.  There's aftermarket barrels available, but you lose the rear sight, which I'm not interested in.  Everywhere seems sold out of the 5½" barrel currently.

2 hours ago, sshow bob said:
11 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

I am not an NRL22 expert, but I did sleep....  Carbon is an insulator so the carbon barrel actually retains more heat than a steel barrel. 

MS

Two thoughts, even though you're already on the same page. First, lighter isn't necessarily better for NRL. Second, for me the joy of .22 is being able to lob a lot of rounds. I woul ld prefer steel to manage that heat. 

Be interested know how the resin matrix holds up under a load of rounds and heat??  My guess is that the point of impact starts to wander around.

1 hour ago, Hatin' life said:

Try a Model 41.  Same geometry as a 1911, if you're a fan of the 1911.

Takes some expensive machining to fit a suppressor to though.  There's aftermarket barrels available, but you lose the rear sight, which I'm not interested in.  Everywhere seems sold out of the 5½" barrel currently.

I have a model 41 that was modified to accept a suppressor for $125.  The gunsmith drilled an aprox .5" diameter hole in about .5", crowned the rifling exit, tapped it with threads, and supplied a male threaded insert that you screw in and it leaves about .5" externally to attach the suppressor.  It's a pretty slick solution.  I know the 41 purists look at it as blasphemy, but it's my gun and it makes it more enjoyable to shoot.

14 hours ago, silent bob said:

The first $1200 went to magazines and furniture. Didn’t get any new steel.  

Now, with the $600, should I get a 10/22 Takedown, or a brick of .22?  Can’t afford both!  

I'd go for the brick.  No point in having another dogballs if you can't shoot it.  

6 hours ago, sshow bob said:

Thanks.  I'm going to go with the Steel.  

What ammo do you run?  Center-X is pricey.  I saw 4x 50rd boxes on the shelves yesterday for $15 each.  $.25 cents a round for .22 seems exorbitant.  But after looking online, I may go back and try to grab those up if they are not gone already.  Are there any other good match ammo brands you guys would recommend?  I've got tons of Aguila super and std velocity to use as training rounds (probably close to 10K), so I'm assuming I'll not be using the pricey stuff for plinking.  

My target 22^-2's all have very specific and unpredictable brand preferences. I keep a variety of expensive brands on hand in small quantities to try out and when I find what that particular new toy prefers, I stock up on it.

4 hours ago, Mikey Don’t Like Sh*t said:

I have a model 41 that was modified to accept a suppressor for $125.  The gunsmith drilled an aprox .5" diameter hole in about .5", crowned the rifling exit, tapped it with threads, and supplied a male threaded insert that you screw in and it leaves about .5" externally to attach the suppressor.  It's a pretty slick solution.  I know the 41 purists look at it as blasphemy, but it's my gun and it makes it more enjoyable to shoot.

I was quoted double that.  Which I thought was expensive.

My plan was to buy a new barrel and have that threaded.  41 fanboys/luddites are insane.

I have thought about buying another just so I can go whole hog on bastardizing it.  I hate blueing.  Cerakote is a much better option for me.

sConn_15_caLarge.jpg.a19b475bcba140aad86b317b4004993d.jpg

It is the specific lot not just the brand. Years ago at Camp Perry I picked up a case of Eley Black Box off of the number 4 machine at 1071 FPS. Shot great in my match rifle and in the bench gun. Four years later ,once again at Camp Perry, I found a different lot number of Eley Black box off of the number 4 machine at 1071 FPS so I bought three cases. Got home only to find out that I did not own a rifle that would shoot it.

4 minutes ago, Proneshooter said:

It is the specific lot not just the brand. Years ago at Camp Perry I picked up a case of Eley Black Box off of the number 4 machine at 1071 FPS. Shot great in my match rifle and in the bench gun. Four years later ,once again at Camp Perry, I found a different lot number of Eley Black box off of the number 4 machine at 1071 FPS so I bought three cases. Got home only to find out that I did not own a rifle that would shoot it.

You can send your action to Lapua and they'll run different lots through it to see what agrees with your action the most.

There's a video on YouTube somewhere showing the process.

59 minutes ago, Proneshooter said:

Yep. Lot matters, though getting the same machine can get you close. Eley replaced at least one machine in the last couple of years, so that complicates things.

I shoot CCI SV if its above 45 degrees and I don't really care. I've had a magic lot that was very consistent, and others that are just good enough. This is what I shoot if I am playing with the red dot, or just clanging steel for fun. Also what we shoot if I have friends over or am teaching my kids. I split 10k at a time with a friend. 

My rifle likes Tenex a lot. If I am shooting well, and the conditions are still, that's a single ragged hole at 100 yards all day. I buy it at $15 for 50 rounds from a bench rest guy who separates bricks from the same lot, and weighs the rounds to make ultra consistent sets of 50. He has some records. I don't shoot well enough for ammo that precise, but why not?

Absolutely the best performance is in the cold, shooting Polar Biathlon. It's consistent ammo and my rifle likes it. Sub-MOA at 300 in 20 degrees with that stuff, if it's still. In that dense air it feels like it takes 45 minutes for the round to go that far. 

For NRL, you don't need to be MOA or better, except maybe for the .25 target on the KYL rack. My scores aren't appreciably better with Tenex than with CCI SV. You're usually 3 or 4 MOA in NRL22. 

It was great when Eley and Lapua opened test centers here in the USA. Before that the actions would go to Europe for testing. I do my own testing from a return to battery bench setup shooting through a Mgalink electronic target. 1783911446_ScreenShot2020-12-24at6_25_14PM.thumb.png.841388dc1a5b211e185deebdf7906e9d.png

Ok I just got myself a boxing day present.  I ordered the Bergara steel barreled action and have 1000 rds of Lapua Center X on back order.  They were the best prices I could find at $11/ box of 50.  Still feels weird to pay that much for .22 ammo, but it is what it is. Some places on line were offering it for up to $19 per box of 50.  And they were sold out.  WTF?  

Now I need to get a 30 MOA base and eventually a .22 suppressor.  I'm looking forward to yet another addictive hobby.  Damn you all!  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
1 hour ago, Burning Man said:

Ok I just got myself a boxing day present.  I ordered the Bergara steel barreled action and have 1000 rds of Lapua Center X on back order....

Now I need to get a 30 MOA base and eventually a .22 suppressor.  I'm looking forward to yet another addictive hobby.  Damn you all!  :lol:

Yah forgot the $2k of optics, the $300 rings, and ....

Congratulations!

9 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Yah forgot the $2k of optics, the $300 rings, and ....

Congratulations!

fortunately, I already have the $2k optics and the expensive rings.  I'm moving them from a Rem 700 .308 that I don't shoot anymore.  I'm taking it's $800 stock too.  :lol:

• Downvote 1
46 minutes ago, sshow bob said:

To be fair, I did say it could be done with a 10/22...  man, I'm jealous of your rig! 

I have a plenty nice dogballs that I use to lure friends into it now.  One is scavenging parts to build a vudoo himself.

Another buddy put together a CZ457 for NRL.  He did pretty well at his first event.

12 hours ago, Burning Man said:

I ordered the Bergara steel barreled action and have 1000 rds of Lapua Center X on back order.  They were the best prices I could find at $11/ box of 50.  Still feels weird to pay that much for .22 ammo, but it is what it is. Some places on line were offering it for up to $19 per box of 50.  And they were sold out.  WTF? 

Hah! I haven't shopped for .22 ammo in a very long time and just rescued a bunch from a flood so won't need to for even longer. It's mostly CCI and Remington, with a few of those primer-only ones that my dad used to use to shoot squirrels. Now you've got me thinking I should sell some!

3 hours ago, Polytelum Tom said:

Just looking at it makes my hand hurt.

Yes, I get that, but an easily concealed piece for self, or family protection at close range??  What do you suggest as a better option???  

2 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Yes, I get that, but an easily concealed piece for self, or family protection at close range??  What do you suggest as a better option???  

Taking the gun out of their hand.  

1 minute ago, hasher said:

Taking the gun out of their hand.  

???  I am not going to purchase handgun yet, even though I have had a CCW permit for nearly ten years now...   

Just asking a serious question about an easily concealable, comfortable, small CCW for family protection, should the need ever arise....  

Just now, billy backstay said:

???  I am not going to purchase handgun yet, even though I have had a CCW permit for nearly ten years now...   

Just asking a serious question about an easily concealable, comfortable, small CCW for family protection, should the need ever arise....  

I get it.  The murder rate in Atlanta is travelling higher.  I know guns.  I couldn't live with myself if I failed to protect the ones I love.  A long barreled 357 let everyone know what might happen if they walked in uninvited. I carried it to my car every morning.

3 minutes ago, hasher said:

I get it.  The murder rate in Atlanta is travelling higher.  I know guns.  I couldn't live with myself if I failed to protect the ones I love.  A long barreled 357 let everyone know what might happen if they walked in uninvited. I carried it to my car every morning.

what make, and model do you prefer?