What's in your arsenal??

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have two Winchester Model 94's. These are part of my families history. The top one was my dads high school graduation present from 1948. It is a .32 Special. When i was young, he always promise

In wouldn't necessarily call myself a "placid" driver.  But I usually don't go out of my way to instigate confrontations either.  However, this one day on the way home from work on a fairly open fast

and some orthere stuffe to.                                    

Posted Images

Holy smokes. Went to buy target ammo for my 12 GA today. It’s been a while since I’ve been able to go shooting so I haven’t stocked up. I didn’t see a single box of normal target loads at the cabelas. What are people doing? Hoarding for some upcoming pigeon invasion?

3 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Holy smokes. Went to buy target ammo for my 12 GA today. It’s been a while since I’ve been able to go shooting so I haven’t stocked up. I didn’t see a single box of normal target loads at the cabelas. What are people doing? Hoarding for some upcoming pigeon invasion Zombie apocalypse?

Yes, and the fact that the 2 amendment allows for the right to bear arms but says nothing about ammo. Welcome to the new world order, you can own a gun but good luck getting any ammo.

• Like 2
On 1/29/2021 at 4:21 AM, Pedagogical Tom said:

For shooting mostly boating videos and for pictures beyond the usable range of my iPhone, and keeping the price down near or below the price of an ordinary .22, not the kinds discussed in this thread, what would be a good replacement?

I think that's $400-500??   Check out the links on Delos's camera page under "small cameras" because 2 of 3 are more water resistant. I think for you a good point and shoot with decent video capabilities is preferred.

The bigger ones are more $$ and more capable

https://svdelos.com/sailing-cameras/

Also check out dpreview.com for recommendations for photo and video cameras.

For both videos and pictures, micro 4/3 Panasonic are more video oriented and the Olympus m4/3 more stills oriented. Neither will fit within your budget once you buy a lens or two unless you buy a well used one a couple of generations old.

On 12/31/2020 at 8:50 PM, blunderfull said:

My personal favorites:

Ruger Bisley Vaquero .357 Mag    (2002)

C2ED2287-456F-43D0-B932-C0743402F8DF.jpeg

Got a brace of the same SS, 5.5" Bisley Vaqueros for my SASS Competition handguns.  They shoot to a natural point of aim in my Glock trained hands.

Love the Ivory grips. Who makes them?

7 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Got a brace of the same SS, 5.5" Bisley Vaqueros for my SASS Competition handguns.  They shoot to a natural point of aim in my Glock trained hands.

Bought at a SASS shop.  One of a pair - wish I had bought both.  Free floating cylinder & action so crazy light.  Pleasure to shoot.

Grips are the Ruger (IIRC) plastic.  Nice near-ivory look.

.357 Mag I really enjoy.  Super fun.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Zonker said:

I think that's $400-500??   Check out the links on Delos's camera page under "small cameras" because 2 of 3 are more water resistant. I think for you a good point and shoot with decent video capabilities is preferred.

The bigger ones are more $$ and more capable

https://svdelos.com/sailing-cameras/

Also check out dpreview.com for recommendations for photo and video cameras.

For both videos and pictures, micro 4/3 Panasonic are more video oriented and the Olympus m4/3 more stills oriented. Neither will fit within your budget once you buy a lens or two unless you buy a well used one a couple of generations old.

Thanks. Yes, that's the price range I had in mind. I don't mind some additional expense for a lens or two.

On 12/31/2020 at 5:50 PM, blunderfull said:

My personal favorites:

Ruger Bisley Vaquero .357 Mag    (2002)

C2ED2287-456F-43D0-B932-C0743402F8DF.jpeg

On 1/30/2021 at 4:48 PM, Charlie Foxtrot said:

On 1/31/2021 at 12:05 AM, blunderfull said:

Bought at a SASS shop.  One of a pair - wish I had bought both.  Free floating cylinder & action so crazy light.  Pleasure to shoot.

Grips are the Ruger (IIRC) plastic.  Nice near-ivory look.

.357 Mag I really enjoy.  Super fun.

I tried looking up where I could get one. they are hard to find.

2 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

I tried looking up where I could get one. they are hard to find.

The Ruger Bisleys are somewhat rare.  But worth the extra effort. 
image.png.492d16e290151c8b1798639846d8ce4e.png

There are two versions: The original, larger Old Model Vaqueros (OMV) and the Colt Single Action Army (aka Peacemaker) sized New Model Vaqueros.  The NMV is the current production, and is now known simply as the Vaquero. Both the OMV and NMV came in the Bisley variant, as well as the much more common, traditional "Plow-Handled" model. Both versions of the Vaquero are "Ruger Strong" (Hell for Stout.) It's considered a truism in Cowboy Action Shooting that no one has ever shot out a Vaquero, and no one is likely to live long enough to do that. 

I went with the slightly larger, heavier OMVs because they handled better in my outsized Prussian mitts.  Both were tuned by the world famous Jim Bowie of the Cowboys and Indian Store. They are my favorite handguns. And I ain't ever gonna give 'em up.

SASS has an active online forum for purchasing gear: https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/forum/14-sass-wire-classifieds/  Non-members are allowed to buy - all Federal and State laws must be strictly adhered to. 

On 1/29/2021 at 1:11 PM, Burning Man said:

What if I have an "extraordinary" .22?

Are you sure? This wound up in PA for some reason, but I don't see any political point to it.

9 hours ago, hasher said:

A centerfire .22 that shoots 1875 fps? That's a pretty extraordinary .22! I didn't check the price but I bet it costs more than I'd spend on a camera.

On 1/3/2021 at 6:26 PM, blunderfull said:

MK ll bolt:

One piece?

61D4613B-8740-46FC-9E08-919F7411154D.jpeg

I got my new MkIV Bolt.  Put in Volquartsen Firing Pin, Extractor, and Recoil Spring Kit.  Dropped right in.  It’s nice knowing that this gun will outlive me!  

5207038B-20B4-461B-8AFD-3F4E0C364156.jpeg

• Like 1
On 2/1/2021 at 1:45 PM, Charlie Foxtrot said:

The Ruger Bisleys are somewhat rare.  But worth the extra effort. 
image.png.492d16e290151c8b1798639846d8ce4e.png

There are two versions: The original, larger Old Model Vaqueros (OMV) and the Colt Single Action Army (aka Peacemaker) sized New Model Vaqueros.  The NMV is the current production, and is now known simply as the Vaquero. Both the OMV and NMV came in the Bisley variant, as well as the much more common, traditional "Plow-Handled" model. Both versions of the Vaquero are "Ruger Strong" (Hell for Stout.) It's considered a truism in Cowboy Action Shooting that no one has ever shot out a Vaquero, and no one is likely to live long enough to do that. 

I went with the slightly larger, heavier OMVs because they handled better in my outsized Prussian mitts.  Both were tuned by the world famous Jim Bowie of the Cowboys and Indian Store. They are my favorite handguns. And I ain't ever gonna give 'em up.

SASS has an active online forum for purchasing gear: https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/forum/14-sass-wire-classifieds/  Non-members are allowed to buy - all Federal and State laws must be strictly adhered to. 

Thanks for that. My son has completed an 80% it works great and looks great. I was around for some of the building but it was a short visit.

I was looking at another 80%, a 1911 that has either a 45 or a 9mm model.

How cool to get a kit for the revolver.

On 2/4/2021 at 5:23 PM, Hatin' life said:

Why the polar?  Where are you that is cold?

Find an NRL match yet?

Not cold here at all.  Just trying various ammo out to see what the gun likes and it was available online so I got some to try.  But the new stick does like the Lapula Polar Bi.  So I may have to get more.

I also just got a couple of bricks each of Lapua Center-X, Eley Tenex, Eley Biathalon, Eley Team and Eley Club.  So far it shoots the Team and Club well and those are both way cheaper than the real pricey stuff.  Both are in the $7-8/50 range.  The Bergara shoots the Eley Tenex and Lapua Polar Biathlon REALLY well - but both are Fracking expensive.  I haven't tried the center X or the Eley Biathlon yet..... but that's happening on Sunday or Monday.  Some other stuff I've shot had very mixed results.  It seems to like the Aguila Std vel stuff, which is good because I think I have 2x cases of that already.  And it absolutely shoots the Wolf Match like dog shit.  

My club does host NRL22 matches.  I've just been too busy to research it and get out and try it.  By the end of this month or latest in March is my plan to give it a try.

Stolen from the Random Picture thread.

Looking at the ammo, it seems to me (a scatter gun nutter who can't spell pistol or rifle), that those are huge rounds for a handgun.  Can the smart folks here provide some color as to this being normal or an outlier?

FB_IMG_1613156062507.jpg

The Ruger-57 is a semi-automatic pistol introduced in December 2019 by Sturm, Ruger & Co. It is the first traditionally-styled semi-automatic pistol to be chambered for the 5.7×28mm cartridge since the introduction of the Excel Arms MP-57 in 2012. Wikipedia

On 2/16/2021 at 7:59 PM, pbd said:

Looking at the ammo, it seems to me (a scatter gun nutter who can't spell pistol or rifle), that those are huge rounds for a handgun.  Can the smart folks here provide some color as to this being normal or an outlier?

FB_IMG_1613156062507.jpg

This will give it some frame of reference

22LR on the left, 22Mag in the middle, and 5.7 x 28 on the right

Micro-Pistol-7.jpg

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

On 2/17/2021 at 11:59 AM, pbd said

FB_IMG_1613156062507.jpg

This will give it some frame of reference

22LR on the left, 22Mag in the middle, and 5.7 x 28 on the right

Micro-Pistol-7.jpg

Similar dimensions but significant increase in energy (at least that's what the ever reliable Wikipedia source tells me.) but compared to bigger handgun rounds...

22LR

image.thumb.png.ac80606ccb907dc7038a7c5efb032100.png

5.7 x 28

image.thumb.png.79570adbe62ea7ba0e37835e741efa7e.png

.50 express

image.png.88721f09ae75ccdc081db1a1fe6435a4.png  

On 2/16/2021 at 4:59 PM, pbd said:

FB_IMG_1613156062507.jpg

Spoke with a buddy (retired LE/ 3 gun comp competitor):

’...meh, too light.   IF I had to shoot someone I’d want a rifle caliber.   Marketing noise.’

On 2/23/2021 at 6:30 PM, blunderfull said:

Spoke with a buddy (retired LE/ 3 gun comp competitor):

’...meh, too light.   IF I had to shoot someone I’d want a rifle caliber.   Marketing noise.’

It certainly depends on what you are trying to do with it.  If you need to penetrate body armor it is the cats meow.  And the cyclic rate is off the hook on the original gun this round was designed around and one of the coolest and/or weirdest looking guns of all time - the FN P90. 50 Round helical fed double stack magazine and they run like a sewing machine on full auto.

P90--.png

MS

1 hour ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

It certainly depends on what you are trying to do with it.  If you need to penetrate body armor it is the cats meow.  And the cyclic rate is off the hook on the original gun this round was designed around and one of the coolest and/or weirdest looking guns of all time - the FN P90. 50 Round helical fed double stack magazine and they run like a sewing machine on full auto.

P90--.png

MS

Yes indeed.

13 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

P90--.png

MS

Awesome piece of kit!!   Figures it's from FN in Belgium, they are the best of the best!  I cherish Grandpas Belgium Browning shottie many years old, now.  Haven't used it in years, and it would have some collector value, I have been told, except that he added an adjustable choke for different size shot for different birds.....

On 2/28/2021 at 5:20 PM, Mr. Squirrel said:

P90--.png

MS

14 hours ago, silent bob said:

Installed a Mesa Tactical Picatinny Rail and Side Saddle on the 870, and mounted a Crimson Trace red dot sight on it.  I might shed a tear when it slides out the open transom of the boat!  

D3822F23-33A1-4B12-9892-A4088C3EEBC6.jpeg

DEEF9DA5-AD5A-4CE3-8D66-D15F020912C2.jpeg

Niiiiiicely done!

What do you think of the Magpul stock?  I'm considering the Maggy X-22 Hunter for my 10/22.  Although --  the ~$170 tariff (stock, cheek pieces, shipping, tax) makes my Scot soul cringe.

While I have you on the line... You like the Crimson Trace Red Dot?  Haven't gotten behind one, but CT has gotten into optics in big, damn hurry. Their scopes are getting a lot of media attention. 

2 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Niiiiiicely done!

What do you think of the Magpul stock?  I'm considering the Maggy X-22 Hunter for my 10/22.  Although --  the ~$170 tariff (stock, cheek pieces, shipping, tax) makes my Scot soul cringe.

While I have you on the line... You like the Crimson Trace Red Dot?  Haven't gotten behind one, but CT has gotten into optics in big, damn hurry. Their scopes are getting a lot of media attention. 

I haven't had a chance to shoot it, yet!  It's great quality.  The ability to customize it is nice!  The forearm came with a wrench to change it out, a $30+ option for other brands.  The wrench made the change totally painless.  The crown nut took a bit of grunt to loosen.  Not cheap, but i think their gear is worth the price.  The stock is not light, probably the same weight as the wood OEM stock.  I think this is good for recoil control.

As for the Crimson Trace, I think a got a discontinued model, the CTS-103.  It's a 1x, 4 MOA.  Switchable between Red and Green dots, with a few levels of brightness.  Midway had it for half off, paid $65 from it's original price of $130.  I've read a lot of mixed reviews on it, with some of the main complaints being a short battery life, and the other of the dot being a blur.  With my glasses on, mine seems pretty crisp.  I figured for $65, I don't have a lot to loose.  It seems really easy to find the dot and aim.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Shambolic Tom said:

Adjustable stocks on 10-22's are naughty. Make sure your boat has an open transom and save the non-scary version, just in case...

This is not the type of adjustable stock that they’re worried about.  It comes with several shims that can be placed between the butt pad and stock to adjust the Length of Pull, the distance between the butt pad and the trigger.  You have to remove a screw in the stock, remove the butt pad, insert or remove shims, insert the butt pad, and then insert and tighten the screw.  It is not a push button adjustable stock.  One of their other concerns is a rifle with a overall length of at least 26”.  With a 18” barrel, you will have no problems with Magpul stock with no shims installed!  

A2E92363-F305-4066-ACAE-652D3DED5D4D.png

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Shambolic Tom said:

Adjustable stocks on 10-22's are naughty. Make sure your boat has an open transom and save the non-scary version, just in case...

Where are adjustable stocks on 10-22 naughty?  Certainly not here in the Gunshine State.  Even SlowJoe and Beta O'Rourke haven't proposed banning adjustable stocks... as far as I've heard.

Maybe in the Granny-KIller State? 

22 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

What didde you do Natiure Boye...........    ?

Naw,  Snaggs... I'm in the Floriduh Gunshine State. Never kilt nuthin' but bunny-rats. Gnu Yawk is where Other Fredo kills seniors for fun and profit. 

2 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Where are adjustable stocks on 10-22 naughty?  Certainly not here in the Gunshine State.  Even SlowJoe and Beta O'Rourke haven't proposed banning adjustable stocks... as far as I've heard.

Maybe in the Granny-KIller State? 

Beto definitely did, as a cosponsor on this bill. From the list of exemptions:

“Ruger 10/22 Autoloading Carbine (w/o folding stock)

Put an adjustable stock on one and it's a naughty assault weapon. But they do sink if accidentally dropped overboard.

9 hours ago, Shambolic Tom said:

Beto definitely did, as a cosponsor on this bill. From the list of exemptions:

Put an adjustable stock on one and it's a naughty assault weapon. But they do sink if accidentally dropped overboard.

<sigh> Thanks.  Should have figured that industrious idiot soy-boy would figure a way to besmirch even the 10-22.  Because a SCARY folding stock.  Akin to an adjustable seat in a car. 

Not even a fully automatic, power, folding stock. 

Word is the maroons in Tallahassee are working on a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary State Declaration for Florida.  So you can keep you naughty 10-22s below deck. 

On 2/28/2021 at 5:20 PM, Mr. Squirrel said:

P90--.png

MS

I shot one at a rifle training course once.  Was unimpressed.  

On 3/10/2021 at 7:23 AM, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Should have figured that industrious idiot soy-boy would figure a way to besmirch even the 10-22.  Because a SCARY folding stock.  Akin to an adjustable seat in a car. 

He really shouldn't be singled out. He was among hundreds of cosponsors in the House and the Senate version has a distinguished list of heavy hitters, including Vice President Harris. His is a mainstream position when it comes to scary stocks on 10-22's.

A while back a friend that collects full autos brought a few out with his Class 3 gunsmith and several cases of ammo for several of my students to shoot. The limits were darkness and running out of ammo. A great afternoon at the range. My favorite was the M3 Carbine. FA24.thumb.jpg.15870b876db7d7dd344d86e7403fb873.jpg

• Like 2
On 3/9/2021 at 12:13 PM, silent bob said:

This is not the type of adjustable stock that they’re worried about.  It comes with several shims that can be placed between the butt pad and stock to adjust the Length of Pull, the distance between the butt pad and the trigger.  You have to remove a screw in the stock, remove the butt pad, insert or remove shims, insert the butt pad, and then insert and tighten the screw.  It is not a push button adjustable stock.  One of their other concerns is a rifle with a overall length of at least 26”.  With a 18” barrel, you will have no problems with Magpul stock with no shims installed!  

A2E92363-F305-4066-ACAE-652D3DED5D4D.png

The  term  ‘folding,  telescoping,  or  detachable  stock’  means  a  stock  that  folds,  telescopes,  detaches  or  otherwise operates to reduce the length, size, or any other dimension,  or  otherwise  enhances  the  concealability,  of  a  firearm.

Shims "otherwise operate to reduce the length, size, or any other dimension" don't they?

7 hours ago, Shambolic Tom said:

Shims "otherwise operate to reduce the length, size, or any other dimension" don't they?

The removal of the shims doesn’t happen immediately, and doesn’t make the rifle less than the 26” OAL that would “enhance the concealability”. 

On 3/16/2021 at 8:48 AM, Proneshooter said:

A while back a friend that collects full autos brought a few out with his Class 3 gunsmith and several cases of ammo for several of my students to shoot. The limits were darkness and running out of ammo. A great afternoon at the range. My favorite was the M3 Carbine. FA24.thumb.jpg.15870b876db7d7dd344d86e7403fb873.jpg

Some VERY nice iron there.  From LtoR (Help a brudder out!): MAS 56?, M-1 Carbine, No Fricken Idea suppressed 45 ACP?, M3 Grease Gun, Uzi, and last, but definitely not least: the "Schmisser" MP-40.   

• Like 1
On 3/16/2021 at 8:48 AM, Proneshooter said:

Some VERY nice iron there.  From LtoR (You helped a brudder out!): MAS 56? Springfield M1A, M-1 M2 Carbine, No Fricken Idea suppressed 45 ACP? a Reising M50 (learn sumthin' every day!), M3 Grease Gun, Uzi bullet hose, and last, but definitely not least: the "Schmisser" MP-40.   

Very, very envious of your range trip, Proneshooter!

On 3/19/2021 at 3:27 AM, Proneshooter said:

Reising M50 and not in the picture an M1A.

Isn't the M1A in the far left of the pic at the edge of the table?

20 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

I'm gonna get to shoot an AR15 soon. I've shot many different hand and rifles but never a so called Assault Weapon.

Strictly a target shoot

You will like it. I have a couple of them in 9mm and 300 Blackout. They have become my range favorites.

The AR15 is only an "Assault Rifle" to the gun grabbers. To me the AR15 is just a well designed firearm. Reliable, accurate, low recoil,  spare parts widely available.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

I'm gonna get to shoot an AR15 soon. I've shot many different hand and rifles but never a so called Assault Weapon.

Strictly a target shoot

2 hours ago, F_L said:

You will like it. I have a couple of them in 9mm and 300 Blackout. They have become my range favorites.

The AR15 is only an "Assault Rifle" to the gun grabbers. To me the AR15 is just a well designed firearm. Reliable, accurate, low recoil,  spare parts widely available.

Cool, these are the 80% build my son and I did while I was last out there. He finally put them together and shot his. He said mine was still virgin. I'll be leaving it out in AZ as bringing it to Kali would open a can of worms for me.

I'll try to get some pics.

8 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Cool, these are the 80% build my son and I did while I was last out there. He finally put them together and shot his. He said mine was still virgin. I'll be leaving it out in AZ as bringing it to Kali would open a can of worms for me.

I'll try to get some pics.

Sounds like a great trip. Have a blast and get us some pics.

I have had a 80% lower for about 6 months with no plans for it. It was just a future fun project. The idea of having a scary "ghost" gun is appealing but I may have waited to long. Parts prices are sky high if available. I'll just sit on it for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

My newest addition.   The handle was in my grandfather’s basement in my early memories.  As a teenager I shot bottlerockets from it.   It could be original or a Vietnam era Japanese replica.   It always looked old to me,   It was darker in my memories (in WW I they were blackened for night fighting).    They had a reputation for breaking blades compared to their replacement, the K bar.   I never saw the sheath.   There’s a slight flattening and rough file marks on the hand guard.   This area was often ground down by WW II GIs issued WW I surplus knives and may be a half hearted field modification for convenient sheathing.   I found a pommel nut replica (Au Lion style) on eBay, somebody had a small lot machined while replacing his own missing nut.    A smith in Oregon just made the blade to match.   The handle’s value probably didn’t increase by my spending, I just wanted to complete it.  

52A1A572-14B7-4886-BD81-A6753BC88992.jpeg

9796C9CF-A29B-4EA3-B21A-C01381E48B44.jpeg

62888D10-8863-4176-9ED6-F4C4BC0CA4DC.jpeg

11 hours ago, Lark said:

My newest addition.   The handle was in my grandfather’s basement in my early memories.  As a teenager I shot bottlerockets from it.   It could be original or a Vietnam era Japanese replica.   It always looked old to me,   It was darker in my memories (in WW I they were blackened for night fighting).    They had a reputation for breaking blades compared to their replacement, the K bar.   I never saw the sheath.   There’s a slight flattening and rough file marks on the hand guard.   This area was often ground down by WW II GIs issued WW I surplus knives and may be a half hearted field modification for convenient sheathing.   I found a pommel nut replica (Au Lion style) on eBay, somebody had a small lot machined while replacing his own missing nut.    A smith in Oregon just made the blade to match.   The handle’s value probably didn’t increase by my spending, I just wanted to complete it.  

52A1A572-14B7-4886-BD81-A6753BC88992.jpeg

What's the purpose of the point on the opposite end from the blade??

14 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Thanks!  Could also double as a glass smasher to escape a wrecked care with non-working doors.....

I’ve had an officer ask me more then once if I had anything in my vehicle he might hurt himself on.    That window breaker might lead me down the probable cause pathway and require boat money be diverted to lawyer money.   

By the way, I’ve learned answering his question with the question “How clumsy are you?” doesn’t lighten the atmosphere.   I used to travel for work when younger and would catch the eye of rural sheriffs looking for re-election cred.

1 hour ago, Lark said:

By the way, I’ve learned answering his question with the question “How clumsy are you?” doesn’t lighten the atmosphere.   I used to travel for work when younger and would catch the eye of rural sheriffs looking for re-election cred.

Not a good idea to mouth off to any law officer, especially a State Trooper!  I got 4 speeding tickets in a period of 2 or 3 years.  They all got a knolle, in court, because the don't prosecute, unless you are 13 mph over the limit or more.  So I always keep it no higher than 77, the limit plus 12, monitored with iPhone Speedo app.   The 2nd or 3rd time I got pulled over, I thought it was the same cop as last time, so I said, " Is that you again, officer Smiegel?".   Don't recall if it was him, or another guy, but it pissed him off enough to look around to find other stuff to write me up for.  So in addition to speeding, he knicked me for no front license plate.  Sent it in not guilty, and went to court with a photo of car with front plate on it, and was dismissed.  Good thing the Court House is only a 10 minute drive from work!  ;)

2 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Not a good idea to mouth off to any law officer, especially a State Trooper!  I got 4 speeding tickets in a period of 2 or 3 years.  They all got a knolle, in court, because the don't prosecute, unless you are 13 mph over the limit or more.  So I always keep it no higher than 77, the limit plus 12, monitored with iPhone Speedo app.   The 2nd or 3rd time I got pulled over, I thought it was the same cop as last time, so I said, " Is that you again, officer Smiegel?".   Don't recall if it was him, or another guy, but it pissed him off enough to look around to find other stuff to write me up for.  So in addition to speeding, he knicked me for no front license plate.  Sent it in not guilty, and went to court with a photo of car with front plate on it, and was dismissed.  Good thing the Court House is only a 10 minute drive from work!  ;)

In Indiana 15 got you defensive driving school.   I got mine for three tickets in 2 years.    They issue for five over, who has time to drive half a day to fight a ticket?    Driving the speed limit late at night also reliably gets you pulled over, on suspicion of DUI.    You can’t win.

Holmes co Ohio pulled me over with a pick up from another county as backup.   The first one followed me 12 miles down three rural highways.    When they pulled me over they wanted to know why I was driving erratically.    I told him I was making sure I came to a complete stop for every sign and obeyed every “curve, 35 mph” so he wouldn’t write me a ticket on those twisty roads.   That started the “what are you doing over here?    What’s in those cases? (explorer sport with back seats flat as a visible cargo bed).   Why do you have a 2 way radio? (Chicago traffic jams before crowd sourced driving apps were invented and weather radio before smart phones were common).  Why do you need a class II hitch? (boats and bike rack).   When did you last have a drink (it was 0800), etc, etc.

Wisconsin was better.   The last thing a business traveler with family expenses (expensive future ex) wants is for his truck to be seized on suspicion of being a drug smuggler.   Having ones contents spread out all over the side of the road blowing around in the wind after a probable cause search wouldn’t have been much better.   The problem disappeared as the vehicle and driver got older.  A dark tan must have made me look like a Colombian or terrorist or something through the window.   Imagine those cops if I was black.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 8:11 AM, F_L said:

I finally got back Monday and extracted a pic from a bad video. I thought I was taking a video when we were shooting the AR but I had it in Picture mode. Soo here is a shot of me with my son's sig and a holder, whatever it is called. I'm really not sure what the purpose of this thing is as it just makes a pistol bigger.

The AR was fun. we shot a total of about 250 rnds between all the firearms and yes I was actually hitting the target. Though without the use of my legs for trunk stability, I was constantly a bit high to the left. I hit the target the most with the AR.

I really liked the ear muffs. They let you hear the conversation while muffling the sound of the discharge. I have never worn this type before.

1522071350_sigholder.thumb.jpg.e71576fd5c5071d3bd0363d9be69fea7.jpg

• Like 4

The ones that I should have bought but passed on:

Most people I know who are fans and have one/two are quite happy with them.  Straight shooters and HK quality.   Those who don’t usually prefer a .45ACP piece. Snobs!   You know who you are!

Prices off the chart still.   Ouch.

3 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

Yipes.

RARE HECKLER & KOCH P7M8 JUBILEE UNFIRED, 1 0F 500 MADE, ANIB for sale now marked down to only 7 boat bucks.

Wholly carp!

A friend has a P7 - a very nice, historical, collector's piece. Interesting, but... it's a single stack in a world that's gone double stack for the additional round count. It has the clumsy mag release on the heel, demonstrably inferior to the much more accepted mag release button below the trigger guard. Plus, everyone seems to be going to red dot optics, which couldn't/ shouldn't be done to that collector's item. Time has passed the HK P7 by.  

I'm not convinced red dots are useful for a CCW self-defense pistol, but I'm becoming a voice in the wilderness. 

Thanks, Tom.  Nice find!

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:
4 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

Yipes.

RARE HECKLER & KOCH P7M8 JUBILEE UNFIRED, 1 0F 500 MADE, ANIB for sale now marked down to only 7 boat bucks.

Wholly carp!

A friend has a P7 - a very nice, historical, collector's piece. Interesting, but... it's a single stack in a world that's gone double stack for the additional round count. It has the clumsy mag release on the heel, demonstrably inferior to the much more accepted mag release button below the trigger guard. Plus, everyone seems to be going to red dot optics, which couldn't/ shouldn't be done to that collector's item. Time has passed the HK P7 by.  

I'm not convinced red dots are useful for a CCW self-defense pistol, but I'm becoming a voice in the wilderness. 

Thanks, Tom.  Nice find!

:o:o

Price: NOW $6999.99!!! WAS $8000.00

1 hour ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Wholly carp!

Thanks, Tom.  Nice find!

Agreed on the red dot for carry. Should be focused on the threat and your surroundings. Not fixated on the twitching red dot.