What's in your arsenal??

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have two Winchester Model 94's. These are part of my families history. The top one was my dads high school graduation present from 1948. It is a .32 Special. When i was young, he always promise

In wouldn't necessarily call myself a "placid" driver.  But I usually don't go out of my way to instigate confrontations either.  However, this one day on the way home from work on a fairly open fast

and some orthere stuffe to.                                    

Posted Images

Enuf talk about pea shooters.  Got me a 5' long, 2-1/2" bore cannon.   Made in 1892, a replica of a Spanish cannon from the 1400's.  It does not look like any cannon you ever saw before. Specifically described being fired in the book, "Devil in the White City."

1910 Remington 12A in Dogballs, Ruger 10/Dogballs, CZ 455 Dogballs
CZ Scorpion, Sig P365, Sig P320 XCarry, G19 G3, and Shield 2.0 in 9mm.
Shield EZ in .380 for the wifey
Thompson Contender in .223 and 45-410
FN-FAL in 7.62x51
Browning BPS Trap 12 ga 

Apparently Mrs Squirrel's dad is leaving her a couple of Ruger Blackhawks and/or Redhawks.  I havent seen them recently, but I hear he has them in .357, .41, and .44.  I want the .41  :)

MS

Can I list the ones I don't have instead?

Firearms, quality ones with verified provenance are, in my opinion, one of the few investments you can make, that will most likely never depreciate in value.

18 hours ago, Derek Grebe said:

An Aguirre y Aranzabal (Spanish) side-by-side 12

Lovely.  AYA, like my 20s.  The poor man's Purdey, at 1/10th of the price and bloody nearly as good, especially if you can get it tailored.

1 hour ago, P_Wop said:

Lovely.  AYA, like my 20s.  The poor man's Purdey, at 1/10th of the price and bloody nearly as good, especially if you can get it tailored.

it is indeed.

My favourite 'weapons' experience was spending 5 hours on a cold January day punting a 19th Century Punt Gun on a river on the East Anglian coast, and getting the opportunity to fire the home-made punt gun - aged 11.

a beast.

Not this one, but VERY similar.

The 'home made' element included a set of old motorcycle shocks in the mount,so as not to rattle the boat into matchwood.

punt-boat.jpg.911f9585811dda8975a437b1ab792190.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:
21 hours ago, billy backstay said:

So, if I put shatter-proof, bullet proof glass in my display case, does that qualify as a "gun-safe"?

Depends whether you got it from Elon Musk.

Mabey roome fiore inproovemente...........                         :)

23 hours ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Enuf talk about pea shooters.  Got me a 5' long, 2-1/2" bore cannon.   Made in 1892, a replica of a Spanish cannon from the 1400's.  It does not look like any cannon you ever saw before. Specifically described being fired in the book, "Devil in the White City."

Pic -

cannon.jpg

9 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Thissis howe I pictiurre SoakED, juste swinggeng withe the Pollish Prisillas.                       :)

Replace Elvis' unruly dark mop with short silver hair and I think you are spot on.  ;)

ASrs.jpg

• Like 1

Mainsheet Sis & Foxtrot; re/ century old gunz

I had been thinking about the "old steel" thing,  so I touched base with someone who is current on Non Destructive Inspection, 

, and he confirmed my thoughts.

Dye Penetrant  will find cracks , but you need to be able to see the area.

X-ray, of course.

Simpler and overall less "mind-stress" to get the new reproduction,,

On 11/26/2019 at 8:00 PM, Derek Grebe said:

My favourite 'weapons' experience was spending 5 hours on a cold January day punting a 19th Century Punt Gun on a river on the East Anglian coast, and getting the opportunity to fire the home-made punt gun - aged 11.

a beast.

B)  I am still jealous about that,,

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Mike in Seattle said:

I had been thinking about the "old steel" thing,  so I touched base with someone who is current on Non Destructive Inspection, 

X-ray, of course.

My father passed away 10 years ago and yesterday we found an old shotgun of his under a spare bed at my mothers house. I kind of remember him getting it from a brother many years ago. It's a Remy Model 1889 side by side. It's a bit rough but neat piece. The bore isn't terrible and mechanically it seems to be fine. But it will be a wall hanger like Billies .I wouldn't even consider shooting it. I have other shotguns available for that.

Damn. Forgot I lost those shotguns in the boating accident.

On 11/26/2019 at 9:41 AM, billy backstay said:

So, if I put shatter-proof, bullet proof glass in my display case, does that qualify as a "gun-safe"?

Okay, serious question?  I think that technically this would not make it a "legal" Gun Safe.  OTOH, we live in a very safe, rural, wooded area of SE CT, where many people don't lock their homes, unless they are leaving town on vacation, and many even leave their keys in the car.  Yes, with a bulletproof glass front, they would have to bust of the wood cabinet up to get the gunz, but they were kept like this at our previous home of 30 years, with no problems whatsoever.  I would never choose to live in a place where crime is so rampant that I can't have my tiny arsenal displayed in our living space.   I used to know how to post pics here, but can no longer figure it out, or I would post it in this thread.  Thanks !!!

EDIT... Maybe this??

image.thumb.png.7514356630215b16fa9c4bd9e574de9d.png

On 11/26/2019 at 7:31 AM, mad said:

I don't understand why that isn't vigorously enforced across the old of the US.

Because a whole lot of the US has fuck all in it, and in a lot of places you get buried in the hillside for B&E and the sheriff never gets a call, but he might hold the flashlight for you.

Go on YouTube and watch guys pop open most safes.  They're slightly more difficult than a wooden cabinet.  Two guys and a couple of big pry bars make pretty short work of it.

I wouldn't list anything I allegedly owned on the internet either.

• Like 1

Harden the glass, upgrade the lock, maybe install an alarm? A decent alarm is cheaper than a safe.

I live in a "safe" neighborhood. Not quite rural but for 25 yrs the only other visible house is right across the street. I have a few firearms and as mentioned somewhere up thread, thought about my family interrupting a smash n grab,  bad guy armed with one of my firearms. I bought a  cheap safe ($400?). It won't stop a profession, but neither will an expensive safe if the pro has the right tools. Later I added an alarm. I opted to monitor the alarm myself. The alarm sends me a text if tripped. I figure I can call the police as easily as a monitor service. The alarm was around $300, monthly fee $2-3 for a Tmobile sim card for the alarm.

In the State of Washington , initiative I-1639 was passed last year. Among other things, it addresses storage. If your firearms can be accesed by someone ineligible to own or handle a firearm and used in a crime, then you could be liable for penalties.  BUT, if someone illegally enters  your home, steals your firearms and commits a crime, then you report the theft within 5 days, you are exempt from charges. This is how my state handles it. I too originally had a wood case with the glass in front. It was cheap and had week locks. There was a deal going on at Costco with safes that fit my need and price range. The State of Washington was also waiving the sales tax. Your state laws probably vary.

Here is my states AGs explanations of the storage part of the law:

Does Initiative 1639 require that I keep my firearm in secure storage?

No. The new law doesn’t directly require that a firearm be stored in a particular place or in a particular way.

But if your firearm is not in secure storage, and you knew or reasonably should have known that the firearm could be accessed by someone who is prohibited from possessing a firearm, such as a child, under some circumstances you may be charged with a crime.

Effective July 1, 2019, a person who fails to securely store a firearm could be charged with a felony if a person who is legally ineligible to possess a firearm uses it to injure or kill themselves or someone else.

Effective July 1, 2019, a person who fails to securely store a firearm could be charged with a gross misdemeanor if a prohibited person discharges it and uses the firearm:

1. In a way that shows intent to intimidate someone or that warrants alarm for the safety of others, or
  2. In the commission of a crime.

The new safe storage requirements are not violated:

1. If the firearm was in secure gun storage or was secured with a trigger lock or similar device; or
  2. If the person is ineligible to possess because of age but the access is with parental permission and under adult supervision; or
  3. In cases of self-defense; or
  4. If the person who is ineligible to possess the firearm:
    • Obtains it through unlawful entry, and
    • The unauthorized access or theft is reported to law enforcement within five days of the time the owner knew or should have known that the firearm had been taken.
10 hours ago, Great White said:

BUT, if someone illegally enters  your home, steals your firearms and commits a crime, then you report the theft within 5 days, you are exempt from charges. ted from

When I took the class to qualify for a CCW permit some years ago, the instructor at the range said to make sure that we all registered the serial numbers of all of our firearms with  the local and/or state police, in case they were ever stolen.  When I offered this info to the local and State Police, they were not interested in my providing the info, and blew me off..

On 11/29/2019 at 4:05 PM, Mike in Seattle said:

X-ray, of course.

Amen, Sirrah.  Don't think the Clan's ancestors would let me sleep if I harmed their heritage firearms.  Too much of their souls in them.

Another centerpiece of the Clan's collection is a shitty old H&R .32 revolver that has never seen better days. But, it was in my Grandfather's hand when he faced down the Communists trying to take over his Auto Mechanics Union by force during the black days of the Great Depression.  

How was deer season this year?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Anybody here with any views or thoughts on Benelli shotties? Toying with the idea of getting something a little more practical than fancy wood furniture and engraving. 

1 hour ago, mad said:

Anybody here with any views or thoughts on Benelli shotties? Toying with the idea of getting something a little more practical than fancy wood furniture and engraving. 

Jr. has used and seriously abused a Benelli Super Nova for the last 7 or so years and loves it...primarily duck and turkey hunting, but that nasty heathen has been known to take that club to a dove hunt despite me giving him a beautiful Browning over/under as a graduation present...fucker calls it his "meat stick"...he's a pretty stout "boy" so weight is not an issue (makes the o/u look like a twig in his arms) and he's real comfortable with the pump action... has had no problems with it in the mud and or dust that he plays in around Mississippi...guess you could call that a "Yes" vote...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mad said:

This fall, I bought a Benelli pump-gun for my son for Skeet - it's a much nicer shotgun than either my Remington or my Winchester. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Grabbler said:

Jr. has used and seriously abused a Benelli Super Nova for the last 7 or so years and loves it...primarily duck and turkey hunting, but that nasty heathen has been known to take that club to a dove hunt despite me giving him a beautiful Browning over/under as a graduation present...fucker calls it his "meat stick"...he's a pretty stout "boy" so weight is not an issue (makes the o/u look like a twig in his arms) and he's real comfortable with the pump action... has had no problems with it in the mud and or dust that he plays in around Mississippi...guess you could call that a "Yes" vote...

5 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

This fall, I bought a Benelli pump-gun for my son for Skeet - it's a much nicer shotgun than either my Remington or my Winchester. 

Thanks, I’m actually looking at the M2 semi-auto. Figured if I was going to get something different, I might as well go to the far extreme of different.  
I might look at a pump as well now you both mentioned it. 

2 hours ago, mad said:

I bought one of the original Benelli Super Black Eagle wooden stock 12 gauges back in 1994 when they first showed up. They were imported by H&K back then and nobody had ever heard of them. One of the best parts of that gun was the ability to change the drop and side cast with shims that were supplied with a gun.   Fitting a shotgun to your own personal dimensions is crucial to being a good shot. I've put many thousand rounds through that gun from Dove and target loads to 3 1/2 inch BBB steel for geese over the last 25 years and it's never let me down. 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Dorado said:

I bought one of the original Benelli Super Black Eagle wooden stock 12 gauges back in 1994 when they first showed up. They were imported by H&K back then and nobody had ever heard of them. One of the best parts of that gun was the ability to change the drop and side cast with shims that were supplied with a gun.   Fitting a shotgun to your own personal dimensions is crucial to being a good shot. I've put many thousand rounds through that gun from Dove and target loads to 3 1/2 inch BBB steel for geese over the last 25 years and it's never let me down. 

How does your shoulder feel after 3 1/2 cartridges?  Not sure I’ll ever need to go over 3 inch cartridges, or want to £££

11 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Those Benellis sure are pretty!!  But, according to the Benelli US website, they start at 2 grand, except for a cheap looking camouflage one for 560!!!

A new M2 for £1445.00 or the relaunched Super 90 M1 for £1045.00

https://www.gmk.co.uk/browse/benelli/shotguns/semi-auto

4 hours ago, mad said:

Lots of guys swear by them. What are you thinking pump, semi, over under? 

3 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Lots of guys swear by them. What are you thinking pump, semi, over under? 

Semi auto, with inertia system and no wood.  A real use in any weather, don’t care if it gets wet and chuck big steel loads through it.  Basically the complete opposite of what I already have. 

3 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Those Benellis sure are pretty!!  But, according to the Benelli US website, they start at 2 grand, except for a cheap looking camouflage one for 560!!!

Yep!...Jr's meatstick is the "cheap looking camouflage one"...he's thrown hundreds of rounds through it in seven years filling the freezer, and put a metric shit ton of pretty looking shotguns to shame on the dove field and skeet range...function over form...

1 hour ago, Grabbler said:

Yep!...Jr's meatstick is the "cheap looking camouflage one"...he's thrown hundreds of rounds through it in seven years filling the freezer, and put a metric shit ton of pretty looking shotguns to shame on the dove field and skeet range...function over form...

I have always been in favor of that!!!!

EDIT..  I have never been a hunter, other than fishing for bluefish or striped bass, but we have a 125 acre woodland near us that has been in the family since 1950.  Most of my cousins who are co-owners don't want hunters out there killing "Bambi".  Even though some of their husbands are hunters.  I don't think I want to deal with the butchering, but if cousin wants to throw me a deer tenderloin, I will be very grateful, should they ever change their minds....

9 hours ago, mad said:

The M2 is a nice shot gun for not a ton of money.

5 hours ago, mad said:

Semi auto, with inertia system and no wood.  A real use in any weather, don’t care if it gets wet and chuck big steel loads through it.  Basically the complete opposite of what I already have. 

Take a look at the Remington Versa Max. It’s 2/3rd the price and will cycle anything. A guy I shoot clays with swears by them, he hunts waterfowl pretty much 5 days a week in season, cleans his gun rarely. It’s a gas gun but it is adjustable for different loads and doesn’t get gunked up like the old 1100s  

But the bennelli is a good gun as well. The M2 won’t do you wrong. Lots of guys I know shoot the Super Black Eagle for waterfowl. 

8 hours ago, mad said:

How does your shoulder feel after 3 1/2 cartridges?  Not sure I’ll ever need to go over 3 inch cartridges, or want to £££

Shoulder feels fine, never bothered me at all. My mind was focused on the target and didn't pay any attention to the recoil But large steel shot in a 3 1/2 shell never patterns worth a damn so I quit using them a long time ago. 3" rounds do the job just fine if you can shoot. I don't really hunt very much anymore.

• Like 1

Just remembered...If you go shooting with Charlie Foxtrot and he offers to let you shoot the pistol with the hair trigger, make sure no one has a camera out...:o:ph34r:

But then without that trip to the range, I wouldn't be where I am today...B)

Sadly all my guns were lost in a tragic yachting accident. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, mad said:

I've got one and like it. The inertia system is dead simple and easy to clean. It's got a little more kick than my Win or Browning but is manageable. A hell of a lot less kick than my .308, that's for sure. That thing will push me back a little in the prone position.

11 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I have always been in favor of that!!!!

EDIT..  I have never been a hunter, other than fishing for bluefish or striped bass, but we have a 125 acre woodland near us that has been in the family since 1950.  Most of my cousins who are co-owners don't want hunters out there killing "Bambi".  Even though some of their husbands are hunters.  I don't think I want to deal with the butchering, but if cousin wants to throw me a deer tenderloin, I will be very grateful, should they ever change their minds....

Maybe just one or two hunters to keep Bambi in check, with a strict agreement that you get the first one of each season for the family freezer......after it’s been processed. ;)

As Grabbler says.  This is definitely going to be a function over form purchase. 

9 hours ago, chinabald said:

Take a look at the Remington Versa Max. It’s 2/3rd the price and will cycle anything. A guy I shoot clays with swears by them, he hunts waterfowl pretty much 5 days a week in season, cleans his gun rarely. It’s a gas gun but it is adjustable for different loads and doesn’t get gunked up like the old 1100s  

But the bennelli is a good gun as well. The M2 won’t do you wrong. Lots of guys I know shoot the Super Black Eagle for waterfowl. 

Thanks, had a quick look.  They’re look to be pretty difficult to get hold of in the UK and they cost £400 more than a new M2!! And almost the same as an SBE. 

7 hours ago, Timo42 said:

Just remembered...If you go shooting with Charlie Foxtrot and he offers to let you shoot the pistol with the hair trigger, make sure no one has a camera out...:o:ph34r:

Enquiring minds??? :o:P

1 hour ago, mad said:

Thanks, had a quick look.  They’re look to be pretty difficult to get hold of in the UK and they cost £400 more than a new M2!! And almost the same as an SBE. 

Sorry, forgot you were in the UK. Then yes the M2 is a great choice and sounds like the value pick. 

Then there is my brother's shooting range business near Whistler. His primary customers are from countries where guns are more restricted (UK,  Australia, Japan etc). He explained to me his rates are high because ammo is about 5x the cost of the US. I did it once and don't see the attraction, but shooting the 0.50 cal BMG rifle was interesting. The AK47 was nasty to shoot, the AR15 was easy. I have zero interest in guns. 

https://www.whistlershooting.com/packages-and-prices

10 hours ago, chinabald said:

Sorry, forgot you were in the UK. Then yes the M2 is a great choice and sounds like the value pick. 

Thanks for feedback and to the others here, I’m going shopping. :P

14 hours ago, mad said:

Enquiring minds??? :o:P

I think Silent Bob has the video, imagine double tap with the second round putting a crease in the ceiling of the range...did I mention the +10 handloads that came with the gun when he bought it?:blink: That he tossed after that session?:P I thought my Thompson Contender chambered in 30-30 was a hand cannon.

• Like 1
On 11/25/2019 at 6:20 PM, MR.CLEAN said:

Never shot it.  Not sure it's 30-06 either cause i just finished cleaning it up and haven't shot it yet, but the uppers are smoothbore 12 ga. I think it is a Krupp from WWI but not sure.

Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 6.15.00 PM.png

Very nice. It might be best to have a gunsmith inspect the gun for you to slug the rifle barrel to determine the precise caliber. He can also determine whether the gun is safe to shoot in its present state. A pro should be able to determine the maker also, surprised it not stamped prominently. There are many makers marks which are not prominent, seen by removing the stock and forearm, which can also indicate the maker. I would be a bit surprised to find it was actually a 30.06 in a German drilling of that age. 

8 hours ago, Zonker said:

Then there is my brother's shooting range business near Whistler. His primary customers are from countries where guns are more restricted (UK,  Australia, Japan etc). He explained to me his rates are high because ammo is about 5x the cost of the US. I did it once and don't see the attraction, but shooting the 0.50 cal BMG rifle was interesting. The AK47 was nasty to shoot, the AR15 was easy. I have zero interest in guns. 

https://www.whistlershooting.com/packages-and-prices

Apart from a bit of curiosity about the 0.50 cal BMG, I’d rather have a dedicated range day shooting long distance steel targets, or a day of dedicated pistol training.  The other bullpups etc don’t really interest me to be honest, not into pay and spray days. 

4 hours ago, Timo42 said:

I think Silent Bob has the video, imagine double tap with the second round putting a crease in the ceiling of the range...did I mention the +10 handloads that came with the gun when he bought it?:blink: That he tossed after that session?:P I thought my Thompson Contender chambered in 30-30 was a hand cannon.

:P:P that must have been a ‘moment’. Did you get kicked off the range? 

Cats.

I keep cats handy.

If you don't know, then I can't explain.

18 hours ago, mad said:

:P:P that must have been a ‘moment’. Did you get kicked off the range? 

Iirc, the rangemaster didn't notice my faux pas, we were down at one end and had looked like we knew what we were doing. Fooled them!:P Strangest part of the day was because I went shooting, I am now the commodore of a yacht club.:huh:

9 hours ago, Timo42 said:

Iirc, the rangemaster didn't notice my faux pas, we were down at one end and had looked like we knew what we were doing. Fooled them!:P Strangest part of the day was because I went shooting, I am now the commodore of a yacht club.:huh:

Well makes a change from slicing balls at the golf club, the other preferred pastime of commodores.:P

On 12/18/2019 at 12:48 AM, Timo42 said:

If I 'member correctly, you wuz warned! 

Not like it mattered.   :lol:

On 12/19/2019 at 10:57 PM, Timo42 said:

Commodore?  With a Cat 22?  Timo, we're going to need to hear that Shaggy Dog story.  I'll get the rum. 

Saw a guy at the range one day, with a replica Colt Navy revolver.... Damn thing ring fired on him. He's lucky it didn't blow his hand/face off.

Made a helluva loud noise, with lots of smoke and swearing.... He didn't try that one again I'm betting.

41 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Saw a guy at the range one day, with a replica Colt Navy revolver.... Damn thing ring fired on him. He's lucky it didn't blow his hand/face off.

Made a helluva loud noise, with lots of smoke and swearing.... He didn't try that one again I'm betting.

That's why you put grease on the downrange end of all the chambers, i.e.: grease your balls: to prevent flash-overs.  You're right - he's damn lucky to still have a whole hand.

10 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

That's why you put grease on the downrange end of all the chambers, i.e.: grease your balls: to prevent flash-overs.  You're right - he's damn lucky to still have a whole hand.

Life requires intelligence.  Reload.

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Never heard of ring fire. What is that? 

26 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Never heard of ring fire. What is that? 

In the old revolvers, the black powder is loaded loose into the cambers of the cylinder, then the lead ball is pressed on top of the powder. When the gun is fired, it's possible that the flame (black powder is literally an explosive) from the gap between the cylinder and the barrel could ignite the the powder in the chambers not being fired. Sometimes, there's gaps between the lead ball and the cylinder wall - or a fine amount of powder coating the same walls, allowing a path for the flame to reach the powder. The results are usually catastrophic, for the firearm and the pistolero's hand. This is called a flash-over, chain or ring fire. 

The solution is a layer of grease in the tops of each cylinder chamber. Any black powder shooter should be very aware of this. 

However, as Hasher stated; "Life requires intelligence."  At least in the long run.

7 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

That's what I meant to post, thanks for correcting me, charlie!!!

Naw, I thought your Murphy's Law reference was singularly appropriate.  I was adding to rather than correcting.  ;)   I kinda see them as two sides of the same coin: Murphy is the reason - Darwin is the result. 

I sometimes wonder why Murphy/ Darwin haven't completely depopulated this world by now.  ;)

2 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

In the old revolvers, the black powder is loaded loose into the cambers of the cylinder, then the lead ball is pressed on top of the powder. When the gun is fired, it's possible that the flame (black powder is literally an explosive) from the gap between the cylinder and the barrel could ignite the the powder in the chambers not being fired. Sometimes, there's gaps between the lead ball and the cylinder wall - or a fine amount of powder coating the same walls, allowing a path for the flame to reach the powder. The results are usually catastrophic, for the firearm and the pistolero's hand. This is called a flash-over, chain or ring fire. 

The solution is a layer of grease in the tops of each cylinder chamber. Any black powder shooter should be very aware of this. 

However, as Hasher stated; "Life requires intelligence."  At least in the long run.

Thanks for the description. 

That would suck. 

6 minutes ago, chinabald said:
2 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Thanks for the description. 

That would suck. 

I think that’s an experience I can live without. 

50 minutes ago, chinabald said:

That would suck.  

Lots of ways for the old iron to kill or maim the ignorant or stupid. 

Another favorite way is to use pointed bullets in a lever's tube magazine.  The bullet tip can act like a firing pin, causing all the rounds in the magazine to fire.  The results are not pretty. Saw a beautiful Uberti clone of a Winchester 1866 Yellow Boy destroyed by a chain fire.  The bullets were of a round nose design; just pointed enough for Murphy/ Darwin. The shooter got off lucky with several deep cuts to his hand and forearm. His little finger was broken and partial stripped of skin when the lever kicked forward. Luckily, his safety glasses stopped a shard of brass casing from putting an eye out.  

I only load flat nosed bullets in my lever. And I'm becoming a Safety Nazi in my old age. 

On 12/17/2019 at 10:33 AM, mad said:

Yeah, great guns.  I love mine so far.

Benelli-M4-Entry-Tactical-Shotgun-12ga-1

:ph34r:

On 12/19/2019 at 3:34 AM, mad said:

Apart from a bit of curiosity about the 0.50 cal BMG, I’d rather have a dedicated range day shooting long distance steel targets, or a day of dedicated pistol training.  The other bullpups etc don’t really interest me to be honest, not into pay and spray days. 

If you ever make it out to Vegas, let me know.  I can take you to a private range with steel from 200 - 1000 meters.  Fantastic setup only 20 min from the strip.  If you want to go further, I have a secret place about an hour out where you can get to 2 miles.  My longest range stick at the moment will do 1500 yds easily but nothing for the really extreme distance.  Yet.  Long range is my game.  500m and less is boring.  ;)

10 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Yeah, great guns.  I love mine so far.

Benelli-M4-Entry-Tactical-Shotgun-12ga-1

:ph34r:

Think I’ll go for the hunting version, I’m not turning up at a clay shoot with one of those!!  

The fucking looks you’d get and possibly asked to leave with that!! :P

On 11/24/2019 at 1:12 PM, billy backstay said:

I haven't been shooting in years, but I maintain a small collection of long guns, in a locked glass fronted display case.  And while I have had a CCW for nearly 10 years, I have yet to purchase a handgun. Starting from longest to shortest, is my Grandfathers Belgian Browning 12 guage semi-auto that he hunted timberdoodles and pheasants with.  It would be of some value, with its' Belgian steel barrel, except he installed an auto turning choke, at the barrels end, which I am told diminishes collectors value.  Next longest is a Sears JC Higgins pump, 20-12 that I acquired from a real estate client when I sold her deceased fathers house, and she didn't want anything to do with guns.  Her brother bent up the bumper on the Missus Pickup Truck when he made a dump run, so I figured keeping his Dads 3 guns was a fair trade.  Next is a Savage 22-.410 single shot from a woman Rehab Psychiatrist,  renting a house, who was also creeped out having a gun in the house. Next is a Winchester model 190, 22 semi-auto from same first client, as is the next longest Marlin 30-30 lever action.  Shortest long gun I purchased myself, with a 20 round clip, 6 months before the clip became illegal in CT, and I have a permit for the clip, although the Ruger Mini 14 in Stainless, is NOT illegal, unlike the scary black gunz, aka the AR-15, which are no more deadly, than the Mini-14.  When I can retire, in another year and a half, I will probably do some target shooting, on a 125 acre piece of woodland that's been in the family for nearly 70 years....  I am told the Mini 14 in SS, is a good boat gun for cruising, being of short barrel length, and rust resistant material.  It's not real Stainless according to my magnet, but should prevent corrosion better than a normal steel barrel and action....

I’m not scared so no need for guns. Besides they’re a public health hazard like cigarettes, asbestos or a dog with Ebola.

14 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Lots of ways for the old iron to kill or maim the ignorant or stupid. 

Modern iron, too.

This is the remains of an AR (not mine) from a local 3-gun match.

Shooter was an experienced pistol guy, figured reloading for rifle wasn't any different, and loaded up his .223 rounds with 25.5gr of pistol powder.

Completely destroyed the rifle.  Amazingly, he didn't get more than a few dings on his fingers.  Could have been much worse.

rifle-bomb.png.ebc306f2ade4eb7b85364d335be57c98.png

26 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

If you ever make it out to Vegas, let me know.  I can take you to a private range with steel from 200 - 1000 meters.  Fantastic setup only 20 min from the strip.  If you want to go further, I have a secret place about an hour out where you can get to 2 miles.  My longest range stick at the moment will do 1500 yds easily but nothing for the really extreme distance.  Yet.  Long range is my game.  500m and less is boring.  ;)

I’d love to have play with one of these! 

http://www.accuracyinternational.com/

58D48324-7507-4EA8-8B33-19A515F06EAC.jpeg

really interesting background to the company and how it started..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_International

The company was established in 1978 by British Olympic shooting gold medallist Malcolm Cooper, MBE (1947–2001), Sarah Cooper, Martin Kay, and the designers of the weapons, Dave Walls and Dave Caig. All were highly skilled international or national target shooters. Accuracy International's high-accuracy sniper rifles are in use with many military units and police departments around the world.[1]