What's in your arsenal??

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have two Winchester Model 94's. These are part of my families history. The top one was my dads high school graduation present from 1948. It is a .32 Special. When i was young, he always promise

In wouldn't necessarily call myself a "placid" driver.  But I usually don't go out of my way to instigate confrontations either.  However, this one day on the way home from work on a fairly open fast

and some orthere stuffe to.                                    

Posted Images

2 hours ago, silent bob said:

@Charlie Foxtrot

Don’t know if this belongs in the Arsenal or your Lawnmower thread, but it belongs in your yard!

0AE3A591-1EDD-4229-B12A-6E95478777E7.jpeg

Time for a remake of Caddyshack with Bill Murray!!

On 3/22/2021 at 8:11 AM, F_L said:

You will like it. I have a couple of them in 9mm and 300 Blackout. They have become my range favorites.

The AR15 is only an "Assault Rifle" to the gun grabbers. To me the AR15 is just a well designed firearm. Reliable, accurate, low recoil,  spare parts widely available.

I finally got back Monday and extracted a pic from a bad video. I thought I was taking a video when we were shooting the AR but I had it in Picture mode. Soo here is a shot of me with my son's sig and a holder, whatever it is called. I'm really not sure what the purpose of this thing is as it just makes a pistol bigger.

The AR was fun. we shot a total of about 250 rnds between all the firearms and yes I was actually hitting the target. Though without the use of my legs for trunk stability, I was constantly a bit high to the left. I hit the target the most with the AR.

I really liked the ear muffs. They let you hear the conversation while muffling the sound of the discharge. I have never worn this type before.

1522071350_sigholder.thumb.jpg.e71576fd5c5071d3bd0363d9be69fea7.jpg

• Like 3

The ones that I should have bought but passed on:

Most people I know who are fans and have one/two are quite happy with them.  Straight shooters and HK quality.   Those who don’t usually prefer a .45ACP piece. Snobs!   You know who you are!

Prices off the chart still.   Ouch.

3 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

Yipes.

RARE HECKLER & KOCH P7M8 JUBILEE UNFIRED, 1 0F 500 MADE, ANIB for sale now marked down to only 7 boat bucks.

Wholly carp!

A friend has a P7 - a very nice, historical, collector's piece. Interesting, but... it's a single stack in a world that's gone double stack for the additional round count. It has the clumsy mag release on the heel, demonstrably inferior to the much more accepted mag release button below the trigger guard. Plus, everyone seems to be going to red dot optics, which couldn't/ shouldn't be done to that collector's item. Time has passed the HK P7 by.  

I'm not convinced red dots are useful for a CCW self-defense pistol, but I'm becoming a voice in the wilderness. 

Thanks, Tom.  Nice find!

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:
4 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

Yipes.

RARE HECKLER & KOCH P7M8 JUBILEE UNFIRED, 1 0F 500 MADE, ANIB for sale now marked down to only 7 boat bucks.

Wholly carp!

A friend has a P7 - a very nice, historical, collector's piece. Interesting, but... it's a single stack in a world that's gone double stack for the additional round count. It has the clumsy mag release on the heel, demonstrably inferior to the much more accepted mag release button below the trigger guard. Plus, everyone seems to be going to red dot optics, which couldn't/ shouldn't be done to that collector's item. Time has passed the HK P7 by.  

I'm not convinced red dots are useful for a CCW self-defense pistol, but I'm becoming a voice in the wilderness. 

Thanks, Tom.  Nice find!

:o:o

Price: NOW $6999.99!!! WAS $8000.00

1 hour ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Wholly carp!

Thanks, Tom.  Nice find!

Agreed on the red dot for carry. Should be focused on the threat and your surroundings. Not fixated on the twitching red dot. 

13 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

P7M13. ?

Well, I'll be damned: there was a 13 round version of the P7!  Too cool!  And 22LR, .32, .380, 40 and a 45 version.  Wholly carp!  I don't think my buddy, who owns the original version, knew that.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I had a P7 PSP with the heel release. Great gun but I felt it was too valuable to shoot. One scratch or some surface rust on that beautiful blue finish from a sloppy wipedown could easily have knocked $500 off its value. I have enough safe queens and prefer my shooters to be appliances (e.g. Glocks).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dorado said:

Agreed on the red dot for carry. Should be focused on the threat and your surroundings. Not fixated on the twitching red dot. 

Yup.  But, for full-sized pistols more likely to be used at 15-25 meters, the red dot is pure sex.  Guy at my range let me fire a mag (when ammo wasn't so precious) though his competition gun. It was ridiculously easy to drill out the X Ring with his tuned loads, SIG 320 and red dot. 

Only thing... the red dots aren't quite there yet; in terms of reliability, size and cost.  Pretty damn close though.

19 minutes ago, IStream said:

I had a P7 PSP with the heel release. Great gun but I felt it was too valuable to shoot. One scratch or some surface rust on that beautiful blue finish from a sloppy wipedown could easily have knocked $500 off its value. I have enough safe queens and prefer my shooters to be appliances (e.g. Glocks).

I always classified my self-defense guns as tools. (Except for that relatively rare, relatively early production G17 1st Gen.) Without any more sentimentality than a hammer. 

Now, my Cowboy guns... 

Wait, are you saying you P7 is LNIB unfired?  Wholly carp!  

50 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

I always classified my self-defense guns as tools. (Except for that relatively rare, relatively early production G17 1st Gen.) Without any more sentimentality than a hammer. 

Now, my Cowboy guns... 

Wait, are you saying you P7 is LNIB unfired?  Wholly carp!  

No, no, no. It was used but in damn near mint condition with box and everything else. I shot it a fair amount but was meticulous about caring for it. Finally I decided to sell it (along with a nice HK91) to finance some other hobbies. 

• 2 weeks later...

Always ck in on this guy.   Knows his stuff.   Sheit happens.   His dad not there and he’s dead.   Never felt comfortable around 50’s.   Sobering video.

Weigh your ammo.  Know your sources.   I missing anything else?

• 4 months later...
11 hours ago, silent bob said:

I’m getting my cat a Tactical Vest and a Glock 19!  

5B4694D8-F1D2-42CE-9901-F2B0EE8BA84E.jpeg

Hah! I need one for my dog.

I'm glad to see this thread get bumped. We have a wide range of gun nutters here. From long range, cowboy action, to itty bitty 22 cal groups.

I went a different route. My fun gun is an AR in 300 Black Out, short barrel and suppressed. I mostly punch paper but I usually do a late season doe/game management hunt. On paper the 300 BO is kinda wimpy. The ancient 30-30 Win kicks it's ass on ballistics. I was attracted to the BO because the caliber is friendly to cast bullets, handloading, short barrels and suppressors.

It's been a fun project. My go to load for this rifle is a 125gr Sierra Spitzer over a near max load of H110. Result is  ~2100fps and right about 1MOA at a 100yds. I have taken a few does with this load. Being super sonic it's not exactly quite but you can shoot it without ear protection.

My goal is for a quiet, accurate subsonic cast bullet load. It has been challenging. I can get it quiet, but accuracy has been terrible. At 50 yds it is more of a pattern than a group. I recently realized the soft lead hollow points are deforming on the feed ramps and affecting accuracy.

bocast.thumb.jpg.ea66d1ee06641debb4d3aea16496e59a.jpg

Here is a pic of a couple of cast loads at 50yds. These were shot single loaded, not through the magazine. The lower 3 shot group is 220gr HP at ~1100fps. The upper group in the bullseye is 150gr HP at ~1500fps.  After  a year of frustration I finally have something I can work with. I need to harden my alloy and experiment with a cup or flat point.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, F_L said:

Hah! I need one for my dog.

I'm glad to see this thread get bumped. We have a wide range of gun nutters here. From long range, cowboy action, to itty bitty 22 cal groups.

I went a different route. My fun gun is an AR in 300 Black Out, short barrel and suppressed. 

It's been a fun project. My go to load for this rifMy goal is for a quiet, accurate subsonic cast bullet load. It has been challenging. I can get it quiet, but accuracy has been terrible. At 50 yds it is more of a pattern than a group. I recently realized the soft lead hollow points are deforming on the feed ramps and affecting accuracy

Here is a pic of a couple of cast loads at 50yds. These were shot single loaded, not through the magazine. The lower 3 shot group is 220gr HP at ~1100fps. The upper group in the bullseye is 150gr HP at ~1500fps.  After  a year of frustration I finally have something I can work with. I need to harden my alloy and experiment with a cup or flat point.

Look up Full Lead Taco on YouTube.  He's done a lot of work on 300 BO cast bullet loads.  

Considering a 300 BO, so I'd like to hear your experiences.  

• Like 1

I finally bought a suppressor for my AR-15, a Dead Air Sandman S.

Wait period is currently "3 to and expect 10 months and you pay now"!? So, my can sits in dealer jail until the ATF gets to my app....

WTF?

Good news tho: After 2+ years, my slot to join the local gun club/range opens, next April.......

• Like 2
On 5/3/2021 at 6:39 AM, blunderfull said:

Always ck in on this guy.   Knows his stuff.   Sheit happens.   His dad not there and he’s dead.   Never felt comfortable around 50’s.   Sobering video.

Weigh your ammo.  Know your sources.   I missing anything else?

"If it wasn't for God, I wouldn't be standing here."  I want to know why God did that to him.  Dangerous mixture, guns and sky fairies.

And that's what you get fucking around with a military weapon designed to kill people.  Sometimes they succeed.

4 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Look up Full Lead Taco on YouTube.  He's done a lot of work on 300 BO cast bullet loads.  

Considering a 300 BO, so I'd like to hear your experiences.  

Thanks for the video. I haven't seen it before but the Taco mold is pretty well known in the BO casting world. It is a great subsonic paper puncher.

I opted for a MP 230 gr HP mold. I wanted a hunting/SD bullet. It has a fatter nose than the Taco so widening the feed ramps on an AR is a necessity.

I love the Blackout but I am a big time tinkerer.  I enjoy the casting and loading as much as the shooting. If I was not shooting suppressed, I would have pick another caliber. Where the Blackout shines is short barrel and suppressed.

If I had unlimited funds (I don't) I would add a Ruger Ranch Rifle in 300 BO.  It's a great rifle and saw one for sale for ~$500. I would SBR and suppress it.

What platform are you thinking about? AR or other?

4 hours ago, Liquid said:

I finally bought a suppressor for my AR-15, a Dead Air Sandman S.

Wait period is currently "3 to and expect 10 months and you pay now"!? So, my can sits in dealer jail until the ATF gets to my app....

WTF?

Good news tho: After 2+ years, my slot to join the local gun club/range opens, next April.......

Congrats on your purchase. The $200 stamp and long wait for approval really sucks. It's not like the gangster are shooting up the hood with suppressors.

I avoided the long wait with an Form 1 suppressor (DIY). All online and 2 1/2 week approval. I thought I might save some money with a Form 1 but that was a joke. After buying all the parts my OCD kicked in. They have jigs available to finish up with ordinary tools (drill press, dremel). Not quite good enough for me so I bought a hobby mill/lathe combo. It was used so it needed upgrades. Of course I also needed tooling. It was a fun but expensive project.

Enjoy your new suppressor. Try to not be to pissed when someone sets up next to you with a big bore rifle and muzzle brake.

• Like 1

I could have bought 'X' number of weapons in the time it took me to fill out the suppressor form at the kiosk... So, the suppressor is lethal?

No need to worry about cleaning. "Just shoot with it, cleans it right out"

Welded baffle stack means you send it back after 30K rounds...

30K?

15 hours ago, F_L said:

What platform are you thinking about? AR or other?

Prolly the AR. My bolters are in .308 and .30-06, and I've got no desire to downsize.  However, the AR could definitely use a supersizing.    

Gun of sailors choice. Of course I had to get one which has most classic look with still good performance. Cant go wrong with German model. 

Flares start to be way too expensive nowadays.

IMG_7409-5.jpg

11 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

At least it hasn't kept up with inflation since 1934. Would be above $4k now.

Add in the Tommy gun to go with it and the package is more expensive today.

16 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Prolly the AR. My bolters are in .308 and .30-06, and I've got no desire to downsize.  However, the AR could definitely use a supersizing.    

If upgrading an AR, all you need is a barrel swap. I can readily recommend Odin Works for their barrels. I shopped hard for my 1st BO barrel and got their 16" SS barrel. Good stuff. Truly 1 MOA capable. When I decided on a SBR, I went with their 10 1/2" barrel. It's also ~1MOA with my best handload.
125grsierra.jpg.80c30a4fbf1237df991285ae75e84159.jpg
That's a 100yd target while suppressed with the 10 1/2" barrel. I never expected the Blackout to be a sub MOA match rifle. But I am happy it can be ~1MOA.

11 hours ago, F_L said:

If upgrading an AR, all you need is a barrel swap. I can readily recommend Odin Works for their barrels. I shopped hard for my 1st BO barrel and got their 16" SS barrel. Good stuff. Truly 1 MOA capable. When I decided on a SBR, I went with their 10 1/2" barrel. It's also ~1MOA with my best handload.
125grsierra.jpg.80c30a4fbf1237df991285ae75e84159.jpg
That's a 100yd target while suppressed with the 10 1/2" barrel. I never expected the Blackout to be a sub MOA match rifle. But I am happy it can be ~1MOA.

Very nice.

Probably just build an upper.  If I really like it, I'll build a lower.  ;)

Ain't modularity grand?  

Took a coworker of my wife’s out for some NooB pistol instruction. After 2 1/2 hrs, he’s stackin’ holes at 15 yards. He shoots a pistol better than me. 

I can only conclude that I’m an excellent instructor and/or a shitty shot. ;)

1 hour ago, IStream said:

Move him to 25 yards and have him shoot a .45 one-handed. 

Nawp. The focus was on Self-Defense. Which means working on safety, two-handed grip, sight picture and trigger press with a 9mm, starting at 3 yards and ending at 15. Anything significantly further, and it's likely the victim should be runnin', not gunnin'. We'll work on longer ranges as he progresses. One of his next steps will be an excellent Citizens' Defensive CCW class taught by our Sherriff's Department.  

Speaking of Slab-Sides, a club member offered us his custom competition 2011 (double-stacked 1911) in 9mm. Wholly Carp, that was a thing of beauty! Trigger was a perfect 1 to 1 1/2 pounds (guestimated), with zero creep; the proverbial glass rod. I put 5 into a ragged hole at 15 yards. All for a low, low price of only $4k+.  :o    

• Like 1

Shot a pair of clean 50 yard conventional prone targets this morning. Anschutz 1813 with a Border barrel firing some old Eley Black box at 1079 that showed some elevation. Fixed 24 power Leupold shooting in the sling. This was one of the better looking groups of five shots. Wind was light and fishtailing with a bit of mirage.IMG_1124.thumb.jpg.1d4e695b83e0e1d6260b9399a0b2f598.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, waay out of my league.........

After the novelty of shooting an AR or a pistol, the most requested weapon with friends is my Henry Lever Action 22 and my mod'd Ruger 10/22. Ya gotta love 22LR against soda cans!!!

Just got this fun 100rd addition! 

'Merica - Fuck Yeah!

PXL_20211005_223259711.NIGHT.jpg

I thought it was illegal in CT to own an AR15?  One of my Mechanics is pretty into gunz, and he says he has built a few, since you can buy certain parts legally, and it's fairly easy to machine the ones you cannot, so totally legal to build and own one, you just can't sell it in this state.  Curious if this is true, or he's bullshitting me????

Got an American Rifle Company Archimedes recently. 6.5creed. It's a friggin' laser. A heavy, beautifully engineered laser.

arc-xylo.jpg

• Like 1

^Damn!!! That looks sweet! It's like an adult version of my Ruger 22 Precision Rifle....

Today I went to the indoor range at lunch to sight in a trickle down red dot from my S&W AR15 purchase, that went onto my little Ruger 10/22. It's very tight inside 25 yards now~!

With the left over ammo, I had time to rent a Ruger 22 Mark III competition pistol (6.88" barrel): WOW, what a joy to shoot - again WOW! The accuracy and groupings from my initial rounds (up to 10 yards) were unbelievable for a newb like me! Such a rewarding gun to shoot, I want one!

Problem is, you can't find a new version Ruger Mark IV (single button take down) anywhere..... Even Ruger's response is: "we don't know when...."

19 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I thought it was illegal in CT to own an AR15?  One of my Mechanics is pretty into gunz, and he says he has built a few, since you can buy certain parts legally, and it's fairly easy to machine the ones you cannot, so totally legal to build and own one, you just can't sell it in this state.  Curious if this is true, or he's bullshitting me????

Unless he's a dealer or somehow one of the other exemptions applies, that's almost certainly a felony.

There's a whole thread about this, you know.

2 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

Unless he's a dealer or somehow one of the other exemptions applies, that's almost certainly a felony.

There's a whole thread about this, you know.

That's kind of what I thought?  Too much work on my desk to read back through this thread.  Lease to write, Resale Doc Requests for Condo sales, Eye Doc, Booster vaccine shot hopefully before we are travelling next month

12 hours ago, billy backstay said:

That's kind of what I thought?  Too much work on my desk to read back through this thread.  Lease to write, Resale Doc Requests for Condo sales, Eye Doc, Booster vaccine shot hopefully before we are travelling next month

The short version is that the ban covers possession, not just sales and other transfers. It's real clear and easy to find and he might just want to read it. Or not. As noted in that other thread, there are "scores of thousands" of felons in possession of banned assault weapons up there, vastly outnumbering your prison population. He's one of them. But they physically can't lock them all up, so...

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Excoded Tom said:

The short version is that the ban covers possession, not just sales and other transfers. It's real clear and easy to find and he might just want to read it. Or not. As noted in that other thread, there are "scores of thousands" of felons in possession of banned assault weapons up there, vastly outnumbering your prison population. He's one of them. But they physically can't lock them all up, so...

I expect you are correct, and my acquaintance is probably a felon.  He wants to buy my Mini 14 with the otherwise illegal 20 round mag, that is licensed only to me, in this state.  But, I am sure as you say, there are way more illegal gun owners than those in prison.  But is that a good or bad thing?  I don't know.  If they are not going to use these weapons against other people for any reason whatsoever, they are harmless gun aficionados, IMHO....

8 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I expect you are correct, and my acquaintance is probably a felon.  He wants to buy my Mini 14 with the otherwise illegal 20 round mag, that is licensed only to me, in this state.  But, I am sure as you say, there are way more illegal gun owners than those in prison.  But is that a good or bad thing?  I don't know.  If they are not going to use these weapons against other people for any reason whatsoever, they are harmless gun aficionados, IMHO....

If you sold it with the magazine, you'd both be eligible for felony convictions. Not a great plan for you, especially considering you can't buy another one if you wanted to. Sounds like your friend needs to move to another state. 

You already answered your own question in the appropriate forum. It's a Stoopid thing.

Back out to range this morning to shoot a dewar which is a 50 yard then a 100 yard smallbore target. Conditions were great with little wind, no mirage (that i could see), and overcast light. A nice pair of cleans with the same gun and ammo combo from the other day. Five shot groups at 50 and ten at 100. DSC06919.thumb.jpg.c0bd8788525ae37e023e0102ae3bfc9f.jpgDSC06921.thumb.jpg.bd3b51a991cf23b8aca41e093f67402d.jpg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

Uh oh. Some people want to DO SOMETHING about any shotgun with a revolving cylinder so it might be wise to buy one of those while it's still legal.

The perennial impulse of the Karens and Kevins to ban anything that frightens their timid, withered, unknowing souls.  All the while excusing attempted murder by the extra-judicial reason of "Mutual Combat".      

• Like 4
On 10/3/2021 at 11:58 AM, Charlie Foxtrot said:

? have you considered 9mm?

Aero's  EPC9 looks like a nice piece.

2 hours ago, Mike in Seattle said:

Having good luck with Ruger’s PCC.   CMMG’s Banshee with the roller delayed bolt look very promising. But Aero is Aero - constantly good stuff at a great price.

Lots of options for the “Battle of the Bedroom” home-defense equipment. 

3 hours ago, Mike in Seattle said:

And interested in the 300 BO because of its barrier-blind capabilities. Especially useful for a trunk-gun. 

I'm looking for the right EDC after my CHL course: I'm a hip carry...

I shoot a Springfield 9mm, XD9, Mod 2, 5"

I've got mitts for paws. The little, single stack guns instantly feel like shit but they seem to be a solution that I can train into.. If I have too!

Am I asking to find a safe and small unicorn EDC?: 9mm, double stacked (fat grip), hammer fired DASA?

2 hours ago, Liquid said:

I'm looking for the right EDC after my CHL course: I'm a hip carry...

I shoot a Springfield 9mm, XD9, Mod 2, 5"

I've got mitts for paws. The little, single stack guns instantly feel like shit but they seem to be a solution that I can train into.. If I have too!

Am I asking to find a safe and small unicorn EDC?: 9mm, double stacked (fat grip), hammer fired DASA?

Sig P229 Legion.  Fits your wish list. Not cheap, but quality never is.

• Like 1

The Springfield Hellcat comes immediately to mind. As does the SIG 365.  But man, that Glock 48 with the Shield Arm S-15 mags…. if you want to go away from the DASA hammered actions. 

If not, look at the CZ P-07 Compact or CZ 75 Compact. 

Currently I'm shooting with micro 4/3. Olympus OM-D EM5 Mk5 (2 bodies). 

For lenses I have

12-40 F2.8

Laowa 7.5mm F2

Olympus 17mm F1.8

Olympus 45mm F1.8

Olympus 40-150 F4-5.6

Panasonic 100 - 300 F4-5.6

Drawbacks. Dynamic range is lower than I'd like. Gotta watch the shots with a low sun in them. Continuous autofocus on moving objects is poor. The menu system is poorly organized. 

Pros: light and small. that full kit except the 100-300 fits in a very small shoulder bag. Discrete; the small bodies and lenses are great for low profile street shooting. The in- body image stabilization is great. Handheld shots at 1 sec exposure are possible. Very customizable. Every button and knob can have its function changed. 

4 hours ago, Zonker said:

Currently I'm shooting with micro 4/3. Olympus OM-D EM5 Mk5 (2 bodies). 

For lenses I have

12-40 F2.8

Laowa 7.5mm F2

Olympus 17mm F1.8

Olympus 45mm F1.8

Olympus 40-150 F4-5.6

Panasonic 100 - 300 F4-5.6

Drawbacks. Dynamic range is lower than I'd like. Gotta watch the shots with a low sun in them. Continuous autofocus on moving objects is poor. The menu system is poorly organized. 

Pros: light and small. that full kit except the 100-300 fits in a very small shoulder bag. Discrete; the small bodies and lenses are great for low profile street shooting. The in- body image stabilization is great. Handheld shots at 1 sec exposure are possible. Very customizable. Every button and knob can have its function changed. 

Nice. I hope continuing to possess such things doesn't get you a felony some day!

5 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

Nice. I hope continuing to possess such things doesn't get you a felony some day!

Zonker lives in a civilized country.

It's not hard to get there,,

(1)  a pervert (NOT Zonk) get caught selling kiddiy porn, AND has the exact same equipment list as Zonk , (who is NOT involved, at all)

(2) your Prime Minister  bans that evil pornographic equipment, and orders them all turned over to gubmint.

(3)  Zonk refuses,  thereby made felon by edict.

, much like NZ.

On 10/15/2021 at 9:40 PM, Charlie Foxtrot said:

The Springfield Hellcat comes immediately to mind. As does the SIG 365.  But man, that Glock 48 with the Shield Arm S-15 mags…. if you want to go away from the DASA hammered actions. 

If not, look at the CZ P-07 Compact or CZ 75 Compact. 

The P-01 stinks to carry imo. Too heavy unless it's on a belt with something opposite side to balance.

3 hours ago, giegs said:

The P-01 stinks to carry imo. Too heavy unless it's on a belt with something opposite side to balance.

Yup.  The P-01 was a heavy beast, but no longer produced?  The P-07 is much better at 28 ozs. The CZ 75 Compact is 5 ozs heavier at 33 ozs.  But man, it really feels good in the hand.  

Other than that, Liquid is pretty much SOL if he must have the SA/DA configuration. The world has pretty much gone to the Striker-Fired Config.  

On 10/18/2021 at 6:46 PM, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Yup.  The P-01 was a heavy beast, but no longer produced?  The P-07 is much better at 28 ozs. The CZ 75 Compact is 5 ozs heavier at 33 ozs.  But man, it really feels good in the hand.  

Other than that, Liquid is pretty much SOL if he must have the SA/DA configuration. The world has pretty much gone to the Striker-Fired Config.  

Okay, I eff'ed up: The CZ P-01 is indeed still in production and still highly regarded. It is just a bit heavier than the P-07 at 28.1 oz. 

giegs, I carry much lighter guns, so I really can't talk about weight on a belt.  However, a range friend is crazy enough to carry a full-sized 1911 (about 40 oz dry.) He says a GOOD, purpose-designed, gun belt is absolutely essential. His belt has a spring steel insert and he doesn't even notice the weight (crazy, I tell yah.) My belt is made with a stiff plastic insert, and it is more comfortable than even a stiff cowhide leather belt.    

On 10/18/2021 at 3:46 PM, Charlie Foxtrot said:

I've never heard of CZ, I'll have a look.

I know SA/DA is old school. It just seems so much safer. 

That's why I'm taking courses, so I can train into modern systems!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Liquid said:

CZ (Česká zbrojovka’, which translates as ‘Czech armory) is an old-line, European gun manufacturer making absolutely top-notch rifles, pistol and shotguns.  Their CZ 75-B Shadow II is the top competition pistol in the action shooting sports worldwide. The CZ 75 is also the direct descendent of the world renown Browning Hi Power, designed by the sainted John Moses Browning. They also own Dan Wesson (high-end 1911s) and Colt Manufacturing. (CZ is doing quite well with Dan Wesson; but, it's still too early to see if it's possible to resolve the Colt mess.) You'll be well served if you decide to go with the CZ brand. 

I've long lusted after the CZ 457 American Combo with 22LR and .17 HMR barrels in one hyper-accurate package.  /

Don't be concerned by the safety of the "modern" (40-50 year-old) Striker-Fired pistol design. A little training will keep you safe. "Keep yer Booger Hook offah-da Bang Switch!"  Good on you for taking training!

Yea I've got one of the NATO edition P-01's with an alu frame. It's a great shooter, just too much of a brick of me to want to carry compared to something plastic and striker fired. No need to carry most of the time anyway. The triggers take a while to break in, but no real complaints. The upgrade kits from Cajun are worthwhile if you'll be gaming or don't want to work through the grit. Magazines are expensive.

Their rimfires are great as well. The 452FS is one of my favorites.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, giegs said:

Their rimfires are great as well. The 452FS is one of my favorites.

Wowzah. That Mannlicher stock with the Euro drop butt is just damn sexy.

CZ 452 Full Stock - 22 LR - 24hourcampfire

Have you put a scope on the CZ? Is it as big of a pain getting the correct rings as I've heard?  

7 hours ago, Liquid said:

My favorite pistol is a Sig P220 - 45 ACP with DA/SA. Old school but shoots really nice.The DA pull is long but smooth. The SA pull is almost perfect. Not quite "target pistol" light, but very good. It's not my EDC but I have carried it with a good holster and belt. I also have a Sig P290. Small and light, sometimes have to check that I still have it.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Don't be concerned by the safety of the "modern" (40-50 year-old) Striker-Fired pistol design. A little training will keep you safe. "Keep yer Booger Hook offah-da Bang Switch!"  Good on you for taking training!

I'm older than modern striker-fired pistols?

Fuck! Here's the thing:

I'm old school. Dad taught me to shoot with shotguns (80's WLIS winter trap circuit - I made the final team a few times).  I was 15 or so when I was invited to walk the pheasant fields with an empty 410 so Dad could watch my booger hooker and muzzle discipline. Fail either one and I would be sent back to the club house! 

He never let me shoot his pistols - ever! He was adamantly against it...?

I fired my first pistol just 5-6 years ago! I'm still learning a new discipline and muscle memory, add in carry I get a tad squeamish with easily fired, chambered rounds in a handgun, stuck to my 4-5 o'clock. That I may need to pull it out in anger and overwhelmed with adrenaline... I don't want to shoot myself!

So, I get the need to fire instantly, but there's the fact it can fire instantly - it's that< 

I'm at stage 2 (?) with handguns! I can't even conceive the notion of an appendix carry............ 

First rule of carrying. 

You never pull a gun in anger. You only act if in fear for your life. Or your loved ones life. Or that of an Inocent person's life being threatened. You only act until the threat has ended. Then you better stop right there.

Educate yourself. Firearms knowledge and handling are just a part of what you need to know to carry responsibly. 

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Liquid said:

muscle memory

The "booger hooker" memory is numero uno. I do this with every trigger-actuated tool I pick up. Drill motors, pneumatic tools, pistols, etc.

99.99% of all weapons will not fire if this discipline is followed.

I think you've got this.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Dorado said:

First rule of carrying. 

You never pull a gun in anger. 

Educate yourself.

How do you not pull a trigger in anger in a self defense situation?

Carry course is 100 - completed. I'm already signed up for 101 & will then do 102 carry instructor courses...

Strangely, the first thing I realized after the carry license class was that I probably shouldn't carry a weapon!! But I will!

As I do walk into sketchy properties now and then......

10 hours ago, Liquid said:

Carry course is 100 - completed. I'm already signed up for 101 & will then do 102 carry instructor courses...

Strangely, the first thing I realized after the carry license class was that I probably shouldn't carry a weapon!! But I will!

You're exactly who should be carrying.  You're far to the right on the Dunning-Kruger curve: You know what you don't know, and it's bothering you. I felt the same way. Still do. 

If you want to get a crash course in responsible Concealed Carry, look-up Massad Ayoob on You Tube. He is the Past Grand Master of the Self-Defense movement. 

Your CC 100 class is your Learner's Permit. Use it. Self-defense experiences almost universally indicate a gun in the hand of a good (not necessarily trained - sometimes anything but) individual does good things. In the vast amount of cases, the mere suggestion or presentation of the firearm drives off the aggressor.  Study the laws of your state. And don't be in a hurry to present or use your firearm, but when it's needed (as judged by the Capability, Opportunity and Intent of the aggressor), do so quickly.  BTW: States adopting CCW laws often see a significant decrease in violence.  In no instance has "Blood Run in the Streets" despite the claims of the Establishment Media. Good people do good things.  

Keep practicing and learning. 

Luck!

CF

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Liquid said:

How do you not pull a trigger in anger in a self defense situation?

As I do walk into sketchy properties now and then......

Like I said, educate yourself.  This is all about you not winding up in jail for a long time if you ever get into a situation.

There are certain things you should do, and say after an incident, when the Law shows up.

Read the Judicial Council of California Criminal Jury Instructions CALCRIM

You will be going to trial. These people will decide your fate. You need to get it right.

• Like 3