Jump to content

What's in your arsenal??


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have two Winchester Model 94's. These are part of my families history. The top one was my dads high school graduation present from 1948. It is a .32 Special. When i was young, he always promise

In wouldn't necessarily call myself a "placid" driver.  But I usually don't go out of my way to instigate confrontations either.  However, this one day on the way home from work on a fairly open fast

and some orthere stuffe to.                                    

Posted Images

On 10/22/2021 at 11:30 AM, Autonomous said:

Obtain a copy of The law of Self Defense by Andrew F. Branca.

"In the Gravest Extreme" is worth getting, too.

A bit dated, but written by a guy (Massad Ayoob) who served as an expert witness in self-defense cases, and has some thought-provoking content.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, silent bob said:

Can she come to California, and run for Governor?!  Ours has gone missing!  

Dooooood, Grusom going missing would be just about the best thing for Kali.  Unfortunately, he's a busy lil' Fascist.  

I just liked Sears' campaign poster with a Designated Marksman Rifle (DMRish) AR. You don't have to look for the message. Heard her speak a couple of times; she's a no-nonsense, stack the bodies, thank Gawd I'm out of Jamaica, Murica First, type of Marine. The Soy Bois in Virginia are going to have their hands full.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Nice looking. Classic lines. Wonder how long till it’s on Cali’s “approved” handgun list. Years I’d bet. 

Sorry PB; the answer is never. Thanks to Kamala "Ho Ho Ho" Harris, since 2007 all new semiautomatic handguns must meet California's legislated Microstamping requirement.  As the required technology to indelibly serialize every fired case is at best highly impractical and doesn't exist outside the laboratory, the law amounts to a complete ban on new pistols. Since her arbitrary decision to certify the technology as available (an absolute lie), the number of pistols for sale in the Grate State has dropped by about half. It is a duplicitous backdoor gun ban.   

  https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2020/10/01/microstamping-slo-mo-gun-ban-n39120 

The SA-35 is a refinement of the historic Browning Hi-Power, first introduced in 1935. Many feel it is John Moses "1911" Browning's masterwork. I've wanted one for years. And the MSRP is a very agreeable $699.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Los Angeles Mayor Yogapantz Ragneesh Garshitty gets the ‘Rona while at the COP26 conference in Scotland.  I wonder if he’ll have to sign up for Unemployment Benefits when he doesn’t get confirmed for the Ambassador to India post?  
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Sorry PB; the answer is never. Thanks to Kamala "Ho Ho Ho" Harris, since 2007 all new semiautomatic handguns must meet California's legislated Microstamping requirement.  As the required technology to indelibly serialize every fired case is at best highly impractical and doesn't exist outside the laboratory, the law amounts to a complete ban on new pistols. Since her arbitrary decision to certify the technology as available (an absolute lie), the number of pistols for sale in the Grate State has dropped by about half. It is a duplicitous backdoor gun ban.   

  https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2020/10/01/microstamping-slo-mo-gun-ban-n39120 

The SA-35 is a refinement of the historic Browning Hi-Power, first introduced in 1935. Many feel it is John Moses "1911" Browning's masterwork. I've wanted one for years. And the MSRP is a very agreeable $699.  

The current case in the Supreme Court could nullify a lot of the limits on cities and states imposing limits on guns!  
 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/03/us/supreme-court-guns-second-amendment.html

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:


Springfield brings back the Hi Power. 

Daddy wants.  

image.jpeg

Definitely interesting. Getting rid of the mag disconnect and adding a ring hammer are both great changes. Will be curious to see what kind of QC issues pop up once enough people get their hands on em. Allegedly made in the US, but I haven't seen anything about who's producing parts and suchlike.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, giegs said:

Definitely interesting. Getting rid of the mag disconnect and adding a ring hammer are both great changes. Will be curious to see what kind of QC issues pop up once enough people get their hands on em. Allegedly made in the US, but I haven't seen anything about who's producing parts and suchlike.

Definitely interesting. Getting rid of the mag disconnect (really improved the trigger pull) and adding a ring hammer are both great changes (lessens the chance of slide bite). Will be curious to see what kind of QC issues pop up once enough people get their hands on em. (I usually wait a year before buying a newly released  gun.) Allegedly made in the US, but I haven't seen anything about who's producing parts and suchlike.  (Slides and frame forgings done offshore (India?)  All machining/ assembly is done in Genesa, Illinoid.)  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Always like the power of a .45 and the looks of a plain 1911.    
 

The extra capacity of a Hi-Power and less expensive (still ?) 9 mm make this a no-brainer if you got the money laying around.  

Will stop in at RifleGear in FV tomm - be right down block.  Been awhile - they usually have some nice pieces.

 

How many being made again?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Point Break said:

Nice looking. Classic lines. Wonder how long till it’s on Cali’s “approved” handgun list. Years I’d bet. 

What?   Banned?   You gotta be kidding? Uh wait….Cali??

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blunderfull said:

What?   Banned?   You gotta be kidding? Uh wait….Cali??

Well............its a backdoor ban on handguns slowly being ratcheted down till no handguns are available or "approved". I keep waiting for someone to challenge this very transparent ban in court. The latest SCOTUS case does not address this directly but may encourage others to challenge clearly backdoor banning efforts.

Anyway.........

Quote

As of January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.

There are currently only 54 handguns on Cali's approved list. 

 https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certified-handguns/search?make=150972

This is the list of hand guns previously approved that the "approval" has expired.............

https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/de-certified-handguns

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2021 at 3:10 PM, silent bob said:

The current case in the Supreme Court could nullify a lot of the limits on cities and states imposing limits on guns!  
 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/03/us/supreme-court-guns-second-amendment.html

I wish I could say I trust those Harvard educated toffs, but I don't.  They're more than likely elite swampers underneath their dresses.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Ah, the good old days... wheeling a carp-ton of ammo out of the Fairgrounds by handi-jack.  7.62x39 and 7.62x54R just a little more than 22LR.  Pre-Fascist.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Ah, the good old days... wheeling a carp-ton of ammo out of the Fairgrounds by handi-jack.  7.62x39 and 7.62x54R just a little more than 22LR.  Pre-Fascist.  

Ya, guys bragging about an SKS they got for $125. at OC back in the day.

I bought a fair lot of knives and tools that I still have around.   The tables of knives and whatever?   Damn that was fun times.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I purchased my first pistol ~5 years ago and shot it every now and then but I shot exclusively outside at soda cans, fruit, metal targets, etc. until about 2 months ago. Now I know exactly how much I suck!

Today was my 4th time shooting indoors and day 1 with my brand spankin' new Beretta M9 (92X) with D/SA. 

Below are some of my first 100 rds (10 rds clips): I got the low lefties - bad (all inside 7 yards even...)! The trigger wall at single action is very crisp/close (much closer/sharper than my Springfield XD 9) and taking time to get used to! If needed, I can line up other excuses......

Me likey the Beretta tho!!!

Next Skills class is late January...

 

 

PXL_20211107_010008158.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2021 at 8:45 AM, Point Break said:

There are currently only 54 handguns on Cali's approved list. 

It's not quite THAT bad - the 54 is the number of Glock models on the list.  There are ~800 in total on the list

But your overall point is correct - the "approved list" is a way to make things harder to get and keep.  I was friends with the guy who started/owned STI, he wouldn't even submit models for California's testing program... he'd have to ship something like 4 of each model he wanted to submit, they'd destroy them in testing, and then they wouldn't get approved anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sledracr said:

54 is the number of Glock models on the list. 

Haha, I hope.... 54 'variations' of a bland, striker fired, semi auto pistol????

 

 

Newest model is the GBSSCDC 1 for the recently breathing:

The Glock Baby Super Sub-Compact Diaper Carry, 1" barrel, striker fired, no safety, binkie actuated, semi auto pistol!

Be strolled with freedom in your diaper - GLOCK!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Liquid said:

I purchased my first pistol ~5 years ago and shot it every now and then but I shot exclusively outside at soda cans, fruit, metal targets, etc. until about 2 months ago. Now I know exactly how much I suck!

Today was my 4th time shooting indoors and day 1 with my brand spankin' new Beretta M9 (92X) with D/SA. 

Below are some of my first 100 rds (10 rds clips): I got the low lefties - bad (all inside 7 yards even...)! The trigger wall at single action is very crisp/close (much closer/sharper than my Springfield XD 9) and taking time to get used to! If needed, I can line up other excuses......

Me likey the Beretta tho!!!

Next Skills class is late January...

 

 

PXL_20211107_010008158.jpg

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Free!!!

For those of you interested in self-defense:  The Law of Self Defense Principles by Andrew Braca.

I paid about $15-$17 for the book several years ago and considered it a bargain. Good, effective information.  Highly recommended.

https://get.lawofselfdefense.com/v1-full-freebook-lp/b.html  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 9:51 AM, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Free

The Law of Self Defense Principles by Andrew Braca.

https://get.lawofselfdefense.com/v1-full-freebook-lp/b.html  

Got my free copy today with the latest edition of 'Deadly Force' ('14) by Massad Ayoob on the way. It sure does seem to be required reading these days.....

 

Informal survey of any like minded kooks:

Q1 EDC: What's your favorite brand of IWB or OWB, hip carry holster - retention or not - just your fav brand?

There seems to be as many brands and variations of holster as the color white in home decor.... and you can't try them out beforehand. Grrrrr!!! 

 

Q2: If you have/do shoot '3 Gun', my local club does (now able to apply!): What's you're favorite 12g? I like the Remington Versa Max but I'm biased because I was raised on Remington 12gs in the field and trap but my 870 pump magazine is too small and it's a fucking pump!!! My other 12g is an O/U.... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Liquid said:

Informal survey of any like minded kooks:

Q1 EDC: What's your favorite brand of IWB or OWB, hip carry holster - retention or not - just your fav brand?

There seems to be as many brands and variations of holster as the color white in home decor.... and you can't try them out beforehand. Grrrrr!!! 

Q2: If you have/do shoot '3 Gun', my local club does (now able to apply!): What's you're favorite 12g? I like the Remington Versa Max but I'm biased because I was raised on Remington 12gs in the field and trap but my 870 pump magazine is too small and it's a fucking pump!!! My other 12g is an O/U.... 

Q1 EDC: What's your favorite brand of IWB or OWB:
I use a semi-custom kydex holster maker with excellent customer service: Jason at Concealment Solutions.  https://www.concealmentsolutions.com/default.asp

I'm partial to his IWB ASP Micro https://www.concealmentsolutions.com/product-p/asp_micro.htm, which is a comfortable, minimalistic holster that has a molded in Crows-Foot to push the gun butt closer to the body for mo bettah concealment. With Charlotte, I own several of his holsters and I'm very well pleased. Note: I will not use a CCW holster with retention: Too much to go wrong when everything HAS to go right.  

Through the end of Nov21, Jason is having a 20% off Thanksgiving sale. Use the coupon code: "showmethecandy". (Don't ask - he isn't well.) I may be hitting him up for an OTB holster to try to keep the Florida smegma off the pistol while I work in the yard. 

Tell 'im, Charlie says "Hay!"  (That'll getcha some extra derision.)  

Q2: Shotty for 3 Gun:
3 Gun is a young(er) man's game, so I shoot 4 Gun, also know as SASS.  Buuuuuuttttt: Beretta sells the 1301 Comp Pro that has the intrawebz droolers all excited. It is supposedly REALLY expensive - and worth it. If you're into podcasts, check out The 3-Gun Show with Dave Hartman. The Vortex Nation's podcast  #188 deals with choosing and equipping an AR for 3-Gun.
Beretta 1301 Comp Pro 12Ga shotgun | GUNSweek.com
The Versa-Max is an outstanding shotgun. However, I'd wait until the Remington Outdoors <spit> QA problems/ bankruptcies/ sale/ new owner changes get sorted out.  I wouldn't buy anything Remington that was manufactured from 2006 through 2022.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Liquid said:

Q1 EDC: What's your favorite brand of IWB or OWB, hip carry holster - retention or not - just your fav brand?

Vedder, particularly their "light tuck" IWB range.

 

9 hours ago, Liquid said:

Q2: If you have/do shoot '3 Gun',  What's you're favorite 12g? 

I ran a tricked out (extended tube, tweaked gas-system, etc) Rem-1100 for years, mostly because it was super-reliable and a whole lot less unpleasant to shoot than the Benelli M4 pain-generators that were the hotness back then.

These days, on the rare occasions that I shoot 3-gun, I run an Akdal MKA-1919 tricked out by Firebird Precision.  If I played enough to justify the cost, I'd buy one of R&R Racing's "Wright-12" shotguns, they're amazing but, sheesh, they start at like 4k. 

Mostly, though, the 3-gun game around here has morphed to 2-gun (generally AR+pistol or PCC+pistol)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

^Thanks for the replies. Even more holster manu's to check out...

I had no idea Remington was in trouble, but private equity came in to 'help'? Let's hope Remington assets will prevail!

3 Gun appeals to me because it brings all the disciplines together. Looks like a fun challenge just to run a coarse regardless of score!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Liquid said:

3 Gun appeals to me because it brings all the disciplines together. Looks like a fun challenge just to run a coarse regardless of score!

It definitely brings the disciplines together.  Particularly in the variant usually called "multigun".

Traditional 3-gun competition was three separate matches - a pistol match, a rifle match and a shotgun match, with the results aggregated to identify a winner of the "tournament".  Multigun, on the other hand, is different in that you may use two or even three guns on the same "stage".   At the start signal, for example, you might engage certain targets with your shotgun, safely abandon it in a specified location, draw your pistol to engage a different set of targets and - now that your heart rate is up <lol> engage some rifle targets a few hundred yards away.  All on the clock.  Great fun.

It *is* pretty equipment intensive - not just in needing the three guns (*), but in needing all the other stuff - magazines (and belt gear to hold them), slings and bipods for the rifle etc.  Oftentimes the biggest challenge on a stage is having the right stuff on you.  Especially if - for example - the shotgun targets include a mix of paper (slugs), steel (birdshot) and clays ("spreader" rounds).  And trying to figure out which choke to use on a stage like that can be really fun (e.g., knowing where to "hold" for a slug shot at 80-100 yards, and how your choice of choke affects where the slug goes...)

Which leads to an IMO observation - a lot of the reason multigun participation is on a downward slope, at least around here, is because it ends up being "all about the shotgun".  Matches are won and lost not on how good you are with pistol or rifle, but on how effectively you can load your shotgun with the right ammo, on the clock.  It - at least for me - takes a lot of the fun out of it, because it disproportionately tilts the table away from marksmanship and more toward ammo-management.  that's why 2-gun seems to be picking up a lot of the buzz...

ymmv.

(*) note, too, that there is approximately zero agreement on equipment rules across the many different flavors of multigun competition throughout the US.  Depending on the ruleset, a given shotgun may be ineligible if the tube is too long, or if it holds more than a certain number of rounds.  Same for rifles - there are different viewpoints on what qualifies as a "limited" or "tac-optics" rifle setup.  Best thing, if you really want to get into it, is to find out which ruleset your local matches run under, and set up your gear to suit....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2021 at 1:24 AM, Liquid said:

Got my free copy today with the latest edition of 'Deadly Force' ('14) by Massad Ayoob on the way. It sure does seem to be required reading these days.....

 

Informal survey of any like minded kooks:

Q1 EDC: What's your favorite brand of IWB or OWB, hip carry holster - retention or not - just your fav brand?

There seems to be as many brands and variations of holster as the color white in home decor.... and you can't try them out beforehand. Grrrrr!!! 

 

Q2: If you have/do shoot '3 Gun', my local club does (now able to apply!): What's you're favorite 12g? I like the Remington Versa Max but I'm biased because I was raised on Remington 12gs in the field and trap but my 870 pump magazine is too small and it's a fucking pump!!! My other 12g is an O/U.... 

I’ve got a friend who is a staff hunter for a waterfowl gear company. He hunts more days a year then most duck hunters hunt in 10 years. On top of that he Turkey hunts, deer hunts, small game… and shoots thousands of clay pigeons a year. Needless to say he has a shotgun in his hands 250 days a year. He swears by the versa max. Great gun, it’s a workhorse. I Wish they were still being made I was going to buy one this year. Hopefully they start making them again soon.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Liquid said:

^Thanks for the replies. Even more holster manu's to check out...

I had no idea Remington was in trouble, but private equity came in to 'help'? Let's hope Remington assets will prevail!

3 Gun appeals to me because it brings all the disciplines together. Looks like a fun challenge just to run a coarse regardless of score!

 

Remington went bankrupt and all of their companies were recently sold off. 
 

many don’t realize but on top of hoarding this is a prime reason for our current ammo shortages. Remington owned several large ammo brands and all stopped production right about the time covid hit. So you have increased demand with a shortened supply. All of their ammo brands are now owned by separate companies. Hopefully those factories will be producing again soon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chinabald said:

Remington went bankrupt and all of their companies were recently sold off. 
 

many don’t realize but on top of hoarding this is a prime reason for our current ammo shortages. Remington owned several large ammo brands and all stopped production right about the time covid hit. So you have increased demand with a shortened supply. All of their ammo brands are now owned by separate companies. Hopefully those factories will be producing again soon. 

IN 2006 Cerberus/ Freedom Group bought Remington along with many other firearm related companies, the most notable being Marlin Firearms.  They immediately started playing Stupid MBA Tricks to service the huge debt load. Quality and innovation were the first things sacrificed. By 2015, consumers were fed up with Big Green, and revenues took a further dive. A couple of bankruptcies later, the remaining assets of the historic 200+ year-old company were sold on the block to multiple companies.  

Several months ago, The Remington Ammo company resumed production as part of a consortium that also owns CCI and Federal. With the additional 30% capacity, the common calibers almost immediately reappeared on the shelves, although prices are still elevated.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2021 at 3:58 AM, Charlie Foxtrot said:


Springfield brings back the Hi Power. 

Daddy wants.  

image.jpeg

I have shot FN HP-DA and handled 1930´s original one. It is only pre world war 2 pistol that doesnt feel outdated. Like 1911, "Luger" and TT-33.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

IN 2006 Cerberus/ Freedom Group bought Remington along with many other firearm related companies, the most notable being Marlin Firearms.  They immediately started playing Stupid MBA Tricks to service the huge debt load. 

Yup.  and there is no shortage of conspiracy theorists in the shooting community who believe that Cerberus' games (buy firearms businesses, sell off real-estate, manufacturing capabilities, etc) and leave the remaining bits to die under a crushing debt-load was a deliberate effort to cripple the industry.  Often whispering that Soros was behind it. 

We'll never know, of course, but as that whack-job who used to talk with people about aliens on late-night radio used to say.... "entirely plausible"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pertsa said:

I have shot FN HP-DA and handled 1930´s original one. It is only pre world war 2 pistol that doesnt feel outdated. Like 1911, "Luger" and TT-33.

Now, now, now...

The Walter P.38 (barely) fits into your pre-WWII classification. I spent an enjoyable day at the range with one (1943 parts gun), bangin' steel at 50 and 100 yards. I found the Walther to be remarkably modern in feel, performance and reliability. 

But, I'm 100% in agreement with the Luger, what a shiite show. Got to remember, it was a turn of the century, steam-powered pistol.  ;)  The Tok wasn't bad, largely because it was a rip-off of JMB's Colt 1903.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, chinabald said:

Interesting thanks for sharing. 

My first trigger pull is accurate-ish, my second not so much. I'm not slapping the trigger but I'm still anticipating the bang... 

Here's a great way, I just learned and tried, to actually see what your mind is doing to your grip.

 

Cliff notes: Chamber a round, remove magazine, fire hot round, then dry fire as if hot and note where the front sight goes!

It's an eye opening drill!!! 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Liquid said:

My first trigger pull is accurate-ish, my second not so much. I'm not slapping the trigger but I'm still anticipating the bang... 

Here's a great way, I just learned and tried, to actually see what your mind is doing to your grip.

 

Cliff notes: Chamber a round, remove magazine, fire hot round, then dry fire as if hot and note where the front sight goes!

It's an eye opening drill!!! 

 

 

Nice.  Going to try that. 

There's also the Ball and Dummy drill.  A buddy loads a mag for you with a random mix of live rounds and dummies. When you get the click, you'll be able to see what you were doing during the trigger press.  

Worked really well for me, I didn't believe I was snatching the trigger until a few dummy rounds.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

IN 2006 Cerberus/ Freedom Group bought Remington along with many other firearm related companies, the most notable being Marlin Firearms.  They immediately started playing Stupid MBA Tricks to service the huge debt load. Quality and innovation were the first things sacrificed. By 2015, consumers were fed up with Big Green, and revenues took a further dive. A couple of bankruptcies later, the remaining assets of the historic 200+ year-old company were sold on the block to multiple companies.  

Several months ago, The Remington Ammo company resumed production as part of a consortium that also owns CCI and Federal. With the additional 30% capacity, the common calibers almost immediately reappeared on the shelves, although prices are still elevated.    

Still having a hard time finding shotgun target loads. Haven't seen any gun club shells. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chinabald said:

I have to try some of these drills. I don’t shoot the pistol often.  But when I do from 10 yards this is typically what the target looks like. 

B0E2EC86-5334-48D2-90BF-0A91C8FEA148.png

 

Do both live/blank drills!

Perspective also helps: I've probably only shot 1K-ish 9MM rounds in the last 4 years across 3 different guns (most of those recently)... Hand guns are fucking hard to shoot! 

 

As a newb to pistols, here's some recently solicited advice from shooters at my local indoor range which is also the county Sheriff Training Center!

- Slow and smooth will become smooth and fast but now, just slow and smooth. Grip - acquire sights - target picture - then pull. Chill, breath, repeat!

- Have/practice a repeatable draw - grip - out to sight picture. Unfucking a bad grip habit sucks-Grrrrr......!

- Don't have target ego: Start at 3 yards, then push to 5, 7, 10. Self defense happens quickly and at very close range!

- Don't over shoot/practice. I seem to peak at around 60-70 rounds (split between a full sized and a compact 9MM). 

 

YMMV

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Now, now, now...

The Walter P.38 (barely) fits into your pre-WWII classification. I spent an enjoyable day at the range with one (1943 parts gun), bangin' steel at 50 and 100 yards. I found the Walther to be remarkably modern in feel, performance and reliability. 

But, I'm 100% in agreement with the Luger, what a shiite show. Got to remember, it was a turn of the century, steam-powered pistol.  ;)  The Tok wasn't bad, largely because it was a rip-off of JMB's Colt 1903.

 

 

P.38 is nice gun, but even that feels outdated compared to FN HP. Single stack magazine, that ridiculous magazine release are the worst points of that gun.

Though I did not mean that guns I mentioned are bad. It is just that they feel dated compared to HP.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Beautiful!  Looks NRA 98%.  Incredible!

Flat loading gate or sculptured?

 

It’s not a flatgate. The serial number lacks any prefix and it’s five digits, so if I’m reading the serial number lookup correctly it’s 57 vintage. Here’s a serial number pic.

886F8685-5A80-42EC-97CC-639A9943AA91.thumb.jpeg.55e718bfd7c69646b6fc88cc5e250a7c.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Orion Jim said:

It’s not a flatgate. The serial number lacks any prefix and it’s five digits, so if I’m reading the serial number lookup correctly it’s 57 vintage. Here’s a serial number pic.

886F8685-5A80-42EC-97CC-639A9943AA91.thumb.jpeg.55e718bfd7c69646b6fc88cc5e250a7c.jpeg

You've got quite an eye for gunflesh.  Both the Single Six and the Smidt speak volumes.  

Charlotte bought herself a wonderful 6" S&W 617.  I bought a... Glock.  ;) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

You've got quite an eye for gunflesh.  Both the Single Six and the Smidt speak volumes.  

Charlotte bought herself a wonderful 6" S&W 617.  I bought a... Glock.  ;) 

I have a 4 digit 2nd gen. Colt SAA I’ll post when I take a photo. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Colt Single Action Army, .45 Colt, 2nd generation. Four digit serial number from the first year of production. 
I have a set of faux ivory grips on it just in case I get clumsy and because I actually shoot it. In one photo I have the factory original, serial number matching grips, just for show. I don’t care to risk the original grips for casual use. 
 

99FF24D9-BCBB-40F4-AE77-5A6F7650F9F4.thumb.jpeg.590c7fe5fc46f924e8897fd1a85af3d3.jpeg
 

8584AE6B-9565-4371-8ED8-4CF3FB6E4191.thumb.jpeg.c5acc8972f8aa45ed63d32e445eda1a5.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

Now to begin the long wait for my tax stamps  :/

Silencer Co Sparrow and Omega 9k.  I hate waiting....

MS

Do you use a trust for your NFA items?  

Just heard a Vortek podcast featuring the SilencerShop Single Shot Trust.  For $25 per item, it sounds like a must have. And you can add trustees by simply writing their names on the paper.

Sounds too good to be true. 

Enjoy your suppressors!  I've been thinking of one.  Or two... three...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Do you use a trust for your NFA items?  

Just heard a Vortek podcast featuring the SilencerShop Single Shot Trust.  For $25 per item, it sounds like a must have. And you can add trustees by simply writing their names on the paper.

Sounds too good to be true. 

Enjoy your suppressors!  I've been thinking of one.  Or two... three...

 

I did do one shot trusts.  The Silencer Shop kiosk is amazing.  It handles all the paperwork and fingerprints. It took maybe 45 minutes from start to finish to handle all the paperwork.  Now the Silencer Shop Android app where you have to upload a photo of yourself is TOTALLY broken, but a quick chat with customer service and I emailed the photo to them and they uploaded it for me.  Now the long wait begins.

I like the cartridge 10 minute talks too.  Ryan Muckenhirn is shocking in his knowledge.  My favorite of their podcasts was with Lightweight Dave on lightweight rifles.  Good stuff.  And if you watch enough of them you can actually watch Mark and Jimmy get less and less dumb.  :)

 

MS

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

I did do one shot trusts.  The Silencer Shop kiosk is amazing.  It handles all the paperwork and fingerprints. It took maybe 45 minutes from start to finish to handle all the paperwork.  Now the Silencer Shop Android app where you have to upload a photo of yourself is TOTALLY broken, but a quick chat with customer service and I emailed the photo to them and they uploaded it for me.  Now the long wait begins.

I like the cartridge 10 minute talks too.  Ryan Muckenhirn is shocking in his knowledge.  My favorite of their podcasts was with Lightweight Dave on lightweight rifles.  Good stuff.  And if you watch enough of them you can actually watch Mark and Jimmy get less and less dumb.  :)

 

MS

Were you able to E-file?  E-file is supposed to be available soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

No.  All of the stuff is sent to SS electronically, but from there it is a paper file.  Apparently the ATF has stopped accepting E-file.

MS

Form 4 E-file should be available soon.
https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/blogs/nfa-gun-trust-atf-information-database-blog/atf-eform-4-update-available-in-2019

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, F_L said:

Upon further review it looks like SilencerShop submitted the forms electronically, so hopefully wait times will go down with E-file.

MS

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

Upon further review it looks like SilencerShop submitted the forms electronically, so hopefully wait times will go down with E-file.

MS

Excellent. In 2019 I did a Form 1 SBR and suppressor via E-file. It was about a 2 week wait.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

Anybody get their hands on the newish FN 502 Tactical?  Looks like a pretty sweet little handgun in 22LR

 

MS

Seen several very positive reviews in print and youtube.   Especially cool as it mimics almost exactly the full size FN Tacticals for low cost training. 

Personally, I've never warmed up to the FN pistols, just too comfortable with my Glocks.  Be interested in reading your range report if you go that way.  

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Seen several very positive reviews in print and youtube.   Especially cool as it mimics almost exactly the full size FN Tacticals for low cost training. 

Personally, I've never warmed up to the FN pistols, just too comfortable with my Glocks.  Be interested in reading your range report if you go that way.  

  

Agreed.  Lots of good reviews on the Youtubes, but me thinks most of those are paid for.  My LGS cant find one so it may be a bit before I can put my hands on one.  I like my Sigs (P365, P320 X Full) and had planned on getting a Ruger Mk IV, but I like what I see so far from the FN.

Too many guns to choose from.  I still want get something flat shooting to go prairie dog hunting (it really is more anihilation than hunting) next summer/fall.  I talked to a friend who did it a few years ago.  He said, "You might ask yourself when it gets old killing prairie dogs.  It NEVER does!"

 

MS

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

Agreed.  Lots of good reviews on the Youtubes, but me thinks most of those are paid for.  My LGS cant find one so it may be a bit before I can put my hands on one.  I like my Sigs (P365, P320 X Full) and had planned on getting`

Too many guns to choose from.  I still want get something flat shooting to go prairie dog hunting (it really is more anihilation PEST CONTROL than hunting) next summer/fall.  I talked to a friend who did it a few years ago.  He said, "You might ask yourself when it gets old killing prairie dogs.  It NEVER does!

MS

 

FIFY, MS! 

:D

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

Agreed.  Lots of good reviews on the Youtubes, but me thinks most of those are paid for.  My LGS cant find one so it may be a bit before I can put my hands on one.  I like my Sigs (P365, P320 X Full) and had planned on getting a Ruger Mk IV, but I like what I see so far from the FN.

Too many guns to choose from.  I still want get something flat shooting to go prairie dog hunting (it really is more anihilation than hunting) next summer/fall.  I talked to a friend who did it a few years ago.  He said, "You might ask yourself when it gets old killing prairie dogs.  It NEVER does!"

 

MS

 

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

 

FIFY, MS! 

:D

 

Unfortunately, pest control in my neighborhood would involve Murder One for Coon Hunting!  But it sure would be fun picking off some Zombie Meth Tweakers!  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

I still want get something flat shooting to go prairie dog hunting (it really is more anihilation than hunting) next summer/fall. 

MS

Never done prairie dogging seriously.  But the unserious attempts were very fun.  

Buddy of mine - The PD Terminator - recommends a .17 HMR bolter out to about 150 yards. Out to ~400 yards the ol' barrel burnin' 22-250 is his favorite. Past that, the .243 Ackley Improved floats to the top. Beyond that would be the 6.5 Creedmoor (Nowadays, I'd bet he'd favor the 6.0 Creed) if you want to spend that much swackin' sage rats. 

Of those I've only shot the .17 - it's a frickin' laser beam.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:



Of those I've only shot the .17 - it's a frickin' laser beam.  

A friend of mine has 50 acres of walnuts. It was infested what ground squirrels. When the 17 HMR first came out we got Ruger 77s with 20x Weaver Grand Slam scopes and built some shooting benches. Any ground squirrel within 140 yards or so was dead if they stuck their head out of the hole.

Laser beam indeed. I haven't bothered with the dogballs ever since.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Of those I've only shot the .17 - it's a frickin' laser beam.  

I have a little Rossi with 17 HMR and .410 barrels, but I almost never use the shotgun barrel. It's a kid's gun, so pretty tiny and light. I put a crappy scope on it and it's great fun. If you hit an orange just right with a 17 HMR, it explodes in a cloud of mist.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A brace of Winchester lever action rifles. One is a Model 1892 with a four digit serial number placing it in the first year of production. It is in .38 W.C.F. also known as .38-40. On the right is a Model 1894 in .32 Winchester Special which was first offered in that caliber in October of 1901. This example was produced in 1901. 

Both are in fine working order and are accurate shooters with my reloads. 85582761-24D4-4784-B304-DA8833FAC954.thumb.jpeg.6e53d6be4e785760aa0d07c1179e8c16.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Orion Jim said:

A brace of Winchester lever action rifles. One is a Model 1892 with a four digit serial number placing it in the first year of production. It is in .38 W.C.F. also known as .38-40. On the right is a Model 1894 in .32 Winchester Special which was first offered in that caliber in October of 1901. This example was produced in 1901. 

Both are in fine working order and are accurate shooters with my reloads. 85582761-24D4-4784-B304-DA8833FAC954.thumb.jpeg.6e53d6be4e785760aa0d07c1179e8c16.jpeg

If you ever decide you are tired of oogling them you let me know  :)

MS

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Orion Jim said:

A brace of Winchester lever action rifles. One is a Model 1892 with a four digit serial number placing it in the first year of production. It is in .38 W.C.F. also known as .38-40. On the right is a Model 1894 in .32 Winchester Special which was first offered in that caliber in October of 1901. This example was produced in 1901. 

Both are in fine working order and are accurate shooters with my reloads. 85582761-24D4-4784-B304-DA8833FAC954.thumb.jpeg.6e53d6be4e785760aa0d07c1179e8c16.jpeg

Nice pair.  My father gave me his 1894 in .32 Win Spl when I turned twelve; took my first deer with it.  I owned it for over half a century before giving it to his only grandson a few years ago, along with his other hunting rifles that I inherited.  Some of the female descendants and their husbands were a little chuffed, but I didn't give a damn.  Tradition.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, RedTuna said:

 Some of the female descendants and their husbands were a little chuffed, but I didn't give a damn.  Tradition.

I have a little Henry Lever Action 22 that everybody loves to shoot!

My father died 20 years ago. It took over 10 years for my brother/executor to actually send me my inherited and agreed upon guns/heirlooms. The douche also sold (and kept all proceeds) the 100+ year old lever action 30-06 (had a saddle ring on it!) cause he's not a rifle guy, while he continues to horde the 5 antique flint lock rifles.... 

There is still angst from the the cunt-in-law over who got what!!

You can pick your friends but not your family.....

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Liquid said:

I have a little Henry Lever Action 22 that everybody loves to shoot!

My father died 20 years ago. It took over 10 years for my brother/executor to actually send me my inherited and agreed upon guns/heirlooms. The douche also sold (and kept all proceeds) the 100+ year old lever action 30-06 (had a saddle ring on it!) cause he's not a rifle guy, while he continues to horde the 5 antique flint lock rifles.... 

There is still angst from the the cunt-in-law over who got what!!

You can pick your friends but not your family.....

 

That really sucks.  And your brother.  Fuck.  Sorry dude!

I hope Ruger can resurrect the Marlin lever guns.  It would be fun to see what they could do in Dogballs.

My nephew was gifted his grandpas M1 Garand.  I didnt mind as it is my wife's family, but I told her to tell the nephew to call me before he sells it. 
She said, "He loves that rifle.  He will never sell it."
"Just tell him...."

MS

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Liquid said:

I have a little Henry Lever Action 22 that everybody loves to shoot!

My father died 20 years ago. It took over 10 years for my brother/executor to actually send me my inherited and agreed upon guns/heirlooms. The douche also sold (and kept all proceeds) the 100+ year old lever action 30-06 (had a saddle ring on it!) cause he's not a rifle guy, while he continues to horde the 5 antique flint lock rifles.... 

There is still angst from the the cunt-in-law over who got what!!

You can pick your friends but not your family.....

 

Jeepers…..I’m always amazed at these stories. Family……

So the late Mrs PB’s mom passes away and just a couple days later the two older sisters and the poor brother (oldest of all of them) who was the executor and Mrs PB are sitting in the house talking about the distribution of things not specifically called out in the will. The sisters are squabbling over this sofa and that chair while the brother is trying to referee. I’m watching Mrs PB sitting silently but simmering…….I know the signs. Finally she stands up and says we’re leaving. They say but we’re not done. Mrs PB says….oh yes we are. Keep whatever you want…..we’re going sailing. So we did and quietly threw the flowers from her moms funeral wreath……one by one……into the wake of the boat slipping silently through the water except for the sound of the water along the hull. I was so proud of her. That was a good day. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Point Break said:

…They say but we’re not done. Mrs PB says….oh yes we are. Keep whatever you want…..we’re going sailing. So we did and quietly threw the flowers from her moms funeral wreath……one by one……into the wake of the boat slipping silently through the water except for the sound of the water along the hull. I was so proud of her. That was a good day. 

Slow clap, Mrs. PB.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Slow clap, Mrs. PB.    

She was a truly remarkable woman…….as is the current Mrs PB. I cannot believe I have been so fortunate to have two unbelievably remarkable women in my life. So lucky…..so lucky.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2021 at 8:50 PM, Lochnerian Tom said:

I have a little Rossi with 17 HMR and .410 barrels, but I almost never use the shotgun barrel. It's a kid's gun, so pretty tiny and light. I put a crappy scope on it and it's great fun. If you hit an orange just right with a 17 HMR, it explodes in a cloud of mist.

That does sound like fun Tom. Ever tried sailing?

Link to post
Share on other sites