Jump to content

What's in your arsenal??


Recommended Posts

Thank you for your thoughts, gents.

17 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

They're not mine - they're the Clan's

I'm working on setting up a Trust to do that same.

 

16 hours ago, IStream said:

 ,,, or too pretty to worry about in the field

We are doing composite.

( in the Pacific North Wetside,, it does the "R" word  during huntin' seasons)

One of my friends got a T3 in the fall,  and I got to fondle it ,   very very nice.

3 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

,,, but .308 is maybe not the best choice for a first fudgun.  ,,,

Depending on how old the grandson is

I was  born into a Clan that "start's 'em young".

4 or 5 when my dad first started teaching me.

I was riding behind the saddle, hunting, at 5 or 6

:) I even got out of school for a whole week )

Probably when I was 8 or 9,  one day my Dad got to "the spot"  and set the rifle on a log, and told _ME_ to get behind it.

"Uncle is 'pushing' the back of that ridge, so the buck will come over that saddle".

I was TERRIFIED that I would fugitup,  but the buck didn't come over.

At 11, another buck did, and I managed to not fugitup.

 

I started Son  at 5,  and  Grandson about the same.

He is comfortable with any of the AR stuff & ran my rifal at 8 or 9

I had to look in my phone to see when son had grandson at a range, ( Sep 2018)  and wanted to get  "video for Gramps" of him shooting .50 muzzleloader. 

 After I watched it a few times, took note of recoil, and asked my Son, "That didn't look like a "little kid load".

" Nope,, full charge & 350gr bullet"

He has been  archery hunting with my Son since 7 or 8, witnessed a kill, and had no issue with the field dress.

 

We are shooting closer than prarie dog and antelope ranges, and target Blacktail & Elk,

Arsenal already includes a cowboy gun and up to .30 belted mags.

Already set up with dies & etc. 

 

Last year before hunting season, my 5'7"  was still  1/2 inch taller.

This year he's a full inch taller.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have two Winchester Model 94's. These are part of my families history. The top one was my dads high school graduation present from 1948. It is a .32 Special. When i was young, he always promise

In wouldn't necessarily call myself a "placid" driver.  But I usually don't go out of my way to instigate confrontations either.  However, this one day on the way home from work on a fairly open fast

and some orthere stuffe to.                                    

Posted Images

I have the urge to buy a pistol caliber lever action (357 mag or 44 mag) - just for fun, targets at the range etc. It's easy enough to get a new one, but I feel like I want something with a bit of character and some use - at least enough use that the action is silky smooth, and the wood does not look like it popped off a CNC machine in the last month. The local gun shops carry new firearms and I'm not comfortable buying used online without inspecting it - plus there's the paperwork hassle. What are the other options?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

I have the urge to buy a pistol caliber lever action (357 mag or 44 mag) - just for fun, targets at the range etc. It's easy enough to get a new one, but I feel like I want something with a bit of character and some use - at least enough use that the action is silky smooth, and the wood does not look like it popped off a CNC machine in the last month. The local gun shops carry new firearms and I'm not comfortable buying used online without inspecting it - plus there's the paperwork hassle. What are the other options?

WS; Lots to unpack:

1)  I've been fairly happy buying used - I usually insist on a three day inspection period and use an FFL/ gunsmith/ gunstore as kind of an informal broker and to do the inspection. Buyers and sellers on online sites such as gunbroker.com are VERY protective of their ratings, so they try to do things very right.  It's been a while - so things may have changed. 

2)  Pistol caliber lever action carbines are the bread and butter of the Cowboy Action Shooters. Check SASSnet.com for any Cowboy clubs in your area. 

3)  There are a lot of levers to chose from. My favorites are the Uberti clones of the Winchester 1866 and 1873 - very slick, fast and spendy. Winchester 1892s and 1894s are very nice, but very pricy.  You can get clones - but their quality is all over the map. My absolute favorite is a pre-Remington (pre-2006) Marlin 1894C in 38/357; an absolutely brilliant little carbine. Accurate, reliable, easy to work on, and pleasant to shoot. It was my first centerfire lever; I liked it so much, Charlotte took it via Eminent Domain. So I got a Uberti '66 as my SASS whip.  Cowboy gunsmiths can slick up the levers for a reasonable amount.  

The Marlin 1894 does come chambered in 44 and 45 LC, but I prefer the 357s.  

Be careful - Levers are addicting.  ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2021 at 12:15 PM, Mr. Squirrel said:

Now to begin the long wait for my tax stamps  :/

Silencer Co Sparrow and Omega 9k.  I hate waiting....

MS

The new system is supposed to be 60 days for turn around.  Allegedly.

 

I just got a stamp back, 434 days from when I stopped at the dealer and paid for everything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2022 at 5:26 AM, Charlie Foxtrot said:

The Marlin 1894 does come chambered in 44 and 45 LC, but I prefer the 357s.  

Be careful - Levers are addicting.  ;)

I've got an 1894cs around here somewhere and it's always been fun to shoot.  Bought it years ago, used, they've made a zillion of them and they pop up from time to time if you prefer one with character.

And, yeah, levers are definitely fun.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, sledracr said:

I've got an 1894cs around here somewhere and it's always been fun to shoot.  Bought it years ago, used, they've made a zillion of them and they pop up from time to time if you prefer one with character.

And, yeah, levers are definitely fun.

I checked out gunbroker - which seems to have a lot of beautiful rifles cycling through all the time. I have "watched" a few that looked interesting, and watched them sail out of sight in price as the auction ended - these things (especially with "character") get spendy fast.

I kinda fell in love with an 1886 45-70 (which is not at all what I wanted) from 1908. Wow - people really open their wallets for old guns. Probably for the best, I can't afford the gun or the ammo to feed it. BTW - is there some informal limit on shooting old rifles (safety?) or does everyone just keep them unfired because they don't want to put mileage on an heirloom? I want something I can shoot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites


WS, if you like the 45-70 Gov't, God's Caliber, look at the Marlin 1895CB (Cowboy). I got a lightly used pre-Remington <spit> 1895CB long before things went bugshit nuts. Hella gun. It's my long-range SASS side-match whip.  

Marlin Model 1895CB .45-70 SN: 92039627

Sistership

Under Ruger's ownership, Marlin is now starting to once again produce levers. Their 1895 Guide Gun is supposed to be a thing o' beauty. M-1894s are also in the production pipeline, as are the 336s.  They're not going to be cheap, but they are going to be great.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

if you like the 45-70 Gov't, God's Caliber,

then go for a Sharp's falling block.  I like my Pedersoli.  They've even got one in .357/.38.

But I do regret not buying the >95% Winchester 1886 for only $1000 when I was standing in front of it some 15 years ago.  But I was at lunch with a co-worker and didn't want to leave it in my truck in the parking lot at work.  Gone when I got back to the LGS after work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RedTuna said:

then go for a Sharp's falling block.  I like my Pedersoli.  They've even got one in .357/.38.

But I do regret not buying the >95% Winchester 1886 for only $1000 when I was standing in front of it some 15 years ago.  But I was at lunch with a co-worker and didn't want to leave it in my truck in the parking lot at work.  Gone when I got back to the LGS after work.

You need to quickly riff off 10 405 gr Jovian Thunderbolts to appreciate the full impact of the 45-70.  

The last 3 were a bit hazy.  

I got behind a Sharps-Boreschardt 45-110 clone.  That ruined me for life for anything else in a Falling Block.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2022 at 8:40 PM, Wet Spreaders said:

I checked out gunbroker - which seems to have a lot of beautiful rifles cycling through all the time. I have "watched" a few that looked interesting, and watched them sail out of sight in price as the auction ended - these things (especially with "character") get spendy fast.

I kinda fell in love with an 1886 45-70 (which is not at all what I wanted) from 1908. Wow - people really open their wallets for old guns. Probably for the best, I can't afford the gun or the ammo to feed it. BTW - is there some informal limit on shooting old rifles (safety?) or does everyone just keep them unfired because they don't want to put mileage on an heirloom? I want something I can shoot. 

I shoot both my Winchesters, an 1892 from 1892 and an 1894 from 1901 (although I found one reference which put it at 1904) with my reloads in RNL and reduced loads, not the minimum, but slightly above. I enjoy shooting them for kicks a couple times a year but it would be a shame to damage them at this point in their lives. I don’t believe in safe queens any more than I believe in garage queens. You only live once. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any of you guys ever hear of Churchill Shotguns? I have been out of the game for a long time, and it has changed a lot but in looking for a cheap 20 gauge  I found this in a semi auto, which would hopefully reduce the recoil enough for Mrs Nettles to be able to use it for home security.  Comes with a 28 inch spare barrel in addition to the 18.5 so she could practice on clay pigeons and presumably become somewhat more proficient and comfortable with it.

It is made in Turkey (Akka?) and reviews erratically.  Ring a bell with anyone?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mossberg SA-20 is very highly regarded.

639163_ts.jpg


Semiauto's are goofy enough that I'd be hesitant about some potentially sketchy Turkish splattergun. Especially, for one targeted for self-defense. 

However, the Churchill Side by Side gun are getting some very good notice in the Cowboy Action sport. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nettles, for your wife's defense, you might think about a pistol caliber carbine, like the Ruger PCC 9.  It's a real pussycat, very soft shooting, relatively quiet, the girlies love them, it's accurate and reliable, and brings up to 33 rounds of 9mm to the party.  1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Would anyone be interested in pictures and descriptions of .22 match rifles? I have a small collection of some nice examples from late 50's to present. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

 


Semiauto's are goofy enough that I'd be hesitant about some potentially sketchy Turkish splattergun. Especially, for one targeted for self-defense. 
 

This is exactly my concern.  I am inclined to believe that I am trying to check too many boxes at once, and I would be better off getting her used to a little more recoil in exchange for more reliability in a pump.  She had never fired a round until  a dozen years ago, and is still leery of firearms, though she very much enjoyed plinking away with a 22.  She was pretty good too.

There is going to have to be a lot of education and practice for her to feel comfortable.  This is for a vacation house, which is a long way from help in the fairly unlikely event of an intruder. In such a situation, I'm not sure even 33 rounds from the Ruger would find their way to the target, hence  the inclination for a blunderbuss tactical shotgun.  Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sporting clays - I've been invited out by a business colleague. We're not friends - he probably just wanted to win at something so he can brag to the admins. It's my first go at it and he practices, but he's generally badly co-ordinated and clumsy - all things being equal, I think I can beat him, although I really have no idea how he shoots. I bet he bought all the gear and will look the part dressed in whatever shit people dress in for gun-golf. Frankly, I'd like to kick his ass in front of his friends and I have the advantage of being a newbie, so no pressure. I know it's a childish dick-measuring contest and the smart move would be to let him win and be Mr. Political- so fucking sue me; I want to win.

Unfortunately, my shotgun is a bit hefty (Remington 870 Super Mag with 30" barrel and plastic furniture - probably weighs close to 9 lbs loaded). I can't recall the choke, but I think it's pretty tight. Should I even try with it or do I need to ask around and see who among my friends has something with low swing weight I can borrow? Any other sage advice? If I choose to use it, should I pick a specific load?

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Sporting clays - I've been invited out by a business colleague. We're not friends - he probably just wanted to win at something so he can brag to the admins. It's my first go at it and he practices, but he's generally badly co-ordinated and clumsy - all things being equal, I think I can beat him, although I really have no idea how he shoots. I bet he bought all the gear and will look the part dressed in whatever shit people dress in for gun-golf. Frankly, I'd like to kick his ass in front of his friends and I have the advantage of being a newbie, so no pressure. I know it's a childish dick-measuring contest and the smart move would be to let him win and be Mr. Political- so fucking sue me; I want to win.

Unfortunately, my shotgun is a bit hefty (Remington 870 Super Mag with 30" barrel and plastic furniture - probably weighs close to 9 lbs loaded). I can't recall the choke, but I think it's pretty tight. Should I even try with it or do I need to ask around and see who among my friends has something with low swing weight I can borrow? Any other sage advice? If I choose to use it, should I pick a specific load?

 

Dooooooood, you're being set up. 

Sporting Clays is a fiendish derivative of Trap and Skeet with some upland game shooting thrown in just for fun. You're going to be totally behind the power curve, as birds come from your left and right, fly high or just skim the brush, or even bounce along the ground. It's a total dick move to start out a NoooB cold on Sporting Clays. I'll bet the weasel looks forward to bragging to the Bossi that ol' Wettie didn't hit one bird!  

Still, we didn't get to be sailors by being realistic. I'd ask to try the Trap Fields first. But... failing that: A range with a Sporting Clay course will likely have a pro-shop that will rent you a proper over/under double or semiauto shotgun (your pump isn't going to do it). They might even have an instructor to take you through a Sporting Clays course so it won't all be new.  

Sporting Clays is hella fun - once you've got several years on the Skeet and Trap fields under your belt. 

Luck!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I shoot clays with the kid we swap between an O/U and a pump. My dad equated knowing how to shoot a pump to knowing how to drive a manual: it should be an entry level skill.

The O/U is my fav for clays though!

 

Basic shotty knowledge passed to me:

-Point it, don't aim it

-Follow through after you pull the trigger

 

Being new to clays, you will miss more than you will hit. It's good fun though!

Fuck the douche for the set up. Go out and have more fun than him!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Sporting clays - I've been invited out by a business colleague. We're not friends - he probably just wanted to win at something so he can brag to the admins. It's my first go at it and he practices, but he's generally badly co-ordinated and clumsy - all things being equal, I think I can beat him, although I really have no idea how he shoots. I bet he bought all the gear and will look the part dressed in whatever shit people dress in for gun-golf. Frankly, I'd like to kick his ass in front of his friends and I have the advantage of being a newbie, so no pressure. I know it's a childish dick-measuring contest and the smart move would be to let him win and be Mr. Political- so fucking sue me; I want to win.

Unfortunately, my shotgun is a bit hefty (Remington 870 Super Mag with 30" barrel and plastic furniture - probably weighs close to 9 lbs loaded). I can't recall the choke, but I think it's pretty tight. Should I even try with it or do I need to ask around and see who among my friends has something with low swing weight I can borrow? Any other sage advice? If I choose to use it, should I pick a specific load?

Demand, after all you're the rookie that has never done this, he shoot first at every station so you know what is being thrown.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I wrote upthread that I had been out of the game a while and things had changed a lot, I had no idea of the magnitude of my understatement.  Thanks to the internet and 3 consecutive days where no sane person would be outdoors, I have gained a little ground on a near vertical learning curve.  What little I have learned is pretty disheartening.  Colt Gone?  Remington ruined by the venture capitalists? Wtf?  I leave you guys alone for a minute....

So in chasing down a shotgun I start to narrow my sight picture down to a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870, in a pump.  But in trying to actually find one I am coming up badly wanting. Of course I am only using google and the interweb, and as I got deeper into it I discovered that an 870 is going to be a pretty rare bird for at least the forseeable future, so that was a waste of time.  Is there somewhere else I can look, or am I going to have to sit on my hands for a while? 

On the positive side, pawing through 2/3 of this thread has provided a few chuckles, a lot of education and a lot of respect for some of you who can really shoot and know wtf you are doing, as well as keeping me out of the single digit temps and 50 MPH winds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Nettles said:

When I wrote upthread that I had been out of the game a while and things had changed a lot, I had no idea of the magnitude of my understatement.  Thanks to the internet and 3 consecutive days where no sane person would be outdoors, I have gained a little ground on a near vertical learning curve.  What little I have learned is pretty disheartening.  Colt Gone?  Remington ruined by the venture capitalists? Wtf?  I leave you guys alone for a minute....

So in chasing down a shotgun I start to narrow my sight picture down to a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870, in a pump.  But in trying to actually find one I am coming up badly wanting. Of course I am only using google and the interweb, and as I got deeper into it I discovered that an 870 is going to be a pretty rare bird for at least the forseeable future, so that was a waste of time.  Is there somewhere else I can look, or am I going to have to sit on my hands for a while? 

On the positive side, pawing through 2/3 of this thread has provided a few chuckles, a lot of education and a lot of respect for some of you who can really shoot and know wtf you are doing, as well as keeping me out of the single digit temps and 50 MPH winds.

Patience is required. Everything firearm related has been in  short supply for the last years. Check with the major online vendors.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/

Palmetto is one of my favorites. I sure others will chime in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nettles said:

When I wrote upthread that I had been out of the game a while and things had changed a lot, I had no idea of the magnitude of my understatement.  Thanks to the internet and 3 consecutive days where no sane person would be outdoors, I have gained a little ground on a near vertical learning curve.  What little I have learned is pretty disheartening.  Colt Gone?  Remington ruined by the venture capitalists? Wtf?  I leave you guys alone for a minute....

So in chasing down a shotgun I start to narrow my sight picture down to a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870, in a pump.  But in trying to actually find one I am coming up badly wanting. Of course I am only using google and the interweb, and as I got deeper into it I discovered that an 870 is going to be a pretty rare bird for at least the forseeable future, so that was a waste of time.  Is there somewhere else I can look, or am I going to have to sit on my hands for a while? 

On the positive side, pawing through 2/3 of this thread has provided a few chuckles, a lot of education and a lot of respect for some of you who can really shoot and know wtf you are doing, as well as keeping me out of the single digit temps and 50 MPH winds.

Check with your LGS’s (Local Gun Store) and Pawn Shops for USED Remington 870’s!  As Charlie Foxtrot said somewhere back in the fold, the older ones are better!  The New Remington is starting to deliver new ones, but quality seems to be an issue. I took an old 870 Express Magnum, and turned it into a nice tactical unit.  
 

Midway USA does have the new 870 in stock. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2022 at 9:31 AM, Wet Spreaders said:

Sporting clays - I've been invited out by a business colleague. We're not friends - he probably just wanted to win at something so he can brag to the admins. It's my first go at it and he practices, but he's generally badly co-ordinated and clumsy - all things being equal, I think I can beat him, although I really have no idea how he shoots. I bet he bought all the gear and will look the part dressed in whatever shit people dress in for gun-golf. Frankly, I'd like to kick his ass in front of his friends and I have the advantage of being a newbie, so no pressure. I know it's a childish dick-measuring contest and the smart move would be to let him win and be Mr. Political- so fucking sue me; I want to win.

Unfortunately, my shotgun is a bit hefty (Remington 870 Super Mag with 30" barrel and plastic furniture - probably weighs close to 9 lbs loaded). I can't recall the choke, but I think it's pretty tight. Should I even try with it or do I need to ask around and see who among my friends has something with low swing weight I can borrow? Any other sage advice? If I choose to use it, should I pick a specific load?

Heavy isnt bad for sporting clays. Makes the swing a bit smoother. Pump guns are tough for clays as you need to take a quick second shot. Plus you are going to shoot 50-100 shells in a day. Heavy helps absorb some of that energy.
 

See if you can borrow a semi auto or an over under. Some clubs rent guns. Even better if you beat him with a rental.

Modified choke is a decent all around choke for clays. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Nettles said:

When I wrote upthread that I had been out of the game a while and things had changed a lot, I had no idea of the magnitude of my understatement.  Thanks to the internet and 3 consecutive days where no sane person would be outdoors, I have gained a little ground on a near vertical learning curve.  What little I have learned is pretty disheartening.  Colt Gone?  Remington ruined by the venture capitalists? Wtf?  I leave you guys alone for a minute....

So in chasing down a shotgun I start to narrow my sight picture down to a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870, in a pump.  But in trying to actually find one I am coming up badly wanting. Of course I am only using google and the interweb, and as I got deeper into it I discovered that an 870 is going to be a pretty rare bird for at least the forseeable future, so that was a waste of time.  Is there somewhere else I can look, or am I going to have to sit on my hands for a while? 

On the positive side, pawing through 2/3 of this thread has provided a few chuckles, a lot of education and a lot of respect for some of you who can really shoot and know wtf you are doing, as well as keeping me out of the single digit temps and 50 MPH winds.

Look into the beretta nova. Very reliable pump. Mossberg 500 is a good gun too 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Yeebus.  Is it possible to have too much of a good thing?   

I will say that running around through a course-of-fire with one of those is "interesting".  It's a lot of weight (think: 1-1/4 boxes of ammo hanging off the bottom of the PCC), plus canting the gun (e.g., around the edge of a wall) can require some planning.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sledracr said:

I will say that running around through a course-of-fire with one of those is "interesting".  It's a lot of weight (think: 1-1/4 boxes of ammo hanging off the bottom of the PCC), plus canting the gun (e.g., around the edge of a wall) can require some planning.

Yah.  ;)   Kinda a range toy?  Like SB's Magpul drum. In a fit of credit card enabled stupidity, I bought one of those things.  Although it feeds flawlessly, the amount of pain it takes to load the damn thing means it'll stay in my "Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time" box.  

That's the very full box in the back of the closet.   

Currently, I sport a chest rig with room for 6 Happy Sticks. Why on earth would I need 231 rounds on tap is a very good question.  Prolly "Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time" again.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ruger P89DC 9mm Luger. Bought this new in 1993 when it was the standard sidearm of the State Police. Came with two 16 round mags at that time, now not available to civilians. 
This is a double-action pistol but can also be used in the single-action mode. The decocking lever allows you to safely drop the hammer while blocking the firing pin. It can then be fired in double-action since a round has already been chambered.
 

C9D24E8A-48C7-415F-965F-F3C5ED54A0AD.thumb.jpeg.5f5b8a52b88985e831c97d89ad2fbffa.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Yah.  ;)   Kinda a range toy?  Like SB's Magpul drum. In a fit of credit card enabled stupidity, I bought one of those things.  Although it feeds flawlessly, the amount of pain it takes to load the damn thing means it'll stay in my "Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time" box.  

That's the very full box in the back of the closet.   

Currently, I sport a chest rig with room for 6 Happy Sticks. Why on earth would I need 231 rounds on tap is a very good question.  Prolly "Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time" again.  

My credit card has been pretty safe with Hairgel’s Rules.  Got a bunch of 10 round mags to fit into the Glock 17 grip!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, silent bob said:

My credit card has been pretty safe with Hairgel’s Rules.  Got a bunch of 10 round mags to fit into the Glock 17 grip!  

That's great!  

Mein brudder reports that ammo availability in Kali is better, but the cost is still astronomical.  

Out here in Floriduh, I bought 500 primers, at 10 cents each, and felt lucky to do that...  Insane.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2022 at 6:02 AM, Charlie Foxtrot said:


WS, if you like the 45-70 Gov't, God's Caliber, look at the Marlin 1895CB (Cowboy). I got a lightly used pre-Remington <spit> 1895CB long before things went bugshit nuts. Hella gun. It's my long-range SASS side-match whip.  

Marlin Model 1895CB .45-70 SN: 92039627

Sistership

Under Ruger's ownership, Marlin is now starting to once again produce levers. Their 1895 Guide Gun is supposed to be a thing o' beauty. M-1894s are also in the production pipeline, as are the 336s.  They're not going to be cheap, but they are going to be great.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the range etiquette for a lever action? Obviously unloaded when heading to or from the firing line, but walking with the action open seems cumbersome (lever dangling below the trigger etc). Never paid much attention before.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

What's the range etiquette for a lever action? Obviously unloaded when heading to or from the firing line, but walking with the action open seems cumbersome (lever dangling below the trigger etc). Never paid much attention before.

Lever (and action) open, fingers nowhere near the trigger, and barrel pointed straight up with the muzzle above your head.   Very rarely the range will require the gun to be pointed down. 

Good on you for asking.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2022 at 3:48 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Stickeng withe firste choise........                 :)

Then yer good

unless they come at you with a mighty(er) pen

G1489DOPenRedDragon_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1601678450

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2022 at 6:00 AM, Nettles said:

There is going to have to be a lot of education and practice for her to feel comfortable.  This is for a vacation house, which is a long way from help in the fairly unlikely event of an intruder. In such a situation, I'm not sure even 33 rounds from the Ruger would find their way to the target, hence  the inclination for a blunderbuss tactical shotgun.  Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Nettles, as a SASS Cowboy Action Shooter, and I can tell you just how damn easy it is to miss a man-sized target from just a few yards away with a 12 ga, 18”, cylinder-bore, modern @#$%^&* shotgun. The splattergun has to be aimed, despite what the internet commandos say. With it’s limited 5 to 8 round capacity, the tactical shotgun is really hamstrung as a self defense weapon.

My choice for home-defense is the Ruger PPC 9; an extremely reliable, handy, soft shooting, accurate, high capacity carbine (multi-intruder home invasions are on the rise); it meets all my needs, for a good price and it’s backed by an extremely customer-focused company. However, the joy of the Ruger PCC is that it’s really just a jumped-up Ruger 10/22, ‘Murica’s favorite dogballs. (If you don’t have one of the little Rugers, you should correct that tremendous lack ASAP.) Anybody who’s shot a 10/22 will find the RPCC’s feel, balance, controls and operating procedures friendly and familiar. As my wife knows the 10/22, she can be in the fight too, instead of being on the phone, pre-filing a life insurance claim on me.

https://americanhandgunner.com/discover/training-tips/the-pistol-caliber-carbine-for-defense/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm - here's a conundrum... I've been offered a 1873 44-40 Winchester lever action. The guy selling it never fired it, but it appears to be in working order with a clean bore with visible rifling. If I buy a rifle, I want to shoot it. Not often, but a few rounds a couple of times a year at the range with friends. What I'm worrying about is ammo. This age gun was designed for black powder. You can buy 44-40 ammo now (with Winchester written on it, as well as other brands). Can I assume that a 2021 44-40 shell will be safe in an 1873 rifle (manufactured in 1885) or am I digging myself a money pit that includes learning to reload ancient brass and worrying about whether I did that right etc...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Hmmm - here's a conundrum... I've been offered a 1873 44-40 Winchester lever action. The guy selling it never fired it, but it appears to be in working order with a clean bore with visible rifling. If I buy a rifle, I want to shoot it. Not often, but a few rounds a couple of times a year at the range with friends. What I'm worrying about is ammo. This age gun was designed for black powder. You can buy 44-40 ammo now (with Winchester written on it, as well as other brands). Can I assume that a 2021 44-40 shell will be safe in an 1873 rifle (manufactured in 1885) or am I digging myself a money pit that includes learning to reload ancient brass and worrying about whether I did that right etc...

 

Oh, gawd! Drop what you're doing and buy the dang thing!  NOW! 

I've got a 1866 Yellowboy Spaghetti Clone, the predecessor to the 1873. It's a huge amount of fun. To have an authentic Winchester....

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition/rifle-ammo/cowboy-action-ammo-44-40-winchester-200gr-round-nose-flat-point-prod103315.aspx

http://www.black-hills.com/product-category/cowboy-ammo/

These are somewhat lighter loads that should be respectful of your old warrior. Black Hills ammo is VERY good.  

And reloading isn't hard, nor does it have to be expensive, and it's very rewarding.  

You still here?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

My choice for home-defense is the Ruger PPC 9; an extremely reliable, handy, soft shooting, accurate, high capacity carbine (multi-intruder home invasions are on the rise); it meets all my needs...

https://americanhandgunner.com/discover/training-tips/the-pistol-caliber-carbine-for-defense/

Many of the same reasons my home defense weapon of choice is my CZ Scorpion. I have a 35 Rd mag full of 124 gr Federal HST hollow points. The firearm is fully ambi and for a leftie like me that is nice.

MS

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

They are pretty damn neat. It was a tough choice, but my ol' wrist just wasn't flexible enough use that highly raked pistol grip comfortably. I understand Magpul now has a line of furniture for the CZ.   

Got a can on it?  Replacing the faux suppressor on the carbine with a real one would be very sweet.  

Damn - discontinued:  Magpul Edition
/

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

They are pretty damn neat. It was a tough choice, but my ol' wrist just wasn't flexible enough use that highly raked pistol grip comfortably. I understand Magpul now has a line of furniture for the CZ.   

Got a can on it?  Replacing the faux suppressor on the carbine with a real one would be very sweet.  

Damn - discontinued:  Magpul Edition
/

I am still waiting on a stamp for an Omega 9k.  The first thing I did was swap out the grip and the safety selector. This is an older pic with a 20 round mag.

51833949682_aab6635240_k.jpg

MS

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Orion Jim said:

Ruger Blackhawk .44 Rem. Mag. “Flat Top” 50th Anniversary Model bought new in 06. Still unfired for no particular reason. Soon to remedy that imperfection….

82792FB4-F840-4568-A51A-01EEC61B3089.thumb.jpeg.bf4c1ca39036195ec64a2d3b766a8cf9.jpeg

Not to be an ass, that's a given, but there's an unfired 50th Anniversary Super Blackhawk on Gun Broke for $1300.  I do see the Ruger Ring, so your pistol is in a more desirable condition.  

Jes' Sayin'  

50th Anniversary Super Blackhawk-img-2


BTW: I'm about to go out by the pond and try out the suppressed pistol.  Squee!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

 

Watching the games and catching up on some YT channels I watched Garand Thumb's most recent video mud torturing a nice collection of assault rifles. 

He gets very happy about a Knights Armament SR-15 FDE, which looks like a run of the mill AR variant with an ambi everything lower (safety/mag/bolt), nothing earth shattering... 

 

So, I tab over to gunbroker and there's one, "untouched", in the carrying case, shipping box and all #s match for a mere $8,000!!!

Not even a carbon barrel... $8K?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/922557561

WTF? Is that a bot? 

Seriously, it's an AR-15 variant in 5.56 - soon to be an 'old military round'.... 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2022 at 3:13 PM, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Oh, gawd! Drop what you're doing and buy the dang thing!  NOW! 

I've got a 1866 Yellowboy Spaghetti Clone, the predecessor to the 1873. It's a huge amount of fun. To have an authentic Winchester....

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition/rifle-ammo/cowboy-action-ammo-44-40-winchester-200gr-round-nose-flat-point-prod103315.aspx

http://www.black-hills.com/product-category/cowboy-ammo/

These are somewhat lighter loads that should be respectful of your old warrior. Black Hills ammo is VERY good.  

And reloading isn't hard, nor does it have to be expensive, and it's very rewarding.  

You still here?

 

except there are NO Primers to be found !!!!

less you can find some  ?????????

Link to post
Share on other sites

20220206_153547.thumb.jpg.7dbb2887aceff8b01b74a62694ae6663.jpgjust picked up a SWISS ARMY RIFLE

slightly used, always cared for

15 round 8mm

the Pokey bit on the end is stuck in a Stone in the Alps

 

20220206_153706.jpg

20220206_153607.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

20220206_153547.thumb.jpg.7dbb2887aceff8b01b74a62694ae6663.jpgjust picked up a SWISS ARMY RIFLE

slightly used, always cared for

15 round 8mm

the Pokey bit on the end is stuck in a Stone in the Alps

 

20220206_153706.jpg

20220206_153607.jpg

 

20220206_153321.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently FN has had to recall many of their FN502 Dogballs. The wait continues... Meanwhile all the YouTube Shills keep telling everyone how great it is. Pisses me off really that FN seems more concerned with having the YTers pimp a handgun that currently NO ONE can buy.

MS

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

Apparently FN has had to recall many of their FN502 Dogballs. The wait continues... Meanwhile all the YouTube Shills keep telling everyone how great it is. Pisses me off really that FN seems more concerned with having the YTers pimp a handgun that currently NO ONE can buy.

MS

My friend got a Sig Sauer P365xl Romeozero a while ago.  Now, they come out with the P365 Spectre Comp.  But, it’s almost $1100, without a RDS, that’s another $400+!  

 

I can’t say I wouldn’t want one in my safe!  
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, silent bob said:

My friend got a Sig Sauer P365xl Romeozero a while ago.  Now, they come out with the P365 Spectre Comp.  But, it’s almost $1100, without a RDS, that’s another $400+!  

 

I can’t say I wouldn’t want one in my safe!  
 

 

Oooohhhhhh, gold colored trigger and barrel... squeee! For ONLY $1100!  For a carry gun - one of the harshest environments. Where the accepted doctrine has the pistol being shot twice very close to the carrier's body - putting hot gases right in the armpit and face.

SIG has lost their minds. And will make a flippin' fortune. 

 ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t care for the look of the titanium nitride coating on the barrel and trigger but it is a durable hard coating so they have some justification for its use other than the bling factor. We used to coat the cutting inserts with titanium nitride for applications where we were cutting some of the exotic metals used in jet engines. Back in the nineties it was a very expensive coating process and inserts were disbursed on a one-for-one basis, new for used only. Our competition didn’t need to know the details of our machining processes nor the tooling applications. 
 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Orion Jim said:

I don’t care for the look of the titanium nitride coating on the barrel and trigger but it is a durable hard coating so they have some justification for its use other than the bling factor. We used to coat the cutting inserts with titanium nitride for applications where we were cutting some of the exotic metals used in jet engines. 

Meownself, I like the black nitride finish for its wear resistance, slickness -- and ease of cleaning.  First time I used an oily rag to wipe clean a gunked up BCG, I was hooked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2022 at 10:02 AM, Orion Jim said:

I don’t care for the look of the titanium nitride coating on the barrel and trigger but it is a durable hard coating so they have some justification for its use other than the bling factor. We used to coat the cutting inserts with titanium nitride for applications where we were cutting some of the exotic metals used in jet engines. Back in the nineties it was a very expensive coating process and inserts were disbursed on a one-for-one basis, new for used only. Our competition didn’t need to know the details of our machining processes nor the tooling applications. 
 

 

Agree about the bling factor.

We used a lot of those cutters too.

 

On the other hand, titanium nitride might be really good inside the chamber/bore

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2021 at 10:45 PM, Mr. Squirrel said:

I like the (Vortex) cartridge 10 minute talks too.  Ryan Muckenhirn is shocking in his knowledge...

 

Just heard Ryan described as "Muckipedia". 

Thankfully, I had just swallowed my rum.  ;)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Proneshooter said:

DSC00207.thumb.jpg.4705bacb531c2eed8949fe3e7297534b.jpg

I saw a guy get hit with a golf ball last year……..he went down like a sack of potato’s. Didn’t kill him but he cried like a rat eating onions. I thought it was a little over dramatized……..

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Ah, the Trials and Tribulations of building a "Ghost Gun":

Went to install my hard won .750" Low Profile Clamp-On Gas Block, and found the external barrel diameter at the gas port to actually be .625", despite what the vendor had published.  FML.  If there is one thing harder to find than a Fixed .750" Low Profile Clamp-On Gas Block, it's one in .625". 

Did eventually find one at a surplus dealer for too much money and too long of a shipping time.  Oil Well. 

What this is to say is that building a functional "Ghost Gun" involves a LOT more time, expense, tools and skills than what our leaders and media would have you believe. In addition, the possible lack of a serial number is a minuscule point being obsessed upon, as tracing the chain of firearm owners through the serial number is VERY rarely done.  And anyway, "Ghost Guns" (as a made up term, the definition is extremely loose and variable) are involved in only about a third of one percent of the crimes. 

It's the Criminal and not the Gun responsible for the crime. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2022 at 12:16 AM, Point Break said:

I saw a guy get hit with a golf ball last year……..he went down like a sack of potato’s. Didn’t kill him but he cried like a rat eating onions. I thought it was a little over dramatized……..

Golfer...

;)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2022 at 12:16 AM, Point Break said:

I saw a guy get hit with a golf ball last year……..he went down like a sack of potato’s. Didn’t kill him but he cried like a rat eating onions. I thought it was a little over dramatized……..

Who niewe rats our dramactic in theiire sufferage......             

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2022 at 12:16 AM, Point Break said:

I saw a guy get hit with a golf ball last year……..he went down like a sack of potato’s. Didn’t kill him but he cried like a rat eating onions. I thought it was a little over dramatized……..

 

Perhaps crash helmets are advisable for golfers??

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2022 at 12:16 AM, Point Break said:

I saw a guy get hit with a golf ball last year……..he went down like a sack of potato’s. Didn’t kill him but he cried like a rat eating onions. I thought it was a little over dramatized……..

I only cry on the course when I don't drive it past the women's tee...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Ah, the Trials and Tribulations of building a "Ghost Gun":

Went to install my hard won .750" Low Profile Clamp-On Gas Block, and found the external barrel diameter at the gas port to actually be .625", despite what the vendor had published.  FML.  If there is one thing harder to find than a Fixed .750" Low Profile Clamp-On Gas Block, it's one in .625". 

Did eventually find one at a surplus dealer for too much money and too long of a shipping time.  Oil Well. 

What this is to say is that building a functional "Ghost Gun" involves a LOT more time, expense, tools and skills than what our leaders and media would have you believe. In addition, the possible lack of a serial number is a minuscule point being obsessed upon, as tracing the chain of firearm owners through the serial number is VERY rarely done.  And anyway, "Ghost Guns" (as a made up term, the definition is extremely loose and variable) are involved in only about a third of one percent of the crimes. 

It's the Criminal and not the Gun responsible for the crime. 

Too bad the politicians and citizenship continually fail to grasp this point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pbd said:

Too bad the politicians and citizenship continually choose to ignore this fact for political gain

FIFY

The facts are many, including
-- law-biding gun owners are not the problem
-- criminals don't typically build guns, they steal them (which is, uh, a crime)
-- building your own gun has never been illegal for law-abiding people
-- serial numbers are only required to *sell* a gun you built, and
-- the focus on "kits" is just stupid.  The truth is that a talented machinist can take a block of aluminum and build a lower-receiver quite easily.   Nothing is going to prevent that.  What are they going to do, declare that a block of aluminum is a "potential firearm" and require serial-number and background check?!?  

Feh.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sledracr said:

FIFY

The facts are many, including
-- law-biding gun owners are not the problem
-- criminals don't typically build guns, they steal them (which is, uh, a crime)
-- building your own gun has never been illegal for law-abiding people
-- serial numbers are only required to *sell* a gun you built, and
-- the focus on "kits" is just stupid.  The truth is that a talented machinist can take a block of aluminum and build a lower-receiver quite easily.   Nothing is going to prevent that.  What are they going to do, declare that a block of aluminum is a "potential firearm" and require serial-number and background check?!?  

Feh.

Good points.  
 

There was a Maker Shoot late last year featuring firearms made by the competitors. There were a bunch of AR lowers machined in kitchen table CNC mills using code found on the web. There were several 3D printed ARs using no materials other than what could be found at Home Depot. Most importantly, the technology is improving exponentially. 
 

Can’t Stop the Freedom, Mal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I only cry on the course when I don't drive it past the women's tee...

I’ve had days when I can throw my driver farther than I can hit the ball with it…….I’m not making that up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I’ve had days when I can throw my driver farther than I can hit the ball with it…….I’m not making that up.

You're not swinging hard enough.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I only cry on the course when I don't drive it past the women's tee...

I can only relate what Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill opined;

"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range."

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

I can only relate what Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill opined;

"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range."

A good walk spoiled..

Link to post
Share on other sites