Everglades Challenge 2020

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It has been an incredibly long and sad day to be a Tribe member today.  Not good news, which you all already know.  Like BravoBravo I had been glued to the tracker as Sailorman wandered farther and fa

I'll have more to say at length later. First of all, everyone is crushed by the apparent loss of Sailorman. I do think the fact that he didn't signal that he was having problems is indicative of somet

Sorry to hear that they have not found Sailorman. But before this turns into Manifestly Unsafe Voyage Anarchy, how about a few pics from yesterday? Zippy just off Everglades City:

Posted Images

3 hours ago, CatFive said:

Maybe I need to step up my 3 day goal time. Just kidding, finish rates for solo catamaran are not great, I'll take a  slow finishing time over a speedy dnf

if you are solo, scale it back.  Caution is the word for the event for you.  In 2014 I finished in under 3 days 2 up in a Lightning.  I should have gone to the hospital after.  Dehydrated, sleep deprived, physically spent.  After finishing I felt terrible for about 24 hours but tried to power through.  Then the fever hit.  I drank 2 liters of water and slept for 10 hours.  After that I mostly recovered.  Enough to socialize with friends and make the awards.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TBW said:

I think the fastest boats are often beach cats.

Over on one of the other pages one of the guys did an analysis of a bunch of different statististics and I beleive one of the conclusions was the highest finish rate was actually on kayaks.  Can't remember which class of kayaks was highest, I think they were all pretty good.

I would like to try all the classes, but that would be an expensive experiment.  I have done class 5, this year I am entered class 1.  For 2022 I have already started dreaming up a class 3, but who knows what will happen between now and then.

MisterMoon?  He and I did the '16 race together.  He was my mentor before the first EC I attempted in 2013. he is tremendously knowledgable.  

• Like 2
11 hours ago, TBW said:

I would like to try all the classes, but that would be an expensive experiment.  I have done class 5, this year I am entered class 1.  For 2022 I have already started dreaming up a class 3, but who knows what will happen between now and then.

Let me know when you get around to Class 6. The low and narrow bridge at CP1 used to make sailboats more of a challenge but now I'm more interested in alternative power.

There are two "mistake" hulls for my friend's Cowmaran. 27' long and weigh almost nothing. Also, can support almost nothing, which is why they were never used. But they'd support a deck with a couple of Mirage Drive wells. A pylon would hold a kite. There's tons of surface area for solar panels. I've been trying to talk my friend into making a Mirage drive/kite/electric adventure boat but I don't think it's going to happen.

10 hours ago, CatFive said:

Maybe I need to step up my 3 day goal time. Just kidding, finish rates for solo catamaran are not great, I'll take a  slow finishing time over a speedy dnf

Just take your time. Sail close to shore. I suffered hypothermia in 2012 on my Hobie 18. So disoriented I did not realize I was 25-30 miles offshore @ Marco Island.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

Let me know when you get around to Class 6. The low and narrow bridge at CP1 used to make sailboats more of a challenge but now I'm more interested in alternative power.

Oh, I forgot about that one.  Price of lithium batteries to come down a lot for that. 

22 hours ago, CatFive said:

That looks like a good sized solar panel. Got a beer fridge?

Keep the beer fridge, I would rather have an autopilot :D

Beer is too heavy. You need at least 80 proof to be competitive. B)

One time I had a bottle of "Wish-key" materialize in the lazarette when we stopped at Flamingo which was much appreciated. There there was the time someone tried to sabotage us at the start by weighing us down with a couple of giant prehistoric avocados right before we pushed off the beach. 

• Like 1

I have been watching Tampa wind finder and I am seeing a crazy amount of south wind in the forecast.  Any thoughts on the likelihood of those South winds extending to March 7?

9 hours ago, sail10338 said:

Last year started out with a light Southerly,  not fun. Took us 14 plus hours just to get to CP 1.

Over two weeks out, anything can happen. 

Fingers crossed for breeze!

AndyMan 

What he said.  I’ve learned not to trust any forecast even right up to the start.  Anything can happen. Here’s hoping for wind, too.  Last year we managed to sail about 25 miles before the wind died off Sarasota and had to human power about 30 miles the rest of the way to the first CP some 18 hours after the start.  

On 2/13/2020 at 3:30 PM, MisterMoon said:

Beer is too heavy. You need at least 80 proof to be competitive. B)

One time I had a bottle of "Wish-key" materialize in the lazarette when we stopped at Flamingo which was much appreciated. There there was the time someone tried to sabotage us at the start by weighing us down with a couple of giant prehistoric avocados right before we pushed off the beach. 

Hah! No avocados to hand out but I'll probably have a stash of delicious tangelos to help ward off the scurvy this year. Speck Tater will be somewhere near Stump Pass, just look for the annoying drone overhead and the giant yellow Bimini top.

Inspired by all the Derby training posts, I'm taking an overnight trip down the harbor tomorrow to shake things down and make sure I can live in comfort, eat well, and charge all my electronical devices when the time comes. Last year a certain Wish Key purveyor met me at Anna Maria to loan me an inverter, one of several things I would have discovered on a shake down.

What are those little things they grow in California anyway? A real avocado has a seed that big!

megacado.jpg

16 hours ago, sail10338 said:

Rollers Inflated...

Rollers.jpg

I don't know if if you've ever had to right that beast, but it may behave differently capsized with that floatation secured down low. I'm not saying it would be worse, but probably different from before

3 hours ago, CatFive said:

I don't know if if you've ever had to right that beast, but it may behave differently capsized with that floatation secured down low. I'm not saying it would be worse, but probably different from before

I have to think the rollers displacing water in the event of a capsize would be the primary benefit. 

AndyMan 

15 hours ago, sail10338 said:
19 hours ago, CatFive said:

I have to think the rollers displacing water in the event of a capsize would be the primary benefit. 

AndyMan 

I've never dealt with a Highlander capsize, but I have with Flying Scots several times. Any flotation will help. Flotation up around the gun'ls will help the most with it's behavior while capsized and then swamped. I'd be concerned that the buoyancy down low will not hold the boat stable.

The real key is to provide enough buoyancy that the boat has a safe margin of freeboard, so that the crew can re-board and get it pumped out and underway. You've got to hold the boat high enough in the water for the centerboard case to be above water, and that takes a lot of buoyancy.

FB- Doug

34 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

Welcoming any meteorological prognostiguessers to share their thoughts on the forecasts as we get closer to March 7.  Here’s hoping for a fast and safe race.  

The longest range forecast I am seeing right now is march 3.  Straight out of the south.  20 gusting to 30.  Pretty much anything would be better than that.

2 hours ago, TBW said:

The longest range forecast I am seeing right now is march 3.  Straight out of the south.  20 gusting to 30.  Pretty much anything would be better than that.

Agreed, but done that before and survived. It’s a hard way to go though. My perception of the long range GFS models is it mostly overestimates wind velocities by a lot.  I really won’t start looking at it until this weekend and even then it’s a crapshoot on accuracy. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I've never dealt with a Highlander capsize, but I have with Flying Scots several times. Any flotation will help. Flotation up around the gun'ls will help the most with it's behavior while capsized and then swamped. I'd be concerned that the buoyancy down low will not hold the boat stable.

The real key is to provide enough buoyancy that the boat has a safe margin of freeboard, so that the crew can re-board and get it pumped out and underway. You've got to hold the boat high enough in the water for the centerboard case to be above water, and that takes a lot of buoyancy.

FB- Doug

She's got a full bow bulkhead,  large seat tanks, a 1500 gph electric bilge pump,  rollers under the deck and a Hobie Masthead float....

Scots have very little flotation by comparison. 

Hope not to need any of it!

AndyMan 

• Like 2
On 2/24/2020 at 11:13 AM, sail10338 said:

She's got a full bow bulkhead,  large seat tanks, a 1500 gph electric bilge pump,  rollers under the deck and a Hobie Masthead float....

Scots have very little flotation by comparison. 

Hope not to need any of it!

AndyMan 

Biggest reason TwoBeers chopped up Frankenscot as it was a one (capsize) and done boat, even with the additional floatation.   Anybody else would have probably capsized at some point and the day would change from fun to survival if that happened.

- Stumbling

The weather is beginning to show up on the 10 day forecast, nothing severe, brisk NE breeze , moderate temperatures, but there will be brutal tides if you are going against them or caught in flows where the wind is against the tide

10 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

The weather is beginning to show up on the 10 day forecast, nothing severe, brisk NE breeze , moderate temperatures, but there will be brutal tides if you are going against them or caught in flows where the wind is against the tide

This got me curious. The only one that will matter to me is low tide in Lemon Bay around 8 am on Sunday.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

This got me curious. The only one that will matter to me is low tide in Lemon Bay around 8 am on Sunday.

well then crossing into Pine Island sounds ,if there is breeze, could be steep and slappy 

1 hour ago, BravoBravo said:

well then crossing into Pine Island sounds ,if there is breeze, could be steep and slappy 

Charlotte harbor is frequently pretty rough. 

Currrent forecast for Saturday and Sunday look good for as far as I'm likely to go those during those two days. NE to E winds 10 knots... My teammate this year has every beach bar and restaurant marked as a waypoint, so no telling how fast we'll go. But if it's sucking, pulling in for a burger and a beer could be attractive. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

Charlotte harbor is frequently pretty rough. 

Currrent forecast for Saturday and Sunday look good for as far as I'm likely to go those during those two days. NE to E winds 10 knots... My teammate this year has every beach bar and restaurant marked as a waypoint, so no telling how fast we'll go. But if it's sucking, pulling in for a burger and a beer could be attractive. 

I have been doing that research also.   Now that i am back in my home swamp and have recently been “boated”,  I will be looking forward to scouting this year for next year’s EC.

- Stumbling 

• Like 1

WX forecast looking good at the moment for a fast race for the go-fast guys and gals with NE winds 15 knots all the way down the west coast of FL. Sunday and Monday look tough coming across FL Bay with 25 knot trades out of the E. But there's a pretty high powered bunch of beach cat sailors who could toy with the record from 2010 of 26 hours and change. Smyth's NACRA Carbon 20 and a couple Tornados all have the speed and skills to get down to KL fast. And Linton's SPAWN should go well too. 

The only possible hang up is if we have an SCA at the start. Because the race course crosses the Tampa shipping channel, the USCG won't let us launch in SCA conditions. So please keep your fingers crossed and do whatever voodoo you've got so that winds aren't steady over 20 on Saturday morning. 

We don't plan to finish before Tuesday or more likely Wednesday, but only because we prefer the drama of having a big audience when we come in. Coming in early on Sunday morning means only the tourists see you and they have no appreciation of what you just accomplished. <g>

Good luck to all y'all out there and if you see me on the beach, come say hello. 

• Like 3

Weather forecast favors the swift down to Flamingo.  Unfortunately, Fla Bay is 20-25kts out of the East from late Saturday night through past Monday.    This means extra-less water in the bay and a strong headwind barring the most direct, East route. That gate will be closed...

Possible routes includes a long port tack, heading through  Whipray Basin, angling southeast with lots of wiggling toward Lignumvitae Key where one then would have a long starboard tack up the intercoastal to Key Largo.    Or, the fully outside route down to Lower Maticumbe Key, then up the intercoastal for a less navigationally stressful route, but more opportunity for rougher seas.

Given the performance factor of the leaders, avoidance of the swash channels would be faster, favoring the outside route.

It will be fun to see this year’s choices and how they play out!

- Stumbling 

1 hour ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

Winds look high. Temps look low. I'm out.

Only for Sat morning and 55 is freaqing summer temps in Nova Scotia. It'll be high 70s as the weekend progresses. Get out there and paddle that cowabungamaran!

We're in Bonita Beach just south of Lovers Key.....Friday at noon....it's windy out of the west, northwest I'd say around 20....I would guess the swells are higher out....I wouldn't be sailing today....but I am a conservative kind of sailor....Just be careful ....Thursday it was around 85 at noon...today maybe 70-72

I'll be heading to the beach in a few minutes, they should be allowed to started tomorrow ,but I doubt they will, my the heavy handed USCG and Park rangers...this is not a bad front and my guess gusts only to 20 with average 12-16 MPH. Tomorrow morning once across the mouth of Tampa Bay it will be sheltered beautiful smooth water sailing just off the beaches with the inside route a bit bumpier .   I am guessing "Chief" will hold the fleet on the beach tomorrow as a show of respect and blow the horn a few hours later.

On 3/3/2020 at 11:12 PM, MisterMoon said:

WX forecast looking good at the moment for a fast race for the go-fast guys and gals with NE winds 15 knots all the way down the west coast of FL. Sunday and Monday look tough coming across FL Bay with 25 knot trades out of the E. But there's a pretty high powered bunch of beach cat sailors who could toy with the record from 2010 of 26 hours and change. Smyth's NACRA Carbon 20 and a couple Tornados all have the speed and skills to get down to KL fast. And Linton's SPAWN should go well too. 

The only possible hang up is if we have an SCA at the start. Because the race course crosses the Tampa shipping channel, the USCG won't let us launch in SCA conditions. So please keep your fingers crossed and do whatever voodoo you've got so that winds aren't steady over 20 on Saturday morning. 

We don't plan to finish before Tuesday or more likely Wednesday, but only because we prefer the drama of having a big audience when we come in. Coming in early on Sunday morning means only the tourists see you and they have no appreciation of what you just accomplished. <g>

Good luck to all y'all out there and if you see me on the beach, come say hello. 

EC20201.jpg

• Like 4

EC202012.jpg

I asked about this rudder and they said it was for steerage when the rudder was kicked up in shallow water...I then asked how it affected the balance and they said they didn't know yet :lol:EC202010.jpg

EC202013.jpg

This guy is a BEAST !...last year it ( not this SUP) was the first vessel I walked up on ,I couldn't bring myself to talk to him as I was in awe and disbelief he was going to stand up paddle the whole freak'n course....he did and this is a brand new board...I had a great talk with him !EC202014.jpg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

EC202013.jpg

This guy is a BEAST !...last year it ( not this SUP) was the first vessel I walked up on ,I couldn't bring myself to talk to him as I was in awe and disbelief he was going to stand up paddle the whole freak'n course....he did and this is a brand new board...I had a great talk with him !EC202014.jpg

Sorry to have missed you out there.  Arrived about when the general meeting started.  Did a short walk to see all the boats.  Ended up assisting Moresailsesaid putting Spawn  together, as Twobeers gave AndyMan a ride to Sarasota to retrieve a spare Highlander mast to replace a failed unit.

i shall be back out there in the wee hours to watch the final countdown.   I should be not too hard to see, as I will be wearing my red wind suit (aka “Goatherder from Hell” outfit.). Damn cold in the morning....

- Stumbling

• Like 1
5 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

EC202012.jpg

I asked about this rudder and they said it was for steerage when the rudder was kicked up in shallow water...I then asked how it affected the balance and they said they didn't know yet :lol:EC202010.jpg

That boat was once a Star.  Now it has no keel and has a sunfish bow as a "house" and a Sunfish cockpit aft of the mizzen.  I am told there is a Laser grafted in somewhere.  I am also told it has water ballasted lee boards as well as a forward and aft daggerboard.  The aft one if just forward of the rudder.  I have no idea about the rudder but I am baffled.  It is a three man team. I think it is my favorite boat this year.  I can not wait to see how it does.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

EC202013.jpg

Is this Veteran Voyager?  Guys is a beast as you said.  Amongst his claims to fame is SUP'ing from Texas to New York.

• Like 1

Im pretty sure he was able to borrow a mast. Saw the boat rigged outside the campground last night. He didnt leave the boat on the beach so im not sure if he'll have to launch at the ramp or if theyll let him on the beach this morning. I saw it happen and I think all the sailors around felt the loss that accompanied the sound. Ugh

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, CatFive said:

He said last night that he hoped to be out here this morning. SCA on the website says it's in effect until the afternoon

I guess I got up too early then~~~~

7 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

Sorry to have missed you out there.  Arrived about when the general meeting started.  Did a short walk to see all the boats.  Ended up assisting Moresailsesaid putting Spawn  together, as Twobeers gave AndyMan a ride to Sarasota to retrieve a spare Highlander mast to replace a failed unit.

i shall be back out there in the wee hours to watch the final countdown.   I should be not too hard to see, as I will be wearing my red wind suit (aka “Goatherder from Hell” outfit.). Damn cold in the morning....

- Stumbling

Yes...it would have been nice to meet you...I plan to go to Bean Point if the start is not delayed too long, there is very limited parking to the beach access so a late start means the beach folks begin to arrive on this glorious Florida winter day

Small Craft Advisory

URGENT - MARINE WEATHER MESSAGE National Weather Service Tampa Bay Ruskin FL 425 AM EST Sat Mar 7 2020 GMZ850-853-856-870-873-876-072000- /O.CON.KTBW.SC.Y.0016.000000T0000Z-200307T2000Z/ Coastal waters from Tarpon Springs to Suwannee River FL out 20 NM- Coastal waters from Englewood to Tarpon Springs FL out 20 NM- Coastal waters from Bonita Beach to Englewood FL out 20 NM- Waters from Tarpon Springs to Suwannee River FL out 20 to 60 NM- Waters from Englewood to Tarpon Springs FL out 20 to 60 NM- Waters from Bonita Beach to Englewood FL out 20 to 60 NM- 425 AM EST Sat Mar 7 2020 ...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 3 PM EST THIS AFTERNOON... * WHAT...North winds 20 to 25 kt with gusts up to 30 kt and seas 4 to 7 feet. * WHERE...Coastal waters from Bonita Beach to Suwannee River out to 60 NM. * WHEN...Until 3 PM EST Saturday. * IMPACTS...Conditions will be hazardous to small craft. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... Inexperienced mariners, especially those operating smaller vessels, should avoid navigating in hazardous conditions.

Thanks for all the pics, Bravo. Sorry to see the SCA but not all that surprised.

18 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Only for Sat morning and 55 is freaqing summer temps in Nova Scotia. It'll be high 70s as the weekend progresses. Get out there and paddle that cowabungamaran!

I'm not from Nova Scotia and get cold in temps below 80.

I was going to go when the forecast was for only 20 knots of wind and a 50 degree night in my tent.

Then it went to 25 knots and upper 40s. My plan was to drive my boat from my place to Stump Pass and back, passing through the unprotected parts of Charlotte Harbor both today and tomorrow. Just didn't sound fun, and I'm in this for the fun, not the Challenge.

It's 45 at my house right now and I'm pretty glad to be inside and not loading my boat.

One of my main goals was to buzz the fleet with my drone, which isn't happy in that much wind.

Now I'm thinking of tagging along with another Speck Tater down in Indian Key Pass on Monday. Drone flight is prohibited in the National Park.

My original plan isn't cancelled, just postponed until next year, weather permitting.

• Like 2

7AM  Bonita Beach....nice morning as compared to yesterday....light winds partly cloudy and 53 degrees at the beach....best of luck to the participants....I'll keep an eye out for you on sunday....I think I am about 100 miles south to Tampa

Looks like the kind of conditions a sailor can only dream about.   Anyone with sails will make some easy miles.  Air Temp where they live is the water temp.  I hope they don't postpone the start and I hope all are safe no matter what the decision.  The fast cats should be salivating.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, alanosauras said:

Roll call complete. Start set for 900. 

Best tribe name  Beerdeddragon

Start 9:00.... or later... from information... 

28 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Could you post the link to the updates or if you are reporting live, thanks.

Personal texts from someone close to the decision maker

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

Personal texts from someone close to the decision maker

Keep em coming please.

Easy prediction: The cat Smyth is on will win by a fair amount...or will break.  Equal odds on each.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Easy prediction: The cat Smyth is on will win by a fair amount...or will break.  Equal odds on each.

I'll put 20 on break.

I was hoping to see some evolution of Synergy. That was a coolboat.

• Like 2

Unless something changes it is a 10 AM start....I am heading out to Bean Point ...if I can get one of the few parking spots I'll walk out and snap some photos

Screenshot (93).png

5 minutes ago, Geff said:

Holy WOW!  Love that machine!

I wish I had seen it with the headsail working too. My passengers that day were probably just as glad that didn't happen. Pretty sure my fishing boat could keep up but it wouldn't be comfortable at all.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

I wish I had seen it with the headsail working too. My passengers that day were probably just as glad that didn't happen. Pretty sure my fishing boat could keep up but it wouldn't be comfortable at all.

The headsail that day would not have been pretty.  I've been on the racecourse with Randy a few times, either behind or being passed.  I recall a race in Ft Walton where he rounded the leeward mark inside us (of course), and I swear he was driving, trimming the main while sneaking forward to get the jib just right.  Just then, they caught a puff and were gone, gone, gone...

• Like 1

I had to leave the beach at 9 this morning.   (Keeping the wife happy.  She is enthusiastic for my participation next year and I do not want to diminish that with being late from an extended hold.   365 days from now, I will not have plans to be at a music festival.)

I guess I will see this start on YouTube!

- Stumbling 

5 hours ago, alanosauras said:

Im pretty sure he was able to borrow a mast. Saw the boat rigged outside the campground last night. He didnt leave the boat on the beach so im not sure if he'll have to launch at the ramp or if theyll let him on the beach this morning. I saw it happen and I think all the sailors around felt the loss that accompanied the sound. Ugh

There was more drama this morning.  Apparently, someone scouted the road last night for AndyMan for overhead wires.  They missed the main power lines just before the intersection to the east west road.   AndyMan stopped in time, but was parked in the middle of the road for the left turn lane @ 5:45am.  He wrangled up some folks, dropped the rig, drove to the beach, rerigged and got positioned on the starting line next to Spawn (after several boats were lifted and slid sideways to make room.  

All in all, a great recovery from a mistake.

- Stumbling 

• Like 1

Just went down to our neighborhood boat ramp and found my neighbor's dock more high and dry than I have ever seen before. I posted a notice on the WT FB page that Charlotte Harbor is out of water and participants should go around. :lol:

FranksDockDry.jpg

42 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

There was more drama this morning.  Apparently, someone scouted the road last night for AndyMan for overhead wires.  They missed the main power lines just before the intersection to the east west road.   AndyMan stopped in time, but was parked in the middle of the road for the left turn lane @ 5:45am.  He wrangled up some folks, dropped the rig, drove to the beach, rerigged and got positioned on the starting line next to Spawn (after several boats were lifted and slid sideways to make room.  

All in all, a great recovery from a mistake.

- Stumbling 

The absolute last thing one needs before a distance race requiring endurance.  I'm now a huge fan and wish him the best!