Jump to content

Everglades Challenge 2020


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll have more to say at length later. First of all, everyone is crushed by the apparent loss of Sailorman. I do think the fact that he didn't signal that he was having problems is indicative of somet

It has been an incredibly long and sad day to be a Tribe member today.  Not good news, which you all already know.  Like BravoBravo I had been glued to the tracker as Sailorman wandered farther and fa

Sorry to hear that they have not found Sailorman. But before this turns into Manifestly Unsafe Voyage Anarchy, how about a few pics from yesterday? Zippy just off Everglades City:

Posted Images

Spawn arriving at CP 3 just now...low water on piling and bulkhead....20-30 NE...going to E tomorrow morning same velocity  

Spanw CP3.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad news for Spawn fans.  FB post that they are dropping out at Flamingo.   Winds are at 30kts out of the East.   Either something is less than optimal with the boat (hitting the beach to “prepare the boat for beating (or taking a beating))” or they are not able to reef deep enough for the conditions.  

Discretion to know when to stop is rare.   Next year!

- Stumbling 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It is sounding like the door is more solidly shut on Florida Bay, 30+ out of the East and that the door is more like the Cape  Canaveral Vertical Assembly building’s  vast door, stretching up the coast.  All the lead Catamarans dropped out with damage, excluding SewSews, which finished with damage.   Spawn is out.  Numerous reports of epic weather battles in the middle of the pack.

The new lead monohull is AndyMan and NateDog, and it looks like they are hanging out at CP 2 for a while.

- Stumbling 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

Chaos and SewSew just finished in a Nacra 20

SewSew.jpg

SsewSew.jpg

Yes, but it turns out my bet was good and they DID break their boat. From Paula on FB:

 

Quote

 

They’re here!! Chaos and SewSew first to finish the 2020 Everglades Challenge. Just shy of 28 hours. Screamin’! Even with a paddle lashed to the boat to use as a rudder for half the trip.

 

 

If you're using a paddle as a rutter, you broke your boat.

Meanwhile, we took the Speck Tater up the Peace River to a bar/restaurant called Nav A Gator today and actually ran the hull aground in the middle of the damn channel! I knew there was a shallow bar there, but it's usually at least 2 feet, not a problem for our boat. Today I started to feel the engine bump bottom before we got to the really shallow part. Slowed down and went across with engine up and hull bumping bottom. Then hit something that felt very hard in the little channel into the restaurant. Then got a hull blown onto the sand bar trying to get back out after lunch and had to do a mad reversing trick that almost landed us on the seaplane dock to escape. I was just trying to have a relaxing day on the water!

I just posted in one of the threads about Pine Island Sound on the FB WT page that it would be a good idea to subtract a foot from whatever your chart might say about depths today.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

8:20am....Monday....a white kayak just went by our condo in Bonita Beach......still can't load my pictures of Swampmonkee....one picture wat 4 mb...well within the limits..I posted a picture a couple of weeks ago with no issues....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZeroTheHero said:

Watching Sailorman's track has me very nervous.  He is way too far off shore. 

Yep !...48 hours of 20 + out of the east followed by lesser easterlies on Wednesday 

No rhyme or reason for him being where he is...do you know anything of his experience  level...even so...a Coresound 17 is a skinny open boat

Screenshot (99).png

Screenshot (100).png

Screenshot (101).png

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZeroTheHero said:

Watching Sailorman's track has me very nervous.  He is way too far off shore. 

 

28 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

Yep !...48 hours of 20 + out of the east followed by lesser easterlies on Wednesday 

No rhyme or reason for him being where he is...do you know anything of his experience  level...even so...a Coresound 17 is a skinny open boat

Screenshot (99).png

Screenshot (100).png

Screenshot (101).png

I suspect this is possibly the boat the Lee County Sherrif's Office rescued folks off.

"A mayday call was broadcasted on VHF channel 16 from a 16' Hobie Cat taking on water with two persons on board. This occurred 2 miles offshore of Redfish Pass, near Captiva Island.

Lee County Sheriff's Office Marine Unit Deputies Tony Smith and Matt Woodby responded and arrived on scene finding the occupants in the water next to the partially sunken vessel.

Both subjects were retrieved from the water and brought on board the LCSO AMBAR. No injuries were reported."

Its not a cat actually but is a Hobie (tri). I think.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wess said:

 

I suspect this is possibly the boat the Lee County Sherrif's Office rescued folks off.

"A mayday call was broadcasted on VHF channel 16 from a 16' Hobie Cat taking on water with two persons on board. This occurred 2 miles offshore of Redfish Pass, near Captiva Island.

Lee County Sheriff's Office Marine Unit Deputies Tony Smith and Matt Woodby responded and arrived on scene finding the occupants in the water next to the partially sunken vessel.

Both subjects were retrieved from the water and brought on board the LCSO AMBAR. No injuries were reported."

Its not a cat actually but is a Hobie (tri). I think.

 

 

Negative.  That rescue was a gray Tandem Island.  Sailorman is in a Core Sound 17 Mk III.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ZeroTheHero said:

Negative.  That rescue was a gray Tandem Island.  Sailorman is in a Core Sound 17 Mk III.  

Oh crap; sorry.  My bad.  Yea that can't be good.  Hope all is well...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

Yep !...48 hours of 20 + out of the east followed by lesser easterlies on Wednesday 

No rhyme or reason for him being where he is...do you know anything of his experience  level...even so...a Coresound 17 is a skinny open boat

Screenshot (99).png

Screenshot (100).png

Screenshot (101).png

It is a Core Sound 17 Mk III so at least it has shelter.  Not totally open like a Mk I

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ZeroTheHero said:

It is a Core Sound 17 Mk III so at least it has shelter.  Not totally open like a Mk I

The USCG is in the air on the way to his location....dollars to donuts he'll be eating dinner in KW or MIA tonight and his boat either allowed to drift or ordered scuttled 

Link to post
Share on other sites

5:00pm Monday.....Red paddle boarder just came by....he thought he was the first one and said I could turn the wind off anytime....I wished him well and away he went....Bonita Beach

Link to post
Share on other sites

For Facebook people, I just put up pics of 6 boats that we encountered in Indian Key Pass today, along with a bonus pic of my fellow Speck Taters. I'll put them on my blog where they can be shared but probably not until tomorrow. The links to shared images from FB break after a while so I don't bother doing that much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Wess said:

 

I suspect this is possibly the boat the Lee County Sherrif's Office rescued folks off.

"A mayday call was broadcasted on VHF channel 16 from a 16' Hobie Cat taking on water with two persons on board. This occurred 2 miles offshore of Redfish Pass, near Captiva Island.

Lee County Sheriff's Office Marine Unit Deputies Tony Smith and Matt Woodby responded and arrived on scene finding the occupants in the water next to the partially sunken vessel.

Both subjects were retrieved from the water and brought on board the LCSO AMBAR. No injuries were reported."

Its not a cat actually but is a Hobie (tri). I think.

 

 

Any updates on Sailorman?   I checked the FB pages for Coast Guard Miami, Key West, and St. Petersburg sectors and there are no mentions of rescues off of Marco, at this point.

- Stumbling

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

Any updates on Sailorman?   I checked the FB pages for Coast Guard Miami, Key West, and St. Petersburg sectors and there are no mentions of rescues off of Marco, at this point.

- Stumbling

nothing yet.  tried a few back channels I have but so far no info.  Last tracking point was about 7:30 this morning.  Those of us on the couch this year are collectively holding our breath.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

JustAnotherSailor ~~~ first in his solo class taking a nap this morning at CP 2

59344B86-38E9-47A8-9462-99CCE24842EE.jpeg

Been there, done that.  Water, lots of water.  Change clothing, get out of the sun.  Sleep!  Then make a plan.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

Any updates on Sailorman?   I checked the FB pages for Coast Guard Miami, Key West, and St. Petersburg sectors and there are no mentions of rescues off of Marco, at this point.

- Stumbling

That is very very strange !...through back channels I alerted WT leadership that sailorman was in a location that made NO sense Sunday evening and yesterday morning again. Sometime around noon Paula "mother hen"  simply passed on a message that a "helo was in the air"...around evening could not get a reply that a SAR had been initiated ...I am biting my tongue .....nothing from "sailorman" and nothing from WT....under those weather conditions a SAR should have begun yesterday morning...I can understand  WT being tight lipped...but if the USCG had been searching they would say so.... BTW...this postilion is 25-30 NM offshore in a 17' unballasted centerboard Coresound...blowing 20-30 MPH

   

Screenshot (102).png

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Coast Guard is searching for a 73-year-old disoriented mariner from the Water Tribe Everglades Challenge approximately 60 miles west of Marco Island, Florida, Tuesday. Multiple CG air and water assets searched yesterday and are continuing today.

SM.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Appears the USCG did a search and did not locate him.  Apparently they are still searching.

Can't blame WT for this.  Its a race for the very experienced and independent types. They take your money but your safety is your problem. Every year you see reports of folks and boats apparently not up for this but that is on the individual not the organization.  Hope the guy is OK obviously. Don't know how this race and others like it get USCG sanctioned/permitted but it is what it is. You can't stop everyone from making decisions that are maybe not prudent and you can't save everyone from themselves.

Again, to be clear... this guy and his boat may be fully capable... and I hope he is OK. Or found and rescued if he is not.  But you can't put this on WT.   They make it clear you are on your own in terms of safety.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

The Coast Guard is searching for a 73-year-old disoriented mariner from the Water Tribe Everglades Challenge approximately 60 miles west of Marco Island, Florida, Tuesday. Multiple CG air and water assets searched yesterday and are continuing today.

SM.jpg

Pretty boat and the blue ones are known to be faster in some racing classes. Well, OK, just one, but...

Those numbers should have a sticker next to them if it's really a registered boat.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Wess said:

Appears the USCG did a search and did not locate him.  Apparently they are still searching.

Can't blame WT for this.  Its a race for the very experienced and independent types. They take your money but your safety is your problem. Every year you see reports of folks and boats apparently not up for this but that is on the individual not the organization.  Hope the guy is OK obviously. Don't know how this race and others like it get USCG sanctioned/permitted but it is what it is. You can't stop everyone from making decisions that are maybe not prudent and you can't save everyone from themselves.

Again, to be clear... this guy and his boat may be fully capable... and I hope he is OK. Or found and rescued if he is not.  But you can't put this on WT.   They make it clear you are on your own in terms of safety.

I am with you on most of this....but this is 2020 and WT's "run what ya brung," it's all on you, ain't gonna fly with the USCG...WT is already on their probation list from the 2015 beach start, my first encounter with WT...I was shocked at some of the rigs and carefree attitude on the beach. I ease dropped on a safety inspection and the inspector was taking the guys word the equipment he was asking about was in the guys bag....  

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

I am with you on most of this....but this is 2020 and WT's "run what ya brung," it's all on you, ain't gonna fly with the USCG...WT is already on their probation list from the 2015 beach start, my first encounter with WT...I was shocked at some of the rigs and carefree attitude on the beach. I ease dropped on a safety inspection and the inspector was taking the guys word the equipment he was asking about was in the guys bag....  

I believe people should be able to assume whatever risk they like but in reality if you have an irresponsible entrant 
(I dont know if its the case with this guy or not)  or enough fatalities eventually its going to ruin the party for everyone unless you have some  minimal standards. 

I think WT covered their ass pretty well.  Race regulations say a Spot tracker is required as well as Epirb/PLB and strobe for each participant attached to their mandatory  lifejacket. Also a submersible VHF and a mobile phone. Nav lights and flashlight . All of this stuff failed? 

 Do they carry out a pre race inspection for everyone? Or spot checks?   A PLB or Sat Phone rental is about $5-6 per day. 

If they are searching 60 miles west of Marco Island, hoping for the best. This was an update 24 hours ago;

 29 sailorman is WAY OUT in the Gulf off Keewaydin Island heading SW for the last 6 hours moving 2 kts at 6:01 AM on Mar 9. Unfort that sounds like overturned and drifting  to me and probably MOB 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

I am with you on most of this....but this is 2020 and WT's "run what ya brung," it's all on you, ain't gonna fly with the USCG...WT is already on their probation list from the 2015 beach start, my first encounter with WT...I was shocked at some of the rigs and carefree attitude on the beach. I ease dropped on a safety inspection and the inspector was taking the guys word the equipment he was asking about was in the guys bag....  

Kind hard to say ain't gonna fly with USCG while they have a USCG permit?!?  And ran the event for years... its not like its a secret.  I don't understand how events like this get through the USCG process to get the permit but they do and they did so...  Same thing for R2AK which has to deal with Canadian CG as well (I think).   Not throwing shade.  Both are events I would like to do but I know what I am getting into even without reading the fine print.  This ain't for everyone or every boat.

Felling pretty bad for the dude and his family.  Finding a small blue hulled boat in the big blue sea ain't gonna be easy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is more than personal responsibility in an event like this and in this case and that would be OVERALL responsibility .....what would you say if the shot caller "Chief" was in the event himself...still calling the shots....and was made aware of "Sailorman's" circumstances and made the decision that the shore team....NOT....notify the USCG of "Sailormans"  tracking status for 12 hours or more before they  were alerted  ?????

Link to post
Share on other sites

10:30am Tuesday....I wasnt here at the condo in Bonita Beach but someone told me two boarders came by in reflective gear going south...craig...Prayers for a spotting and recovery of missing sailor

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

There is more than personal responsibility in an event like this and in this case and that would be OVERALL responsibility .....what would you say if the shot caller "Chief" was in the event himself...still calling the shots....and was made aware of "Sailorman's" circumstances and made the decision that the shore team....NOT....notify the USCG of "Sailormans"  tracking status for 12 hours or more before they  were alerted  ?????

Look I really don't want to get into the blame thing.  I have friends doing the race and so my focus is on them and hoping this dude turns out to be OK.  Just saying that anyone who sets off in one of these races expecting help from WT as an organization is a Darwin Award winner. Its clear as a bell what WT is and isn't.  On your own means on your own.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

I am with you on most of this....but this is 2020 and WT's "run what ya brung," it's all on you, ain't gonna fly with the USCG...WT is already on their probation list from the 2015 beach start, my first encounter with WT...I was shocked at some of the rigs and carefree attitude on the beach. I ease dropped on a safety inspection and the inspector was taking the guys word the equipment he was asking about was in the guys bag....  

Have you ever applied for a Coast Guard Permit?   IME, they regulate the shipping channels and how your event interacts with the shipping and waters they are mandated to protect  eg reefs.  and its up to the local commander...(I think they denied permit for  round island race in Pacific northwest... you can't crash land and die on some island they protect... Individual CG commander make that rule following a  tragedy a few years ago) So they are restricted in denying the permit. No interference... no permit needed... they appreciate the heads up about the event.    The safety issues are spec'd out as a matter of law and every mariner must comply  The CG can enforce the law... not common sense.   The WT OA increased the safety gear as a condition of entry.   PERIOD.   they did not promise that that this extra gear would save your ass.      RE "safety"  gear checks.  Are actually just Gear checks for the game's purpose.    The protocol is really determined by our legal system and our insurance system.   The Chi to Mac race USED to inspect pre race....   Tragedy happened..  Now they  spot check the winners for some things they are supposed to carry.  You are dsq'd if you don't have it.    Why.... because the gear requirement is just a condition of the game... NOT GEAR that assures your safety.  The CG requirements are the law.    The SAFETY ISSUE is 100 percent the responsibility of the Captain.  In the USA....  OA's are told... do nothing that undermines that principle.   YMMV as to the wisdom.   

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Blue-bottomed boat, with blue topsides.....I am thinking even harder about painting a big day-glo SOS on the bottom of my craft, particularly if doing the EC again, and particularly solo, which I was considering this year (thankfully I didn't).   

Is this Sailorman's first EC?  His tribe name doesn't show up in the Rogues' Gallery.  If so, soloing a CS17 on first go was awfully ambitious. 

As was going outside.  MicroTom and I were well off Captiva our first EC in '11 when a gnarly front came through...I was so glad to have MT as crew-mate at the time, and now can say that, particularly given the forecast, I would not be on the outside of the Cape, and certainly not alone at night, after a long day at the helm... Not to second-guess him, but were Stump/Gasparilla/Boca Grande impassable on Saturday night?

Hoping and praying.

DKHT

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DonKeyHoTey said:

Blue-bottomed boat, with blue topsides.....I am thinking even harder about painting a big day-glo SOS on the bottom of my craft, particularly if doing the EC again, and particularly solo, which I was considering this year (thankfully I didn't).   

Is this Sailorman's first EC?  His tribe name doesn't show up in the Rogues' Gallery.  If so, soloing a CS17 on first go was awfully ambitious. 

As was going outside.  MicroTom and I were well off Captiva our first EC in '11 when a gnarly front came through...I was so glad to have MT as crew-mate at the time, and now can say that, particularly given the forecast, I would not be on the outside of the Cape, and certainly not alone at night, after a long day at the helm... Not to second-guess him, but were Stump/Gasparilla/Boca Grande impassable on Saturday night?

Hoping and praying.

DKHT

2019 was sailorman's first EC but only made it to CP 1 before dropping out, I was told. I was very very light that leg.

This year CP1 was not required because of the Plan B start where most of the smaller boats launched south of Tampa Bay....Sailorman sailing outside was not a problem as long as he stayed close to shore with the strong breeze coming from the NNE-NE..it would have been really nice along the beaches....however his tracker showed him suspiciously far off Sanibel and finally with his last ping 25-30 offshore....that in itself should have been an alert !....there was NO tactical or otherwise a reason to be so far offshore without having trouble of some kind...whether the boat not  functioning properly or Sailorman not functioning properly !...race management should err on the caution side first and deal with the consequences later if there are any

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DonKeyHoTey said:

Blue-bottomed boat, with blue topsides.....I am thinking even harder about painting a big day-glo SOS on the bottom of my craft, particularly if doing the EC again, and particularly solo, which I was considering this year (thankfully I didn't).   

 

I think if a USCG helicopter can see the bottom of your hull, signaling SOS wont hurt, but might be assumed.  
But yes Orange keel/hull and also orange is fastest color 
The Mexican CG is probably going to find this poor boat now. Tether/harness might be a good requirement for next year.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Thanks for the info BB and I do agree about mgmt erring on side of caution -- and solo skipper doing so as well.  I've been in or out through all three passes at night and yes, they have their risks, but I still would have shot into the Sound so I could  pull over if too tired (where can you easily stop when next landfall is Cape Romano??).  We blew out the rudder inside at twilight in the big blow in '12(?), and were awfully glad we drifted up onto N. Captiva (nice spot)...

DKHT

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DonKeyHoTey said:

 

Thanks for the info BB and I do agree about mgmt erring on side of caution -- and solo skipper doing so as well.  I've been in or out through all three passes at night and yes, they have their risks, but I still would have shot into the Sound so I could  pull over if too tired (where can you easily stop when next landfall is Cape Romano??).  We blew out the rudder inside at twilight in the big blow in '12(?), and were awfully glad we drifted up onto N. Captiva (nice spot)...

DKHT

Agree !....he was not a balls to the wall racer , and there are some excellent racers and boats. He had  NOTHING to gain by sailing on the outside and I've been wondering that perhaps he didn't or could not sail into the passes due to current and winds....I am pissed at Chief for how he has  handled to situation and it should come back and bite his ass hard !

 

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wess said:

Damn it.  They found the boat but not him.  :(

Yeah I heard that back channel but did not want to violate that trust but it seems the cat is out of the bag....I've heard Chief did not allow the shore director to contact the USCG but made the request go through "sailormans" shore contact forcing that person to make the decision, time was obviously lost and the shore contact may have been a personal without the proper experience for such a situation....as I said up thread I alerted ,back channel , the puzzling location of "sailorman" Sunday evening 12-18 hours before the helo lifted off....I'll be very interest to find out just when the SAR was initiated  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

Yeah I heard that back channel but did not want to violate that trust but it seems the cat is out of the bag....I've heard Chief did not allow the shore director to contact the USCG but made the request go through "sailormans" shore contact forcing that person to make the decision, time was obviously lost and the shore contact may have been a personal without the proper experience for such a situation....as I said up thread I alerted ,back channel , the puzzling location of "sailorman" Sunday evening 12-18 hours before the helo lifted off....I'll be very interest to find out just when the SAR was initiated  

From his track he was equally far out early Sunday morning off Boca Grande, then he jogged back into shore. Wasnt really until well after dark Sunday into Monday morning ( 0337 ping) when he was off Naples that he looked like something went tits up and he wasnt coming back in.  Don't really see blame on the Chief if the protocol is to have a proper shore contact   

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DonKeyHoTey said:

Blue-bottomed boat, with blue topsides.....I am thinking even harder about painting a big day-glo SOS on the bottom of my craft, particularly if doing the EC again, and particularly solo, which I was considering this year (thankfully I didn't).   

Is this Sailorman's first EC?  His tribe name doesn't show up in the Rogues' Gallery.  If so, soloing a CS17 on first go was awfully ambitious. 

As was going outside.  MicroTom and I were well off Captiva our first EC in '11 when a gnarly front came through...I was so glad to have MT as crew-mate at the time, and now can say that, particularly given the forecast, I would not be on the outside of the Cape, and certainly not alone at night, after a long day at the helm... Not to second-guess him, but were Stump/Gasparilla/Boca Grande impassable on Saturday night?

Hoping and praying.

DKHT

This was Sailorman's second EC.  He got to CP1 last year, then DNFd.  http://www.watertribe.com/Events/ChallengeResults.aspx

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear that they have not found Sailorman.

But before this turns into Manifestly Unsafe Voyage Anarchy, how about a few pics from yesterday?

Zippy just off Everglades City:

ZippyEC2020.jpg

Cat5 just a bit further out the channel:

Cat5Choko.jpg

Phil Bolger designed Dovekie Southern Cross entering Indian Key Pass:

SouthernCross.jpg

Anarchist MisterMoon and his partner this year, Lawless, coming in the Pass:

MrMoonLawless.jpg

Heavily Laden and Sonofasonofasailor in the mouth of the pass:

HeavilyLaden.jpg

We had Mistermoon's lovely and charming wife along and she wanted to get back to meet her team at the checkpoint, so we headed home after that.

Our skipper for the day, Pat, and MissusMoon:

PJnMrsMoon.jpg

  • Like 6
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Please, before all the calls to your congressmen, can we keep in mind that this is a voluntary event? Worse! It costs to get in!, if the man is dead, he died making his own choices. Consider: According to the World Health Organization, some 56 Million deaths occur per year, at the current global average. That works out to about 153,400 per day, or a little more than 100 per minute.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The guys family may think differently....thats why lawyers were invented...just because you sign a disclaimer doesnt mean a lawsuit won't come up....Where was the 2020 florida registration sticker?...I noticed on the cat that pulled up in front of our condo, it had a 2019 registration sticker on it.....aren't these boats suppose to be properly registered and inspected?

I'm done with this event. so go ahead and throw flaming torches at me......I enjoyed watching the sailors come by and wish them well and have much respect for their efforts....thats beyond what I would attempt.......so long and best of luck

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shavdog said:

The guys family may think differently....thats why lawyers were invented...just because you sign a disclaimer doesnt mean a lawsuit won't come up....

I will have a chat with my family regarding this. I wouldn’t want them to hold the OA responsible for my mistake. Some may see it otherwise, this is my personal opinion. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, shavdog said:

The guys family may think differently....thats why lawyers were invented...just because you sign a disclaimer doesnt mean a lawsuit won't come up....

Oh sure.  73 yr old guy signs up to sail offshore at night solo in predicted chilly  SCA conditions in  a 17 foot ill designed boat for the purpose boat with no harness/tether. If they sue they will probably sue the boat manufacturer, the OA,  a lifeguard at the Gasparilla Inn beach. And will probably win something.  

Organizers do not have the responsibility to coordinate rescues. At least not yet.  

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been an incredibly long and sad day to be a Tribe member today.  Not good news, which you all already know.  Like BravoBravo I had been glued to the tracker as Sailorman wandered farther and farther off the coast.  I messaged friends and people involved.  I was told that the situation was being monitored and then that action was being taken.  I can not and will not speculate about what happened when and with whom as I am in VT and only know what I was able to verify.  I have watched all the FB discussions devolve and not add anything helpful.  It's sad.  I feel for the family of the sailor involved and to all who will be affected far more than me.  It is a terrible loss.

When I became interested in Watertribe I fully understood what I was getting into.  I sought adventure and WT seemed like a place I could get it on a dime.  I always wanted to follow in my father and grandfather's footsteps but it wasn't to be.  When they first crossed the Atlantic with a sextant and a compass, no one had their back.  They were on their own.  Ocean races like that are out of my budget so I looked smaller.  Sailing is risky and small boat distance sailing is even more so.  I have always appreciated that aspect of the Tribe and have never deluded myself otherwise.  In "14 DonKeyHoTey and I were 12 miles out at one point, at night, off of Shark River with little sleep and a wet boat.  It was big risk and looking back I have not opted to take it again.  But I always I always think back on the experience positively.  In 2016 Mistermoon and I tacked to weather inside the Keys 28 miles in 20-30 knots in a Core Sound 17 Mk I. We bailed constantly.  It was some of the most miserable sailing I have ever done.  I still enjoy the memory.  In "17 doing the Wilderness Waterway with my wife was some of the hardest physical  I have ever done, and in 2018 my son and I almost capsized, again off of Shark River.

Is WT perfect?  No.  Can it improve?  Absolutely.  Should it?  Yes.  These events are dangerous.  So is walking in NYC, flying, driving.  I have always said the drive from VT to FL for the EC is probably the most risky part of it all.  That isn't to minimize what has happened.  I know everyone feels strongly about what should be done.  I'll contribute in the right place and time.  

I am a better sailor because of my experiences through Water Tribe.  I am aware of the risks now more than ever.  I hope that isn't lost

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

A post from Monday morning on the WT forum noted that he was far offshore and had been heading SW for 6 hours. I suspect he found his way overboard at the beginning of those 6 hours. Early Monday afternoon, a poster on FB asked about him. Later that afternoon, there was gossip but no USCG confirmation of a search. Then there was confirmation of a search. Then they found the boat.

I suspect Sailorman found his way into the water in the wee hours of Monday morning, more than 12 hours before I heard even a rumor of a USCG search effort.

From the WT forum thread, apparently quoting a FB post:

Quote

My daily updates are on FB, but here is the one from this morning...

Monday March 9th 6:46 AM Mapper Update.

...

29 sailorman is WAY OUT in the Gulf off Keewaydin Island heading SW for the last 6 hours moving 2 kts at 6:01 AM on Mar 9

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

 

I suspect Sailorman found his way into the water in the wee hours of Monday morning

Or not. Just saw a FB thread that was going on yesterday while I was in Chokoloskee. It was reported that he kept hitting his Spot tracker "OK" button until 7:24 yesterday morning. Things were pretty obviously not OK for about 6 hours at that point. Inexplicable.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ZeroTheHero said:

It has been an incredibly long and sad day to be a Tribe member today.  Not good news, which you all already know.  Like BravoBravo I had been glued to the tracker as Sailorman wandered farther and farther off the coast.  I messaged friends and people involved.  I was told that the situation was being monitored and then that action was being taken.  I can not and will not speculate about what happened when and with whom as I am in VT and only know what I was able to verify.  I have watched all the FB discussions devolve and not add anything helpful.  It's sad.  I feel for the family of the sailor involved and to all who will be affected far more than me.  It is a terrible loss.

When I became interested in Watertribe I fully understood what I was getting into.  I sought adventure and WT seemed like a place I could get it on a dime.  I always wanted to follow in my father and grandfather's footsteps but it wasn't to be.  When they first crossed the Atlantic with a sextant and a compass, no one had their back.  They were on their own.  Ocean races like that are out of my budget so I looked smaller.  Sailing is risky and small boat distance sailing is even more so.  I have always appreciated that aspect of the Tribe and have never deluded myself otherwise.  In "14 DonKeyHoTey and I were 12 miles out at one point, at night, off of Shark River with little sleep and a wet boat.  It was big risk and looking back I have not opted to take it again.  But I always I always think back on the experience positively.  In 2016 Mistermoon and I tacked to weather inside the Keys 28 miles in 20-30 knots in a Core Sound 17 Mk I. We bailed constantly.  It was some of the most miserable sailing I have ever done.  I still enjoy the memory.  In "17 doing the Wilderness Waterway with my wife was some of the hardest physical  I have ever done, and in 2018 my son and I almost capsized, again off of Shark River.

Is WT perfect?  No.  Can it improve?  Absolutely.  Should it?  Yes.  These events are dangerous.  So is walking in NYC, flying, driving.  I have always said the drive from VT to FL for the EC is probably the most risky part of it all.  That isn't to minimize what has happened.  I know everyone feels strongly about what should be done.  I'll contribute in the right place and time.  

I am a better sailor because of my experiences through Water Tribe.  I am aware of the risks now more than ever.  I hope that isn't lost

Well put, ZTH.  And I too remember clearly -- and fondly -- the Risk and Reward of you and me being out there at the edge of the world, under a bucketful of stars. 

220px-Experts_Expect_the_Unexpected._Nub

"Experts Expect the Unexpected." Roadsign in Nubra Valley, northern Ladakh, India.

Chief states that WT events are for EXPERTS only.  Small-boat sailor/designer John Welsford states that "experts are but beginners with experience."  Gaining that experience as a sailor happens every time we leave the beach, but involves risk as soon as we do.  Sometimes it catches up.  Sometimes through no fault of our own.  Sometimes it happens to experts.  And we don't have to be expert sailors to know all this.  Yet we still go to sea, gladly.

DKHT

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DonKeyHoTey said:

Well put, ZTH.  And I too remember clearly -- and fondly -- the Risk and Reward of you and me being out there at the edge of the world, under a bucketful of stars. 

220px-Experts_Expect_the_Unexpected._Nub

"Experts Expect the Unexpected." Roadsign in Nubra Valley, northern Ladakh, India.

Chief states that WT events are for EXPERTS only.  Small-boat sailor/designer John Welsford states that "experts are but beginners with experience."  Gaining that experience as a sailor happens every time we leave the beach, but involves risk as soon as we do.  Sometimes it catches up.  Sometimes through no fault of our own.  Sometimes it happens to experts.  And we don't have to be expert sailors to know all this.  Yet we still go to sea, gladly.

DKHT

well put.  DKHT we should catch up sometime.  A lot to talk about

Link to post
Share on other sites

The risk is known and real...my ONLY concern is the decision making of those at the top once made aware of the troublesome location,track,weather conditions all the other factors....and how long it took for them to make the decision to call out to the USCG for HELP....I know those at the top on shore at command central were notified early evening on Sunday. How many hours until the call for help was made ? I'd be more than happy to shut up and apologize !

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

But before this turns into Manifestly Unsafe Voyage Anarchy, how about a few pics from yesterday?

 

Thanks for the great pix, Tom.  As an FB refusenick, I don't see many...

Looking at them reminded me that in the pix of Chaos and SewSew coming into KL they had nothing on deck.  At what point did they lose all their food, safety gear, etc etc??

DKHT

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

The risk is known and real...my ONLY concern is the decision making of those at the top once made aware of the troublesome location,track,weather conditions all the other factors....and how long it took for them to make the decision to call out to the USCG for HELP....I know those at the top on shore at command central were notified early evening on Sunday. How many hours until the call for help was made ? I'd be more than happy to shut up and apologize !

I can not accurately comment on timing as I have no direct knowledge.  In hind sight it all is so clear, but at the time?  I know I was confused.  Didn't seem like a good place to be and all but, there were all the "ok" signals.  Once those went quiet I was alarmed, but things like that have happened before.  And not a fault of the tracker (which needs to be replaced)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ZeroTheHero said:

I can not accurately comment on timing as I have no direct knowledge.  In hind sight it all is so clear, but at the time?  I know I was confused.  Didn't seem like a good place to be and all but, there were all the "ok" signals.  Once those went quiet I was alarmed, but things like that have happened before.  And not a fault of the tracker (which needs to be replaced)

If you have access to the WT/FB page read Peter Lange's account of his first 24 hours , he posted about 3 hours ago (8PM EST)...I wish I could paste it here....Excellent descriptions of the weather,sea state , hypothermia ,decision making and  divine guidance or good luck depending on your conclusions

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

If you have access to the WT/FB page read Peter Lange's account of his first 24 hours , he posted about 3 hours ago (8PM EST)...I wish I could paste it here....Excellent descriptions of the weather,sea state , hypothermia ,decision making and  divine guidance or good luck depending on your conclusions

Don't forget a hat tip to the management at the Crow's Nest in Venice.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites