Everglades Challenge 2020

2 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

Just look at the track. Posted somewhere upthread.

EECB6055-B380-4176-AD41-22FB5997F8C1.png

that jog around Boca Grande is odd...maybe it was sloppy near the pass...we really don't know

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It has been an incredibly long and sad day to be a Tribe member today.  Not good news, which you all already know.  Like BravoBravo I had been glued to the tracker as Sailorman wandered farther and fa

I'll have more to say at length later. First of all, everyone is crushed by the apparent loss of Sailorman. I do think the fact that he didn't signal that he was having problems is indicative of somet

Sorry to hear that they have not found Sailorman. But before this turns into Manifestly Unsafe Voyage Anarchy, how about a few pics from yesterday? Zippy just off Everglades City:

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

that jog around Boca Grande is odd...maybe it was sloppy near the pass...we really don't know

Look at the timing of the OK messages and the speeds over ground during  that jog. He shut it down and went to sleep. No one can be 100% positive of that, but the explanation fits the data better than anything else I'm hearing from you or anyone else. 

• Like 2

Really stupid and all that question...where are the complete results with participant's names, etc.?  I have searched all over the web site, FB, and other places to no avail.  I know you can rip away on me about being totally clueless and handicapped about this but a bit of assistance please?  Thank you!

1 minute ago, Geff said:

Really stupid and all that question...where are the complete results with participant's names, etc.?  I have searched all over the web site, FB, and other places to no avail.  I know you can rip away on me about being totally clueless and handicapped about this but a bit of assistance please?  Thank you!

1 minute ago, Geff said:

http://watertribe.com/Events/ChallengeResults.aspx

6 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

Look at the timing of the OK messages and the speeds over ground during  that jog. He shut it down and went to sleep. No one can be 100% positive of that, but the explanation fits the data better than anything else I'm hearing from you or anyone else. 

Well you might be right about his napping....I was sadly correct about the dangerous situation he was in and did something about it !...I'd do the same for you God forbid

12 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

After studying Sailorman's tracks some more, I've started to believe he wasn't disoriented. I though track he took offshore on Saturday was odd, now I have an idea what he was doing. It appears to me his SOP was to heave to or drop sail and drift downwind at night while he presumably slept. I don't think he was so much disoriented but just asleep during those offshore drifts. Drifting downwind in 7-10 foot seas would be uncomfortable, but pretty safe in that boat with the sails down and water ballast in. You can see where on Saturday night he sent an OK about midnight and then about 800 am the following morning he started sailing back to Boca Grande. His track appears to show a boat under command until about midnight Sunday night, where he sent another OK and started drifting downwind yet again. Another OK at 0337 when he peeked up to to have a look around, then back to sleep until his final OK message at 0724. Immediately after sending that message all tracking stopped and he went overboard. Maybe he had a medical issue, maybe he was peeing over the side and lost his balance, we'll never know.

I came to the exact same conclusions, MM.  His SOG on the SW legs at night were a crawl compared to his S and SE daytime legs.   And sleeping helps to explain why he chose to stay outside when he could easily have nipped in through various passes and dropped hook for the night.  And he wasn't SewSew, so he had to sleep sometime.  He probably got about 4-5 hours of sleep on Friday, and had an exhausting day on the helm on Saturday and Saturday evening before he headed offshore..  But what kind of sleep could it really have been in the forepeak of his small craft in those conditions -- particularly if suffering from hypothermia? 

Much to think about and hopefully learn from.

DKHT

Glad to see that article listed on the previous page here.  Clears up some things.  Looking at the track again I see MisterMoons hypothesis becoming more clear.  I agree with him and DonKeyHoTey, both of whom I have finished an EC with.  BravoBravo kudos to you for being concerned and making that known to race management. I did the same, as I have said.  I can not speak for everyone involved but I am always glad to know people are watching the tracker and care enough to make a call to a friend involve.  There are pretty clear guidelines about using the spot and I think many of us who have used a spot in this event were really puzzled by the ok signals.  That is a "make no mistake I am just fine" signal that we all know to mean just that.  Many of us following along were puzzled by this oks, but there they were.  It makes me very sad that this has happened.  One possible positive note, I was planning on going solo in class 4 next year but that idea is gone now.  Far too much risk for me.

Has anyone really looked at Chaos and Sewsew's track?  Man were they hauling!  They went from Sanibel to Marco in about 3 hours!  That has always taken me the better part of a day.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ZeroTheHero said:

Glad to see that article listed on the previous page here.  Clears up some things.  Looking at the track again I see MisterMoons hypothesis becoming more clear.  I agree with him and DonKeyHoTey, both of whom I have finished an EC with.  BravoBravo kudos to you for being concerned and making that known to race management. I did the same, as I have said.  I can not speak for everyone involved but I am always glad to know people are watching the tracker and care enough to make a call to a friend involve.  There are pretty clear guidelines about using the spot and I think many of us who have used a spot in this event were really puzzled by the ok signals.  That is a "make no mistake I am just fine" signal that we all know to mean just that.  Many of us following along were puzzled by this oks, but there they were.  It makes me very sad that this has happened.  One possible positive note, I was planning on going solo in class 4 next year but that idea is gone now.  Far too much risk for me.

Has anyone really looked at Chaos and Sewsew's track?  Man were they hauling!  They went from Sanibel to Marco in about 3 hours!  That has always taken me the better part of a day.

20kts boat speed has a quality all its own!   Their average speed for the course was 10.43 knots/hr (300 mi divided by 28.75 hours for the doubters.)  Bumpy and MachoMan still have the absolute course record of 26.2 hours.   

Spawn’s course average through Flamingo was 8.53kts/hr (265mi, 31.083 hours).   Their monohull record works out to 8.16kts/hr average (300mi/36.75 hrs).   The conditions would not allow them to finish in less than 5.75 hours going the long way.  

Amy’s blog has one last picture of Spawn’s interior under the bow in her latest entry showing a centerline plywood bulkhead split horizontally fore and aft   It looks like there was a lot of flexing of the boat while pounding in the seas they had experienced.    I’m glad they stopped when they did.

- Stumbling

• Like 2

Everglades Challenge 2020 Race Report

justanothersailor / Guy deBoer / solo sailor / Windrider 17

Fort De Soto Beach, Florida March 7

Saturday morning greeted the 100 teams with sunshine and small craft warnings over 20 knots. Chief the event organizer placed us in a weather hold for 3 hours until he finally gave the OK to start with a warning once again that we are on our own. This is an unsupported event and after signing every waiver you know to mankind you know it for sure. Your safety and operation of your boat is your decision alone. Chief also announced that if you use the outside (in the Gulf of Mexico) you do not need to stop at checkpoint 1, sailing directly to Checkpoint 2 a 175-mile run! That's a long time in a small boat.

Shortly after 10 AM, we're off. I begin with a double rigged main and use the screecher Blasting down the bay to Santa Marie Island and the Gulf of Mexico. It's only a few miles before I'm in the Gulf and sailing at over 10 knots south along the coast. Checkpoint 1 is Englewood about 67 miles from the start and by 3 or 4 PM I'm passing it where I need to hit the OK button on my SPOT tracking messenger. The SPOT is a GPS tool used to keep the organizers, friends, and family in the loop as to our whereabouts and safety. In only a few hours I'll truly be alone as the sunsets to the west.

Boy and are we ever alone. Soon the sun gave us a superior setting and the winds and seas increased to over 25 knots. I'm feeling good but near midnight as fatigue begins to set in and the seas increasing become larger and confused, I make the decision to reduce sail and drop the main altogether. Sailing on a broad reach wit only the jib my little Windrider 17 still makes 7-10 knots but in total control. I'm sailing with a Jet-boil Yet-ti type cooker that allows me to boil water and make chicken noodle soup and Cuban coffee. I even just boil water and use the Jet-boil as a hand warmer. This is the first time I've sailed the EC with one and let me tell you I was never really cold because of it!

I blasted down the coast quickly and near 4AM the wind and seas began to moderate. I raised the main to the full hoist and with the screecher arrived at Marco Island right at sunrise. With the light I realize I'm in the company with 2 other multihulls, Coastie on his Hobie larger Wave and Mico Tom on his Astmus 20. Upon rounding Marco I switch from the screecher to the small jib for the tighter reaching angle. The Everglades Sound is a large but shallow bay with tannin color waters reflecting the rotting vegetation of the Everglades. Here is where we enter the long and twisting mangrove channels to reach Checkpoint 2 at Chokoloskee. But before we get there I experienced the fastest speeds of the trip hitting 14.7 knots on the GPS for long sustained periods. What fun! But before that, the lashing at the head of the jib came to lose and I'm not able to trim the sail very well or roll it either. Eventually, the flogging of the sail has it's a natural progression as it begins to shred to tatters. This sail cannot be dropped at sea, there was little that I could do but watch it just come apart. I love entering the Everglades here at Indian Key. The twisting waterways always have me thinking back to the late 1880s and the early settlers of the Everglades. Life was rough back then, I recommend everyone reading, “Killing Mr. Watson” to learn why I love it so. I arrived at Checkpoint 2 in Chocoloskee at 12:55 PM at low tide. The tide is very important because it revels thick mud that one has to trudge through to reach the sign-in box. It took me about one hour to attempt to drag the boat and myself close to the beach edge. When I finally came ashore the volunteer checkpoint personnel had serious concern over my exhaustive state. I was truly exhausted standing by itself was very difficult. I laid down for about an hour before I made it back out to the boat and through the mud to remove the jib and screecher After making it back to shore I knew I was truly spent and crossed the road to the marina motel where I secured a room for a good sleep and jet-boil freeze-dried meal. After review ING the weather I made the decision to leave Checkpoint 2 at 3 AM for the winds were slated early as 10 knots with the wind increasing to over 25 knots as the day progressed.

I shoved off and rested at 3 AM & high tide with a double-reefed main and no head-sails. For the next 4 hours, I sailed very slowly south towards Cape Sable the SW corner Florida. The wind took forever to develop so I finally raised the main to full hoist and started to sail at 8-10 knots as the wind began to finally increase. Increase it did to 15,20 25 and finally 30 knots with a gust to over 35 knots! The Windrider took off at over 14 knots with me passing 3 boats in no time. But these conditions are not safe for a small boat like mine as I look ahead at NW Cape and its beautiful safe & dry beach. I pull up on the sandy beach at about noon and in the next hour Joe & Joe on another Windrider, Chandler on his custom tri and Bjorn & James on a Nacra 580 fast cat join me for the afternoon. Eventually, Paul & Allan Stuart pull up on Dawn Patrol to clear up the screecher sail before sailing off around the bend only to anchor just south also waiting for the weather to turn. I get restless and decide to attempt to make any progress south and leave the beach at 1:30 PM with a double reef in the main. Well needless to say after about 1 hour I made almost no progress and turned to the beach to join my friends awaiting a down-turn in the weather. A discussion with the sailors has Bjorn & James decided to leave late afternoon in their Nacra. The Nacra is a high-performance cat and is better suited for these high winds and sailing to weather. Chandler & I decide to leave about 1 AM at high tide and an expected lighter winds out of the East. Joe & Joe announce they'll wait for sunrise before deciding to sail forward.

Near 1AM on Monday morning Chandler & I shove off for Checkpoint 3 in light winds. I'm under full main with Chandler deciding to be cautious with a reefed main. In no time I cannot see him any longer even with a full moon so I'm feeling good. The 25 miles from the beach to Flamingo Checkpoint 3 passes quickly as I pull in at 7:25 AM. I decide to make a quick turnaround and attempt to be the first EC competitor to sail east directly across Florida Bay. This bay is very shallow with many tight and twisting channels. At 7:55 AM I'm off and find myself in a good mood as I see the finish in Key Largo only about 30 miles away.

Boy was I wrong!

As I enter the Florida Bay at Tin Can Channel, this 4+ mile channel is narrow and shallow. I make progress but run aground 15+ times where I need to get out of the boat in the muck and shove off to only once again round aground. Unfortunately, I make progress and continue eastward towards the finish. But by 10:30 AM I'm just outside Buoy Key where I run totally out of water. The boat cannot proceed any longer.

Remember this moment for later in this report it will be important as to how I misjudged my options to proceed towards the finish.

In the Everglades Challenge, almost every year one or more competitors get lost or off-track from the notorious Florida Bay channels and have to spend several days for the right tide and winds to release them from their poor decisions. Now I do not feel that for myself, it was just that the tide had gone out. But I'm an aggressive competitor and My decision is to retrace my steps back to Flamingo and look for the entrance the begins the short southern route at Murray Key. But as I approach the channel I see Chandler with his tri aground in the channel there as well. That leaves me with 2 options, stay at Flamingo waiting for the tides change to head back west all the way to the Capes. Guess what I choose... why wait! I'll just keep moving. The westerly sail is downwind fast and easy as the winds increase to 20+ knots. Eventually, I need to turn south and at that time the winds are at 25 knots. I was expecting an easy reach but instead, I'm sailing a tight close reach and my progress is slow. After 2-3 hours I'm feeling very rejected for I have made not one but 4 poor tactical decisions.

None of these decisions were life-threatening but they all have cost me valuable time.

As I begin to re-evaluate my situation again I see two small sand keys up ahead and decide to pull up on one of them. Now I'm on a beautiful beach and all alone. I know that no other competitor will be joining me here. Again is a warn and very sunny day with east winds hitting at over 25 knots. The plan is once again to stay on the beach till about 1 AM for when I expect the tide to be high and the winds easterly at about 10 knots. I make a bivouac to shield me from the winds and sun and take the time to rest sleep and get ready for the final push to the finish in Key Largo about 30 miles away. I take a walk up the beach to sit under a tree to smoke a good cigar and watch the sunset. Just off the beaches edge, I'm greeted with a 7' blacktip shark. He appears to be very successful in getting his dinner. When I sunsets I crawl under the bivouac for my final sleep before the finish tomorrow.

Wednesday morning 1 AM I'm off in 10 knots and under a full moon. My progress easterly to the inter-coastal waterway and the turn north comes easily but when I turn north I have to beat into the wind for the final 10 miles. Without a jib, I'm using the screecher which is a larger sail but it sets further off the bow. So I find myself going forward but also side-wards, the last leg to the finish is tiring but eventually I see the finish as I pull up to the finish line I have to admit... I spent.

Over-all a great challenge having taken me over 120 hours to finish. I find myself 3rd over-all as the solo class. My hats off to my fellow competitors and of course Chief and all his volunteers for hosting a great challenge.

We should all take a moment to think about Sailorman for he has lost his life doing what we all WaterTribers love to do, be outdoors, be challenged, be free and independent.

Sail on Sailorman

89102148_10222212702456450_2572807082432528384_n.jpg

89114052_10222212702776458_2876653504405962752_n.jpg

sailorman.JPG

• Like 6
11 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

20kts boat speed has a quality all its own!   Their average speed for the course was 10.43 knots/hr (300 mi divided by 28.75 hours for the doubters.)  Bumpy and MachoMan still have the absolute course record of 26.2 hours.   

Spawn’s course average through Flamingo was 8.53kts/hr (265mi, 31.083 hours).   Their monohull record works out to 8.16kts/hr average (300mi/36.75 hrs).   The conditions would not allow them to finish in less than 5.75 hours going the long way.  

Amy’s blog has one last picture of Spawn’s interior under the bow in her latest entry showing a centerline plywood bulkhead split horizontally fore and aft   It looks like there was a lot of flexing of the boat while pounding in the seas they had experienced.    I’m glad they stopped when they did.

- Stumbling

I bet the speeds are higher for Chaos and SewSew.  The course is a bit less than 300 miles.  If you can take all the shortest routes it can be as low as 260 miles.  Of course going around Florida Bay adds miles and brings it closer to 300.  

1 minute ago, ZeroTheHero said:

I bet the speeds are higher for Chaos and SewSew.  The course is a bit less than 300 miles.  If you can take all the shortest routes it can be as low as 260 miles.  Of course going around Florida Bay adds miles and brings it closer to 300.  

I’m certain they hit “Plaid Speed” more than a few times out there!

- Stumbling 

3 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

I’m certain they hit “Plaid Speed” more than a few times out there!

- Stumbling 

What type of boat for you next year ?

39 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

Capri 16.5   Going solo.  Fixing her up to sail through the summer,  then get started Tribe-a-fying her in the fall.   

-Stumbling 

Cool!

2 hours ago, BravoBravo said:
3 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

Capri 16.5   Going solo.  Fixing her up to sail through the summer,  then get started Tribe-a-fying her in the fall.   

-Stumbling 

Cool!

Yes, and a little nuts. In addition to the interesting designs created for this race, I enjoy watching completely inappropriate uses of common boats.

My favorite so far was the madman who decided a Finn was a good choice. I guess it was, since he made it.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

-Stumbling 

You'll have a sporty ride :D  Kick-up rudder?  Can you sleep OK on the cockpit floor or a thwart?  Rowing sculls for aux propulsion (ask around at local rowing clubs)? 

Because she's a pretty light boat, you could experiment with a couple of 5gal buckets (with screw-on watertight lids) that each provide 80# ballast when filled with wet sand and placed just forward of the hatch.  Fill before the start if blowing; dump if things lighten; or fill enroute if conditions freshen.  You can also just fill with water -- 40# each.

DKHT

Edited by DonKeyHoTey
more to say
30 minutes ago, DonKeyHoTey said:

-Stumbling 

You'll have a sporty ride :D  Kick-up rudder?  Can you sleep OK on the cockpit floor or a thwart?  Rowing sculls for aux propulsion (ask around at local rowing clubs)? 

Because she's a pretty light boat, you could experiment with a couple of 5gal buckets (with screw-on watertight lids) that each provide 80# ballast when filled with wet sand and placed just forward of the hatch.  Fill before the start if blowing; dump if things lighten; or fill enroute if conditions freshen.  You can also just fill with water -- 40# each.

DKHT

Worth trying out, ballasting forward may affect the self-bailing which is one of the BIG advantages IMHO. I'd be more inclined, time permitting, making a ballasted centerboard to give better hang-time in hard situations off shore. You need enough drinking water, which may as well function as ballast.

Good reefing, good upwind performance, good rowing, good shallow-water running ability... interesting and difficult mix of characterisitics needed for the Challenge. I agree with TomR that a Finn is not a boat which jumps up and yells "Me! Me! Do the EC in ME!!" but hats off to the crazy determined WTer who succeeded. Last year we saw a relatively well prepped Windmill, dunno if he finished.

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

Yes, and a little nuts. In addition to the interesting designs created for this race, I enjoy watching completely inappropriate uses of common boats.

My favorite so far was the madman who decided a Finn was a good choice. I guess it was, since he made it.

I don’t know, I think the vessel assembled from a star, laser and sunfish to be pretty out there.

- St

50 minutes ago, DonKeyHoTey said:

DKHT

- Stumbling 

1 hour ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

I prefer the term: unencumbered mind.

My first idea was to buy a Thistle hull, split it down the middle, pull the stern apart a foot and a half, glass in the opened wedge on the bottom and deck it level with the top of the centerboard trunk.  The more I thought about it, the greater the long shot that the performance would be there. 

My aim is to have the potential to beat the single hand monohull record (Jarhead, 2 days 23.75 hrs, Sea pearl 21).

- Stumbling 

Am in negotiations with a current competitor to buy their sculls and oarlocks.  Am thinking of a sliding rigger to keep the weight centered and also use the rails as support for a removable sleeping platform.   (Centerboard trailing edge rides above the floorboards fully retracted.)

- Stumbling 

10 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

Triple.  Any more than that and someone would be dragging a Melges 24 off the beach.

- Stumbling 

Oh, I think Spawn would give a Melges 24 a run for her money in anything except just-planing broad reach. I darn sure wouldn't want to try and rig one for rowing, nor for sailing fast thru shallows.

I did not see the E-scow when they were there, they tried two or three times and did not finish. Some who saw the boat said it was a beater, not well rigged. Seems like a good choice for shallow running but not for rough water. I'd still like to fit up a Flying Dutchman for it.

FB- Doug

2 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I'd still like to fit up a Flying Dutchman for it.

FB- Doug

Yup -- though not with that rig, particularly solo!  I recently revived an fg '85 Parker 5o5 and re-rigged her with 105 sf lugs'l and 30 sf 420 jib for solo knocking about (55sf stock jib also usable but overkill).  Don't cringe -- she's PDQ, sweet-handling, and a hella lot more user-friendly than a Finn. The berserker in me would give her a 300 mile whirl.  But then I remember that I'm on Medicare, and that I've been in other ECs not much different from this year....

DKHT

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, DonKeyHoTey said:

Yup -- though not with that rig, particularly solo!  I recently revived an fg '85 Parker 5o5 and re-rigged her with 105 sf lugs'l and 30 sf 420 jib for solo knocking about (55sf stock jib also usable but overkill).  Don't cringe -- she's PDQ, sweet-handling, and a hella lot more user-friendly than a Finn. The berserker in me would give her a 300 mile whirl.  But then I remember that I'm on Medicare, and that I've been in other ECs not much different from this year....

DKHT

Lugsails are very useful.

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Oh, I think Spawn would give a Melges 24 a run for her money in anything except just-planing broad reach. I darn sure wouldn't want to try and rig one for rowing, nor for sailing fast thru shallows.

I did not see the E-scow when they were there, they tried two or three times and did not finish. Some who saw the boat said it was a beater, not well rigged. Seems like a good choice for shallow running but not for rough water. I'd still like to fit up a Flying Dutchman for it.

FB- Doug

Spawn’s mast is a repurposed one from a Melges 20.   Apparently The first batch of masts had a flaw in them and were replaced.

-Stumbling 

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

Definitely a different boat.  This year’s E scow was a much better specimen than the one that made the appearances a while back. 

The fixed rudders limit them in the shallows, in addition to the addressing of performance in rough conditions.  Probably better to have a pair of kick up cat rudders mounted in some way on the transom.  

- Stumbling 

• Like 1

I was disappointing to see that the modified Raider did not compete. Had been registered, but did not Confirm.     

This was my old FrankenRaider, an original hull design, the last one pulled from that mold. I put it together with spare parts, but it did have excellent sails, including a catamaran mainsail with reef points and a custom Glazer self tacking jib.

The new owner spent a lot of effort cutting the bow deck off and fashioning a cuddy cabin. I think an asymmetrical spin was also added. Would have made an excellent mount for the EC. Maybe next year.    Dave Ellis

• Like 2

Definitely a different boat.  This year’s E scow was a much better specimen than the one that made the appearances a while back. 

The fixed rudders limit them in the shallows, in addition to the addressing of performance in rough conditions.  Probably better to have a pair of kick up cat rudders mounted in some way on the transom.  

- Stumbling 

Fixed rudders for this race make zero sense.  The E-scow is an awesome boat but fixed rudders in shallows?  

I've only raced on an E-scow against other E-scows but against Melges 24s on other boats.  My gut, if the E-scow doesn't sink it crushes the Melges.

I definitely have the stupidity and doggedness to do this race.  Skill?  Probably not so much.

On 3/17/2020 at 8:42 PM, ZeroTheHero said:

I was planning on going solo in class 4 next year but that idea is gone now.  Far too much risk for me.

I enjoyed my solo experience this year.  Really let me get my head into it.  Came and went as I pleased, did as I pleased.

My wife hated it and sent me assistance when I hadn't asked for it and didn't need it.  However, I was aware of what was going on with the Core Sound and I knew she was aware, and one or 2 AIs had sunk, so I went along with it and pulled the plug early.  I wasn't making very good progress any way. 

I won't solo again, in the interest of not causing stress for wife and kids. 

35 minutes ago, TBW said:

I enjoyed my solo experience this year.  Really let me get my head into it.  Came and went as I pleased, did as I pleased.

My wife hated it and sent me assistance when I hadn't asked for it and didn't need it.  However, I was aware of what was going on with the Core Sound and I knew she was aware, and one or 2 AIs had sunk, so I went along with it and pulled the plug early.  I wasn't making very good progress any way. 

I won't solo again, in the interest of not causing stress for wife and kids. 

Solo offshore distance sailing would be easier than EC...hands down !

10 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

I don’t know, I think the vessel assembled from a star, laser and sunfish to be pretty out there.

- St

- Stumbling 

I prefer the term: unencumbered mind.

My first idea was to buy a Thistle hull, split it down the middle, pull the stern apart a foot and a half, glass in the opened wedge on the bottom and deck it level with the top of the centerboard trunk.  The more I thought about it, the greater the long shot that the performance would be there. 

My aim is to have the potential to beat the single hand monohull record (Jarhead, 2 days 23.75 hrs, Sea pearl 21).

- Stumbling 

Beating Jarhead's record would be quite an achievement. If you want to succeed, I suggest you do a race two-up first so you can get a better feel for the course and the rhythms needed to go that fast. You will need a boat that rows well, too. It's a huge difference in hours to be able to row through a channel or inlet against wind and tide rather than just waiting for conditions to change. Or even just rowing 2-10 miles in a calm will cut so many hours from your time.  I know Jarhead rows a lot! And also hope you get the right weather the year you do it. 

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

Beating Jarhead's record would be quite an achievement. If you want to succeed, I suggest you do a race two-up first so you can get a better feel for the course and the rhythms needed to go that fast. You will need a boat that rows well, too. It's a huge difference in hours to be able to row through a channel or inlet against wind and tide rather than just waiting for conditions to change. Or even just rowing 2-10 miles in a calm will cut so many hours from your time.  I know Jarhead rows a lot! And also hope you get the right weather the year you do it. 

I've learned this year that a fast boat alone isn't going to be the fastest solo boat. I think the boat and skipper that can stay moving the longest without either failing is going to be the winning combination. My main focus for next time will be adjusting the nut behind the wheel.

I could have knocked several hours off my time with better rest strategy and several hours more with wind/routing strategy. Only experience can fix that. I've often heard that every race is different too. I want to build a pedal drive for my cat, but I don't think it would have made a huge difference to my overall time this year. 

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, CatFive said:

I've learned this year that a fast boat alone isn't going to be the fastest solo boat. I think the boat and skipper that can stay moving the longest without either failing is going to be the winning combination. My main focus for next time will be adjusting the nut behind the wheel.

I could have knocked several hours off my time with better rest strategy and several hours more with wind/routing strategy. Only experience can fix that. I've often heard that every race is different too. I want to build a pedal drive for my cat, but I don't think it would have made a huge difference to my overall time this year. 

The point is not to have the fastest boat, but to not slow down.    I’ve got a lot of testing to do, rowing, maybe pedal drive.  

Likewise, making the boat efficient and easy to operate is a high priority.  

Finally, I’ve got to get my meat bag into shape to power the whole setup in marathon mode.  

Primary goal is to finish.  Anything after that is gravy.

- Stumbling  

• Like 3
On 3/16/2020 at 1:42 PM, BravoBravo said:

I've gone across that pass on an incoming tide and 20+ knot east wind.  It was pretty nasty.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, unShirley said:

The discussion above about various kinds of EC craft is interesting.  How did the Tremolino do this year?

They were the boat right next to ours. We helped them a little bit getting the boat together. They still did not have it rigged at the start and I'm not sure they ever even started. I have no idea what was going on with that couple, but they did not appear in a big hurry to get rigged and ready. 

5 hours ago, CatFive said:

Keeping moving is the real key. "Sail when you can, rest when you can't" is the mantra for the fast guys. 

Since I switched over from a monohull to a sailing kayak, I've discovered the pure luxury of sleeping on land. We could have gone faster if we'd set alarms in the morning and got going again at o'dark thirty but we knew we didn't want to be in Flamingo before Wednesday morning so we slept until sunrise every day but the last. It was delightful. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

They were the boat right next to ours. We helped them a little bit getting the boat together. They still did not have it rigged at the start and I'm not sure they ever even started. I have no idea what was going on with that couple, but they did not appear in a big hurry to get rigged and ready. 

I would think it would be a bear to drag off the beach.   The main hull has a pretty deep v to its shape.  I would think that would make it a bigger pita in shallow water.  

-Stumbling 

58 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

I would think it (a Tremolino)  would be a bear to drag off the beach.   The main hull has a pretty deep v to its shape.  I would think that would make it a bigger pita in shallow water.  

-Stumbling 

Yes, it is definitely too heavy for two people to drag across the beach.  But the main hull does have a flat section that might allow it to be moved on those yellow rollers you guys use.  BTW:  where does one get those yellow rollers?

17 minutes ago, unShirley said:

BTW:  where does one get those yellow rollers?

https://www.duckworks.com/product-p/aere-br.htm -- about $70 each -- or you can buy them directly from Aere. You generally need three for an EC beach launch.  At about 5' L x 9" OD, they have about 140# of buoyancy.  I keep them strapped under my side decks as flotation.  They make great backrests when  I'm sitting on the cockpit floor and not in my beanbag chair... 

DKHT

• Like 1

I can drag my cat across grass all day long, but when I went to pull it down the beach, the sharp skegs dug in and I knew there was going to be problems. I tossed seaweed under the skegs thinking the boat would slide over it. Instead the seaweed stuck to the boat and created even more drag. I grabbed the anchor and set it on the beach. I had a snatch block ready to rig onto the rear beam. With 2:1 purchase, it was time consuming but definitely steady progress to the water. It's not weight so much as the darn skegs digging in. 

I envision a 'rope ladder' with pvc rungs laid out behind the hulls to act as sliders for next time.  

31 minutes ago, CatFive said:

I can drag my cat across grass all day long, but when I went to pull it down the beach, the sharp skegs dug in and I knew there was going to be problems. I tossed seaweed under the skegs thinking the boat would slide over it. Instead the seaweed stuck to the boat and created even more drag. I grabbed the anchor and set it on the beach. I had a snatch block ready to rig onto the rear beam. With 2:1 purchase, it was time consuming but definitely steady progress to the water. It's not weight so much as the darn skegs digging in. 

I envision a 'rope ladder' with pvc rungs laid out behind the hulls to act as sliders for next time.  

In 2018 we used 4 small fenders.  2 under each hull.  Flew down the beach.  Would likely work for you too.  

Safety Dance 20' Highlander Class Sailboat For Sale

Highlander # 912

2 Time EC finisher.

3rd in Class 2019

2nd in Class 2020

Full optimized for the EC, a fast reacher and runner with remarkable windward ability, even in shallow water with very little board down. Centerboard is faired, tough aluminum.

Full bow bulkhead, 1500 GPH Rule electric bilge pump, Hobie Bob masthead float, 2 deep reefs led to the mast. 2 jibs rigged for the Harken High Load roller furler with a halyard top swivel. new shrouds and forestay. Large factory seat air tanks with foam blocks inside.

Renova 150 watt solar panel with a Renova charge controller, 2 waterproof USB charging ports located conveniently underdeck. Garmin 64cv chartplotter Blue Chart G3 loaded with two sucessful EC tracks stored (with spray shield). Yusa 20ah motorcycle battery and a dedicated Lithona 8ah battery for the bilge pump.

3 North Arex spinnakers, 300 sqft and a 200 sqft symetric and a 430 sqft masthead asymetric flown from a 4.5 ft  carbon fiber sprit. tapered aluminum spinnaker pole, Crispy Quantum mainsail with 2 reefs. Jib halyard and main outhaul are led to Harken magic boxes,

Carbon fiber jib lead platforms, padded internal deck spanning the centerboard, 4 beach roller store under deck and are included. Running backstays for asym use. All Harken carbo/Ronstan carbon blocks and cleats.Vectran Halyards, spectra and dyeema running rigging.

Reinforced rudder and hardware that kicks up absolutely flush to the hull, suprisingly does not load up that badly when kicked up due to limited wetted surface. Carbon fiber tiller Ronstan battlestick extension.

Custom SPOT mount, multiple coaming mounted storage bags. 2 new Elvstrom sutcton bailers/transom ports. Mylar centerboard gasket, polished bottom with minimal scuffs.

Go anywhere trailer with recent tires.

Stored indoors 24/7  A absolutely turn key EC contender, fast, seaworthy and good to her crew.

Why? NateDog and I are going to give Class 5 a try.

$ 8500.

813 957 242 one

AndyMan

SD Passage Key.jpg

• Like 1

At Wit's End's Windrider 17 is For Sale (Just 4 years old)

This is the Windrider justanothersailor sailed this 2020 EC.

Many upgrades include:

Screecher & prod , Main (2) reefs, jib

Bleacher seats

Peddle Drive

Running Back-stays

Electrical System / running lights, lighted compass

Proper reefing system that works

Topping lift

Anchor

Paddle

Whale Bilge Pump

Factory galvanized trailer

Asking $8,000

2018 EC Class 5 2nd place doublehanded

Class 5, Double Male /2 Days, 4 Hours, 25 Min

Contact justanothersailor guydeboer@gmail.com

89102148_10222212702456450_2572807082432528384_n.jpg

89114052_10222212702776458_2876653504405962752_n.jpg

10 hours ago, sail10338 said:

Safety Dance 20' Highlander Class Sailboat For Sale

Highlander # 912

2 Time EC finisher.

3rd in Class 2019

2nd in Class 2020

Full optimized for the EC, a fast reacher and runner with remarkable windward ability, even in shallow water with very little board down. Centerboard is faired, tough aluminum.

Full bow bulkhead, 1500 GPH Rule electric bilge pump, Hobie Bob masthead float, 2 deep reefs led to the mast. 2 jibs rigged for the Harken High Load roller furler with a halyard top swivel. new shrouds and forestay. Large factory seat air tanks with foam blocks inside.

Renova 150 watt solar panel with a Renova charge controller, 2 waterproof USB charging ports located conveniently underdeck. Garmin 64cv chartplotter Blue Chart G3 loaded with two sucessful EC tracks stored (with spray shield). Yusa 20ah motorcycle battery and a dedicated Lithona 8ah battery for the bilge pump.

3 North Arex spinnakers, 300 sqft and a 200 sqft symetric and a 430 sqft masthead asymetric flown from a 4.5 ft  carbon fiber sprit. tapered aluminum spinnaker pole, Crispy Quantum mainsail with 2 reefs. Jib halyard and main outhaul are led to Harken magic boxes,

Carbon fiber jib lead platforms, padded internal deck spanning the centerboard, 4 beach roller store under deck and are included. Running backstays for asym use. All Harken carbo/Ronstan carbon blocks and cleats.Vectran Halyards, spectra and dyeema running rigging.

Reinforced rudder and hardware that kicks up absolutely flush to the hull, suprisingly does not load up that badly when kicked up due to limited wetted surface. Carbon fiber tiller Ronstan battlestick extension.

Custom SPOT mount, multiple coaming mounted storage bags. 2 new Elvstrom sutcton bailers/transom ports. Mylar centerboard gasket, polished bottom with minimal scuffs.

Go anywhere trailer with recent tires.

Stored indoors 24/7  A absolutely turn key EC contender, fast, seaworthy and good to her crew.

Why? NateDog and I are going to give Class 5 a try.

$ 8500.

813 957 242 one

AndyMan

SD Passage Key.jpg

As a formrt Thistle builder I think this is the coolest boat in the EC!

• Like 1

Seems like a lot of people selling off their boats.  Think I will do the same.

For some reason I find myself drawn to class 3. 

I am thinking a Solway Dory Bermuda Expedition Rig on a Skin on Frame canoe would be a lot of fun.  Maybe not the fastest, but fun.

Once I bought new sails, I became pretty invested in the boat because I won't sell it for anything near what I've sunk into it. Plus I have a pretty good platform for next year. The boat itself is a relatively cheap part of the equation, unless you buy something like Safety Dance, which already has everything you need

Congratulations to LRock and Yeti On finishing the Ultimate Florida Challenge this year on last Tuesday!   I was not in my right mind that day (was cleaning the attic in the left mind!)

17 days 2 hours and 18 minutes for an UFC plus (sailed the Cedar Key  to Fort Desoto twice, for a total distance of 1,720 miles) on a cat!

Saaalluuute!

-Stumbling 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, CatFive said:

Many of you have already seen part 1 of my write up on Facebook, but for those who aren't:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gTY-AqJcliGfUNgGmVVlEPz_0krPVa4pBvRgLUcdae4/edit?usp=sharing

Gripping story!    I am looking forward to part 2. 

- Stumbling 

6 hours to cross Charlotte Harbor on a SUP (12 miles) ..the Collins guy ended up in the hospital for several days after dropping out

Screenshot_(124).png

The first set trigger was the purchase of a Capri 16.5.

The second set trigger was just pulled today.   The Bucket was entered in class 4, monohull, single for EC2021.

I am going from just sounding insane to proving it...

- Stumbling

• Like 3
On 3/16/2020 at 1:31 PM, fastyacht said:

Why are people obsessed with toilet paper? There is this thing called a shower...

Just back and catching up on reading.   Ya ever see a boat dragging a tee shirt?  Or one on the aft deck of a kayak?

just say’n

Having done 5 Everglades Challenges and the around Florida Ultimate Challenge, I mourn the loss of a kindred spirit.  

Those who have done an EC can learn from what happened.  Those who sit on the beach- well your conjecture is amusing.  But like making love to woman, or being 500 miles offshore, until ‘been there/done that’ it’s all conjecture!

• Like 3
On 3/29/2020 at 5:45 PM, stumblingthunder said:

The second set trigger was just pulled today.   The Bucket was entered in class 4, monohull, single for EC2021.

- Stumbling

Looks like a decent boat to do it in. I see similarities to Waterstrider's CL16 in which he did well

1 hour ago, CatFive said:

Great tale. I don't think we met this year, but hope to see you again. I loved your story about Schappi. In 2019 we wound up at every CP together and got a lot a chance to get to know him. He's a terrific sailor, very humble, and very funny. He gave his boat away at the end this year to a teenage triber, saying that he loved his time here but two was enough because he had other adventures in mind. 

On 3/29/2020 at 5:45 PM, stumblingthunder said:

- Stumbling

Good luck. I'll probably be inspecting boats next year, so I'll be sure to say hello. Either that or I'll hand you some soup at CP-1. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, @last said:

Great Story!  Thanks for the read, a nice diversion for us up north/a little cool to sail yet and cooped up due to the virus.

If it wasn't for the isolation period and this crap weather, I may not have written it.

• Like 2

CatFive.....that was awesome....I'll never sail this event but as long as I am in our condo at Bonita Beach, I'll be on the lookout the first weekend of March....best to you and congratulations....

CatFive,

Thanks for the write up it was all too familiar. I hope to do one for our trip as well before it leaves my brain. We enjoyed hanging out with you at the finish. Canada was well represented this year. Johnny Mac pictured below...you're all welcome :). This sailor figured someone should probably keep a head count from shore. 
I hope to see you again someday.

-Alan aka SOS

20200313_080014.thumb.jpg.0a51115986652badd1365714d949561b.jpg

20200313_080128.thumb.jpg.1af38c2e9288c49d3767dea4dc924163.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Last man on the Ultimate Florida Challenge, MisterC, finishes tomorrow at Fort Desoto!

1,200 miles of hydro-quarantine...  He has a wonderful way with maintaining personal separation in what has been Much more entertaining for him than the rest of us have been experiencing!

- Stumbling 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2020 at 11:50 PM, sailwriter said:

I was disappointing to see that the modified Raider did not compete. Had been registered, but did not Confirm.     

This was my old FrankenRaider, an original hull design, the last one pulled from that mold. I put it together with spare parts, but it did have excellent sails, including a catamaran mainsail with reef points and a custom Glazer self tacking jib.

The new owner spent a lot of effort cutting the bow deck off and fashioning a cuddy cabin. I think an asymmetrical spin was also added. Would have made an excellent mount for the EC. Maybe next year.    Dave Ellis

There looks to be a Raider signed up for next year’s EC.  Possibly your old boat?

- Stumbling 

• 3 weeks later...

Sailorman’s story. https://www.tampabay.com/news/pinellas/2020/05/27/a-st-pete-sailor-dreamed-of-an-epic-adventure-then-he-disappeared/

It seems so long ago now with all that’s transpired after we got back home, but it’s really only been a handful of weeks. I have a lot of sympathy for his fiancé who hasn’t been able to get much comfort from family and friends in this time of quarantine.  The article gives no new answers as to what happened and sadly we’ll never know. 

• Like 2

I posted earlier that his diabetes might have had a major role in this.  Exercise, sun, and dehydration can combine to drop your blood sugar pretty quick.  You then fall into a psychotic state before losing consciousness and then a coma.  You can be euphoric when you get to the psychotic state which explains pressing the ok button.  After a certain point you don't realize you are in trouble until it is too late.  Sad story.

• Like 1