whatcha cookin for turkey day?

I was ordered to do the cooking for the feast as the other side of the family could fuck up ice water ;-)

new this year (along with the yearly staples) :

smoked stuffed pork loin with mushrooms and wild rice

peach praline pie

Medium bird and a standing beef Roast.  Smoked ham on the side.  My son and one daughter and her fiance are joining us.  Will send them all back home with a bunch of leftovers.  

Pellet smoker controller died and company is out of business so either have to fix the controller, find a generic replacement that will work or get e new smoker.  Given it will be rain, cold and 40 knots of wind tomorrow, it's not like outside cooking was going to happen this year.  

Going to a friend's house and they always do it up with a big turkey, a duck, and a million sides for about 12 people. I'm the gravy guy and my wife is the mashed potato whisperer. I always make at least a gallon of gravy. As my MIL likes to say, Thanksgiving's not over until the gravy's gone. 

EDIT: Funny thing is, the hosts and the crowd are mostly lesbian and I'm the only middle-aged white dude there. I'm always drafted as the designated bird carver and I always feel like everyone's a consenting slave to the patriarchy at that moment.

6 minutes ago, IStream said:

Going to a friend's house and they always do it up with a big turkey, a duck, and a million sides for about 12 people. I'm the gravy guy and my wife is the mashed potato whisperer. I always make at least a gallon of gravy. As my MIL likes to say, Thanksgiving's not over until the gravy's gone. 

EDIT: Funny thing is, the hosts and the crowd are mostly lesbian and I'm the only middle-aged white dude there. I'm always drafted as the designated bird carver and I always feel like everyone's a willing slave to the patriarchy at that moment.

7 minutes ago, IStream said:

EDIT: Funny thing is, the hosts and the crowd are mostly lesbian and I'm the only middle-aged white dude there. I'm always drafted as the designated bird carver and I always feel like everyone's a consenting slave to the patriarchy at that moment.

consenting being the key here!

Re turkey stuffing, my late mum taught me how she did it, courtesy of her uncle Bert Troedel, once president of the Australian food and wine society.  

Stuff the neck end ONLY, and seal it over with the flap of skin and stitches ( bent paperclips do fine).  Stuffing the body cavity leads to all sorts of problems.

1/2 lb pork sausage meat, 1/4 lb finely minced turkey liver, 4 finely minced bacon slices, 1 cup small breadcrumbs, mixed herbs (NO garlic), S&P and a healthy splosh of ketchup.  1 egg to bind it.  Mungle it all up in a bowl and stuff into neck cavity to roast with the bird.  It should be the consistency of a thick paté.  Serve thin slices on each plate.

And turkey carving, courtesy of my late dad, a surgeon.  

Cut off legs and wings and carve them.  Put on a separate plate for dark meat, with whole drumsticks. Remove the wishbone and add to this plate.

Cut off the two breasts with a long flexible knife close to the breastbone, pulling them away from the breastbone with the other hand.  You may have to make a horizontal cut above the wing to free the breast. 

On a cutting board, slice each breast crossways, about 1/2" thick slices.  This preserves a bit of skin on each slice and goes "against the grain" so it's much nicer.  Faster too.  Arrange in order on a large dish to make it all look pretty.

• Like 1

So my wife and I do thanksgiving dinner for her side of the family. I am pretty picky about certain things and feel that for a meal that is done once a year you don’t try new recipes for the first time. So we stick with the basics but we have recently tried a couple of new recipes that we are adding to the menu. But we are keeping the standards as well.

To make it more difficult we cook half of it at our house and then go to my MILs house to finish everything there. Mom can’t travel so it’s easier on her for us to do it this way  

roasting a turkey, plus smoking a bone in breast.

Mash po, sweet potatoes, dressing/stuffing, a pasta based dressing, salad, rolls, green beans... 

Chestnut/apple/onion/ corn bread dressing is my specialty. I also won't accept thanksgiving w/o cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, and something else......... Oh yeah! Maple syrup infused turkey with orange (or this year, tangerine) baste.

Basic stuff, grown kids want the dinner to be what they remembered as kids.  So turkey on the grill, sausage/onion/celery/whole grain bread stuffing.  Roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon and balsamic vinegar.  Classic green bean/mushroom soup casserole.  My late son’s favorite.  Pecan pie, apple crisp, pumpkin squares.  Whipped cream and ice cream. Enough wine for a DUI.

Friend of mine hosts a mob of 2 dozen people. He does a smoked turkey, a deep fried turkey and a turducken.  I need to get an invite to his place.

31 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

Basic stuff, grown kids want the dinner to be what they remembered as kids.  So turkey on the grill, sausage/onion/celery/whole grain bread stuffing.  Roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon and balsamic vinegar.  Classic green bean/mushroom soup casserole.  My late son’s favorite.  Pecan pie, apple crisp, pumpkin squares.  Whipped cream and ice cream. Enough wine for a DUI.

Friend of mine hosts a mob of 2 dozen people. He does a smoked turkey, a deep fried turkey and a turducken.  I need to get an invite to his place.

Condolences on your son, JG. I nearly lost mine in a car accident about three months ago but he escaped death or paralysis by a hairsbreadth.  

I do the same stuffing except with cornbread. You can't beat the classics.

13 hours ago, P_Wop said:

I'm going to be sad, miserable and alone.  Again.

A Trader Joe's turkey pot pie in the toast'r'oven and a couple of glasses of Cotes du Rhone. 

Those are the best Thanksgivings. Go to the bar, keep a $20 for a cab home, there are usually a few lushy ladies there looking for a dirty old man.

And if that fails, the best Thanksgiving meal, no cooking required ...

77-773498_tecate-beer-cans-24-case-hd-pn

13 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

well if you we're in dallas, you could come to my house

Thanks, chum.  But a long way away.

Well, an ex lady friend (still a good friend) asked me today if I could join her and her elderly dad for TG dinner tomorrow.  An interesting buffet, which looks pretty OK. https://thebluedoorrestaurant.com/thanksgiving/

I think that's an idea that several places could emulate.

10 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

Well, an ex lady friend (still a good friend) asked me today if I could join her and her elderly dad for TG dinner tomorrow.  An interesting buffet, which looks pretty OK. https://thebluedoorrestaurant.com/thanksgiving/

mmmm, prime rib,   haven't had any in a long time...    well glad you don't have to pull out the tin dinner...  

I was tasked with pies. Pecan, punkin, and mince

3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

bird is done..

IMG_0891c.JPG

carcass is now in the soup pot...    came out perfect,  no brining ,  no rubs, bunch of twigs of rosemary, couple quartered apples and onions on the inside ..  white and dark meat moist ...   can't wait for sandmiches ..

On 11/27/2019 at 8:35 AM, P_Wop said:

I'm going to be sad, miserable and alone.  Again.

A Trader Joe's turkey pot pie in the toast'r'oven and a couple of glasses of Cotes du Rhone. 

Spend the day inside a dive bar. Everyone should do at least one Thanksgiving Day getting falling down drunk with strangers. 

14 hours ago, P_Wop said:

You could do a helluva lot worse than that. I like that they snuck the Adas Polo onto the menu, shame they didn't put dolma on there too!

Prime rib and fixings last night. Turkey and fixings tonight. Mashed taters, green bean casserole, cornbread dressing, cranberry relish, gravy, broccoli au gratin, kings Hawaiian rolls, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, Mt. Gay Rum, egg nog, Coca Cola, nutmeg, Ron Santiago de Cuba rum, some ginger food to fill in the blanks. 

A good start. 

i think im about to shit a whole turkey with the head of a pig sitting on a bed of lasagna sticking his face into a vat of cheesecake  ;-)   I may be ill ...

round 2.....errr   3  starts in 30 minutes

1 minute ago, dacapo said:

i think im about to shit a whole turkey with the head of a pig sitting on a bed of lasagna sticking his face into a vat of cheesecake  ;-)   I may be ill ...

round 2.....errr   3  starts in 30 minutes

Don't chew too much else you splinter the turkey bones. Just swallow and hope for the best.

16 hours ago, P_Wop said:

man, they would have to roll me out of there on a gurney!

Smoked a bird on the BGE and a venison stuffed porcetta in the vertical smoker...had that shit rolling...ladies in the kitchen were struggling to keep up with me with their side dishes...

DSC00716.jpg

DSC00719.jpg

Lasagna.  Not "just" lasagna, but the worlds finest, best tasting meal you ever ran into lasagna.

My kids vetoed the bird with all of the trimmings a few years ago, said it was dry and tasteless, and ordered me to make lasagna instead.  No arguments here, could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner 7 days a week.  And it was mighty fine tonight.  My mom's (RIP) recipe.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Lasagna.  Not "just" lasagna, but the worlds finest, best tasting meal you ever ran into lasagna.

My kids vetoed the bird with all of the trimmings a few years ago, said it was dry and tasteless, and ordered me to make lasagna instead.  No arguments here, could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner 7 days a week.  And it was mighty fine tonight.  My mom's (RIP) recipe.

google  alton brown  baked turkey watch the videos , there's 2      came out perfect    usual problem is white meat needs 160*  and dark meat 180*  , if you hit the second temp, without any compensation the white meat will be dry as a bone.

Roasted two turkey breasts and some thighs and drumsticks, with mashed potatoes, turkey gravy, mushroom gravy, sweet potatoes, roasted carrots, brussels sprouts with cider reduction, oyster dressing, sauteed whole mushrooms, homemade butterhorn rolls and fresh churned homemade butter.

Pumpkin pie, raspberry pie, cranberry pie with pecan crumble, and homemade vanilla ice cream.

And to get me through the day, some nice Jameson Stout.

9 minutes ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQ4BMWAz_-EDfAmV5t6Oq

50 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

google  alton brown  baked turkey watch the videos , there's 2      came out perfect    usual problem is white meat needs 160*  and dark meat 180*  , if you hit the second temp, without any compensation the white meat will be dry as a bone.

Spatchcock Baby!...that bird hit 160° breast/175° thigh...

18 hours ago, chester said:

man, they would have to roll me out of there on a gurney!

We came close to that. 

She Crab soup (because Maryland)

Roast Turkey w/gravy

Standing Beef Rib Roast -rare

Smoked ham

Mashed Potatoes

roast veggies - butternut, parsnips, carrots, onions

Asparagus

stuffing

cranberry sauce

Joined friends for dessert with about 5 homemade pies and 3 cobblers.  Ladies from 3 generations and 2 extended family groups were not going to buy desserts  

Carcass made stock yesterday evening. Soup is simmering right now  

I had to give up and just sample dessert. I think I’ll be in sweat pants until Monday .  

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

A really simple solution to this if you don't want to go the spatchcock route is to just roast the bird breast-down. The pan shields the breast from any direct oven heat, all the juices flow down into the white meat, and the legs and thighs get more exposure. Win-win-win and it's damn near foolproof. The only downside is you don't get bronzed skin over the breast but I don't really care about that.