Stingray~

INEOS Team GB

1 hour ago, dullers said:

You really are pretending to be English if you think we won the Football world cup in 1965. Every Englishmen including me who hates soccer knows it is 1966.  Its like forgetting the Battle of Hastings in 1067!

I’m not British I’m a kiwi who lived 15 years in England and raised my family their. All I said is that I supported Ineos, you said I was a Brit bashing kiwi. If you believe or not believe that I support Ineos is totally up to you. It’s not worth  fighting about 

6 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Are the shed doors open at the Ineos base this morning? 

Yup Frackers shed doors opened 9.30 dock out just past 12.00.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dullers said:

You really are pretending to be English if you think we won the Football world cup in 1965. Every Englishmen including me who hates soccer knows it is 1966.  Its like forgetting the Battle of Hastings in 1067!

Or, as Blackadder might put it “The great universities Oxford, Cambridge and Hull.”

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

INSIDER UPDATE!

The man who dresses his dog has moved on from talking about major upgrades and is focussing on “tweaking for speed”. 

Also, in related news, he’s cheered up after INEOS proved they could actually get around the course. He does however seem to be slightly deluded about “all” the teams being close.

3129853F-3AB6-41EC-BB48-71890BC69A58.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

INSIDER UPDATE!

The man who dresses his dog has moved on from talking about major upgrades and is focussing on “tweaking for speed”. 

Also, in related news, he’s cheered up after INEOS proved they could actually get around the course. He does however seem to be slightly deluded about “all” the teams being close.

3129853F-3AB6-41EC-BB48-71890BC69A58.jpeg

Who is the 'er that he is inside?  Talks a load of crap.  Credibility less than zero at the moment.

Anyone watching the training over the last few months could see that nothing has changed in terms of sailing other than the speed at which it happens.

In saying that I was surprised how much trimming is done on the main.

7 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Who is the 'er that he is inside?  Talks a load of crap.  Credibility less than zero at the moment.

Anyone watching the training over the last few months could see that nothing has changed in terms of sailing other than the speed at which it happens.

In saying that I was surprised how much trimming is done on the main.

Yeah Tony is simply a pom playing games with his keyboard. He knows nothing about Ineos. His original post was simply click bait seeking attention. Moving onto Ineos I'm starting to think NZ were happy to let Nick Holroyd go? Grant Dalton "Let him go to another team that would be great for us" And I must say I'm disappointed with Grant Simmer as CEO he should be taking the heat of Ben and putting it on himself to a point. Can you imagine if ETNZ were slow and all the questions and heat was going to Peter Burling? It simply wouldn't happen. Grant Dalton would be taking the heat. We have designers, we have simulators and it seems so far what Ineos have isn't up to par but I'll reserve my opinion for when this is over. Some resumes and future's being decided over the next few months

• Like 2

Does anyone know why the keel of Ineos B2 is shaped like a box? I remember reading in an interview the hard edges was to help stall the flow between the two sides but why not just use a blade like in Luna Rossa or Te Rehutai? Maybe the designers underestimated their flight/height control systems and wanted to make the boat as forgiving as possible. The flat ski like shape could provide a greater cushion if the boat suddenly dipped. I read somewhere providing a cushion to lower the impact of a splashdown was also one of the purposes for the bustle....

1 hour ago, mako23 said:

I’m not British I’m a kiwi who lived 15 years in England and raised my family their. All I said is that I supported Ineos, you said I was a Brit bashing kiwi. If you believe or not believe that I support Ineos is totally up to you. It’s not worth  fighting about 

I agree.

5 minutes ago, sailfly said:

Does anyone know why the keel of Ineos B2 is shaped like a box? I remember reading in an interview the hard edges was to help stall the flow between the two sides but why not just use a blade like in Luna Rossa or Te Rehutai? Maybe the designers underestimated their flight/height control systems and wanted to make the boat as forgiving as possible. The flat ski like shape could provide a greater cushion if the boat suddenly dipped. I read somewhere providing a cushion to lower the impact of a splashdown was also one of the purposes for the bustle....

There was a video from some Kiwi dude explaining that the boats with blades expected to pop up onto foils faster whereas the boats with bustles or whatever the hell INEOS has were designed expecting to transition to foiling more slowly such that the added width of the bustle (or whatever the hell INEOS has) provided more stability for that transition.  I have no idea if this is correct but it sure sounded good. 

27 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

I'm disappointed with Grant Simmer as CEO he should be taking the heat of Ben and putting it on himself to a point.

This is still very much Ben's show. Grant was bought in to make it look like Ben was delegating. Grant does the cleaning ladies roster.

32 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

This is still very much Ben's show. Grant was bought in to make it look like Ben was delegating. Grant does the cleaning ladies roster.

Would be interesting to hear how you've arrived at this conclusion? Do you have some sort of insider knowledge?

1 minute ago, OldWoodenShip said:

Would be interesting to hear how you've arrived at this conclusion?

I'm using the tried and proven method known as wild speculation. I believe it to be utterly reliable.

• Like 3

I don’t think Ineos will beat LR today, but I hope it’s close. I’d love to be wrong and Ineos wins but my  cherry blind optimism in life attitude doesn’t go that far 

4 hours ago, Forourselves said:

So it was a button problem? Or a system integration problem? They said it worked fine after that. 

suspect it was a system problem.  They pushed the button and the system says it was pushed but it did not work that time.  It look like it was one off, but you hear teams say that they are not reliable because things do not work from time to time.

33 minutes ago, mako23 said:

I don’t think Ineos will beat LR today, but I hope it’s close. I’d love to be wrong and Ineos wins but my  cherry blind optimism in life attitude doesn’t go that far 

Nah fuck Ben 

2 hours ago, sailfly said:

The flat ski like shape could provide a greater cushion if the boat suddenly dipped. I read somewhere providing a cushion to lower the impact of a splashdown was also one of the purposes for the bustle....

“Ski” is the operative word..... there is dynamic lift to be had, even a slow speeds, so it not only “cushions” drop downs but theoretically, should get you (back) up on foils earlier as well. Too much flat on the bottom will slam on the way down/in and “suck” on the way up/out, so the trick is to find the right amount.

The hard edges and vertical sides of the “box” helps channel air along rather than across (to leeward) the hull as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tbird333 said:

Does anyone have proof that INEOS has  created all 6 of their foils?

I assume all of the team members took a dump before racing today, so you could safely say they're over allocation from my maths.

Yes they have used their allocation and they were also saying on the TV that they have. B1 had foils with a big bulb, then B2 had the seagull wing and then the wing they have now. The situation is a grim as the battle of Rorkes ridge but this time the Zulu’s have machine guns 

• Like 2

Does anyone know who designed the foils for Ineos, was it Nick holroyd or the Mercedes F1 team

8 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Does anyone know who designed the foils for Ineos, was it Nick holroyd or the Mercedes F1 team

Noddy.

3 hours ago, jaysper said:

Nah fuck Ben 

Yep, Royally fucked.

18 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Clearly they took some design inspiration from the fastest gliders they could find...

619924main_sts-30_landing.jpg

Flies like a brick.

• Like 1

As an imagination exercise, what would you do if you were forced take control of Ineos, what changes would you make ?

2 minutes ago, mako23 said:

As an imagination exercise, what would you do if you were forced take control of Ineos, what changes would you make ?

Not Brexit talent out of the UK. There’s so much talent in the world and in F1 where the most successful teams are based in the UK, the offices are like a bloody UN with multitude of talent and ppl coming together to share their time and expertise for one common goal. 

8 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Option 1 soldier on into the valley of death.

Option 2 pray for cyclonic conditions that sink the opposition.

Option 3 cut and run.

Option 4 go to Briscoes

Option 5 S+S have a hull.

2 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Where to start? Rudder, Foils and Sail controls. No point bothering with the hull. 

In fact, might be a good idea to start again with a scale model of the Hawk. But for instant results, buy Te Aihe from ETNZ and recommission her. 

13 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Yep, Royally fucked.

He won't get another shot at the cup after this.

Who would trust him with another 120 Million pounds  when they look at what he's done with the last quarter billion?

Cammas would have been better this time around. Fucking shocking.

4 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Not Brexit talent out of the UK. There’s so much talent in the world and in F1 where the most successful teams are based in the UK, the offices are like a bloody UN with multitude of talent and ppl coming together to share their time and expertise for one common goal. 

Fuck F1. 

3 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Cammas would have been better this time around. Fucking shocking.

A French British campaign program would be so Concorde 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Miffy said:

A French British campaign program would be so Concorde 

Bound to finish the same way, in a blazing fireball.

9 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Cammas would have been better this time around.

I believe Francois Gabart is looking for a new gig. 

19 minutes ago, jaysper said:

He won't get another shot at the cup after this.

Who would trust him with another 120 Million pounds  when they look at what he's done with the last quarter billion?

I agree. He might get a gig as a helmsman, but doubt he'll ever control a program again.

5 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

I agree. He might get a gig as a helmsman, but doubt he'll ever control a program again.

I wonder if he will even get a gig as helmsman.

After a while, the stench of failure in any guise fails to wash off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jaysper said:

After a while, the stench of failure in any guise fails to wash off.

Well, Dean got a gig so you never know. Ben's reputation has taken a huge hit though.

4 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Well, Dean got a gig so you never know. Ben's reputation has taken a huge hit though.

I don't think you can compare Dean to Ben.

He was unsuccessful challenger 07, 13 as well as currently heading up a campaign that is looking likely to challenge for the cup.

Ben has flushed quarter billion pounds on two pretty fucking ordinary campaigns.

Ben is definitely the better sailor but failure is a very stinky colone.

• Like 1

And Dean has never lost fighting even when they’re losing (e.g. San Francisco and Bermuda) and is able to get hired abroad. I’m not sure Ben will be at his desired position level after this. 

11 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Poms on this board have gone really quiet. Can't blame them though.

Yeah, it would really suck to have your team look this shit so early on.

Feel sorry for them.

Ineos have been so bad that I'm actually starting to believe in the sandbagging theory.  I think Holroyd is a massively over-rated designer, but surely not even he could get it this wrong?  Multiple sources have suggested that Ineos have looked really good in practice and now they're just getting lapped with ease? Something doesn't quite add up.  If not ... then JFC, this may go down as one of the worst AC campaigns ever.

4 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Yeah, it would really suck to have your team look this shit so early on.

People described the BAR campaign as a total shit show. This one was showing all the same signs from more than a year ago, when there were significant departures from the team and they bought Simmer in. Ineos guys probably demanded it. Obviously it was too late.

42 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I don't think you can compare Dean to Ben.

He was unsuccessful challenger 07, 13 as well as currently heading up a campaign that is looking likely to challenge for the cup.

Ben has flushed quarter billion pounds on two pretty fucking ordinary campaigns.

Ben is definitely the better sailor but failure is a very stinky colone.

I don't understand why you would put him in charge, sailing a finn on your own is a very different set of skills.

Right from the start ben had very little confidence in the boat  " lets hope its fast" why doesn't he trust his CFD team?  

Sailing the boat he couldn't have done any better, he took burling to the cleaners on the pre start and gave himself a monsterous lead.. but if the boat is so much slower it doesn't matter how good a sailor you are.. he still can't win. 

You need someone who is a great project manager and very good at bringing together new technology, you also need to build your team over the  years. A lot of skill will transfer over. 

My big concern is there slow through manouvers and in light air, and top speed.. 

The foils are going to be a balance, make them smaller and there is less drag. but they will be even worse though manouvers  and harder to get foiling. 

This leaves you with sails and hull areo, i'm guessing with more time sailing they will improve the manouvers. They clearly need more time on the water. 

There too late to change hull shape.  lets hope they can improve the sail shape. 

Do they understand why ETNZ are so much faster? 

26 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

People described the BAR campaign as a total shit show. This one was showing all the same signs from more than a year ago, when there were significant departures from the team and they bought Simmer in. Ineos guys probably demanded it. Obviously it was too late.

Hardly a great advert for Belstaff and the Grenadier.

Question must be for the fracker whether he prefers the continuing humiliation for two more months of getting thrashed in the Prada Cup or just face the music now,  bail out, close up shop and send the circus and all the hangers on home, saving several millions. 

Then is he the sort of obsessive billionaire who get hooked on the Cup and wants to carry on getting beat or has he the sense to just walk away now and enjoy his other more successful sporting investments like Mercedes F1?

8 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Question must be for the fracker whether he prefers the continuing humiliation for two more months of getting thrashed in the Prada Cup or just face the music now,  bail out, close up shop and send the circus and all the hangers on home now, saving several millions. 

Then is he the sort of obsessive billionaire who get hooked on the Cup and wants to carry on getting beat or has he the sense to just walk away niw and enjoy his other more successful sporting investments like Mercedes F1?

Throw more money at it....

8 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

has he the sense to just walk away now and enjoy his other more successful sporting investments like Mercedes F1?

He won't walk away without seeing it through to the bitter end. To walk away would damage his reputation.

Jim Junk Up The Planet Ratcliffe makes more loot sleeping in a week than the Frackers annual budget consumes they have established a solid durable beach head whare base at the Viaduct a talented bunch of boatbuilders that can pump out a the most convoluted hull shapes that any Cup aficionado here on SA has ever seen I think dynasty is the issue.

Based on the present embarrassment the Poms do vengeance like few others do Ireland Palestine Africa Dardanelles Falklands yup it's a British birth right to slay and subjugate and never so more when their hackles have raised by this most recent affront on the sparkling Waitemata.

17 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

they have established a solid durable beach head whare base at the Viaduct

They've got that big base in Portsmouth as well. A not insignificant asset. Ineos AC challenges might go on, but maybe without Ben Ainslie, or BA in a reduced role.

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Fuck F1. 

I suspect in this instance, F1 may have been part of the problem rather than the solution...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Jim Junk Up The Planet Ratcliffe makes more loot sleeping in a week than the Frackers annual budget consumes they have established a solid durable beach head whare base at the Viaduct a talented bunch of boatbuilders that can pump out a the most convoluted hull shapes that any Cup aficionado here on SA has ever seen I think dynasty is the issue.

Based on the present embarrassment the Poms do vengeance like few others do Ireland Palestine Africa Dardanelles Falklands yup it's a British birth right to slay and subjugate and never so more when their hackles have raised by this most recent affront on the sparkling Waitemata.

I think hiring some ETNZ design staff next round would be helpful 

44 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Hardly a great advert for Belstaff and the Grenadier.

Question must be for the fracker whether he prefers the continuing humiliation for two more months of getting thrashed in the Prada Cup or just face the music now,  bail out, close up shop and send the circus and all the hangers on home, saving several millions. 

Then is he the sort of obsessive billionaire who get hooked on the Cup and wants to carry on getting beat or has he the sense to just walk away now and enjoy his other more successful sporting investments like Mercedes F1?

I'm reliably informed by an insider that Ineos have committed to two campaigns in Auckland, on the proviso that ETNZ defends (obviously!!)

• Like 1

After the presser I felt sorry for Ben for the first time.."can you change the Fucked up hull"? Gulp, probably fix some other stuff. Again, Ben's not a Good enough enough actress for the gulp.

5 minutes ago, mako23 said:

I think hiring some ETNZ design staff next round would be helpful 

Dalton will already have the good ones locked up contractually so they don't go anywhere if they win this one. 

4 minutes ago, Indio said:

I'm reliably informed by an insider that Ineos have committed to two campaigns in Auckland, on the proviso that ETNZ defends (obviously!!)

Can they draw down on the next Cup cycles foil and sail allocation now?

I actually don’t think it’s a slow boat.  I think they have someone simple.  Like main sail trim that is stalling them.  Maybe average foil.  On the other hand the kiwi conspiracy to dominate sports like sailing and rugby by infiltrating other teams has worked a treat.  And Australia keep employing kiwi coaches in rugby. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Qman said:

I actually don’t think it’s a slow boat.  I think they have someone simple.  Like main sail trim that is stalling them.  Maybe average foil.  On the other hand the kiwi conspiracy to dominate sports like sailing and rugby by infiltrating other teams has worked a treat.  And Australia keep employing kiwi coaches in rugby. 

:D

Ben has the eyes of a man that knows he’s lost. His hopes and dreams of the last 3 years disappeared in three short days. I do have some pity for him at that moment. After this cup he will have to go and find something to do with his life. I doubt anyone will hire him or sponsor him for another America’s cup.  He did spend a lot of other people’s money to find out he’s not good enough. 

2 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

Dalton will already have the good ones locked up contractually so they don't go anywhere if they win this one. 

Did he send Holroyd out to sabotage Ben? 

The fracker needs to move Percy and Sid in and end the double UK humiliation from Bermuda and now Auckland engineered by Ben.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Did he send Holroyd out to sabotage Ben? 

The fracker needs to move Percy and Sid in and end the double UK humiliation from Bermuda and now Auckland engineered by Ben.

Holroyd got moved on because they ran out of ideas to go faster in San Fran. They were too conservative.

In Bermuda they were the opposite. Brave and prepared to take some substantial but measured risks.

15 minutes ago, Indio said:

Hence the shed.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sosoomii said:

What’s Ian Percy up to at the moment?

Still seems to be CEO of Artemis Technologies assuming you mean Iain Percy.. it’s a shame he’s not involved in this cycle.

13 minutes ago, Qman said:

On the other hand the kiwi conspiracy to dominate sports like sailing and rugby by infiltrating other teams has worked a treat.

:lol:

17 minutes ago, Indio said:

1 minute ago, Priscilla said:

Hence the shed.

That is a measure of the cultural difference between Ineos and ETNZ. ETNZ made sure they were not coming back to Bermuda for AC36. Given Ineos has planned to come back for AC37 in my mind speaks volumes about Ineos as a team.

1 hour ago, Horn Rock said:

Not much to say really, all a bit depressing like 2020 in general for us. We still have a no-deal Brexit to look forward too. Whoop.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Main Man said:

Not much to say really, all a bit depressing like 2020 in general for us. We still have a no-deal Brexit to look forward too. Whoop.

Chin up old boy - only way is up. Actually I do feel for you guys.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, NZL3481 said:

That is a measure of the cultural difference between Ineos and ETNZ. ETNZ made sure they were not coming back to Bermuda for AC36. Given Ineos has planned to come back for AC37 in my mind speaks volumes about Ineos as a team.

Or they plan to use the shed as a display platform for the Grenadier:)

16 minutes ago, Qman said:

Are you sure its not Australia infiltrating

Can't wait for Magnus's next savage installment.

• Like 1

Just now, winchfodder said:

Hmmm, sure to be a hum-dinger......Doesn't have a tendency to hold back.

5 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Here you are

Embarrassing

Picking on the weak and vulnerable is not a place to be. I was told from the inside, just before the practice race started that the British boat had a tail, ears and a wet nose. If you listened closely you could hear it bark. It wasn’t, however, obedient and didn’t really like ‘walkies’ out on the Hauraki Gulf. It was highly prone to roll-over and when it sat, it rarely got back up again. I had to make a judgement call. Go with the story in my usual manner or park it in the knowledge that it just can’t be so. It really won’t be that bad. Too much money has gone into this. Too much time has been spent on the water. Too many good people were involved.

201215_sepm_americanmagic_3512-1024x1024 © Sailing Energy / American Magic

But I looked at footage. I spoke to some more people. I dug, like a dog, a little deeper for a bone. Sure, I had heard from the very outset that the team were lions led by donkeys, and I include all the sailors in the lions category, but did effective management really make that much of a difference? And surely the brilliant and cohesive force of Ben would negate any back-room concerns. On this I was wrong. The sailors were/are being sent on a kamikazi mission by a non-existent management more keen to throw good people under the bus and protect their long-term positions than to solve the issues. Finger pointing and aggression are not the hallmarks of good, professional management. It’s pathetic.

I ran the story and as usual, there was shock. I was savaging the team. I was offering brutal analysis. Media outlets from all over the world called for comment. The team were hitting back and saying I was full of inaccuracies. Everything was on track. Developments were coming onstream. Rabbits were moments from being pulled out of hats. Pigs might fly. I was wrong and a turncoat for suggesting anything other than pure success for the Brits. Oh how I wish that were the case.

Let’s be frank, today’s racing was a sheer, utter, unadulterated embarrassment for Team Ineos. It was the saddest sight I have ever seen in sport. In the Cup, it’s almost unprecedented. When the Kiwis lost their rig in the 2003 Match, I remember sitting in the Media Centre surrounded by Kiwi journalists and a huge sense of collective national sadness and shock befell the place. I’d never seen that before. Just how much it meant. Last night, watching live on YouTube from 2am to 5.30am, I felt that sadness. I experienced that shock. I sat in utter disbelief as the Brits capitulated. I could not believe my eyes.

This isn’t a nice feeling and actually detracts from the outstandingly brilliant sport being played out in the other races. I watched them but had a lump in my throat. This is like watching a crash in Formula 1 when the racing is stopped and the helicopter is called trackside. You feel for those nearest and dearest. You feel for the families involved. The children cheering on their hero Daddies. The parents back at home sheltering from a Covid nightmare hoping for brief sporting respite in the sun of Auckland. The supporters up all night who have had a resolute blinker on reports like mine of recent days. The mates who know nothing about sailing but have pride in what you are doing. It’s horrible for all involved.

Ben was a beaten man at the press conference. The other skippers were uncomfortable in his presence. He admitted that they have ‘serious problems’ and when pushed by the peerless Ed Gorman from the Times in London – incidentally the only British print media journalist worth his salt, qualified and good enough to ask proper questions – it was evident that the game was effectively over. Ben echoed what I’ve been saying about the rash, blind belief in upgrades and modifications at this late stage of the cycle. The best that they can hope for is to get the boat on the water and keep the deltas somewhere respectable. Perhaps even sneak a win or two – you never know? Being beaten by TWO legs today in the Prada match-up and then slaughtered by American Magic is plain and simple embarrassing.

So what do they do now. King Kenny had it about right on the commentary. Close the base doors. Turn off the media. Don’t read anything written – especially by me. Don’t talk to anyone. Get your heads down and work like fury. As Ben said, it’s an absolute privilege to even be at the Cup and now is the time for collective effort.

Personally, I think it’s time for change and I said as much in a recent post. If I were the Ineos sporting director with the boss coming to town and my job massively on the line, I would be sitting down with the sailors and listening to what needs to change. I would be making swift, decisive, culling actions. Remember how brutal Larry Ellison and Russell Coutts were at 8-1 down? We are in that phase. No sacred cows. Get rid of the rotten core at the heart of this campaign and let me be absolutely clear, that rotten core is not out sailing. It’s all in the backroom and it has to change.

The story of this Cup will be how they respond. The next few days are critical. Heads must roll and a new impetus found. End of story.

• Like 1

The one from yesterday

Tough Call

Waiting in the queue outside a nightclub is, from memory, a miserable experience. I am far too old for nightclubs now. But that horrible anticipation standing on a rainy street with a shaven-headed thug stopping your progression is amplified by the thought that your mates are dancing inside and you’re just not at the party. Team Ineos must be looking over at the racing going on between Prada and Magic with the eyes of a teenager in the queue.

ac201215cb_21140-1024x1024-1.jpg?w=1024 15/12/20 – Auckland (NZL) 36th America’s Cup presented by Prada Practice Races – Day 3 New York Yacht Club American Magic

The action is all over there and the racecraft that is being polished is vital to the outcome of the Challenger series starting in a few short weeks’ time. Trailing around a racecourse or getting blown away on boatspeed is a really tough, grinding, soul destroying experience. We have all been there. Do you learn much? No, you get deflated if you’re honest with yourself but for Ineos we are in the: “at-least-they-got-round-today” school of thought and that’s a poor return for the expectation that the team, not the media, have been building up for the past three years.

Public Relations around this effort has been nigh on catastrophic despite the sailors best efforts to dial down a public expectation fuelled by typical British optimism and dis-connected corporate nonsense.

But the Magic/Prada match up is the story that will run and run in the next month or so. They are probably too close to call. Terry Hutchinson’s team were the first to splash and get on with sailing this new yachting concept and their early start to the campaign is paying rich dividends. Jimmy Spithill fused with the affable Francesco Bruni meanwhile is my guess for why Prada is doing so well. Both boats have weaknesses in design and performance that will be tweaked and addressed in the coming days and weeks but don’t be fooled by the modifications story. No-one is going to leap ahead, development classes don’t often throw up huge, game-changing breakthroughs. They are all throwing money in the same direction and will all develop at a commensurate pace. I fully expect Magic and Prada to still be nip and tuck come January 15th.

Who will win? It’s a very close call as evidenced on the water today but I am so impressed with how Terry Hutchinson is approaching this regatta and how he’s kept the expectation levels in check both at home in the States and down in Auckland that I am leaning towards ‘Bruce the Shark’ to come out on top when it’s all said and done. Punchy call but I suspect that Prada will fall off at the death.

thumbnail-7-1.jpg?w=750

New York Yacht Club vs The Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron for the America’s Cup in March. It’s got a ring to it. You heard it here first.

Don’t put your house on it but that’s my call on the evidence so far.

Black Magic

Kiwis seem to have a habit of building either truly great teams or ones, that for dynastic reasons, don’t quite hit the mark. At every Rugby World Cup they are ‘the’ story. How good is this team? Will they win? And invariably the answer hinges around whether the team is newly formed with a smattering of rookies or an absolute unit with players approaching their peak. If the latter, you may as well etch their name on the William Webb Ellis Trophy. If the former it’s a struggle.

m2079_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_1

And it’s no different in the America’s Cup. Sir Peter Blake put the Black Magic team together with a generation of sailors approaching their peak fused with unbelievable talent and experience from the bow to the stern. Ernesto Bertarelli plundered Blakey’s best right at their peak with vast, ugly euro riches and aced a Kiwi ‘B’ Team at the start of their personal Cup careers. Since Grant Dalton took over, very much in the style of Blake who was as competitive and no-nonsense as hell, it has been a rollercoaster ride to perfection. Getting over the Coutts/Butterworth era was hard but pivoting to the utter brilliance of the Burling/Tuke/Ashby axis has been a masterstroke. Today they enter the Cup with the full package. Sailors at the top of their game. Designers going beyond the limit on detail. A shore team that is honoured to work for the flag. And a leader that takes no prisoners.

mail.jpg?w=1024 Emirates Team New Zealand racing INEOS TEAM UK during Race 5 / Day 2 of the ACWS Auckland. Te Rehutai and Britannia in front of North Head and Devonport.

They are at the top of the game. Team New Zealand is looking unbeatable. The Magic losses in recent days are like training ground run-outs. Everyone knows they mean next to zero other than a byline in a paper, a footnote when the history of this Cup cycle is written. This is the Kiwi dynasty fully imagined. This America’s Cup team is akin to the ‘Untouchables’ All Blacks Team of 2013 and is close to the ‘Incomparables’ of 1996. It’s the Black Magic of ’95, the Alinghi of ’03, the Stars & Stripes of ’87, the Australia II of ’83. They are writing history and it’s bloody impressive to watch.

Controlled aggression masked as competition was much in evidence yesterday. Off the back of an embarrassing Press Conference performance from Ben Ainslie, the team came out slugging. Ben took them on. The Kiwis are up for the fight. Boys v Men. On the rostrum Pete Burling was concessionary and sympathetic to his mate Ben’s plight but by the time he got back to the base, the mood had changed, the message was very different. An official press release was issued by the team regarding the foil cant system and if you translate it from Kiwi to English it basically says: “Take a hike, you aren’t ruining our parade.” Classic Dalton. Get on the front foot. Get ahead of the story. Squash it. Don’t allow the bloggers or the media the oxygen to blow up the balloon. Brilliant. Masterful.

m2901_crop169014_2000x2000_proportional_ 15/12/20 – Auckland (NZL) 36th America’s Cup presented by Prada Opening ceremony

And then came the racing. Two races against Ineos Team UK. Sir Edmund Hilary climbed Everest, Ben Ainslie is facing Everest with K2 on top. The Kiwis smoked them and exposed Ratty’s Rita as a different generation boat. Giving Ben a 400 metre lead in the second race after a splashdown pre-start would, in usual circumstances, be game over. I’ve seen Ben win Olympic races by over a leg in the Finn. But in this game, the Kiwis just kept calm, fired up the afterburners and ground Ineos into a pulp. Sure, they are not the finished article just yet but they are building an impossible momentum that is just so impressive to watch.

The talk in the air is about their mainsail camber control systems. I would suggest that’s a red herring, it’s the whole package that’s doing this from the lowliest team member doing work experience to the chef at the base through to the sailing team and upwards to Darth Dalton.

Impressive. Mighty impressive. Black Magic.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Qman said:

On the other hand the kiwi conspiracy to dominate sports like sailing and rugby by infiltrating other teams has worked a treat.  And Australia keep employing kiwi coaches in rugby. 

Damn. The game is up. ;-)

Whom are the back room rotten core Rule69 talks about?

3 minutes ago, DayTripper said:

Magnus has always slammed non-sailing backroom cronies of Ratty's who've moved in and taken control.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Indio said:

Magnus has always slammed non-sailing backroom cronies of Ratty's who've moved in and taken control.

Just as well, Grant Dalton told our Government's lackeys to fuck off when the Herald tried to stitch ETNZ up, otherwise we'd have inherited a rotten core too. Well done, GD.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, DayTripper said:

Dunno, might be Raties Goon Squad Indio is referring to?

• Like 1

Iain Percy would have been my pick to run the Ineos AC Challenge, with Sir Ben concentrating on co-ordinating the design and sailing team.

1 hour ago, mako23 said:

Ben has the eyes of a man that knows he’s lost. His hopes and dreams of the last 3 years disappeared in three short days. I do have some pity for him at that moment. After this cup he will have to go and find something to do with his life. I doubt anyone will hire him or sponsor him for another America’s cup.  He did spend a lot of other people’s money to find out he’s not good enough. 

Ben is plenty good enough, I would love to see him in a boat that gives him a fighting chance. Lets just hope they can get the wheel rolling and making changes in the right direction faster than the teams around them. 

did you watch him in the pre-start box. As a designer its hard to say this but the design team has failed him. Without working there you don't know if its poor leadership, or just sub-standard engineers.  It could be just one broken link in the chain.. poor CFD for example. 

The boat was delivered on time and hasn't broken up so its not manufacturing. Even with the corvid nightmare. 

In a similar way to how VPLP failed Alex on hugo boss. 

35 minutes ago, Indio said:

Iain Percy would have been my pick to run the Ineos AC Challenge, with Sir Ben concentrating on co-ordinating the design and sailing team.

Sailing team and ergonomics.. leave aerodynamics and hydrodynamics to someone else. 

35 minutes ago, Indio said:

Sir Ben is the common denominator between the Bermuda near disaster and the current clusterfuck. I wouldn't be letting him anywhere near design.

1 hour ago, Indio said:

Not mine! I had the luck to witness his team before the last cup during a training session with the AC45 in Sweden (Saltsjöbaden) and I made my prediction to my sailing friends and it all came true. The team was separated. I had been in the same breakfast room. Could hear the rubbish. I felt for Nathan, who came in late to the session. Knowing him a bit from Moth sailing. Did not see a happy chap. Great management is different from being a great sailor, though it helps to know about the business and how to work with people.

Oh, on another note: Seeing the „Rita“ crew at work, I could not see a horizontal management structure on the boat. It looked like the grinders were slaves and the master (s) at the end of the row calling for more... whatever. 

Of course wishful thinking over Christmas is that they get their act together and do not deliver as happened. It hurts so much seeing them dropping from the foils and „low riding“. Been there a lot, had to make such decision quite often to short cut the loss and to go straight down at the mark instead of loosing more places by going back up „into the wind“ to start foiling again and than, mess up with the next jibe. For me that had shown, that they are not fully in the game. They are not sailing their „A“ game. Any average Moth sailor or DN racer could feel the pain, even in front of the YT feed. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

Sir Ben is the common denominator between the Bermuda near disaster and the current clusterfuck. I wouldn't be letting him anywhere near design.

No, the common denominator is a sadly lacking boat. It wouldn’t matter who ran the team, the boat just doesn’t have the speed in the tacks or the takeoff capabilities and a bunch of other stuff.  lets not blame Ben for that.