Stingray~

INEOS Team GB

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, mad said:

Quick splash and maybe back in the shed?

Do they have enough time for that?

If by quick splash, you mean enough time to collect meaningful data then yeah.

The Prada Cup means nothing until semis time, so they'd be foolish to prioritize winning those races over development IMO.

I would imagine they have at least 1 more evolution that they want to roll out and test before the shit hitteth the fan.

I imagine they all do. They HAVE to of they will get mowed down.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, jaysper said:

If by quick splash, you mean enough time to collect meaningful data then yeah.

The Prada Cup means nothing until semis time, so they'd be foolish to prioritize winning those races over development IMO.

I would imagine they have at least 1 more evolution that they want to roll out and test before the shit hitteth the fan.

I imagine they all do. They HAVE to of they will get mowed down.

Don’t they have to declare before the Prada Cup and use that same configuration over the entire event?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Don’t they have to declare before the Prada Cup and use that same configuration over the entire event?

Yes, but presumably they can declare the next evolution before it's even been tested? If it doesn't work out then who cares?

And my understanding (could be wrong) is that they can change configuration between rounds with the required 5 days notice.

So this could allow them to treat the earlier races as practice sessions, which is what they are anyway.

I know I've said this before, but this 5 day rule is just garbage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mad said:

Waste of vegemite

The real and original is marmite. Vegemite is an off spin of marmite a bit like your fair and wonderful country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Frackers out of panel beaters and back in the water.

Absolutely stunning day on the sparkling Waitemata home of the Cup.

Southwest 20 knots, easing to 10 knots this morning, rising to 20 knots for a time this afternoon and early evening. Sea moderate at times. Fine, with cloud developing in the evening.

Really surprised they are out this early, I kinda thought they would of made some big changes. Unless they have some miracle boat builders modifications can’t be that extreme. I’d love to see a photo, to see what has changed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Really surprised they are out this early, I kinda thought they would of made some big changes. Unless they have some miracle boat builders modifications can’t be that extreme. I’d love to see a photo, to see what has changed 

I'd be surprised that the results of the ACWS were actually a huge surprise to them.

They have good spies and detecting that your competition can foil in 5 knots less breeze than you can is probably not hard to detect.

I doubt the rumours of their boat speed problems which were boiling weeks ago were based on nothing.

So I suspect these changes were ready for roll out. 

Let's hope it closes at least some 9f the gap cos Magnus was right, they are currently a very lame duck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2020 at 7:12 PM, rh3000 said:

Perhaps next time you'll think twice before sticking your nose in to a scrap between little NZ and big brother Britain, it will save you a bloody nose and some confusion :D

Perhaps you should consider why Kiwis find it necessary to brag about totally unrelated topics, then bully and bludgeon people into to silence when their world domination of a particular niche is questioned. Jingoism is alive and well everywhere, I just thought the NZ variant would be confined to NZ threads. Clearly that was expecting too much.

My original comment had nothing whatsoever to do with New Zealand, it was a bit of a jibe at a pom who misspoke regarding earth rotation. But an NZ true patriot decided to brag about how Kiwis are so wonderful because they launch rockets from -39°. Clearly not a particularly impressive undertaking (Australian launches were mostly from -31°), lots of countries do it from much higher latitudes, it's just less efficient and to be avoided where practical.

If you can't acknowledge that fact because, having piled on to defend a compatriot, your machismo simply won't let you, then you have problem.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jaysper said:

I'd be surprised that the results of the ACWS were actually a huge surprise to them.

They have good spies and detecting that your competition can foil in 5 knots less breeze than you can is probably not hard to detect.

I doubt the rumours of their boat speed problems which were boiling weeks ago were based on nothing.

So I suspect these changes were ready for roll out. 

Let's hope it closes at least some 9f the gap cos Magnus was right, they are currently a very lame duck.

Grant Simmer admitted they thought the boat would have issues in the light in the ACWS recap video they brought out. They always knew the boat would have trouble getting on foils in the light. Ultimately they’re planning ahead to Feb/ March when they think the breeze should be around the mid range and they were starting mods after the last race of the ACWS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Grant Simmer admitted they thought the boat would have issues in the light in the ACWS recap video they brought out. They always knew the boat would have trouble getting on foils in the light. Ultimately they’re planning ahead to Feb/ March when they think the breeze should be around the mid range and they were starting mods after the last race of the ACWS. 

I don't think moding your boat in such a way that it is guaranteed to lose in 10 knots or less is a great strategy and I doubt that was their intent.

They may have moded.for heavier breezes, but I'm sure they weren't shooting for THAT sort of performance in light airs.

Fingers crossed the new mods will do the biz. Despite the raucous criticism Holyroyd seems to take on 5h3se forums, he's no idiot and would probably have won the AC if Dalton et al didn't agree to that fucking lay day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I don't think moding your boat in such a way that it is guaranteed to lose in 10 knots or less is a great strategy and I doubt that was their intent.

They may have moded.for heavier breezes, but I'm sure they weren't shooting for THAT sort of performance in light airs.

Fingers crossed the new mods will do the biz. Despite the raucous criticism Holyroyd seems to take on 5h3se forums, he's no idiot and would probably have won the AC if Dalton et al didn't agree to that fucking lay day.

Regardless of whether he agreed to the lay day or not, racing wasn’t going ahead because Oracle had already said they didn’t want to race. It was all explained in the review interview. ETNZ had some maintenance to do so since Oracle weren’t going to race they also agreed to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Regardless of whether he agreed to the lay day or not, racing wasn’t going ahead because Oracle had already said they didn’t want to race. It was all explained in the review interview. ETNZ had some maintenance to do so since Oracle weren’t going to race they also agreed to it. 

Maybe I remembered it wrong. However the shit some people seem to throw at Holroyd is wholly unwarranted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mako23 said:

Really surprised they are out this early, I kinda thought they would of made some big changes. Unless they have some miracle boat builders modifications can’t be that extreme. I’d love to see a photo, to see what has changed 

I don't think the issue is the hull. It is the rig and maybe foils and rudder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dullers said:

I don't think the issue is the hull. It is the rig and maybe foils and rudder.

Agreed. I'm sure hull shape makes SOME difference but it'd have to be peanuts compared to the foil design surely?

Besides, looking at the hull it hardly looks like they are trying to push a lump of 4 x 2 through the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Don’t they have to declare before the Prada Cup and use that same configuration over the entire event?

You may want to take the time to read the NOR for the CSS, rather than guessing:

7. YACHT CONFIGURATION
7.1 Competitors are required to declare confidentially to the Measurement Committee the yacht configuration to be sailed as follows:
Declaration 1 Prada Cup Round Robin Stage
Due by 15:00 on Wednesday 13 January for racing period from 15th to 19th .
Declaration 2 Prada Cup Round Robin Stage
Due by 15:00 on Wednesday 20 January for racing period from 22nd to 26th .
Declaration 3 Prada Cup Semi-Final Stage
Due by 15:00 on Wednesday 27 January for racing in the Semi Final Stage.
Declaration 4 Prada Cup Final Stage
Due by 16:00 on Monday 8 February for racing in the Final Stage.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jaysper said:

I don't think moding your boat in such a way that it is guaranteed to lose in 10 knots or less is a great strategy and I doubt that was their intent.

They may have moded.for heavier breezes, but I'm sure they weren't shooting for THAT sort of performance in light airs.

Fingers crossed the new mods will do the biz. Despite the raucous criticism Holyroyd seems to take on 5h3se forums, he's no idiot and would probably have won the AC if Dalton et al didn't agree to that fucking lay day.

So what are the winds going to be at that time of the year? I missed the previous NZ cups. ENTZ seems to have the best weathermen regardless of the location so what are they going for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

So what are the winds going to be at that time of the year? I missed the previous NZ cups. ENTZ seems to have the best weathermen regardless of the location so what are they going for?

Yes, Clouds et al are undoubtedly excellent in their craft.

But they do make mistakes which is how ETNZs low speed foils came to be damaged in Bermuda when they raced with them in winds higher than their design tolerances.

So whether it be INEOS (who I was talking about) or ETNZ, moding your boat so it howls at the moon below (or above) the expected wind range is insanity when you must declare your boat 5 days prior to the match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Agreed. I'm sure hull shape makes SOME difference but it'd have to be peanuts compared to the foil design surely?

Besides, looking at the hull it hardly looks like they are trying to push a lump of 4 x 2 through the water.

It was faster than the Kiwi boat in displacement. So to my non engineering mind the issue is else where.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, dullers said:

I don't think the issue is the hull. It is the rig and maybe foils and rudder.

To win the America’s cup they will have to deal with all the issues Ineos has. Being slow getting on their foils is a really critical issue. Hull shape may be playing a part in this.  It could be too much skeg as some arm chair critics have espoused. I’m no CFD expert so I’ll just watch and see what happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dullers said:

It was faster than the Kiwi boat in displacement. So to my non engineering mind the issue is else where.

It's about the transition. Not simply sailing in displacement mode

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Varan said:

i.jpg.0d6234e5785aecb374043199ab4262ef.jpg

Oh oh, Ben farted again...

INEOS and Prada out today.

8 days in the shed and I can’t see any change. However it’s only one photo and the changes are maybe more skin deep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mako23 said:

8 days in the shed and I can’t see any change. However it’s only one photo and the changes are maybe more skin deep.

i.jpg.0d6234e5785aecb374043199ab4262ef.jpg.b66c0443a9e04aac52207a61b370fdc2.jpg

Realistically how deep can the changes run that piglet hull would be a mission to change rig is what it is boom is a possibility but pretty complex and late to start down the Kiwi or Handbags route foils are at the end of quota so leaves flaps and sails.

Maybe that pic tells a tale of the error in balance that sees the Frackers needing to bury both foils for longer in turns and struggling to fly in the light.

The challenge of remedying a boat to suit lighter conditions will become oh so evident in a week of variating wind conditions for the Prada Cup on the sparkling Waitemata.

The AC is littered with plenty of examples of boats that simply were not capable of being modded for a broad range of conditions let alone this close to kickoff.

Yup I wish them all the best...

Sus_scrofa_avionica.thumb.png.8371219fd91b129fdf4f00a182a253cb.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RobG said:

Perhaps you should consider why Kiwis find it necessary to brag about totally unrelated topics, then bully and bludgeon people into to silence when their world domination of a particular niche is questioned. Jingoism is alive and well everywhere, I just thought the NZ variant would be confined to NZ threads. Clearly that was expecting too much.

My original comment had nothing whatsoever to do with New Zealand, it was a bit of a jibe at a pom who misspoke regarding earth rotation. But an NZ true patriot decided to brag about how Kiwis are so wonderful because they launch rockets from -39°. Clearly not a particularly impressive undertaking (Australian launches were mostly from -31°), lots of countries do it from much higher latitudes, it's just less efficient and to be avoided where practical.

If you can't acknowledge that fact because, having piled on to defend a compatriot, your machismo simply won't let you, then you have problem.

Rob, you're a wanker. You produce nothing but shit for us to breeze over. Don't be so precious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

Rob, you're a wanker. You produce nothing but shit for us to breeze over. Don't be so precious.

He's not wrong you racist piece of shit.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No I don't have any photos sorry @mako23 But while everyone bickers about racism rockets and rona, here's the SAAC entry still languishing on the mud with no ideas forthcoming about how to improve the cant system or what gear the designer was smoking, let alone debating if backstays will add too much drag vs allowing the skipper something to hang on to while taking a wizz. I'm prepared to front up for practice racing for IM even if the teams arent. Just need the telemetry mast on the back. 

18F18B26-AE02-4612-8C38-3414B3A4B69E.jpeg.4b342f649616897829493f46e337cb7c.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

No I don't have any photos sorry @mako23 But while everyone bickers about racism rockets and rona, here's the SAAC entry still languishing on the mud with no ideas forthcoming about how to improve the cant system or what gear the designer was smoking, let alone debating if backstays will add too much drag vs allowing the skipper something to hang on to while taking a wizz. I'm prepared to front up for practice racing for IM even if the teams arent. Just need the telemetry mast on the back. 

18F18B26-AE02-4612-8C38-3414B3A4B69E.jpeg.4b342f649616897829493f46e337cb7c.jpeg.jpg

It’s a damn site better than arguing  about who is a bigger racist. Also what is this guy really trying to achieve in this photo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, chesirecat said:

 

 

They seem to be running different foils on each arm.  The starboard arm seems to be a  gull wing while the port arm is the wing used in the Christmas cup. 

8 days to change the wing on the starboard arm. ?? Must be more than that ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mako23 said:

They seem to be running different foils on each arm.  The starboard arm seems to have a  gull wing while the port arm are the wing used in the Christmas cup. 

8 days to change the wing on the starboard arm. ?? Must be more than that ?

The gull-wing or eagle wing is the one the Italians considered the better for light winds. They spent October running on this then November in the current configuration. Mast bend and mid leach look different. Tacking angle good near the end - quite nice actually from the little one can see. They will be past the silver bullet stage- like all teams, so it'll be macro stuff now - from our POV anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pusslicker said:

He's not wrong you racist piece of shit.

I'd like to meet you in person. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, chesirecat said:

The gull-wing or eagle wing is the one the Italians considered the better for light winds. They spent October running on this then November in the current configuration. Mast bend and mid leach look different. Tacking angle good near the end - quite nice actually from the little one can see. They will be past the silver bullet stage- like all teams, so it'll be macro stuff now - from our POV anyway.

Yep they look like tnz with runners cranked right up after tacking maybe, with some mast bend apparent now. Big loads. Who will crack first? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:
3 hours ago, pusslicker said:

He's not wrong you racist piece of shit.

I'd like to meet you in person. 

But nobody really wants to meet you though.:P

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What’s new the handkerchief and the ride height control not so much like a nanny’s pram but it’s upper range wind wise so what’s the royal barge done to scuttle along in the light to see off carrying Achilles around the track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hoom said:

New Prada cup logo on the Main

Crikey inverted Pradadaleks now that’s really quite spooky. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

Yep they look like tnz with runners cranked right up after tacking maybe, with some mast bend apparent now. Big loads. Who will crack first? 

Bucket loads of load sensors going off round the top mark from the teams! 

Word in the "dinghy park" was how ETNZ was getting their mast to bend. Huge positives accelerating thru gusts and not over pitching bow. Smaller jib helps bow down pitch as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mako23 said:

It’s a damn site better than arguing  about who is a bigger racist. Also what is this guy really trying to achieve in this photo 

Calculating the best position for the NASA-designed stubby holders?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, uflux said:

It's about the transition. Not simply sailing in displacement mode

I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, chesirecat said:

Bucket loads of load sensors going off round the top mark from the teams! 

Word in the "dinghy park" was how ETNZ was getting their mast to bend. Huge positives accelerating thru gusts and not over pitching bow. Smaller jib helps bow down pitch as well.

Team Middle East has been carrying the larger jibs in just about all the races.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dullers said:

Team Middle East has been carrying the larger jibs in just about all the races.

TNZ weren’t racing they were gauging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Priscilla said:

TNZ weren’t racing they were gauging.

Who knows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hah, from the video above you can see a small part of their problem. Watch their manoeuvres and you see that the boat is mostly heeled to leeward (a bit), compared to ETNZ who quickly after the tacks or jibes are heeling their boat to windward as this is the style of 49er and Moth sailors. And I assume must be efficient with the AC75s. I found this so difficult to look up to my feet, heeling the Moth to windward, as I used to sail different boats. Boats which liked leeward heel to reduce the wetted surface. And it is difficult even for someone with all the gold around his neck due to simple muscle memory. I had written my opinion about sailing style and fine tuning of rudder horizontal compared to main foil horizontal somewhere upstairs and i do hope that, as said before, they had a beer with Goodi at a bar hided away from the SA informants and other spies. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, minimumfuss said:

No I don't have any photos sorry @mako23 But while everyone bickers about racism rockets and rona, here's the SAAC entry still languishing on the mud with no ideas forthcoming about how to improve the cant system or what gear the designer was smoking, let alone debating if backstays will add too much drag vs allowing the skipper something to hang on to while taking a wizz. I'm prepared to front up for practice racing for IM even if the teams arent. Just need the telemetry mast on the back. 

18F18B26-AE02-4612-8C38-3414B3A4B69E.jpeg.4b342f649616897829493f46e337cb7c.jpeg.jpg

It's never gonna measure, unless it gets yellow racing stripes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dullers said:

Who knows?

How many $250 mil sporting campaigns have you run.

I think Clarkey hit the nail on the head Deano was racing hardcore at his limits the footage tells the rest of the tale the results were immaterial.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RobG said:

Perhaps you should consider why Kiwis find it necessary to brag about totally unrelated topics, then bully and bludgeon people into to silence when their world domination of a particular niche is questioned. Jingoism is alive and well everywhere, I just thought the NZ variant would be confined to NZ threads. Clearly that was expecting too much.

My original comment had nothing whatsoever to do with New Zealand, it was a bit of a jibe at a pom who misspoke regarding earth rotation. But an NZ true patriot decided to brag about how Kiwis are so wonderful because they launch rockets from -39°. Clearly not a particularly impressive undertaking (Australian launches were mostly from -31°), lots of countries do it from much higher latitudes, it's just less efficient and to be avoided where practical.

If you can't acknowledge that fact because, having piled on to defend a compatriot, your machismo simply won't let you, then you have problem.

Perhaps you need to re-read the thread...

dummers scoffed at NZ, suggesting the UK had a much better track record on submersible war machines... someone (a kiwi?) noted that at least NZ has a space programme.. you decided to stick your beak in and incorrectly ascribed it as a US programme... and doubled down when corrected...and are still ignorant and arrogant enough to continue the argument now...still failing to see the original error of your ways... and continuing to demostrate the ignorance of the orginal discussion..

no one was bragging other than dummers (about the UK)...  so in short fuck off out of the pub yah seppo wanker before you get bottled...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Salty Seacock said:

I'd like to meet you in person. 

Would any of you like to meet me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mako23 said:

8 days in the shed and I can’t see any change. However it’s only one photo and the changes are maybe more skin deep.

The boat is typically more bow down when it gets towed. My guess is the foil arm geometry has been fiddled with. No small task I'd guess...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mako23 said:

They seem to be running different foils on each arm.  The starboard arm seems to be a  gull wing while the port arm is the wing used in the Christmas cup. 

8 days to change the wing on the starboard arm. ?? Must be more than that ?

I think they've changed the geometry of the foil arms at the pivot/hinge point the boat is sailing and being towed just a bit more bow up than before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Perhaps you need to re-read the thread...

dummers scoffed at NZ, suggesting the UK had a much better track record on submersible war machines... someone (a kiwi?) noted that at least NZ has a space programme.. you decided to stick your beak in and incorrectly ascribed it as a US programme... and doubled down when corrected...and are still ignorant and arrogant enough to continue the argument now...still failing to see the original error of your ways... and continuing to demostrate the ignorance of the orginal discussion..

no one was bragging other than dummers (about the UK)...  so in short fuck off out of the pub yah seppo wanker before you get bottled...

Actually it was a post I responded to about the UK maybe trying to poach NZ engineers, Scientists etc. I responded to the original brag which might not suit your Kiwi narrative. So why don't you re read the thread.  I was implying we had a very capable engineering and science division.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

How many $250 mil sporting campaigns have you run.

I think Clarkey hit the nail on the head Deano was racing hardcore at his limits the footage tells the rest of the tale the results were immaterial.

Same amount as you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, dullers said:

Would any of you like to meet me?

English pub: Get laughed out in my shorts and jandals

Kiwi Pub: You'd get laughed out in that blazer

Pub anywhere that's open the world would be good. Your shout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

English pub: Get laughed out in my shorts and jandals

In summer you'd be the same as anyone body else (unless you insisted on calling them Jandals) in winter you'd not be laughed at so much as stared at :lol::lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Don’t they have to declare before the Prada Cup and use that same configuration over the entire event?

The Round Robin declaration must be made on January 13, with racing starting on January 15. A second declaration can be made mid way through the Round Robins on January 13 ie after the conclusion of RR2 and before the start of RR3. The semi-final declaration must be made on January 27 with racing starting on January 29. For the finals a declaration must be made on February 8, with racing starting on February 13, and no opportunity for a mid-series rethink in the best of 13 race series.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NZL3481 said:

The boat is typically more bow down when it gets towed. My guess is the foil arm geometry has been fiddled with. No small task I'd guess...

 

3 hours ago, NZL3481 said:

I think they've changed the geometry of the foil arms at the pivot/hinge point the boat is sailing and being towed just a bit more bow up than before.

So it's both more bow up and more bow down? See, UK science wins, they are using a Schrödinger configuration so you can't tell which it is until after we've won.

(No cats were harmed in the making of this post)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dullers said:

Would any of you like to meet me?

Yeah fuck it Dullers. Assuming you're not actually trolling us from NZ, then next time you are in NZ I will introduce you to real coffee and beer that hasn't been warmed in a furnace prior to drinking ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Yeah fuck it Dullers. Assuming you're not actually trolling us from NZ, then next time you are in NZ I will introduce you to real coffee and beer that hasn't been warmed in a furnace prior to drinking ;-)

Done! Outside chance I will be over in New Zealand in May of 2021. I am not in NZ at the moment. Have relatives in Palmy. I love Wellington and prefer it to Auckland.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dullers said:

Done! Outside chance I will be over in New Zealand in May of 2021. I am not in NZ at the moment. Have relatives in Palmy. I love Wellington and prefer it to Auckland.   

sold! Pm me closer to the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chesirecat said:

 

 

At 30sec into vid the raising of the foil looks to be in two steps. There is a definite pause in the arm raising at the point where the foil pierces the surface and then it continues to raise fully... holding onto the lift for as long as possible before raising it form max righting moment? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^ they've put the gull wing back on the stb side. Looked to be a bunch of fences on the port wing as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ed__miller said:

At 30sec into vid the raising of the foil looks to be in two steps. There is a definite pause in the arm raising at the point where the foil pierces the surface and then it continues to raise fully... holding onto the lift for as long as possible before raising it form max righting moment? 

I think I have seen the others with that jerky movement. May be my imagination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, enigmatically2 said:

 

So it's both more bow up and more bow down? See, UK science wins, they are using a Schrödinger configuration so you can't tell which it is until after we've won.

(No cats were harmed in the making of this post)

Schrödinger might have slept here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dullers said:

I think I have seen the others with that jerky movement. May be my imagination.

I've seen similar, although usually it seems to pause slightly just before going on to the "fully raised" position. No idea why though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

 

Sorry, couldn't help it.....  

Gotta love the Russians, they don't bother with silly stuff like auto-self-destruct... just let it do it's own thing! :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horn Rock said:

^^^ they've put the gull wing back on the stb side. Looked to be a bunch of fences on the port wing as well.

Noticed a fence on the Stb arm

32 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

I've seen similar, although usually it seems to pause slightly just before going on to the "fully raised" position. No idea why though?

'Cause software ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, nav said:

Noticed a fence on the Stb arm

'Cause software ;)

Have we heard if Ben got his wish and received the FCS code so his team could "fix" it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mad said:

But nobody really wants to meet you though.:P

Not when they spout BS about me online. 

Sleaford Mods, Stick in a five and go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaxHugen said:

I've seen similar, although usually it seems to pause slightly just before going on to the "fully raised" position. No idea why though?

The engineers will tell us and I am glad you confirmed my imagination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

Not when they spout BS about me online. 

Sleaford Mods, Stick in a five and go. 

Most posts online are bullshit. It is the way of the interweb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2020 at 11:28 PM, dullers said:

It was posted 23 56 Christmas eve. You and Barfly need to look at the time of the original post.  The other thing is I made some posts on the 23rd of Dec of which you can research and see if the times are suitable for you. Re submarines others have pointed out on my behalf your inability to research.

 

 If you are going for smart replies you might as well get them right

OK, I skrood up. I woz rong; I  applide daylite sayving correkshun from my current lokayshun rong way rownd. 

Your spessifik  tym clame proovz you ar poasting from GB and I am offishally sorry I dowted you and doggd you with my "smart replize".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

I've seen similar, although usually it seems to pause slightly just before going on to the "fully raised" position. No idea why though?

Just need to bleed the system, just like the car brakes.^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dullers said:

The engineers will tell us and I am glad you confirmed my imagination.

It's possible, that the ram seems to pause as part of a non-return safety mechanism backed up by a quick release valve should the arm need to be lowered in an emergency situation. Or, it may be a two stage pump high volume lower pressure for the main movement followed by, a low volume higher pressure mode to lock the weight solidly up high. 

Or, the motor needs a bit of grease. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snaerk said:

OK, I skrood up. I woz rong; I  applide daylite sayving correkshun from my current lokayshun rong way rownd. 

Your spessifik  tym clame proovz you ar poasting from GB and I am offishally sorry I dowted you and doggd you with my "smart replize".

I cant help but respect that. Peace.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Salty Seacock said:

It's possible, that the ram seems to pause as part of a non-return safety mechanism backed up by a quick release valve should the arm need to be lowered in an emergency situation. Or, it may be a two stage pump high volume lower pressure for the main movement followed by, a low volume higher pressure mode to lock the weight solidly up high. 

Or, the motor needs a bit of grease. 

I doubt it is a lack of maint. Will have to watch the other boats more closely now because I think this movement is common to all the boats.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

 

So it's both more bow up and more bow down? See, UK science wins, they are using a Schrödinger configuration so you can't tell which it is until after we've won.

(No cats were harmed in the making of this post)

Both when towed and sailing, the boat is less bow down than previously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

Both when towed and sailing, the boat is less bow down than previously.

Maybe they had too much angle of attack on the wings and they now have reduced this, or they have changed the rudder and its horizontal flap for better control. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frackers and Amway ready to dock out bugger all wind which has gone round to the North maybe the sea breeze will build later this afternoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nav said:

EqeRUq3VoAETwC5?format=jpg&name=medium

Are they not allowed to use a lower forestay/hound attachment point when using little jibs?  The gap between the jib leach and mast does my head in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sosoomii said:

Are they not allowed to use a lower forestay/hound attachment point when using little jibs?  The gap between the jib leach and mast does my head in.

Are the jibs 1D? 

If so, bringing the attachment point down would presumably create some hinky sort of interface between the foot and the deck which would mess with the desired goal of end plating.