6 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I don't dispute his credentials as single handed sailor. He was great there no doubt about it.

As for AC34 in SF I think it was a combination that 1) the Boat was going faster and 2) The 3-Person Afterguard of Spithill/Ainslie/Slingsby was obviously far better than the 2-Person Brain Trust of Barker/Davies.

Since then his AC Involvement (Land Rover & ITUK) has been an utter failure. And you can't blame everything just on the Design. Sure, the Boats weren't fast enough but Ben has shown he lacks Leadership Skills IMO!

who else could wear ALL the hats he does in the AC/SailGP world, and then still drive the boat? Maybe the sign of good leadership would be him realising which AC hats to give to someone else rather.

(oh and he also has a newborn...holey moley)

ps. i don't think we recognise this enough, but he is EASILY the sailor in recent times who has raised the most capital to push his AC goals.

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

shes legit ... foil arm looks to be in the front end of the box ... opposite of all other teams ... what are we going to read into that?

ETNZ are probably favorites .....but win or lose....Team New Zealand have firmly established themselves as the all time great AC nation in the modern era.   From the time they first emerged, they have

Posted Images

Ben's a generational talent, but not clear he has what it takes to win the AC.  Only 3 sailors have had the skill to lead winning AC Campaigns in the last 25 years - Blake, Coutts and Dalton (yeah, all Kiwis, all tough as nails).

Starting with Blake, they knew you can't lead and drive the boat, they knew you have to make hard decisions about the sailing team including picking the best driver, they knew you need to spend a lot of time building the connection between the design team and the sailing team to ensure rapid development capability.

Ben has proven he was not in their league as a syndicate leader although he probably did more than anyone else could trying to be skipper, celebrity fundraiser, and team leader.

Now, with the fracker in charge, Ben may have the skills to drive a winner.  He's as good as anyone driving a big one design foiler - BUT BUT BUT - SailGP isn't a design contest like the Cup. In the last 3 AC's, the real magic has not happened on the race course - it happened when sailors like Ashby, Burling and Tuke can FEEL the speed potential of new sailing modes on the water and then sit down with the software guys and change the maneuvers and settings overnight.  

Ben doesn't have the time developing speed in Moths and A-Cats required to get that level of feel.

Not clear he has had enough time or the interest in building the tight feed back loop with the design team.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, cbulger said:

Ben's a generational talent, but not clear he has what it takes to win the AC.  Only 3 sailors have had the skill to lead winning AC Campaigns in the last 25 years - Blake, Coutts and Dalton (yeah, all Kiwis, all tough as nails).

Starting with Blake, they knew you can't lead and drive the boat, they knew you have to make hard decisions about the sailing team including picking the best driver, they knew you need to spend a lot of time building the connection between the design team and the sailing team to ensure rapid development capability.

Ben has proven he was not in their league as a syndicate leader although he probably did more than anyone else could trying to be skipper, celebrity fundraiser, and team leader.

Now, with the fracker in charge, Ben may have the skills to drive a winner.  He's as good as anyone driving a big one design foiler - BUT BUT BUT - SailGP isn't a design contest like the Cup. In the last 3 AC's, the real magic has not happened on the race course - it happened when sailors like Ashby, Burling and Tuke can FEEL the speed potential of new sailing modes on the water and then sit down with the software guys and change the maneuvers and settings overnight.  

Ben doesn't have the time developing speed in Moths and A-Cats required to get that level of feel.

Not clear he has had enough time or the interest in building the tight feed back loop with the design team.

In an interview in Seahorse last year Dalton, when asked who he would take for the AC, said Ben every time. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

I suppose you all saw that Oracle is now the title sponsor for Red Bull Racing (the F1 team).

Saw that too. $300M over 5 years, which is not enormous but it seems a possibility Oracle will be directly (or indirectly) funding..... Red Bull Alinghi! Lol

Silly vid above, I thought it would be better.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Saw that too. $300M over 5 years, which is not enormous but it seems a possibility Oracle will be directly (or indirectly) funding..... Red Bull Alinghi! Lol

The irony of Larry indirectly subsidizing Ernesto was what sprung to my mind. LOL, indeed!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

The irony of Larry indirectly subsidizing Ernesto was what sprung to my mind. LOL, indeed!

Sportman ship, Well done Larry.
Well done Ernesto as well.

14 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

Ernesto indirectly adding to the "use" of Oracle Cloud is the idea, Ernie probably doesn't care but Oracle Larry does. Still trailing AWS, Azure, Google. 

You know it’s a separate deal? F1vsAC 

be use you sponsor a drinks company in F1 doesn't mean that you are now sponsoring a boat  that is sponsored by the drinks company you sponsor in a totally different sport. 

6 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

You know it’s a separate deal? F1vsAC 

be use you sponsor a drinks company in F1 doesn't mean that you are now sponsoring a boat  that is sponsored by the drinks company you sponsor in a totally different sport. 

But both F1 and SGP are using Oracle Cloud. Even for free or a bribe. Means "growth" and marquee to add to slides. That's what Oracle cares about. And Larry owns over a third of the stock. Quite an accomplishment, actually. Don Lucas taught him well. Theranos aside.  

5 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

But both F1 and SGP are using Oracle Cloud. Even for free or a bribe. Means "growth" and marquee to add to slides. That's what Oracle cares about. And Larry owns over a third of the stock. Quite an accomplishment, actually. Don Lucas taught him well. Theranos aside.  

Stop reporting false Information. F1 ain't using the Oracle Cloud!

Just now, NeedAClew said:

The Oracle Cloud isn't allowed to be used during F1 Races. Get ready for some protests by Mercedes & Ferrari!

14 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Use is use, Mate. 

Maybe the others can get AWS or Azure or Google.

20220211_110730.jpg

I predict that there will be some Protests with this!

1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I predict that there will be some Protests with this!

It said "race day decisions." That could mean running millions of simulations of various tire strategies and fuel loads based on the weather forecast right up until the lights go out but not during the race. That would be legal.

Fun fact: running millions of simulations like this (at least with interest rates) is called a Monte Carlo simulation even though, ironically, Monaco is the only circuit where it wouldn't matter since there is no passing.

• Like 1
On 2/11/2022 at 8:08 AM, NeedAClew said:

Use is use, Mate. 

Maybe the others can get AWS or Azure or Google.

20220211_110730.jpg

I am guessing that the $300m is based on full retail price. Not really sure anyone is paying that. Oracle generally has premium prices and not the highest volume. They do have some very nice software and hardware running in their environment. And they do charge a premium for just about everything.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Ainslie is disllusional. He won't win anything! He won't win a Single Event in SailGP ever again! He is so bad for this Sport and Team!

Tell me, how much time have you actually spent on a sailing boat, you know the ones with those white flappy things up top and a wiggly rudder to guide it where ever you wish ???

INEOS can only win without Ainslie! Boot him off the Boat!

DG, do you sail, or are you just a fan of sailing?

It's a serious question, not meant to be provocative.

17 minutes ago, accnick said:

DG, do you sail, or are you just a fan of sailing?

It's a serious question, not meant to be provocative.

I sail myself!

On 2/27/2022 at 2:15 PM, Gissie said:

Rather small mast I would assume. Perhaps a finger and thumb job.

I know the average age in here must be around 65, but you all sure act like 6 year old's most of the time.

Stop Fighting GIFs | Tenor

2 minutes ago, ChairborneRanger said:

I know the average age in here must be around 65, but you all sure act like 6 year old's most of the time.

Stop Fighting GIFs | Tenor

I hope the small mast comment didn’t make you think of your boyfriend?

So if ABNZ don't announce a venue by end of March, will//should Ineos as COR start to get more strident?

Even force the issue by threatening a DoG challenge (which by timing can force it to be in southern hemispehere)?

Just now, enigmatically2 said:

So if ABNZ don't announce a venue by end of March, will//should Ineos as COR start to get more strident?

Even force the issue by threatening a DoG challenge (which by timing can force it to be in southern hemispehere)?

One would assume their patience can only run so long... but I wonder if they would think DoG is advantageous or not.

1 minute ago, rh3000 said:

One would assume their patience can only run so long... but I wonder if they would think DoG is advantageous or not.

Well terms allow a DoG challenge to agree between both parties anything they like. SO they can agree the same class and course if they want (I can't see ABNZ disagreeing). But they may want to go for something more radical to make the most of the cash they have and GD does not

11 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Finally Ainslie admits and says that his Sailing Career is winding down and he would step aside if someone younger beats him:

https://www.cityam.com/sir-ben-ainslie-on-sailing-management-and-when-he-plans-to-stop-racing/

leave your basement and travel east, dont stop until the shelling starts. for the good of everyone else .

• Like 1
On 3/3/2022 at 8:48 PM, enigmatically2 said:

Please DG could you change your avatar. On behalf of Ineos and all Brits we do not want anyone to think you are associated in any way with any of us.

Surprised he doesn't have the NZ logo, certainly a bit of an extreme fan boi. Would fit right in with the others.

the Ineos sports teams are in themselves a PR expense for the company. iow - the entire team is existentially a PR exercise. so yes - its a slick package.

• Like 1

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/sport/463094/plenty-of-interest-in-new-mercedes-f1-car

Formula One champions Mercedes were the talk of pre-season testing in Bahrain after turning up with a radically revised car that caught the eye and raised hackles at rivals Red Bull.

The new-look W13 car featured dramatically narrower sidepods, with Formula One's motorsport managing director Ross Brawn saying the concept was impressive and a "very extreme interpretation of the regulation" that had not been anticipated.

"Inevitably, there's going to be a lot of debate about their interpretation. That's what happens with new regulations," he told F1 TV

eight_col_pet.jpeg

4 hours ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/sport/463094/plenty-of-interest-in-new-mercedes-f1-car

Formula One champions Mercedes were the talk of pre-season testing in Bahrain after turning up with a radically revised car that caught the eye and raised hackles at rivals Red Bull.

The new-look W13 car featured dramatically narrower sidepods, with Formula One's motorsport managing director Ross Brawn saying the concept was impressive and a "very extreme interpretation of the regulation" that had not been anticipated.

"Inevitably, there's going to be a lot of debate about their interpretation. That's what happens with new regulations," he told F1 TV

eight_col_pet.jpeg

"A very extreme interpretation of the regulation" describes what every AC design team tries to do. Then the rules guys look at it and say "we never thought somebody would do something like that."

It doesn't matter how you write a rule. Someone is likely to find a clever way to do whatever you are trying to stop.

6 hours ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

eight_col_pet.jpeg

Amazing.. the article shows the render of the launch car, not the one they tested in Barcelona or the new one that is the focus of the article 

6 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Amazing.. the article shows the render of the launch car, not the one they tested in Barcelona or the new one that is the focus of the article 

I think this is the new one?

01_W13_Front_GR_AKK.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

I think this is the new one?

01_W13_Front_GR_AKK.jpeg

I think this is just a render of the FIA showcar with Merc paint? Here is the latest spec Merc the article refers to.racefansdotnet-21-03-10-13-51-36-31.thumb.jpg.2855c166abf54241458acf1a4965d6f1.jpg

16 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

More here about the new Mercedes aero design

Who knew? Mercedes puts a new Car out AND all what the others Teams can do especially Red Bull is crying FOUL! I am a huge F1 Fan as well not just an AC Fan. I am sick and tired by all these distortions trying to drag Toto, James Allison, Geoff Willis and the entire Mercedes Team to the mud.

Sailbydate, this upcoming America's Cup Cycle is going to be very, very interesting. Finally we have a real Rivalry in the Cup, excatly what we needed to promote the AC.

Pigs are going to fly in this AC because Wolff & Horner can't stand each other. This Mercedes/Red Bull Rivalry will most definitly spill over to the AC!

2 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Who knew? Mercedes puts a new Car out AND all what the others Teams can do especially Red Bull is crying FOUL! I am a huge F1 Fan as well not just an AC Fan. I am sick and tired by all these distortions trying to drag Toto, James Allison, Geoff Willis and the entire Mercedes Team to the mud.

Sailbydate, this upcoming America's Cup Cycle is going to be very, very interesting. Finally we have a real Rivalry in the Cup, excatly what we needed to promote the AC.

Pigs are going to fly in this AC because Wolff & Horner can't stand each other. This Mercedes/Red Bull Rivalry will most definitly spill over to the AC!

Hopefully, as far as their involvement in the AC is concerned, that rivalry will prove a huge distraction to ARBR and IB. ;-)

13 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Hopefully, as far as their involvement in the AC is concerned, that rivalry will prove a huge distraction to ARBR and IB. ;-)

The Question is: When does Sir Jim Ratcliffe have enough of this Venue posturing by the Kiwis? If this does get delayed another 6 months I can see INEOS Britannia/RYS withdrawing from AC37! It wouldn't be the first time a CoR decides to withdraw.

18 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

The Question is: When does Sir Jim Ratcliffe have enough of this Venue posturing by the Kiwis? If this does get delayed another 6 months I can see INEOS Britannia/RYS withdrawing from AC37! It wouldn't be the first time a CoR decides to withdraw.

Nobody wants to see another Venue delay (except GD, if maybe he still hasn't secured a tenable offer) but I seriously doubt Sir Jim would toss is toys out of the cot. He want's to WIN the Cup, which is why he's involved. Why would he give up the 'perceived' advantage of CoR?

5 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Nobody wants to see another Venue delay

A delay to 2025 could effectively end it for several syndicates. The burn rate is too high - maybe especially so for money-starved ETNZ.

19 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

A delay to 2025 could effectively end it for several syndicates. The burn rate is too high - maybe especially so for money-starved ETNZ.

I don't think a venue delay would "end it for several syndicates" clearly the syndicates involved are in it for the long haul. Every syndicate is involved because they want to WIN. Gone are the days of Torbjorn Tornquist and Kazuhiko “Fuku” Sofuku who were there to assist Larry Ellison. These teams are independent and determined to win. With the addition of the F1 teams, resources aren't a problem. The AC40's will provide a relevant and valuable training and development tool, as will the G1 AC75's the teams will have access to. A delay would simply provide longer training and R&D time for the teams.

Why would he not issue a DOG challenge if NZ don't meet the 31st date?

8 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

That would lie with RYS Chairman Bertie Bicket to decide! DoG would mean Courts will likely get involved. Withdrawal would be the better Option!

4 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

That would lie with RYS Chairman Bertie Bicket to decide! DoG would mean Courts will likely get involved. Withdrawal would be the better Option!

Does JR look like a man who can't afford lawyers?

3 minutes ago, chesirecat said:

I don't think "withdraw" is in Sir Jim Ratcliffe's language going off his business track record.

Especially when his opponent would be on the ropes (if by then they don't have money)

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, chesirecat said:

I don't think "withdraw" is in Sir Jim Ratcliffe's language going off his business track record.

I think we will have a Venue by March 31st because that Date is a binding one imposed by the AC37 Protocol.

The Sept. 17th Deadline was a "Non-Binding" one because the Protocol governing the 37th America's Cup had not been released.

The Kiwis would need an Agreement from the RYS to amend the Protocol to extend the Period for the Venue Selection yet again.

1 hour ago, enigmatically2 said:

Am guessing he could hold ETNZ to that March 31st date but more likely is that they will be held to a 2024 Match.

51 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Especially when his opponent would be on the ropes (if by then they don't have money)

Ratcliffe has already spoken about his thoughts regarding the Cup and its future. He did an interview following the last cup, where he talked about wanting to win on the water by beating the best team. He mentioned how the Cup has been besieged by court action in recent history and how it has damaged the Cup, and he did not want to go down that road again. That's why he didn't want a 1 on 1 match with ETNZ because it would be perceived as him "buying the cup" which is something he didn't want to be perceived as doing, the way Larry Ellison is.

There won't be a Deed of Gift match. What is more likely is either Team NZ announces a venue on March 31st, or INEOS and Team agree to a protocol amendment to extend the date further, in light of the present global situation.

Yes he wants to play fair, but he is not going to give unlimited time.

And why should the AC be postponed 2 years hence, when every other sport is carrying on? F1, rugby, football (with possible exception of Chelsea), tennis. Paralympics. Everything. No events in Russia, Russian teams and athletes banned. Carry on.

2 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Yes he wants to play fair, but he is not going to give unlimited time.

And why should the AC be postponed 2 years hence, when every other sport is carrying on? F1, rugby, football (with possible exception of Chelsea), tennis. Paralympics. Everything. No events in Russia, Russian teams and athletes banned. Carry on.

Ìf the CoR agrees, why not? If the protocol allows it, why not?

2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Ìf the CoR agrees, why not? If the protocol allows it, why not?

I doubt though the CoR would agree to move the Match to 2025!

9 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

So turn the burn rate down. If you have a year longer to do something you need fewer to do it. Inconvenient yes, impossible no. The AC is not social security for sailors.

On 3/12/2022 at 10:07 PM, Forourselves said:

Ratcliffe has already spoken about his thoughts regarding the Cup and its future. He did an interview following the last cup, where he talked about wanting to win on the water by beating the best team. He mentioned how the Cup has been besieged by court action in recent history and how it has damaged the Cup, and he did not want to go down that road again. That's why he didn't want a 1 on 1 match with ETNZ because it would be perceived as him "buying the cup" which is something he didn't want to be perceived as doing, the way Larry Ellison is.

There won't be a Deed of Gift match. What is more likely is either Team NZ announces a venue on March 31st, or INEOS and Team agree to a protocol amendment to extend the date further, in light of the present global situation.

Present global situation? 

you Teeing  up Covid or Ukraine as the reason for a venue extension? 

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

Present global situation? 

you Teeing  up Covid or Ukraine as the reason for a venue extension? 

Seems reasonable. Its not as if any other sport is going ahead in Europe or the world

Apart from the football, F1, Rugby, Horse racing, cricket, or in fact any other sport including cheese rolling and tiddledywinks.

Granted, if you were hoping for or using Russian money (e.g. Haas F1, Chelsea FC) then a re-think is needed, but apart from that there shouldn't be a problem. The IMF is still forecasting positive growth in the world economy this year (though less than pre-invasion).

And Covid? How very last year

15 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

And Covid? How very last year

It's certainly gone from the news. However UK cases and hospitalisations have been on an uptick lately.

2 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

It's certainly gone from the news. However UK cases and hospitalisations have been on an uptick lately.

Fortress New Zealand has finally been breached in a big way too. Fucking bugs.

@Sailbydate have we flattened the curve enough?  It is definitely out of the lamp.  About half of the young (up here) have either had it and know, or have had it and are unaware? I'm told by ambulance friends.

4 hours ago, Kiwing said:

@Sailbydate have we flattened the curve enough?  It is definitely out of the lamp.  About half of the young (up here) have either had it and know, or have had it and are unaware? I'm told by ambulance friends.

Not sure, Mate. Auckland seems to have gotten there, but there's a pretty big lag around the regions, by the look.

A few more deaths to be recorded, especially amongst my vintage. Our daughter, her husband and two infant children have all be infected, but all had very mild symptoms, thank goodness. All recovered now. Such a relief.

7 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Not sure, Mate. Auckland seems to have gotten there, but there's a pretty big lag around the regions, by the look.

A few more deaths to be recorded, especially amongst my vintage. Our daughter, her husband and two infant children have all be infected, but all had very mild symptoms, thank goodness. All recovered now. Such a relief.

Everyone in the world will get this eventually I feel despite vaccinations and all of that.

COVID may be gone from the news over seas, but its still very much front page news here in NZ. Deaths and case numbers are still high, and still being reported on a daily basis.

It seems the 6pm news is juggling the two big stories of the day, between the Russian invasion and the Omicron outbreak. 

Where I work (as a critical worker) we have a team of 7 people. 5 of them were off last week, due to the 10 day isolation period for positive and household workers. 3 of them are still off.

COVID is still very much the big news of the day in NZ.