Jump to content

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Maybe something like this tomorrow will tell.

94179D09-0852-4F62-9905-535D28C09DCF.png.3d68b5ccbb10ea0a659358e1578053bb.png

 

Funny you should show this, because I had seen an images like this  before, but my slow old brain couldn’t place where. Then you show me an Imoca boat. Hit  palm of hand onto forehead ......”of course “ 

Your 100% correct ..Is this Hugo  Boss ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

shes legit ... foil arm looks to be in the front end of the box ... opposite of all other teams ... what are we going to read into that?

ETNZ are probably favorites .....but win or lose....Team New Zealand have firmly established themselves as the all time great AC nation in the modern era.   From the time they first emerged, they have

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Funny you should show this, because I had seen an images like this  before, but my slow old brain couldn’t place where. Then you show me an Imoca boat. Hit  palm of hand onto forehead ......”of course “ 

Your 100% correct ..Is this Hugo  Boss ?


A56614B2-0F61-4CBC-9073-31D6AD0BEF52.thumb.jpeg.e6f02765dc2085c25d4918ea822f1bc3.jpeg

Guillaume Verdier TNZ principle designer through VPLP would of had some input so did the Tongans.

5B8EB556-BEA4-4F70-9801-646B4A7879A9.thumb.jpeg.2cc25ce511967d79f602ce2ee80e43fb.jpeg

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WetHog said:

Did the Brits actually build a building?  Doesn’t look like they are using tents like AM and LR.  I went looking in the venue thread but didn’t find any recent info  

WetHog  :ph34r:

Yes they did. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, WetHog said:

Did the Brits actually build a building?  Doesn’t look like they are using tents like AM and LR.  I went looking in the venue thread but didn’t find any recent info  

WetHog  :ph34r:

A glimpse @ around 1:43:
https://www.sailweb.co.uk/2020/10/01/americas-cup-ineos-team-uks-new-ac75-has-arrived-in-new-zealand/

Link to post
Share on other sites

If that skeg/keel is in the water when tacking/rounding up its going to mighty hard to overcome its straight line tenancies.   Great to see the B2s we've seen so far are looking pretty different - be interesting to see what works and what doesn't.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this seem like a desperate move to anyone else? Boat 1 was so far off the pace, that you look at the other boats and go "well ya know what, we think we nailed the top sides, but the others have a skeg.. let's go all-in on that and cross our fingers". Again, I feel bad for the boat builders who had to diligently work all those man-hours to carefully make a pile of dog shit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JALhazmat said:

New boom arrangement, box arrangement that it disappears into is interesting too 

Four ourselves with old kiwi humour ;-)

Think you will find that the box is just a box that comes off when mast is standing.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Think you will find that the box is just a box that comes off when mast is standing.

 

Yeah, it's just to protect the mast step and hydraulic connections. It comes off later. We see the other teams do the same.

1140320-01.jpeg

1140321-01.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

Yeah, it's just to protect the mast step and hydraulic connections. It comes off later. We see the other teams do the same.

1140320-01.jpeg

1140321-01.jpeg

So they now have to start from scratch again with their main Sail development now that they have a boom......oops. Good to see they realised their mistake. Looking forward to seeing Prada’s boom

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a mish mash of everything they've seen. She has Te Aihe's shape at the stern, with Luna Rossa's keel, widened to more of a Te Aihe bustle shape, she has a deck layout with helmsman aft similar to American Magic, a boom setup similar to Te Aihe, and a bow shape which seems to be an evolution of their first boat.

Its like Holroyd has put all models of all the other boats together, and programmed the computer to combine them all and said, "Right this is what the computer has come up with and this is what we're building.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, uflux said:

So they now have to start from scratch again with their main Sail development now that they have a boom......oops. Good to see they realised their mistake. Looking forward to seeing Prada’s boom

Looks like a non-articulating boom too which is what AM ditched moving from their B1 to B2 (and ETNZ have on B1 already)....

So, at the moment AM have added an articulating boom and moved helm positioned forward whilst INEOS have moved helm position aft and gone with a rigid boom. So much for convergence....

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Its a mish mash of everything they've seen. 

Shock horror 4yourselves doesnt like RB2. In other news he will like NZ2 and think its fast, even if it turns out identical to RB2

 

But are you looking at different pictures to everyone else? Who else has that lateral stepping? Who else has those holes? The bustle is nothing like LRs and the foils are different.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Costro said:

Self tacking jib track

Are banned.

 

I dunno, Amway goes for a Uffa Foxalike, Basher goes for a Phil Bolger box boat

bee-07.jpg

Whats the handbag boat going to be, a pregnant cow IOR shitter?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Its a mish mash of everything they've seen. 

Shock horror 4yourselves doesnt like RB2. In other news he will like NZ2 and think its fast, even if it turns out identical to RB2

 

But are you looking at different pictures to everyone else? Who else has that lateral stepping? Who else has those holes? The bustle is nothing like LRs and the foils are different.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, looks good to me. Bold design, no half-hearted measures there, and a natural progression of the B1 concept.

That graphic effect around the bow and under-belly does bring back that vision of the stepping lizard, or perhaps an alligator?

1140217-01.jpeg.82e0d822c33612557054707d9d528b38.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Wow, looks good to me. Bold design, no half-hearted measures there, and a natural progression of the B1 concept.

That graphic effect around the bow and under-belly does bring back that vision of the stepping lizard, or perhaps an alligator?

1140217-01.jpeg.82e0d822c33612557054707d9d528b38.jpg

There diamonds imbedded in the hull used for fracking in NZ waters

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, weta27 said:

Wow, looks good to me. Bold design, no half-hearted measures there, and a natural progression of the B1 concept.

That graphic effect around the bow and under-belly does bring back that vision of the stepping lizard, or perhaps an alligator?

1140217-01.jpeg.82e0d822c33612557054707d9d528b38.jpg

More like a sperm whale.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8C413BE4-1C16-4C29-A382-7D70052A01BF.jpeg.7ea176e2804c3e9b033e5eba3c68ca4a.jpg.f91a5ddeed016857a93e6d1115dbad54.jpg

This hull profile is super complex, and pretty interesting.

The thick keel reminds me of some large fishing kayaks, and I wonder if when at high speed, the flat bottom almost helps it plane over the water surface during touch down.

The intermediate section still looks like it might be quite suctiony though... will be interesting to see this one perform out in the water.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Wow, looks good to me. Bold design, no half-hearted measures there, and a natural progression of the B1 concept.

That graphic effect around the bow and under-belly does bring back that vision of the stepping lizard, or perhaps an alligator?

1140217-01.jpeg.82e0d822c33612557054707d9d528b38.jpg

Camouflages the barnacles they will pick up around the course.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some similarities to AM, but a lot of differences.  One boat is all curves and the other all shape edges.

From the initial podcasts discussions with the designers, it was obvious that both UK and AM liked the LR B1 design.  The UK boat pushed it more to an extreme with adding a part of the NZ bustle concepts.  The UK design looks to be a "catch all", throw in the kitchen sink, design that can't be the most aerodynamic.   I mean, wtf are the bumps sticking out to attach the stays?  That has got to disrupt laminar flow....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikenz2 said:

Christened and launch without her mast

 

1140188-01.jpeg

1140182-01.jpeg

1140217-01.jpeg

 

ETNZ style boom , we know how reliable that is. Look at the deck shape inboard and aft of the helm, draw a straight line from end of traveler to boom rotation point. Guessing thats full out trim. Of note the traveler is full length to boat 1's shorter, so they think they need more travel. Also helped in the jib track shaping with flicking up on end to depower the jib.

Top of the rudder stock is visible, They havent put the fairing on. You can see the titanium top bearing and the for/aft ram is inside that faired part above the bracing arms.

Speaking of rudder: have a look at pic 3 and how far aft of the skeg the rudder is, Maybe getting the blade away from the vortices of the skeg? Rudder depth looks shallow too

Now for the hull shape. What strikes me is the amount of rocker in the hull itself (not bustle). The notion of it being sticky on take off, I don't think so. Draw a line on a 10 degree angle and sit the boat on it You'll see it creates 2 tunnels of concave areas for air to help unstick the hull out of the water, Same as ETNZ boat 1.

As for bulkiness of the hull shape, the best indication of this is by looking at the foil arm rotation points. These points are by rules all in the same place 540 above WL and 2050 off CL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gungabow said:

 

ETNZ style boom , we know how reliable that is. Look at the deck shape inboard and aft of the helm, draw a straight line from end of traveler to boom rotation point. Guessing thats full out trim. Of note the traveler is full length to boat 1's shorter, so they think they need more travel. Also helped in the jib track shaping with flicking up on end to depower the jib.

Top of the rudder stock is visible, They havent put the fairing on. You can see the titanium top bearing and the for/aft ram is inside that faired part above the bracing arms.

Speaking of rudder: have a look at pic 3 and how far aft of the skeg the rudder is, Maybe getting the blade away from the vortices of the skeg? Rudder depth looks shallow too

Now for the hull shape. What strikes me is the amount of rocker in the hull itself (not bustle). The notion of it being sticky on take off, I don't think so. Draw a line on a 10 degree angle and sit the boat on it You'll see it creates 2 tunnels of concave areas for air to help unstick the hull out of the water, Same as ETNZ boat 1.

As for bulkiness of the hull shape, the best indication of this is by looking at the foil arm rotation points. These points are by rules all in the same place 540 above WL and 2050 off CL.

Be interesting to see how it sits in the water compared to AM and TNZ 

Link to post