2 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

No, because those are mass consumer products, but in my industry where I have contracted a supplier to develop something (as in this case) then they sure as hell provide the source code. 

Thats not the case at all, INEOS have entered a yacht race bound by rules which include supplied components. I'm sure they would like to have contracted a supplier but thats not what the rules permit.

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

shes legit ... foil arm looks to be in the front end of the box ... opposite of all other teams ... what are we going to read into that?

ETNZ are probably favorites .....but win or lose....Team New Zealand have firmly established themselves as the all time great AC nation in the modern era.   From the time they first emerged, they have

And so it begins. Image credit and copyright Allesandro Spiga  

Posted Images

Just now, JonRowe said:

Thats not the case at all, INEOS have entered a yacht race bound by rules which include supplied components. I'm sure they would like to have contracted a supplier but thats not what the rules permit.

No, but ETNZ have contracted the supplier. Do they have the source code?

If not- incompetent

If yes- unfair

5 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Read my post above, I literally quote what the teams say. Read it as you will. For sure they didn't say 'yeah the FCS works exactly as we expected'.

There have been rumblings going on about it for over a year. Luna Rossa had a public spat about it last month. Stick your head in the sand all you want. 

Pete said he would give Ben the information he needed. Ben asked for the software. Let's see if Pete is as good as his word. 

Good to see the whinging Pom title is well and truly alive in the 21st. century:lol:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, enigmatically2 said:

No, but ETNZ have contracted the supplier. Do they have the source code?

If not- incompetent

If yes- unfair

We can't answer that question but if not, possibly to remain fair, it's possible for a contract to state the source will be released after the event ;) 

7 minutes ago, Indio said:

When you have a problem, does Microsoft provide you source code for Excel, or Word?? Does Google provide you source code when your Android smart phone refuses to work?

Thought so..

No, but if you want a better metaphor for supplied parts, when tracing point or Williams have an engine issue Mercedes run around like headless chickens to resolve it.

The same with Ferrari and Renault. 

It's still getting software updates, so obviously something isn't right or they wouldn't need to update it. 

All the teams have had issues, it's been reported and in the press conference. Is this why Ineos are slow? Doubtful. 

Is the whole thing making them take their eye of the game and giving them extra worries? You bet.

15 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Its not hard to police that the s/w hasn't been changed even if source code is supplied. I know of it having to be done in a few domains

Of course, but why supply it if it's not going to be changed?

2 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

We can't answer that question but if not, possibly to remain fair, it's possible for a contract to state the source will be released after the event ;) 

But they haven''t said that either. No evidence of them trying to help or prove its not that that is the issue

3 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

But as was pointed out, it is being changed. And if you have the source code it helps you debug 

Yes that leads to the second problem. Team X says 'we looked at the code and want you to change this' - but another team disagrees, or even worse it introduces a new bug!

9 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

No, because those are mass consumer products, but in my industry where I have contracted a supplier to develop something (as in this case) then they sure as hell provide the source code. 

Ineos have fucked up the integration of the FCS into their ECC, pure and simple. The FCS simply controls the raising and lowering of the foil arms only, nothing more: as such, it is a simple On/Off switch controlling the directional-control solenoid valves controlling the hydraulic cylinders. Nothing complicated because they're not allowed to use proportional control or servo valves which provide feedback to the ECC.

The fact that Ineos' foil arms are noticeably much slower to raise points to insufficient hydraulic oilflow to the rams - which could be caused by a degradation in the power to the 15kw motor. All the other teams use the same system.

Sir Ben wants ETNZ to provide him with the software running on their ECC so he can "see" how Te Rehutai is so stable with their consistent low ride-height - like that's going to happen:lol:

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, MultiMono said:

No, but if you want a better metaphor for supplied parts, when tracing point or Williams have an engine issue Mercedes run around like headless chickens to resolve it.

The same with Ferrari and Renault. 

It's still getting software updates, so obviously something isn't right or they wouldn't need to update it. 

All the teams have had issues, it's been reported and in the press conference. Is this why Ineos are slow? Doubtful. 

Is the whole thing making them take their eye of the game and giving them extra worries? You bet.

Sir Ben didn't say whether the "software update" was from the suppliers of the FCS, or an update to their ECC software from their own engineers.

I don't know what "software" is needed to control a simple On/Off switch to raise and lower the foil arms which is all the FCS does. This is an FCS-ECC integration fuck-up by Ineos engineers.

• Like 2

Easy solution

every kiwi with a pulse thinks INEOS is shit, easiest way to prove that Ben is mug? give him what he wants and when that doesn't work they can sit there on their freshly oiled dicking and chortle into a cold one 

do they want to take the risk though? nope so they wont,  Pete looks disingenuous with his offer of help and GD wont care as long as the precious stays at home.

that's how its gonna play out 

5 hours ago, JonRowe said:

Hydraulic lines can leak, there is an (I think acknowledged) issue with the seals on the rams leaking because they're underspec for the pressure the teams run at.

The design of the hydraulic lines is also crucial, the routing of them affects the flow and pressure, pinch points can and do occur;

I wanted to correct this.

Hydraulic lines WILL leak.  Period.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Indio said:

Sir Ben didn't say whether the "software update" was from the suppliers of the FCS, or an update to their ECC software from their own engineers.

I don't know what "software" is needed to control a simple On/Off switch to raise and lower the foil arms which is all the FCS does. This is an FCS-ECC integration fuck-up by Ineos engineers.

you know that as fact do you ?

the operation of the arm going up and down when you want, need and  expect it to has sweet fuck all to maintaining consistent ride height, but you know that already.

23 minutes ago, MultiMono said:

Are you serious?  Do you know how software even works?

Those updates could be as serious as "we found a way to improve the speed of the software 2%", or "corrected the spelling on page 3 of the display unit".

3 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Easy solution

every kiwi with a pulse thinks INEOS is shit, easiest way to prove that Ben is mug? give him what he wants and when that doesn't work they can sit there on their freshly oiled dicking and chortle into a cold one 

do they want to take the risk though? nope so they wont,  Pete looks disingenuous with his offer of help and GD wont care as long as the precious stays at home.

that's how its gonna play out 

sorry dude, you have stayed off the reservation. 

5 hours ago, ed__miller said:

anyone here had any experience of hydraulic systems? What’s the normal lifecycle of maintenance?

Hydraulic systems are usually extremely low maintenance.  You just suck all the leaking fluid out of the drip pan once in a while.  However, most hydraulic systems are not built with a focus on extreme weight savings.  They're over-built with an eye to robustness and reliability.  So it's quite hard to say, really.

• Like 3
Just now, JALhazmat said:

Really? Which bit is wrong? 

The bit where Pete and Dalton have horns.

Also, why should Ben get something just cos he fucking wants it? Life is tough and doesn't work that way.

Finally you need to make peace with the possibility that the team built a shit boat.

Happened in Bermuda and looks like history might have repeated. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

He sounds remarkably like Trump, doesn't he?  The best people.  Trust me.

Hahaha. Tried to "Like" your post but they won't let me :blink:. Sir Ben just wants ETNZ to give him their ECC control system, because his engineers have fucked up. Maybe they misplaced some of the "millions of datapoints" they were collecting daily...

oh you really think GD gives a fuck if he throws the young pup under the bus to keep his cup? not a chance

that's what I said he wont get it.

if its that shit then give him what he asked and it wont make a difference will it?  i mean it might keep the contest that bit more interesting  and bring them and teh money back again but why would they want more participants next time? 

1 minute ago, JALhazmat said:

oh you really think GD gives a fuck if he throws the young pup under the bus to keep his cup? not a chance

if its that shit then give him what he asked and it wont make a difference will it?  i mean it might keep the contest that bit more interesting  and bring them and teh money back again but why would they want more participants next time? 

While he's at it, Sir Ben might as well ask ETNZ to give him the details of their mainsail control system, the blueprint of the crew pods, what they have for breakfast, what toilet paper they use - there's no end to what he can ask for:D.

Ineos will be concentrating on the Grenadier post-AC36, so Sir Ben will have to find another sponsor for AC37 - and better electronic engineers.

33 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Are you serious?  Do you know how software even works?

Those updates could be as serious as "we found a way to improve the speed of the software 2%", or "corrected the spelling on page 3 of the display unit".

oh, come off it. The questions about the software have been going on for ages. 
And to me it's pretty clear that the receipt of software update Ben talks about have been from ETNZ. 

25 minutes ago, Indio said:

While he's at it, Sir Ben might as well ask ETNZ to give him the details of their mainsail control system, the blueprint of the crew pods, what they have for breakfast, what toilet paper they use - there's no end to what he can ask for:D.

The FCS is a one design component. So... there's a pretty big difference. ETNZ have inside knowledge of the workings of this one design component and funnily enough, it isn't causing Peter any issues. Maybe ETNZ are just superior engineers? Maybe they're cheats? Give INEOS the code and we'll find out. 

1 hour ago, rh3000 said:

Of course, but why supply it if it's not going to be changed?

So it can be used to diagnose the problem. If the software is sending the FCS in to limp mode. Or randomly frying batteries. It would be helpful to know why. It seemed to be one of thing the yanks were saying, how unpredictable it seemed. .  

7 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

oh, come off it. The questions about the software have been going on for ages. 
And to me it's pretty clear that the receipt of software update Ben talks about have been from ETNZ.

You really don't get it, do you? The FCS is NOT controlled by ANY "software": it'll be just a little water-tight box with a marinised toggle switch which will say "UP" on the top, and "DOWN" on the bottom.

The "software update" would have been from the Brexitannia "super" electronic engineers updating their ECC which is NOT a supplied item.

Now go lie down and take your pills for the headache you're getting:D

45 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Once again, you don't get shit just cos you throw a tantrum.

Quite frankly Ben seems to have an incredibly big ego and incredibly small EQ.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Indio said:

Can't wait for the next Magnus offering..

Here it is

Amateur Hour

If this were a soccer team in the UK, the manager would be fired in the tunnel. The board would have been summoned by the Chairman in the Director’s box for a quick meeting. The human capital team would be on standby with the paperwork, the lawyers would be nodding and rubbing their hands obsequiously in agreement with the boss. Chatter would most likely be in Russian and a swift round of vodka shots would be being poured by a flunky stage left. A vicious lacky would be sent down to give the news. The manager would feign shock but he knew the results just weren’t good enough, he wasn’t good enough and his back-room staff let him down. He looked like a duck, he walked like a duck but he wasn’t, when it came to it, a duck. He might be back, but at a club in a lower division or abroad and he’ll know that he blew the chance of a lifetime to be managing a money-no-object team with the world’s best at his beck and call.

That’s what happens in soccer. It’s unlikely to happen in the America’s Cup but on the face of the performance today from Ineos, it should. Heads should be rolling. Swords should be fallen upon. It was as bad as it could possibly get with technical breakdowns hogging the headlines but masking the far bigger issues – no boatspeed and a crew that look like they’ve never met before. I’ve said it before but this is the end of the cycle, not the beginning. Three years of blood, sweat and tears has been poured into this and to be honest it looks like a bunch of amateurs who have hired a boat out of Portsmouth for a weekend’s racing with the big boys in Cowes.

The grinders look isolated, inefficient and an aero drag with their outboard facing single units. The flight controller just behind Ben is hanging on for dear life (when he’s not in the way) trying to look upwards whilst wielding a control pad that he looks like dropping at any second. Giles Scott looks like a spare part at a funeral, aimlessly crossing the boat to take up a redundant leeward position to call tactics (“we’re 5 minutes behind” is the call) whilst Ben was swearing like a trooper as the boat pitched and yawled, desperately willing better from all around him and his charge. Horrible to watch.

201215_sejr_americanmagic_40679-1024x102 © Sailing Energy / American Magic

And we learned from the get-go that all the whispers I’ve been hearing were true. The boat sticks on splashdown – even in a breeze. It can’t point and it’s dog slow. The full Mercedes F1 Team with every single designer from Brackley would have a hard time dragging this donkey to the top of the ranks now. Upgrades? Forget it. Money down the drain. Wishing for radical breakthroughs at this stage is like a drunk at the roulette wheel at the end of the night wanting one last spin. It is desperate. The ‘team’ have capitulated and the cracks have become chasms. Something is seriously wrong and I’m afraid there might have to be some big structural changes, starting at the top, to try and turn this around before they become the laughing stock of this cycle, if they aren’t already – social media feeds are being far more brutal than I. The echo chamber upstairs at Ineos Team UK, quite frankly, isn’t working.

Two ‘races’ that were the let down of an otherwise thrilling opening day of the Prada Christmas regatta are quite frankly not worth dwelling on from a British perspective. The stories were all elsewhere and in the fickle manner of sport, we move on.

What did we learn otherwise. Well, Team Magic had a very good day powering off the start line, higher and faster and extending into a five minutes win over the hapless Brits. They looked good all round but loads of room for improvement. Their big win came in the second race of the day against a wounded Team New Zealand who were fighting the boat from before the pre-start with what looked like main track problems. The Kiwis didn’t give up, managed the delta loss and then showed why they are still the favourites by a country mile as they ground down Magic on the second beat, lit the afterburners impressively, and had them like a turkey in the last throes of the final windward mark. Quite how Pete Burling threw it away from there will be one for the debrief tapes but Dean Barker came back and eked an unlikely victory after a poor Kiwi gybe at the top that they didn’t execute. Fascinating but the speed is all with the Kiwis if they can keep the boat together.

m4442_etnz_js_201217_0607.jpg?w=1024 Copyright (and many thanks) to Emirates Team New Zealand

And the speed factor was exposed brutally earlier, in the first race of the day as they absolutely smoked away from Prada and issued a thumping of a beating that Pitbull was scratching his head over in the onboard interview, admitting that the Kiwis were faster all round – better in a straight line, better around the corners. Tough to beat.

So it’s the Americans at the top of the pile overnight and a hell of a day for the Brits tomorrow with two races against the Kiwis. Betting has been suspended other than the spread-betters offering total margin of victory spreads to Team New Zealand. Currently the smart money is long at 10 minutes. It’s honestly academic now. This is going to be a brutal day. I wish beyond all reason that I had something, anything, more positive to report. Dire.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

It was a fresh system INEOS put on for the day, supplied by ETNZ that day. Given a brand new unit didn't make it to a second race, then, well, there is certainly a fault with the kit, or how they are using it, not just maintenance. 

1263116629_whiningpom.jpg.23d6332c1375d64ba8934a787135a55a.jpg

4 minutes ago, Indio said:

You really don't get it, do you? The FCS is NOT controlled by ANY "software": it'll be just a little water-tight box with a marinised toggle switch which will say "UP" on the top, and "DOWN" on the bottom.

The "software update" would have been from the Brexitannia "super" electronic engineers updating their ECC which is NOT a supplied item.

Now go lie down and take your pills for the headache you're getting:D

Get a grip man. This has all been over before. 

"• The foil arm and the foil cant system are one-design supplied parts. The cant system, in particular, is a unique and complex piece of software-controlled electro-mechanical engineering which alone took six months to develop and test"
"through the control and logic programme on the PLC we control the cylinders"
"there is a bit of oscillation still seen, but through the logic program and trimming of the hydraulic system we can alleviate that bounce"

I agree with Indio who appears to know a fair amount about hydraulic systems. INEOS has had plenty of time to get the relatively simple up and down sorted. In the UK they never put enough time in in the water. Then they saw the opposition and made a radical change to their design. Combined it means a boat with low speed handling problems, particularly getting onto the foils. Ben cant blame that on Kiwi software! Then they have problems getting the foils up and down. Most likely as Indio says lack of power to the rams. Then they have a problem adjusting ride height, so foil flaps and control software not good. Then the foot of their mainsail doesn't give the drive with deep camber like TVNZ. Then there is the whole way the crew are positioned (see Magnus comments). Its all too late and they will be going home early,  like Bermuda. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Obviously Pete then says he's not had any issues today. Pete tells ben just to sing if they need help. Ben takes him up on the offer and says 'send us the software so they can work out what the problem is'. Pete, just shrugs. Is he a just disingenuous guy? 

You''ve got to realise that Pete talks in the plural third person... 'for ourselves' etc etc...

So what he was really saying to Ben was "mate, if you need a hand just sing. I'll be happy to pop on board and show you how to thrash the shit out of that dog of yours"

47 minutes ago, Indio said:

Three years of blood, sweat and tears has been poured into this and to be honest it looks like a bunch of amateurs who have hired a boat out of Portsmouth for a weekend’s racing with the big boys in Cowes.

Sugar coated.

A little chat with Ben & Shirly - I thought it was kind of telling because he admitted it was team specific, then brought in unrelated issues that have been resolved collectively as "precedent" of teams working together to solve issues. I think his team just binned it and he wants to push for expanding the OD elements to include software control systems to catch up on the development race with contribution from other teams. 

3 minutes ago, Miffy said:

.. I think his team just binned it and he wants to push for expanding the OD elements to include software control systems to catch up on the development race with contribution from other teams. 

You've nailed it! "My sand castle is crap - can you help me build mine?"

2 hours ago, Grrr... said:

He sounds remarkably like Trump, doesn't he?  The best people.  Trust me.

He appears to be desperately trying to stay upbeat it seems. What a tit. I blame him entirely for that shitshow :P.

I had been hoping it was sandbagging but it would appear we are fucked....up the arse.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Indio said:

You really are as moronic as you seem.... what controls the velocity, acceleration and jerk of the foil as it raises? What stops this switch constantly pumping hydraulic oil past the home point? Oh that's it, the simple on off switch does that doesn't it. It knows all about it. When you've designed this sentient switch I'd love to buy a couple of you.

I mean it wouldn't be software with all the endstops and pressure numbers in it. That would be ridiculous. Only an idiot team supplying the equipment would come up with that idea.

1 hour ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Get a grip man. This has all been over before. 

"• The foil arm and the foil cant system are one-design supplied parts. The cant system, in particular, is a unique and complex piece of software-controlled electro-mechanical engineering which alone took six months to develop and test"
"there is a bit of oscillation still seen, but through the logic program and trimming of the hydraulic system we can alleviate that bounce"

This is all lies. Never happened. The switch knows what it's doing. Ben just needs a better switch. 

• Like 2

The british campaign is  an enormous fuck up. Better pack and go,  avoiding further humiliation,
Modern engineering and management is not a british thing.
Seriously.

Just now, The Main Man said:

And most of the F1 teams are just an aberration, right?

There is no second, or third or last.
Sliced and diced from day 1.

7 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

It was a fresh system INEOS put on for the day, supplied by ETNZ that day. Given a brand new unit didn't make it to a second race, then, well, there is certainly a fault with the kit, or how they are using it, not just maintenance. 

Like your boat chats and your channel reminds me of so many good memories of Chi Harbour.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, The Main Man said:

And most of the F1 teams are just an aberration, right?

Actually, F1 probably isn't the best example as most of them are pan-international.  For me, one of the best examples of British endeavour is the Bloodhound supersonic "car".  A fantastic blend of technology and above all, a genuine team culture a la ETNZ.  A bloody shame that Covid put a stop to things after their successful run in South Africa.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Neverwas said:

Does anyone else wonder why none of the old guard of British match racing are involved? like none? I'm all for the new breed but surely in the back ground you need some experience from a coaching point of view? Giles Scott, great dingy sailor but AC match racing tactician? The Nz boys have sooo much experience in support roles Like Ray Davies as a coach to de brief with after a match.  Who with experience is sat debriefing and coaching Ben and Giles on these races?  Now im not in the know so maybe they do have someone? do they?   But I dont see Adrian Stead or the likes on the Ineos website or any ex racing tactics / helmsman? that might talk through options in a pre start? Am I wrong?  Is Sid there?

Sid never even got a call after the Olympics.  No Sid, there would have been no gold medals.  Make your own judgement on that.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, serialsailor said:

Oooof

So basically, @Indio is talking out of his arse when he says ETNZ aren't supplying the software and updates.

Doesn't matter how many update meetings they have if TNZ aren't giving the challengers what they want... the software code. 

Ball is still in ETNZ court. Pete asked what Ben needed, Ben said the software code.

2 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

PLC's are extremely reliable. If you want to move a big arse hydraulic ram on a factory floor for twenty years, you're probably going to use a PLC.

They are, however, designed to be mounted inside something that moves about as much as a factory does ie not at all. I think being inside a box that is dropped from twenty feet up and nose dived into the water at forty knots is probably outside the design spec.

Also, since it's a PLC, he almost certainly doesn't want to even look at the software.

Personally I'd point a GoPro at it so I can show the race director the bit where we pressed the button and it didn't move.

13 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

So basically, @Indio is talking out of his arse when he says ETNZ aren't supplying the software and updates.

Doesn't matter how many update meetings they have if TNZ aren't giving the challengers what they want... the software code. 

Ball is still in ETNZ court. Pete asked what Ben needed, Ben said the software code.

Ben is the only one asking no?

47 minutes ago, GeeJay said:

Actually, F1 probably isn't the best example as most of them are pan-international.  For me, one of the best examples of British endeavour is the Bloodhound supersonic "car".  A fantastic blend of technology and above all, a genuine team culture a la ETNZ.  A bloody shame that Covid put a stop to things after their successful run in South Africa.

Oh....there they go again. Quick in a straight line. :-)

• Like 2

Is that as effective as the one about the race courses, the still missing millions, the late payments? 
let me guess all just shit  stirring trying to throw plucky grant off his game. 
no smoke without fire.. 

That also looks like the team are letting Pete hang out for daring to suggest they might help as after that they definitely won’t be handing anything over. Naughty Peter! 

36 minutes ago, RantyDave said:

PLC's are extremely reliable. If you want to move a big arse hydraulic ram on a factory floor for twenty years, you're probably going to use a PLC.

They are, however, designed to be mounted inside something that moves about as much as a factory does ie not at all. I think being inside a box that is dropped from twenty feet up and nose dived into the water at forty knots is probably outside the design spec.

Also, since it's a PLC, he almost certainly doesn't want to even look at the software.

Personally I'd point a GoPro at it so I can show the race director the bit where we pressed the button and it didn't move.

There are plenty of ways to make a PLC ruggedised for this sort of environment though.

So someone at Ineos fucked up and sat on the software update for 5 days and only installed it a couple of hours before the first race? It's no wonder the AM guys were having a good laugh about it all last night

ETNZ designed the system, so have a good grasp of how to make it work

AM have Airbus and Parker Hannifin - these guys know how to make complex Electro/hydraulic systems work

LRP have access to Persico and Cariboni - these guys know how to make complex canting systems work

Ineos - who have they got? F1 gurus don't do canting or heavy electro/hydraulic stuff

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Chapter Four said:

ETNZ designed the system, so have a good grasp of how to make it work

Let’s all hope that they, owners of the IP as Ben said yesterday, do not also have unique access to the source code. That would be (ahem...) cheating. 

12 hours ago, Indio said:

I'm really happy for Hutch as I understand he was the driving force behind pulling together the major sponsors to convince NYYC to challenge. Good to see a nice guy getting some reward..

I wonder what the wind will be like out in the course today. Seems a bit windier we’re than yesterday. Could suit Team GB more than yesterday 

12 minutes ago, mako23 said:

I wonder what the wind will be like out in the course today. Seems a bit windier we’re than yesterday. Could suit Team GB more than yesterday 

Based on yesterday's performance, it could be that only a tornado will help them break 50 knots.

I don't think we're on the Waitemata any more Toto.

23 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Not so sure it will be doing the Frackers any favours today out on the sparkling Waitemata forecast Northeast 15 easing to 10 in the afternoon and boy it's warm.

What's the point in tracking fast if you can't turn or get it up.

I thought the Whomper was a sail not foils.

MZDS6QCXF6BVCSE2UHOGEBUVYM.thumb.jpg.186cf0358a00568e13a61fc2edb0adf8.jpg

After watching the presser just now - the software-update-gate might be due to them swapping out the control board for a spare as Ben mentioned. Maybe the spare did not have the update applied to it ahead of time, and they didn't realize that until they were out on the water. I mean, that doesn't give much credit to the team in charge of that, but it's certainly in the "the easiest explanation" category. 

but man... Ben's attacks on the FCS and receiving redress for the FCS because it's out of their hands were very unprofessional. The exchange between Ben and Pete about ETNZ being open about anything if they asked for was just odd.

Ben saying he didn't know if they would be able to sail today, cause they didn't know if they could fix their boat overnight... I mean come on... pull it together.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Not so sure it will be doing the Frackers any favours today out on the sparkling Waitemata forecast Northeast 15 easing to 10 in the afternoon and boy it's warm.

What's the point in tracking fast if you can't turn or get it up.

I thought the Whomper was a sail not foils.

MZDS6QCXF6BVCSE2UHOGEBUVYM.thumb.jpg.186cf0358a00568e13a61fc2edb0adf8.jpg

The frackers are like an impotent man........they can’t get it up 

• Downvote 1

Yesterday Ben said they received the software update that afternoon. ETNZ said the software update was sent the previous Friday. Someone is telling bullshit, but who. Maybe the Italians and AM can enlighten us about when they received their update. 

3 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Yesterday Ben said they received the software update that afternoon. ETNZ said the software update was sent the previous Friday. Someone is telling bullshit, but who. Maybe the Italians and AM can enlighten us about when they received their update. 

ETNZ was unequivocal in its written statement (in response to BA's comment) that all the teams got the latest update last Friday.  I'm assuming someone checked before letting that statement to go press -- to make such a strong written statement (and basically call BA a liar) without checking would be galactically stupid (and they aren't stupid) because a written statement is always easier to confirm.

I'm guessing Ben was angry and frustrated, and as such shot from the hip such that his comment didn't tell the whole story.  

9 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Yes - but think about it from the perspective of having to replace the controller at the dock and then go sailing.

Ben: "somethings off... get the FCS guy on board to the check the controller"
shore crew: "oh hey.. would you look at that, we didn't update the spare controllers firmware..."
Ben: "what the hell do I pay you for!?"
shore crew: "we'll download the update and install it on the water.."

later at the presser "we received the updates as late as mid day". Not everything has to have a complicated or vindictive reason for happening.