• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

shes legit ... foil arm looks to be in the front end of the box ... opposite of all other teams ... what are we going to read into that?

ETNZ are probably favorites .....but win or lose....Team New Zealand have firmly established themselves as the all time great AC nation in the modern era.   From the time they first emerged, they have

Slowly working through yesterday's lot

Posted Images

Yesterday Ben said they received the software update that afternoon. ETNZ said the software update was sent the previous Friday. Someone is telling bullshit, but who. Maybe the Italians and AM can enlighten us about when they received their update. 

3 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Yesterday Ben said they received the software update that afternoon. ETNZ said the software update was sent the previous Friday. Someone is telling bullshit, but who. Maybe the Italians and AM can enlighten us about when they received their update. 

ETNZ was unequivocal in its written statement (in response to BA's comment) that all the teams got the latest update last Friday.  I'm assuming someone checked before letting that statement to go press -- to make such a strong written statement (and basically call BA a liar) without checking would be galactically stupid (and they aren't stupid) because a written statement is always easier to confirm.

I'm guessing Ben was angry and frustrated, and as such shot from the hip such that his comment didn't tell the whole story.  

9 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Yes - but think about it from the perspective of having to replace the controller at the dock and then go sailing.

Ben: "somethings off... get the FCS guy on board to the check the controller"
shore crew: "oh hey.. would you look at that, we didn't update the spare controllers firmware..."
Ben: "what the hell do I pay you for!?"
shore crew: "we'll download the update and install it on the water.."

later at the presser "we received the updates as late as mid day". Not everything has to have a complicated or vindictive reason for happening.

16 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Ben said they installed the update yesterday. 

Maybe they by mistake installed V7.1.013?  

Sometimes it will not update unless you are plugged into the shore power even if you approve the update......

• Like 2

they have got to fix that can't system.  This is ridiculous to have spent so much time and money on a program and have a mickey mouse system.  Am says they have 2-3 guys and a couple engineer that work full time trying to keep it running  During the races you could hear it whining like a constipated moose.

1 hour ago, atwinda said:

After watching the presser just now - the software-update-gate might be due to them swapping out the control board for a spare as Ben mentioned. Maybe the spare did not have the update applied to it ahead of time, and they didn't realize that until they were out on the water. I mean, that doesn't give much credit to the team in charge of that, but it's certainly in the "the easiest explanation" category. 

but man... Ben's attacks on the FCS and receiving redress for the FCS because it's out of their hands were very unprofessional. The exchange between Ben and Pete about ETNZ being open about anything if they asked for was just odd.

Ben saying he didn't know if they would be able to sail today, cause they didn't know if they could fix their boat overnight... I mean come on... pull it together.

Look I want Ineos to do well. But Ben is just being a jerk, his whole performance yesterday was embarrassing. Trying to blame ETNZ was just pathetic. It looks like his crew didn’t update the spare control board to the correct version. It’s not a good look, it’s seems obvious to me that he doesn’t have the management skills. Trying to sail and manage is too much for anyone. I think he should hand over control to someone who knows how to manage. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Look I want Ineos to do well. But Ben is just being a jerk, his whole performance yesterday was embarrassing. Trying to blame ETNZ was just pathetic. It looks like his crew didn’t update the spare control board to the correct version. It’s not a good look, it’s seems obvious to me that he doesn’t have the management skills. Trying to sail and manage is too much for anyone. I think he should hand over control to someone who knows how to manage. 

He lacks the temperament  and grace to lead this sort of team.

He needs to shut the fuck up and just drive the boat.

Fundamentally BA is a small boat Olympian who broke thru the ranks into crewed events for his on the water noggin and a cult of personality in Britain for anyone who has success. It is the same mindset re Adrian Newey or Mercedes or Airbus going to parachute into Americas Cup and suddenly find gains in nautical engineering and systems integration “dumb nautical guys” haven’t figured out. 

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Come on.  You invest so much effort into the everything and you have a fckg mechanical problem from a supplied equipment that you have no power to fix.  I would have much less control over my response than Ben did.  NZ is in control of the software and mechanical working of those part.  I bet every team would love to take over that part and be in charge of it.

33 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Come on.  You invest so much effort into the everything and you have a fckg mechanical problem from a supplied equipment that you have no power to fix.  I would have much less control over my response than Ben did.  NZ is in control of the software and mechanical working of those part.  I bet every team would love to take over that part and be in charge of it.

My dig at Ben is not just what happened yesterday. All indications are showing that Ineos are slow. There last race against the kiwis had no mechanical issues but they still got a spanking. With all their money they should be doing better. They did poorly in the last cup as well. There’s a common denominator on  going here and it’s Ben. I really want Ineos to do well, and I hope they win the Prada cup. There chances of betting AM at the moment very poor

1 minute ago, Indio said:

Good to see Team Brexitannia complete two races without any issues. Now for some serious decisions for team management to make...

I don’t think they have any time to make leadership changes. They have less than one month to make boat - whether hardware or software and technique improvements. There’s not even enough time for ppl to do thru quarantine and do work 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Oh ok so he was lying wrapped in “ subtle humour”  

Really...

Compared to your hero who was wrapped in overt bullshit, and overt dissemination. Pretty fucking quiet suh bin after his wee tantrum yesterday.

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

I don’t think they have any time to make leadership changes. They have less than one month to make boat - whether hardware or software and technique improvements. There’s not even enough time for ppl to do thru quarantine and do work 

Maybe hire someone within the organisation 

7 minutes ago, mako23 said:

I remember when oracle were losing badly to ETNZ in the AC72 boats, yet there never die attitude held the day. 

They weren't losing by that sort of margin. Unless they are sandbagging you can stick a fork in them, they're done.

5 minutes ago, jaysper said:

They weren't losing by that sort of margin. Unless they are sandbagging you can stick a fork in them, they're done.

Yep,

While watching the post race interview with Ben, that's what I thought.  The moment he realised he was fucked.

6 minutes ago, astro said:

Yep,

While watching the post race interview with Ben, that's what I thought.  The moment he realised he was fucked.

Even though Ben does come across as a total dick, it is still a shame.

Especially for the rest of the team and the fact that he has seemingly wasted about a quarter billion pounds on two utterly uncompetitive challenges.

Compare that with Artemis who were actually pretty good 2nd time around.

1 minute ago, jaysper said:

Especially for the rest of the team and the fact that he has seemingly wasted about a quarter billion pounds on two utterly uncompetitive challenges.

The frackers must have produced plenty of environmental damage to pay for that.

5 hours ago, atwinda said:

Yes - but think about it from the perspective of having to replace the controller at the dock and then go sailing.

Ben: "somethings off... get the FCS guy on board to the check the controller"
shore crew: "oh hey.. would you look at that, we didn't update the spare controllers firmware..."
Ben: "what the hell do I pay you for!?"
shore crew: "we'll download the update and install it on the water.."

later at the presser "we received the updates as late as mid day". Not everything has to have a complicated or vindictive reason for happening.

Except he made it sound like TNZ had sent the updates late...

6 minutes ago, mako23 said:

As in he can’t win or is about to be fired.  Or both 

Hadn't considered that he could be fired.  The sponsorship is about Ineos supporting a knight of the realm, not a bid for the cup.

I suspect it is too late to change now, and succeed.

Much better effort from ITUK today, but Rita2 is well off the pace.

Manoeuvres are especially costly. Hope they have a fast set of foils in the wings, 'cause they're gonna need 'em.

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 8.16.49 PM.png

56 minutes ago, astro said:

Hadn't considered that he could be fired.  The sponsorship is about Ineos supporting a knight of the realm, not a bid for the cup.

I suspect it is too late to change now, and succeed.

But he did own his Shit today..bit of improvement

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Status quo said:

<Snip> I would start by sorting out the main control. Oh and maybe changing Ben and Giles for Nathan and Ian 

>> 3.5 Antipodean helmzmen / 4 total

vs   1 Antipodean bote / 4 total

Hmmm . . . 

11 hours ago, GBH said:

Sid never even got a call after the Olympics.  No Sid, there would have been no gold medals.  Make your own judgement on that.

So there is no person in that team at all that can say hey Ben you fucked this up lets work on xxxxxx. dictatorships are not how team sports are successful .

2 hours ago, barfy said:

Really...

Compared to your hero who was wrapped in overt bullshit, and overt dissemination. Pretty fucking quiet suh bin after his wee tantrum yesterday.

Either Pete was being genuine with his offer of help or he wasn’t, Blakey up the page said he wasn’t. 

in my opinion he looked and sounded honest in his response to Ben

apparently not. 

I didn’t think he was that kinda bloke, that’s my fault for seeing people good nature. 

Yesterday there was plenty of stuff wrong, pretty obvious. This was stuff that needs sorting within the team, but is not insurmountable. 

The FCS was obviously an issue before racing, and in the second race. And may have indirectly led to some other issues. 

If I am skipper, in the press conference, after a confidence knocking day, I am not going to talk about our issues, I am not going to throw my team under the bus and list off our issues when the crew is still smarting. 

I would go full siege mentality, us against the world. And anything external I can complain about, I will. 

Regardless of what the kiwi sycophants say in here the FCS has been an issue for over a year and it's been well documented. ETNZ are supplying the FCS including software, which by everyone's account is not a simple system. And they deserve needling about it.  The fact is, ETNZ note gives 'facts' but misses the point. You can have as many update meeting as you want, but if you don't give the team what they need to fix the problem, then it's worthless posturing. Same as Pete, he offered help, Ben took him up on it, and now his team are publicly reneging on the offer. If Ben is creating division in ETNZ, if Ben is having ETNZ answer questions, then frankly, he's winning the mind games.

Back at base, INEOS do have things they need to address. They obviously need to manage the FCS better. Other teams are. Plus the roles, and the crew aero (what the hell are those little winglets?). But, if they can create a siege mentality where they are fuelled by the unfair kiwi's stacking the game against them, then all the better. What Ben needs to be careful of, is his public comments don't lead to defeatism in the team. You can't have team members saying 'kiwi's won't give us the code so we can never win, no point trying'. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Yesterday there was plenty of stuff wrong, pretty obvious. This was stuff that needs sorting within the team, but is not insurmountable. 

The FCS was obviously an issue before racing, and in the second race. And may have indirectly led to some other issues. 

If I am skipper, in the press conference, after a confidence knocking day, I am not going to talk about our issues, I am not going to throw my team under the bus and list off our issues when the crew is still smarting. 

I would go full siege mentality, us against the world. And anything external I can complain about, I will. 

Regardless of what the kiwi sycophants say in here the FCS has been an issue for over a year and it's been well documented. ETNZ are supplying the FCS including software, which by everyone's account is not a simple system. And they deserve needling about it.  The fact is, ETNZ note gives 'facts' but misses the point. You can have as many update meeting as you want, but if you don't give the team what they need to fix the problem, then it's worthless posturing. Same as Pete, he offered help, Ben took him up on it, and now his team are publicly reneging on the offer. If Ben is creating division in ETNZ, if Ben is having ETNZ answer questions, then frankly, he's winning the mind games.

Back at base, INEOS do have things they need to address. They obviously need to manage the FCS better. Other teams are. Plus the roles, and the crew aero (what the hell are those little winglets?). But, if they can create a siege mentality where they are fuelled by the unfair kiwi's stacking the game against them, then all the better. What Ben needs to be careful of, is his public comments don't lead to defeatism in the team. You can't have team members saying 'kiwi's won't give us the code so we can never win, no point trying'. 

24 hours have moved on since that issue. Today Ineos with working swing arm were destroyed by ETNZ. 

Just now, mako23 said:

24 hours have moved on since that issue. Today Ineos with working swing arm were destroyed by ETNZ. 

Yup and what was a handsome in size gifted winning margin off the start line was scoffed up in one leg crikey Mozzy it’s a clusterfuck pure and simple.

9 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

HTFU ya whiny biatch!!

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

Either Pete was being genuine with his offer of help or he wasn’t, Blakey up the page said he wasn’t. 

in my opinion he looked and sounded honest in his response to Ben

apparently not. 

I didn’t think he was that kinda bloke, that’s my fault for seeing people good nature. 

You see what you want to. Burling was being sarcastic in response to Sir Ben's whinge.

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

Either Pete was being genuine with his offer of help or he wasn’t <snipt remyaning BS> 

An offer ov help, however sinseer, is never unkwollifyd or unkondishonnal.

"I am heer for yoo, mayt, after yor broken marridj and everything"

"OK then, giv me yor wyf"

Ben was quite well behaved today. Jimmy just takes control of the platform and says it straight "The Challengers have a lot of work to do, New Zealand are a lot faster.!" Sounds like the Race Committee have a lot of work to do. The Shore Teams have stupid amounts of work to do.! Was good to hear the well know Italian Voice from the duo who give us those fantastic insights into the boats, sometimes in English too if we are lucky. There's something for everyone in this presser..!

Gangs all here today, fuck about you boys are dull.

didnt you get the memo that the races don’t count ;-) that was the mantra after yesterday when AM went top of the leader board. 

on timings yesterday Prada got fucked  by over three mins by the kiwis with fully working boats 

INEOS  lost by 5mins to AM and then retired in the second 

today INEOS  with a working FCS  the loss was 1.30 and 1.42 to TNZ 

my question is wtf was is up with Prada? 

By my count Ineos has used it allocation of wings. The B1 boat had the big bulb wing, then B2 had the seagull wing and then these straight wings. Unless they just straightened out the seagull wing. I hope for Ineos sake that they have at least one new set of wings that they can use. I reckon their wings are a major problem. Compared to the rest they seem very low aspect. The Kiwi seem to have the highest aspect wings. Maybe with a new set they can sort out some of the performance problem. 

2 minutes ago, mako23 said:

The B1 boat had the big bulb wing

I've been kind of assuming the 'too late to copy' plan is to do a big fat trim-down on those.

The 'new part' pie warmers appeared to be absent today.

The gul wings are their faster foils. 

They won two starts today. They're not beating ETNZ, but the delta's suggest with good starts they can be giving other challengers a race. 

Boat speed is a good nudge off, but the main issue is maneuvers. However, they've done the least racing after the FCS shat itself yesterday and in the practice event. 

Just heard that the Arbitration Panel have ruled in favour of Team Brexitannia's urgent application for relief.

1: In Race 10, LR is to give Brexitannia a 500-metre head start.

2: In Race 11, AM is to give Brexitannia a 900-metre head start

3: In Race 12, ETNZ is to allow Brexitannia to round the first mark before they can cross the start line.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Indio said:

When you have a problem, does Microsoft provide you source code for Excel, or Word?? Does Google provide you source code when your Android smart phone refuses to work?

Thought so..

Google/Android was a bad example, it is free software and you do have all the source code:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

2 minutes ago, Indio said:

Just heard that the Arbitration Panel have ruled in favour of Team Brexitannia's urgent application for relief.

1: In Race 10, LR is to give Brexitannia a 500-metre head start.

2: In Race 11, AM is to give Brexitannia a 900-metre head start

3: In Race 12, ETNZ is to allow Brexitannia to round the first mark before they can cross the start line.

That's better, some actual humour! I thought for a moment with your meme's and acronym laden  'whiny pom' forumulated replies you'd lost independent thought.

Insert text book kiwi diss here... "aren't you just part of britain anyway? A win for NZ is a win for the commonwealth! and where abouts in Australia is New Zealand anyway?" blah blah blah

22 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

The gul wings are their faster foils. 

They won two starts today. They're not beating ETNZ, but the delta's suggest with good starts they can be giving other challengers a race. 

Boat speed is a good nudge off, but the main issue is maneuvers. However, they've done the least racing after the FCS shat itself yesterday and in the practice event. 

Are you insinuating that Ineos are sandbagging ??

35 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Gangs all here today, fuck about you boys are dull.

didnt you get the memo that the races don’t count ;-) that was the mantra after yesterday when AM went top of the leader board. 

on timings yesterday Prada got fucked  by over three mins by the kiwis with fully working boats 

INEOS  lost by 5mins to AM and then retired in the second 

today INEOS  with a working FCS  the loss was 1.30 and 1.42 to TNZ 

my question is wtf was is up with Prada? 

Maybe TNZ backed off once they had a minute up on INEOS whilst on the first day against Prada the heat of the moment let them get carried away. We should find out more when Prada and INEOS line up.

2 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Are you insinuating that Ineos are sandbagging ??

No, I think their current foils are their best option right now and unless they can sort some other stuff out I doubt we'll see the others again. But, the other foils may afford them some growing room in performance below the waterline. 

Maybe but we will never know. 

you can only look at what the watch says at the end of the day. 1second or 10 mins, it’s still a loss. What’s undeniable is the FCS was an issue yesterday and today it wasn’t hence getting as close as they did. 

the only team that’s lost to NZ by less is AM, coincidentally they are also the only team to beat them 

that one team is not undefeated indicates that everyone is trying 

27 minutes ago, ed__miller said:

Interesting.. Hasn’t Jim also recently bought an old Merc factory in France for the Grenadier? 

Yup. Old as in just had a massive refit at mercs expense and about as cutting edge as it gets for 4x4 production, very good move vs the start up in Wales option 

15 minutes ago, Miffy said:

He is looking to buy winners. Lewis Hamilton now has to plug Ineos while doing his vegan environment human rights thing. lol

Do keep up 

he had a 20% share all year and has just increased it.

I was Hoping that someone is going to be along to say that Jim had now taken his eye off the ball for the AC and was only interested in F1 Purely as a result of the first couple of practice races, still time though ; -) 

How the poor bloke has time for two French top League football teams, A pretty good cycling team, a hotel chain an AC team and a third share in the most successful Formula One team in recent history not to mention his little known start up chemical company I will never know.. 

Watching the race videos of todays races was interesting, Yes the boat is still off the pace but from the videos i have seen its the best i have seen the boat sailing, it largely looked stable and they didn't seem to be fighting it as much as they were the day before. Even the commentators commented thats its the best they have seen the boat sailing and the tacks looked smoother and more precise. 

Can they make up the deficit before the Prada cup? Unlikely but they could still make considerable gains and at least close the gap enough to capitalise if a competitor makes a mistake. Is it disappointing to see them so far off the pace? Of course it is.

Is this the time to make big management changes and sling blame round? In my opinion no, that time will come later once the cup is over, right now they need to concentrate on maximising the team and equipment they have at their disposal.  

12 hours ago, mako23 said:

No ya dont. Pull the other one.

29 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I hope you’re being paid for the public affairs work. Otherwise it is just sad boot licking. 

In the interests of keeping this civil

what have I said above that you find especially offensive  or factually wrong 

13 hours ago, mako23 said:

My dig at Ben is not just what happened yesterday. All indications are showing that Ineos are slow. There last race against the kiwis had no mechanical issues but they still got a spanking. With all their money they should be doing better. They did poorly in the last cup as well. There’s a common denominator on  going here and it’s Ben. I really want Ineos to do well, and I hope they win the Prada cup. There chances of betting AM at the moment very poor

It is just like everything in life.  Just because you excel at doing a task, doesn't mean you will excel at leading the organization to do that task.

• Like 1

Enough of the "They have to be happy just getting around the course" and they have to be relieved that "they've got a boat" FFS. If they were Stars + Stripes, that kind of stuff would be expected, but INEOS should be kicking everybody's ass. They sure as hell should be all over AM thats for sure.

Instead, they're acting like some kind of charity case! That team is a second generation team. They've got the biggest, or at least one of the biggest budgets in this cycle, they have a team of professional and experienced guys, but they've built one Dog, and so far the second one isn't much better!  

Sure, its early days, but they seem to have trouble just getting to the start line, and when they do, they get spanked! Lets hope they can make themselves look half decent, because they haven't done that yet.

• Downvote 1
3 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Enough of the "They have to be happy just getting around the course" and they have to be relieved that "they've got a boat" FFS. If they were Stars + Stripes, that kind of stuff would be expected, but INEOS should be kicking everybody's ass. They sure as hell should be all over AM thats for sure.

Instead, they're acting like some kind of charity case! That team is a second generation team. They've got the biggest, or at least one of the biggest budgets in this cycle, they have a team of professional and experienced guys, but they've built one Dog, and so far the second one isn't much better!  

Sure, its early days, but they seem to have trouble just getting to the start line, and when they do, they get spanked! Lets hope they can make themselves look half decent, because they haven't done that yet.

Yeah, they did polish that turd a tad too much.

To my eye, the British boat isn't symmetrical. On the port side they have 3 dedicated grinders and 1 guy manning some sort of control system during foil operation who resumes grinding. On the starboard they have 2 dedicated grinders and 1 guy manning the control system during foil operation who grinds after foil deployment.

17 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Either all the teams are using the same shit, and 3 have mostly figured it out while 1 continues to struggle, or they aren't all using the same shit.

So which is it?  Does Britain suck, or just not cheat as well?

You've only got 2 options.

Myself, I think the most likely issue is that the OTHER parts of the British boat simply can't make up for whatever perceived shortcomings the cant system has.  In other words, I think the other 3 boats have got their shit sorted out better, and the fault really lies with the Brits.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Either all the teams are using the same shit, and 3 have mostly figured it out while 1 continues to struggle, or they aren't all using the same shit.

So which is it?  Does Britain suck, or just not cheat as well?

You've only got 2 options.

Myself, I think the most likely issue is that the OTHER parts of the British boat simply can't make up for whatever perceived shortcomings the cant system has.  In other words, I think the other 3 boats have got their shit sorted out better, and the fault really lies with the Brits.

All of the boats are having problems.  It just depends upon how much preventative maintenance you are doing (AM clams to have several guys only working not the can't to keep it working) or the gremlin randomly strikes.  AM says they pushed the button to raise the foil, but the can't system didn't raise the foil in the are against LR.  they had to push the button on the other side to get it to work. (system says the button was pushed).

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
7 hours ago, dullers said:

No ya dont. Pull the other one.

I can understand why your saying this,  my motivation is not to mock them, but rather genuine anger. For twenty years I’ve been supporting  British teams only for them to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory. It’s been a long time since 1965, I’m getting tired of excuses. For the rest of my life I’ve lived In New Zealand which was were i was born. Being a kiwi supporter is a lot easier. Victories come more often and it’s such a smaller population. I’m getting really tired of excuses for British poor performance. I’d like to see victories not just participating. We need someone like Alex Ferguson running our teams. A take no bullshit and only winning matters attitude. 

if it came to Etnz vs Indeo final I’ll support Indeo. The Brits need something to cheer about. With COVID and Brexit happening things are not Brilliant. 

4 minutes ago, mako23 said:

I can understand why your saying this,  my motivation is not to mock them, but rather genuine anger. For twenty years I’ve been supporting  British teams only for them to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory. It’s been a long time since 1965, I’m getting tired of excuses. For the rest of my life I’ve lived In New Zealand which was were i was born. Being a kiwi supporter is a lot easier. Victories come more often and it’s such a smaller population. I’m getting really tired of excuses for British poor performance. I’d like to see victories not just participating. We need someone like Alex Ferguson running our teams. A take no bullshit and only winning matters attitude. 

if it came to Etnz vs Indeo final I’ll support Indeo. The Brits need something to cheer about. With COVID and Brexit happening things are not Brilliant. 

We have had plenty of success in sport.   Really good Olympics including being the only Olympic team to improve their medal count after a home Olympics. Exeter are European champions, We have a good cricket team and rugby team(You remember the cricket final.) This is a minor sail boat race.   Most of New Zealand and about 10 people in the UK follow sailing.  Unfortunately most of my country follow that shyster game called soccer. You sound like a Kiwi dissing the UK still. What happened in 1965?