• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

shes legit ... foil arm looks to be in the front end of the box ... opposite of all other teams ... what are we going to read into that?

ETNZ are probably favorites .....but win or lose....Team New Zealand have firmly established themselves as the all time great AC nation in the modern era.   From the time they first emerged, they have

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

How INEOS found their turbo...

Great video, what are the chances of the boom being articulating like the old one, but just not using the articulation? Or could this "new" boom even be the old one modified for the new outhaul? Lets hope they can find a few more rattle cans to increase the speed more :lol::lol:

14 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Great video, what are the chances of the boom being articulating like the old one, but just not using the articulation? Or could this "new" boom even be the old one modified for the new outhaul? Lets hope they can find a few more rattle cans to increase the speed more :lol::lol:

I agree, I suspect that Bleddyn has just changed the way in which he trims the main and getting things flatter sooner. I am not sure about whether the two instances he is using in the video are directly representative of each other, were the wind speeds similar/the same?

Either way, an impressive day on the water for INEOS.

9 minutes ago, Purple Headed Warrior said:

I agree, I suspect that Bleddyn has just changed the way in which he trims the main and getting things flatter sooner. I am not sure about whether the two instances he is using in the video are directly representative of each other, were the wind speeds similar/the same?

Either way, an impressive day on the water for INEOS.

I think they were similar. ACWS first day was the breezier of the two, maybe 1 or 2 knots less than we see in the Prada Cup tack, but not out of this world different. 

26 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

I've been told by a fairly reliable sources it's new boom, but it could just be they have locked of a joint in the old boom, but then the boom end looks different too, so I'm fairly sure it's a new boom.

I think the old boom they were trying to have heir cake and eat it. I.e. getting the simplified control and loading of a boom, but also the depth low down of the boom less set up. Whereas AM kept things simpler. INEOS have now gone back to a simpler boom, which is just easier to tack and gybe. 

I'm on the fence about booms. One side likes how deep ETNZ and LR can get their mains right down to the deck endplate. But particularly ETNZ look like their is a lot of complexity to achieve this, and it doesn't always look a great shape down there with plenty of creases. AM and INEOS do have the 'lump' of the boom, but it's right on the deck, and you only have to cast your eye about a foot or two above it and the sail has already fallen in to a nice shape.  

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Is there a link to the protest anywhere?

I would like this to, because I can't see what the outhaul falls foul of unless its slightly in the wrong position

20.29 In mast/mainsail measurement condition, when projected on to the mast centre plane, every part of the mainsail except for woollies shall lie: (a) inside a sail skin; (b) within 15 mm of a leech; (c) within 15 mm of a luff; (d) within 100 mm of a head; or (e) within 100 mm of a foot.

Anyone else?

39 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

I would like this to, because I can't see what the outhaul falls foul of unless its slightly in the wrong position

Anyone else?

quick guess is this

image.png.0356237eef212eef2948cf087aa5179e.png

but the definition of sail hardware may exempt it?

image.png.2355f1fcc713d85cca4676f10e864ceb.png

18.1 is easy to overcome, with a small slit from the opening to the foot of the sail.

the opening suddenly becomes the perimeter edge of the sail and compliant.

Either way it passed measurement so hey ho,  chin up eh Max ;-) 

2 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

18.1 is easy to overcome, with a small slit from the opening to the foot of the sail.

the opening suddenly becomes the perimeter edge of the sail and compliant.

Either way it passed measurement so hey ho,  chin up eh Max ;-) 

true

15 minutes ago, buckdouger said:

quick guess is this

image.png.0356237eef212eef2948cf087aa5179e.png

but the definition of sail hardware may exempt it?

image.png.2355f1fcc713d85cca4676f10e864ceb.png

18.1 can be interpreted as "Intentional openings through sail skins as required for sail hardware are permitted."

Don't see why the decision went against them?

Wow! Woke up at 2am to get my 1yo back to sleep, loaded up YouTube stream to have a quick glance... Holy shit! I stayed up until end of the race with LR 

What a turnaround! I do share the opinion that INEOS has not necessarily overtaken the other 2 challengers in pure speed, but they've beaten them in sailing today! 

Still early days, still light wind days ahead, but it has been great to see such a strong comeback!

The foils look as if they shrink-wrapped black foil over the foils! I can no longer see access panels, screws or hinges - maybe it's just a black camouflage effect. Would love to come across some high res images 

FB_IMG_1610725193182-01.jpeg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, dullers said:

I think you make a good point. We did not expect this so maybe in the light airs we will be surprised as well. Well as a Brit I am hoping that will be the case.  It is interesting that INEOS had the smaller jib in the first race and I think the second. Does that bode well for light airs?

My concern with the really light stuff is Rita hasn't had time to benefit from a proper "J.Craig(TM)" regime.... by any stretch of the imagination she will always be Buffy...  I don't see the hull shape doing them any favors in the real light stuff... Foils.... there is a major difference between applying pressure bandages to lessen the loss of blood & major plastic surgery..... 12 days wasn't a lot of time .... I hope I'm wrong however..... they did good yesterday....

Affirmative on the small jib in both races be interesting to see the selection, not sure I want to endure another OMFG what time is it? to watch it live... Like a damned Lions tour in this house...... Up early & power naps during the day LOL

• Like 1

Yeah the time is a pisser. At the moment I am just looking in the morning, but if we get through from Prada to AC my work life is going to be screwed, because I'll have to set a 3am alarm. Probably also means the spare room as well as I don't think my wife would be keen

5 hours ago, Raptorsailor said:

Great start for UK, woot. Although I will say, in the opening drag race of AM vs INEOS, the Americans had a slight speed edge before the first tack. And I don't think Rita had a real speed edge over Prada, definitely a tactics race. But I will say, they seem to be sailing closer to the wind than the competition.

Go Ineos!

Watch it on virtual eye up to first tack after start. Look at the speed and vmg. I think INOES is faster according to the figures.

2 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

I think they were similar. ACWS first day was the breezier of the two, maybe 1 or 2 knots less than we see in the Prada Cup tack, but not out of this world different. 

I've been told by a fairly reliable sources it's new boom, but it could just be they have locked of a joint in the old boom, but then the boom end looks different too, so I'm fairly sure it's a new boom.

I think the old boom they were trying to have heir cake and eat it. I.e. getting the simplified control and loading of a boom, but also the depth low down of the boom less set up. Whereas AM kept things simpler. INEOS have now gone back to a simpler boom, which is just easier to tack and gybe. 

I'm on the fence about booms. One side likes how deep ETNZ and LR can get their mains right down to the deck endplate. But particularly ETNZ look like their is a lot of complexity to achieve this, and it doesn't always look a great shape down there with plenty of creases. AM and INEOS do have the 'lump' of the boom, but it's right on the deck, and you only have to cast your eye about a foot or two above it and the sail has already fallen in to a nice shape.  

My cat denies telling you anything.  So I doubt you have a reliable contact.

6 hours ago, Nutta said:

But whoever in INEOS designed the non-compliance parts either (a) knew it was dodgy - spank 'em, or (b) didn't know rules - laugh at them and spank 'em...

Fairynuff. However penalising them for sailing a boat that passed measurement is unreasonable.

If it were say....a king post that has been covertly packed with lead...then thats a different matter. But this is a feature that an Anarchist can spot with (non-approved) red lines, so it is not like they were trying to hide the feature.

35 minutes ago, Piet56 said:

My concern with the really light stuff is Rita hasn't had time to benefit from a proper "J.Craig(TM)" regime.... by any stretch of the imagination she will always be Buffy...  I don't see the hull shape doing them any favors in the real light stuff... Foils.... there is a major difference between applying pressure bandages to lessen the loss of blood & major plastic surgery..... 12 days wasn't a lot of time .... I hope I'm wrong however..... they did good yesterday....

Affirmative on the small jib in both races be interesting to see the selection, not sure I want to endure another OMFG what time is it? to watch it live... Like a damned Lions tour in this house...... Up early & power naps during the day LOL

Does the smaller jibs bode well for light air racing?

6 hours ago, winchfodder said:

And not as though it was going to change the result of the race. Of course had to be noted but maybe Brad trying his old games of trying to wind up the opposition. 

Billy is just a cunt and best ignored.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Grrr... said:

So if you cheat hard enough to get it by the measurement committee, then it's all peachy?  We're now putting the onus of following the rules completely on the measurement committee?  That's ludicrous.  Breaking the rules is breaking the rules.  Even if it's an accidental breaking of the rules.  You don't tip your cap to them and say "nice one mate" and move on because they snuck something by.

That is completely against every rule of common sense and logic.

Ineos deserved their wins today.  Their outhauler had nothing to do with it.  But rules are rules.  Even if the penalty is meaningless, there should still be a penalty.  Maybe if we called it a herbie folks would suddenly have a different take on it.

If I have taken all care to get a boat (or whatever) into spec, take it to measurement committee and they don't see it either, then the points should stand.

I have ZERO problem with INEOS being made to rectify the problem. But it is unreasonable to deduct the two points as was posited.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Early days very early so let’s leave the premature ejaculation from staining those rose coloured spectacles for at least another week or two shall we.

The obvious weakness of that short upwind start leg put Basher Ben first into the favoured right hand side end of Amway .The Handbags just plain handed the line and the right to the Frackers oh happy days.

Course C takes no prisoners patchy and erratically shifty not a come from behind course unless you are relying on a fluffed tack or gybe.

Good result for the event though which hopefully will peak some interest spectator numbers were not great but hopefully will improve over the weekend.

Let’s see how the Royal barge get’s on tomorrow.

Not really early days prada and american magic have been caught napping.

Very excited how they will respond today.

7 minutes ago, jaysper said:

If I have taken all care to get a boat (or whatever) into spec, take it to measurement committee and they don't see it either, then the points should stand.

I have ZERO problem with INEOS being made to rectify the problem. But it is unreasonable to deduct the two points as was posited.

This. We can see from the wording of the rules that it's a very subtle call, and we can see from the photos it 's not going to make a tangible difference. If the team acted in good faith and it's been signed off by a measurer, it's hard to know what else they could have done.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Ok, I agree with you there.  That line didn't gain them two wins, and the penalty should match the crime.  So make them enter the starting box 30 seconds late.  Or something.  But penalize them.

• Like 1
Just now, Grrr... said:

the penalty should match the crime.

It does.

The crime's a technical error by one or more members of the design team. The penalty is for that team to stay up all night designing and implementing a solution that meets the updated/correct interpretation of the rule.

The illegal configuration had no tangible effect on the boat's performance, but the crew have to race today with a new design/configuration that's not been tested, and has a very tiny but non-zero risk of failing and causing an actual problem.

Seems quite proportionate to me.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Ok, I agree with you there.  That line didn't gain them two wins, and the penalty should match the crime.  So make them enter the starting box 30 seconds late.  Or something.  But penalize them.

F1 approach - penalise them 10s on each of the races so far

Hell be generous, make it 20s

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, dullers said:

Does the smaller jibs bode well for light air racing? 

If a binary Y/N answer required, I would say no...... loads of other factor's in there as well mate, my call would be no

7 hours ago, jaysper said:

I think if LR had tacked for the start about 5 seconds earlier they would have had the favored side and would have probably won.

During the first upwind run, they completely held their ground on the unfavoured side as you said and I really thought they still had a speed edge and would roll them but it just didn't happen.

Makes me wonder if LR does actually still have a slight speed edge but just not enough to counteract great tactics. 

Despite hating these boats, the racing was actually ok-ish to watch.

LR couldn't have tacked any earlier in the prestart because they would have gotten dunked on by Ben. Their one shot in that position was to get the hook, but once they didn't have it and weren't making the pin, it was pretty much game over.

1 minute ago, crashtack said:

LR couldn't have tacked any earlier in the prestart because they would have gotten dunked on by Ben. Their one shot in that position was to get the hook, but once they didn't have it and weren't making the pin, it was pretty much game over.

Maybe a no look?

Might have to go back and watch the race again.

4 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

I honestly think these changes have to at least partly be a result of sandbagging in december. I find it really hard to believe that, despite having over a year's worth of experiences in ac75s, they went from inept backmarkers to faultless terminators in less than a month. It's not like they didn't have data on the other teams before the Christmas cup, either.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, crashtack said:

I honestly think these changes have to at least partly be a result of sandbagging in december. I find it really hard to believe that, despite having over a year's worth of experiences in ac75s, they went from inept backmarkers to faultless terminators in less than a month. It's not like they didn't have data on the other teams before the Christmas cup, either.

Its clear to me that the rig is a big chance of the performance boost.

That went in at xmas time. Were they holding it back or was it only just ready? Dunno.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, crashtack said:

To compound the missed hook the wind went right and so Ineos got the advantage. 

4 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

This is a great video thanks very much. . . And yeah black is clearly a faster colour for the foils. Dunno what they were thinking.  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

I was under the impression that the masts were one design (provided) equipment so why would a new mast make any difference?

No, not supplied. They have specified dimensions and minimum construction specs, but teams are free to make them stiffer in part, or not etc.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

No, not supplied. They have specified dimensions and minimum construction specs, but teams are free to make them stiffer in part, or not etc.

Little doubt Ineos spotted ETNZ's bend early on, modelled it, saw the benefits so comissioned their second specc'd to enable it and were just hanging out to get it and finally step it :-)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Little doubt Ineos spotted ETNZ's bend early on, modelled it, saw the benefits so comissioned their second specc'd to enable it and were just hanging out to get it and finally step it :-)

They may have done. It's quite a sizable step I think, as it's not just the mast then but also the cut of the mainsail, plus the way they get twist happening, and where, etc.

5 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Great video - good on the creator who did something so quickly.

Also can't help but notice their thoughts on simpler boom and main setup echo my earlier thoughts eh @JALhazmat :P

In the screen capture below you can clearly see that they have duct taped some Kindles to the top of the pedestals so the grinders have something to read during the races. Maybe re-reading Arthur Knapp? Do you think they tend more to Le Carre or bodice rippers? Guardian or Telegraph?

Kindle.png

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Grrr... said:

So if you cheat hard enough to get it by the measurement committee, then it's all peachy?  We're now putting the onus of following the rules completely on the measurement committee?  That's ludicrous.  Breaking the rules is breaking the rules.  Even if it's an accidental breaking of the rules.  You don't tip your cap to them and say "nice one mate" and move on because they snuck something by.

That is completely against every rule of common sense and logic.

Ineos deserved their wins today.  Their outhauler had nothing to do with it.  But rules are rules.  Even if the penalty is meaningless, there should still be a penalty.  Maybe if we called it a herbie folks would suddenly have a different take on it.

They presented their boat for measuring and it passed. The fault is with the umpires.

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

Is it a missed hook when the boat you want to hook just accelerates out of the tack faster than you credited them for leaving you grasping at thin air ? 

The Ineos tack was beautifully executed for sure, although it still came damn close to a successful hook. 

But the subsequent lefty for sure made a huge difference. Like JS said from off the boat later, LR went from being early to suddenly being late to the line. 

2 hours ago, crashtack said:

No chance of a hook because of INEOS speed

7 hours ago, dullers said:

It is sport. If the ref dont spot it you are a top sportsman.

The ref didn't see it live, but caught it on the big screen replay... 

2 hours ago, jaysper said:

Fairynuff. However penalising them for sailing a boat that passed measurement is unreasonable.

If it were say....a king post that has been covertly packed with lead...then thats a different matter. But this is a feature that an Anarchist can spot with (non-approved) red lines, so it is not like they were trying to hide the feature.

I think the result of "no penalty, but don't do it again" is actually reasonable. But would like to know why they thought it was ok to design/build. I suspect that it was a quick redesign and someone missed the rule fine print...

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

We did, it was our King who tool over the Union - 1707

Yes by invitation and blood as we were divided along catholic/protestant lines and not nationality lines. You did converse with me in English. I also support Scottish independence as well. It was the most successful union in History.  Did our union boat do well today?

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Nutta said:

The ref didn't see it live, but caught it on the big screen replay... 

Dont they climb all over the boats as well?

2 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

I was under the impression that the masts were one design (provided) equipment so why would a new mast make any difference?

One design section yes but can use different stiffening and reinforcement 

Well the poms have beaten we kiwis in everything else of late where it’s looked unlikely. Cricket WC, Rugby WC, and here we are ...

31 minutes ago, YM74 said:

Well the poms have beaten we kiwis in everything else of late where it’s looked unlikely. Cricket WC, Rugby WC, and here we are ...

You didn’t beat us in the cricket, a rule technicality won it for them. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Also can't help but notice their thoughts on simpler boom and main setup echo my earlier thoughts eh @JALhazmat :P

Unless I have misunderstood it’s Mozzy himself who has done this vid. Agree, very insightful!

3 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Oh really? It’s funny they managed to put it over in a far less snide manner. I wonder how they managed that? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mako23 said:

You didn’t beat us in the cricket, a rule technicality won it for them. 

Dude, they won.

They got the cup, they got the prize money, they got the blow jobs from hookers, they won.

If you want to debate whether they SHOULD have won, then go for it.

But with the rules such as they were, they won.

• Like 3
56 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Oh really? It’s funny they managed to put it over in a far less snide manner. I wonder how they managed that? 

I think you are injecting venom into my words because you attribute it to a position you think I hold, that I don't... :)

I'll openly concede its hard to split us Kiwi mob apart here, and I understand the general energy might be negative, but I think its important to note I haven't disparaged INEOS's performance, or Ben's personality or role as leader, or used derogatory nicknames for the ream, or prophesised (let alone relished) their doom like others... and my comments about their performance were not snide in any way.. the 'fools errand' comment was attributed to the other teams, and these challengers attempts to try and 'juice' their sails...

In fact, I was pretty silent on matters during ACWS for the very reasons Terry H and the rest of the teams were (INEOS are fucking formidable), and what we saw yesterday was proof.

So I ask you consider when I generally write things abouts the teams, to assume I am saying them in good faith. Try reading what I wrote again, and this time pretend it was written by a die-hard INEOS fanboy, I think you'll find a different out-take.

Cheers :D

1 hour ago, The Main Man said:

Unless I have misunderstood it’s Mozzy himself who has done this vid. Agree, very insightful!

Ahh so it is! @Mozzy Sails you are a scholar and a gentleman! Great work! :D

• Like 2
2 hours ago, The Main Man said:

Unless I have misunderstood it’s Mozzy himself who has done this vid.

Was Mozzy on the back of the boats shooting these vids? Or is he reusing existing copyrighted footage?

• Downvote 1
8 hours ago, jaysper said:

C'mon Jaysper.... there is NOTHING reasonable about ANY America's Cup..... Jeez, you will be wanting to give participation medals next.....

There is NO SECOND, only first looser...... & I have a truckload of those medals......

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Was Mozzy on the back of the boats shooting these vids? Or is he reusing existing copyrighted footage?

Been away for a while, in Aus, can someone point me at the videos please?

12 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

The "mast" bend illustration is not describing mast bend, but rather rake. No doubt the mast is bending, but not 1.5 mast widths as pictured. A more accurate measurement would be taken from the aft edge, foot to head, and offset measurements made at 1/8 or 1/4 points. 

I think the thing most analysis is missing at this point, is the balance aspect. They appear to be running more rake, with smaller headsails, effectively moving the COE aft. This would all have to work in conjunction with the COG and whatever insane voodoo physics are at play underwater - which almost certainly have been affected by the foil mods and new rudder/elevator. 

21 minutes ago, mako23 said:

With minimal breeze during the first race with neither boat on their foils, I wonder what’s going through Ineos crew mind at the moment.

Screenshot_20210116-154952_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
Just now, mako23 said:

It’s amazing how that Cheetah changed into a lion 

Everyone's a critic... 8)

7 hours ago, dullers said:

Yes by invitation and blood as we were divided along catholic/protestant lines and not nationality lines. You did converse with me in English. I also support Scottish independence as well. It was the most successful union in History.  Did our union boat do well today?

We are one country but let's not get political on a sailing thread so no comment on a break up with what has worked for centuries (oops was that a comment in itself? ha ha) and still, on the whole works well. As an expat, the impact on me would be relatively small.

English is just a name for a language which is used by way more than any other with so many influences from other languages along the way with only Chinese coming close as well as being the official language of both the sea and the air.

The boys on the "dog" as some called it  - (boy were they wrong on Day 1 of the Prada Cup). Today is a different kettle of fish so fingers crossed.

Would love the One Hundred Pound Cup to be returned to its original home in the Royal Yacht Squadron trophy cabinet only tempered by the growing cooperation between RNZYS and China to help develop sailing here.

https://emirates-team-new-zealand.americascup.com/en/news/499_China-Sports-Industry-Group-becomes-official-partner-of-Emirates-Team-New-Zealand.html

But that issue is still weeks away, we have 2 other teams to beat before then.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mako23 said:

It’s amazing how that Cheetah changed into a lion 

Amazing what you can do with a cheetah and still stay in the 20% rule.

Well whatever the faults are with the British teapot the crew skills to sail her look very good. For discussion...Are the Brits winning more because of sailing skills or more because of boat quality? Day 2 race looked to be a win based more on sailing skills then boat quality imoho.

1 hour ago, shanghaisailor said:

At least have one on board but the wind is so up and down

They have to carry it on deck when not using.   You should know that because you have read the rules.

^^ A combination of both I think.  By all accounts they've made significant changes to the boat, but today was a great example of conditions where guys like Ben and Giles excel over the likes of Jimmy and Dean.  Through no fault of their own the AC veterans have spent the last two decades following the numbers with a few pre-starts thrown in, whereas Ben and Giles' head's-up dinghy experience helps massively on these flukey days IMO.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Occasionally  racist gun toting drinky kiwi.. 

Since the recent firearms laws, the gangs have all the best gear when it comes to guns  and ammo, and plenty of it.

1 hour ago, dullers said:

Well whatever the faults are with the British teapot the crew skills to sail her look very good. For discussion...Are the Brits winning more because of sailing skills or more because of boat quality? Day 2 race looked to be a win based more on sailing skills then boat quality imoho.

Listened to their feed and it was an absolute textbook lesson in these conditions.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, atwinda said:

The "mast" bend illustration is not describing mast bend, but rather rake. No doubt the mast is bending, but not 1.5 mast widths as pictured. A more accurate measurement would be taken from the aft edge, foot to head, and offset measurements made at 1/8 or 1/4 points. 

Rake is how 'vertical' the mast is. The line isn't showing that. It's showing where a straight mast would sit by extending a line from the bottom section. Ideally, the bend should be taken at the mast track, on the other side of the mast, but with a black sail and black mast, that's pretty hard to illustrate on a video. In lieu of that, showing the bend from a straight line extended from the mast foot is a good proxy. 

P.s. you should tell all the Olympic 49er sailors that they aren't measuring mast bend when they pull a taught line down the front of their masts before sailing each day