Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, jaysper said:

I suspect the dumb fucking decisions in the final were down to the feeling that they needed a hail mary to counter the lack of boat speed.

Yes although think there were probs two races where they could have lived with the conditions OK and we’re overly aggressive. But the final race showed how much they needed when it was below 10kts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

shes legit ... foil arm looks to be in the front end of the box ... opposite of all other teams ... what are we going to read into that?

ETNZ are probably favorites .....but win or lose....Team New Zealand have firmly established themselves as the all time great AC nation in the modern era.   From the time they first emerged, they have

Posted Images

As usual the Brits are consistent at losing. Brits wake up  and sort the industry out  and not use it for the few. RYS ? what a load of bollocks  Sir ?  Fracking company as a main sponsor? Rule what ? Fucking get real.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CARBONINIT said:

As usual the Brits are consistent at losing. Brits wake up  and sort the industry out  and not use it for the few. RYS ? what a load of bollocks  Sir ?  Fracking company as a main sponsor? Rule what ? Fucking get real.

Did a Brit steal your lunch box or girlfriend?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dullers said:

Did a Brit steal your lunch box or girlfriend?

I thought it was Dean Barker the one doing this kind of things to SA AC posters :D

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jaysper said:

Ainslie will never give up the wheel and nor he should IMO.

I think Ainslie and Scott work bloody well in their current roles.

I suspect the dumb fucking decisions in the final were down to the feeling that they needed a hail mary to counter the lack of boat speed.

nah - probably they were on a $$$$/win contract and that was the pressure that cracked them:)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

How about the FIC dumped say 2% of his next AC budget on saving the Tallships Trust (see the SA home page). 

The brexiteer fracking tax exile Knight of the Realm might then earn a few brownie points in the yachting fraternity. 

 

"British Tall Ships Youth Trust which operates five vessels with the aim of taking young people to sea on week-long courses is one of the charities which has suffered significantly during the Covid crisis. It is particularly focussed on introducing disadvantaged children to a life at sea.

The organisation is looking to attract industry partners who would like to be associated with the work the charity undertakes.

A relationship with Tall Ships would enhance internal staff engagement, increase a company`s brand profile and provide fresh, exciting and exclusive content to engage with its customers. And most important of all a company which becomes a partner will be making a difference when needed the most.

For more information please contact Richard Leaman-Grey the CEO of the Tall Ships Youth Trust at Richard.Leaman@tallships.org."

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CARBONINIT said:

Lunch box ? can you elaborate as it has many meanings? 

Ahh so it is worse than I thought....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding to above. Filmed almost a year ago and some prophetic words. What JR didn't mention was when they were buying the ICI thinghy for a billion, Ineos had 100 mil worth of oil which went negative and  they still pulled the deal off

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

The Grenadier looks like the Frackers Royal barge and will not exactly fly out of the showroom in vast numbers to it's supposed greatest market the Herne Bay housewife.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.83646dcd862b46390350eac6514ff113.jpg

Ticks a load of boxes and goes on where LR left off and went jelly mould. Lots of neat touches which add up. Plenty of interest in US and AUS 4WD channels. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, CARBONINIT said:

As usual the Brits are consistent at losing. Brits wake up  and sort the industry out  and not use it for the few. RYS ? what a load of bollocks  Sir ?  Fracking company as a main sponsor? Rule what ? Fucking get real.

Footballs coming home

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

The Grenadier looks like the Frackers Royal barge and will not exactly fly out of the showroom in vast numbers to it's supposed greatest market the Herne Bay housewife.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.83646dcd862b46390350eac6514ff113.jpg

House wife is 100% not the intended market. You would  know that if you’d looked at anything beyond that picture but it’s an easy shot to take so can’t blame you for the assumption. 
 

As for Herne Bay? have some ambition.. If you’re going to go down the broad stereotype route at least reference Cheshire or Chelsea for the 4x4 driving housewife

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

House wife is 100% not the intended market. You would  know that if you’d looked at anything beyond that picture but it’s an easy shot to take so can’t blame you for the assumption. 
 

As for Herne Bay? have some ambition.. If you’re going to go down the broad stereotype route at least reference Cheshire or Chelsea for the 4x4 driving housewife

In this case he's referring to your Herne Bay's namesake in the Auckland - a wealthy suburb with the most expensive real estate in the country.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chesirecat said:

Ticks a load of boxes and goes on where LR left off and went jelly mould. Lots of neat touches which add up. Plenty of interest in US and AUS 4WD channels. 

‘Went jelly mould “fuck try driving a M1 or Mk11 I owned both me thinks that if ever JR produces one car on a French production line considering he has admitted to not seeing one in the flesh the Grenadiers going to be as much success as the Royal barge.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

In this case he's referring to your Herne Bay's namesake in the Auckland - a wealthy suburb with the most expensive real estate in the country.

Oh god that’s worrying? Is that some strange inverted wealth vortex when you cross into the Southern Hemisphere? 

its still not the target market for it though

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Royal barge

It’s a really bizarre project built by French people in France and given a French name.l by a tax exile Brit living in Monaco. 
 

i think it’s more for fun than a serious quest at making money. But you are right: a really strange project. It was supposed to be a patriotic rebirth of the land rover which made it quite fun for Brits as a symbolic gesture. But now it’s Le Land Rover it rather loses any point as you may as well just buy a Land Rover.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, KingMonkey said:

It’s a really bizarre project built by French people in France and given a French name.l by a tax exile Brit living in Monaco. 
 

i think it’s more for fun than a serious quest at making money. But you are right: a really strange project. It was supposed to be a patriotic rebirth of the land rover which made it quite fun for Brits as a symbolic gesture. But now it’s Le Land Rover it rather loses any point as you may as well just buy a Land Rover.  

The more I see of JR is a fool and his money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 45Roller said:

Footballs coming home

Fuck football , load of pansies and bollocks .Fucking hate football. Cricket is watching paint dry.  AC is  for wealthy twats who are bored and want a bit of silverware on their mantle piece. ooh ooh look at me, over here, cooey.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CARBONINIT said:

Fuck football , load of pansies and bollocks .Fucking hate football. Cricket is watching paint dry.  AC is  for wealthy twats who are bored and want a bit of silverware on their mantle piece. ooh ooh look at me, over here, cooey.

Ahh cheer up mate :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Yeah. Not exactly a looker. But probably nice inside. And that helipad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jaysper said:

Yeah, supposed to look like a pseudo "expedition" vessel ...

image.png.b983b74d019ebf6972ec169e40875102.png

"Sherpa has been created for a highly experienced yachtsman who is a repeat client for Feadship. Her explorer-like exterior profile is accentuated by an unfaired hull which leaves the plate work and welding exposed. This sturdy finish was requested by the owner who wished to generate an industrial look. At the same time, Sherpa’s exterior still features a wealth of high-end details, including lots of teak, polished stainless steel and meticulously dressed aluminium and steel elements.

The expedition-style architecture will enable Sherpa to carry a great deal of equipment wherever she sails. The owner wishes to have all kinds of transportation and logistics options available as he embarks on his adventures in different parts of the world, including large tenders and various vehicles to use on land."
- https://www.feadship.nl/fleet/sherpa

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2021 at 9:48 PM, Priscilla said:

‘Went jelly mould “fuck try driving a M1 or Mk11 I owned both me thinks that if ever JR produces one car on a French production line considering he has admitted to not seeing one in the flesh the Grenadiers going to be as much success as the Royal barge.

 

I  was brought up on a Series 1 taking my driving test in it, followed by sufferance with a diesel series 2. The series 1 went to central Turkey in the 60's, getting caught up in the Turkish Cypriot thing going through the Turkish border. A few days on the Autobarn didn't really show its best but Landy trials at Solihull were ace. Been keeping an eye on the Grenadier's development and it looks very promising. Would def be in for one if back in the 4WD game especially if they stuck to one system like AF or Whitworth or metric and not combinations of all three.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2021 at 7:13 AM, Priscilla said:

The Grenadier looks like the Frackers Royal barge and will not exactly fly out of the showroom in vast numbers to it's supposed greatest market the Herne Bay housewife.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.83646dcd862b46390350eac6514ff113.jpg

Expert on everything Pris. Keep up the work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2021 at 9:22 AM, Priscilla said:

The more I see of JR is a fool and his money.

I wish i was as stupid as Jim with his money.....Maybe he should look at how you manage your money pris?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2021 at 9:42 AM, CARBONINIT said:

Fuck football , load of pansies and bollocks .Fucking hate football. Cricket is watching paint dry.  AC is  for wealthy twats who are bored and want a bit of silverware on their mantle piece. ooh ooh look at me, over here, cooey.

Yet you haunt the AC forums like a slightly runny fart. I now understand a Brit put something in your lunch box.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jaysper said:

Whats with having the sewer pipes running along the outside of the boat :huh:

If you've ever had to lay alongside a concrete or steel pier, you would understand it. Or if you ever had to tie up to a bunkering barge somewhere. Same goes for the un-faired exterior plating.

I once had to lay alongside a commercial bunkering station in Gove, Australia to refuel my little 12m fiberglass cruising boat after an unexpectedly calm passage over the top of Australia. 

It had the potential to be really ugly, but fortunately, it was a calm day.

The next long-range cruising boat we had designed had an un-faired steel hull for that reason, as well as 12,000 litres of fuel capacity.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, accnick said:

If you've ever had to lay alongside a concrete or steel pier, you would understand it. 

That Royal box protruding from both sides of the of the hull would prevent a lot of docking manoeuvres maybe Jim the Fracker has whopper fenders makes the strakes a bit of macho look I’m a workboat so I must be tuff wank.

 

7876CB60-E8F8-47EF-92CF-3DE13E66750A.thumb.jpeg.8a9bef6993059204c505a42e2ec810b3.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting collection at the Viaduct.

Frackers Sherpa Adix whose owner Jaime Botin is facing jail time for illegally exporting a Picasso and Severine ex Petite Lande aluminium Alden 54 schooner owned by Marcelino Botin and one of my all time favourites.


85B896BA-ED6E-4CB7-A9F8-FA102069FBDC.jpeg.390d938fcd6084693f1c14f0927cd2e6.jpeg
465D9ADA-E11F-4DE9-AE1D-94C5F06C8F15.thumb.jpeg.0c9d162f71a537e462081938d5ac49d5.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Interesting collection at the Viaduct.

Frackers Sherpa Adix whose owner Jaime Botin is facing jail time for illegally exporting a Picasso and Severine ex Petite Lande aluminium Alden 54 schooner owned by Marcelino Botin and one of my all time favourites.


85B896BA-ED6E-4CB7-A9F8-FA102069FBDC.jpeg.390d938fcd6084693f1c14f0927cd2e6.jpeg
465D9ADA-E11F-4DE9-AE1D-94C5F06C8F15.thumb.jpeg.0c9d162f71a537e462081938d5ac49d5.jpeg

Whilst not as large or practical for sure, more attractive by light years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

What a complete dog’s breakfast the exterior helm station is you wouldn’t be able to see past the chimney whilst in reverse.:P

43CE2C47-1895-4FF7-9C18-5A1068ABB37A.thumb.jpeg.8fa9154c138118dab550776ad6e8a90c.jpeg

That's what walkie-talkies and rear-view cameras are for.

Get with the program!:D

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

That Royal box protruding from both sides of the of the hull would prevent a lot of docking manoeuvres maybe Jim the Fracker has whopper fenders makes the strakes a bit of macho look I’m a workboat so I must be tuff wank.

 

7876CB60-E8F8-47EF-92CF-3DE13E66750A.thumb.jpeg.8a9bef6993059204c505a42e2ec810b3.jpeg

They look removable at least I bet Ben could remove them in one of his special  docking manoeuvres

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2021 at 7:13 AM, Priscilla said:

The Grenadier looks like the Frackers Royal barge and will not exactly fly out of the showroom in vast numbers to it's supposed greatest market the Herne Bay housewife.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.83646dcd862b46390350eac6514ff113.jpg

 

13 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Looks like it was designed by Nick Holroyd.

488BAC94-5A1C-425B-94B6-E16BEC01493E.thumb.jpeg.6fc6d76bef5a63b6b3f5be6f68d0513e.jpeg

 

Both would be an embarrassment in St Tropez, Monaco or Cap D'Antibes.

I guess they look ok for the sensibilities of the folks downunder.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, winchfodder said:

 

Both would be an embarrassment in St Tropez, Monaco or Antibes.

I guess they look ok for the sensibilities of the folks downunder.

The Frackers Grenadier is clearly a case of design plagiarism of a Kiwi icon.

04A1D53E-9D8B-445C-AF01-611296A4FF19.jpeg.daed39b351e896bb7c82cf6309c40bdd.jpeg

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, accnick said:

That's what walkie-talkies and rear-view cameras are for.

Get with the program!:D

Yeah, as ugly as this piece of shit is I was going to say that even my car has a reversing camera.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, amc said:

They look removable at least I bet Ben could remove them in one of his special  docking manoeuvres

I assume you a referring to the docking method he used against SoftBank?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2021 at 8:13 PM, Priscilla said:

The Grenadier looks like the Frackers Royal barge and will not exactly fly out of the showroom in vast numbers to it's supposed greatest market the Herne Bay housewife.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.83646dcd862b46390350eac6514ff113.jpg

Just looked it up and it has a BMW engine.

So much for the marketing wank about this thing being reliable.

It looks like a Land Rover. So why not have the quality of one too eh?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2021 at 10:42 PM, CARBONINIT said:

Fuck football , load of pansies and bollocks .Fucking hate football. Cricket is watching paint dry.  AC is  for wealthy twats who are bored and want a bit of silverware on their mantle piece. ooh ooh look at me, over here, cooey.

Cleerly terminally dissafekted,

+ langwidj tshoisez,

sudjesting probabel brit ansestry

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, chesirecat said:

... especially if they stuck to one system like AF or Whitworth or metric and not combinations of all three.

^ indeed

.   / Q   /   .   do frakkerz prefer frakshuns?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, snaerk said:

Cleerly terminally dissafekted,

+ langwidj tshoisez,

sudjesting probabel brit ansestry

His last word could suggest orstraylian 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

I guess they look ok for the sensibilities of the folks downunder.

An American as an arbiter of taste... bless...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2021 at 11:49 AM, winchfodder said:

It looks like Ben has managed to hook into a billionaire who might give him another chance...

......as he has admitted many times in Auckland, the boat was too slow in less than 15 knots, strangely the very conditions predicted for the Prada Cup final and then the Match. Conditions that were very well known years in advance, so one wonders why he went for a heavy air boat in the first place, twice!....

yor contenshin seemz to me to rely on nollidj unavaylabel at the tym ov the ferst bote's dezine to a brand nyoo rool ( shorly he did not intend a "heavy air boat")

but yoo make a strong poynt abowt the sekond bote, hwitch shood hav remedeed the ferst's faylings -- not in relayshun to the uther botes (still un-noabel), but in absoloot terms

 

ie the bote thay took to NZ kood not foyl at ennything lyk the bottom end ov the kontest's spessifide kondishunz.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That photo @winchfodder is about as brilliant an example as I've ever seen - it's so obvious what aesthetic it is trying to go for, and yet it demonstrates precisely the failure of proportion and detail that turn it into a vulgar heap...

Somewhere in there is a bad-ass jeep trying to get out... 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rh3000 said:

This is about as brilliant an example as I've ever seen - it's so obvious what aesthetic it is trying to go for, and yet it demonstrates precisely the failure of proportion and detail that turn it into a vulgar heap...

Somewhere in there is a bad-ass jeep trying to get out... 

Az Libberarchy faymussly sed

"Too much of a good thing is precisely the right amount"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paddywackery said:

Correct. 

I doant think heez nyss enuff.

In fakt, he oozez narstiness,
whether fayk or reel I doant no.

Moast badass non-brit Irish

and theer dessendents

are lykabel roags, IME

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Is that the official Cindymobile?

if the frothing sindyhaterz on this forum are to be belleevd (and I suspekt thay ar not)

her styl wood be mor 

1/35 scale German staff car and driver with officers | #1862882376

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, snaerk said:

I doant think heez nyss enuff.

In fakt, he oozez narstiness,
whether fayk or reel I doant no.

Moast badass non-brit Irish

and theer dessendents

are lykabel roags, IME

Lykabel roags is fine by me :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jaysper said:

Just looked it up and it has a BMW engine.

So much for the marketing wank about this thing being reliable.

It looks like a Land Rover. So why not have the quality of one too eh?

Yeah, I keep thinking this thing is a car designed by someone who really likes older Defenders. Really don't see the point. Niche appeal I guess. There are all manner of guys who dream of producing a retro vehicle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, nroose said:

Yeah, I keep thinking this thing is a car designed by someone who really likes older Defenders. Really don't see the point. Niche appeal I guess. There are all manner of guys who dream of producing a retro vehicle.

But why put a BMer engine in it? Why not something reliable?

It's made in France so will be enough of an unreliable piece of crap without fitting it with a shit engine as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, jaysper said:

But why put a BMer engine in it? Why not something reliable?

It's made in France so will be enough of an unreliable piece of crap without fitting it with a shit engine as well.

Decisions like that, I guess, are about personal/business connections and availability. Each engine has it's advantages and disadvantages. I guess it won't be so important, though, since that vehicle is mostly about how it looks, and how it makes the owners feel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Paddywackery said:

No, that would be us Irish ☘️ 

It was about 50 50 and most Australians are not descended from the convicts. We also had the very ugly go to Australia in large numbers.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dullers said:

It was about 50 50 and most Australians are not descended from the convicts. We also had the very ugly go to Australia in large numbers.

Thanks for not sending the very ugly ones here. You sent us enough ugly ones and they soon emigrated. And then the Spanish Armada hit the rocks on the West Coast and they added to our already natural good looks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2021 at 8:13 PM, Priscilla said:

The Grenadier looks like the Frackers Royal barge and will not exactly fly out of the showroom in vast numbers to it's supposed greatest market the Herne Bay housewife.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.83646dcd862b46390350eac6514ff113.jpg

Well hopefully Clarkson or one of the Top Gears, takes the orange nose and crash test stickers as a challenge, to see how it resists being dropped off a cliff, RPG fire,  or a herd of elephants. That would make me and the 12 year old happy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

Well hopefully Clarkson or one of the Top Gears, takes the orange nose and crash test stickers as a challenge, to see how it resists being dropped off a cliff, RPG fire,  or a herd of elephants. That would make me and the 12 year old happy. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

Well hopefully Clarkson or one of the Top Gears, takes the orange nose and crash test stickers as a challenge, to see how it resists being dropped off a cliff, RPG fire,  or a herd of elephants. That would make me and the 12 year old happy. 

Give it the old Hilux test and put it atop a building during demolition.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering how long the S&S thread went on, I suppose we’ll have to endure the INEOS one for quite a while yet. Me, I think all one needs to know is here:

On 2/27/2021 at 2:58 AM, fish7yu said:

America’s Cup: Our analysis of INEOS’ development

Toby Heppell looks at the design decisions taken by INEOS Team UK in the build up to the America's Cup and asks where the Brits got it right and where they got it wrong

America’s Cup: Our analysis of INEOS’ development

 

09-58-05-200204_TeamINEOSUK_LloydImages_027-2048x2048-1.jpg

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2021 at 8:57 AM, amc said:

They look removable at least I bet Ben could remove them in one of his special  docking manoeuvres

I think they're geranium planter boxes aren't they?

Lends a certain refined narrowboat vibe and softens that otherwise workboat bluntness. I like it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Xlot said:

Considering how long the S&S thread went on, I suppose we’ll have to endure the INEOS one for quite a while yet. Me, I think all one needs to know is here:

 

In case I missed it being posted earlier, some interesting comments by BA and GS are in this one too