Jump to content

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, strider470 said:

But they can't accept challenges for AC38 yet. It's forbiddent by the Deed.

And for jumping the cycle, LR has been by far the most competitive challenger of the lot, unless proved the contrary, and they surely lose the momentum and advantage they have.

Luna Rossa wasn't the most competitive Challenger in Auckland when you take away that they a Head Start with the AC75 Design Rule. They were not dangerous to ETNZ at all. INEOS & AM were most disadvantaged during AC36!

Luna Rossa will lose some advantages anyways.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

shes legit ... foil arm looks to be in the front end of the box ... opposite of all other teams ... what are we going to read into that?

ETNZ are probably favorites .....but win or lose....Team New Zealand have firmly established themselves as the all time great AC nation in the modern era.   From the time they first emerged, they have

And so it begins. Image credit and copyright Allesandro Spiga  

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Luna Rossa wasn't the most competitive Challenger in Auckland when you take away that they a Head Start with the AC75 Design Rule. They were not dangerous to ETNZ at all. INEOS & AM were most disadvantaged during AC36!

Luna Rossa will lose some advantages anyways.

And ETNZ by the same reasoning was not more competitive than Luna Rossa, considering that they had the new class design in mind well before.

This is nonsense. The results on the water don't agree with your thoughts. Don't blame me, blame the races.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, strider470 said:

And ETNZ by the same reasoning was not more competitive than Luna Rossa, considering that they had designed in mind well before.

This is nonsense. The results on the water don't agree with your thoughts. Don't blame me, blame the races.

#FakeNews! LOL!

Link to post
Share on other sites

And when a challenge from a Club fulfilling all the conditions required by this instrument has been received, no other challenge can be considered until the pending event has been decided.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jaysper said:

#FakeNews! LOL!

In the end, the most competitive boat was S&S, because they never lost a race!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, strider470 said:

In the end, the most competitive boat was S&S, because they never lost a race!

Actually its my daughters toy boat.

S & S never lost a race but spent millions.

My daughter never lost a race and the boat was about $5.

Do you know any kids with a toy boat cheaper than $5? Maybe they can have the best boat instead?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jaysper said:

Actually its my daughters toy boat.

S & S never lost a race but spent millions.

My daughter never lost a race and the boat was about $5.

Do you know any kids with a toy boat cheaper than $5? Maybe they can have the best boat instead?

If she had been Dalton's daughter, she would have had a $ 500 boat, but she would have had to move to England to play

Link to post
Share on other sites

What on earth does the most competitive boat have to do with being selected as challenger?   It has never has mattered before.

Luna Rossa was selected as challenger after AC 35 and Luna Rossa was not even at AC 35.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

What on earth does the most competitive boat have to do with being selected as challenger?   It has never has mattered before.

Luna Rossa was selected as challenger after AC 35 and Luna Rossa was not even at AC 35.

Luna Rossa had a pretty big Advantage when it came to the AC75 Rule. Francesco Bruni was reportedly testing the Twin-Skin Mainsail waaaay before the actual AC75 Class Rule came out and so did the Kiwis. AC36 was probably the Italians best shot of winning the Cup bcuz they established that Boat Class.
I expect the Avantages the Italians had over INEOS & AM will be much narrower for AC37 and beyond if they have any Advantages at all.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, strider470 said:

But they can't accept challenges for AC38 yet. It's forbiddent by the Deed.

And for jumping the cycle, LR has been by far the most competitive challenger of the lot, unless proved the contrary, and they surely lose the momentum and advantage they have.

Legitimate concern for LR

Contracts can be signed by all parties with massive penalty clauses

As already stated by Jaysper 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mako23 said:

Legitimate concern for LR

Contracts can be signed by all parties with massive penalty clauses

As already stated by Jaysper 

Can I say that I don't like that anyway? It's the principle, they are opening a dark road.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Luna Rossa had a pretty big Advantage when it came to the AC75 Rule. Francesco Bruni was reportedly testing the Twin-Skin Mainsail waaaay before the actual AC75 Class Rule came out and so did the Kiwis. AC36 was probably the Italians best shot of winning the Cup bcuz they established that Boat Class.
I expect the Avantages the Italians had over INEOS & AM will be much narrower for AC37 and beyond if they have any Advantages at all.

LR advantages are not just the boat, their sailing team is as good as ETNZ or even better. With Jimmy being the best starter ....it’s a massive advantage LR has. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mako23 said:

LR advantages are not just the boat, their sailing team is as good as ETNZ or even better. With Jimmy being the best starter ....it’s a massive advantage LR has. 

Not if they're not racing - which of course is the point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A thought on Sir Jim Ratcliffe:
When BA announced the switch from Land Rover to INEOS I wasn't keen to have Ratcliffe but I admit my judgement about Sir Jim was probably clouded by the often unwarranted attacks by the British Press. Sometimes they were waaaaay over the top when it comes to reporting on Ratcliffe and his Company INEOS.
Ratcliffe actually seems a very nice guy, very sincere, a straight talker and classy as well. For example how he thanked the Country of New Zealand after his Team got eliminated.

A thought on INEOS TEAM UK:
If you look at their Social Channels they only thanked & congratulated Emirates Team New Zealand after they won the AC last Wednesday but no mention of Luna Rossa at all. There is definitly some bad blood between the Brits and the Italians.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sailbydate said:

Not if they're not racing - which of course is the point.

Let's see the positive. There will be plenty of commentatosr on tv :D :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Can I say that I don't like that anyway? It's the principle, they are opening a dark road.

Signing contracts to Protect LR, AM and any other challenging syndicate is a good thing. It gives them certainty and allows them to plan, invest and spend money with a sense of certainty. 
 

Im sure your never going to like the proposed AC37 and I don’t blame you at all, for feeling this way. But there are ways to ensure that other syndicates are not disadvantaged by Ineos and ETNZ Dog match. 
 

All things being perfect I’d prefer that the Dog match not happen. Unfortunately GD is not listening to me

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, strider470 said:

Let's see the positive. There will be plenty of commentatosr on tv :D :D

Checco would be good. But let's hope he's soon back on the helm.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Signing contracts to Protect LR, AM and any other challenging syndicate is a good thing. It gives them certainty and allows them to plan, invest and spend money with a sense of certainty. 
 

Im sure your never going to like the proposed AC37 and I don’t blame you at all, for feeling this way. But there are ways to ensure that other syndicates are not disadvantaged by Ineos and ETNZ Dog match. 

Look, if it will go that way, I hope the DoG will be amended to avoid such a crap in the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Look, if it will go that ways, I hope the DoG will be amended to avoid such a crap in the future.

So if Prada offered ETNZ a massive amount of money to hold a DOG match in Italy , I’m sure you would be against the idea. However a lot of Italians would be happy about the idea......think about all the handbag sales

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mako23 said:

So if Prada offered ETNZ a massive amount of money to hold a DOG match in Italy , I’m sure you would be against the idea. However a lot of Italians would be happy about the idea......think about all the handbag sales

I'm not sayng that Italians are more intelligent than others. Someone probably would be happy. Not a good reason to do the wrong thing, though. And I think it's not the style of Prada buying a shortcut access to the Match.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, strider470 said:

I'm not sayng that Italians are more intelligent than others. Someone probably would be happy. Not a good reason to do the wrong thing, though. And I think it's not the style of Prada buying a shortcut access to the Match.

Look,
The only Reason the 1 - 1 has come up is because of ETNZ's financial woes and probably because the ACWS in Portsmouth & Cagliari were cancelled AND because Ratcliffe doesn't want Luna Rossa in the next Cup:D

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Look,
The only Reason the 1 - 1 has come up is because of ETNZ's financial woes and probably because the ACWS in Portsmouth & Cagliari were cancelled AND because Ratcliffe doesn't want Luna Rossa in the next Cup:D

Probably true. But I'm still not convinced that this 1 - 1 match is going to happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, strider470 said:

I'm not sayng that Italians are more intelligent than others. Someone probably would be happy. Not a good reason to do the wrong thing, though. And I think it's not the style of Prada buying a shortcut access to the Match.

I remember an ACWS event held off the waterfront of Napoli. 150 thousand Italians turned out for the weekend, it was terrific. Prada ran two boats, Swordfish and Piranha, one of them took first place in that 3 day regatta and the crowd went nuts. 
 

On the most-busy weekend during AC36 here recently, a lot of boats (2000+?) gassed up and went out but Vilkage attendance was pretty tiny.. 40k on the Saturday, half of the many big-sport events that happen several times a week where I live. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Probably true. But I'm still not convinced that this 1 - 1 match is going to happen.

I can't see the upside for ETNZ other than as a bargaining chip.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

I remember an ACWS event held off the waterfront of Napoli. 150 thousand Italians turned out for the weekend, it was terrific. Prada ran two boats, Swordfish and Piranha, one of them took first place in that 3 day regatta and the crowd went nuts. 
 

On the most-busy weekend during AC36 here recently, a lot of boats (2000+?) gassed up and went out but Vilkage attendance was pretty tiny.. 40k on the Saturday, half of the many big-sport events that happen several times a week where I live. 

Napoli is really a natural sailing stadium

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

I remember an ACWS event held off the waterfront of Napoli. 150 thousand Italians turned out for the weekend, it was terrific. Prada ran two boats, Swordfish and Piranha, one of them took first place in that 3 day regatta and the crowd went nuts. 
 

On the most-busy weekend during AC36 here recently, a lot of boats (2000+?) gassed up and went out but Vilkage attendance was pretty tiny.. 40k on the Saturday, half of the many big-sport events that happen several times a week where I live. 

Are you a jerk or what? The ACWS that was held in Napoli in 2012 was when COVID19 wasn't even on the radar!

As long as this virus is circulating around extra precautions need to be taken not to mention that the AC Village can't take 100K+ People. It's not designed for that! A lot of waterfront upgrades in Auckland had to be scrubbed because of the Pandemic!

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Are you a jerk or what? The ACWS that was held in Napoli in 2012 was when COVID19 wasn't even on the radar!

As long as this virus is circulating around extra precautions need to be taken not to mention that the AC Village can't take 100K+ People. It's not designed for that! A lot of waterfront upgrades in Auckland had to be scrubbed because of the Pandemic!

The ACWS in Portsmouth (pre-pandemic) gained small attendance too. That ACWS in Naples was fantastic, it eclipses any AC event I can think of in the past 15 years. 
 

Selling this sailboat race to NZ govt and Auk govt is gonna be a hard-sell. People didn’t actually care much. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Advocate said:

Thanks @MaxHugen for posting that article. Just got through it.

So it seems a lot of back peddling and GD cash cow evaporated.

Perhaps they have been reading forums....

Seems there are a few "reporters" and others that keep an eye on SAAC!  :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

So given that Ratcliffe has said they would build a new boat for the Deed of gift match, one would assume they’d build another new boat for AC37. So by virtue of the 1 on 1 deed of gift match, they would have two new AC75’s to each of the AC37 teams one. If I was Dalton, I’d sign up for the DoG match on the condition: that INEOS use one of their existing AC75’s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Luna Rossa wasn't the most competitive Challenger in Auckland when you take away that they a Head Start with the AC75 Design Rule. They were not dangerous to ETNZ at all. INEOS & AM were most disadvantaged during AC36!

Luna Rossa will lose some advantages anyways.

Matteo de Nora: It was nice to have them (LR) as opponents, but in my opinion they were the least dangerous team. The Americans were the fastest and the British had the best team. All the regattas took place with the target wind of Luna Rossa. I was amazed at how easily we won when we decided to attack despite the light wind. In any case, all beautiful regattas.

https://farevela.net/2021/03/20/americas-cup-intervista-a-matteo-de-nora-etnz-piu-veloce-e-lidea-di-un-match-a-due-con-ineos-ce/?fbclid=IwAR2GP1oTIbOk7smmpa96EZl_UWP5Q2s53Dc7PRo6BfmOxsiaQSAiX5bxN2w

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

So given that Ratcliffe has said they would build a new boat for the Deed of gift match, one would assume they’d build another new boat for AC37. So by virtue of the 1 on 1 deed of gift match, they would have two new AC75’s to each of the AC37 teams one. If I was Dalton, I’d sign up for the DoG match on the condition: that INEOS use one of their existing AC75’s.

He stated that not building two boats would save 30% of the budget and he's quite strong on his bottom lines. 

Another factor would be hull designs would be pretty well understood by now, so systems, foils and especially rigs are the main dev areas.

 

Lastly not really AC but I suspect hes looking at NZ investment wise. He's got 30 Ineos people working from a temporary Auckland office, been around the South Island and he doesn't do holidays. Maybe a cracking plant near a deep water port which would take in his US shale Ethanol then export output to the Aus/far east. He's already built eight ethanol tankers. That would be a 2 billion investment bottom of the South Island.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, chesirecat said:

Matteo de Nora: It was nice to have them (LR) as opponents, but in my opinion they were the least dangerous team. The Americans were the fastest and the British had the best team. All the regattas took place with the target wind of Luna Rossa. I was amazed at how easily we won when we decided to attack despite the light wind. In any case, all beautiful regattas.

https://farevela.net/2021/03/20/americas-cup-intervista-a-matteo-de-nora-etnz-piu-veloce-e-lidea-di-un-match-a-due-con-ineos-ce/?fbclid=IwAR2GP1oTIbOk7smmpa96EZl_UWP5Q2s53Dc7PRo6BfmOxsiaQSAiX5bxN2w

De Nora seems to lack the ability to shut his mouth.

How utterly ungracious. Fuckhead.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, chesirecat said:

He stated that not building two boats would save 30% of the budget and he's quite strong on his bottom lines. 

I believe one boat will save precisely fuck all.

Teams will always spend as much as they can get hold of.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

So given that Ratcliffe has said they would build a new boat for the Deed of gift match, one would assume they’d build another new boat for AC37. So by virtue of the 1 on 1 deed of gift match, they would have two new AC75’s to each of the AC37 teams one. If I was Dalton, I’d sign up for the DoG match on the condition: that INEOS use one of their existing AC75’s.

A DoG Challenge would have massive Advantages for both, ETNZ and ITUK! Both Teams could built 2 new AC75 Class Boats, one for the 1 - 1 (AC37) and one for the conventional Cup in 2024 (AC38) while LRPP & AM for example could built only one new boat. That is a huge Advantage. If you are the Defender you rig the Advantages into your favour as much as possible if you can.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

A DoG Challenge would have massive Advantages for both, ETNZ and ITUK! Both Teams could built 2 new AC75 Class Boats, one for the 1 - 1 (AC37) and one for the conventional Cup in 2024 (AC38) while LRPP & AM for example could built only one new boat. That is a huge Advantage. If you are the Defender you rig the Advantages into your favour as much as possible if you can.

If it is a DoG boat, they can build anything they want within the waterline limits of the DoG.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

........ There is definitly some bad blood between the Brits and the Italians.

There's bad blood between the Brits and just about everyone else in Europe at the moment! :mellow:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

A DoG Challenge would have massive Advantages for both, ETNZ and ITUK! Both Teams could built 2 new AC75 Class Boats, one for the 1 - 1 (AC37) and one for the conventional Cup in 2024 (AC38) while LRPP & AM for example could built only one new boat. That is a huge Advantage. If you are the Defender you rig the Advantages into your favour as much as possible if you can.

Actually, as LR and AM wouldn't be involved in AC37, they can build as many AC75s and foils as they like.

Only when the protocol for AC38 comes out will they be bound by its rules.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chesirecat said:

Matteo de Nora: It was nice to have them (LR) as opponents, but in my opinion they were the least dangerous team. The Americans were the fastest and the British had the best team. All the regattas took place with the target wind of Luna Rossa. I was amazed at how easily we won when we decided to attack despite the light wind. In any case, all beautiful regattas.

https://farevela.net/2021/03/20/americas-cup-intervista-a-matteo-de-nora-etnz-piu-veloce-e-lidea-di-un-match-a-due-con-ineos-ce/?fbclid=IwAR2GP1oTIbOk7smmpa96EZl_UWP5Q2s53Dc7PRo6BfmOxsiaQSAiX5bxN2w

Matteo de Nora is more anti-Italian than some (very few) fanboys here

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Forourselves said:

So given that Ratcliffe has said they would build a new boat for the Deed of gift match, one would assume they’d build another new boat for AC37. So by virtue of the 1 on 1 deed of gift match, they would have two new AC75’s to each of the AC37 teams one. If I was Dalton, I’d sign up for the DoG match on the condition: that INEOS use one of their existing AC75’s.

Where in the pay wall article does he explicitly state he has issued a DOG challenge... 

no thought not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Matteo de Nora is more anti-Italian than some (very few) fanboys here

What basis do you have for saying that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jaysper said:

If it is a DoG boat, they can build anything they want within the waterline limits of the DoG.

Have INEOS issued a specific DOG challenge? Nope. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dogwatch said:

What basis do you have for saying that?

What I wrote was actually exaggerated. But I never heard words of pride or encouragement from him towards Italian teams. Normally Italians abroad maintain a strong bond and affection with their Country.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Have INEOS issued a specific DOG challenge? Nope. 

I know, I was trying to point that out to dg in a perhaps too subtle way.

For some reason people keep conflating 1 vs 1 with DoG.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Where in the pay wall article does he explicitly state he has issued a DOG challenge... 

no thought not. 

Ratcliffe told The Telegraph the deed of gift challenge on the Solent would be “a bridge” to the 2024 full regatta that the paper reported “would almost certainly be held in Auckland”.
Ratcliffe, worth a reported $34b as founder and co-owner of petrochemicals giant Ineos, said he wouldn’t be funding the deed of gift challenge.

“Absolutely not. I want to be clear about that. Because that would be sort of like buying the Cup into the UK and I don't think that's appropriate,”

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Ratcliffe told The Telegraph the deed of gift challenge on the Solent would be “a bridge” to the 2024 full regatta that the paper reported “would almost certainly be held in Auckland”.
Ratcliffe, worth a reported $34b as founder and co-owner of petrochemicals giant Ineos, said he wouldn’t be funding the deed of gift challenge.

“Absolutely not. I want to be clear about that. Because that would be sort of like buying the Cup into the UK and I don't think that's appropriate,”

So, I'm asking, where is all the advantage for ETNZ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

the score card says it all don't you think?

I mean, what can they gain defending in UK if it is not for money, needed to fund the team?

Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO It can't be a 1 on 1 match without being a Deed of gift match because of the paragraph below:

"Any organized Yacht Club of a foreign country, incorporated, patented, or licensed by the
legislature, admiralty, or other executive department, having for its annual regatta an
ocean water course on the sea, or on an arm of the sea, or one which combines both,
shall always be entitled to the right of sailing a match of this Cup, with a yacht or vessel
propelled by sails only and constructed in the country to which the Challenging Club
belongs, against any one yacht or vessel constructed in the country of the Club holding the
Cup."

IMO this means RNZYS can not decline entries as long as those entries meet the criteria in the DoG and the protocol.

The DoG takes precedence when the Defender and Challenger can not agree, and that match is outlined in the DoG. 

It seems there is no provision in the DoG for a "mutual consent" Deed of gift match, as it would exclude other DoG compliant Challengers, which is against

1) The intent of the Deed:

"This Cup is donated upon the conditions that it shall be preserved as a perpetual
Challenge Cup for friendly competition between foreign countries"

and 

2) The Criteria for acceptance of challengers:

Any organized Yacht Club of a foreign country... shall always be entitled to the right of sailing a match of this Cup...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Ratcliffe told The Telegraph the deed of gift challenge on the Solent would be “a bridge” to the 2024 full regatta that the paper reported “would almost certainly be held in Auckland”.
Ratcliffe, worth a reported $34b as founder and co-owner of petrochemicals giant Ineos, said he wouldn’t be funding the deed of gift challenge.

“Absolutely not. I want to be clear about that. Because that would be sort of like buying the Cup into the UK and I don't think that's appropriate,”

I re read the article and it doesn’t state that, 

Whatever you are quoting from has added in the DOG bit and converted his wealth from £17 billion in the original to $34 billion

why would his interview with the telegraph reference itself? 

Fuckery abounds.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, strider470 said:

I mean, what can they gain defending in UK if it is not for money, needed to fund the team?

Thats the same question I'm asking as well.

To me, no one gains anything.

IF it happens at the Isle of Wight, Ratcliffe isn't paying, so who pays? Not sure that the Isle of Wight County Council would be too keen on that idea.

Sponsors? Some other billionaire? Yeah right.

So who's left? ETNZ and GD?

Why? If they can't afford to pay for an Americas Cup event in their home country, why would they go overseas and pay for one in the UK while risking the Cup? 

Can't see it happening.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Thats the same question I'm asking as well.

To me, no one gains anything.

IF it happens at the Isle of Wight, Ratcliffe isn't paying, so who pays? Not sure that the Isle of Wight County Council would be too keen on that idea.

Sponsors? Some other billionaire? Yeah right.

So who's left? ETNZ and GD?

Why? If they can't afford to pay for an Americas Cup event in their home country, why would they go overseas and pay for one in the UK while risking the Cup? 

Can't see it happening.

 

Yep. Seems like an idle threat to get Cindy over the line with some funding and let's face it, she is piss weak and will likely fold.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

I re read the article and it doesn’t state that, 

Whatever you are quoting from has added in the DOG bit and converted his wealth from £17 billion in the original to $34 billion

why would his interview with the telegraph reference itself? 

Fuckery abounds.. 

The way I read the DoG, a 1 on 1 match can only be had if the 2 teams don't agree.

Otherwise RNZYS must accept any and all DoG compliant Challengers. 

They can't just choose to ignore compliant challengers.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

IMO It can't be a 1 on 1 match without being a Deed of gift match because of the paragraph below:

"Any organized Yacht Club of a foreign country, incorporated, patented, or licensed by the
legislature, admiralty, or other executive department, having for its annual regatta an
ocean water course on the sea, or on an arm of the sea, or one which combines both,
shall always be entitled to the right of sailing a match of this Cup, with a yacht or vessel
propelled by sails only and constructed in the country to which the Challenging Club
belongs, against any one yacht or vessel constructed in the country of the Club holding the
Cup."

IMO this means RNZYS can not decline entries as long as those entries meet the criteria in the DoG and the protocol.

The DoG takes precedence when the Defender and Challenger can not agree, and that match is outlined in the DoG. 

It seems there is no provision in the DoG for a "mutual consent" Deed of gift match, as it would exclude other DoG compliant Challengers, which is against

1) The intent of the Deed:

"This Cup is donated upon the conditions that it shall be preserved as a perpetual
Challenge Cup for friendly competition between foreign countries"

and 

2) The Criteria for acceptance of challengers:

Any organized Yacht Club of a foreign country... shall always be entitled to the right of sailing a match of this Cup...

 

 

What? A mutual consent 1:1 is exactly what the Deed is describing as normal and desirable. Multiple challenges are not part of the DoG, they came way later than the DoG was written. 

In fact, the CSS should not even be part of the AC festivities, because the AC is always a simple challenger vs defender. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rennmaus said:

What? A mutual consent 1:1 is exactly what the Deed is describing as normal and desirable. Multiple challenges are not part of the DoG, they came way later than the DoG was written. 

In fact, the CSS should not even be part of the AC festivities, because the AC is always a simple challenger vs defender. 

"Normal" and "Desirable" are not mentioned anywhere in the DoG.

The DoG is clear, that as long as Challenges meet the DoG criteria, they must accept those challenges.

Once the entry period opens, they can't just choose to ignore them.

They have to accept the Challenge until the Challenge is decided.

 

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2021 at 10:20 PM, JALhazmat said:

Think Toto is a bit busy.. that F1 thing he does at weekends? 

:D yep lucky for Ben it’s only a weekend gig 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jaysper said:

That's pretty much my feeling too.

GD has played this game so many times before, it is just old and stale now.

It seems that ETNZ has proven that a commercially funded team is not possible, so perhaps its time to not bother any more?

Oh bollocks. He’s proven time and time again that a commercially funded team is possibly. Just that a small amount of that comes from nz Govners. 
Call it 100 mill for AC36 and how much exactly was not commercially sourced?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

The ACWS in Portsmouth (pre-pandemic) gained small attendance too. That ACWS in Naples was fantastic, it eclipses any AC event I can think of in the past 15 years. 
 

Selling this sailboat race to NZ govt and Auk govt is gonna be a hard-sell. People didn’t actually care much. 

How the fuck would you know what nz people care about. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, JJD said:

Call it 100 mill for AC36 and how much exactly was not commercially sourced?

I don't know, why don't you tell us? Money from $B benefactors is not "commercial".

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

The ACWS in Portsmouth (pre-pandemic) gained small attendance too. That ACWS in Naples was fantastic, it eclipses any AC event I can think of in the past 15 years. 
 

Selling this sailboat race to NZ govt and Auk govt is gonna be a hard-sell. People didn’t actually care much. 

Sorry were you in Portsmouth for the ACWS? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, JJD said:

Oh bollocks. He’s proven time and time again that a commercially funded team is possibly. Just that a small amount of that comes from nz Govners. 
Call it 100 mill for AC36 and how much exactly was not commercially sourced?

No, time and time again, like pretty much every time a Cup is done he has cried poor to the NZL people and said bail me out or we shut.

How the fuck is that a good commercial model. Putting your hand out pretty much every cycle, regardless of the amount proves it is not a successful commercial model.

I have no problem with public money going to it BTW, the country does benefit. The way GD does it sucks, he preys on the sporting pride of his country.

He is nothing more than a stand over merchant. If Emirates is out this time as I think they are, he is fucked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Advocate said:

No, time and time again, like pretty much every time a Cup is done he has cried poor to the NZL people and said bail me out or we shut.

How the fuck is that a good commercial model. Putting your hand out pretty much every cycle, regardless of the amount proves it is not a successful commercial model.

I have no problem with public money going to it BTW, the country does benefit. The way GD does it sucks, he preys on the sporting pride of his country.

He is nothing more than a stand over merchant. If Emirates is out this time as I think they are, he is fucked.

If the best and most winning AC team in recent AC history struggle to fund their campaigns with commercial sponsors, I think nobody else could, using the same business model.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Forourselves said:

"Normal" and "Desirable" are not mentioned anywhere in the DoG.

The DoG is clear, that as long as Challenges meet the DoG criteria, they must accept those challenges.

Once the entry period opens, they can't just choose to ignore them.

They have to accept the Challenge until the Challenge is decided.

 

Yes, one (1) challenge, not multiple challenges.

Then I misunderstood your post, apologies, I thought that you meant that the defender has to accept all challenges by different yacht clubs for one and the same AC.

Edited by Rennmaus
added: by different yacht clubs
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Forourselves said:

The way I read the DoG, a 1 on 1 match can only be had if the 2 teams don't agree.

Otherwise RNZYS must accept any and all DoG compliant Challengers. 

They can't just choose to ignore compliant challengers.

 

You quoted the NZ herald article, that embellished what was actually In The direct telegraph interview..

sneaky.. ;-) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Paddywackery said:

Didn't Gabe Newell do the same and move a lot of his people to NZ? There must be something in the air that's attracting billionaires :lol:

No covid who's eager to move back to the pandemic 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Thats the same question I'm asking as well.

To me, no one gains anything.

IF it happens at the Isle of Wight, Ratcliffe isn't paying, so who pays? Not sure that the Isle of Wight County Council would be too keen on that idea.

Sponsors? Some other billionaire? Yeah right.

So who's left? ETNZ and GD?

Why? If they can't afford to pay for an Americas Cup event in their home country, why would they go overseas and pay for one in the UK while risking the Cup? 

Can't see it happening.

 

Maybe they plan to charge the US viewers $500 this time. Should collect at least $10,000.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Maybe they plan to charge the US viewers $500 this time. Should collect at least $10,000.

What bollocks! At least $10,500! :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jaysper said:

Yep. Seems like an idle threat to get Cindy over the line with some funding and let's face it, she is piss weak and will likely fold.

Agree, but the sticky point of government oversight remains - and this time public funds would have to be preponderant

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Xlot said:

Agree, but the sticky point of government oversight remains - and this time public funds would have to be preponderant

This Labour government was spending money like Nicholas Cage on speed PRIOR coronavirus.

They've since printed $60 Billion (I think) with more to come, so I would be surprised if they don't shake their money maker.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2021 at 1:15 PM, dg_sailingfan said:

 because Ratcliffe doesn't want Luna Rossa in the next Cup:D

Why would he. Prada schooled them last time and will do so again given the chance. So standard pommy rig the game to win shit. Like most sports, the only way they can do any good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Why would he. Prada schooled them last time and will do so again given the chance. So standard pommy rig the game to win shit. Like most sports, the only way they can do any good.

Quite an irony coming from you here! Luna Rossa rigged the Game in the most obscure way for AC36. They did not fulfil their Duties as CoR. A Challenger of Record is usually the Chief Negotiator between the Defender and all the Challengers in the Event. What did they do? For the most part in this Cycle they only negotiated between themselves and ETNZ without even consulting INEOS & American Magic. ITUK & AM did not even have a vote. There is a reason ITUK only congratulated ETNZ after they won the Final Point they needed and left the Italians out completely.

What Ratcliffe, Ainslie are doing now is just "Payback" and I don't blame them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Quite an irony coming from you here! Luna Rossa rigged the Game in the most obscure way for AC36. They did not fulfil their Duties as CoR. A Challenger of Record is usually the Chief Negotiator between the Defender and all the Challengers in the Event. What did they do? For the most part in this Cycle they only negotiated between themselves and ETNZ without even consulting INEOS & American Magic. ITUK & AM did not even have a vote. There is a reason ITUK only congratulated ETNZ after they won the Final Point they needed and left the Italians out completely.

What Ratcliffe, Ainslie are doing now is just "Payback" and I don't blame them.

Please show me where they failed to fulfill their duties?  The other teams had no vote to be taken from them. You just seem to have a hard on for them because they followed the rules and schooled Ben and his pasty pommy crew.

As for being proud that the whinny Poms couldn't have the decency to say anything to the Italians shows what a waste of a good skin you are. A bitter little prick living in the past of pommy greatest. Willing to be a complete asshole rather than have to admit you team were fucking useless. Much like last time, in fact like every time they have been involved. :lol: Can't see it changing any time soon if they need supporters like you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Please show me where they failed to fulfill their duties?  The other teams had no vote to be taken from them. You just seem to have a hard on for them because they followed the rules and schooled Ben and his pasty pommy crew.

As for being proud that the whinny Poms couldn't have the decency to say anything to the Italians shows what a waste of a good skin you are. A bitter little prick living in the past of pommy greatest. Willing to be a complete asshole rather than have to admit you team were fucking useless. Much like last time, in fact like every time they have been involved. :lol: Can't see it changing any time soon if they need supporters like you.

Don't bit. I think some Italian kicked her in the vagina at some time.

Very bitter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jaysper said:

Don't bit. I think some Italian kicked her in the vagina at some time.

Very bitter.

Maybe the Italian threw up a little when the offer of English sex was proposed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Maybe the Italian threw up a little when the offer of English sex was proposed. 

I think English food would do that, no?

I shouldn't mock poms, its just this (presumed) pom really.

Its quite strange, only has sand in his vagina about Italy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jaysper said:

I know, I was trying to point that out to dg in a perhaps too subtle way.

For some reason people keep conflating 1 vs 1 with DoG.

Nothing confusing about it. A DoG challenge is between two qualifying clubs, who, through MC, decide the terms of the challenge. If they can't agree, the Deed provides guidelines...or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jaysper said:

I think English food would do that, no?

I shouldn't mock poms, its just this (presumed) pom really.

Its quite strange, only has sand in his vagina about Italy.

DG? He is German Swiss/ euro hybrid confused as fuck. 
 

as for Gissse, calm down a touch eh? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

DG? He is German Swiss/ euro hybrid confused as fuck. 
 

as for Gissse, calm down a touch eh? 

Thanks for the advice, but nah.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Quite an irony coming from you here! Luna Rossa rigged the Game in the most obscure way for AC36. They did not fulfil their Duties as CoR. A Challenger of Record is usually the Chief Negotiator between the Defender and all the Challengers in the Event. What did they do? For the most part in this Cycle they only negotiated between themselves and ETNZ without even consulting INEOS & American Magic. ITUK & AM did not even have a vote. There is a reason ITUK only congratulated ETNZ after they won the Final Point they needed and left the Italians out completely.

What Ratcliffe, Ainslie are doing now is just "Payback" and I don't blame them.

I've found this definition on the Merriam-Webster Dictionary looking for "sore loser"

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, strider470 said:

I've found this definition on the Merriam-Webster Dictionary looking for "sore loser"

did the German/swiss have a team in AC36? cos he isn't British!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gissie said:

Thanks for the advice, but nah.

ok, hey you want to go at DG sailing fanny? go for your life, just don't go confusing him with anyone British or an INEOS supporter. professional troll but not a supporter.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

did the German/swiss have a team in AC36? cos he isn't British!

ahahaha I did't know, sorry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

did the German/swiss have a team in AC36? cos he isn't British!

Splitting hares. "Your team" can easily be a short form of "the team you are cheering for". 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites