• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

shes legit ... foil arm looks to be in the front end of the box ... opposite of all other teams ... what are we going to read into that?

ETNZ are probably favorites .....but win or lose....Team New Zealand have firmly established themselves as the all time great AC nation in the modern era.   From the time they first emerged, they have

Slowly working through yesterday's lot

Posted Images

Just now, NeedAClew said:

Has anyone actually SEEN the challenge from Royal Whatever? Not read about it, nor split hairs over is it the same as Royal Whazzit, seen the document.

Who challenged? How was it signed?

Good luck finding that!

IF it goes to court somehow we will see it and the subsequent one turned in by Culver and the NYYC, apparently hand-delivered at the RNZYS for them by HR. 

17 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I don't think that Team List from AM is Up-To-Date anymore mate! They still have Goodison in their and there are some Rumors he has signed on with Ben for AC37!

Yes agree -  its a slow day. Wouldn't be surprised (ie would love to see)  to see Hannah Mills in as well. She has that rare conversion ability plus she's half the weight of the guys which is a significant advantage.

So all the drama may be about 

"Royal Whazzit, the racing arm of the venerable Royal Whatever, challenges on behalf of Royal Whatever, inventor of the Starboard Tack Rule, as represented by Golden Ben's Boyz." 

Other one might just have been "You know who the fuck we are we are the Fucking NYYC and we challenge because we want OUR sainted mug back. We have more space in the model room. We'll be represented by whoever, no need to figure that out because we are NYYC."  PS losers need not apply. 

4 minutes ago, chesirecat said:

Yes agree -  its a slow day. Wouldn't be surprised (ie would love to see)  to see Hannah Mills in as well. She has that rare conversion ability plus she's half the weight of the guys which is a significant advantage.

Well, having that Inside Track Show in Brackley instead of Portsmouth tells us quite a lot already, don't you think? Applied Science will have a lot more say in the new AC75 Version 2 Boat then in the Boat that raced in the Prada Cup this year.

Maybe Ben announces Dylan Fletcher and Stu Bithell as new additions?

1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Well, having that Inside Track Show in Brackley instead of Portsmouth tells us quite a lot already, don't you think? Applied Science will have a lot more say in the new AC75 Version 2 Boat then in the Boat that raced in the Prada Cup this year.

Yes, their performance at the Games was outstanding, especially keeping their cool and excellent coms. That medal race was quite something and possibly not unnoticed up high.

6 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

It tells you that design and build under one roof is likely a better option…

as for Portsmouth base being closed down? It’s tricky to go sailing at Brackley…( no you can’t put an AC75 on Rutland water)

17 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Could Toto Wolff really be the new CEO for the British Challenger of Record.

Unlikely, but if he did it would get a huge amount of publicity and I suspect new viewers for the AC. Ineos are just another sponsor for the Mercedes - not even the title sponsor, so their involvement doesn't get much attention. But Toto is probably the best known figure from F1 who doesn't sit in a car on race day. If he took over the sailing operation then it would be mentioned on every F1 show, blog and article. 

On 9/24/2021 at 3:25 AM, chesirecat said:

Yes, their performance at the Games was outstanding, especially keeping their cool and excellent coms. That medal race was quite something and possibly not unnoticed up high.

Since every Challenger is required to field a Women's AC Team I wonder if Hannah Mills taking up that gig!

The Inside Track Show is just 5 Days before the Spanish SailGP Event and Mills is slated to be in Spain so maybe she will also be a Guest on that October 4th?

5 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Since every Challenger is required to field a Women's AC Team I wonder if Hannah Mills taking up that gig!

The Inside Track Show is just 5 Days before the Spanish SailGP Event and Mills is slated to be in Spain so maybe she will also be a Guest on that October 4th?

Be ace wouldn't it.

These 40's are smart concept giving women sailors a pathway to a high profile series and so better access to sponsorship and pro circuits. Interestingly one way of reducing significant AC75 costs is cutting down on grinders via more battery power. It could be the 40's will have similar crew numbers to the AC75's so teams could run two or more 40's with all the benefits that incurs. Be right up Mercs street, or track one should say.

On the TE show, well the bit I was actually listening to, he mentioned the rumour of Tom Slingsby joining Ineos. That would be something. James S talked about TS being underrated and very smart during their Oracle AC campaign. He mentioned everything Tom suggested turned out to be right and they should have listened to him sooner. Having someone able to communicate effectively with the design and engineering teams is crucial so he will be perfect with Merc.

Roll on Oct 4th.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, chesirecat said:

Be ace wouldn't it.

These 40's are smart concept giving women sailors a pathway to a high profile series and so better access to sponsorship and pro circuits. Interestingly one way of reducing significant AC75 costs is cutting down on grinders via more battery power. It could be the 40's will have similar crew numbers to the AC75's so teams could run two or more 40's with all the benefits that incurs. Be right up Mercs street, or track one should say.

On the TE show, well the bit I was actually listening to, he mentioned the rumour of Tom Slingsby joining Ineos. That would be something. James S talked about TS being underrated and very smart during their Oracle AC campaign. He mentioned everything Tom suggested turned out to be right and they should have listened to him sooner. Having someone able to communicate effectively with the design and engineering teams is crucial so he will be perfect with Merc.

Roll on Oct 4th.

How can Slingsby joining INEOS or does he have a British Passport? Slingers joining Ben would definitly be the icing on the cake given that these two basically single-handily pulled Oracle Team USA back from the brink in AC34 with their smart Decison-Making! Where does this leave Giles Scott though? If Ben/Tom/Giles are ending up on the same Team it might end up in a fight, lol:D?

43 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

How can Slingsby joining INEOS or does he have a British Passport? Slingers joining Ben would definitly be the icing on the cake given that these two basically single-handily pulled Oracle Team USA back from the brink in AC34 with their smart Decison-Making! Where does this leave Giles Scott though? If Ben/Tom/Giles are ending up on the same Team it might end up in a fight, lol:D?

Maybe Slingers is being hired as a coach, rather than part of the racing crew. Who sails on the boat when not racing in an official event doesn’t matter.

And by the way, until we have a Protocol, we don’t definitively know the final crew nationality requirements, despite what has been said up to this date.

This was all in Article 10 of the Protocol for AC 36. There will be an analogous article in the Protocol for AC37.

2 minutes ago, accnick said:

Maybe Slingers is being hired as a coach, rather than part of the racing crew. Who sails on the boat when not racing in an official event doesn’t matter.

And by the way, until we have a Protocol, we don’t definitively know the final crew nationality requirements, despite what has been said up to this date.

This was all in Article 10 of the Protocol for AC 36. There will be an analogous article in the Protocol for AC37.

From March 17 2021

https://emirates-team-new-zealand.americascup.com/en/news/521_CHALLENGE-ACCEPTED.html

A new Crew Nationality Rule will require 100% of the race crew for each competitor to either be a passport holder of the country the team’s yacht club as at 19 March 2021 or to have been physically present in that country (or, acting on behalf of such yacht club in Auckland, the venue of the AC36 Events) for two of the previous three years prior to 18 March 2021. As an exception to this requirement, there will be a discretionary provision allowing a quota of non-nationals on the race crew for competitors from “Emerging Nations”.

7 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

@accnick

I can't see Slingsby demoting himself to be a Sailing Coach. More likely is given Ben is getting older he becomes the Sailing Team Manager, maybe even CEO of the Team and lets Slingsby drive his AC75!

Only if he meets whatever the final nationality requirements of the Protocol happen to be.

The nationality requirements are likely to keep some of the world’s best sailors off any AC racing boat for the Cup itself. A highly-paid coaching job may keep some of them in the game.

Those jobs typically permit you to do other racing, such as SailGP.

Of course, we don’t know the terms of any other sailing contracts they might have, so this is just speculation at this point.

11 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

@accnick

I can't see Slingsby demoting himself to be a Sailing Coach. More likely is given Ben is getting older he becomes the Sailing Team Manager, maybe even CEO of the Team and lets Slingsby drive his AC75!

He's got the Sailgp gig. But a sporting career can be short so a bit more income won't go amiss. And unless he has moved to UK, he won't be driving the Brit AC75

3 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

He's got the Sailgp gig. But a sporting career can be short so a bit more income won't go amiss. And unless he has moved to UK, he won't be driving the Brit AC75

Ainslie would be rougly at Barkers Age [50] (Dean was 51 in Auckland this year driving AM) if he drives the Boat in AC37. Ben is too old for that stuff & complex Boat. Why the heck give not someone younger a chance?

4 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

It’s even more tricky, as he is an Aussie for SailGP purposes.

Just now, dg_sailingfan said:

Ainslie would be rougly at Barkers Age [50] (Dean was 51 in Auckland this year driving AM) if he drives the Boat in AC37. Ben is too old for that stuff & complex Boat. Why the heck give not someone younger a chance?

Because he is still one of the best sailors in the world, and it’s his sailing team.

2 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

@accnick

Going off what James S was saying, I think it'll be more interfacing between the sailing team and Merc. Its a crucial link, ie in MotoGp and F1 the best rider/drivers are able to consistently and accurately  translate the machine's nuances into the right technical area and from what Jimmy was saying about Tom, coming up with solutions ahead of the game. In sailing it's imperative to develop a "language" and this language becomes a key part converting performance into those micor gains which turns into wins. Tom would be a great asset here.

If they get him and Ian Percy thats some team.

3 minutes ago, chesirecat said:

Going off what James S was saying, I think it'll be more interfacing between the sailing team and Merc. Its a crucial link, ie in MotoGp and F1 the best rider/drivers are able to consistently and accurately  translate the machine's nuances into the right technical area and from what Jimmy was saying about Tom, coming up with solutions ahead of the game. In sailing it's imperative to develop a "language" and this language becomes a key part converting performance into those micor gains which turns into wins. Tom would be a great asset here.

TS would be a great asset for any AC program.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, accnick said:

TS would be a great asset for any AC program.

As would GA.

I think I (tried to) post this earlier, was in a place upgrading that iPhone at the time, may not have gone through. Anyway:

Someone posted during TE's show yesterday that he thinks TS's father is English; TS may have dual nationality.

4 hours ago, chesirecat said:

If they get him and Ian Percy thats some team.

Well, the Teams in SailGP also after Season 3 have to find some Sponsors. Maybe Slingers is out after 2022.

I agree Percy would be a good CEO though I can't see him doing it!

On 9/24/2021 at 12:34 AM, Stingray~ said:

Botin has a long history with AM and their backers in the TP52 Super Series and in the Maxi's. AM did announce Scott Ferguson as a 'Design Coordinator' but it will surprise me if Botin has now signed with either Alinghi or Ineos. If Alinghi (as is the rumor with Holroyd) then that would be pretty big news, a strong indication that EB is a Go. 

Somewhat related: In Zaal's terrific transcription into English of a video interview that included Max, he wrote that there are 24 (34?) designers already busy in Cagliari. 

Thanks ! :) I think they were 34 / 35 I have to check in the video but it's too long (1 hour and 16) 

• Like 1

Yes it’s a tad predictable his INEOS coverage,

Slag them off during the Christmas cup, suck up while they’re winning in the hope they will ignore the bullshit he was talking and putting into the mainstream press and now were in that limbo period where he doesn’t know whether he’s coming or going what is certain is that he hasn’t Got the invite to Brackley for the 4th

Maybe if he’s lucky Grant will get him an MIQ space and have him down to New Zealand for their launch given what best buddies they are

10 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

That article can be summarised as:

"It's not fair that they are not telling me inside gossip <stamps foot> so I'm going to suck up big time in the hope they start"

:D

The idea that Ineos Britannia will have PR managed F1 Mercedes-style does seem to have merit and maybe this 'Diaries' series is a good analogy.

Maybe it will be good? from there,

As an example of what really good (looks) like, I defer to the Ineos Grenadiers, the cycling team, with their infectious humour, great social media and real insight into their lives both during the race season and into the off-season. It’s masterful. 

• Like 1

@enigmatically2 & @chesirecat

INEOS Campaign for AC37 reminds me a lot of Dongfeng Race Team in the VOR 2017/18! In 2021 INEOS were the Underdogs and did better than expected reaching the Challenger Final just like Dongfeng in 2014/15.

For 2024 INEOS will be among the Favourites reaching the AC Match and maybe even win it all just like Dongfeng was in 2017/18. Can you imagine the pressure that will be applied to Ainslie, Ratcliffe and the new CEO (whoever that might be).

You almost could feel the tension, the pressure that was applied every single Leg to Charles/Pascal and in the first half of the Race they crumbled under it. It wasn't until the Auckland Stopover in 2018 when they had a Team Meeting when they finally let loose of all the anxiety.

And on the Final Leg Pascal finally got one Tactical Decision right enabling them to win the whole thing.

Expect a lot of pitfalls during the INEOS AC37 Campaign!

Just now, JALhazmat said:

Who is applying pressure to Ratcliffe in the situation you describe? 

The Media, the Public, etc. Everyone want it!

Let's be honest with each other: This is the Final Chance Great Britain will ever have to win the AC. If they botch it, they are done!

43 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

The Media, the Public, etc. Everyone want it!

Let's be honest with each other: This is the Final Chance Great Britain will ever have to win the AC. If they botch it, they are done!

Oh no I bet he is shitting himself.. The last time he was put under pressure by the British public and striking factory workers you know what he told them? fuck off. 

They went back to work two days later. 

The idea the sailing media or British public would raise enough of a fuck for him to be concerned is frankly laughable

• Like 4
13 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

The idea the sailing media or British public would raise enough of a fuck for him to be concerned is frankly laughable

Spot on - the only people that give a flying fuck about the AC these days are those who rely on it to top up their coffers every few years. Step forward BA who has spent  ???££££££££??? to  be the laughing stock of the AC world but sure hasn't gone pennyless as a result.   That does not go unnoticed. Seems the same in Kiwiland too but at least they got a result out of it.

Ratcliffe might be trying to sports wash what he does but that too is seen for what it is.   And does he give a FF?  

Funny old game, but it's moths to the candle.  Was way better when you simply had a couple or three billionaires having a crack at each other!

• Like 2

https://www.whatpassport.com/countries/Australia/Passport_and_Nationality/British_Nationality_for_an_Australian

I think it could be easy for Tom S. to have a UK passport, given that there are some facilitations for Commonwealth nations. But, wasn't he rumored to sign with AM ? 

16 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Toto will be on the launch show with Ben and Jim. 

the person not the band.. ;-) 

As I said before, if he moves from F1 to this it would be great publicity worldwide. I think he will also be good for the team

On 9/29/2021 at 4:22 AM, Zaal said:

https://www.whatpassport.com/countries/Australia/Passport_and_Nationality/British_Nationality_for_an_Australian

I think it could be easy for Tom S. to have a UK passport, given that there are some facilitations for Commonwealth nations. But, wasn't he rumored to sign with AM ? 

I believe Tom S along with Goodie have signed with AM for AC37.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

As I said before, if he moves from F1 to this it would be great publicity worldwide. I think he will also be good for the team

Not a chance he will step away from F1 for the AC. Way too much going on there for this to be his new gig.

I would expect he is there to explain the role and facilities being brought to bear by Merc applied science

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

Not a chance he will step away from F1 for the AC. Way too much going on there for this to be his new gig.

I would expect he is there to explain the role and facilities being brought to bear by Merc applied science

Maybe. He did talk about standing down from Merc F1 position

@enigmatically2

I think you nailed it: TOTO WOLFF is the new CEO. Why would he be on the Launch Show if not for being named CEO of the Team?

I maintained what I said months ago in this Thread just after ITUK finished their AC36 Challenge. Ben needed someone who is looking from above 30,000-feet into this Team to see what's going on. And he needed someone who can take the pressure off him and be the Public Face of the Team and protect his Superstar. Ainslie had waaay too many roles to fil in Auckland: Team Principal, Skipper, Helmsman and Pubic Face off the water. That is waaay too much for my liking!

Why not? Because they just closed down their formula E program to focus on F1. 

His remarks about stepping away were in the context of AFTER they get through the huge rule change coming next year,  not during the biggest challenge to their supremacy. With Lewis on for two more years I can’t imagine he signed on knowing Toto was about to halve his focus and go play with boats. 

I mean maybe it could happen but it would be the least “Mercedes F1” decision ever. 

could be funny though, GD and Toto going at each other 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, buckdouger said:

Might have missed this, apologies if so, but seems Martin Fischer has moved to Ineos based on what seems like his face in this instagram video. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUkjV1HqcWA/?utm_medium=copy_link

Well spotted. Be quite a catch, though he's still on their team if that means anything

• Like 1
2 hours ago, buckdouger said:

Might have missed this, apologies if so, but seems Martin Fischer has moved to Ineos based on what seems like his face in this instagram video. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUkjV1HqcWA/?utm_medium=copy_link

The face in the video is 100% Martin. There are a few tell tale scars on his face, plus another photo of him wearing those glasses.

• Like 1

Well spotted indeed, Buck. My gut feeling was that Martin was not totally happy at Prada, possibly because him and Patricio didn't quite "click". And they already said they contracted some designers.

Will he fit in with Team Ineos and Mercedes? Well, why not...

Wasn't there to be a big team reveal today?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Well spotted indeed, Buck. My gut feeling was that Martin was not totally happy at Prada, possibly because him and Patricio didn't quite "click". And they already said they contracted some designers.

Will he fit in with Team Ineos and Mercedes? Well, why not...

Wasn't there to be a big team reveal today?

1230 BST

15 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Thanks, on that stupid instagram, or YouTube as well? Will have a look.

Oh no, do we really have sign up for that? Not me, me m n Anarchist!

I'm not sure having back to back meetings counts as being an anarchist, but I don't think I will be watching live either. I will be looking to here for the key points so don't let me down SA

46 minutes ago, chesirecat said:

Been a busy few months for them then. Good to  see Giles back.

You might want to call the Team now "INEOS Mercedes Britannia" because the entire Team is now under the Supervision of James Allison & Geoffrey Willis.

Interestingly enough James Allison admitted that the Mercedes Involvement for AC36 was too late and if they had been in charge for the entire Campaign for AC36 there might have been a different outcome.

9 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

You want to list every person so no one feels left out? Ffs. 

your “it’s going to be Toto” in charge post looking a little premature.. 

Toto may well hoop over once his contract runs out! Ainslie still has too many roles - NOT GOOD! This will go nowhere if he is CEO, Team Principal, Skipper & Helmsman.

I still think he is too old!

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Toto may well hoop over once his contract runs out! Ainslie still has too many roles - NOT GOOD! This will go nowhere if he is CEO, Team Principal, Skipper & Helmsman.

I still think he is too old!

Ainslie's Ego once again.  He'll never learn and he'll never win with this hangup.  Just hope for a change he gets paid on results - might make him take a more pragmatic view of the campaign.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

You and Four, can’t actually bring yourselves to admit when you were wrong can you? 

And YOU have to admit that Ainslie will likely never win the AC with a British Challenger if he continues to let his EGO get in the way having to fulfill too many roles all at once. That did not work well during AC36.

The only thing that came good today is the involvement of Mercedes with James Allison and Geoff Willis.

Martin Fischer is a MAJOR DOWNGRADE as Lead Designer compared to Holroyd, Vrolijk and the other guys they had.

4 minutes ago, GBH said:

Ainslie's Ego once again.  He'll never learn and he'll never win with this hangup.  Just hope for a change he gets paid on results - might make him take a more pragmatic view of the campaign.

I trend to agree with you!

Ainslie is making the same mistakes over and over and over yet again and expects a different Result.

Mercedes can only help to a certain Point.

disagree on Holroyd, he's always been a very good CFD technician but lead designer material he is not.  Possibly one can say the same about Fischer as well though and so far the design team makeup looks to be a bit thin.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, GBH said:

disagree on Holroyd, he's always been a very good CFD technician but lead designer material he is not.  Possibly one can say the same about Fischer as well though and so far the design team makeup looks to be a bit thin.

Ainslie talked about MATT SHAFER who is a Lead Foil Designer.

13 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

cant wait for Alinghi to announce their entry finally, then you can fuck off to that thread as you will have a home team to support.

Typical from you! When you get challenged you revert into your defensive bubble mode & get personal instead of coming up with a good counter-arguement!