• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

shes legit ... foil arm looks to be in the front end of the box ... opposite of all other teams ... what are we going to read into that?

ETNZ are probably favorites .....but win or lose....Team New Zealand have firmly established themselves as the all time great AC nation in the modern era.   From the time they first emerged, they have

And so it begins. Image credit and copyright Allesandro Spiga  

Posted Images

Pissing off people that think that relevant to the current class? 

but yes he sails and has done for years. google it if it’s that important to you. 

the first time Larry opened his cheque book not a single person said before we accept your cash can you bring me your sailing CV.. 

what’s the sailing background of the Emirates board? 

2 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

What the hell do those guys know about sails - you know the engine of the boat? If that's not right you aren't going to win. A winning AC boat is a complete package.

Mercedes were sorely responsible for turning the slow Christmas Dog into a competitive Boat that could win Races in the Prada Cup!

I am going on a limp and you may disagree with me (that is perfectly fine with me) and say that without the help of the Mercedes Applied Science Division INEOS wouldn't have won a single Race in the Prada Cup!

2 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I am going on a limp and you may disagree with me (that is perfectly fine with me) and say that without the help of the Mercedes Applied Science Division INEOS wouldn't have won a single Race in the Prada Cup!

They got going better, but it was Giles and Ben's sailing well that saw them go through. LR got their shit together then cleaned them up through boat speed.

11 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

but yes he sails and has done for years. google it if it’s that important to you. 

I'm not aware of his sailing background. EB, Larry, and GD are pretty proficient sailors. Is Rats in the same league?

17 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

They got going better, but it was Giles and Ben's sailing well that saw them go through. LR got their shit together then cleaned them up through boat speed.

Sure Ben & Giles sailed well but you can't just put all the eggs in one basket and say that it was the determining factor. There are a whole bunch more people involved then just Ben and Giles, no?

Why are you diminishing the Involvement of the Mercedes Applied Science Division? I just don't get that mate! You are acting like these guys at Mercedes like Tom Batch are a bunch of Amateurs & Crappies.

3 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Toto may well hoop over once his contract runs out! Ainslie still has too many roles - NOT GOOD! This will go nowhere if he is CEO, Team Principal, Skipper & Helmsman.

I still think he is too old!

Toto is one of the most powerful people in F1. Why would he waste his time with something he knows fuck all about like the AC?

2 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I just don't get that mate! You are acting like these guys at Mercedes like Tom Batch are a bunch of Amateurs & Crappies.

With respect to competitive sailing at the highest level they're complete unknowns. What do those guys know about sailing?

4 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

With respect to competitive sailing at the highest level they're complete unknowns. What do those guys know about sailing?

The AC these Days are won under the water with the Foils where the hydrodynamics of the Mercedes Applied Science Division comes into play IMO.

Just now, dg_sailingfan said:

The AC these Days are won under the water with the Foils where the hydrodynamics of the Mercedes Applied Science Division comes into play IMO.

Foils are a big deal, no question. Sail shapes and control are equally important though.

32 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

I'm not aware of his sailing background. EB, Larry, and GD are pretty proficient sailors. Is Rats in the same league?

in the same league?

at what point in any of this is it remotely relevant?

none of them have extensive AC foiling experience so in terms of that then they are all equal with fuck all

3 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

at what point in any of this is it remotely relevant?

It's relevant in the sense that you can have knowledgeable input into what's going on. With Ineos it's all being left up to Ben and the magical car guys.

22 minutes ago, Jono said:

So Dave Endean is in (promoted?) and Grant Simmer is out? Any other shore support names of note?

Grant couldn't wait to get out - was not a happy camper, and neither was anyone else.

6 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

It's relevant in the sense that you can have knowledgeable input into what's going on. With Ineos it's all being left up to Ben and the magical car guys.

What magical input are any of the money men going to have Into sailing a prototype foiling monohull that let’s face it 30people world wide have ever sailed? 

their actual sailing experience is as useful as ours.  As in it’s not. 

oh I remember sailing my 6knt shit box we did this trim upwind and maybe you should give it a go..  

1 minute ago, JALhazmat said:

What magical input are any of the money men going to have Into sailing a prototype foiling monohull that let’s face it 30people world wide have ever sailed? 

Good point - I agree with you there.

8 minutes ago, GBH said:

Grant couldn't wait to get out - was not a happy camper, and neither was anyone else.

This alludes to the culture Ben created. Giles obsequious subservience when doing tactics said it all for me. Not that they didn't get some good results, but it all went a bit pear shaped in the end.  

Now, tell me if this Race here is just about Ben & Giles sailing well as HornRock claims. I don't think so. You can't put everything in one basket. Surely they sailed well but something drastically changed on that Boat from the Pre-Christmas struggles they have had:

You don't pull off a 1:20 Win just because you sailed well!

4 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Airbus didn't help AM enough.  Why (honest question) does F1 help boat design so much? 

I suspect that F1 is years ahead in CFD technology and wind tunnel expertise compared to any AC team since there is so much money chasing small improvements so they should be able to help with the sail and aero package even if they do nothing below the water.

However, even if they don't help with the actual design what Mercedes F1 brings is organizational expertise, attention to detail, professionalism, logistics expertise, human resource management, maybe PR. These are all areas where Mercedes F1 is on a whole different level compared to any AC team. 

1 hour ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

However, even if they don't help with the actual design what Mercedes F1 brings is organizational expertise, attention to detail, professionalism, logistics expertise, human resource management, maybe PR. These are all areas where Mercedes F1 is on a whole different level compared to any AC team. 

Absolutely, there is a German word for it, "grünlichkeit".

Hard to translate in English, because... uh..., the English have no idea what that is.

14 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

Then why is Mercedes F1 headquartered in England? And with a majority of the team English? ^_^

Did I say the English are bad engineers?

And did you hear Ben talk about discipline over at Mercedes F1.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Did I say the English are bad engineers?

And did you hear Ben talk about discipline over at Mercedes F1.

Don't get me wrong; I think it is brilliant to team up with Mercedes F1. My point is that they bring a lot more to the table than just engineering. I have been watching quite a few of the Mercedes F1 YouTube videos, and it is clear that their organization and strategy (not to mention PR) are in an entirely different universe than any sailing team.

21 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

Don't get me wrong; I think it is brilliant to team up with Mercedes F1. My point is that they bring a lot more to the table than just engineering. I have been watching quite a few of the Mercedes F1 YouTube videos, and it is clear that their organization and strategy (not to mention PR) are in an entirely different universe than any sailing team.

We agree on that, not a problem.

But I'm sure the basis of that still 1/3 German, and 1/3 Austrian team is "Gründlichkeit”.

Always been for Mercedes, and I bet for Austrian Toto Wolff too.

Don't think they start their day at 9 or 10, and then have a pint for lunch in the pub.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

It says "Martin Fischer (GER) Head of Design Concept", a bit like he was with ETNZ, disappears after the concept has been agreed or not.

4 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

Aerodynamics is only a subset of fluid dynamics.  Not sure a F1 designer has a wide enough grasp.

4 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

We agree on that, not a problem.

But I'm sure the basis of that still 1/3 German, and 1/3 Austrian team is "Gründlichkeit”.

Always been for Mercedes, and I bet for Austrian Toto Wolff too.

Don't think they start their day at 9 or 10, and then have a pint for lunch in the pub.

You would be very hard pushed to find 2/3rd of the team not British,while I know you are talking ownership the actual engineers and leaders in the key roles are vast majority British and have been for many years 

as is the case in all but two F1 teams Ferrari and Torro Rosso

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

Will be interesting to see, when times get tough, when push comes to shove, when shit hits the fan, who calls the shots and who holds who accountable.

Go find some funding eh? Run along now.. 

That seems more certain than Grant raising money for a successful home defence. 

nice to see his response to the INEOS announcement, “poor me poor me… “ getting the excuses in again for going overseas.  Grant won’t want the snags burning at the fund raiser, off you pop.

8 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

what Mercedes F1 brings is organizational expertise, attention to detail, professionalism, logistics expertise, human resource management, maybe PR.

But no actual sailing, or sail boat design, or sail making design skills? You know, all those things you need to actually win the Cup.

5 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

But no actual sailing, or sail boat design, or sail making design skills? You know, all those things you need to actually win the Cup.

Yeah, what a stupid decision they made not to have any of those. Except of course they didn't. 

13 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

As I said before, you should mail Jim and tell him 

1 hour ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Aerodynamics is only a subset of fluid dynamics.  Not sure a F1 designer has a wide enough grasp.

First off, your basic premise is rubbish. Fluid dynamics are fluid dynamics. An F1 designer has more than enough knowledge to make a serious difference. In fact, if you look at past design teams in the AC, there were usually ex F1 people somewhere in the design teams.

However, that misses the biggest reason why your comment is so misguided. have you read the CV of Geoffrey Willis, one of the key Mercedes people? To quote In 1987, he made his first step into the world of competition engineering by joining the design group of Peter de Savary's Blue Arrow America's Cup Challenge. Here, he spent the next three years working on keel and hull design, in addition to testing and developing computational fluid dynamics (CFD) tools.

Do you think he might have some idea about translating how they design cars to boats?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Terry Hollis said:

It says "Martin Fischer (GER) Head of Design Concept", a bit like he was with ETNZ, disappears after the concept has been agreed or not.

Well spotted, but my feeling is they want to leave in no doubt that Geoffrey Willis is their technical Director, and will be in charge. That said, the Mercedes F1 Team (company) seem to strive for an open but very disciplined team culture, and German born and educated (Hamburg Uni) Fischer, will probably fit right in.

Note: written before I saw the excellent interview above.

Edited by Fiji Bitter
Note
1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

That seems more certain than Grant raising money for a successful home defence. 

nice to see his response to the INEOS announcement, “poor me poor me… “ getting the excuses in again for going overseas.  Grant won’t want the snags burning at the fund raiser, off you pop.

Last time I checked, AC36 was in Auckland, and Grant successfully defended so...

Better  go ask INEOS how to win the AC... oh wait.

2 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Your comment completely misses my point. What I said was:

"I suspect that F1 is years ahead in CFD technology and wind tunnel expertise compared to any AC team since there is so much money chasing small improvements so they should be able to help with the sail and aero package even if they do nothing below the water.

However, even if they don't help with the actual design what Mercedes F1 brings is organizational expertise, attention to detail, professionalism, logistics expertise, human resource management, maybe PR. These are all areas where Mercedes F1 is on a whole different level compared to any AC team."

Many of you are missing the point.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Mercedes Formula 1 engineers are excellent naval architects. However, we know from previous experience (see LTCM) that a bunch of geniuses (even Nobel Laureates) is not a recipe for success unless they are properly organized. Someone (almost certainly not a subject matter expert like a Nobel Laureate) needs to decide who reports to whom, decide who does what, establish a culture, etc.

The Mercedes Formula 1 team is almost 1500 personnel. Their estimated budget in 2019was $442 million. Think about that for a moment. A good AC budget would be $100-150mm for a cycle (3-4 years) so Mercedes F1 is spending at least 4x that. They have won seven consecutive world championships in a row in the most competitive, most expensive sport on the planet. A sport in which you must show up with the best equipment otherwise it is hopeless. Also, a sport in which even with the best equipment it is hopeless unless you have the best team. Does this sound familiar? Perhaps there is something to learn?

Try these (each less than 60 seconds) in which different functions describe, in 60 seconds or less, what they do. There are FOURTEEN of these so far. So compare that to the precious media presence of your Prada or ETNZ or AM.

Toto Wolff Team Principal (just for example) to see what the principal does, and does not, do: 

Some random aero performance engineer 

Chief Nerd (as he describes himself)

It goes on. 

13 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

This is quite a key point - the F1 aero guys are very smart but they are working within and to a set of rules that are applicable to cars and their needs.

What they may not bring with them is the more fundamental understanding of what a racing yacht is all about, and the myriad of specific conflicts that arise from having to work in the interface of wind and water.  I rather doubt that they will have enough design time to really get up to speed on this.  Unless of course the event all gets delayed as nobody seems to want to hold it!

2 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

I do not agree that fluid dynamics are fluid dynamics." In fact, I think that fluid dynamics for compressible matter (air) are different than fluid dynamics for incompressible matter (liquid) at the velocities and pressures we deal with in the real world. I have no idea how CFD works in plasma, but I am also reasonably confident that no matter what the protocol conditions are the boats will not be racing in plasma.

2 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

You would be very hard pushed to find 2/3rd of the team not British,while I know you are talking ownership the actual engineers and leaders in the key roles are vast majority British and have been for many years 

as is the case in all but two F1 teams Ferrari and Torro Rosso

Even Renault had the team HQ in England. 

18 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

Many of you are missing the point.

I think many points are being missed by some people, including

1) Ineos have not said they are just using Mer/AMG people and doing away with all yacht/sail designers

2) Until a few years ago, yacht designers tended to know the square root of bugger all about asymmetric lifting foils in water. Merc will have a different viewpoint and expertise but they certainly aren't far behind

3) Diversity of input produces better outcomes rather than groupthink

4) Not only is the Merc/AMG almost entirely British; and so are most of the rest of the F1 manufacturers; but also most of the worlds racing cars (not sure what it is now but at one point it was 2/3 of all racing cars were designed within a 40m radius of Silverstone IIRC); but the UK is a leading centre for complex technical and engineering in many other fields (e.g. defence, aerospace, AI, satellites)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

If recent history (1851-present) is any guide then actual sailing or sail making design skills don't matter until the last six months of a 3 year program. The first two and a half years are different skills in the sense of management including the hiring and organizing the best design, engineering and sailing teams.

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

Last time I checked, AC36 was in Auckland, and Grant successfully defended so...

Better  go ask INEOS how to win the AC... oh wait.

Living in the past still 

how’s the coffers looking for ac37

Prada? INEOS? Alinghi? Yup they all have their houses in order?
GD, Looking a bit shakey..  fire up the suausage sizzle and the bake sale, Grants coming for your cash..  halal sausages though eh;-) can’t got offending the title sponsor. 

The extra complexity of yachts over car racing is that you are not only dealing with fluid dynamics, but fluid dynamics of two very different fluids, and the interaction between them, as well as between them and the platform. The increase in complexity is significant, and not to be taken lightly.

The scary thing here is that with all this brain power and the funds to use it, the cost of entering the AC has just gone up a notch as GD is trying to get it down. Needs major changes or where ever it happens, it won't have many challengers, will have a defender full of excuses, and the F1 guys involved will quickly look at each other and ask what the point was.

Someone else made the point up-thread about Merc and F1 in general not just being focussed on aero(fluid?)dynamics but also highly complex and lightweight hydraulic and electronic control systems. IMO this expertise on it's own could be a Cup winner for an AC team - the complexity of the appendage and sail control systems on these boats has increased exponentially in the past few cup cycles and this a field that F1 teams are surely years ahead in? 

Being more specific to the INEOS/Merc pairing, I think the management structure of the Merc team being bought over into the INEOS operation would be hugely beneficial. From what I've heard it was a close call between INEOS and AM for having the least homogenous team structure and that has a pretty clear correlation with the overall results....

17 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

What difference does it make? He owns sailing boats, I think he had a small J109 or similar. He also owns bicycles and has a cycling team, and he once kicked a football so owns a football team.

43 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

And there is another point missed by some

Dan Bernasconi came from Maclaren F1. Given that some on here would have you believe that they completely different fields, the boy's not done bad.

Whoops, a tad inconvenient for the naysayers.

1 hour ago, Chimp too said:

The scary thing here is that with all this brain power and the funds to use it, the cost of entering the AC has just gone up a notch as GD is trying to get it down. Needs major changes or where ever it happens, it won't have many challengers, will have a defender full of excuses, and the F1 guys involved will quickly look at each other and ask what the point was.

True. If this works for Ineos and they win then it could price NZ out of the game. 

Ineos/Merc for a sevenpeat? ;)

5 hours ago, SimonN said:

Fluid dynamics are fluid dynamics. 

Not really. Since the equations don't in general have closed solutions, simplifications are made. Compressible versus incompressible. Viscous versus non-viscous. 

3 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

And there is another point missed by some

Dan Bernasconi came from Maclaren F1. Given that some on here would have you believe that they completely different fields, the boy's not done bad.

Not missed, everyone here knows Dan's background. Two cup teams before ETNZ, then 7 years with ETNZ before winning it. So he'd been in the race yacht design business for a long time before he was successful.

However, Mercedes are going to short cut that timeline and win the cup on their first full try eh?

Maybe Dan Benasconi coming from F1 and being given the freedom to write the class rules was the problem. He created a sailing version of F1. 
I don’t take the blame from the defender for creating a crazy expensive class. They have to completely own that. But INEOS have to be scaring others off and pushing the price of entry even higher!

• Like 1
Just now, Horn Rock said:

Not missed, everyone here knows Dan's background. Two cup teams before ETNZ, then 7 years with ETNZ before winning it. So he'd been in the race yacht design business for a long time before he was successful.

However, Mercedes are going to short cut that timeline and win the cup on their first full try eh?

Alone? Of course not. But as an adjunct to all the yacht designers and sail designers and everyone else? Who knows

4 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Alone? Of course not. But as an adjunct to all the yacht designers and sail designers and everyone else? Who knows

Continuity is critical, keeping your key personnel, developing your IP - something ETNZ have done very well. Seems to me is that Ineos is still evolving with respect to those things. Lots of new guys coming in - new design team. There is carry over from their last effort - the simulator etc.... 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Horn Rock said:

Continuity is critical, keeping your key personnel, developing your IP - something ETNZ have done very well. Seems to me is that Ineos is still evolving with respect to those things. Lots of new guys coming in - new design team. There is carry over from their last effort - the simulator etc.... 

AFAIK they are keeping most of their existing staff.

I guess one question is whether TNZ can afford to keep their team going this time

1 minute ago, enigmatically2 said:

I guess one question is whether TNZ can afford to keep their team going this time

They were advertising for new staff last week, so there must be some money there to keep things going. GD wouldn't commit to designing the new AC40 if he was that cash strapped. I've a feeling GD is looking a fair way ahead with respect to money, but short term he has enough to keep the lights on.

Everyone keeps saying how expensive these boats are. I can't imagine an 80ft non foiling mono, possibly with canting keel, is going to be that much cheaper. A bit simpler without the FCS, but a bigger sail ward-rope - spinnakers etc.....People would spend the same money. 

• Like 1

they will spend what they can to win, its that simple, be that defender or challenger.

the 40ft thing though, at what point does someone in NZ suggest that to keep things in budget/workable that we race for the cup in those not the 75s and hope that JIm doesn't object/issue a DOG challenge 

6 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

at what point does someone in NZ suggest that to keep things in budget/workable that we race for the cup in those not the 75s and hope that JIm doesn't object/issue a DOG challenge 

Not GD's style to pull that sort of thing. Can't wait to see the 40s though - will be a pretty cool boat I'm thinking.

7 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

they will spend what they can to win, its that simple, be that defender or challenger.

the 40ft thing though, at what point does someone in NZ suggest that to keep things in budget/workable that we race for the cup in those not the 75s and hope that JIm doesn't object/issue a DOG challenge 

Well unless they propose it before the protocol is agreed then it wouldn't need to be a DOG challenge. 

An of course GD won't slip the protocol date because that would be underhand

I still haven't gotten an Explanation from the "MERCEDES HATERS" on this Board why INEOS had been able to make that big jump from being a slow Dog at the 2020 Christmas Regatta to win the Prada Cup Round Robins.

That can't be just down to Sailing the Boat well.

Given how much expertise Mercedes and F1 Teams in General have when it comes to "Control Systems" I would put it down to the Foils and to the Systems controlling that Twin Skin Mainsail.

@dg_sailingfanplease could you stop supporting the Mercedes tie-up. It makes me worry it's a bad idea.

And ffs don't carry on this stupid habit of 4idiot whereby anyone who disagrees, casts doubt or says anything negative is described as a "hater". Such a ridiculously narrow minded and inane way of thinking

This will be fascinating. Experience tells us that teams take time to come together for complex engineering projects and this is a most dangerous situation were America's Cup seems like F1 but might totally not be. This is likely to cause a culture clash, because it always does, but you have to think that Ben Ainslie  vs the F1 leadership is going to be the big wildcard here. My feeling is that in the end a Mercedes F1 AC team would be extremely strong, but it might take more than one cup cycle to get there, and definitely will involve a proper leadership structure where the helm is not also the CEO or a technical leader.

More on Merc's involvement

https://the-race.com/formula-1/inside-mercedes-bid-to-take-its-f1-genius-onto-the-water/

“But probably areas which are harder for America’s Cup teams to do, but are the meat and drink of an F1 team, are the systems that we have in place to know if you want to put a hydraulic pipe down a certain length of something, how far away you have to keep all the other things so it doesn’t fret on the pipe and how often down the pipe you need to support it so it doesn’t bounce around too much.

“And the type of equipment that we have to inspect stuff so that we know that what we designed is what we built and we’re assembling.- 

“All of the design standards that have been painfully learned and written into procedure in a team like the F1 team, which can then be picked up and used by the community of engineers that is INEOS Britannia.

“That sort of stuff is pretty valuable if you want all your good hydrodynamic and aerodynamic ideas to come true, things that are coming from the experienced marine folk on a team backed up by the capable bodies that are working with them.

“We’re not making hardware at the moment, the Cup isn’t for a while and so the people that will be making bits will be making prototypes a little bit downstream from here and test rigs and the like and then move on to making boat stuff later on.

“So at the moment, the type of people from the F1 world that are involved are some aerodynamicist type guys, some performance simulation type guys, software type guys, planners.”

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, chesirecat said:

More on Merc's involvement

https://the-race.com/formula-1/inside-mercedes-bid-to-take-its-f1-genius-onto-the-water/

“But probably areas which are harder for America’s Cup teams to do, but are the meat and drink of an F1 team, are the systems that we have in place to know if you want to put a hydraulic pipe down a certain length of something, how far away you have to keep all the other things so it doesn’t fret on the pipe and how often down the pipe you need to support it so it doesn’t bounce around too much.

“And the type of equipment that we have to inspect stuff so that we know that what we designed is what we built and we’re assembling.- 

“All of the design standards that have been painfully learned and written into procedure in a team like the F1 team, which can then be picked up and used by the community of engineers that is INEOS Britannia.

“That sort of stuff is pretty valuable if you want all your good hydrodynamic and aerodynamic ideas to come true, things that are coming from the experienced marine folk on a team backed up by the capable bodies that are working with them.

Also:

"“The full gamut of electronics, data acquisition sensors, for pretty much everything that makes up the backbone of an F1 team you could find some parts of an America’s Cup boat that they could work on and be excited by."

"The planning functions of F1 teams are highly advanced, experienced in managing complex projects on seemingly impossible timescales and this will be hugely beneficial for the America’s Cup team in terms of maximising the design and development time and ensuring parts are manufactured on time and to a high standard...Having the planners who can show you what the critical path is so that you can then deploy material and folks in that direction, that’s really key."

2 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

Also:

"“The full gamut of electronics, data acquisition sensors, for pretty much everything that makes up the backbone of an F1 team you could find some parts of an America’s Cup boat that they could work on and be excited by."

"The planning functions of F1 teams are highly advanced, experienced in managing complex projects on seemingly impossible timescales and this will be hugely beneficial for the America’s Cup team in terms of maximising the design and development time and ensuring parts are manufactured on time and to a high standard...Having the planners who can show you what the critical path is so that you can then deploy material and folks in that direction, that’s really key."

Yep.

Merc came in when B2 was committed along with, presumably, significant foil building. They must have identified quite quickly, then have it reinforced in Auckland what needed changing, ie the "time machine" quote. Jim R clearly knew as much on their final day of racing, so the machinery of change was already in place then.

10 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Everyone keeps saying how expensive these boats are. I can't imagine an 80ft non foiling mono, possibly with canting keel, is going to be that much cheaper. A bit simpler without the FCS, but a bigger sail ward-rope - spinnakers etc.....People would spend the same money. 

The 80ft conventional mono would also have a bigger crew with associated costs, the A75 is likely to reduce the crew by using more batteries so will make additional savings.

• Like 2