Stars and Stripes Team USA is gone

17 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

For sure! 

I had that plot handy and posted it but back at the time posted all kinds of VMG plots, speed curves through tacks and gybes, even links to the database for download from Dropbox - including example queries so interested folks could ask about just about anything they wanted to, out of the data. Like NeedAC points out, the SGP teams are heavily into analysis of the same data, it’s a goldmine. 

FourHimSelf likes to denigrate the free data provided during the AC35 cycle, and to denigrate my fun exercise too, but to snark him back? 

That data provided more, deadly accurate, answers to a wide array of fun performance facts than whatever nonsense FHimself has ever provided. One was useful, one was not, and the contrast was stunning. :D 

Like I said, I'm not denigrating the data at all. Just your interpretation. You keep using the word "fun" but the word you should be using the word troll, because thats what you're doing (or trying to do). 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's this type of spite that got the fucktard elected in the first place... 

I just love how so many commentors from countries with still far from controlled Covid outbreaks wrecking their economies seem to think that NZ somehow has a more severe economic issue than their own.

No hurt feelings at all just further confirmation that your primary pleasure in life is talking shit, don't worry about me I've got a life.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, barfy said:

I'll bet spitty's heads in a different space this time...he'll be dangerous.

Agreed... LR has plenty of people with idea... OTUSA demonstrated they didn't

1507497707610.thumb.jpg.64c8ff9d32658c64350030c66c6314e3.jpg

oracle-team-usas-gave-their-best-effort.jpg.5f8d16a2ad869e5a523fd636a51ac19a.jpg

7 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Like I said, I'm not denigrating the data at all. Just your interpretation. You keep using the word "fun" but the word you should be using the word troll, because thats what you're doing (or trying to do). 

Bullshit, you have repeatedly denigrated that I took advantage of data made freely-available to create a fun (and extremely accurate) database of the performance by every boat, in every race, on every leg, through every turn, with AWS, AWA, VMG, etc. What those facts produced was a far cry from the only input you had, which was and still is typically factless trolling. 

Have no fear since I may choose to build an answer-machine for AC36 too, in an AC36 Performance Topic thread.

Am so looking forward to hearing what your contribution will be :D 

1 hour ago, rh3000 said:

Agreed... LR has plenty of people with idea... OTUSA demonstrated they didn't

1507497707610.thumb.jpg.64c8ff9d32658c64350030c66c6314e3.jpg

oracle-team-usas-gave-their-best-effort.jpg.5f8d16a2ad869e5a523fd636a51ac19a.jpg

And not being the top dog with the camo wheel, but an employee who's tenure depends on results rather than publicity photos, puts the pressure on him to pull his head in and be a team member.

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Bullshit, you have repeatedly denigrated that I took advantage of data made freely-available to create a fun (and extremely accurate) database of the performance by every boat, in every race, on every leg, through every turn, with AWS, AWA, VMG, etc. What those facts produced was a far cry from the only input you had, which was and still is typically factless trolling. 

Have no fear since I may choose to build an answer-machine for AC36 too, in an AC36 Performance Topic thread.

You keep saying, it’s a fun database. The database doesn’t show what you say it shows. You said the data proves Oracle was the faster of the two boats in the America’s Cup match and that ETNZs win a purely a fluke that they got the the lightest weather of that month. You denigrate the achievement that the Kiwi’s pulled off and are trying to back that up with some useless data that you think shows Speed over the ground is the most important aspect because that’s how one boat is determined to be faster than another. It is blatantly and factually incorrect, and it is out of touch with reality, as you are if you think your “fun” little database shows anything other than Oracle being clearly the slower boat of the two.

16 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

So is there a Skydance mockumentary coming out called "The Data Gods"?

Seriously, can you look at your fundata and report the longest duration peak speeds for each team...x kt for T seconds?  Gives some perspective.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Breaking news. Canfield "pausing" AC prep for Gold Cup.  Will the madness ever end?

http://mobile.royalgazette.com/sailing/article/20201007/canfield-heads-gold-cup-line-up&template=mobileart

What a chump.

7 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Seriously, can you look at your fundata and report the longest duration peak speeds for each team...x kt for T seconds?  Gives some perspective.

Yes! 

FHS’s argument is about the definition of ‘fastest.’ OR was most definitely ‘fastest’ in terms of peek speed in the AC35 Match races, but never hit the speeds that AR and TJ did during the earlier knockouts rounds of the CSS. 

‘Fastest’ can mean a lot of things, exactly as my data analysis so explicitly shows, even by that simplest of charts, it stares you in the face. One boat was fastest top-speed wise, the slower boat was ‘fastest’ around the track - which is obviously what matters most! 

FHimSelf can create his own database to compete with mine, any time he wants, I will fact check his version for accuracy any time too :D    

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

Yes! 

FHS’s argument is about the definition of ‘fastest.’ OR was most definitely ‘fastest’ in terms of peek speed in the AC35 Match races, but never hit the speeds that AR and TJ did during the earlier knockouts rounds of the CSS. 

‘Fastest’ can mean a lot of things, exactly as my data analysis so explicitly shows, even by that simplest of charts, it stares you in the face. One boat was fastest top-speed wise, the slower boat was ‘fastest’ around the track - which is obviously what matters most! 

FHimSelf can create his own database to compete with mine, any time he wants, I will fact check his version for accuracy any time too :D    

Sorry Stingray I really don't know where you're coming from here. The AC like any race series is about best VMG around the course/track set. ETNZ won because it consistantly achieved the best VMG end of discussion.

Top speed is useless if it's in the wrong direction....a drag car is faster than an F1, but it can't corner, so on a GP course it's a waste of space, bit like your database when it's applied to an AC course.

An interesting exercise would be to compile a database showing the relative VMG's achieved on all legs of the races. We all know whose was best over the full course for the majority of the races sailed, but where were the big gains made, upwind, downwind and in what wind speeds?

Fancy trying to compile that database? Sorry but I don't have the time, but I'd be very interested to see it.

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

So, that'll be the wind then. No wait...

6 minutes ago, Woolfy said:

Sorry Stingray I really don't know where you're coming from here. The AC like any race series is about best VMG around the course/track set. ETNZ won because it consistantly achieved the best VMG end of discussion.

Top speed is useless if it's in the wrong direction....a drag car is faster than an F1, but it can't corner, so on a GP course it's a waste of space, bit like your database when it's applied to an AC course.

An interesting exercise would be to compile a database showing the relative VMG's achieved on all legs of the races. We all know whose was best over the full course for the majority of the races sailed, but where were the big gains made, upwind, downwind and in what wind speeds?

Fancy trying to compile that database? Sorry but I don't have the time, but I'd be very interested to see it.

Agreed!

’Fastest’ is a loose term but straight-line speed is the question most often asked, especially in the media. 

4 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Yes! 

Peek speed is irrelevant because its subjective to the wind conditions each boat had at the time of record.

ETNZ can have higher average speeds, they can be faster through maneuvers and have better VMG around the track, but if Oracle hits a wind gust for an instant that puts their peek speed above that of ETNZ that makes them faster? Nope, thats not how it works.

Your fun little database is useless as long as you continue to read it wrong like you are. I'm not dissing the database. Data is data, its the person interpreting that can create the issues.

Take Trump for example, he has the same Covid 19 data as Dr Fauci, but somehow Trumps interpretation of the data is completely different to the interpretation of the person who is an expert in the field in which the data has been compiled.

While to most people the data coming out of the US shows the US as one of the worst affected nations on Earth, Trump thinks they have the lowest infection rate and the lowest death toll in the world, and that now that he has recovered, Covid 19 is no longer a problem in America.

Thats what I'm talking about. Data doesn't change, interpretations and misrepresentations are the determining factor. 

You my friend have chosen to misrepresent the data.

On 10/9/2020 at 7:51 PM, Stingray~ said:

Yes! 

I ask if you can report the longestvduration peak speeds. You say yes! But don't.

On 10/9/2020 at 12:45 PM, NeedAClew said:

So your response is a sidestep.  How about: Oracle 34 kt 15 sec, NZ 32 kt 20 sec, or such? I just made those up, btw.  Same as I don't get all dewy eyed thinking about an SGP "record" that lasted maybe a second, I think duration matters. Presumably there is a VMG correlation because if you look at a decent interval, hopefully they had the pointy ends pointed in a helpful direction. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Woolfy said:

Over the 9 races in BDA, OR-Xerox had a marginally higher Average Speed in only 2 races:

Race 6 which they won, 26.71kts Vs ETNZ 26.65kts

Race 9 which they lost, 25.91kts Vs ETNZ 25.56

ETNZ drowned them in the other 7 races...

• Like 1
On 10/9/2020 at 7:59 AM, barfy said:

I'll bet spitty's heads in a different space this time...he'll be dangerous.

Maybe, it would make it more interesting if that happened.

I think he is too old now, not trying to be nasty but you don't see any old fighter pilots for a reason.

14 hours ago, Indio said:

Over the 9 races in BDA, OR-Xerox had a marginally higher Average Speed in only 2 races:

Race 6 which they won, 26.71kts Vs ETNZ 26.65kts

Race 9 which they lost, 25.91kts Vs ETNZ 25.56

ETNZ drowned them in the other 7 races...

It’s amazing that you still think the Xerox joke is clever. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, astro said:

Maybe, it would make it more interesting if that happened.

I think he is too old now, not trying to be nasty but you don't see any old fighter pilots for a reason.

Spitty is probably at the same stage as Barker in 2003; he's just the Uber driver now, not the big cheese calling the shots in AC35, which might free him up to drive it like he stole it. 

• Like 1
On 10/9/2020 at 9:07 PM, Forourselves said:

You my friend have chosen to misrepresent the data.

Nope! The plot I posted, simple as it is, clearly shows who hit the higher top speeds on the reach, the L2 downwind, the L3 upwind, etc. It also makes blatantly obvious the disparity through turns, where ETNZ absolutely dominated.

Again, build your own database, one that can perfectly matches the metrics they show on TV, before dissing mine, dumbass. 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Nope! The plot I posted, simple as it is, clearly shows who hit the higher top speeds on the reach, the L2 downwind, the L3 upwind, etc. It also makes blatantly obvious the disparity through turns, where ETNZ absolutely dominated.

Again, build your own database, one that can perfectly matches the metrics they show on TV, before dissing mine, dumbass. 

Ugh I guess you think top speeds are all that counts, even if it’s in the wrong direction. You can’t win a race if you’re going in the wrong direction - dumbass.

What, in the fuck, is the point, of trying to claim some crown for a boat that lost the only match that mattered?

I LOVED Oracle in 2013, and was warm to them in 2017, but they were outdesigned smartly, not sure what the point is in arguing over cherry picked numbers from a failure. 

NZ found some trick innovations-you can call them cheats or you can call them clever-within the rules to wing in 2017 and that's got us here now.  

Stinger is just holding fast to the claim that something he said was true. 

He has also repeatedly admitted that the overall ETNZ performance was better. 

He has also repeatedly stated that this one aspect of performance (top speed) is not as important as overall performance.   

Hey, just because top speed is not the most important aspect of performance, it is a good thing to have.  It can make a real difference if the rest of your performance is "good enough" to keep you in contention.

Even though numerous EFBs (Emirate Fan Boys) have slagged on what Stinger stated, not one has produced a single shred of information that refutes his position.

Given how Stinger came up with his assertion, all of the EFB responses remind me of the slagging about how Trump responds to "science".

Are any EFBs going to produce some new "fact" (that does not seem to exist). 

Since we all know that this is not going to happen, when are the EFBs going to admit that what he said was a valid simple factual evaluation of one single aspect of performance.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

You know, it would've been much easier if @Stingray~ had've said Oracle had a couple of higher peak speeds, which of course are subject to wind conditions at the time. Thats what the data shows, which as we know does NOT make them a faster boat as he claimed it did.

But he didn't did he.

His claim was simply "Oracle were faster than ETNZ in Bermuda and that the slower boat won the Cup"

That was it, thats all it was.

He was called out on it, and was rightly shot down, because in no way does the data show or support that claim in any way. Then tried to say "But let me have fun" lol

Next time, just say what everyone else here already knows. ETNZ were faster than Oracle, it was obvious, the data supports that conclusion, end of story.

Oracle had a couple of higher peak speeds, but that in no way makes them a faster boat.

But nope, his mate SD is MIA so he's keeping up the troll posts in his absence.

On 10/6/2020 at 2:50 PM, Lickindip said:

fight you buggers !!!

but at least use some stats ... http://www.cupinfo.com/cupstats/cupstats-americas-cup-2017-race-stats-01.php

Avg SOG

race1

NZL 22.6 - USA 21.5

NZL by 30sec

race2

NZL 23.2 - USA 21.3

NZL by 1min27

race3

NZL 28.5 - USA 27.7

NZL by 48sec

race4

NZL 26.5 - USA 26.1

NZL by 1min11

race5

NZL 27.4 - USA 25.9

NZL by 2min04

race6

NZL 26.6 - USA 26.7

USA by 11sec

race7

NZL 24.4 - USA 24.8

NZL by 11sec

race8

NZL 25.6 - USA 25.9

NZL by 30sec

race9

NZL 23.6 - USA 23

NZL by 54sec

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Forourselves said:

You know, it would've been much easier if @Stingray~ had've said Oracle had a couple of higher peak speeds, which of course are subject to wind conditions at the time. Thats what the data shows, which as we know does NOT make them a faster boat as he claimed it did.

But he didn't did he.

His claim was simply "Oracle were faster than ETNZ in Bermuda and that the slower boat won the Cup"

That was it, thats all it was.

He was called out on it, and was rightly shot down, because in no way does the data show or support that claim in any way. Then tried to say "But let me have fun" lol

Next time, just say what everyone else here already knows. ETNZ were faster than Oracle, it was obvious, the data supports that conclusion, end of story.

Oracle had a couple of higher peak speeds, but that in no way makes them a faster boat.

But nope, his mate SD is MIA so he's keeping up the troll posts in his absence.

MIA?  Who do you think P Flados is?

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, barfy said:

I'm sure beginning to wonder...

Sock -check

Acronyms - check

Replying to self - check

Too much time - check check

Sock - Nope.  Been posting here for a long time.  I even post in a thread where real people know most all of the other posters as real people.  And socks do not tend to use their real last name.

Acronyms - Yep.  Just part of the fun

Replying to self - I don't think so.  The ample supply of DDD (Dedicated Dalton Disciple) posts give me plenty to respond to. 

Too much time - Check Check Check.  I am retired and it has gotten too cold to throw the UFO into the water.  Covid has kept me home bound way too much.

Enough of the SD discussion.  I enjoyed the way some of his stuff was reasonable poking at the DDD crowd, but a lot of what he said was obviously just BS.  I do not condone excessive fact twisting even when it is aimed at people that I tend to spar with.

1 hour ago, Flippin Out said:

We've now seen Ineos & AM B2's and LR is due for reveal Tuesday, but does anyone know when S+S is due to launch their B2 ?

When TeAihe broke a pedestal, the S+S guys filed their "business interruption" insurance claim, having intended to use her, took the money, and went surfing.

Feik news but as plausible as any....

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Wait, FHimself said there’d be 6 Challengers, wth happened? :D

Quite a lot has happened in the two years since... did you not notice?

But congrats on such a victory! ;-)

21 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Quite a lot has happened in the two years since... did you not notice?

FHimself was, in this thread too, a coolaid believer in S+S making it, even long past it becoming blatantly obvious that time had long since run out. Did you not notice? 

Iirc, the smart ones here selected 3 in that vote, yes 2 years ago. 

LATEST NEWS: 

20 MAR 2019
CANFIELD: CREATING OPPORTUNITIES AND BUILDING A FRESH AMERICAN TEAM

© MATT KNIGHTON
With less than 2 years until the 36th America’s Cup presented by Prada, we caught up with Stars + Stripes Helmsman, Taylor Canfield, in the midst of team tryouts in Long Beach, CA to ask about the latest:

You launched the open tryout process looking to find the best athletes in America for Stars + Stripes. What can you tell us about what the process is yielding?

"We are extremely satisfied with the foiling camps. While we are sailing GC32 catamarans which will be quite different to the AC75, this foiling platform has allowed us to evaluate the skills, fitness, and decision making needed to become a member of Stars + Stripes. We have also seen how everyone operates in a team environment and how people react to high pressure situations at high speeds."

What has struck you the most seeing all the athletes who are applying? Have you watched all the submissions?

"I have been keeping up with all the application videos that have come in (not an easy task given the mass of qualified people that have applied) and I love the enthusiasm everyone has shown! We have set up this team to create opportunities for American sailing. It seems the public agrees that it is time for a change. We need more Americans at the top level of the sport."

How is the team balancing recruiting for speed vs. power in the tryouts? What are you looking for onboard the AC75?

"The team has divided our tryouts into two general roles. We have the speed team that is aimed towards athletes who will be responsible for roles such as helmsman, flight controller, trimmers, etc. and the power team that will be primarily providing the power to the boat through grinding on the pedestals. All athletes trying out are put through the same vigorous fitness testing" 

You’ve never raced in the AC and most of the people trying out haven’t either. Is that good or bad?

"I don’t believe there is a disadvantage to not having competed in the America’s Cup previously. The AC75 we will be racing is like nothing we have seen before. We have the ability to build a fresh American team with no expectations that prioritizes teamwork over individuals. We will of course also be adding in athletes with America’s Cup experience and can really help develop our team into becoming a strong unit."

Any message for those still applying to be on the team?

There is still time to get those applications in! Be sure to tell your friends!

====================================================

IMHO they owe apologies to those whose time they wasted.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

LATEST NEWS: 

20 MAR 2019
CANFIELD: CREATING OPPORTUNITIES AND BUILDING A FRESH AMERICAN TEAM

© MATT KNIGHTON
With less than 2 years until the 36th America’s Cup presented by Prada, we caught up with Stars + Stripes Helmsman, Taylor Canfield, in the midst of team tryouts in Long Beach, CA to ask about the latest:

You launched the open tryout process looking to find the best athletes in America for Stars + Stripes. What can you tell us about what the process is yielding?

"We are extremely satisfied with the foiling camps. While we are sailing GC32 catamarans which will be quite different to the AC75, this foiling platform has allowed us to evaluate the skills, fitness, and decision making needed to become a member of Stars + Stripes. We have also seen how everyone operates in a team environment and how people react to high pressure situations at high speeds."

What has struck you the most seeing all the athletes who are applying? Have you watched all the submissions?

"I have been keeping up with all the application videos that have come in (not an easy task given the mass of qualified people that have applied) and I love the enthusiasm everyone has shown! We have set up this team to create opportunities for American sailing. It seems the public agrees that it is time for a change. We need more Americans at the top level of the sport."

How is the team balancing recruiting for speed vs. power in the tryouts? What are you looking for onboard the AC75?

"The team has divided our tryouts into two general roles. We have the speed team that is aimed towards athletes who will be responsible for roles such as helmsman, flight controller, trimmers, etc. and the power team that will be primarily providing the power to the boat through grinding on the pedestals. All athletes trying out are put through the same vigorous fitness testing" 

You’ve never raced in the AC and most of the people trying out haven’t either. Is that good or bad?

"I don’t believe there is a disadvantage to not having competed in the America’s Cup previously. The AC75 we will be racing is like nothing we have seen before. We have the ability to build a fresh American team with no expectations that prioritizes teamwork over individuals. We will of course also be adding in athletes with America’s Cup experience and can really help develop our team into becoming a strong unit."

Any message for those still applying to be on the team?

There is still time to get those applications in! Be sure to tell your friends!

====================================================

IMHO they owe apologies to those whose time they wasted.  

Nothing says "LATEST NEWS" like something written 18 months ago... Fuck the apologies, they owe them a shitload of beer and probably a little cash...

• Like 1
On 10/22/2020 at 11:38 AM, Stingray~ said:

FHimself was, in this thread too, a coolaid believer in S+S making it, even long past it becoming blatantly obvious that time had long since run out. Did you not notice? 

Hey, I think it’s great that a staunch kiwi supporter like @Forourselves backed a challenger like that. It’s not his fault the Americans can’t sort their shit out. 

On 10/22/2020 at 11:38 AM, Stingray~ said:

The smart ones know which team had the faster boat in Bermuda, unfortunately you aren't one of the smart ones.

10 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

The smart ones know which team had the faster boat in Bermuda, unfortunately you aren't one of the smart ones.

Crikey Clarkey there you go again you were doing quite well there for a while and now an inevitable revert to type.

8 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Crikey Clarkey there you go again you were doing quite well there for a while and now an inevitable revert to type.

Yep, and still confusing average speed with max speed (which was the point made by the graph from Bermuda) :) 

13 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Crikey S+S have unveiled a radical manual boom and considerably less waterline length than the other competing AC36 syndicates.

WMRT_201026_IR_1685LR.thumb.jpg.363645197b2ac3246200c8e02cfb7ea3.jpg

Perhaps they’re avoiding legal action by the inventor of canting ballast, therefore  winning by default?

7 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Perhaps they’re avoiding legal action by the inventor of canting ballast, therefore  winning by default?

And it looks like they've cunningly camouflaged the Chaves canting slot with a sponsor's logo to avoid a patent-infringement lawsuit :blink:SS_.thumb.jpg.dbdf2626a2bc842e05585e35102b7721.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Monkey said:

Still faster on all points of sail than ETNZ’s boat 1 and 2 at the moment....

Patience grasshopper....I know the anticipation is hard to endure. ;-)

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Patience grasshopper....I know the anticipation is hard to endure. ;-)

Gotta admit the waiting it's bloody exciting kinda like being a kid  waiting for Santa to arrive or middle aged married waiting for sex day...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, XPRO said:

If they win the $30,000 for first place , will there to be a garnishment of wages issue with team NZL for the supposed money still owed on the design package ? (All of this post is in jest)

Really surprised none of the West Coast gazillionaires stepped up to fund the S&S Challenge. They're clearly great sailors, but perhaps not quite-so-good fundraisers. There's always AC37..

So Canfield. Buckley and their team are Open Match Racing World Champs -- and without a boat in AC36 in Auckland.

CANFIELD, TEAM STARS+STRIPES WIN 70th BERMUDA GOLD CUP, 2020 OPEN MATCH RACING WORLDS
Skipper notches third Gold Cup, second Worlds victories

HAMILTON, Bermuda (Oct. 30, 2020) — Skipper Taylor Canfield and Team Stars+Stripes – Mike Buckley, Victor Diaz de Leon, Mike Menninger and Eric Shampain – won the 70th Bermuda Gold Cup and 2020 Open Match Racing World Championship with a penalty-marred victory over Ian Williams’s Team GAC Pindar.

Canfield and crew won three of the four races in winds ranging from 12 to 20 knots on Hamilton Harbour. They showed grit and determination in clawing back from deficits and a killer’s instinct in laying penalties on Williams and crew. They also showed great boatspeed when free and clear on the racecourse.

For Canfield the victory is his third at the Bermuda Gold Cup (2012, ’18) and second Open Match Racing World Championship (2013).

08cb5076-e4af-468e-8fb7-4b79615f9bd4.jpg“It’s unbelievable. I can’t thank my team enough,” said Canfield. “I put us in a lot of tough spots this week and they got us out of almost every one of them. Thanks to Bermuda for getting us here. We’re excited to be out racing again, and to come away with a win is unbelievable. We’re thrilled.”

Canfield and crew accepted the King Edward VII Gold Cup, the sterling silver World Match Tour Championship trophy and the $30,000 winner’s check of the $100,000 prize purse.

Williams and Team GAC Pindar – Christian Kamp, Gerry Mitchell and Richard Sydenham – placed second and won $15,000. Williams, the two-time Gold Cup champion and six-time Open Worlds champion took the loss in stride, but was rueful of the umpire’s calls, whose decisions had an impact on the outcome.

“It’s a lot about styles,” Williams said. “We try to keep the umpires out of the game and (Canfield) likes to bring them into it, and it worked for him today.”

New Zealander Phil Robertson and his China One Ningbo crew – Bradley Farrand, Peter Nicholas, Johanna Thiringer and James Williamson – placed third overall and earned $12,000 after defeating Jeppe Borch’s Borch Racing Team from Denmark in the Petite Final.

I admire the skills and especially the tenacity of Canfield and Buckley. They have chased their dream for years despite massive setbacks. Their PR and marketing effort is non-existent and yet they soldier on -- including the huge setback of suspension of construction in Michigan of the boat they were building for the coming AC.

They invariably keep schtum but it is noteworthy that organisations and individuals they have dealt with say n'owt to denigrate their campaign. That includes their yacht builder, the Long Beach Club, the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron, Emirates Team New Zealand and all the current Challengers. Am I missing something? They remind me of swans, calm and regal on the surface and paddling furiously unseen to reach their goal.

Their only recent news went largely unremarked -- the appointment of Tricia Wilber as Chief Executive Officer, a position Buckley had  previously filled.  Two months ago they announced Wilber will  deliver on the overall management of the brand, team, and business operations. Tricia comes to Stars+Stripes USA after a 19-year career at the Walt Disney Company as Chief Marketing Officer.

Just my guess but I believe we'll see Wilber and her bosses in Auckland pretty soon, along with some new announcements about the team's future.