Stars and Stripes Team USA is gone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's this type of spite that got the fucktard elected in the first place... 

I just love how so many commentors from countries with still far from controlled Covid outbreaks wrecking their economies seem to think that NZ somehow has a more severe economic issue than their own.

No hurt feelings at all just further confirmation that your primary pleasure in life is talking shit, don't worry about me I've got a life.

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Must of been Mr Bean who left that message Matteo.

Dalts confirms their hull only is half built and stalled didn’t he fill you in after the eggs.

For someone who seems to get so pissed off at what I post, even though you have the option to use the "ignore" button, you sure do go out of your way to find something - that I wrote weeks ago, just to start a conversation with Me. I'm flattered...I really am.

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

For someone who seems to get so pissed off at what I post, even though you have the option to use the "ignore" button, you sure do go out of your way to find something - that I wrote weeks ago, just to start a conversation with Me. I'm flattered...I really am.

You tell him Four!!

Oh wait, you guys are arguing about another one of your own posts directed at me - when I don't ever really talk to you. I'm flattered...I really am.

I've been following this with morbid curiosity.  I have to imagine the big donors are on an NDA as are the rest of the team.  It has to be tearing up Cainfield to have to sit back and see what some people are writing/saying.  Clearly there is some degree of hope left in this thing or the word would have been out by now.

Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to know when to walk away.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

I've been following this with morbid curiosity.  I have to imagine the big donors are on an NDA as are the rest of the team.  It has to be tearing up Cainfield to have to sit back and see what some people are writing/saying.  Clearly there is some degree of hope left in this thing or the word would have been out by now.

Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to know when to walk away.

so happy the dutch stopped in time! 

if S+S really want to focus on the next cup they start that campain with the debt of this (failed) one...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Au contraire 4, even your bitch Dalts confirms that S&No$ are fucked.

You however are the only one here that seriously believes Lazarus is a coming to Portsmouth.

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Au contraire 4, even your bitch Dalts confirms that S&No$ are fucked.

You however are the only one here that seriously believes Lazarus is a coming to Portsmouth.

"Dalts confirms that S&No$ are fucked" Link please?

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

"Dalts confirms that S&No$ are fucked" Link please?

There is no link to that comment because he didn't say it. What Dalts did say (on TV1 News) was that S+S  needed money and needed to get moving soon. He also said they were in regular contact with the US team.

29 minutes ago, robberzdog said:

There is no link to that comment because he didn't say it. What Dalts did say (on TV1 News) was that S+S  needed money and needed to get moving soon. He also said they were in regular contact with the US team.

Dalts reply $&No$ boat in build stalled needs to get a rattle = they are fucked spin it any way you want.

If by some miracle of biblical proportions they get out of the shed and row it to Portsmouth nobody seriously would believe they would be anything but a joke.

Loved the response to Prada having a moan about costs "we have spent less than Valencia"

TNZ spent $180 million on Valencia.

Page 13 onwards.

https://www.interest.co.nz/sites/default/files/Assessment of ETNZ Funding.pdf

5 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Dalts reply $&No$ boat in build stalled needs to get a rattle = they are fucked spin it any way you want.

Loved the response to Prada having a moan about costs "we have spent less than Valencia"

Page 13 onwards.

Facts matter. Maybe get them right before you go misquoting people. 

Call it "spin" or call it what ever you want, but until they are out, they are in. 

They're obviously not out yet, even GD said they're "Hanging in there"

Page 13 onwards.

Great find! $180 in pacific pesos (NZD) though.. which the report indicates would have been around USD$100m/125m 

What are budgets being discussed for this time? Ineos claims a US$153m budget right?

So they are spending more than ETNZ did in Valencia...

27 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Crikey Matteo what happened to...

One minute you're tryna spark up conversations with me, now you're posting your bathroom mirror selfies for everyone to see. Dude, keep your nudes to your self would ya!

4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

One minute you're tryna spark up conversations with me, now you're posting your selfies for everyone to see. Dude, keep your nudes to your self would ya!

Iggy wheres my iggy FFS.

4 you.

https://abordage.com/custom-models/custom-sail-boats/ac-75-stars-stripes-usa-custom-model-.html

Take it to Portsmouth and enjoy.

ac-75-stars-stripes-usa-custom-model- (2).jpg

ac-75-stars-stripes-usa-custom-model-.jpg

4 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Iggy wheres my iggy FFS.

4 you.

https://abordage.com/custom-models/custom-sail-boats/ac-75-stars-stripes-usa-custom-model-.html

Well at least no one can say they haven't built a boat.

Anywho. Iggy 4 u. Enjoy the desert your highness.

bgetwebsite_homepage_300x300__event-squa

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Great find! $180 in pacific pesos (NZD) though.. which the report indicates would have been around USD$100m/125m 

What are budgets being discussed for this time? Ineos claims a US$153m budget right?

So they are spending more than ETNZ did in Valencia...

Sure Dalts is not speaking with forked tongue.

No great bucket loads of public loot this time round so no onus on transparency.

21 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

No great bucket loads of public loot this time round so no onus on transparency.

The NZ government put $33.75 million toward the 2007 challenge$36 million toward the 2013 challenge and this time are tipping in $100 million for the defence. I don't know what rates as "bucket loads" but $100 million isn't small change. ;-)

• Like 1

I haven't and don't intend on reading the rules in sufficient detail.  Is there anything in there stopping American Magic from "building" a boat 1.5 and giving it to Stars & Stripes?  Its not as if it hasn't been done before:

Oracle --> Japan
ETNZ --> Luna Rossa
One Australia --> Sid Fischer

7 minutes ago, RobG said:

The NZ government put $33.75 million toward the 2007 challenge$36 million toward the 2013 challenge and this time are tipping in $100 million for the defence. I don't know what rates as "bucket loads" but $100 million isn't small change. ;-)

That public loot is circa $250m and is for the event and infrastructure not for TNZ.

The Freudian slip from Dalts is we "have" spent less than Valencia.

Is that spent to date.

23 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

That loot is for infrastructure not for TNZ

Neither of the challenges mentioned was in NZ so zero infrastructure there. Given the paucity of challengers this time around, the infrastructure spend should be way less than expected so there should be shitload left over or stuffed in a hollow log somewhere. ;-)

I guess the point is that there is very little transparency anyway.

Also, ETNZ apparently spent very nearly $180 million on the San Francisco challenge, $36 million of that from the NZ government. There are apparently reports here, but not easy to find.

1 hour ago, RobG said:

Neither of the challenges mentioned was in NZ so zero infrastructure there. Given the paucity of challengers this time around, the infrastructure spend should be way less than expected so there should be shitload left over or stuffed in a hollow log somewhere. ;-)

I guess the point is that there is very little transparency anyway.

Also, ETNZ apparently spent very nearly $180 million on the San Francisco challenge, $36 million of that from the NZ government. There are apparently reports here, but not easy to find.

Rob the central government and local government loot is not simply handed over to TNZ in a paper bag.

The event management is stand alone from TNZ for some transparency reasons and would be subject to scrutiny a quick trip to the Viaduct shows up the infrastructure.

Wether the whole 250 is scoffed up we will have to wait and see.

I am not sure of the amount TNZ has received from the public purse for this cycle. 

2 hours ago, RobG said:

it does show they've continually invested and seem comfortable to continue doing so. they must be happy with the ROI and i dont blame them, they persevere and get national backing, the country seems fine with it and i dont blame them. the citizens let them know what they want, and if they didn't want it they wouldn't spend the money. they are the chairman of the board so to speak.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, bigrpowr said:

it does show they've continually invested and seem comfortable to continue doing so. they must be happy with the ROI and i dont blame them, they persevere and get national backing, the country seems fine with it and i dont blame them. the citizens let them know what they want, and if they didn't want it they wouldn't spend the money. they are the chairman of the board so to speak.

Crikey you seem to be labouring under the misconception that NZ is some utopian pinup for democratic freedom and transparency and the public actually gets a choice in these matters.

The cost benefit has been severely tilted by some creative forecasting and is now unfortunately spilt milk.

The bricks and mortar legacy for the public amounts to some extra wharf space improved storm water management and very little else for their $250m koha.

https://www.business.auckland.ac.nz/en/about/news-and-media/nz-herald-brand-insights/2018/americas-cup-overblown.html

Just now, Priscilla said:

Crikey you seem to be labouring under the misconception that NZ is some utopian pinup for democratic freedom and transparency and the public actually gets a choice in these matters.

The cost benefit has been severely tilted by some creative forecasting and is now unfortunately spilt milk.

The bricks and mortar legacy for the public amounts to some extra wharf space improved storm water management and very little else for their $250m koha.

https://www.business.auckland.ac.nz/en/about/news-and-media/nz-herald-brand-insights/2018/americas-cup-overblown.html

you interpret my words incorrect, i'm not saying it was profitable, i'm saying the people are happy with the spending. i could be totally wrong but i don't see this kind of continual investment as something the people don't want. if they don't get a say then that's different.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, bigrpowr said:

you interpret my words incorrect, i'm not saying it was profitable, i'm saying the people are happy with the spending. i could be totally wrong but i don't see this kind of continual investment as something the people don't want. if they don't get a say then that's different.

I think the stars are starting to wane in many locals view to keep on continually investing in a billionaires pissing match considering that Auckland City borders on being broke.

For the converted its a wonderful spectacle that will provide unmentionable wealth for all and for all eternity albeit the AC36 will be a much truncated affair compared to the last AC held here.

The contenders are few the syndicates stay is much shortened and the races are even shorter.

Let's just hope its on the telly free eh.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Priscilla said:

That public loot is circa $250m and is for the event and infrastructure not for TNZ.

The Freudian slip from Dalts is we "have" spent less than Valencia.

Is that spent to date.

You confuse me - at first you point out that what GD said was true, but absurd because Valencia was a shit-tonne of money. When demonstrated that ETNZ's Valencia spend was less than some teams are spending this time around you then determine that what GD was saying actually wasn't absurd, but now no longer true?

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

I think the stars are starting to wane in many locals view to keep on continually investing in a billionaires pissing match considering that Auckland City borders on being broke.

For the converted its a wonderful spectacle that will provide unmentionable wealth for all and for all eternity albeit the AC36 will be a much truncated affair compared to the last AC held here.

The contenders are few the syndicates stay is much shortened and the races are even shorter.

Let's just hope its on the telly free eh.

Yep. AC36 truly is a disaster on almost every level at this point. Maybe the racing will be somewhat entertaining. It better be - that will be the only saving grace of what has become the biggest clownshow since the ridiculous DoG matches. But I'm not holding my breath...

...unless I'm on Te Ahmed.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kenergy said:

Auckland city will continue to border on being broke for as long as we elect idiots as mayors and councillors. 

Crank property rates up. Apart from waterfront properties and those with sea views, rates in Auckland are comparatively well cheap.

No idiots for mayor would help too.

3 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Crank property rates up. Apart from waterfront properties and those with sea views, rates in Auckland are comparatively well cheap.

Crank up the water front views, mostly held by foreign hands. Crank it up 10x.

3 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Rob the central government and local government loot is not simply handed over to TNZ in a paper bag.

The event management is stand alone from TNZ for some transparency reasons and would be subject to scrutiny a quick trip to the Viaduct shows up the infrastructure.

I am not sure of the amount TNZ has received from the public purse for this cycle. 

You do vacillate a bit here....

Removal of those fucking tanks, but not letting Simon H. and his elk get their hands on it is a net gain.

8 minutes ago, barfy said:

Crank up the water front views, mostly held by foreign hands. Crank it up 10x.

They're already paying a fortune. Time for a bit more balance and less envy, maybe?

49 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

How about starting by wasting less of the rates? Local government is the most inefficient fucking mess you can imagine, there is millions wasted annually, and I mean wasted, not just spent on shit i disagree with. 

Sure, but statements like "The economic benefit from our investment in Team New Zealand…" infer that apart from the infrastructure component, a good chunk (I'll guess $40 million) is being used to pay ETNZ bills, probably approved by some government agency tasked with overseeing the expenditure. In this cycle, likely 100% of the government money (and maybe 80% of the ETNZ total budget) is being spent in NZ so at least they aren't wasting it on something utterly corrupt, like a bid to host the soccer World Cup.

As bigrpowr says, I think New Zealanders are generally OK with the expenditure. However it would be good to see the benefits compared to other "investment" options, such as tourism, fishing, alternative energy sources, development of high value industries, etc.

2 minutes ago, RobG said:

As bigrpowr says, I think New Zealanders are generally OK with the expenditure. However it would be good to see the benefits compared to other "investment" options, such as tourism, fishing, alternative energy sources, development of high value industries, etc.

Oh my, now your getting woke on us and virtue signaling ...:D

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

They're already paying a fortune. Time for a bit more balance and less envy, maybe?

Cry me a river for foreign, mostly Chinese, owning the views on the shore.

Btw, my wife is Chinese and I share her views on propping up an economy by selling the country to the highest bidder.

42 minutes ago, kenergy said:

How about starting by wasting less of the rates? Local government is the most inefficient fucking mess you can imagine, there is millions wasted annually, and I mean wasted, not just spent on shit i disagree with. 

Good idea. But IMO, the land tax base still needs an overhaul. Easy for me to say I guess, because I don't live there any longer. But compared to lots of bigger NZL cities (especially Christchurch and Wellington) rates are still low. 

you have to remember its politician speak

the 1 billion dollar spend can be .. the same 100 million going to 10 different places doing roughly the same project

or the 1 billion dollar investment in x can be 999 million to themselves for stuff that should have already been done and is badly over due already and a 1 million give away to x

or any number of permutations each having a slight basis of fact

but little in the way of truth, honesty or reality

12 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Good idea. But IMO, the land tax base still needs an overhaul. Easy for me to say I guess, because I don't live there any longer. But compared to lots of bigger NZL cities (especially Christchurch and Wellington) rates are still low. 

Rates are comparatively low compared to much of NZ, and as long as they wait a couple of years until I can leave then they can do what they want. :)

2 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

you have to remember its politician speak

the 1 billion dollar spend can be .. the same 100 million going to 10 different places doing roughly the same project

or the 1 billion dollar investment in x can be 999 million to themselves for stuff that should have already been done and is badly over due already and a 1 million give away to x

or any number of permutations each having a slight basis of fact

but little in the way of truth, honesty or reality

What!?! You mean to tell me we don't actually have labour, the greens and nz first to thank for deciding too Upgrade New Zealand!?!!?

1 minute ago, rh3000 said:

What!?! You mean to tell me we don't actually have labour, the greens and nz first to thank for deciding too Upgrade New Zealand!?!!?

"Upgrade?" To some sort of post modern, neo-marxist utopia you mean? 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

"Upgrade?" To some sort of post modern, neo-marxist utopia you mean? 

By that do you mean being stingy cunts that underfunded everything  so that they can give back those same funds just before an election so they appear generous to the desperate and selfish?

If so then yes :wub:

33 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Upgrade?" To some sort of post modern, neo-marxist utopia you mean? 

thinking they would actually know what they have upgraded or to where its headed is expecting a little much dont ya think

Don't you Kiwis have your own thread to blather on about this stupid political crap that absolutely no one cares about? Just because Phill blew up your own ETNZ thread by trolling doesn't mean any of us have any interest whatsoever in your collective ignorance about the sociopolitical and economic misadventures of your rocky spit of land. Now shoo! This thread is for proud Americans who are completely ashamed of these particular lame Americans that are S+S..

7 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Just because Phill blew up your own ETNZ thread by trolling doesn't mean any of us have any interest whatsoever in your collective ignorance about the sociopolitical and economic misadventures

your objection to talking finance is somewhat hard to take from someone who talks little but finance

your attempt to deflect your non stop trolling onto others is as laughable as it is unfounded

stars and stripes are doing as best they can to represent their country

if you really want to feel an ashamed usaian .. be ashamed of your senate for democracy died this day

• Like 1

Truly depressing stuff - walking talking literal performance art manifestation of ignorance - as if we needed another example...

What was it Churchill said about the best argument against democracy?

• Like 1

as an impartial party observer ( most foreigners see the 2 us parties as beige and beige light .. no discernible difference unless they are standing close together )

i see quite a difference between the 2 situations

should bill have been impeached .. seems a little harsh for putting his dick in a legal and willing participant but not wanting to shout about it

and

dumb donny's effort of wanting to bribe another country to put their dick into your democracy

the pre determined verdict enforced on all members of the party ( 1 exception but the backlash for him has not yet been publicised )

was the biggest damage to honesty and trust

On 2/5/2020 at 7:56 AM, Priscilla said:

Iggy wheres my iggy FFS.

4 you.

Anyone notice that, with the genoa trimmed to starboard (port tack), the port foil would be up and the starboard foil be down. Is that the attention to detail of S+S or the model maker?

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, trt131 said:

There is no difference, just your perception of who is right and who is wrong.  The system is the same for both parties.

you keep believing that

the rest of the planet think there should be a difference in punishments between kicking someone up the ass and shooting them in the face

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Anyone notice that, with the genoa trimmed to starboard (port tack), the port foil would be up and the starboard foil be down. Is that the attention to detail of S+S or the model maker?

Best ask 4/Matteo our resident S&NO$ expert.

My opinion is that it could be wicked fast.

Portsmouth is going to be a cracker.

13 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

You're assuming the boat will be vertical and not horizontal in the water...

• Like 1
On 2/4/2020 at 4:31 PM, SCARECROW said:

I haven't and don't intend on reading the rules in sufficient detail.  Is there anything in there stopping American Magic from "building" a boat 1.5 and giving it to Stars & Stripes?  Its not as if it hasn't been done before:

Oracle --> Japan
ETNZ --> Luna Rossa
One Australia --> Sid Fischer

At this point, the only way S+S can keep going is for ETNZ and LR to mutually agree to amend the Protocol and NOR, which they can do.  If they do, their next hurdle will be the protests from AM NYYC and INEOS.  Then it will go to the arbitration panel.  While they are at it, they could change the constructed in country rule (again if both agree to change the protocol, they can), and let S+S sail ETNZ boat #1.

I am curious..... what do you all think is a realistic time line to:

1. Build a hull and deck in Michigan

2. Install foil arm systems

3. Rig and sails

4. Install fittings, hardware, winch systems and electronics

5. Launch

6. Sea Trial

7. Pack it all up and ship it to Auckland

8. Unload it

9. Training and Practice

10. Be ready to race on December 17 2020 for Auckland ACWS event   (10.5 months from now)

if it was pared to the max

1 and 3 can be done at the same time and 3 doesn't even need to make the boat sailing time

2 and 4 can be done in transit

5> can all be done in auks

give 6 weeks for transit ( ballpark )

they have ~8 months to build one

1 hour ago, The Profit said:

At this point, the only way S+S can keep going is for ETNZ and LR to mutually agree to amend the Protocol and NOR, which they can do.  If they do, their next hurdle will be the protests from AM NYYC and INEOS.  Then it will go to the arbitration panel.  While they are at it, they could change the constructed in country rule (again if both agree to change the protocol, they can), and let S+S sail ETNZ boat #1.

1.Get the loot buckets of loot.

2. Build a hull and deck in Michigan

3. Install foil arm systems

4. Rig and sails

5. Install fittings, hardware, winch systems and electronics

6. Launch

7. Sea Trial

8. Pack it all up and ship it to Auckland

9. Unload it

10. Training and Practice

11. Be ready to race on December 17 2020 for Auckland ACWS event   (10.5 months from now)

2 hours ago, The Profit said:

1. Build a hull and deck in Michigan

2. Install foil arm systems

3. Rig and sails

4. Install fittings, hardware, winch systems and electronics

5. Launch

6. Sea Trial

7. Pack it all up and ship it to Auckland

8. Unload it

9. Training and Practice

10. Be ready to race on December 17 2020 for Auckland ACWS event   (10.5 months from now)

Have the foil arms been built and delivered to SS? This is the longest I have seen a non-existent challenge last though. 

Usually you establish if you have the money to challenge for the cup. Not let's announce we are challenging and then try and go find the money? We are talking Millions and Millions so given there back to front approach this is no surprise. Some people love the publicity that comes with this? I don't know these guys but I would have thought  1 x serious US campaign would have been the way to go? If these guys are that good why doesn't the NYYC invite them to join their campaign? Smell's of EGO and Publicity to me so that's why I haven't taken these guys seriously. Sorry if that sounds a little harsh but let's not beat around the bush.....

6 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

No one in here noticed as they're all too busy trading insults and trying to win the game of one-upmanship. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Usually you establish if you have the money to challenge for the cup. Not let's announce we are challenging and then try and go find the money? We are talking Millions and Millions so given there back to front approach this is no surprise. Some people love the publicity that comes with this? I don't know these guys but I would have thought  1 x serious US campaign would have been the way to go? If these guys are that good why doesn't the NYYC invite them to join their campaign? Smell's of EGO and Publicity to me so that's why I haven't taken these guys seriously. Sorry if that sounds a little harsh but let's not beat around the bush.....

What event have you been watching for the last 15 years?  

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Priscilla said:

The black blob is not exactly going to be environmentally friendly as landfill.

https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2017/mar/22/carbon-fibre-wonder-material-dirty-secret

71806249_1389001547917999_6630567045526192128_o.thumb.jpg.7a9fb454961075ca63b187e64cc60ad6.jpg

It seems like a far too valuable material to just be biffing away! Even if your just reusing it to feinforce concrete or something, there has to be abunch of uses for of CF pieces (especially none impregnated scraps from a factory floor).

14 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Usually you establish if you have the money to challenge for the cup. 

I swear we just had a major challenger out of compliance with your 'usually'.  Where were they from again?  Austria or something?

agreed

im not sure how many times tnz has started a challenge without guaranteed funding to actually go all the way

pretty sure its more than once though