Salty Seacock

Emirates Team New Zealand.

3 hours ago, Indio said:

That is some ride-height controller they've fine-tuned...

Seems to be less hobby horsing than the other boats, which always seem to be going up and down, searching for the elusive low rider mode.

3 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Seems to be less hobby horsing than the other boats, which always seem to be going up and down, searching for the elusive low rider mode.

It'll be very interesting to see during the upcoming practice sessions and in the ACWS if the Italians' ride-height is as consistent as ETNZ's, in light of all the BS claims by the northern hemisphere "experts" that ETNZ's AC50 controller was "donated" by the Italians LOL!!

• Like 1

Experts like Max? That was part of the team?

vs fan boy saying no our team thought of it all by ourselves.

but to be sure it was right you thought you would use Pradas test ac45 with it all in just to be sure it worked ;-) 

Try before you buy at the foiling week Italy

81434805-EF39-4D8C-9CF9-F9029C256501.thumb.jpeg.7d10342c02db47d2e3145d800660bc9b.jpeg

6B1675E4-B37F-49CA-8CE5-990B764E0522.jpeg

Back home with the new toy

797BC00E-F4E9-47D1-B9F4-41DE9E6019BD.jpeg

75EC0D8B-782C-4B45-A801-9563A3448455.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Indio said:

It'll be very interesting to see during the upcoming practice sessions and in the ACWS if the Italians' ride-height is as consistent as ETNZ's,

LR seems to be going up and down like the others. Less depth in their bow is not making their job any easier either. Their shape looks more difficult to low ride. Ineos control system looks the less developed - their hobby horsing looking the most pronounced.

8 hours ago, Ncik said:

It was poor quality, I had to force myself to listen to the whole thing on the hope something good would seep through...it didn't. Will be avoiding further commentary from Chris.

Avoid away.

Cut to your illuminating commentary.

Once up and flying, one would think that the foil flaps would be used to control ride height. 

However, do we think a viable technique would be to constantly adjust the cant of the foil arm? Lowering would increase vertical force, but a reduction of horizontal force to windward. That way the foil flaps could be left in a position of best lift/drag ratio for the speed.

Not sure if there would be a benefit to this.... just a thought. The cant of the arm is probably not responsive enough. It would be interesting to know if there is a combination of constant cant/flap adjustment going on for ride height, or if they just set the cant for a certain wind pressure and work 100% on flap. 

13 minutes ago, D_Dog said:

Once up and flying, one would think that the foil flaps would be used to control ride height. 

However, do we think a viable technique would be to constantly adjust the cant of the foil arm? Lowering would increase vertical force, but a reduction of horizontal force to windward. That way the foil flaps could be left in a position of best lift/drag ratio for the speed.

Not sure if there would be a benefit to this.... just a thought. The cant of the arm is probably not responsive enough. It would be interesting to know if there is a combination of constant cant/flap adjustment going on for ride height, or if they just set the cant for a certain wind pressure and work 100% on flap. 

The flaps are powered by powerful responsive dc motors, so I'd say they'll be fanning the flaps, with the arms adjusting the angle of the foils only.

1 minute ago, Indio said:

The flaps are powered by powerful responsive dc motors, so I'd say they'll be fanning the flaps, with the arms adjusting the angle of the foils only.

I think the DC actuators for flaps were for testing only. They needed to wean off the electrons and go to hand cranked oil to comply with the rule. 

2 hours ago, DayTripper said:

Madness that way lies.

In the words of the great Humus Effectus

A rising tide lifts all boats

They speaketh the love that dare not speak its name

32 minutes ago, thetruth said:

Sort of related to ETNZ but a great opportunity has just arisen for Tuke/Burling in the demise of "the unlucky" Hugo Boss boat. Few changes to the boat, better looking blokes, and a wider audience, sponsors dream......................

Burling and tuke  may be many things but blessed with mass market charisma they are not. Certainly compared with Alex.

while the ocean dolphin friendly race team might stump up the cash for russel’s circus, I can’t see them chucking 6mill for a boat at the problem

32 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Burling and tuke  may be many things but blessed with mass market charisma they are not. Certainly compared with Alex.

Also a huge leap from a history where the closest is a fully crewed Volvo boat to the Vendee. 

Anyone who has made the leap from fully crewed to single or double handed would I am sure agree with me that it is a very very different experience

• Like 1

I just watched the Cam and Kevin video. 

If you were needing rescue at sea, you couldn't hope for a better man than Cam to be there for you. Amazing. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, barfy said:

I think the DC actuators for flaps were for testing only. They needed to wean off the electrons and go to hand cranked oil to comply with the rule. 

AC75 Class Rules Clause 24.2(e) permits electric actuators.

1 hour ago, Indio said:

AC75 Class Rules Clause 24.2(e) permits electric actuators.

You are absolutely correct sir. With dedicated batteries. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, barfy said:

Cut to your illuminating commentary.

It's not my job to provide illuminating commentary. I was looking forward to LSD coverage as I've been a fan for years, but that particular video was a let-down.

• Like 1

Te Rehutai was giving the CZ a good workout this morning, getting quite a bit of speed up and sailing all over the place, from the Bays down to the Paddock.

DSC_2140.JPG

DSC_2177.JPG

DSC_2189.JPG

DSC_2212.JPG

DSC_2218.JPG

DSC_2223.JPG

• Like 12

What are the rules around the foresails? Number, area limits, when the teams have to commit to a sail setup, etc? If this is very open, with say just a maximum area limit, I can see foresail choice on teh day having a major affect on the race outcome.

That ketch didn't have booms on Saturday. New Leisure furls or a refurb?.

Looks like they are setting up the main too.

1 hour ago, weta27 said:

DSC_2212.JPG

Noice! Thank you. Talk about having to keep your head out of the boat... "hey pete, kayak off starboard bow".

2 minutes ago, Varan said:

Noice! Thank you. Talk about having to keep your head out of the boat... "hey pete, kayak off starboard bow".

Bloody speedbumps shouldnt be alowed outside the harbour 

Forgive me if this is a stupid question

Later this month, WIll NZ be sailing B1 or B2. I assume B2, But i only ask after watching this youtube clip where they say they are excited to put B2 onto the start line on March 6 (5:18)

10 minutes ago, starlyte said:

Forgive me if this is a stupid question

Later this month, WIll NZ be sailing B1 or B2. I assume B2, But i only ask after watching this youtube clip where they say they are excited to put B2 onto the start line on March 6 (5:18)

It would be an interesting tactical move by NZ if they raced B1 in the Xmas series and then B2 in the cup itself. NZ would intimately know how B1 sails relatively to B2, but no one else would have a clue?

5 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

It would be an interesting tactical move by NZ if they raced B1 in the Xmas series and then B2 in the cup itself. NZ would intimately know how B1 sails relatively to B2, but no one else would have a clue?

No going back to B1, it was striped of parts and they are being used on B2. There was photo on this thread earlier which showed B1 on dry dock with a cover over it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Unless B2 is damaged or has major flaws, the chances of recommissioning B1 is very slim.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, weta27 said:

Only on the Hauraki Gulf ...

DSC_2228.JPG

Half decent part of the world right now.

So grateful for the black passport.  

33 minutes ago, zenmasterfred said:

I'll take the non foiler in this photo, no brainer!

Probably draws a bit too much water for a lot of nice spots in NZ.

1 minute ago, Horn Rock said:

Probably draws a bit too much water for a lot of nice spots in NZ.

Yeah. Not suitable at all....

• Like 2

20 hours ago, thetruth said:

Sort of related to ETNZ but a great opportunity has just arisen for Tuke/Burling in the demise of "the unlucky" Hugo Boss boat. Few changes to the boat, better looking blokes, and a wider audience, sponsors dream......................

Not sure they'll sneak past the solo requirement. That said, I sometimes wonder if they're not a single entity.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, weta27 said:

Getting a bit arty-farty, sorry ...

DSC_2180.JPG

Mate. Right on cue for the Christmas Cup. Got that one with the Metrosideros excelsa in near view focus?

59 minutes ago, I ride bikes said:

1:50-2:00

Yes, interesting stuff. Looks like they accelerate with very little lift on the foil then suddenly kick it in the guts at a specific speed, hence the sudden increase in wake off the foil. 

44 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Start 'em early. Awesome.

19 minutes ago, Flippin Out said:

Yep, maneuvers no where near as quick with that up. 

I think I saw one manoeuver where they stayed up, but mostly they seem to go ker plop. Big clumsy things. If the next cup is still in these boats, scrapping the CZ will be one of the first amendments.

48 minutes ago, D_Dog said:

Yes, interesting stuff. Looks like they accelerate with very little lift on the foil then suddenly kick it in the guts at a specific speed, hence the sudden increase in wake off the foil. 

Amazing the sudden geyser up the foil fairing..in two lift offs.some serious Shit happening a meter underwater right there

• Like 2

I've been trying to work out how long it takes any boat to get onto the foils, but its not always easy to figure out when they start trying. In that video it looks to me like they sheet in at 1:54, and are clear of the water and able to head up at 2:12. So I think 18s. Not sure how that compares with other boats but it does show the benefits/disadvantages from pushing someone off the foils pre-start

I think they were just utilising the light wind day. I feels like we are starting to get into sea breeze season 

59 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Not sure they'll sneak past the solo requirement. That said, I sometimes wonder if they're not a single entity.

Since they seem to be joined at the hip, they may get away with it. ;-)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, barfy said:

Amazing the sudden geyser up the foil fairing..in two lift offs.some serious Shit happening a meter underwater right there

They probably put the flaps down.

Does anyone know where I could watch replays of the 35th cup races with NON american commentry?

On youtube now are all the american commentators and I feel like I missed out on something listening to them

For those who might think Muffin Top's wide flat arse might be sticky, I remind them that her rudder elevator seems to lift said arse out of the water first, before the leeward foil provides lift to the rest of her hull.

See 1.19 in for example. Makes sense if you think about relative weights at the lift points, I guess.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

For those who might think Muffin Top's wide flat arse might be sticky, I remind them that her rudder elevator seems to lift said arse out of the water first, before the leeward foil provides lift to the rest of her hull.

See 1.19 in for example. Makes sense if you think about relative weights at the lift points, I guess.

Nice observation

4 hours ago, fish7yu said:

She doesn't look too sticky in displacement mode...

1 hour ago, Mudz said:

Great video.

Nice shots of subtle movements of the top control zone at around 3:00

• Like 1

tts01.jpg.06a72dcc848da9628edc8b1943946f88.jpg

tts02.jpg.8a37c8c8e83ff46d9c1fe6e9b2e19d67.jpg

Interesting that they have tell tales on the muffin top of the bow, and on the inside of the pods, and on the stern media thing. Monitoring air flow across the bows down the slip way.

• Like 3

It's one thing to look stable on big area foils, like LR, Ineos, and AM are. To do it on the smallest foils in the fleet like Te Rehutai is - is taking it to a new level.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, fish7yu said:

@35s, my cat noted that ETNZ was all over the handbags... Game over!

The Yacht Racing Podcast: Episode 24 – Glenn Ashby

- 4th December 2020

With just a fortnight left until the start the opening regatta of the 36th America’s Cup cycle Yacht Racing Life editor Justin Chisholm caught up with Emirates Team New Zealand sailor Glenn Ashby to find out more about the team’s campaign to retain the America’s Cup.

During the interview the pair discuss:

• the atmosphere in and around the America’s Cup race village in Auckland
  • the impact of this year’s Covid 19 restrictions on the campaign
  • the ratio of time the sailors have spent on the simulator and on the water
  • the performance potential of the Kiwi’s second generation AC75
  • what it is actually like to sail an AC75 in race mode
  • what we can expect from the Auckland America’s Cup World Series and Christmas Cup regattas

All this and plenty more besides….

06-55-04-Glenn-Ashby.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, fish7yu said:

- 4th December 2020

With just a fortnight left until the start the opening regatta of the 36th America’s Cup cycle Yacht Racing Life editor Justin Chisholm caught up with Emirates Team New Zealand sailor Glenn Ashby to find out more about the team’s campaign to retain the America’s Cup.

During the interview the pair discuss:

• the atmosphere in and around the America’s Cup race village in Auckland
  • the impact of this year’s Covid 19 restrictions on the campaign
  • the ratio of time the sailors have spent on the simulator and on the water
  • the performance potential of the Kiwi’s second generation AC75
  • what it is actually like to sail an AC75 in race mode
  • what we can expect from the Auckland America’s Cup World Series and Christmas Cup regattas

All this and plenty more besides….

06-55-04-Glenn-Ashby.jpg

Always interesting to hear Mr Ashby's somewhat guarded views on ETNZ's progress and the ac in general.   Re sandbagging: I reckon ETNZ would be pretty dumb to let the cat fully out of the bag if they're comfortably faster at this stage.  They'll just want to gauge where they are in terms of relative VMG, straight line speed, and manoeuvrability across a range of wind strengths, and they'll probably take care to mask any obvious performance difference between their port and starboard foils until the other teams have locked in their final foil designs.  In fact, I'd be very surprised if any team with an outright speed advantage throw all care to the wind and set out to thrash the opposition in the Christmas regatta.  Too little to gain and too much to lose.        

• Like 2

Ashby indicates that nobody will be sandbagging, all teams would prefer to look good and win the Christmas Cup. 

The most precise he got was when he said that compared to the AC50’s they are now going “6, 7, 8, 9 knots faster” upwind. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Ashby indicates that nobody will be sandbagging, all teams would prefer to look good and win the Christmas Cup. 

Ashby is evasive when it comes to sandbagging and says "Justin, Ill leave it up to you to decide whether you think anyone will be sandbagging or not".  

I think you're right,  all teams will aim to be competitive Christmas regatta - but what advantage is there in putting the foot to the floor if you're comfortably in the lead.  I reckon they'll do the minimum necessary to win and try not to reveal too may design advantages just yet.   

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Apterix said:

Ashby is evasive when it comes to sandbagging and says "Justin, Ill leave it up to you to decide whether you think anyone will be sandbagging or not".  

I think you're right,  all teams will aim to be competitive Christmas regatta - but what advantage is there in putting the foot to the floor if you're comfortably in the lead.  I reckon they'll do the minimum necessary to win and try not to reveal too may design advantages just yet.   

That will be the tell. A series of comfortable but close wins. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Apterix said:

I reckon they'll do the minimum necessary to win and try not to reveal too may design advantages just yet.   

I reckon the sailors will do their best to win, with the gear they’ve been allowed to race with and ‘show.’

Both the sailing skills and gear will continue to improve greatly even well after the Auckland ACWS. 

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

Both the sailing skills and gear will continue to improve greatly even well after the Auckland ACWS. 

I'd be a mug not to agree with your second point stingray :).  And, I suspect we're more or less in agreement on your first point too, but I'd be surprised to see massive winning margins even if some teams have the potential to annihilate the competition.  Then again, it could be incredibly close.  It's going to be a fun couple of weeks - can't wait!   

• Like 1

Just now, Apterix said:

It's going to be a fun couple of weeks - can't wait!   

For sure! These guys will be out to win, with whatever they get to race with! 

• Downvote 1

Nice takeoff shot @mikenz2 !

This time she comes out with no heel, sticky bum and all.

And after a first little tail lift she comes out bow first.

There is a huge burst of speed just before she settles down and sheds some off, maybe on purpose? Gusty SW looks like tho. Anyone got a speed check on that bit?

Edit: forgot to add that the foil tip was breaching almost at once, maybe dashing the argument that this mode is used once there is extra power on tap.

• Like 2

^^^^ Great vid Mike. I love the little pitch up of the bow just before full lift off. They seem to have just the right amount of buoyancy in the keel/bustle, which along with that vee bow, seems to allow her to get up early and quite easily. They also seem to trace this "S" shaped path of the snake as they gather speed. Tell tales look gone on the muffin top.

Sailing out from the base they get to practise lift off in a confined area in light wind. Could be similar to race pre-starts.

4 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

I reckon the sailors will do their best to win, with the gear they’ve been allowed to race with and ‘show.’

Disagree Stinger. If you look at etnz in the last cup, it was pretty obvious they had king size sandbags even in the LVC final against Artemis.

Even Draper commented about how they allowed themselves to be hooked in the start box.

I think only INEOS will be going nuts out cos it's pretty obvious they have a slow boat again this time.