Salty Seacock

Emirates Team New Zealand.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, MaxHugen said:

quick cash grab to top the coffers or a sincere and lasting partnership with some real stand up blokes? any guesses?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

I always wonder what "socialism" is for some that apparently never have experienced socialism first hand.

It is less greed !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

with chat like that and the 'being bred out of your own country' comment , t wouldn't surprise any of us if you were supporting  the dumb cunt with a semi auto at the mosque.

 

 

 

17 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

quick cash grab to top the coffers or a sincere and lasting partnership with some real stand up blokes? any guesses?

 

I hope you can see the hypocracy here... calling out racism in one breath, and then going on to assert that by simply being Chinese, the people at CSIG must be dubious...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

with chat like that and the 'being bred out of your own country' comment , t wouldn't surprise any of us if you were supporting  the dumb cunt with a semi auto at the mosque.

 

 

you're quite wrong with your last comment there, thoughts were that the comment "it's kiwis he's killing there" really hit home to a lot of the population. Covid 19 in a way was a bit of a blessing to us as the immigration up till then was pretty out of hand resulting in near zero integration or assimilation and it showed. As for the bred out......  those  weren't actually my words... think Enoch Powell..."river of blood speech" and as an observer it would seem to be  strangely prophetic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 167149 said:

you really should have gone further in NZ that palmerston north, Going south to Gore would've fitted you to a  tee

Is Gore where you got your Banjo from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

This is great racist banter. Keep it up. 

Isnt it just, 2 tub thumpers and one with a moustache in a plastic mac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a nice day for a sail here in Auckland.

Anyone want to talk about sailing?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2021 at 11:35 PM, 167149 said:

you could also try yelling out that the soap dodgers won WW2, probably a doubly dangerous thing to say in USA

I suspect Russia is closer to the truth.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rh3000 said:

 

I hope you can see the hypocracy here... calling out racism in one breath, and then going on to assert that by simply being Chinese, the people at CSIG must be dubious...

If you can’t see that one comment is aimed at a prick that’s talking about people being bred out of their country  and how fucking offensive that is 

and the other is on the same level as the comments about Jim and his business empire. 
I didn’t say anything about race as moral fortitude or dubious nature has nothing to do with race at all, why you think it would is rather baffling. 
 

you know damn well my views on all the teams and how they are funded, it is what it is, none of them are perfect nor will they ever be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

I always wonder what "socialism" is for some that apparently never have experienced socialism first hand.

I have observed East Germany at close hand before the wall came down. I dont have to experience a heart attack to know its a bad thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 167149 said:

you're quite wrong with your last comment there, thoughts were that the comment "it's kiwis he's killing there" really hit home to a lot of the population. Covid 19 in a way was a bit of a blessing to us as the immigration up till then was pretty out of hand resulting in near zero integration or assimilation and it showed. As for the bred out......  those  weren't actually my words... think Enoch Powell..."river of blood speech" and as an observer it would seem to be  strangely prophetic

Maybe don’t go making sweeping statements about being bred out of your country and living under sharia law 

what happened did covid keep the different people out and make you feel safe? 

and if your go to reference is Enoch Powell? That says it all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Maybe don’t go making sweeping statements about being bred out of your country and living under sharia law 

what happened did covid keep the different people out and make you feel safe? 

and if your go to reference is Enoch Powell? That says it all. 

Enoch Powell was very misunderstood .  We have had many people killed in the UK due to friction between cultures. It is  not all rainbows and pretty ponies.

Anyway back to the boats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to interrupt this with a question about ETNZ... does anyone know / have an opinion on what they have planned for their in-house training programme? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

When to ETNZ wet their new set of foils?

How dare you try and redirect forum drift that has gone completely off the rails and belongs in PA.  Is there a sailing regatta still underway that some of us might care about more that the fucking name calling from people who benefit for health care, retirement, law enforcement etc.?  I say throw the blighters out on the streets w/ no government to back them up and see how they do.  Now hopefully back to our regularly scheduled programming.  Hoping to see TR plying to waters soon, disappointed there won't be more racing next weekend but no one can say it hasn't been exciting with lead changes and everything!  Rant complete, I feel much better now.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

You don't see a difference between sponsorship from a chemical company and from a country that systematically persecutes people in concentration camps because of their race?

Wow

Are you talking about the Guantanamo Bay detention camp opened in 2002 and which is still operating? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Don said:

Are you talking about the Guantanamo Bay detention camp opened in 2002 and which is still operating? 

Uh no, because that's not really relevant to the UK (or NZ) is it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends. If your critising ETNZ for having a Chinese company sponsor, then for an example, lets look at Apple with all the iPhones manufactured in China.

Let's not throw stones, they make ugly holes in sails.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FFS WE'VE BEEN OVER AND OVER THE SPONSOR THING ON SLOW DAYS.

The racing is going on, Shit is happening. Don't fucking debate morals forever.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, barfy said:

FFS WE'VE BEEN OVER AND OVER THE SPONSOR THING ON SLOW DAYS.

The racing is going on, Shit is happening. Don't fucking debate morals forever.

Is that why ETNZ tried to slip out the new sponsorship by China on a busy news day. Make sense

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

If you can’t see that one comment is aimed at a prick that’s talking about people being bred out of their country  and how fucking offensive that is 

and the other is on the same level as the comments about Jim and his business empire. 
I didn’t say anything about race as moral fortitude or dubious nature has nothing to do with race at all, why you think it would is rather baffling. 
 

you know damn well my views on all the teams and how they are funded, it is what it is, none of them are perfect nor will they ever be.

My sincerest apologies - thanks for clarifying :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dullers said:

I have lived in ENZED as well back in the 80s and 90s. This devotion to socialism is killing the west all over. Anyway lets see if us Brits can take the cup off you. It would be the trifecta...Cricket, Rugby and the AC....

In your dreams.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Is that why ETNZ tried to slip out the new sponsorship by China on a busy news day. Make sense

China? It has China in the name, but it is a commercial entity responsible for a range of sporting events including the Youth AC and VOR... http://www.csig158.com/ssyyyfw.html

Perhaps @shanghaisailor has a perspective to counter any jingoism?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dent said:

I suspect GA is the tactician but what other role does he play?

He just marks the beat for the whole band.

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 6.46.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 6.45.34 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

China? It has China in the name, but it is a commercial entity responsible for a range of sporting events including the Youth AC and VOR... http://www.csig158.com/ssyyyfw.html

Perhaps @shanghaisailor has a perspective to counter any jingoism?

 

Just as Huawei are a commercial entity who definitely wouldn't assist the Chinese govt with persecution and discrimination?

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55634388

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

In your dreams.

It is good to dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dullers said:

It is good to dream.

And ya might as well dream BIG too. ;-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sailbydate said:

And ya might as well dream BIG too. ;-)

Not sure where winning the AC would rest in the British pantheon of sporting achievements?  Soccer World cup 66 is the biggest and I hate football. Next the Rugby in 2003 and I love Rugby. Cricket was good in the one dayer! Most brits would not have begrudged that game going to the Kiwis. The Ac is huge in terms of the achievement but only myself and about 10 other people would know it is a big thing. Sadly the country is besotted by soccer and the feckless wkers who play it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dullers said:

Not sure where winning the AC would rest in the British pantheon of sporting achievements?  Soccer World cup 66 is the biggest and I hate football. Next the Rugby in 2003 and I love Rugby. Cricket was good in the one dayer! Most brits would not have begrudged that game going to the Kiwis. The Ac is huge in terms of the achievement but only myself and about 10 other people would know it is a big thing. Sadly the country is besotted by soccer and the feckless wkers who play it.

There's hope, Dullers. Before the AC, NZL had rugby and a bit of cricket.

Not sure what would happen in the UK if Sir Ben took the Cup back. It would be huge, especially on the Isle of Wight. Even the French would get excited about the AC again, for sure. There'd be teams from all over Europe, I shouldn't wonder. Actually, it would be good for The Cup.

Too bad it's not going to happen, eh?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dullers said:

Not sure where winning the AC would rest in the British pantheon of sporting achievements?  Soccer World cup 66 is the biggest and I hate football. Next the Rugby in 2003 and I love Rugby. Cricket was good in the one dayer! Most brits would not have begrudged that game going to the Kiwis. The Ac is huge in terms of the achievement but only myself and about 10 other people would know it is a big thing. Sadly the country is besotted by soccer and the feckless wkers who play it.

Below the last few Olympics too.

And Murray winning some tennis, and Ryder cup, and being halfway decent at that tennis nations thing.

Oh and darts and snooker 

Actually give that the day after UK went 4 from 4 and still didn't make the main BBC sports page,  but curling did, it might be easier to Les international wins that aren't ahead in public consciousnesses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if Sir Blue Buffalo Jellymeat Purina dog tucker took the cup back to blighty it would a great for everyone involved, but I cant see it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

There's hope, Dullers. Before the AC, NZL had rugby and a bit of cricket.

Not sure what would happen in the UK if Sir Ben took the Cup back. It would be huge, especially on the Isle of Wight. Even the French would get excited about the AC again, for sure. There'd be teams from all over Europe, I shouldn't wonder. Actually, it would be good for The Cup.

Too bad it's not going to happen, eh?

I live opposite the Isle of Wight so I fancy having a home AC.(I actually live about 200 meters from BAs old house which he sold a bout 2 years ago). We watched B1 training in the Solent a while ago. Some dreams do come true.....It would be huge  in the sailing community and that is all. Would be good for Portsmouth.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Below the last few Olympics too.

And Murray winning some tennis, and Ryder cup, and being halfway decent at that tennis nations thing.

Oh and darts and snooker 

Actually give that the day after UK went 4 from 4 and still didn't make the main BBC sports page,  but curling did, it might be easier to Les international wins that aren't ahead in public consciousnesses

Even though a lot of ordinary people sail it is seen as a rich mans niche sport like Polo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

Fervent Frackers supporter: Winnie the Pooh can fuck right off. Genuinely, may he die a slow and painful death, preferably in an iron maiden or a breaking wheel. I have quite a lot of long time friends in Hong Kong and I will remember my whole life getting a message at 10am from one of them going I've lost something, me responding with what is it, I might be able to get it for you, only for him to go, I've lost my freedom. It was the day the NSL was passed into law.

And I genuinely don't care that ETNZ title sponsor is Abdul bin human rights violations or that Ineos is sponsored by well, Ineos or even that China Sports industry Group might have absolutely zero relation to the CCP. It can fuck right off. That's what it gets for being from a country that puts people in concentration camps and arrests people who don't toe the party line. 

....................../´¯/) 
....................,/¯../ 
.................../..../ 
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸ 
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\ 
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...') 
.........\.................'...../ 
..........''...\.......... _.·´ 
............\..............( 
..............\.............\...
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Don said:

Depends. If your critising ETNZ for having a Chinese company sponsor, then for an example, lets look at Apple with all the iPhones manufactured in China.

Let's not throw stones, they make ugly holes in sails.

Ha, I dont have an apple or an I whatsit. I did have a Chinese take away the other day but am pretty sure it was made locally.   Just checking my pc now for Chinese parts....well i wont look any further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

Fervent Frackers supporter: Winnie the Pooh can fuck right off. Genuinely, may he die a slow and painful death, preferably in an iron maiden or a breaking wheel. I have quite a lot of long time friends in Hong Kong and I will remember my whole life getting a message at 10am from one of them going I've lost something, me responding with what is it, I might be able to get it for you, only for him to go, I've lost my freedom. It was the day the NSL was passed into law.

And I genuinely don't care that ETNZ title sponsor is Abdul bin human rights violations or that Ineos is sponsored by well, Ineos or even that China Sports industry Group might have absolutely zero relation to the CCP. It can fuck right off. That's what it gets for being from a country that puts people in concentration camps and arrests people who don't toe the party line. 


....................../´¯/) 
....................,/¯../ 
.................../..../ 
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸ 
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\ 
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...') 
.........\.................'...../ 
..........''...\.......... _.·´ 
............\..............( 
..............\.............\...

I wish you would stop sitting on the fence about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

China? It has China in the name, but it is a commercial entity responsible for a range of sporting events including the Youth AC and VOR... http://www.csig158.com/ssyyyfw.html

Perhaps @shanghaisailor has a perspective to counter any jingoism?

 

In some ways it is difficult to provide a perspective without getting political which i find difficult as i am NOT a political animal.

I would say however that it is somewhat peculiar that ETNZ's named sponsor is a state owned company yet nothing appears to have been made of that fact.

Yet when a company with China in its name is announced as a partner those posters like enigmatically states that it is  "sponsorship by China". It is not! It is sponsored by a company in China , no different than Emirates, Airbus, Belstaff, INEOS or Prada 

CSI has responsibilities to improve sporting facilities for those in China. The subsidiary handling the partnership with ETNZ has specific responsibilities in the area of water-sports and water leisure. It should be noted that the Youth America's Cup was initially an initiative between ETNZ, RNZYS & CSI with the first event planned for China but sadly, like so many regattas COVID put paid to that.

Their responsibilities are INSIDE China, to improve sports facilities, Corinthian participation and therefore health and lifestyle of the population.  The promotion of America's Cup on Chinese media is, I understand, hoped to gain people's interest in sailing and help develop our sport and that suits me fine. Who knows, perhaps one day, probably long after i am gone there will be a Chinese AC entry that gets to the race course. Having headed an entry many years ago i know it is looking way more likely than it did back then but our sport here still has to grow to be way bigger than it is now. 

I see the CSI initiative as a part of that process.

Funny though how quickly people jump on the  "Hate China" bandwagon and try to politicise an element of our sport.

SS

 

  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

He just marks the beat for the whole band.

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 6.46.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 6.45.34 PM.png

Isn’t he also the head of there sailing department as well.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KingMonkey said:

Sorry to interrupt this with a question about ETNZ... does anyone know / have an opinion on what they have planned for their in-house training programme? 

Apparently not. 
 

As an aside, and sorry for the thread drift, but very windy here today. I haven’t checked but I suspect they weren’t out today. I saw no cradle at lunch time. 
 

I saw somewhere (here) that the new foils would be splashed this week, but wouldn’t blame them if they picked a more benign day to test them for the first time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

I saw somewhere (here) that the new foils would be splashed this week, but wouldn’t blame them if they picked a more benign day to test them for the first time. 

Thanks. The development path of the foils will be interesting. And presumably quite subtle compared to some of the challengers. 
 

With everything that’s been going on I’ve seen no footage of ETNZ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

I would say however that it is somewhat peculiar that ETNZ's named sponsor is a state owned company yet nothing appears to have been made of that fact

Nothin  is ever made of the fact that AM’s backers were among the biggest financial backers of the Trump regime either and the environmental impact that entails. And indeed had family members in senior positions inside of it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KingMonkey said:

Nothin  is ever made of the fact that AM’s backers were among the biggest financial backers of the Trump regime either and the environmental impact that entails. And indeed had family members in senior positions inside of it. 

Shanghai’s post and yours.. 

Both have been brought up frequently, I can’t be arsed to do it again 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dullers said:

I live opposite the Isle of Wight so I fancy having a home AC.(I actually live about 200 meters from BAs old house which he sold a bout 2 years ago). We watched B1 training in the Solent a while ago. Some dreams do come true.....It would be huge  in the sailing community and that is all. Would be good for Portsmouth.

Portsmouth certainly needs something to make it a place worth living but alas I don’t think the AC would give it any polish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KingMonkey said:

Thanks. The development path of the foils will be interesting. And presumably quite subtle compared to some of the challengers. 
 

With everything that’s been going on I’ve seen no footage of ETNZ. 

Dans been testing them in his bathtub...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

Shanghai’s post and yours.. 

Both have been brought up frequently, I can’t be arsed to do it again 

I hate Trump, hate fascism and hate stupidity... unless its about sailing then please be as dumb as you like.

Please... let go of the hasbeens, grab hold of the unfolding adventure that is this Americas Cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Below the last few Olympics too.

And Murray winning some tennis, and Ryder cup, and being halfway decent at that tennis nations thing.

Oh and darts and snooker 

Actually give that the day after UK went 4 from 4 and still didn't make the main BBC sports page,  but curling did, it might be easier to Les international wins that aren't ahead in public consciousnesses

I would be hard pushed to find another country that is good across such a wide range of sports. Just goes to prove that posh twats, shopkeepers and  coal miners is a sporty combination. Any other anarchist want to best our Sceptred Isle in success across a wide range of sports? If we feck the AC we can always fall back on the Darts...What other country can say that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

There's hope, Dullers. Before the AC, NZL had rugby and a bit of cricket.

Not sure what would happen in the UK if Sir Ben took the Cup back. It would be huge, especially on the Isle of Wight. Even the French would get excited about the AC again, for sure. There'd be teams from all over Europe, I shouldn't wonder. Actually, it would be good for The Cup.

Too bad it's not going to happen, eh?

We still got the Darts to fall back on. Pub game becomes international sport. Only Albion can do that....or should i say "The Old Dart"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, An Interested Non-Sailor said:

Portsmouth certainly needs something to make it a place worth living but alas I don’t think the AC would give it any polish

Portsmouth is great along the harbour and sea front and it is a city with great potential. Glasgow was reinvented and one day Portsmouth will be. I get to Portsmouth often as I have to have a naval museum fix once per year. Close to London and on the sea. I think it has a high population of CHAVS though. I have been tempted over the years to buy there but the New Forest takes some beating. I agree the AC is to small an event to give the city a boost.   Like Southampton Portsmouth is still recovering from the damage in the war. Southampton is in even worse state. What I mean is that a lot of ugly cheap building went on in the post war recovery and it shows. Southampton is worse than Portsmouth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Rhumline said:

I hate Trump, hate fascism and hate stupidity... unless its about sailing then please be as dumb as you like.

Please... let go of the hasbeens, grab hold of the unfolding adventure that is this Americas Cup.

What was it? Trumps concentration camps or him starting new wars that got to you? The US is hardly like Germany in 1939. Everyone becomes a hasbeen by the way and in my i case I am a "never will be".  Right lets get back to "socialist sailing".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, dullers said:

Portsmouth is great along the harbour and sea front and it is a city with great potential. Glasgow was reinvented and one day Portsmouth will be. I get to Portsmouth often as I have to have a naval museum fix once per year. Close to London and on the sea. I think it has a high population of CHAVS though. I have been tempted over the years to buy there but the New Forest takes some beating. I agree the AC is to small an event to give the city a boost.   Like Southampton Portsmouth is still recovering from the damage in the war. Southampton is in even worse state. What I mean is that a lot of ugly cheap building went on in the post war recovery and it shows. Southampton is worse than Portsmouth.

I go to Portsmouth occasionally for business (and when Covid is over I do want to take my kids to Warrior etc). 

It is a city with a lot of potential (though as someone who goes to Glasgow on business a fair bit I'm not sure I'd choose that as my aimpoint).

But more importantly I'm not sure where all the team bases would be. Now the carriers are based Portsmouth the spare space has shrunk somewhat, Would be incredible to see these things racing round the Solent though. Maybe as a publicity gesture even throw in a warm-up race round the island as a throwback to the original!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

I always wonder what "socialism" is for some that apparently never have experienced socialism first hand.

Not sure but I knew someone at school who became a micro-celebrity activist in the Socialist Workers Party (SWP) and when I knew him, was just full of hate and resentment for anyone and anything. For non-UK readers, the SWP was the best known of a constellation of feuding Trotskyist groups of the time.  He subsequently became a teacher and I suspect, mocked and bullied his pupils without mercy. I did not like him - have you guessed that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KingMonkey said:

Nothin  is ever made of the fact that AM’s backers were among the biggest financial backers of the Trump regime either and the environmental impact that entails. And indeed had family members in senior positions inside of it. 

Didn't know that KingMonkey. Kind of reinforces what I said. Actually yes, now you mention it Betty De Vos was his Education Secretary.

Having said that, as a sailor i am not really concerned how people have made their money or what their politics are I am just grateful they are spending some of their spare cash on the pinnacle of our sport.

I just wish people would keep politics out of it.

I remember the film with Helen Hunt and Mel Gibson, "What Women Want" Their Nike campaign had the slogan something like "No games, just sports". Wouldn't it be great if people also left out the 'games' in the AC and just got on with the sport played fairly.

On that note, the way the other teams rallied round and helped AM is an indicator of the spirit of our sport.

I thought the image of Peter Burling, helm of the defender on the bow of a support RIB hauling AM's jib out of the water is worthy of any sportsmanship award you could mention 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Having said that, as a sailor i am not really concerned how people have made their money or what their politics are 

But I am, so are at least some others here. If you aren't interested, don't read those posts. It is not mandatory and there will not be a test later.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

I go to Portsmouth occasionally for business (and when Covid is over I do want to take my kids to Warrior etc). 

It is a city with a lot of potential (though as someone who goes to Glasgow on business a fair bit I'm not sure I'd choose that as my aimpoint).

But more importantly I'm not sure where all the team bases would be. Now the carriers are based Portsmouth the spare space has shrunk somewhat, Would be incredible to see these things racing round the Solent though. Maybe as a publicity gesture even throw in a warm-up race round the island as a throwback to the original!

Good point, I had never thought of that. Maybe Calshot would have the space for all the teams? Or up Southampton waters? Any space Gosport side?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

I go to Portsmouth occasionally for business (and when Covid is over I do want to take my kids to Warrior etc). 

It is a city with a lot of potential (though as someone who goes to Glasgow on business a fair bit I'm not sure I'd choose that as my aimpoint).

But more importantly I'm not sure where all the team bases would be. Now the carriers are based Portsmouth the spare space has shrunk somewhat, Would be incredible to see these things racing round the Solent though. Maybe as a publicity gesture even throw in a warm-up race round the island as a throwback to the original!

The kids will love the Mary Rose...Lots of skeletons! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dullers said:

The kids will love the Mary Rose...Lots of skeletons! 

Warrior is the star for me and always will be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dullers said:

Good point, I had never thought of that. Maybe Calshot would have the space for all the teams? Or up Southampton waters? Any space Gosport side?

No-one, repeat no-one wants to go there! I can say this having originated there :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dullers said:

Good point, I had never thought of that. Maybe Calshot would have the space for all the teams? Or up Southampton waters? Any space Gosport side?

Hythe most likely has the space, huge heated sheds, deep water access, advanced composites facilities on site. I can just see Laurie rubbing his hands together.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dullers said:

Good point, I had never thought of that. Maybe Calshot would have the space for all the teams? Or up Southampton waters? Any space Gosport side?

Well, it's the Yacht Squadron, so in many ways a Cowes race track and boats in soton, like for Sail GP might be the case. But for an AC surely they've want it on the waterfront in Portsmouth just like the world series? I can't see the team going to hythe as it's a bit out in the sticks for spectators.

I think Portmsouth is actually a pretty great city, the seafront is full of history and Southsea has very nice housing. Nice open common with excellent access to the water (unlike Soton where you'd hardly know you were by the sea). Old Portsmouth and Spice Island are really pretty (where team is) and have had decent investment in the hot walls. 

Space maybe an issue with the Navy... but, it's a pretty huge port, I'm sure they could find space. If they really wanted, they could redevelop the hard (where Warrior is) which they have talked about for years and put up new bases if it were a permanent move. 

But... think we are getting ahead of ourselves... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Main Man said:

No-one, repeat no-one wants to go there! I can say this having originated there :P

Gosport, Southampton water or Calshot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Warrior is the star for me and always will be

Warrior is bloody impressive, the sheer size of the thing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dullers said:

Warrior is bloody impressive, the sheer size of the thing!

Think that is big? Go look at the carriers ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, The Main Man said:

No-one, repeat no-one wants to go there! I can say this having originated there :P

I like the area. Surrounding countryside is spiffing.  Southampton waters is very interesting and so is Portsmouth.  If you use google maps you can avoid all the CHAVS. I can go to Southampton and walk around the walls and pass though the gate Henry v (i think) went through on the way to Agincourt or go to Portsmouth and walk down Nelsons steps and look at his ship. All big cities have rough areas but google maps are your friend. I have lived in NZ so can compare.....they each have their plusses and minuses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, enigmatically2 said:

Think that is big? Go look at the carriers ;)

 

Went down to Portsmouth to watch the first one come in at about 6 in the morning. Fantastic day. I have some pictures...We took a taxi over and returned by train. Waved my flag and felt very British.

DSCF0601_1600x900.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Well, it's the Yacht Squadron, so in many ways a Cowes race track and boats in soton, like for Sail GP might be the case. But for an AC surely they've want it on the waterfront in Portsmouth just like the world series? I can't see the team going to hythe as it's a bit out in the sticks for spectators.

I think Portmsouth is actually a pretty great city, the seafront is full of history and Southsea has very nice housing. Nice open common with excellent access to the water (unlike Soton where you'd hardly know you were by the sea). Old Portsmouth and Spice Island are really pretty (where team is) and have had decent investment in the hot walls. 

Space maybe an issue with the Navy... but, it's a pretty huge port, I'm sure they could find space. If they really wanted, they could redevelop the hard (where Warrior is) which they have talked about for years and put up new bases if it were a permanent move. 

But... think we are getting ahead of ourselves... 

It is nice to get ahead of ourselves, just waiting for a salty kiwi to put us down. Would they want the bases all together?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

But... think we are getting ahead of ourselves... 

And in the wrong thread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep I'd love to see the AC in the waters between Cowes and Southampton..

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The Q said:

Yep I'd love to see the AC in the waters between Cowes and Southampton..

 

 

Well based on Ac36  so far, Giles and the UK would call it right and the others....?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

And in the wrong thread.

We endured months of Kiwi shit all over the GB thread. What goes around....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

We endured months of Kiwi shit all over the GB thread. What goes around....

True enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dogwatch said:

And in the wrong thread.

You are correct, we often forget which thread we are in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dogwatch said:

But I am, so are at least some others here. If you aren't interested, don't read those posts. It is not mandatory and there will not be a test later.

So now expressing an opinion gains an aggressive response? FFS! Lighten up. Would you be so in someone's face if the conversation was in a bar instead of behind a computer screen and keyboard? Doubtful!

Maybe i am more mercenary than you Dogwatch but if the sports sponsorship world was so squeaky clean with absolutely everything there would likely be nothing to watch on ESPN.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

if the sports sponsorship world was so squeaky clean with absolutely everything there would likely be nothing to watch on ESPN.

 

Would just mean that managers, sportspeople, coaches, agents and the rest would not get paid as much.And AC campaigns would be cheaper

Not necessarily a bad thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Would just mean that managers, sportspeople, coaches, agents and the rest would not get paid as much.And AC campaigns would be cheaper

Not necessarily a bad thing

I don't think that is likely as commissions are usually paid at a fixed or agreed rate agreed by the sponsee (if that is a word). The point I was making was about the criticism of how some sponsors made their money or what their political leanings were.

I stand by my point that as long as it isn't mucky money (illegal) we should be happy they want to invest some of their spare funds in our sport. 

It is difficult to deny sportspeople the right to earn as much as possible in what is often a relatively short career compared to us mere mortals. They need agents to do the grunty work of securing the best deal, coaches make them better and most sailing coaches actually work very hard and are not paid the fortune some people obviously think they do and like any endeavour the whole process requires management.

To attract the correct talent in any business -  and when sponsorship becomes involved IT IS A business the recompense has to be at least commensurate with the market at large.

Or you could just do it on the cheap and what d you get? No surprise a cheap product! 

Talent costs!!

I know - I have experienced "not enough budget" and what do you get? "Not enough result!" Then people wonder why success eluded them.

For example at the China Club Challenge Match we could have continued to use keen locals to handle the umpires but decided that to take the event to the next level we should bring in International Umpires. That meant raising more sponsorship but over the last 6 years or so the event has been elevated to the 'must do' event in China (no prize money) and for the last 3 years running the largest one design keelboat regatta in Asia   

Fund a project correctly across all disciplines required and you have a successful campaign both on the playing field and in terms of ROI for the sponsors. Most recent one was DFRT in the VOR. Fully funded, victory in the event and the sponsors having all the ROI boxes ticked. 

If you want cheap go cheap but the AC has never been about being "cheaper".

I would also suggest that compared to other sports, although an AC campaign appears expensive (and it is) the athletes, in the main, are paid paupers wages compared to soccer, NFL, NBA etc 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, 14sailor said:

How about weybitha less of an issue with space and shipping traffic.

Not a chance in heaven, does not fit with the narative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shanghaisailor said:

So now expressing an opinion gains an aggressive response? FFS! Lighten up. Would you be so in someone's face if the conversation was in a bar instead of behind a computer screen and keyboard? Doubtful!

I'm baffled why you consider my mildly humorous reply to be aggressive. It certainly wasn't intended as such. But yes, I'd say exactly the same in a bar, perhaps the humour would be more evident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing as we are discussing humour, I would just like to say that the longest winning streak in history is England's Piss taking championships wins.  From 55 BC to present day . No one  has ever even come near to us....until this week when New Zealand challenged our lead with this new entry...

Screenshot (1806).png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2021 at 5:19 AM, 167149 said:

best you read up a little on Charlie Barr

Not just those here who might want to read up on Charlie Barr.

The America's Cup Hall of Fame write him up as English. Trust me, that is way worse than calling an Englishman a pom.

He has a record as a Cup skipper that has been equalled but never beaten and unlike DC he didn't lose any.

See ya on the water
SS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Q said:

Yep I'd love to see the AC in the waters between Cowes and Southampton..

 

 

That ship is not there all the time....Must have been TH on the yacht grinding and looking down.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dogwatch said:

I'm baffled why you consider my mildly humorous reply to be aggressive. It certainly wasn't intended as such. But yes, I'd say exactly the same in a bar, perhaps the humour would be more evident.

Apologies then. The age (at least the electronic age) old problem of the written word in an email or post not being able to transmit 'tone'.

Like a bar though, a mild disagreement would probably be forgotten by the next race night

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Not just those here who might want to read up on Charlie Barr.

The America's Cup Hall of Fame write him up as English. Trust me, that is way worse than calling an Englishman a pom.

He has a record as a Cup skipper that has been equalled but never beaten and unlike DC he didn't lose any.

See ya on the water
SS

It says Scottish in my little red book of history?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites