Salty Seacock

Emirates Team New Zealand.

4 minutes ago, Tommy22 said:

Any pictures yet? 

Wasn't allowed to take my phone in the shed this morning. She is out the front now. Will wait for a few hours to ensure everything is public knowledge before I comment.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kenergy said:

Fuck I hope the boys go sailing soon.

This is like sitting in a pub in the UK on a dismal winter sunday discussing which is the best real ale and reminiscing about all the times England nearly won some important sports event. 

Well, seeing as we aren't allowed to go to the pubs at the moment..... :lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Q said:

Yep I'd love to see the AC in the waters between Cowes and Southampton..

Just like the Manly Ferries on Sydney Harbour - but a bit less threatening. ;-)

6 minutes ago, qwerty123 said:

Team NZ have just capsized. 

not according to the webcam as at 10 am

well they went out without a mast ... so either your eyes are wrong or the boat is in worse shape then patriot

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

I often have said that one of the most creative pieces of education is how many American universities can stretch a degree in American History out to a 3  year course

Most degrees at American Universities take 4 years.

Sorry

8 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

But... think we are getting ahead of ourselves... 

Like we regrettably did in RWC'-JPN:angry:

16 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

140807080_3931227140262580_2114160634304922386_n.jpg

Looks like initial testing of new foils. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, WetHog said:

Cue the reflecting back of past kiwi jibes such as

Obviously NZ panicking at the speed of GB and changing everything

;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, enigmatically2 said:

;)

Obviously. ;-)

3 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

;)

Posted a while ago was on the cards, perfect sense to implement now while challs are busy and they have some time and copy window is gone.

Why don't you start talking about the seaside in the UK of brexit again?

59 minutes ago, WetHog said:

Foil

No pictures yet? Looks like she’s away again.

is it similar to previous foils? I’m sure all the spies will have seen now 

58 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

;)

This is the last thing the team are thinking about talking to a few of them today. 

• Like 2

Interesting to me that they're back to a tow test on first day with new foils, if that is the case?. They did this with boat1, but wasn't boat 2 just launched and sailed almost same day? Its a fresh day in Akld, but plenty sailable I would have thought. image.thumb.png.a0fa145f61c0dcc70eda383900853e89.png

3 minutes ago, Nodrog said:

Interesting to me that they're back to a tow test on first day with new foils, if that is the case?. They did this with boat1, but wasn't boat 2 just launched and sailed almost same day? Its a fresh day in Akld, but plenty sailable I would have thought. image.thumb.png.a0fa145f61c0dcc70eda383900853e89.png

Probably want to make sure they work as advertised before committing to using both of them? Once two are wet then allocations are finished?

8 minutes ago, Nodrog said:

Already new the foils for boat 2 so no need 

hook up a stress gauge on the rope, if the boats weighed the same then they can tow it about and compare to the previous foils with no variables such as sails

2 hours ago, Barnyb said:

Is it possible to get some nice pictures of the new foils? I might have a go at tracing them Giorgio Piola F1 style... it can't be that hard can it?

NZ, realized the italians were smart removing the backstays, so they went after the biggest drag element and removed the mast!

And with the crash of the americans, they also realized they dont need that much power to sail the boat, so the removal of the mast is the next step in winning the AC.

Regards,

D.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, barfy said:

Why don't you start talking about the seaside in the UK of brexit again?

None of the places mentioned are what would be termed as 'Seaside' in the UK, one was the biggest US army marine repair base outside the USA, one is a large navel port/harbour and one was the scene of another GB triumph which was the Schneider trophy but none what you would describe as seaside.

Brexit looking pretty good, over 4 million covid vaccinations administered because we were free to do our own thing.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Nodrog said:

Significantly different foil that requires a new level of thinking/control for Tuke

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WakaNZ said:

Significantly different foil that requires a new level of thinking/control for Tuke

Rudder or main foil? 

40 minutes ago, Bazzer-racing said:

None of the places mentioned are what would be termed as 'Seaside' in the UK, one was the biggest US army marine repair base outside the USA, one is a large navel port/harbour and one was the scene of another GB triumph which was the Schneider trophy but none what you would describe as seaside.

Brexit looking pretty good, over 4 million covid vaccinations administered because we were free to do our own thing.

The idiots running this country told us we would be first in the queue for the vaccine but it turns out they haven't even worked out where the queue is. They are deflecting by saying they are waiting until it is proven safe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WakaNZ said:

Main

just put us out of our misery  :lol: ... the one grainy picture from the webcam looked like the foil nose was gone

if my sources are correct this foil will be approx 30% thicker in cord ... not holding my breath over that one

6 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

I often have said that one of the most creative pieces of education is how many American universities can stretch a degree in American History out to a 3  year course

Kind of ridiculous statement since it is a large country that has been around 400 or more years. The history is all written down and quite dynamic. 

6 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

But they do tend to creep up on you. Imagine 0130; 2 white masthead lights heading your way (ship over 50m); Yachtmaster examiner breathing down your neck; can i cross?

After countless hundreds of time and distance mental calculations from years of racing I reckoned I could make it.

I was well on my way when the examiner screamed in my lug-hole "Go left - full throttle" so i went left full throttle thinking i had screwed up.

A few minutes later we were illuminated by a spotlight from the harbour-master's launch as the VHF sparked into life "Why did you turn away, you would have comfortably cleared?"

Twat failed me!! No mention of the incident at the turning into Southampton Water.  

Hey ho - gave me another opportunity to have a couple of days sailing on the Solent - great place to sail but the Scottish West Coast is better

I know the feeling.  Did my coastal in front of Poole, my Offshore between Weymouth and Poole and my ocean in the Tasman. Tasman was easiest as no fecking examiner on board! I passed but on one of the exams did have a disagreement with the examiner but the long of it was he did not fail me.

1 hour ago, Bazzer-racing said:

4 million possibly pointless vaccinations if the second one isn't done in time 

45 minutes ago, WakaNZ said:

what I was thinking

1 hour ago, Bazzer-racing said:

Plenty of seaside places on the Isle of Wight. Some of them very picturesque, as I recall.

So I guess nobody got shots of the foils today...:mellow:

47 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Kind of ridiculous statement since it is a large country that has been around 400 or more years. The history is all written down and quite dynamic. 

Can't you recognise a wind up when you see one?

2 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Can't you recognise a wind up when you see one?

I didn't take time to analyse it, but I can recognize an asshole.

4 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Most degrees at American Universities take 4 years.

Sorry

Even more creative then but seems i upset some with no sense of humour

• Like 1

6 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Not really. Until quite recently Scots and Welsh were happy to use English as a synonym of British and so referred to themselves as English sometimes. 

Not that we mind being called poms either. Or limeys. Never seemed offensive at all to me

Blimey, I am no Nationalist but you must know some strange Scots. Calling Scots, English is the same as calling a Canuck a Yank or a Kiwi an Aussie. In fact jokingly many New Zealanders call Australia 'The Big Island'.

Of course you are less likely to mind being called a pom or a limey because you are one ;):P But a Scot is a Scot, just as Welsh is Welsh, Irish is Irish, come to think of it Cornish is Cornish. Note the similarity - Celtic roots, not Germanic.  End of the day though, although it is nice to have an identity does it really matter? Actually yes if someone calls you English.:lol:

Often here in China i am asked if I am "Ingworen" (English but covers British). I correct and tell them "Soogalandren". I get a completely different, and more favourable, reaction.

Really though it should be a fun subject rather than something people get up tight about and i am just as proud to be a Brit as I am a Scot

Stay well and keep wearing the mask

SS

• Like 2

1 hour ago, southseasbill said:

The idiots running this country told us we would be first in the queue for the vaccine but it turns out they haven't even worked out where the queue is. They are deflecting by saying they are waiting until it is proven safe.

Which country do you live in? we don't need the Vaccine (only greedy people? perhaps)

48 minutes ago, uflux said:

So I guess nobody got shots of the foils today...:mellow:

Yes but they wont release them until TNZ thinks it is public?

12 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

Which country do you live in? we don't need the Vaccine (only greedy people? perhaps)

There are plenty of cases in managed isolation. You willing to work in that management without being vaccinated.

15 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

We are one sneeze away from needing it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pusslicker said:

I didn't take time to analyse it, but I can recognize an asshole.

well if your activity is anything related to your screen name you probably have seen quite a few.

Why do those of limited intelligence miss all the intermediate wind up steps and dive straight down to the insult level? 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Barnyb said:

I can’t remember anyone (including ETNZ) tow testing a proven boat with new foils. 

17 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

I can’t remember anyone (including ETNZ) tow testing a proven boat with new foils. 

You might do that if you've amended/modified your foil flap and/or elevator control system...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Barnyb said:

For those interested, that is New Zealand's entire navy in the background!

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

Haha

22 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

It's funny, because its true 

1 hour ago, WakaNZ said:

For those interested, that is New Zealand's entire navy in the background

No problem. We can always rely on our airforce. No wait.......

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

They are in the background of that shot too

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

17 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

They are in the background of that shot too

#Aussiesgotyaback :) said the now aussie, balclutha born boy....

4 minutes ago, Flags said:

#Aussiesgotyaback :) said the now aussie, balclutha born boy....

The Chinese got Trump And Schomo all fired up and got us Aussies some good guns , jets , ships and gear now.     
#wegotu 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NZL3481 said:

You might do that if you've amended/modified your foil flap and/or elevator control system...

Because the rule amendments were not so keen on them watching TV?

5 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Because the rule amendments were not so keen on them watching TV?

Nah they just installed the fly by wire system 

6 hours ago, I ride bikes said:

4 million possibly pointless vaccinations if the second one isn't done in time 

Mate don't believe all that stuff, first vaccine gives about 50% efficiency. Then it is well known and proven that these type of vaccines work very well with a 3 month period until the second jab.

Some folk are onto their second vaccine in any case, I know a lot of people who have had the first jab.

We may screw up on this but I doubt it, the whole thing is a gamble. So is life.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Plenty of seaside places on the Isle of Wight. Some of them very picturesque, as I recall.

You are right, I was being provocative, nevertheless of the mentioned places Gosport, Hythe, Calshot then only Calshot can even be described as remotely 'seaside' and there is no space at Calshot without knocking down the Schneider trophy hangers which now contain an Olympic velodrome which we need for training the Gold medallist cyclists, then also there are ski slopes and indoor climbing rockfaces.

3 hours ago, Barnyb said:

They simply don't need a bigger navy. Who is going to attack them? Nowadays the Navy is simply used to patrol waters and keep Larry Ellison at bay from trying to steal the cup with force. On the subject of Larry and the F50's can't wait to see the Kiwis line up against the others when this is over. Ben and Pete will be hard to beat especially with their involvement in this regatta. 

6 hours ago, Kiwing said:

Would not have harmed to order 8 million jabs just to be sure, we ordered 140 million jabs 'sight unseen' but that is what you have to do when you have International responsibility.

23 minutes ago, Bazzer-racing said:

You are right, I was being provocative, nevertheless of the mentioned places Gosport, Hythe, Calshot then only Calshot can even be described as remotely 'seaside' and there is no space at Calshot without knocking down the Schneider trophy hangers which now contain an Olympic velodrome which we need for training the Gold medallist cyclists, then also there are ski slopes and indoor climbing rockfaces.

Er... HAYLING ISLAND! You forgot Hayling Island! It's got a funfair. And a miniature railway. If that doesn't make it seaside (beside it being beside the sea) then  I don't know what does!

Oh, and the velodrome at calshot is by no measure Olympic, it's significantly smaller, and as a result has much tighter turns and steeper sides. It's much more akin to a 'wall of death' than an Olympic velodrome track. 

image.jpeg.a05c663b0abcd6dee59aedb284b5e2ad.jpeg

1 minute ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Any pictures of the new foil? If there is one?

I am missing our crack S.A.S. squad!

[Sailing Anarchy Spies]

3 hours ago, Barnyb said:

And this is their airforce

paper-plane.jpg

9 minutes ago, Flippin Out said:

And this is their airforce

paper-plane.jpg

Settle down mate. That's a bit fancy:D

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Er... HAYLING ISLAND! You forgot Hayling Island! It's got a funfair. And a miniature railway. If that doesn't make it seaside (beside it being beside the sea) then  I don't know what does!

Oh, and the velodrome at calshot is by no measure Olympic, it's significantly smaller, and as a result has much tighter turns and steeper sides. It's much more akin to a 'wall of death' than an Olympic velodrome track. 

image.jpeg.a05c663b0abcd6dee59aedb284b5e2ad.jpeg

Mozzy

Are you sure about that? Certainly it is the only velodrome south of London, I used to ride it in its previous incarnation with a trainer called Harry Jackson, that was when the boards where like your photo, now they are aligned with the flow.

You maybe right but it remains a very useful resource and never let fact get in the way of a good wind up !!

Yeah it’s not full Olympic size, it is used for training but not full top level squad 

6 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Yeah it’s not full Olympic size, it is used for training but not full top level squad 

You talking about the swimming pool or the NZ navy?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bazzer-racing said:

Mozzy

Are you sure about that? Certainly it is the only velodrome south of London, I used to ride it in its previous incarnation with a trainer called Harry Jackson, that was when the boards where like your photo, now they are aligned with the flow.

You maybe right but it remains a very useful resource and never let fact get in the way of a good wind up !!

Yup, I know Harry Jackson, and he has trained me at Calshot. I am member of Harry's club (Portsmouth North End) and did a bit of road racing for them between 2014-2017. I started sailing more again in 2018 so cycling has taken a back seat. But Harry is our club VP. 

The track is, and has always been undersized. I didn't actually know the boards were once the wrong way as well though! Olympic velodrome is 250m, calshot is about 150 I think. 

7 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Yup, I know Harry Jackson, and he has trained me at Calshot. I am member of Harry's club (Portsmouth North End) and did a bit of road racing for them between 2014-2017. I started sailing more again in 2018 so cycling has taken a back seat. But Harry is our club VP. 

The track is, and has always been undersized. I didn't actually know the boards were once the wrong way as well though! Olympic velodrome is 250m, calshot is about 150 I think. 

The elite program is based at Manchester. There are also full-sized tracks at Derby, Newport, Stratford and Glasgow (pending independence), so no need for then to train on the wall of death. Calshot's very actively used at grassroots level though, so definitely an important bit of cycling infrastructure. Don't know whether it's true, but I read that the original track was a cut-down 6-day track from Belgium, but they had to cut it down to fit it into the hangar which is why it was such a funny shape.

28 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Harry used to run quite informal training sessions down at Calshot in the 1970's I would say I was going down there around 1975 to 76, the boards were defo against the flow !! The bikes used to shudder quite a bit on the bends.

Those were times gone by, we just used to pitch up, no questions asked no money paid, Harry told us how to get going and then encouraged us to compete, great stuff.

Really appreciate your input on track size.

2 hours ago, Bazzer-racing said:

Would not have harmed to order 8 million jabs just to be sure, we ordered 140 million jabs 'sight unseen' but that is what you have to do when you have International responsibility.

We've got enough ordered for us and our Pacific mates, just waiting to see if it's safe before we start up. 

Our international responsibility is just fine thanks. 

23 minutes ago, kenergy said:

We've got enough ordered for us and our Pacific mates, just waiting to see if it's safe before we start up. 

I know its off topic, but you are saying that NZ has not passed any of the vaccines as safe? Even though all of Europe and USA have? I'm genuinely interested as to why that might be. I'm also slightly surprised that you aren't in a joint approval arrangement with Aus for example

45 minutes ago, kenergy said:

Our international responsibility is just fine thanks. 

Bollocks is the answer to the first line.

None is the answer to the second line.

Third line should read 'making excuses for being an outlying back water' !!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, terrafirma said:

They simply don't need a bigger navy. Who is going to attack them? 

You not been following news from north of you, e.g. the freedom of navigation challenges then?

Hell, we're even supposed to be sending a carrier task force over there this year (not sure how Covid affects that though) under the 5-powers agreement

5 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

I know its off topic, but you are saying that NZ has not passed any of the vaccines as safe? Even though all of Europe and USA have? I'm genuinely interested as to why that might be. I'm also slightly surprised that you aren't in a joint approval arrangement with Aus for example

My understanding is that no country has approved the vaccines yet.  Some have authorised it for emergency use.  New Zealand doesn't have an emergency.  Medsafe, who would approve the drug is (and often does) working with their Australian counterpart. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Nowadays the Navy is simply used to patrol waters and keep Larry Ellison at bay from trying to steal the cup with force. 

...and assist in the successful rescue of sinking Americas Cup boats. 

19 hours ago, Barnyb said:

Having looked at this again, there is no tow line. #Revolutionary

:ph34r:

• Like 2