Salty Seacock

Emirates Team New Zealand.

44 minutes ago, yl75 said:

You mean wikipedia is wrong, regarding New Zealand ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand

And I know the maoris arrived quite late in NZ, but still there before.., no ?

As predicted your ignorance is evident in both attemps to disprove it

a) that you think there is no more to this nation than those that came to colonise it over 200 years ago

b) in your attempt at using the indigenous people of this nation as nothing more than a punch line, you couldn't even get their name right.

Cleary if your insights are just going to be copy and pasted from Wikipedia yout aren't going to get very far. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

There's probably a bit to learn from stuffing a 75ft bot down the mine, and they're keeping it to themselves.

Hopefully it'll come out one day.  If not we can watch the challenger demonstrate during the finals.

The only way the bow went in big time was because the rudder foil let go.

I'm not convinced that they would be wanting to advertise that anytime soon...

59 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

a) that you think there is no more to this nation than those that came to colonise it over 200 years ago

lol...

economic-expansion-1.jpg?itok=_P8b0HDy

2 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Selective memory.  AM was off sailing again in about 5-10 minutes.  

But they didn’t say a word afterward did they. Not for a couple of days. Besides as noted, the conditions exceeded that of race conditions, so maybe they were done for the day anyway. 

Pete and Blair appear to have got out of traction pretty quick

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

There may be a reason why the AM B2 bow looks like a dreadnaught.  When these boats dive nose first during an AC race, it will be at full race speed and violent.  I assume AM hopes to pop out of it.

Yeah, but we’ve seen that story play out before. 

DBD19316-D8FE-43B9-B0BF-FDBE29F1B2D1.jpeg

6 hours ago, NZL3481 said:

The only way the bow went in big time was because the rudder foil let go.

I'm not convinced that they would be wanting to advertise that anytime soon...

And yet it that’s the only way it can happen, there’s no danger in advertising the fact, is there?

Am I correct in thinking I'm seeing Emirates Team New Zealand flying their foils almost on the surface?  Video seen today shows the foil breaking the surface - is this a new thing?

About my msgs from yesterday, was kind of drunk, sorry about that ...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, basildog said:

Am I correct in thinking I'm seeing Emirates Team New Zealand flying their foils almost on the surface?  Video seen today shows the foil breaking the surface - is this a new thing?

Both NZ and AM have been testing the canting of their foils, to the point where they break the surface... probably trying to optimise lateral (windward) lift.

3 hours ago, basildog said:

The video I just mentioned

Yup there's some discussion that got moved to the foil thread. Could be deliberately ventilating one side to lower drag when up to speed.

• Like 1

Still kissing on the odd tack (as they all are from what I have seen). I'm still unsure whether the winner will be the boat the minimises that or the one that is fastest between.

Maybe that will be eliminated on one, some or all of the B2s but I doubt hull shape would make much difference tbh

Now that is the kind of sailing that can put a smile on your opponents (and their fans) face. 

But all too often, what goes around, comes around.

Hopefully all or most of the teams will be able to keep that kind of stuff to a minimum when actually racing.

I guess you don't know where 10 tenths is until you push to 11 tenths!

1 hour ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Looks like someone hit the wrong button!

In all honesty that can't be the 50 knot dive that presaged the capsize. They are not going fast enough and there isn't enough water on board as per the official photo.

I suspect they were driving it like they stole it as they headed to the end of their time on that hull. I suspect they thought they might get a day or two more out of it though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, P Flados said:

Now that is the kind of sailing that can put a smile on your opponents (and their fans) face. 

But all too often, what goes around, comes around.

Hopefully all or most of the teams will be able to keep that kind of stuff to a minimum when actually racing.

Smiling at every spill. I can relate! Also to anyone who looks at mere spills and keeps thinking "This is a shitshow! Look at all the crashes! These aren't real boats!" I reply "None of them have snapped down the middle and plummeted to the bottom of the ocean". This is unequivocally better than lead.

DRC

• Like 2

Dave, you point on spills rings so true given how high UFO sailing is on spill probability and frequency :D.    

And for the rest of your post, someone might note that you are unfairly biased toward foiling boats ;).

Bring it on!

Interesting to hear TH mention that ETNZ b2 has already been delivered to the shed this week. So not long to go now.

Also that they were clocked at over 50 knots during a bear away before their capsize. Drive it like you stole it!!

He also seemed pretty impressed with the new ENTZ foil 

On 10/13/2020 at 12:38 PM, phill_nz said:

ohh yehh really great practical ones

Taumatawhakatangihangakōauauotamateapōkaiwhenuakitānatahu

This place name has a beautiful back story. All New Zealanders should know about Tamatea his lost love and his story. A truly legendary man. 

On 10/15/2020 at 7:11 AM, basildog said:

The video I just mentioned

Sorry If I am late to the game on this discussion. So it looks like the headsail trimmer is driving after the tack.  I was trying to keep the bodies straight and it looks like there is a driver change at 1:35.  Grinder trims the headsail through the tack/gybe (4:00) and then the hands off.  Who is that trimmer? This is also great video for watching what looks like them cambering the bottom of the sail (boom ram off?) post tack...

• Like 1

Is that B2 on viaduct webcam? On second thoughts is it Te Aihe?

Doesn’t look like she’s about to go sailing... I wonder what’s happening 

2 minutes ago, P Flados said:

Could it be that ETNZ are going to pass on the two boat allowance.

Is there anything in the rules that says you have to stop developing your first boat?  If not why wouldn't you make improvements?  

37 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

Kicked out of the shed....

1140497-01.jpeg

As good as mothballed...B2 might arrive sooner than anyone thought - including ETNZ...

16 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

As good as mothballed...B2 might arrive sooner than anyone thought - including ETNZ...

In the Protocol it says "only one boat hull can be modified up to 25%" - what does that mean?

25 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

In the Protocol it says "only one boat hull can be modified up to 25%" - what does that mean?

Keep reading

8 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Keep reading

I have but can't trace the changes.  It says in the Class Rule refer to the Protocol.  The web page says 25% on hull.  The Protocol says 12.5% EACH hull.  However there was a rule clarification somewhere that may point to where the 25% comes from.

Rather than get a smart answer I was postulating whether or not ETNZ's Te Aihe is going to get some hull changes rather than be completely mothballed.  Unless B2 is radically different wouldn't you want to modify your existing boat to align with the second boat?

Well NZ said that their B2 would push the envelope. As did GB and look what we got from them.

So I assume B2 is different. Seems a waste to try and change B1. If B2 works then you don't need it. If it doesn't them you don't want B1 like it.

I know breakages cam happen but if it's the whole boat then you are in a bad way.

Of course I did suggest that the damage might spell the end for B1 and was just told that nothing had happened

10 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

I was postulating whether or not ETNZ's Te Aihe is going to get some hull changes rather than be completely mothballed. 

Te Aihe almost certainly sailed her last day this past week. It hasn’t sailed since the dump in a bareaway at over 50 knots, great way out! Love it.

B2 arrived at the ETNZ base at 5:15 am last Monday morning.. 

^ TH made an interesting comment when TE displayed a slide of Te Aihe capsized. He said something like “Yep, they were looking good, topping 50 through that bareaway. They were working a small rudder foil and an aggressively small starboard main foil, as you can see in the air.” 

7 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Of course I did suggest that the damage might spell the end for B1 and was just told that nothing had happened

Na I seriously doubt that that nose dive would have damaged the hull.  It isn't like they were doing  50 knots and slammed into a jetty - the forces on the appendages would have been no different to foiling upright and the nose would have dissipated the forces.

Personally if I had a team that had buckets of money (ETNZ don't) then I'd be using the protocol to modify B1 to be closer to B2.  Insurance policy for one.

Yip. Looks pretty packed down. 

Just saw Mayo and Calder walk past too. It would seem that they’re neither at the bottom of the ocean nor in their country of origin. 

23403A66-E024-4994-9658-D7EAF4850AA4.jpeg

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

B2 arrived at the ETNZ base at 5:15 am last Monday morning.. 

how has this only just been mentioned

11 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Yip. Looks pretty packed down. 

Just saw Mayo and Calder walk past too. It would seem that they’re neither at the bottom of the ocean nor in their country of origin. 

23403A66-E024-4994-9658-D7EAF4850AA4.jpeg

Looks pretty intact too and not obvious damage.  Suggest someone tail it and see if it heads to a boat builders yard behind closed doors.

7 minutes ago, MrBump said:

how has this only just been mentioned

I mentioned it a couple of days ago. Latest TH interview...:rolleyes:

Just now, uflux said:

must have lost it amongst the other informative discussions happening

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, uflux said:

Yes you did. Am not sure if it was ‘Monday’  at 5:15 but TH did chuckle about their recon team having photos. Do you remember if he named the day or was it ‘early this week’ ?

Just now, Stingray~ said:

Yes you did. Am not sure if it was ‘Monday’  at 5:15 but TH did chuckle about their recon team having photos. Do you remember if he named the day or was it ‘early this week’ ?

I think he just said early in the week. Definitely an interview worth people looking at. A few interesting statements about ETNZ

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, uflux said:

I think he just said early in the week. Definitely an interview worth people looking at. A few interesting statements about ETNZ

Hutch is a gentleman, and I can't see him getting into the nonsense we saw from Spitty and others (including Barker in AC35) during AC34 & 35.

Interesting that there were some elements of the NZ media who blamed Hutch for the 1-second loss to Alinghi in Valencia, claiming they should have taken their penalty turn earlier instead of trying it on the line. At least they've renewed their partnership with Barker from Valencia, with (from memory) one Ben Ainslie also part of the team and who some felt should have taken over from Barker in at least one of the races.

4 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Is there anything in the rules that says you have to stop developing your first boat?  If not why wouldn't you make improvements?  

There's nothing to say Te Aihe isn't going back to the shed...

2 hours ago, Indio said:

Hutch is a gentleman, and I can't see him getting into the nonsense we saw from Spitty and others (including Barker in AC35) during AC34 & 35.

Interesting that there were some elements of the NZ media who blamed Hutch for the 1-second loss to Alinghi in Valencia, claiming they should have taken their penalty turn earlier instead of trying it on the line. At least they've renewed their partnership with Barker from Valencia, with (from memory) one Ben Ainslie also part of the team and who some felt should have taken over from Barker in at least one of the races.

Still don't understand why DB decided to tack twice instead of carrying speed through and jibing, but I guess he's the pro...

Just now, ivansh said:

Still don't understand why DB decided to tack twice instead of carrying speed through and jibing, but I guess he's the pro...

I understand it was Ray Davies' call..

3 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Looks pretty intact too and not obvious damage.  Suggest someone tail it and see if it heads to a boat builders yard behind closed doors.

Did they not tow it back on its foils after the splat?

If so it probably wasn’t too badly damaged. 

6 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

This is a great video!

All I could say to that reporter is: "You lucky lucky bastard!"  B)

A lot of electric powered hydraulic pump noises. Do rules allow to power flaps on foiling arms with batteries?

4 minutes ago, dorox said:

A lot of electric powered hydraulic pump noises. Do rules allow to power flaps on foiling arms with batteries?

They use Maxon dc motors,, so yes...

3 hours ago, uflux said:

It was funny how he dropped that bit of news.  They were talking about when the other boats were launching and he said that the NZ boat had arrived at 5:15 in the morning earlier last week, "not that we were watching"....  They have pictures of it....

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

It was funny how he dropped that bit of news.  They were talking about when the other boats were launching and he said that the NZ boat had arrived at 5:15 in the morning earlier last week, "not that we were watching"....  They have pictures of it....

I have a lot of time for Hutch dating back to when he and Kevin Hall were members of ETNZ in Valencia. No harm in dropping in a little mischief given ETNZ never said anything about receiving their Te Aihe II

Team New Zealand's crew for 36th America's Cup: Blair Tuke, Peter Burling, Glenn Ashby, Ray Davies, Simon van Velthooven, Josh Junior, Joe Sullivan, Andy Maloney, Carlo Huisman, Guy Endean, Louis Sinclair, Steven Ferguson, Marcus Hansen and Marius van der Pol.

Do ETNZ run 6 or 8 grinders? Assuming Tuke, Burling, Ashby and Davies are starters, that leaves only 7 grinders, which must mean Tuke or Davies grinding part-time? I'm guessing Tuke will control the foils, Ashby the sails, Davies tactics?

Don't think I like having Davies on the boat...

Just now, Indio said:

Team New Zealand's crew for 36th America's Cup: Blair Tuke, Peter Burling, Glenn Ashby, Ray Davies, Simon van Velthooven, Josh Junior, Joe Sullivan, Andy Maloney, Carlo Huisman, Guy Endean, Louis Sinclair, Steven Ferguson, Marcus Hansen and Marius van der Pol.

Do ETNZ run 6 or 8 grinders? Assuming Tuke, Burling, Ashby and Davies are starters, that leaves only 7 grinders, which must mean Tuke or Davies grinding part-time? I'm guessing Tuke will control the foils, Ashby the sails, Davies tactics?

Don't think I like having Davies on the boat...

Davies won't be  on board. You are assuming the races will be classic match racing which is Davies forte.  Burling, Tuke and Ashby don't need any on the water help.

I am very surprised to not see any comments about this...

Some about "unknown damage".

RIP Te Ahie. That's not mothballed, that's a complete write off.

That's complete internal structure failure.

400310273_TEAIHE-DAMAGE.thumb.jpg.90f714dd0f5b615ff929a8faf803b10b.jpg

1615817454_TEAIHE-NORMAL.jpg.4fb83328c55a27322dc4e25ad5b4488c.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Davies won't be  on board. You are assuming the races will be classic match racing which is Davies forte.  Burling, Tuke and Ashby don't need any on the water help.

My thoughts exactly. Which leaves 2 reserve grinders to swap out as needed between races..that'll be tough!!

43 minutes ago, darth reapius said:

Or a simple reflection.

43 minutes ago, darth reapius said:

Yip. It’s fucked, and they left it on the dock for people to take photos of it. 

47 minutes ago, darth reapius said:

just looks like a reflection to me, 

4 minutes ago, Qman said:

just looks like a reflection to me, 

8 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Or a simple reflection.

The paint is fucked in the sharp top left section of the "damage" just above the Toyota (T) logo, The reflections are all wavy, and the shadow on the boat from the cradle dips in what appears to be where the hull has creased.

Look at how the reflections bend in around there the crease where it enters the foil bearing divit. It's the same side of the hull as the foil they were using in the bear-nose dive which coincidentally was the last moment this boat sailed.

I reckon when the hull hit the water and the foil was under load this has caused the boat to "fold".

I am way more convinced now the boat is fucked than I was before having a closer look.

TE AIHE - DAMAGE - Close.jpg

16 minutes ago, darth reapius said:

The paint is fucked in the sharp top left section of the "damage" just above the Toyota (T) logo, The reflections are all wavy, and the shadow on the boat from the cradle dips in what appears to be where the hull has creased.

Look at how the reflections bend in around there the crease where it enters the foil bearing divit. It's the same side of the hull as the foil they were using in the bear-nose dive which coincidentally was the last moment this boat sailed.

I reckon when the hull hit the water and the foil was under load this has caused the boat to "fold".

I am way more convinced now the boat is fucked than I was before having a closer look.

I think it was @mikenz2 who shared these pics, which I suspect means he took em too, whilst out on a parambulation. I think he would have noticed in real life 3d if there was deformation on the surface. Perhaps he can tell us if he saw anything.

I'm pretty sure we are just seeing the reflection of a large dark box (container) that was sitting next to the boat.

20 minutes ago, darth reapius said:

Does carbon deform like that though?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, darth reapius said:

Yeah nah that’s a reflection on the hull bro. I doubt ETNZ would leave a broken hull for all to see like that :ph34r:

45 minutes ago, darth reapius said:

Look at the foil arm "divit" there's no cracking, or delamination. Its simply a trick of reflection.

• Like 1

If it's not damage, then perhaps the boat is headed off for some modification. They are allowed to race their own boats against one another (two boat testing), so they surely wouldn't give up that opportunity come the Louis Vuitton Cup racing....

7 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Na I seriously doubt that that nose dive would have damaged the hull.  It isn't like they were doing  50 knots and slammed into a jetty - the forces on the appendages would have been no different to foiling upright and the nose would have dissipated the forces.

Personally if I had a team that had buckets of money (ETNZ don't) then I'd be using the protocol to modify B1 to be closer to B2.  Insurance policy for one.

Stupid strawman is stupid. Who suggested the hull is damaged? They said there was damage to the steering pedestal. I suggest it was serious enough they would bin B1 and move to B2. Which is what happened

Just now, enigmatically2 said:

Stupid strawman is stupid. Who suggested the hull is damaged? They said there was damage to the steering pedestal. I suggest it was serious enough they would bin B1 and move to B2. Which is what happened

No one has "binned" anything. B1 has simply reached the end of its current training cycle, and the team is preparing B2 for launch, as it was always going to do.

57 minutes ago, darth reapius said:

That’s a vivid imagination. You should work for Pixar. 

On the red section there is at least a dent/compression and a crease that shows paint peeling,

the way the reflection deviates from the top of the Toyota logo to the red section and then diagonally downwards to the bearing housing doesn’t look consistent with what is next to the boat 

8333E63B-855A-4F3B-84B2-532AB4FAA22F.jpeg

DFC6FE5F-7C0E-4884-AE7E-B3DF0D4A48F0.jpeg

8E444524-0EA8-4941-9E03-F6ABA4BD9690.jpeg

2 hours ago, darth reapius said:

Skin wrinking, the laminate has buckled so boat needs work to be operational again??? Depending on internal structure arrangement it could be a big or small repair.

Only thing I can't figure out is if it was global bending or a local moment at the arm hinge. Usual suspect is global bending, but these aren't usual boats.

Combined with ripping a pedestal out it might've been quicker to work on B2 than repair B1.

47 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Does carbon deform like that though?

Yep, buckled, delam, pop back straightish once load is released.

Althought on second thoughts, at a tightish radius like that it would probably crack some of the skin.

• Like 1

Team New Zealand's crew for 36th America's Cup: Blair Tuke, Peter Burling, Glenn Ashby, Ray Davies, Simon van Velthooven, Josh Junior, Joe Sullivan, Andy Maloney, Carlo Huisman, Guy Endean, Louis Sinclair, Steven Ferguson, Marcus Hansen and Marius van der Pol.

The AC75's are supposed to run a crew of 11, which my pick would be, the big 3, Burling, Tuke and Ashby, followed by Junior and Maloney, jib trimming and floater, then the power houses, Sullivan, Van Velthoven along with Steven Ferguson, Endean, Louis Sinclair and Huisman. Hansen and Van Der Pol would sub in and out I would think.

5 hours ago, Indio said:
5 hours ago, ivansh said:

I understand it was Ray Davies' call..

The big mistake was taking the left gate at the bottom of the previous run. No one could understand that decision and it lined up the penalty gladly pounced on by Butterworth at the top mark. IIRC that gate call was TH's. Video below should start just as this happens and commentator Jimmy Spithill can't understand the tactical choice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ncik said:

Yep, buckled, delam, pop back straightish once load is released.

Althought on second thoughts, at a tightish radius like that it would probably crack some of the skin.

It would fail spectacularly not do that 

2 hours ago, darth reapius said:

if it's fucked then they did a great job molding the top of the cradle to fit

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

The big mistake was taking the left gate at the bottom of the previous run. No one could understand that decision and it lined up the penalty gladly pounced on by Butterworth at the top mark. IIRC that gate call was TH's. Video below should start just as this happens and commentator Jimmy Spithill can't understand the tactical choice.

I'd almost forgotten what racing AC dinosaurs looked like. What a time warp.

1 hour ago, Tommy22 said:

So if it was stuffed why would they put it on the wharf for everyone else to see?

Most correct and a few hundred dollars of shrink wrap would have seen off prying eyes if she had suffered any structural failure.

One thing TNZ ain’t is sloppy.

6091BE50-9FCE-4685-BB9C-005ED4AF28C3.jpeg.633701b2206daacfeb00a51c3b5eb680.jpeg

ED3C020F-BA21-4C48-BB07-2597ADB43013.jpeg.37a005e871255d7d9df862fb107ad1f0.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Or you are dumb like a sack of hammers and just skim the conversation and offer cut and paste media feed or bits of "that's nice" cause you have never even sailed a boat.

• Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Rskiff said:

if it's fucked then they did a great job molding the top of the cradle to fit

If it's fucked it's a massive moment in this game IMO. Because it means they've got something wrong. The photos aren't completely conclusive though sometimes I see failure others I see a possible reflection? Huge moment if it is a failure..

4 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

If it's fucked it's a massive moment in this game IMO. Because it means they've got something wrong. The photos aren't completely conclusive though sometimes I see failure others I see a possible reflection? Huge moment if it is a failure..

It would crease the sheer point to fail there