2 hours ago, dullers said:

Your the third Kiwi to put me on that list. Thanks.  I get on with most Kiwis just not a few of the experts  on here.

History suggests your ability to over-rate yourself is incredibly high. I wouldn't hold your breath...

• Like 2
  • Replies 20.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3. To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right

Yes, quite light but I didn't see all the afternoon's sailing, can only comment on later in the day, when Britannia 2 was running a #1 jib and foiling around no problem. They look quite quick at times

They towed out around 11am and the breeze was light and puffy to start with. Foiled down the Channel and headed out to the Bays. The breeze started to build around midday and they got some long runs i

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

History suggests your ability to over-rate yourself is incredibly high. I wouldn't hold your breath...

Who am I and what is my history?  Very strange. 

It starts. This is where all the abuse, thinking, speculation, @clapping and bullshit stops for a time and we all see reality take shape. 

Congratulations Weta, look forward to seeing some of your snaps. 

9 hours ago, NZL3481 said:

He has no idea of the number of folk who just see unfortunate quotes. 

Don't quote the troll.

3 hours ago, kenergy said:

I just want to see some fucking racing.

You'll have to wait until the challenger series next year. What week see tomorrow will simply be a comparison of which boat can conceal the most sand.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, weta27 said:

Looking forward to tomorrow!

DSC_3599.JPG

Something to consider- while I was looking at the photos in the LR thread, it occurred to me, that ETNZ didn't have windows in their main or jibs- and that's probably because they have those fancy screens in the trenches. It's also likely they can't (or don't want to) add the window to their main due to whatever their shaping system consists of, making the screens the easy alternative. Once you have made the jump in complexity (camera vs hole in the main) why not apply the same logic to the jib, remove the window and add a camera so the driver can easily see to leeward and ahead of the jib.

23 minutes ago, atwinda said:

Once you have made the jump in complexity (camera vs hole in the main) why not apply the same logic to the jib, remove the window and add a camera so the driver can easily see to leeward and ahead of the jib.

Interesting point. Though I have been involved in a few domains where cameras have been unpopular/unworkable/unsafe because cameras just aren't the same. Some of it is for good reasons, some for bad. Be interesting to know how NZ find them for decision making if they get into a close call

11 hours ago, kenergy said:

I just want to see some fucking racing.

An interesting sport. So, in order to win "fucking racing" what has to happen?

Is it that, you need a hot bird that you haven't banged before and you've saved up the baby batter for a week or so while being at the beach staring at birds in skimpy bikinis and getting worked up beyond fairness.

You then line up or, are filmed by a trusted committee of assessors against other peers of the sport and the first to blow their Bolt wins? Or is it, the opposite of this and the bloke who lasts the longest without wearing the skin off their pork sword wins?

Either way, this thoughtform has given me wood and I'm off to see the cook to give old blue-nose a feed of guts. 

• Downvote 1

rumor has it that the heads down looking at screens approach is great until you fail to spot the massive wind shift that cost you the race as it didn't show up on the  6" screen you were busy watching.

hey wtf would I know ;)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, JALhazmat said:

rumor has it that the heads down looking at screens approach is great until you fail to spot the massive wind shift that cost you the race as it didn't show up on the  6" screen you were busy watching.

hey wtf would I know ;)

More than my dog but less than my cat.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, atwinda said:

Something to consider- while I was looking at the photos in the LR thread, it occurred to me, that ETNZ didn't have windows in their main or jibs- and that's probably because they have those fancy screens in the trenches. It's also likely they can't (or don't want to) add the window to their main due to whatever their shaping system consists of, making the screens the easy alternative. Once you have made the jump in complexity (camera vs hole in the main) why not apply the same logic to the jib, remove the window and add a camera so the driver can easily see to leeward and ahead of the jib.

I don’t think we’ve seen the full picture yet (if you’ll excuse the pun). They’ve talked about waiting until the Xmas Cup before we see how they’ll sail the boat. Maybe we’ll find out more today. 

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

hey wtf would I know ;)

Shifts are not so important when you're 2-3 knots faster than your opposition. Boatspeed fixes everything, or in the case of Ineos, creates everything in their world of pain.

2 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Interesting point. Though I have been involved in a few domains where cameras have been unpopular/unworkable/unsafe because cameras just aren't the same. Some of it is for good reasons, some for bad. Be interesting to know how NZ find them for decision making if they get into a close call

lake of depth perception on a flat screen from one camera.  I can see where steering from a screen my help you line up your course with some points on the screen, but keeping your head down looking at a 10-12" screen is nothing like scanning the water in front of you looking for shifts and distances to travel.  There is not way the reduction in drag is worth the lose of perception of what is happening around you on the water.

This may be a major flaw in the NZ design, I guess they could have Pete stand on a stool so he can see what is in front of him.

3 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

Shifts are not so important when you're 2-3 knots faster than your opposition. Boatspeed fixes everything, or in the case of Ineos, creates everything in their world of pain.

Really?  You really believe that NZ is 2-3 knots faster than everyone else?

2 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Really?  You really believe that NZ is 2-3 knots faster than everyone else?

Don't question the Kiwi posters on here....

13 minutes ago, dullers said:

Don't question the Kiwi posters on here....

Don't lump me in with the trolls on here :).  There are dickheads from every country posting on here as well as some some seriously cool people.  The title of the forum does give a teensy clue as to some of the behaviours but you don't have to rise to the bait and give them more ammo.  Having said that, if you met the trolls in person; you'd most likely enjoy a laugh over a beer with them.  The internet bears no relationship to reality :D

• Like 2
1 minute ago, toad said:

Anyway, who is going to be out there on the water watching? North Head might be worth the trip down the cul-de-sac as well!

Take I bike if you can, theres not a lot of parking available,  they've marked off most of the streets. 

8 minutes ago, GeeJay said:

Don't lump me in with the trolls on here :).  There are dickheads from every country posting on here as well as some some seriously cool people.  The title of the forum does give a teensy clue as to some of the behaviours but you don't have to rise to the bait and give them more ammo.  Having said that, if you met the trolls in person; you'd most likely enjoy a laugh over a beer with them.  The internet bears no relationship to reality :D

My humble apologies.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Not sure about shipboard, but my first experience of a rear view camera in my VW was a bit unnerving.

Now. who looks behind anymore? Once embraced, there's no pulling back from technology.

3 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Not sure about shipboard, but my first experience of a rear view camera in my VW was a bit unnerving.

Now. who looks behind anymore? Once embraced, there's no pulling back from technology.

My nephew was coming to visit me recently to pick up his 21st birthday gift, he was driving a crude ‘65 Mustang equipped  with only muscle-gear; his phone died and he got horribly lost! Funny.

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

My nephew was coming to visit me recently to pick up his 21st birthday gift, his phone died and he got horribly lost! Funny.

Yeah. Technology is all well and good, while it's working...and we're keeping up.

Who knew there was an iPhone 12 Pro?

5 minutes ago, weta27 said:

I will be on North Head, or more correctly, at the foot of it.

Have a great afternoon on your favourite rock, Weta. I'll be glued to my TV screen this arvo.

Apparently, I have to trim the hedge first. Still, small price to pay to watch some live racing finally, eh?

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Yeah. Technology is all well and good, while it's working...and we're keeping up.

Who knew there was an iPhone 12 Pro?

Funny, that was his gift! 

The kid couldn’t figure out north from south without a GPS. Me, I’m not sextant-smart but am keenly aware of N & S at all times, it’s like an old-school instinct! 

I think rear-view cams on cars will be (are already?) required as standard, a good thing IMO. 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Have a great afternoon on your favourite rock, Weta. I'll be glued to my TV screen this arvo.

Apparently, I have to trim the hedge first. Still, small price to pay to watch some live racing finally, eh?

Hahaha!  My wife is away on grandparent duties until the weekend and predictably, I have been given a massive task list to keep me out of mischief.  I guess that wrapping Christmas presents can be done whilst watching TV.  I can't do a worse job than I've done already with irregular-shaped items.  Pretty sure that there will be an official inspection on her return.  The thumbprint on my forehead is fairly well covered by what's left of my hair  :D.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, NZL3481 said:

well they clearly aren't faster then as they crossed the line behind the 'slower' boat that saw that shift.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, GeeJay said:

Hahaha!  My wife is away on grandparent duties until the weekend and predictably, I have been given a massive task list to keep me out of mischief.  I guess that wrapping Christmas presents can be done whilst watching TV.  I can't do a worse job than I've done already with irregular-shaped items.  Pretty sure that there will be an official inspection on her return.  The thumbprint on my forehead is fairly well covered by what's left of my hair  :D.

Don't talk to me about lists. And I'm not talking about a lot of water aboard, unfortunately. 

"How come you can paint that bloody boat, but not our fence?" I've never really been able to answer that question satisfactorily.

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Is hedge a new type of sail?

• Like 1
Just now, dullers said:

Is hedge a new type of sail?

Haha. Sadly no, Dullers. It's that fucking green/grey thing, runner down my entire boundary, which was never really designed to be clipped into perfect symmetry.

The worst of it isn't the actual clipping, or even the raking up of said clippings - it's the formal inspection by the works supervisor afterwards. "Does that bit over there look a little bit high?" Hmmmm.

Which reminds me, I'd better get on with it. ;-)

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Haha. Sadly no, Dullers. It's that fucking green/grey thing, runner down my entire boundary, which was never really designed to be clipped into perfect symmetry.

The worst of it isn't the actual clipping, or even the raking up of said clippings - it's the formal inspection by the works supervisor afterwards. "Does that bit over there look a little bit high?" Hmmmm.

I thought trimming the hedge was some new sail as I did not want to fall behind in the techno speak involved with these new boats. Have owned 4 houses and 3 of them had hedges. I knew they would interfere with trimming sails. My present box has concrete grass which means we can abandon the place to trim sails and not hedges.

44 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Don't talk to me about lists. And I'm not talking about a lot of water aboard, unfortunately. 

"How come you can paint that bloody boat, but not our fence?" I've never really been able to answer that question satisfactorily.

Oh. Of course you know the answer is 'How come I can paint the boat but you can't paint the fence?'

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DayTripper said:

Oh. Of course you know the answer is 'How come I can paint the boat but you can't paint the fence?'

Of course he does.  However, the truth will cause him grievous bodily harm and the withdrawal of privileges for a lengthy period. ^_^

• Like 1
5 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

hey wtf would I know ;)

Could thermal imaging show wind shifts?

2 minutes ago, dullers said:

Could thermal imaging show wind shifts?

Probably not, but a camera on the top of the mast ought to give you a much better idea of where the wind is that an obscured view from the cockpit.  May not be allowed of course - not sure about that one.  

1 minute ago, Apterix said:

Probably not, but a camera on the top of the mast ought to give you a much better idea of where the wind is that an obscured view from the cockpit.  May not be allowed of course - not sure about that one.  

With the quality of cameras now that would be possible. I don't know the rules either on this. I mean with cameras else where on the boat i would be surprised if that was not mentioned somewhere.

2 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Bathrooms, cleaning and vacuuming here, you've got it easy!

Yes but you can do all those things on a boat. Very few boats have hedges. He has wrongly allocated time to unnecessary  shore activities.

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

Just tell her you are going natural this year.  Along with some wild flowers in the lawn... that will go over real well.

1 minute ago, Indio said:

And AM? "Fuck me, it's a hupersonic missile!!" :P

She's a quick boat. One more lap and it would've been over. Still, AM sailed pretty much a perfect race and the Kiwi's had a shocker and just lost.

So what have we learned. These boats are fucking impressive! All the talk of them being too unsafe, looking stupid, can't match race, it was all blown out of the water today.

AM is quick, but lets be honest, Dean has no problems winning the first races, its the last ones he has the problems with.

The other thing we've learned is all the talk of not wanting to give the Kiwi's race practice was all BS as well. That was probably one of the greatest races we've seen since the LV cup final in 2017. AM sailed probably close to a perfect race while the Kiwi's had a shocker and they only just lost.

Can AM continue to sail perfect races for months on end? Time will tell.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

She's a quick boat. One more lap and it would've been over. Still, AM sailed pretty much a perfect race and the Kiwi's had a shocker and just lost.

So what have we learned. These boats are fucking impressive! All the talk of them being too unsafe, looking stupid, can't match race, it was all blown out of the water today.

AM is quick, but lets be honest, Dean has no problems winning the first races, its the last ones he has the problems with.

The other thing we've learned is all the talk of not wanting to give the Kiwi's race practice was all BS as well. That was probably one of the greatest races we've seen since the LV cup final in 2017. AM sailed probably close to a perfect race while the Kiwi's had a shocker and they only just lost.

AM did not sail a perfect race.  Dean tacked too late into the last top mark and let NZ squeeze inside of him.  AM needs to improve their tacks, pretty bad to allow the trailing boat to gain 400 meters on you in one leg.  AM either extended or kept its leads on the other two upwind legs. 

Nice to see them so close in speed even with all of the differences in design.  The AC will be won by the team that is the best at handling their beast of a boat.

2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

"The moving finger writes, and having writ moves on"

Kiwis showed amazing pace on the last windward leg to overtake at the ww mark on the inside.  Otherwise ........

Pete gave away the start and fell off the foils big-time on at least three occasions. Also some other oopses.

Superior performance from Deano but lots of spirit and potential from the Kiwis.

I'd say we have the makings of a memorable America's Cup match.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1
13 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

AM needs to improve their tacks, pretty bad to allow the trailing boat to gain 400 meters on you in one leg.  

Bloody tricky piece of water that course C is Amway2go reached for classical covering tacks and it was a joy to see TNZ looked a wee bit ponderous at times in comparison.

12 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

I'd say we have the makings of a memorable America's Cup match.

As long as the breeze is a few clicks above the agreed minimum anything under 10 knots renders racing between these new fangled flying machines just a splashdown lottery.

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Hmm.....not really how I saw it.

One more lap and it would have been over? TR no juice, would have had to retire and been DNF.

AM perfect race? Not by a long shot. Very ragged trying close cover over TR. Overstood the top marks every time.

TR could have more of a battle on their hands than they were hoping for in a few months.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

It is just so nice to see people out enjoying themselves in public.  Covid free!!!!!!!

Record number of deaths in the USA today. So very sad not in just  deaths but also destruction of peoples livelihood and hope. It’s easy to forget this in New Zealand we’re life is normal. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Indio said:

We've just enjoyed the preview of Race1 on 6th March.

Clutch problems for etnz first half of race...clear on their coms.mmm

AM sailed a great race, but would have most likely been ground down I reckon

2 hours ago, Indio said:

We've just enjoyed the preview of Race1 on 6th March.

Nah it’ll be LR. I think AM would’ve given away valuable data today. They may have let the cat out of the bag in terms of their speed around the course and weakness in a tacking duel. LR looked like they didn’t even wanna be there, so just went through the motions against the Kiwi’s. Look for them to take it to AM tomorrow. I think we’ll see a fast and polished performance from LR to beat AM tomorrow. 

5 minutes ago, barfy said:

I was listening to the on board and they kept going on about a clutch. NO I believe mentioned the jib didn't look right? 

I have no idea what clutch ha ha

I heard that too, I was hoping you were in the know :)

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

Nah it’ll be LR. I think AM would’ve given away valuable data today. They may have let the cat out of the bag in terms of their speed around the course and weakness in a tacking duel. LR looked like they didn’t even wanna be there, so just went through the motions against the Kiwi’s. Look for them to take it to AM tomorrow. I think we’ll see a fast and polished performance from LR to beat AM tomorrow. 

Luna Rossa looked to be sailing well against the Kiwis but wow they got smacked. I'm more an AM fan than I am Luna Rossa. Letting the cat out of the bag and being able to do something about it are 2 different things. I'm sure Luna Rossa will get better but by how much remains to be seen. AM had more time on the water with their mule and their race boats by a fair way. If anything that's why they've beaten the Kiwis twice albeit I think the Kiwis are a fair bit faster as we don't see VMG's very often during the races. AM and Kiwis have their boat speeds up there but Prada have some work to do. The Kiwis sailing with way more depth in their main and there's something in their twin skin setup the others don't have IMO. So all the boats will get better and so will AM. I like Terry Hutch looking over the boats and the races looking in also. Still lots to learn as we saw Ineos least time on the water and that showed. 

26 minutes ago, barfy said:

Clutch problems for etnz first half of race...clear on their coms.mmm

AM sailed a great race, but would have most likely been ground down I reckon

Ashby was also heard advising against powering the traveller too much or they wouldn't be able to bring it back up..

11 minutes ago, barfy said:

I was listening to the on board and they kept going on about a clutch. NO I believe mentioned the jib didn't look right? 

I have no idea what clutch ha ha

Yes Pete said no clutch and it may have been related to the traveller? It could have been the jib? He also said low on juice at some stage. Upwind the Kiwis are scary when they're good they hit 40 Knots upwind and I'm sure their VMG is better. The Kiwis had the bigger jib today especially in comparison to AM.