7 hours ago, Kiwing said:

Please @weta27 the pictures of those new foils they are public now surely?

Sorry, deserting my post again ...

Just back from down-country, will try for a pic tomorrow, if they go out.

• Like 4
  • Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3. To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right

Yes, quite light but I didn't see all the afternoon's sailing, can only comment on later in the day, when Britannia 2 was running a #1 jib and foiling around no problem. They look quite quick at times

They towed out around 11am and the breeze was light and puffy to start with. Foiled down the Channel and headed out to the Bays. The breeze started to build around midday and they got some long runs i

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Tell us more about those vibes???

You know us fanboys, "she does no longer need a mast and the new foils are so fast their beat everyone else on their own and sails will only be drag.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Bazzer-racing said:

Bollocks is the answer to the first line.

None is the answer to the second line.

Third line should read 'making excuses for being an outlying back water' !!

What the fuck are you on about?

59 minutes ago, kenergy said:

What the fuck are you on about?

Well I will spell it out, you will need the vaccine if you are ever going to get out of 'Splendid Isolation'  so you had better get on with it sooner rather than later.

Line two referred to International responsibilities,  I really don't see what responsibilities that NZ take on but maybe you could enlighten me on maybe things like taking asylum seekers on mass from war torn areas or standing up to International despots?

Three was a line that I made up, it really means that if the NZ islands were to sink into the ocean with no trace that it would not be missed. You might like to think that if my island was to sink into the seas around it that it would make no difference but I can assure you that just on economic measures the waves would be felt Internationally and particular in countries in the EU.

I did not want to have to so brutally spell it out but you asked me what I was on about.

On 1/20/2021 at 8:27 PM, Flags said:

#Aussiesgotyaback :) said the now aussie, balclutha born boy....

And as Muldoon said, raised the IQ of both countries:ph34r:

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Bazzer-racing said:

Well I will spell it out, you will need the vaccine if you are ever going to get out of 'Splendid Isolation'  so you had better get on with it sooner rather than later.

Line two referred to International responsibilities,  I really don't see what responsibilities that NZ take on but maybe you could enlighten me on maybe things like taking asylum seekers on mass from war torn areas or standing up to International despots?

Three was a line that I made up, it really means that if the NZ islands were to sink into the ocean with no trace that it would not be missed. You might like to think that if my island was to sink into the seas around it that it would make no difference but I can assure you that just on economic measures the waves would be felt Internationally and particular in countries in the EU.

I did not want to have to so brutally spell it out but you asked me what I was on about.

Well, seeing we have pre ordered 15 million vaccine doses I'm sure us and our Pacific neighbors will be looked after once we are happy it's safe. Remember we are not in a rush to give it an emergency declaration because we do not currently have a covid emergency. 

Per head of population we take just as many refugees as your country does and have a long history of standing up to despots. 

And if we put the economic impact of sinking our respective islands aside,  I can guarantee that the general feeling around the world if your particular block of land sunk into the ocean would be one of relief that there was one less ignorant sanctimonious cunt on the planet.

• Like 7
12 minutes ago, kenergy said:

if your particular block of land sunk into the ocean would be one of relief that there was one less ignorant sanctimonious cunt on the planet.

Why must you keep bashing the UK? We have far more than one ignorant sanctimonious cunt. I think its an area we are quite strong in actually

<proud>

Though I'm not claiming we are ahead of NZ of course ;) 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Why must you keep bashing the UK? We have far more than one ignorant sanctimonious cunt. I think its an area we are quite strong in actually

<proud>

Though I'm not claiming we are ahead of NZ of course ;) 

No shortage here, that's for sure. 

17 minutes ago, kenergy said:

Well, seeing we have pre ordered 15 million vaccine doses I'm sure us and our Pacific neighbors will be looked after once we are happy it's safe. Remember we are not in a rush to give it an emergency declaration because we do not currently have a covid emergency. 

Samoa is way ahead of us:  https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/434561/samoa-expects-covid-19-vaccines-to-arrive-next-month

Unlike our idiot government they have some people who have a clue.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
1 minute ago, southseasbill said:

Samoa is way ahead of us:  https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/434561/samoa-expects-covid-19-vaccines-to-arrive-next-month

Unlike our idiot government they have some people who have a clue.

Samoa have a very unfortunate memory of previous pandemics, I dont blame them for wanting to rush. 

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, kenergy said:

Per head of population we take just as many refugees as your country does and have a long history of standing up to despots. 

And if we put the economic impact of sinking our respective islands aside,  I can guarantee that the general feeling around the world if your particular block of land sunk into the ocean would be one of relief that there was one less ignorant sanctimonious cunt on the planet.

5 million plus 25 million is not covered by 15 million jabs, you need at least 60 million so you are not covered in any way.

You are talking about general feeling and I am talking about actual economic reality, you are entitled to your feelings about our Island, I respect that (but don't agree with the sentiment), what I am talking about is harsh 'nuts and bolts' reality of taking the 5th biggest economy out of circulation.

3 minutes ago, Bazzer-racing said:

5 million plus 25 million is not covered by 15 million jabs, you need at least 60 million so you are not covered in any way.

You are talking about general feeling and I am talking about actual economic reality, you are entitled to your feelings about our Island, I respect that (but don't agree with the sentiment), what I am talking about is harsh 'nuts and bolts' reality of taking the 5th biggest economy out of circulation.

What 25 million are you talking about?

And in case you forgot, for some reason it was you who brought up the concept of sinking islands, fuck knows why. 

25 million Australians, I was told that you done a lot of medical procurement together and that would make sense. If you have 15 million jabs for 5 million people you are well covered.

The sinking island was just to try and make you see how irrelevant NZ is on a Global level, that is not to say that I want it to sink not at all, I don't wish NZ harm, I would just hope that some Kiwi's would be realistic.

So in 2016 there were approx 350 people who sought asylum in NZ, same time in the UK 35,000 so you can see that the ratio is nowhere near what we deal with, so to get the same ratio per head we need a population of 500million.

9 minutes ago, kenergy said:

What 25 million are you talking about?

And in case you forgot, for some reason it was you who brought up the concept of sinking islands, fuck knows why. 

To be fair to the others we should really stop this tittle tattle, I must get back to making some more F1 and AC75 parts.

16 minutes ago, NZL4EVER said:

This is the rumour that won't go away that no on here has mentioned before from the newspaper that all the Kiwis tell us is trash and shouldn't be listened to?

NZ helping team UK? Can't see it to be honest

The first bit..  heaven forbid a team can actually fix its own issues, the set up for the article is that it’s all ETNZ being the benevolent host and fixing the poor floundering brits. Fuck off 

This is the rumour that won't go away that no on here has mentioned before from the newspaper that all the Kiwis tell us is trash and shouldn't be listened to?

Been mentioned before.  Kiwis repaying the help BAR gave to ENTZ in Bermuda. 
apparenty helped tune there FCS and will be COR if ETNZ win. 

Helping with the the FCS which is a one design part is not really 'helping' the UK team, just fixing the stuff that ought to have been sorted a long time ago

Poms couldn’t sort them all of a sudden she’s good.   Coincidence maybe 

and yes poms should have had sorted a boat ago 

Just now, Zeusproject said:

Poms couldn’t sort them all of a sudden she’s good.   Coincidence maybe 

and yes poms should have had sorted a boat ago 

Oh come on, the FCS was just reliabiity. It doesn't make you go faster, it either works or it doesn't. Other teams had problems also. If it was a significant factor in speed it wouldn't be one design.

The reason Uk is faster is down to changes to foils, mainsail, mast, rudder. All of which directly relate to speed

• Like 2

Oh come on, the FCS was just reliabiity. It doesn't make you go faster, it either works or it doesn't. Other teams had problems also. If it was a significant factor in speed it wouldn't be one design.

The reason Uk is faster is down to changes to foils, mainsail, mast, rudder. All of which directly relate to speed

Left that late to get right too 

glad they have too 

1 minute ago, enigmatically2 said:

No! All of that was fixed by pistol Pete when he wasn’t off saving whales selling out to russel and collecting unicorn tears to feed the starving. 

dont you know anything about the generous multi talented Kiwis? 

Just now, Zeusproject said:

Left that late to get right too 

glad they have too 

Did anyone get many point to carry forward from the Xmas cup? No?

no one on the teams cares where they finish unless it’s first over the line in the last race of the AC

its the fans that read into every micro result 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Did anyone get many point to carry forward from the Xmas cup? No?

no one on the teams cares where they finish unless it’s first over the line in the last race of the AC

its the fans that read into every micro result 

At least it’s back to cup talk now not COVID vaccines 

2 minutes ago, Zeusproject said:

At least it’s back to cup talk now not COVID vaccines 

I heard that Pete helped develop the UK vaccine too now you mention it :)

But as you say, sailing. 

Any pics of the new NZ foils yet?

8 hours ago, Bazzer-racing said:

Since you asked. New Zealand has a long history of standing up for things they believe in, on the world stage, and making a difference.  We’re not very big, and we’re a long way away, but we do make a difference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_nuclear-free_zone

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/politics/nuclear-free-new-zealand/testing-in-the-pacific

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christchurch_Call_to_Action_Summit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_South_Africa_rugby_union_tour_of_New_Zealand_and_the_United_States

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/files/documents/28mb/fact-sheets-all.rtf Just read the first paragraph.

This has some big words but see if you can follow along. I’ve picked an abridged version.

157B8737-8E64-4FB8-A4F0-029CFE62016B.jpeg

32EEF759-DC0F-402B-AA13-4412F6B4004E.jpeg

7F3DCD43-4FD2-4E41-B90C-DFEAB60AB437.jpeg

238F3C94-B13F-4507-A143-6C2159B15A23.jpeg

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, WakaNZ said:

Click bait trash 

From the Herald? But they're such a reputable source of information... 

8 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Agree, Riddle. Some tosser at the, Herald getting on to SAAC, cherry picking a couple of the choicest conspiracy theories, then whipping up some tasty click bait.

Nothing to see here at all.

32 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

No sign of those foils this morning?  Cameras ready?

I am on the edge of my chair, sick of the politics, dying for a picture to show up!

Same! I want to talk about it, They had a great test day yesterday with it, should see them both on today or when they hit course C tomorrow just before the 4pm dial up.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, HawkeyeNZ said:

From the Herald? But they're such a reputable source of information... 

My cat swears by the Herald. Won't defecate on anything else.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, WakaNZ said:

Same! I want to talk about it, They had a great test day yesterday with it, should see them both on today or when they hit course C tomorrow just before the 4pm dial up.  

What letter of the alphabet do they resemble? I think you know.

12 hours ago, Bazzer-racing said:

Three was a line that I made up, it really means that if the NZ islands were to sink into the ocean with no trace that it would not be missed.

What about Netball?

Didn't get a very good look, as they turned away from me and took off out to the back paddock, but both foils look like blended bulb-type?

Port foil perhaps more narrow and with straighter leading edges than the previous, but look to be fairly subtle changes.

Starboard bulb appears to be broader and less "sharp", more like the previous one.

So maybe we're only seeing one new foil?

DSC_5323.JPG

DSC_5340.JPG

s-foil1.jpg

• Like 17
2 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Didn't get a very good look, as they turned away from me and took off out to the back paddock, but both foils look like blended bulb-type?

Perhaps more narrow and with straighter leading edges than the previous, but look to be fairly subtle changes??

So can't be sure if I'm seeing one new foil or two ..??

DSC_5323.JPG

DSC_5340.JPG

Awesome, 

Two different foils in these shots, Port is the new one. Starboard is a flat upside down T, Port is designed very differently to account for the new "movement" they have discovered. What can't be seen is the new tricks inside the foil helping with flight control. Great stuff @weta27 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Since you asked. New Zealand has a long history of standing up for things they believe in, on the world stage, and making a difference.  We’re not very big, and we’re a long way away, but we do make a difference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_nuclear-free_zone

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/politics/nuclear-free-new-zealand/testing-in-the-pacific

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christchurch_Call_to_Action_Summit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_South_Africa_rugby_union_tour_of_New_Zealand_and_the_United_States

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/files/documents/28mb/fact-sheets-all.rtf Just read the first paragraph.

This has some big words but see if you can follow along. I’ve picked an abridged version.

157B8737-8E64-4FB8-A4F0-029CFE62016B.jpeg

32EEF759-DC0F-402B-AA13-4412F6B4004E.jpeg

7F3DCD43-4FD2-4E41-B90C-DFEAB60AB437.jpeg

238F3C94-B13F-4507-A143-6C2159B15A23.jpeg

All good examples, thanks for that, of course we must not forget the great Kiwi air commander Keith Parks. The contribution in both WW from NZ is considerable but that is a long time ago now, we made it up with the Jerries some time ago by the way.

However I just don't see Jacinda offering to ease the burden of getting on for 100 asylum seekers per day in UK alone, or over 200 per day in Germany.

As I said 'Splendid Isolation' and detached from reality !!

13 hours ago, Rushman said:

Paywall

America's Cup 2021: The Secret Sailor - Secret's out? The Team New Zealand rumour that won't go away

OPINION:

Ineos Team UK are unbeaten in the Prada Cup so far but they've probably had outside help to get them to this stage – possibly even from the defenders Team New Zealand.

Sir Ben Ainslie's Britannia has definitely jumped in speed and part of that could be down to help on their foils from the Mercedes Formula One team, who had worked with Ineos Team UK as part of their preparation for this year's Cup.

And if I had to guess, I would guess that they've probably also had a little bit of help from Team NZ. The rumour going around is that Team NZ and Ineos Team UK are negotiating a protocol for the Brits to become the next Challenger of Record.

A difficult part of being a Defender is actually organising a Challenger of Record that is comfortable with the rules that you might be interested in keeping, and Ineos Team UK may fit that bill. I would guess that they've been getting a bit of help on their boat from the Team NZ.

But the other side of it is that they're sailing a lot better than the other teams. The communication between Ainslie and Giles Scott has been very good. I think Scott has done well to pick the shifts and pressure, and has made sure that they sail in a confident way.

Ineos Team UK also have fewer grinders and more eyes on the water, which as long as they don't run out of power, will help as well in tricky conditions. It seems to be working fine for them so far.

But the Prada Cup is far from over and the remaining round robin races will still be incredibly close. I still think Luna Rossa are going to look a bit better than Ineos Team UK, who still have work to do. But I think Ineos are just sailing better, which is covering up any discrepancy they've got in speed.

I think the races are going to be very close and I think the starts are going to be pretty tough because you've got two very good starting helmsmen.

In the end, the fastest boat will get through. Ineos Team UK may be able to mask it in the beginning, but as it gets more summery, it'll be harder for them if they have a speed difference with the other teams. It'll be hard to hide that and I think it'll become obvious in a final. But they've still got to get there yet.

Meanwhile, it's a big ask for the Americans to come back after their catastrophic failure on Sunday. The boat actually broke when it landed back down. The whole boat was awash inside and was awash on the deck, so the whole inside of the boat was full of salt water.

Just getting the boat ready, the lamination and getting it fixed structurally is one thing, and then getting the thing to work again as they had it with the boards going up and down and all the electronics, it's a huge ask for those guys.

I would say you could give them a slim chance to come back from there. But if they do, they've got a fast enough boat. If they can repair the boat and keep it strong and light enough, it could be a Cinderella story.

15 minutes ago, Bazzer-racing said:

of course we must not forget the great Kiwi air commander Keith Parks

I meet, Sir Keith a few times back in about '73. He was an impressive individual, even then, in his 80's. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Flags said:

America's Cup 2021: The Secret Sailor - Secret's out? The Team New Zealand rumour that won't go away

OPINION:

Ineos Team UK are unbeaten in the Prada Cup so far but they've probably had outside help to get them to this stage – possibly even from the defenders Team New Zealand.

Sir Ben Ainslie's Britannia has definitely jumped in speed and part of that could be down to help on their foils from the Mercedes Formula One team, who had worked with Ineos Team UK as part of their preparation for this year's Cup.

And if I had to guess, I would guess that they've probably also had a little bit of help from Team NZ. The rumour going around is that Team NZ and Ineos Team UK are negotiating a protocol for the Brits to become the next Challenger of Record.

A difficult part of being a Defender is actually organising a Challenger of Record that is comfortable with the rules that you might be interested in keeping, and Ineos Team UK may fit that bill. I would guess that they've been getting a bit of help on their boat from the Team NZ.

But the other side of it is that they're sailing a lot better than the other teams. The communication between Ainslie and Giles Scott has been very good. I think Scott has done well to pick the shifts and pressure, and has made sure that they sail in a confident way.

Ineos Team UK also have fewer grinders and more eyes on the water, which as long as they don't run out of power, will help as well in tricky conditions. It seems to be working fine for them so far.

But the Prada Cup is far from over and the remaining round robin races will still be incredibly close. I still think Luna Rossa are going to look a bit better than Ineos Team UK, who still have work to do. But I think Ineos are just sailing better, which is covering up any discrepancy they've got in speed.

I think the races are going to be very close and I think the starts are going to be pretty tough because you've got two very good starting helmsmen.

In the end, the fastest boat will get through. Ineos Team UK may be able to mask it in the beginning, but as it gets more summery, it'll be harder for them if they have a speed difference with the other teams. It'll be hard to hide that and I think it'll become obvious in a final. But they've still got to get there yet.

Meanwhile, it's a big ask for the Americans to come back after their catastrophic failure on Sunday. The boat actually broke when it landed back down. The whole boat was awash inside and was awash on the deck, so the whole inside of the boat was full of salt water.

Just getting the boat ready, the lamination and getting it fixed structurally is one thing, and then getting the thing to work again as they had it with the boards going up and down and all the electronics, it's a huge ask for those guys.

I would say you could give them a slim chance to come back from there. But if they do, they've got a fast enough boat. If they can repair the boat and keep it strong and light enough, it could be a Cinderella story.

Magnus kiwi cousin? 

42 minutes ago, Bazzer-racing said:

All good examples, thanks for that, of course we must not forget the great Kiwi air commander Keith Parks. The contribution in both WW from NZ is considerable but that is a long time ago now, we made it up with the Jerries some time ago by the way.

However I just don't see Jacinda offering to ease the burden of getting on for 100 asylum seekers per day in UK alone, or over 200 per day in Germany.

As I said 'Splendid Isolation' and detached from reality !!

Detached from their reality, not ours.  

14 hours ago, kenergy said:

Samoa have a very unfortunate memory of previous pandemics, I dont blame them for wanting to rush. 

Also if they and Fiji can get vaccinated they will be safe places for vaccinated tourists to go spend money instead of the GBR. 

1 hour ago, weta27 said:

Port foil perhaps more narrow and with straighter leading edges than the previous, but look to be fairly subtle changes.

Perhaps they've done a 25% job on the bulb foil, making her more like the blended one? Meaning they still have two more completely new foils to go.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, weta27 said:

Starboard bulb appears to be broader and less "sharp", more like the previous one.

So maybe we're only seeing one new foil?

My inner-nerd thanks you. :)

3 minutes ago, Zeusproject said:

Who has any foil allocation left.    Kiwis and ?

Kiwis 1 now I guess, Amway apparently two as per a recent interview with TH and LR? Would be interesting to see pics of LR tho as they have been tow testing as well...

1 hour ago, weta27 said:

WakaNZ says above that this a brand new foil, with a new internal control mechanism.

That might explain the need for tow testing.

Brand new, more upside down Y shape 

2 minutes ago, Tommy22 said:

Kiwis 1 now I guess, Amway apparently two as per a recent interview with TH and LR? Would be interesting to see pics of LR tho as they have been tow testing as well...

Lr have also sailed with the new foils (or modified) looked a handful on the verge of a big crash at the end of the vid clip posted by the two Italian guys.

On 1/20/2021 at 11:44 PM, Bazzer-racing said:

Harry used to run quite informal training sessions down at Calshot in the 1970's I would say I was going down there around 1975 to 76, the boards were defo against the flow !! The bikes used to shudder quite a bit on the bends.

Those were times gone by, we just used to pitch up, no questions asked no money paid, Harry told us how to get going and then encouraged us to compete, great stuff.

Really appreciate your input on track size.

I was there just after for winter training. Used to rig in the hanger with the wind banging the Hanger doors around and freezing,  dont think I was ever warm there. Always remember a certain R Pattison come down to the leeward mark and perform a spinnaker drop the likes I've never seen since. His crew used to go through a set of gloves per session so it was a good incentive to do the same, especially as gloves were on the house so to speak.

2 hours ago, weta27 said:

Clew "box" gone?

DSC_5330.JPG

That's a very "uncomfortable" looking mainsail!  I don't recall seeing it so creased before, and it's curious how it also creases at each batten.

Would this be due to a fairly full cut sail being flattened aggressively? Or a "soft" luff?

Sir Ben comments on CoR rumour: NZ Herald, 22 Jan 2021

"....Ainslie played a straight bat when asked about the future possibilities.

"We have a good relationship with the Kiwis and I have a good relationship with Dalts," Ainslie told the Herald.

"I have seen a few of the rumours about challenger of record and so on but at this stage we are just trying to get through to being in this Cup itself and actually racing them in the first place, so who knows what might happen in the future."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-2021-ineos-team-uk-skipper-sir-ben-ainslie-on-team-nz-alliance-reports/Y4HFLPN4AGDTF7JO3L7YXU2ZWA/

3 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

That's a very "uncomfortable" looking mainsail!  I don't recall seeing it so creased before, and it's curious how it also creases at each batten.

Would this be due to a fairly full cut sail being flattened aggressively? Or a "soft" luff?

She be almost in irons, no?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MaxHugen said:

I keep telling you Max it is about Main control.  Most of us sailors worry about getting MORE power these boats is about having methods of getting LESS power.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, weta27 said:

Quote: "The Secret Sailor is an internationally acclaimed yachtie with a strong history in the America's Cup."

Pete Lester. He’s not writing anywhere else I’ve seen. 

On 1/20/2021 at 10:00 PM, mako23 said:

In many ways a better mixture of ships that is more flexible and better suited to protecting our fishing resources 

The Navy doesn't have enough sailors to put more than half of them to sea at once and so are considering selling some of the smaller ones.

When they bought them, the brief was to buy as many grey ships as they could for the money and don't give a fuck about fitness for purpose.

Our supply ship is actually just a RORO ferry which means it has a commercial deck elevator rather than a military one which would provide greater protection from fire and smoke traversing decks.

It also lacks the ballasting capabilities that navy supply while require to ensure stability on the return trip when empty.

Our military is a sick joke.