Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3. To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right

Yes, quite light but I didn't see all the afternoon's sailing, can only comment on later in the day, when Britannia 2 was running a #1 jib and foiling around no problem. They look quite quick at times

They towed out around 11am and the breeze was light and puffy to start with. Foiled down the Channel and headed out to the Bays. The breeze started to build around midday and they got some long runs i

Posted Images

3 hours ago, jaysper said:

Nah, we won't thank you.

Auckland is a shit hole so we don't mind it getting fucked up just a little bit more.

Isn't Wellinghole the city of broken water mains and sewers? Literally shit running in the streets?

When the 17% rates rise hits, we have refugee spots free in Auckland...

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Xlot said:

With Bertarelli reportedly lurking on the sidelines, a repeat performance wouldn’t be a remote possibility ...

 

True...Tennis NZ just lost Karl Budge to the new Christchurch Sail GP event. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jaysper said:

Nah, we won't thank you.

Auckland is a shit hole so we don't mind it getting fucked up just a little bit more.

 

10 minutes ago, Nutta said:

Isn't Wellinghole the city of broken water mains and sewers? Literally shit running in the streets?

When the 17% rates rise hits, we have refugee spots free in Auckland...

This is not the best presentation for New Zealand :) :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, mad said:

"Shame we can't get the Germans to come back and finish the job properly"  was a comment often heard about that area.

Portsmouth is on the up for those who have been there recently.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dogwatch said:

The idea of the ultra-wealthy and glamourous of the planet steering their super-yachts in the direction of Gosport or Portsmouth does have a certain humour to it.

I like Portsmouth and it is on the up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, strider470 said:

 

This is not the best presentation for New Zealand :) :)

More a comment on the ineptitude of our elected officials to do the basics.

Still, better than being stuck in some Eurotrash country...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nutta said:

More a comment on the ineptitude of our elected officials to do the basics.

Still, better than being stuck in some Eurotrash country...

Luckily I live in Italy

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jaysper said:

Auckland is a shit hole so we don't mind it getting fucked up just a little bit more.

Met a very nice Kiwi family in Positano in the pre-Covid era. They laughed when I mentioned JAFA (thanks, SA)

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rh3000 said:

You are starting to sound like stingers with this hyperbole.

I don't think you understand the role the americas cup and ETNZ play in Auckland's identity, and how it is leveraged across the board.

So do you think that ETNZ has all the bargaining chips and can milk as much money out of the taxpayers as they want?  

I am just saying that the City of Auckland has the responsibility to not be fleeced by some sporting team that has become enamored with themselves.  ETNZ can lose all of their identity by turning their back on NZ.  If ETNZ feels they need more money to conduct the type of event they want, then go raise it from more private parties.

I think I can understand all of the deep feeling that the kiwis have for ETNZ, but that is only because that team was doing it for New Zealand.  Once they move the AC away from NZ and leave they are no longer doing it for New Zealand.  

It is at a different level, but we have had local professional sports teams move to another part of the country for more money, new stadium, etc...  Devoted, life long fans turn on the spot and burn jerseys, etc....  A fanbase loyalty is only as deep as the team loyalty.   Not too many fans stay loyal after a team tells them to F'off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

So do you think that ETNZ has all the bargaining chips and can milk as much money out of the taxpayers as they want?  

I am just saying that the City of Auckland has the responsibility to not be fleeced by some sporting team that has become enamored with themselves.  ETNZ can lose all of their identity by turning their back on NZ.  If ETNZ feels they need more money to conduct the type of event they want, then go raise it from more private parties.

I think I can understand all of the deep feeling that the kiwis have for ETNZ, but that is only because that team was doing it for New Zealand.  Once they move the AC away from NZ and leave they are no longer doing it for New Zealand.  

It is at a different level, but we have had local professional sports teams move to another part of the country for more money, new stadium, etc...  Devoted, life long fans turn on the spot and burn jerseys, etc....  A fanbase loyalty is only as deep as the team loyalty.   Not too many fans stay loyal after a team tells them to F'off.

You don’t seem to understand. Team NZ have never “fleeced” ACC. They never will. In every negotiation, both sides need to gain some kind of leverage to have something to offer their opposition at the bargaining table. It’s like a game of polka, if your opponent bets say $1000 (say) you can’t just turn around and say, “I’ve got nothing to bet but I still wanna play and I still want to take your money if I win” you’ll get laughed out of the room. You need to have a bargaining chip. Having other venues (be it NZ or otherwise) willing to host the event gives ETNZ that leverage. The council knows the flow on effects of hosting the AC. Their problem is, Covid has hit them hard in the pocket so they’re looking for somewhere to recoup costs. The AC is an easy target because the public perception is easily swayed when there is no racing. No one is being fleeced. No one is fleecing. Both sides have leverage, and are willing to use it to gain a stronger position in negotiations.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dullers said:

I like Portsmouth and it is on the up.

well it sure couldn't get any lower:D  Ah yes, it's the balmy waters of Hayling bay and the Solent!

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_Alchemist said:

So do you think that ETNZ has all the bargaining chips and can milk as much money out of the taxpayers as they want?  

No I don't think that. I think it's a negotiation. So I think we are in agreement on that. My point was plenty local government people, organisations, and companies have leveraged the existing of AC hosting events in NZ for their own gains too. There's a lot of social capital in it.

1 hour ago, The_Alchemist said:

I am just saying that the City of Auckland has the responsibility to not be fleeced by some sporting team that has become enamored with themselves.

I agree with this too. So given this it would be prudent for Auckland City and ATEED to request that ETNZ actually shop it around to other host venues to ensure they are not being expected to give too much when compared to what other venues would offer. This is my fundamental point I hope you see, that shaking the trees actually works in the interests of all parties. It's emerged as something necessary to ensure a robust and healthy process, likely as a consequence of a number of recent events - of which we all already know. 

1 hour ago, The_Alchemist said:

I think I can understand all of the deep feeling that the kiwis have for ETNZ, but that is only because that team was doing it for New Zealand.  Once they move the AC away from NZ and leave they are no longer doing it for New Zealand.  

You seem to still be convinced the next AC will not be in Auckland. I think you are predicting both the intent and the outcome of open transparent, public, due process.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jaysper said:

Nah, we won't thank you.

Auckland is a shit hole so we don't mind it getting fucked up just a little bit more.

Auckland.

The people who bag it are people who have not stayed long enough, ventured far enough or have even been there. Auckland is a melting pot of many cultures with around 30% of the population being immigrants. It is very diverse as busy or quiet as you like. From the Otara Markets to the Ponsonby strip, you'll find happy helpful people in Auckland.

All suburbs have their own identity and the community spirit is as strong as any small town throughout Aotearoa. 

The Hauraki Gulf is truly a gift from the Gods for the Auckland population. As a location to sail, motorboat or simply swim, Auckland is hard to beat on a global scale of cruising grounds. 

I'm not from Auckland but have called it home. I've traveled far and wide around the world and within New Zealand. 

Those that bag Auckland often complain about the traffic, the crime or the expense of living there. It's an international City and a popular place to work and live. 

If any other place in New Zealand was better, they'd have 1.5 million people calling it home. 

Auckland. New Zealand's jewel. 

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

Auckland.

The people who bag it are people who have not stayed long enough, ventured far enough or have even been there. Auckland is a melting pot of many cultures with around 30% of the population being immigrants. It is very diverse as busy or quiet as you like. From the Otara Markets to the Ponsonby strip, you'll find happy helpful people in Auckland.

All suburbs have their own identity and the community spirit is as strong as any small town throughout Aotearoa. 

The Hauraki Gulf is truly a gift from the Gods for the Auckland population. As a location to sail, motorboat or simply swim, Auckland is hard to beat on a global scale of cruising grounds. 

I'm not from Auckland but have called it home. I've traveled far and wide around the world and within New Zealand. 

Those that bag Auckland often complain about the traffic, the crime or the expense of living there. It's an international City and a popular place to work and live. 

If any other place in New Zealand was better, they'd have 1.5 million people calling it home. 

Auckland. New Zealand's jewel. 

 

:lol:

You work in Auckland's PR department? Pile of self deluding tosh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Priscilla said:

Ernesto?

Yeah, could be. 
 

It almost sounded from the article like GD wants a host deal that will also pay for his team budget; a touch like with his leaked comment about ‘a dollar less spent from MBIE monies towards improving the event is a dollar more for ETNZ.’ It’s why I wish they (any teams) had bigger $B backers than the likes of Matteo. Maybe that American guy who moved to NZ could be enticed? GD has his work cut out, clearly... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect my view is in the minority, but I’ll like a cost cap introduced. If F1 can do this I can’t see why not the AC. Some things might need to be kept out of the cost cap, such as travel costs and building facilities. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Yeah, could be. 
 

It almost sounded from the article like GD wants a host deal that will also pay for his team budget; a touch like with his leaked comment about ‘a dollar less spent from MBIE monies towards improving the event is a dollar more for ETNZ.’ It’s why I wish they (any teams) had bigger $B backers than the likes of Matteo. Maybe that American guy who moved to NZ could be enticed? GD has his work cut out, clearly... 

There's talk that Prada have already lined Ernie up for COR if they win!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, **ONTOIT** said:

There's talk that Prada have already lined Ernie up for COR if they win!

Yes, which is what suggests the possibility that fresh interest by EB means EB is the guy GD is afraid “would strip this team in two minutes.” That or a Larry, or some min-Larry? Curious indeed, unless it’s just more of a lever to try use against Auckland in coming negotiations. The ‘Italy’ one used last time was too vague, he apparently had no signatures and numbers to show. 

Ratcliffe could even have bidded win-or-lose on behalf of some Brit venue, wth knows? 
 

I bet Valencia could rebuild bases in short order, that purpose-built Darsena and location is perfect in a lot of ways. Cagliari has less harbor space but could accommodate 6-8 teams too. 
 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday I posted on the Luna Rossa thread this article by the italian journal "La Stampa", reporting rumors that if LR will win the Cup, Alinghi could be the next COR. "La Stampa" is a reliable journal, but I was a little doubtful. After GD statements, anyway, it seems a lot more likely. LE will be focused on Sail GP I think. EB instead seems a lot busy with his foiling cats. Here the article, worth a G-tran

https://www.lastampa.it/mare/2021/02/10/news/america-s-cup-trattative-new-zealand-ineos-e-luna-rossa-alinghi-1.39884256

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JJD said:

I lived in Wellington for 9 years. Shit place to live

Ive lived in northern Auckland  for 7 years. Absolutely love it.

Even the seagulls fly upside-down over Wellington!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

This article by oasport.it sum up another article by "La Gazzetta dello Sport", a famous italian sport journal. They interviewed PB, and he confirmed they have an agreement with Alinghi. Should LR win the Cup, Alinghi will be COR. I think this is official now. Cagliari would be the venue of the Cup 

https://www.oasport.it/2021/02/luna-rossa-ha-un-accordo-con-alinghi-per-la-prossima-americas-cup-finali-a-cagliari-tutti-gli-scenari-in-caso-di-vittoria/

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Zaal said:

Yesterday I posted on the Luna Rossa thread this article by the italian journal "La Stampa", reporting rumors that if LR will win the Cup, Alinghi could be the next COR. "La Stampa" is a reliable journal, but I was a little doubtful. After GD statements, anyway, it seems a lot more likely. LE will be focused on Sail GP I think. EB instead seems a lot busy with his foiling cats. Here the article, worth a G-tran

https://www.lastampa.it/mare/2021/02/10/news/america-s-cup-trattative-new-zealand-ineos-e-luna-rossa-alinghi-1.39884256

 

Thank, yes it’s an interesting piece and must surely have some kind of source, La Stampa wouldn’t just make that up. 
 

As for LE, the guy can do anything. Why not run both SGP and AC75’s, one separate or as a combined ACWS series? A major problem in this cycle IMO is that even prior to COVID there were  very few race days ever envisaged for given how new the Class is. No big B to back it.
 

If you think back to an early example of LE-funded ACWS’s, Plymouth had about 12 AC45’s on the line and then Napoli was big too with the introduction of both Piranha and Swordfish by LR. 
 

That is real money... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Salty Seacock said:

Auckland.

The people who bag it are people who have not stayed long enough, ventured far enough or have even been there. Auckland is a melting pot of many cultures with around 30% of the population being immigrants. It is very diverse as busy or quiet as you like. From the Otara Markets to the Ponsonby strip, you'll find happy helpful people in Auckland.

All suburbs have their own identity and the community spirit is as strong as any small town throughout Aotearoa. 

The Hauraki Gulf is truly a gift from the Gods for the Auckland population. As a location to sail, motorboat or simply swim, Auckland is hard to beat on a global scale of cruising grounds. 

I'm not from Auckland but have called it home. I've traveled far and wide around the world and within New Zealand. 

Those that bag Auckland often complain about the traffic, the crime or the expense of living there. It's an international City and a popular place to work and live. 

If any other place in New Zealand was better, they'd have 1.5 million people calling it home. 

Auckland. New Zealand's jewel.

And non-Aucklanders bitch about our traffic problems yet I would suggest that most of the auto accidents in Auckland motorways are caused by non-Aucklanders not used to driving bumper-to-bumper at 80km/h in peak traffic. We're used to it :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Indio said:

And non-Aucklanders bitch about our traffic problems yet I would suggest that most of the auto accidents in Auckland motorways are caused by non-Aucklanders not used to driving bumper-to-bumper at 80km/h in peak traffic. We're used to it :D

Speculation without proof!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Indio said:

And non-Aucklanders bitch about our traffic problems yet I would suggest that most of the auto accidents in Auckland motorways are caused by non-Aucklanders not used to driving bumper-to-bumper at 80km/h in peak traffic. We're used to it :D

Bullshit. I'm often passed by cunts walking faster than the traffic is moving. Auckland is getting more fucked by the day. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Yes, which is what suggests the possibility that fresh interest by EB means EB is the guy GD is afraid “would strip this team in two minutes.” That or a Larry, or some min-Larry?

 

It could be EB, Larry and Jim Ratcliffe together.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I don't know whether GD is shopping the venue or his new boss :D

Yes, it’s funny about how a requirement in the venue-bids deal is about how the current ACE has to be included, the ACE that GD is CEO of.. :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, kenergy said:

Bullshit. I'm often passed by cunts walking faster than the traffic is moving. Auckland is getting more fucked by the day. 

Because of Auckland Transport and their "traffic calming" measures. Bastards.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Bertarelli will be hoping LR win and scrape the nationality requirements, so he can buy a team.. 

Yes, that’s the rumor. 
 

Wish we knew more about whatever else like-minded thinking is between PB and EB but it’s surely pretty broad at this stage. 
 

As to nationality of the sailors? For the millionth time, it’s a PR thing that teams can use to their advantage if they choose to but absolutely nothing in the DoG suggests it being in the intent, which was instead nationality-design-based. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Yes, it’s funny about how a requirement in the venue-bids deal is about how the current ACE has to be included, the ACE that GD is CEO of.. :D 

Well, he prepares his new job as he knew he was going to lose. Could he be as hated as Coutts if he switches side ? :huh:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

You don’t seem to understand. Team NZ have never “fleeced” ACC. They never will. In every negotiation, both sides need to gain some kind of leverage to have something to offer their opposition at the bargaining table. It’s like a game of polka, if your opponent bets say $1000 (say) you can’t just turn around and say, “I’ve got nothing to bet but I still wanna play and I still want to take your money if I win” you’ll get laughed out of the room. You need to have a bargaining chip. Having other venues (be it NZ or otherwise) willing to host the event gives ETNZ that leverage. The council knows the flow on effects of hosting the AC. Their problem is, Covid has hit them hard in the pocket so they’re looking for somewhere to recoup costs. The AC is an easy target because the public perception is easily swayed when there is no racing. No one is being fleeced. No one is fleecing. Both sides have leverage, and are willing to use it to gain a stronger position in negotiations.

WTF are you talking about?   I never said they fleeced them yet.  

Your argument is that ETNZ will never move the cup, they are just using it as a negotiation ploy.  But you fail to understand that Auckland also knows this and so it has no real leverage.  In your poker analogy, Auckland can see ENTZ’s cards just as clearly as you think you can see them.  

And with the current economic conditions, Auckland may not not be in a position to sweeten the deal as much as they did for this AC event.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Bertarelli will be hoping LR win and scrape the nationality requirements, so he can buy a team. A good reason for us to win it, and keep fuckers like him out.

Who cares about where the sailors come from, give them the fastest boat and they win, it's a design contest and top TNZ designers are not from NZ.

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rh3000 said:. 

You seem to still be convinced the next AC will not be in Auckland. I think you are predicting both the intent and the outcome of open transparent, public, due process.

No I am not convinced.  I was just pointing out that ETNZ does not exist without New Zealand.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Yes, that’s the rumor. 
 

Wish we knew more about whatever else like-minded thinking is between PB and EB but it’s surely pretty broad at this stage. 
 

As to nationality of the sailors? For the millionth time, it’s a PR thing that teams can use to their advantage if they choose to but absolutely nothing in the DoG suggests it being in the intent, which was instead nationality-design-based. 

'A friendly competition between nations'.

Nationality -design-based?? WTF does that even mean and please quote the DoG where that is the intent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JJD said:

'A friendly competition between nations'.

Nationality -design-based?? WTF does that even mean and please quote the DoG where that is the intent.

Read the DoG, both the language and then at least 100 years of subsequent history attest to it. Yawn.... 

Sailor-nationality is, yes, subject to MC but is often used by teams or ACE’s only for crassly commercial reasons. By the DoG sailor nationality on teams should be a choice not a requirement. Designers on the other hand? That’s debatable but obviously times have changed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Who cares about where the sailors come from,

I do. If ETNZ had no NZ sailors I'd be way less enthused. I don't have particularly fond memories of EB's involvement in the Cup - he can go fuck himself sideways as far as I'm concerned. If he wants to be in the Cup, then go bring some Swiss sailors.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mako23 said:

I suspect my view is in the minority, but I’ll like a cost cap introduced. If F1 can do this I can’t see why not the AC. Some things might need to be kept out of the cost cap, such as travel costs and building facilities. 

What about a personnel cap? It may lead to more overall employment if the trade-off is more teams. It would also create some interesting trade-offs between how much you resource sailing vs CFD vs hydraulics vs structure etc, and thereby may also force the boats to be less complex. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, buckdouger said:

What about a personnel cap?

Difficult to do though, as numbers within a team vary during the campaign - builders come and go, other specialists do a bit then disappear etc.....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Local business and govt not impressed with ETNZ "shopping" the venue:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-team-new-zealand-holding-the-next-regatta-overseas-a-slap-in-the-face/OMUFZWZOFWUDJTRT6UWDF7D7OY/

Taking the America's Cup offshore would be a "slap in the face", according to one of Auckland's business leaders.
 
Auckland Business Chamber chief executive Michael Barnett and mayor Phil Goff both agree the public's expectation is that racing would remain in New Zealand if Emirates Team New Zealand successfully defends the America's Cup.
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Difficult to do though, as numbers within a team vary during the campaign - builders come and go, other specialists do a bit then disappear etc.....

Agreed, also for the reason you can outsource a lot which would make ‘policing’ costs even more difficult.

The FCS did have very significant problems this time but the original intent was well-meaning and a good cost cutting measure might be to introduce more standardization and let teams narrow the focus to better bang-for-the buck sailing and performance improvements. I would most especially enjoy watching foils evolve. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

The FCS did have very significant problems this time but the original intent was well-meaning

Yeah, if the class continues, I'd expect an improved and updated FCS. Interestingly, Ben doesn't seem to be having any more FCS problems - and has been throwing his boat around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Horn Rock said:

Yeah, if the class continues, I'd expect an improved and updated FCS. Interestingly, Ben doesn't seem to be having any more FCS problems - and has been throwing his boat around.

Operator error?

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Nutta said:

Because of Auckland Transport and their "traffic calming" measures. Bastards.

 

More like lack of first world public transport infrastructure.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Horn Rock said:

Yeah, if the class continues, I'd expect an improved and updated FCS. Interestingly, Ben doesn't seem to be having any more FCS problems - and has been throwing his boat around.

The FCS is apparently maturing, yes, although it was obvious that a freshly installed one by AM caused massive problems. Even the RMS systems are evidentially still a bit rough. 
 

Those and other potential ‘OD’ systems will hopefully get a lot more test and race time in any AC75V2. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

I do. If ETNZ had no NZ sailors I'd be way less enthused. I don't have particularly fond memories of EB's involvement in the Cup - he can go fuck himself sideways as far as I'm concerned. If he wants to be in the Cup, then go bring some Swiss sailors.

It's true that sailors nationality main purpose is to  mobilize national spectators and fans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

although it was obvious that a freshly installed one by AM caused massive problems.

That was the old one from Defiant, which had sat idle for awhile.......although apparently serviced......but yeah, it gave them issues which ultimately nixed them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horn Rock said:

Bertarelli will be hoping LR win and scrape the nationality requirements, so he can buy a team. A good reason for us to win it, and keep fuckers like him out.

Although this would be painful, it could be a good financial situation for NZ. Our boat builders and sailors will all be in hot demand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

It's true that sailors nationality main purpose is to  mobilize national spectators and fans.

And to provide support to politicians who divert money into ETNZ versus repairing bridges or whatever else needs doing.. 

A key ‘captive’ audience for ETNZ is obviously the NZ Public, and a key pull-string is the sailor nationality part, the ‘patriotic pride’ and the message that it’s about an underdog versus superpower nation superiority war,  versus instead the cold hard reality that’s it’s about none of that :D 

But if it brings public joy, well then like investments in Arts, then maybe it’s All Good 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

And to provide support to politicians who divert money into ETNZ versus repairing bridges or whatever else needs doing.. 

A key ‘captive’ audience for ETNZ is obviously the NZ Public, and a key pull-string is the sailor nationality part, the ‘patriotic pride’ and the message that it’s about an underdog versus superpower nation superiority war,  versus instead the cold hard reality that’s it’s about none of that :D 

But if it brings public joy, well then like investments in Arts, then maybe it’s All Good 

Yes, the poor little country against the giant, David against Goliath is part of the kiwi folklore, don't know what happens next AC.

What is strange, if I read correctly, is that now GD tells that each dollar NZ gov does not have to pay is a saved dollar. Pretty much the contrary of what he was saying before, and I don't know who he is thinking of to bring the money.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of you interested in making some easy money ( And I'm not usually a betting man, accept on sailing) Sportsbet are paying $1.83 for Team NZ to win the Americas Cup. I think they are great odds. I'm on it. I'd just as happily lose my money to see someone else win this farking thing for a change, Poms or Italians. In fact seeing the Italians win is something I believe can never happen so just imagine.! :D

https://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/sailing/americas-cup

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_Alchemist said:

WTF are you talking about?   I never said they fleeced them yet.  

Your argument is that ETNZ will never move the cup, they are just using it as a negotiation ploy.  But you fail to understand that Auckland also knows this and so it has no real leverage.  In your poker analogy, Auckland can see ENTZ’s cards just as clearly as you think you can see them.  

And with the current economic conditions, Auckland may not not be in a position to sweeten the deal as much as they did for this AC event.  

They both see each other cards, so neither have leverage, or they both have leverage. Depends if you look at ACC know ETNZ won’t defend the cup anywhere else but NZ. ETNZ know ACC won’t take the risk of losing the cup and all the benefits it brings to Auckland. So they compromise, meet in the middle and come up with a mutually beneficial agreement just like they did this time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gissie said:
3 hours ago, Salty Seacock said:

Auckland.

The people who bag it are people who have not stayed long enough, ventured far enough or have even been there. Auckland is a melting pot of many cultures with around 30% of the population being immigrants. It is very diverse as busy or quiet as you like. From the Otara Markets to the Ponsonby strip, you'll find happy helpful people in Auckland.

All suburbs have their own identity and the community spirit is as strong as any small town throughout Aotearoa. 

The Hauraki Gulf is truly a gift from the Gods for the Auckland population. As a location to sail, motorboat or simply swim, Auckland is hard to beat on a global scale of cruising grounds. 

I'm not from Auckland but have called it home. I've traveled far and wide around the world and within New Zealand. 

Those that bag Auckland often complain about the traffic, the crime or the expense of living there. It's an international City and a popular place to work and live. 

If any other place in New Zealand was better, they'd have 1.5 million people calling it home. 

Auckland. New Zealand's jewel. 

:lol:

You work in Auckland's PR department? Pile of self deluding tosh.

I don't always agree with Salty S but he nailed this one.

I've lived and worked in Sydney, Perth, London, New York and Boston and take Auckland thanks.  And that's before you take into account respective climates.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

Here in the Bay of Islands

Having spent one of the most wonderful summers of my life in the Bay of Islands, I agree it's also a very special place....I consider it in the same hood as the Gulf. To be fair, Mayor Island, the Mercuries, Alderman Islands, and the coast over that side, are damn good cruising grounds as well. So blessed in NZ. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Xlot said:

Met a very nice Kiwi family in Positano in the pre-Covid era. They laughed when I mentioned JAFA (thanks, SA)

 

get it right.............. there are 2 "f",s in jaFFa

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Yeah, if the class continues, I'd expect an improved and updated FCS. Interestingly, Ben doesn't seem to be having any more FCS problems - and has been throwing his boat around.

Did BA donate Ineos's FCS issues to AM during the rebuild?

Link to post
Share on other sites