18 minutes ago, weta27 said:

ETNZ and INEOS were out practising on Course E this afternoon, with the course marshalls, race buoys and TV cat and 2 choppers, in what I presume was a dress rehearsal for tomorrow.

The course was pulled down at 4.30 and both boats came back and de-rigged in the channel before towing back in.

LRPP had been out briefly as well, but came back in around 3.

Whew!  Thanks Weta, and excellent pics!.  Did you get a sense there really is a speed differential between TR and the others that the gutter press keep banging on about?

• Replies 18.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3. To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right

Yes, quite light but I didn't see all the afternoon's sailing, can only comment on later in the day, when Britannia 2 was running a #1 jib and foiling around no problem. They look quite quick at times

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Rhumline said:

Whew!  Thanks Weta, and excellent pics!.  Did you get a sense there really is a speed differential between TR and the others that the gutter press keep banging on about?

Doesn't really matter whether there is or not - it's getting the opposition to think about it which does :)

7 minutes ago, kiwispirits said:

So it turns out ETNZ is not a New Zealand sports team, but an international group of professional sailors that just happen to be based in New Zealand at the moment.

Golly.

Who would have thought that Grant Dalton could begin to imitate Larry Ellison?

The poison chalice at work. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Rhumline said:

Well my Mark 1 Eyeball is probably long overdue for overhaul & re-calibration but to me TR looks bloody quick. At times she seems to find another gear.

She and Rita were doing individual race laps, so I wasn't seeing them together or even in the same piece of water, but, for what it's worth,  that was my gut feeling.

EDIT: P.S.  That looks like an "old" foil on the port side?? Not one of the latest BFB droopys?

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Well my Mark 1 Eyeball is probably long overdue for overhaul & re-calibration but to me TR looks bloody quick. At times she seems to find another gear.

She and Rita were doing individual race laps, so I wasn't seeing them together or even in the same piece of water, but, for what it's worth,  that was my gut feeling.

Everyone knows red is fastest...;)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lat35sowth said:

Well plenty of taxpayer bucks are invested in that  boat and team so i guess we are part owners.

There are no tax payer dollars invested in this boat. ETNZ got zero tax payer dollars for this cup. The event and surrounding infastructure got the dollars. 

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, kiwispirits said:

So it turns out ETNZ is not a New Zealand sports team, but an international group of professional sailors that just happen to be based in New Zealand at the moment.

Golly.

Well, I guess you can just add an apostrophe: Emirates' Team New Zealand :ph34r:

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, kiwispirits said:

Golly.

At some point, holding the cup costs money.

24 minutes ago, weta27 said:

EDIT: P.S.  That looks like an "old" foil on the port side?? Not one of the latest BFB droopys?

Agree, TR is looking great, but difficult to compare.  LR also apeared to have an extra gear in a recent video.

Using SAAC-sanctioned yellow line technology, there does appear to be a "droop" on the port foil.

IIRC, there were imgs of TR with the anhedral foils on both sides, whereas I've only ever seen the original BFB foil on starboard. So I'd guess that the "droopies" may be the final set?

image.png.9477ff47b2b33eeefdaea9a7b36f5d66.png

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Agree, TR is looking great, but difficult to compare.  LR also apeared to have an extra gear in a recent video.

Using SAAC-sanctioned yellow line technology, there does appear to be a "droop" on the port foil.

IIRC, there were imgs of TR with the anhedral foils on both sides, whereas I've only ever seen the original BFB foil on starboard. So I'd guess that the "droopies" may be the final set?

I'm willing to bet they decided it was better to have Y foils that became T when loaded rather than T foils which became V when loaded.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

I'm willing to bet they decided it was better to have Y foils that became T when loaded rather than T foils which became V when loaded.

I agree, I think they will flatten out when loaded.

7 hours ago, Salty Seacock said:

Auckland.

The people who bag it are people who have not stayed long enough, ventured far enough or have even been there. Auckland is a melting pot of many cultures with around 30% of the population being immigrants. It is very diverse as busy or quiet as you like. From the Otara Markets to the Ponsonby strip, you'll find happy helpful people in Auckland.

All suburbs have their own identity and the community spirit is as strong as any small town throughout Aotearoa. 

The Hauraki Gulf is truly a gift from the Gods for the Auckland population. As a location to sail, motorboat or simply swim, Auckland is hard to beat on a global scale of cruising grounds. 

I'm not from Auckland but have called it home. I've traveled far and wide around the world and within New Zealand. 

Those that bag Auckland often complain about the traffic, the crime or the expense of living there. It's an international City and a popular place to work and live. 

If any other place in New Zealand was better, they'd have 1.5 million people calling it home. 

Auckland. New Zealand's jewel. 

Lived there in the mid 90s, so I suspect it's more of a case that I found it a shit hole.

I'm not suggesting you don't love it and quite frankly couldn't give less of a fuck if you do.

But from my perspective it has all the disadvantages of a city like Sydney without any of the advantages.

Traffic is insane, too big to reasonably get around and the people are for the most part just to busy to be bothered being friendly.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

You have clearly mastered the ancient way of the anarchistic yellow line grasshopper.

• Like 2

I guess once they have settled on their "A" foil pair, to make any further advances, they would take one off to tweak and use a "B" foil on that side in the meantime.

Then put A2 back on to compare with A1?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, strider470 said:

They called her Luna Rossa for a reason then ;)

Said it before... I like your style Strider.  Most of the kiwi posters take themselves waaay too seriously.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, weta27 said:

ETNZ and INEOS were out practising on Course E this afternoon, with the course marshalls, race buoys and TV cat and 2 choppers, in what I presume was a dress rehearsal for tomorrow.

The course was pulled down at 4.30 and both boats came back and de-rigged in the channel before towing back in.

LRPP had been out briefly as well, but came back in around 3.

DSC_5960.JPG

DSC_5965.JPG

DSC_5971.JPG

DSC_5975.JPG

Bikini gib?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rhumline said:

Said it before... I like your style Strider.  Most of the kiwi posters take themselves waaay too seriously.

Thanks @Rhumline ! But you should listen to Italians while talking about soccer! And maybe if Sir Ben will kick our ass today I will be the first cursing and swearing to port and starboard :) :)

• Like 3
5 hours ago, JJD said:

There are no tax payer dollars invested in this boat. ETNZ got zero tax payer dollars for this cup. The event and surrounding infastructure got the dollars. 

If its in the infrastructure , its in the boat.

• Downvote 1
10 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I don't know whether GD is shopping the venue or his new boss :D

10 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Yes, it’s funny about how a requirement in the venue-bids deal is about how the current ACE has to be included, the ACE that GD is CEO of.. :D 

You two are the Statler and Waldorf of this AC.

• Like 7

It wouldn't be the AC without drama on and off the water.   

I haven't decided if the ETNZ corp fishing trip for gold is an act of desperation knowing they don't have the coin to remain intact or competitive for the next round or just another head game to mess with the challengers. 

I'm leaning towards desperation.  This foiling monster they created is most likely costing a S-ton more to feed than originally estimated.  The billionaire bystanders that stood this one out can smell blood in the water and an opportunity to join the game at a significantly decreased entry cost since a bunch of R&D has already been done.  Brilliant move on their part.

Seems like there could be some big payroll raises for mid to high level team members if they jump ship.  No one should blame them --- its probably best to cash in while the billionaires are still tossing it about.   This will probably effect all teams not just ETNZ.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Xlot said:

https://www.sail-world.com/news/235163/Kiwi-Govt-kicks-for-touch-over-Americas-Cup-Bid

Good piece. But what does “kick for touch” mean? Presumably from that odd game with an egg-shaped ball

Yes, from rugby, to kick the ball over the sideline and out of play. The expression means to cease dealing with something or have no further discussion. So in this case the NZ government doesn't want (at the moment) to discuss whether or not ETNZ might hold the next AC outside NZ.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, yoyo said:

I haven't decided if the ETNZ corp fishing trip for gold is an act of desperation knowing they don't have the coin to remain intact or competitive for the next round or just another head game to mess with the challengers. 

Will hardly mess with the challengers. Since it will all be irrelevant if they win. Whereas it could mess with the heads of some of the defender team

20 minutes ago, marlowe said:

Yes, from rugby, to kick the ball over the sideline and out of play. The expression means to cease dealing with something or have no further discussion. So in this case the NZ government doesn't want (at the moment) to discuss whether or not ETNZ might hold the next AC outside NZ.

Thanks. In soccer, it’s kicking the ball into the grandstands

3 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Will hardly mess with the challengers. Since it will all be irrelevant if they win. Whereas it could mess with the heads of some of the defender team

Sure, but you know they are all talking and thinking about it.  That in itself is a distraction.  Just like for all us hacks here on SA :)

With the end in sight it's resume sharpening time.  Some of these players will want to lock down a position ASAP to keep the bills paid going forward.  Not many sailing programs can support 100's of team members.  Some of the key players may already be firming up their contact list.....

No matter what happens it will be interesting to watch as this unfolds.  Heck it might be more interesting than the actual racing.

We are going to have to convert you Italians to rugby and cricket.

And any americans left

Rugby is really a nice sport. And I love the spirit of the supporters too! I saw an Italy vs England match in Rome a few years ago. Unfortunately in Italy if it's not  Soccer, Formula 1 and MotoGP you are invisible for the media. :(

• Like 1
1 minute ago, strider470 said:

Rugby is really a nice sport. And I love the spirit of the supporter too! I saw an Italy vs England match in Rome a few years ago. Unfortunately in Italy if it's not  Soccer, Formula 1 and MotoGP you are invisible for the media. :(

The atmosphere at a 6N game between the top contenders is the best. Just unique. Better than RWC or any other sport

2003 England grand slam in Dublin being my personal favourite

• Like 1

The atmosphere at a 6N game between the top contenders is the best. Just unique. Better than RWC or any other sport

2003 England grand slam in Dublin being my personal favourite

PS I know almost nothing about cricket, I admit.

7 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

She looks real squirrelly there.  You hope they didn't push the foil size so small that they have similar handling problems to AM.  At least they have plenty of time to improve...

Sure does look a bit uncomfortable.  Very small headsail, new-ish anhedral foils... might be pushing some limits to establish where 11 tenths is?

If they have come over to under North Head then it seems likely that they are deliberately trying to see how stable she is in gusts. Unfortunately I'm not sure she was as bad as others. If the gusts and lulls had headers and lifts then it looks reasonable to me. Hard to tell what the wind was doing exactly though. There was a touchdown it is true, but it was fairly brief

• Like 2
11 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

It also allows for a shorter foil arm section. Fits the box at measurement, but flexes out of it under load.

flex.JPG.917cba4ad57d369b618dd1dbf62dfefd.JPG

• Like 2

Growing rumors that it's not just Ernesto back in, but also Torbjorn and Artemis being very interested.  The 75s have piqued the interest of the big money players so I think we'll be seeing v2 of the boats irrespective of who wins.

If ETNZ defends - and it's still a big if given how strong Ineos and LR are looking - my guess is that we see a NH challenger series in the European summer followed by a finals series / AC in Auckland in the SH summer.  Just a guess though.

1 hour ago, erdb said:

It also allows for a shorter foil arm section. Fits the box at measurement, but flexes out of it under load.

flex.JPG.917cba4ad57d369b618dd1dbf62dfefd.JPG

The sag also enables them to put the bulb as low as possible whilst still having the wing meet the side of the bulb at 90 deg. 

4 hours ago, strider470 said:

PS I know almost nothing about cricket, I admit.

You have 5 days to learn it.

8 minutes ago, strider470 said:

What's going on in 5 days?

Watch a test match. It will take 5 days. You will know the basics by then.

3 minutes ago, dullers said:

Of how fast grass grows?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, NSP said:

Growing rumors that it's not just Ernesto back in, but also Torbjorn and Artemis being very interested.  The 75s have piqued the interest of the big money players so I think we'll be seeing v2 of the boats irrespective of who wins.

Would be nice if TT throws his hat back in the ring. 

It’s not clear yet if AC75’s will survive in an LR Defense and Alinghi Challenge scenario. Maybe, but the PB quotes from Italy did not go that far, Bertelli said only ‘Alinghi’ and ‘Cagliari,’ he said nothing about dates or boats. 

A recent NZ article claimed that EB made an offer on ETNZ’s B1, but that the offer got refused?? Seems odd, given how the venue-bid document specifically talks about making used AC72s available to prospective new teams. 

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

A recent NZ article claimed that EB made an offer on ETNZ’s B1, but that the offer got refused?? Seems odd, given how the venue-bid document specifically talks about making used AC72s available to prospective new teams. 

Maybe Ernesto wanted Burling and Tuke in the package

37 minutes ago, dullers said:

Nah. He'll be asleep before drinks. ;-)

16 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Not at all.  It may ultimately end up in EB's paws but there's no advantage to making a sale at this point when ETNZ could have even more leverage later on.  If they lose, it still has value.

10 minutes ago, GeeJay said:

Not at all.  It may ultimately end up in EB's paws but there's no advantage to making a sale at this point when ETNZ could have even more leverage later on.  If they lose, it still has value.

Enormous value win or lose.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

There is no love lost between GD and EB. 

On 2/11/2021 at 7:41 PM, dullers said:

Portsmouth is on the up for those who have been there recently.

Well it could only go up from where it was.;)

On 2/11/2021 at 8:18 PM, enigmatically2 said:

And I live in the UK, not Europe

Its still part of Europe technically, regardless of Brexit.

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, strider470 said:

With the best teachers I've no doubt

Apparently Horatio Nelson's sailors introduced cricket in Naples in 1793. AC Milan was originally called the Milan Football and Cricket Club when formed by the English in 1899. You had your chance but you ignored cricket in favour of football!

5 minutes ago, marlowe said:

Apparently Horatio Nelson's sailors introduced cricket in Naples in 1793. AC Milan was originally called the Milan Football and Cricket Club when formed by the English in 1899. You had your chance but you ignored cricket in favour of football!

Really? I didn't know that. Speaking of typical English sports I'm very fond of squash. I used to play in a club in Milan. Polisquash

20 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Difficult to do though, as numbers within a team vary during the campaign - builders come and go, other specialists do a bit then disappear etc.....

The boat must be designed, built and sailed by the same people, no extras.  Lets spice things up a little bit.:P

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, mad said:

Indeed a minority of the population of the British Isles voted for the greater political union of the United Kingdom to leave the European Union and some how got their way, the geological definitions remain unchanged.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

So give me a suggestion.

Well a bowler can chuck a ball in a way no mortal can and a batsmen can hit a ball no mortal can. You need to start with an intense dislike of the Australian cricket team. Everything falls into place after that. Learn all the positions. I will start you with 2 that are mildly amusing. Silly mid on and silly mid-off.  The teams. Just a few to start with.

England normally made up of South Africans.

Australia. Made up of tough hard drinking men and Smith who cries a lot.

New Zealand. Very likable and nice to everyone.

South Africa. Like Australia with less crying in general.

India. 11 geniuses with the bat and ball but fortunately they don't know that yet. 

There are some other teams also but this will do to start with.

There is no offside rule. You would think that would make it an easy game to learn but it does not.

2 hours ago, dullers said:
2 hours ago, strider470 said:

What's going on in 5 days?

Or die of boredom.:lol:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

Nah. He'll be asleep before drinks. ;-)

Good because that is how everyone else watches it.

37 minutes ago, mad said:

Only because of the Chunnel. 

Maybe Ernesto wanted Burling and Tuke in the package

The howls of outrage from the blackhearts.:lol:

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Indeed a minority of the population of the British Isles voted for the greater political union of the United Kingdom to leave the European Union and some how got their way, the geological definitions remain unchanged.

And an even smaller minority voted to remain in Europe.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

GD said around 8 degree's in movement when fully loaded, for exactly that reason you suggest. 

From a tea towel :D

Cricket: As explained to a foreigner...
You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, sosoomii said:

From a tea towel :D

Cricket: As explained to a foreigner...
You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

Once I was a spectator of a cricket game in Ripley, Surrey. I remember that I talked to one of the players for a long time during the match. He did not seem to be bothered that he was actually playing, but apparently not paying attention. I was slightly uncomfortable, because I thought that I keep him from his match duties, that I might influence his performance, but apparently it made no difference. After the match he invited me to the club house for a cup of tea. It was a perfect afternoon.

Years later, while living in England, I asked one of my friends to explain the game to me. He just laughed and said: "You are either raised with it, or you will never understand it." I tend to agree...

• Like 3
8 hours ago, marlowe said:

What it means is, Government has no clue whatsoever of the commercial realities which will embroil ETNZ, after a successful Defence of AC36. As usual, their response will be hopelessly and painstakingly reactive.

• Like 2
Just now, Sailbydate said:

What it means is, Government has no clue whatsoever of the commercial realities which will embroil ETNZ, after a successful Defence of AC36. As usual, their response will be hopelessly and painstakingly reactive.

Like most governments so.....

Never thought I'd see the day an Americas Cup Thread with exciting AC75 information would be turned into a farking Cricket thread.! 

Meanwhile I have 7.6 Knots at Rangitoto Island

• Like 4