As for the wind today. 

Low tide is around 15:30. The afternoon sea breeze will kick in from about 15:00 onward and be circa 10 to 15 knots NE. 

The first race will be delayed by an hour and it'll be a slug fest with boats falling off the foils and shift conditions. Be sure to hang at the downwind end as they'll likely change the course angle as the breeze fills in.

Or, I'm wrong as usual. It's harder to pick than a broken nose. 

@ Tiri Island and there's a hint of a breeze starting. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3. To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right

Yes, quite light but I didn't see all the afternoon's sailing, can only comment on later in the day, when Britannia 2 was running a #1 jib and foiling around no problem. They look quite quick at times

They towed out around 11am and the breeze was light and puffy to start with. Foiled down the Channel and headed out to the Bays. The breeze started to build around midday and they got some long runs i

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

Low tide is around 15:30. The afternoon sea breeze will kick in from about 15:00 onward and be circa 10 to 15 knots NE. 

The first race will be delayed by an hour and it'll be a slug fest with boats falling off the foils and shift conditions.

Boats falling off the foils??? Yikes, hopefully the 10-15 NE is the better bet? 

The recent consensus  has been that Ineos is better tactically because of the (yes, excellent) BA/Giles combo. But if it does get shifty and Sibello proves to be a big wildcard in some facets of it, well things could get interesting. That guy is very sharp too, I think he’s even a Gold Medalist? 

48 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

I'm at Cooks Beach on the East Coast of the Coromandel peninsular and theres a good stiff onshore that hopefully blows through all the way over the ranges and into the gulf.

I'm on the other side of the peninsula at Coromandel harbour with a 10-12 knot easterly.  It's been like that for a good couple of hours now.

34 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

The recent consensus  has been that Ineos is better tactically because of the (yes, excellent) BA/Giles combo. But if it does get shifty and Sibello proves to be a big wildcard in some facets of it, well things could get interesting. That guy is very sharp too, I think he’s even a Gold Medalist? 

This weather seems to suit the handbags. We will soon find out how much their new foils have improved the boat. 

22 hours ago, trt131 said:

22 hours ago, trt131 said:
22 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

that our national team is doing its best to head overseas

When are you going to realise that ETNZ is not your National Team.  It is a private team, its not like the All Blacks or Black caps that is run by the national authority and team selections are from the national authority.  Its definitely a private organisation who invite who they want to join the organisation.  There are plenty of non Kiwis in the team apart from Gashby.  FFS can you imagine the outcry if a non Kiwi was picked to lead the ABs 

Tell us something we don't know ffs.  I used the term loosely.  Others here understood. Just note some of the responses. They weren't anal about it like you.

My point was that Dalts is NOT selling out, as so many commentators have wrongly concluded. He has committed to nothing.

With the likliehood of a successful defence,  rather than wait for governmental organisations, sponsors and individual donors to equivocate on the degree of their support he is establishing the team's worth on the international market.

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

He, (Dalts) is establishing the team's worth on the international market.

Fucking exactly. Dalts isn't a supid old fool when it comes to revenue generation. 

When it comes to knitting, he's fucking useless.

16 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

With the likliehood of a successful defence,  rather than wait for governmental organisations, sponsors and individual donors to equivocate on the degree of their support he is establishing the team's worth on the international market.

RG on sail-world.com has posted an excellent overview. It is worth a read. 

https://www.sail-world.com/news/235163/Kiwi-Govt-kicks-for-touch-over-Americas-Cup-Bid

• Like 1
6 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

Of how fast grass grows?

Grass types, care, preparation and growth are an advanced Cricket topic. Come back once you're comfortable with the basics.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, 167149 said:

that is the spelling used by provincial pinheads.... spelled PPH  pronounced "fifff" https://www.morefm.co.nz/home/trending/2018/09/jaffas-are-saved-as-licorice-maker-rjs-signs-deal-with-cadbury.html

Nope. You're wrong. The conversation was about the term JAFA regarding Aucklanders not, the delicious round lolly that we used to roll down the stairs in cinemas.

37 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

Nope. You're wrong. The conversation was about the term JAFA regarding Aucklanders not, the delicious round lolly that we used to roll down the stairs in cinemas.

jaffa has always had 2 f's as in fucking fantastic

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, 167149 said:

jaffa has always had 2 f's as in fucking fantastic

Shut up dickhead. 

3 hours ago, Nutta said:

Grass types, care, preparation and growth are an advanced Cricket topic. Come back once you're comfortable with the basics.

There is an obvious SA-cricket connection,  seagulls are often a topic of discussion during a test. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, kenergy said:

There is an obvious SA-cricket connection,  seagulls are often a topic of discussion during a test. 

Cricket is a crazy game.

It's played on grass. 

9 hours ago, dullers said:

People in the United Kingdom, use the term 'Europe' to refer to all of the continent except the British Isles. Lifted from that link.

They’ll be back in the union or will have negotiated an arrangement so close they might as well be in a few years time anyway. :lol:

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, mad said:

They’ll be back in the union or will have negotiated an arrangement so close they might as well be in a few years time anyway. :lol:

They were never really in anyway, so they will not be missed after the others get accustomed to less whinging now. 

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

They were never really in anyway, so they will not be missed after the others get accustomed to less whinging now. 

There’s that as well, a swift ‘non’ is the most deserving response for any further talks. :P

Anybody got a spare EU passport for sale? 

2 hours ago, mad said:

Your location is that little Island just out of Europe. I know democracy is not popular with some.

Just now, dullers said:

Your location is that little Island just out of Europe. I know democracy is not popular with some.

:lol::lol:

And its working out so well for them.

Just now, dullers said:
2 minutes ago, mad said:

:lol::lol:

And its working out so well for them.

We are fine and life just goes on.

:lol:

Are you in the UK?

Just now, mad said:

:lol:

Are you in the UK?

Lockdown is the biggest issue. It makes Brexit a minor walk in the park.  Are you? I know you dont like the UK.

9 hours ago, Salty Seacock said:

Fucking exactly. Dalts isn't a supid old fool when it comes to revenue generation. 

When it comes to knitting, he's fucking useless.

This may surprise you, but I've heard that he was not too bad on sewing machine.

Knitting maybe when he retires from ETNZ, in 30 years time or so...

1 hour ago, dullers said:

Lockdown is the biggest issue. It makes Brexit a minor walk in the park.  Are you? I know you dont like the UK.

You haven't got a fucking clue.:lol:

• Like 2
11 hours ago, kenergy said:

Lovely. If it makes you feel any better I'm spending my day cutting up firewood. 

My only concern about the sailing is the breeze dying. If its patchy I'll take INEOS,  if its light but stable maybe LR will find their mojo. 

I’ll gladly take a wheelbarrow load from you. You were right, LR found their mojo and looked slick. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mad said:

I will add that reply to my book of profound answers.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, dullers said:
7 hours ago, mad said:

I will add that reply to my book of profound answers.

Still waiting for you to answer my original questions.

What was your login last AC and are you in the UK? 

• Like 2

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3.

To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right now, to have had a wonderful, normal summer, an Americas Cup regatta, and a government that had the gumption to get on top of the problem early.

Meanwhile, here is a bit of rainy day, AC75 action-less filler ...

DSC_5953.JPG

DSC_5959.JPG

DSC_5963.JPG

DSC_5970.JPG

• Like 37
1 minute ago, Kiwing said:

That's a double like one for your accurate assessment of the govt.

And one for your great pictures of our champion.

It's a like-burger from me, stacking on yours and wetas

• Like 2
On 2/5/2021 at 10:34 AM, Wild said:

Glad you guys like the foil swing, it took a bit of effort to get it all together :). Chris Hickey from ETNZ did the installation engineering for me. I had him run the numbers based on 2 x 100kg adults swinging in unison. That kind of loading generates quite a moment on the foundation, and we can't take the risk of the foil ever toppling over. We overkilled the bracket install detail to be super safe. The weak point is the concrete surrounding the M16 studs,

Insta account:

adrianjpawson

you made the chive...

https://thechive.com/2021/02/14/thats-pretty-fkin-awesome-25-photos/

23 hours ago, weta27 said:

we are the luckiest people in the world right now, to have had a wonderful, normal summer, an Americas Cup regatta, and a government that had the gumption to get on top of the problem early

Normal?  Lucky?  THREE cases where the source is obviously Government managed quarantine and....

• the largest part of the NZ economy is shut down;
  • an international sporting event is postponed;
  • jobs being lost;
  • businesses shut down.....

Hell no wonder ETNZ are looking to shift the cup off shore - when the rest of the world has got through the inevitable pain of Covid-19 we will still be under relative house arrest!

• Like 3
  • Downvote 13
15 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

THREE cases where the source is obviously Government managed quarantine

I can't imagine why a genius such as yourself is not employed by the Government instead of all those tedious scientists with medical qualifications and PhD's and decades of experience. After all what can a collection of people who have spent 30 years studying this exact subject offer that a semi literate sailing forum troll can't after a few minutes at a keyboard.

• Like 14
44 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Normal?  Lucky?  THREE cases where the source is obviously Government managed quarantine and....

• jobs being lost;

Hell no wonder ETNZ are looking to shift the cup off shore - when the rest of the world has got through the inevitable pain of Covid-19 we will still be under relative house arrest!

This is pretty silly. Please don't be so gullible.

11 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Te Rehutai getting ready for launching Kiwis aren't afraid of the rain. 

Hopefully not out for too long. Meant to be gusting 30knots later this arvo :blink:

2 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

• jobs being lost;

Yesterday, Cindy was spouting how great she was to bring the vaccine so much earlier than expected, when the first batch arrived in the country yesterday. That makes us about 80th country to receive vaccine supply. A short while ago, her partner in crime, Chippie was telling us how great we were for  being at the front of the queue for vaccine. I guess it took a while for them to find the queue.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 7

Some of you whining cunts should fuck off to wherever it is that you think is doing a better job of managing the disease and leave us alone to enjoy the cup

• Like 12
11 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

Yesterday, Cindy was spouting how great she was to bring the vaccine so much earlier than expected, when the first batch arrived in the country yesterday. That makes us about 80th country to receive vaccine supply. A short while ago, her partner in crime, Chippie was telling us how great we were for  being at the front of the queue for vaccine. I guess it took a while for them to find the queue.

I think being a long way down the list to receive stock of a vaccine is a badge of honour. It shows that there's been some good decision making early and over time and NZ's predicament is nothing compared to the position of other countries.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, kenergy said:

Some of you whining cunts should fuck off to wherever it is that you think is doing a better job of managing the disease and leave us alone to enjoy the cup

Well the piss poor disease management has "Jepradised" the regatta (Cindy speak)

• Like 1
  • Downvote 7
5 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

Well the piss poor disease management has "Jepradised" the regatta (Cindy speak)

The so called piss poor management allowed the regatta to be here in the first fucking place, so either fuck off and tell them all your genius ideas to fix everything,  or quit your whinging and stick to the sailing. 

• Like 11
15 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

Crikey Bill good to see you have your priorities right fuck the health and welfare of the population let's race.

You would be far better off venting your spleen at the Chinese democratic dictatorships front door.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Crikey Bill good to see you have your priorities right fuck the health and welfare of the population let's race.

You would be far better off venting your spleen at the Chinese democratic dictatorships front door.

Hey I don't like them either.

9 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

Hey I don't like them either.

Sure is the strangest AC regatta I have ever encountered but keeping fingers crossed we will see racing resume Thursday if possible.

Weekend looks light not what the teams or the fans want.

Maybe that should read not what one team wants.

31 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

STFU - go somewhere, contract covid-19 and don't bother us again.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

LOL. Another Cindy fan upset at any criticism of their goddess.

This is the laziest of rebuttals and can only be read as defeat...

• Like 4

What will be weird, if if if if the lockdown gets to a no 11-crew racing scenario, is if ETNZ as Defender will not agree with LR as CoR to postpone the dates of the Match. What happens if the two do not agree? Is ETNZ/RNZYS in breach for not Defending the agreed Challenge? If so, then what?

10 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Well you have to admit COVID has done a great job of flushing out the dickheads ....

Maybe they should come over here for a while and see what it’s like to be locked up for months on end with no end in sight. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, weta27 said:

As with the old saying, "possession is nine-tenths of the law"! :D

:D  yes, could get wild 

By a read of the DoG a breach would return trusteeship to GYYC. 

Hopefully NZ can track down this outbreak, isolate everything, fast! 

18 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

:D  yes, could get wild 

By a read of the DoG a breach would return trusteeship to GYYC. 

Hopefully NZ can track down this outbreak, isolate everything, fast! 

Yawn...Whatever. Keep dreaming up your make-believe scenarios and pass them on to your sailing illustrated mate... He also does a good line on tabloid sailing predictions that never happen.

2nd day in a row of zero cases. Amazing what a well run pandemic response and non-conspiracy population can do.

• Like 3

No new cases today, even with the large numbers of tests being carried out as a result of the three South Auckland cases. Things are looking hopeful.

Just watched Dr Ashley Bloomfield's briefing, after watching our Prime Minister the other night.

I wish the offshore members of this forum could see what an excellent job these two do, in terms of communicating and explaining the situation clearly.

It's especially impressive seeing a national leader capable of getting down amongst the detail like she does.

• Like 7
32 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

This is the laziest of rebuttals and can only be read as defeat...

Actually the lazy rebuttal was Comrade Indio. Not surprising, considering listening to other opinions has become crime of the century these days.

5 minutes ago, weta27 said:

No new cases today, even with the large numbers of tests being carried out as a result of the three South Auckland cases. Things are looking hopeful.

Just watched Dr Ashley Bloomfield's briefing, after watching our Prime Minister the other night.

I wish the offshore members of this forum could see what an excellent job these two do, in terms of communicating and explaining the situation clearly.

It's especially impressive seeing a national leader capable of getting down amongst the detail like she does.

It is still surprising that they kept the news that such a virulant version was on the loose a secret until after the parties and racing on Sunday. You would think that a situation that needs a level 3 lock down would need to be done as quickly as possible.

12 minutes ago, uflux said:

Yawn...Whatever. Keep dreaming up your make-believe scenarios and pass them on to your sailing illustrated mate... He also does a good line on tabloid sailing predictions that never happen.

2nd day in a row of zero cases. Amazing what a well run pandemic response and non-conspiracy population can do.

Nothing at all to do with Sailing Illustrated, was simply posing an interesting Deed ramifications question, for an if-if-if scenario. 

NZ has done an absolutely brilliant job of clamping out Covid, they will for damn certain go to the wall this time too if necessary. 

40 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

LOL. Another Cindy fan upset at any criticism of their goddess.

Correct. It seems wanting more protection from spread, equates to being a covid denier. Funny how people get defensive of any questioning of decisions made by our Dear Leader. We're in another fucking lockdown due to another error somewhere. We have done many things right in NZ but have got complacent. 

ACC insurance in NZ is paying out 6 figure sums to NZ nurses infected on the job, many with ongoing health problems, after being denied N95  masks and PPE thanks to Lord Bloomfield. Universal N95 in MIQ might have stopped several outbreaks, but are being hoarded by hospitals in case we actually get any sick people admitted. Around 10 million last I heard. And I can't get one. I buy P2s from a hardware store so I can go to work. 

Spit venom if you want on those who question why we are in lockdown and keep drinking the koolaid. This cup is going to be a hot mess in lots of ways now. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Nothing at all to do with Sailing Illustrated, was simply posing an interesting Deed ramifications question, for an if-if-if scenario. 

NZ has done an absolutely brilliant job of clamping out Covid, they will for damn certain go to the wall this time too if necessary. 

Your suggestion is not in anyone's interest. (except maybe for some lawyers)

When I see pigs flying outside my window I will take that one seriously :rolleyes:

58 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Well you have to admit COVID has done a great job of flushing out the dickheads

Because we were so short of dickheads....

2 hours ago, southseasbill said:

Cindy was spouting how great she was to bring the vaccine so much earlier than expected, when the first batch arrived in the country yesterday. That makes us about 80th country to receive vaccine supply.

Australia has received the vaccine at the exact same time as NZ. There's been some whinging over here, but most are cool with it. Both countries have done very well.

1 hour ago, NZL3481 said:

I think being a long way down the list to receive stock of a vaccine is a badge of honour. It shows that there's been some good decision making early and over time and NZ's predicament is nothing compared to the position of other countries.

And at least by the time NZ get the vaccine it will be the modified version that can handle the new strains of the virus.

46 minutes ago, Gissie said:
56 minutes ago, weta27 said:

It is still surprising that they kept the news that such a virulant version was on the loose a secret until after the parties and racing on Sunday. You would think that a situation that needs a level 3 lock down would need to be done as quickly as possible.

Gissie, it is still surprising how eager you are to slag off the excellent, widely-publicised efforts of our government to engage and involve all of our population in their efforts to control this outbreak.

OK. NZ is a small country and we're dealing with an outbreak that currently only involves three people. But this focus is only possible because of the policies adopted here since Day One.  Yeah, I know it isn't perfect and some individuals are lumbered with serious inconvenience or worse. However the majority is barely affected. 

A personal example. The Tracer App results show one of the infectious individuals visiting a shop only 3K from  my home. It also gives date and time. Not likely I'd have been there but encouraging to see the specificity the App provides.