3 hours ago, uflux said:

.......2nd day in a row of zero cases. Amazing what a well run pandemic response and non-conspiracy population can do.

Might read better if the words were amazing what a mote (pacific ocean) and a compliant population can do :)

• Replies 18.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3. To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right

Yes, quite light but I didn't see all the afternoon's sailing, can only comment on later in the day, when Britannia 2 was running a #1 jib and foiling around no problem. They look quite quick at times

Posted Images

2 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

Gissie, it is still surprising how eager you are to slag off the excellent, widely-publicised efforts of our government to engage and involve all of our population in their efforts to control this outbreak.

OK. NZ is a small country and we're dealing with an outbreak that currently only involves three people. But this focus is only possible because of the policies adopted here since Day One.  Yeah, I know it isn't perfect and some individuals are lumbered with serious inconvenience or worse. However the majority is barely affected. 

A personal example. The Tracer App results show one of the infectious individuals visiting a shop only 3K from  my home. It also gives date and time. Not likely I'd have been there but encouraging to see the specificity the App provides.

I am happy to agree we have lucked out. Some due to our leaders, but mainly due to our spread out style of living and lack of the unlicensed transport. An example is this last escape, meant to be much more virulent yet no other cases appearing at the moment. This lack of further cases has zero to do with our leaders. 

The reality is they have done okay. Yet the they have been put on a pedestal and treated as gods walking amongst us. Especially by the media who fawn all over Jacinta and Bloomfield. This blind adulation is a dangerous thing and could well end in tears. 

Anyway, back to the boats. 

• Like 7
37 minutes ago, Flags said:

Might read better if the words were amazing what a mote (pacific ocean) and a compliant population can do :)

A country listening to health experts 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

It’s an AC forum! Geez... relax. 

Dude any more chilled I would be in a coma :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, weta27 said:

Funny, the Police launch is cruising around the harbour and spotted a fast rib racing in past Bean Rock, so they put on their siren and flashing red light and took off after them. I was surprised the guy just kept going flat out, so took a photo - it was an INEOS chase boat! The police gave up the chase so must have realised who they were.

The police probably don't have a fast enough boat but I hear they have been ordered not to chase cars that don't stop, so maybe the same policy for boats.

12 minutes ago, Mudz said:

I’m pretty sure we have achieved herd immunity here. Every breach lately has resulted in zero community transmission. Must be something in the water. 

Lead?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Bugger, Justin beat me to it! I could see him taking that photo ...

DSC_6013.JPG

DSC_6019.JPG

DSC_6031.JPG

This seems to be a significant change for ETNZ given that they have traditionally held more sail than everyone else. 

1 minute ago, Ex-yachtie said:

This seems to be a significant change for ETNZ given that they have traditionally held more sail than everyone else. 

Might be their sail for the upper range in the match where they may have to sail in 23kts.

2 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

Imagine if the arrow was yellow!!!

my appoligies, but i have looked at he customised menu on 'snipping tool' and found yellow ... next time you will all be astounded :lol:

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Lickindip said:

my appoligies, but i have looked at he customised menu on 'snipping tool' and found yellow ... next time you will all be astounded :lol:

Without SA protocol, we're no better than animals.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Gissie said:

I am happy to agree we have lucked out. Some due to our leaders, but mainly due to our spread out style of living and lack of the unlicensed transport. An example is this last escape, meant to be much more virulent yet no other cases appearing at the moment. This lack of further cases has zero to do with our leaders. 

The reality is they have done okay. Yet the they have been put on a pedestal and treated as gods walking amongst us. Especially by the media who fawn all over Jacinta and Bloomfield. This blind adulation is a dangerous thing and could well end in tears. 

Anyway, back to the boats. 

you very clearly have not watched any of the PM and DGof health press conferences!

30 minutes ago, weta27 said:

DSC_6031.JPG

That batwing is back!

I love the way they just brutally cut into the Prada AC tile on the top, LR are gonna be pissed after #stickergate :D

2 hours ago, weta27 said:

.....................Very fuzzy far away pics only so far sorry..........................

TOPAZ GIGAPIXEL AI its like what you see on CSI when they enhance images ^_^. Works sometimes better than others, but pretty cool for far away / fuzzy

Just now, rh3000 said:

That batwing is back!

I love the way they just brutally cut into the Prada AC tile on the top, LR are gonna be pissed after #stickergate :D

It's damaged Prada stock, so half price?

17 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

They adopt another idea from AM.

Let's hope they do a better job of it than AM :rolleyes:

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, weta27 said:

DSC_6013.JPG

DSC_6019.JPG

DSC_6031.JPG

Thanks again Weta for being our eyes out there!

Now we know that Burling was doing when he helped fold the main after the AM capsize - sussing out their gear ...

• Like 1
Just now, uflux said:

Let's hope they do a better job of it than AM :rolleyes:

Foiling submarines won't take off as a concept.

5 hours ago, southseasbill said:

Yesterday, Cindy was spouting how great she was to bring the vaccine so much earlier than expected, when the first batch arrived in the country yesterday. That makes us about 80th country to receive vaccine supply. A short while ago, her partner in crime, Chippie was telling us how great we were for  being at the front of the queue for vaccine. I guess it took a while for them to find the queue.

Wow, if someone gave you a new shitter, you would complain that is smells too nice....  the US gave a billion $'s to each of the major vaccine producers to help them scale up the testing and production.  It takes time to scale up the vaccine and get is distributed to the people.   The US has started vaccinations and is not on a pace of 1.5 million/day.  I am 64 and in the last "Bernal population" category and most likely will not get vaccinated until maybe July.  You in NZ will be vaccinated way before us.  Our cases have dropped dramatically since the holiday gatherings, but we still have over 1,000/day dying from Covid.

You guys live in a bubble of normality that no one else in the world enjoys.  You have a few hiccups and use them as excuses to claim the sky is falling.  You need to spend some time hauling bodybags out to the refrigerator trucks in a hospital parking lot (because the morgue is full) to give your a dose of reality!

My comments are not just direct to you, but the chorus of posters that just do not understand.

• Like 20
  • Downvote 1
1 minute ago, Lickindip said:

maybe Deano is back on the payroll !!!!

No chance. You cross Dalton (as Deano did back in 2015 when he went crying to the media), you might be reconsidered for a role in 15-20 years once you've atoned for your sins...

NZ's "batwing" is a very strange cut!   AM's battens are where the measurement points are, to take advantage of the rules.  NZ's batten is clearly NOT!

image.thumb.png.671af97e4dbac996a957dff66252d948.png

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Wow, if someone gave you a new shitter, you would complain that is smells too nice....  the US gave a billion $'s to each of the major vaccine producers to help them scale up the testing and production.  It takes time to scale up the vaccine and get is distributed to the people.   The US has started vaccinations and is not on a pace of 1.5 million/day.  I am 64 and in the last "Bernal population" category and most likely will not get vaccinated until maybe July.  You in NZ will be vaccinated way before us.  Our cases have dropped dramatically since the holiday gatherings, but we still have over 1,000/day dying from Covid.

You guys live in a bubble of normality that no one else in the world enjoys.  You have a few hiccups and use them as excuses to claim the sky is falling.  You need to spend some time hauling bodybags out to the refrigerator trucks in a hospital parking lot (because the morgue is full) to give your a dose of reality!

My comments are not just direct to you, but the chorus of posters that just do not understand.

At some point the borders need to reopen. The vaccine mitigates effects of the virus, not stops transmission, nor eliminate the wee beastie.

When the borders do open, we need to be prepared to manage some level of infection, the significant illness that can result, and possibly deaths. 

There is sweet fuck all going on to prepare for that. Just a perception that the virus will solve it all and then things will return to normal.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, southseasbill said:

LOL. Another Cindy fan upset at any criticism of their goddess.

You really are a dork aren't you SSB.  Let it go.

8 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

I think AM failed more with the submarine concept than with the foiling concept. lol

They were giving it a good go. Those bloody ETNZ, KR and INEOS folk worked actively together to stop the first undersea trials.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Yeah the batwing aint pretty. Curious they're running a fairly large jib with what looks like they breeze up setup.

Soon as the As started foiling they went back to pin head (sort of) mains and decksweepers to get the sail area down low.

Reduce drag/better righting moment.

Looks suspiciously like a similar philosophy for the AC75

7 minutes ago, Wandering Geo said:

Looks suspiciously like a similar philosophy for the AC75

Yeah, they've got that fat, low aspect jib. Looking a lot like AM's sail plan.......Ewww......

1 minute ago, justsomeone said:

measurement is taken from  the line that joins the outer points

Not exactly... it's taken at the points ( 25|50|75% etc ) as per the measurement diagram above.

Interpretation 085

of

AC75 Class Rule Version 1.27 issued 15th January 2021

Rule References:
18.2 Local hollows or distortions of sail skin edges shall be bridged for all sail measurements.

ACFrOgBGcgSKYBHFxAJf4ymDviEf8dyKCst4LscPRrO2i9ya4nmmg66Jy_ZA5j1A3yr_Kcs4i9-Dv658Kw5_gxHsAiGHtPXj6hpDxXsTFqIXaLfc-TyAotrYxIsACzqpf4Y9F_Kf5s-RQmmLm8R9.pdf

7 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Thanks, Justin will have a longer video I think.

gotta wonder how much tension is on that "tit" batten and how it's tensioned ?

2 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

The US has started vaccinations and is not on a pace of 1.5 million/day.  I am 64 and in the last "Bernal population" category and most likely will not get vaccinated until maybe July.  You in NZ will be vaccinated way before us.  Our cases have dropped dramatically since the holiday gatherings, but we still have over 1,000/day dying from Covid.

Half your population voted in a fucking madman that put the world on edge for four long years. Once the virus struck, the people refused to wear masks or limit social contact because it was, "an infringement of our God given rights". This was encouraged by the President. The USA has 1,000 deaths a day because too many of their people are a bunch of arrogant idiots! Your former President cancelled the US's contribution to the WHO for fucks sakes. 

Israel spends four times the USA on medical research and has come up with their own vaccines that they're giving freely to the world.

Save us all from your fucking sanctimonious bullshit. 

It’s interesting that ETNZ has tried an AM idea. They wouldn’t of spent the money unless they believed it was going to work. It seems someone in the Kiwi Sailing Mafia had a word in their ear. 

23 minutes ago, mako23 said:

It seems someone in the Kiwi Sailing Mafia had a word in their ear. 

You think some of the AM guys have been chatting to ETNZ? Maybe Deanno or Terry told GD it's a good concept?

4 hours ago, southseasbill said:

Might be their sail for the upper range in the match where they may have to sail in 23kts.

But haven't they reduced that limit to 21 kts for both Prada Cup final and AC match?

26 minutes ago, mako23 said:

It’s interesting that ETNZ has tried an AM idea. They wouldn’t of spent the money unless they believed it was going to work. It seems someone in the Kiwi Sailing Mafia had a word in their ear. 

Hardly.

1 hour ago, DayTripper said:

No they don't.

edit...Damn. I went and did it, didn't I?

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

What colour is the sky in your world? 

Considering ETNZ's foils keep getting smaller. It would make sense to reduce the sail area in top-end conditions. If they can get that monstrosity to work :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, NZL3481 said:

No chance. You cross Dalton (as Deano did back in 2015 when he went crying to the media), you might be reconsidered for a role in 15-20 years once you've atoned for your sins...

There will be some good books written about that whole saga at some stage

57 minutes ago, sosoomii said:

Tell that to Ben Ainslie Racing.  Ok, it planes rather than foils, but clearly Sir Ben is a step ahead of the others :)

8kts underwater? So no cavitation issues then?

1 hour ago, sosoomii said:

Tell that to Ben Ainslie Racing.  Ok, it planes rather than foils, but clearly Sir Ben is a step ahead of the others :)

There are some Colombian's who might take an interest in this, on their stealth trips to the US. 

Much has been made of ETNZ inversion, yet they must see merit in reduced sail area aloft. Inversion might be a good idea with unwanted sail area, but second perhaps to just reducing sail area. 
I am looking forward to hear what Ken Read has to say about this after dissing AM batwing (quantum) sails. 

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Hardly.

Which bit is hardly?

it wasn’t an AM idea?

they didn’t spend any money and it doesn’t work

Or no one had a word in anyone’s ear? ( will give you the last point as no one needed too as it was visible as soon as AM tried their version) 

23 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Much has been made of ETNZ inversion, yet they must see merit in reduced sail area aloft. Inversion might be a good idea with unwanted sail area, but second perhaps to just reducing sail area. 
I am looking forward to hear what Ken Read has to say about this after dissing AM batwing (quantum) sails. 

Me too, worlds biggest sail maker making giant windsurfer sails. Thanks for the vids keep em. coming. 

Maybe it's not the shape but some new upper controls thats significant. Or conversely whats been removed. Have to wait for some spy shots 

2 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Small foils, batwing... Seems to me they are betting a lot on strong winds for the AC match.

Or just freaking out the challengers?  :D