• Replies 18.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3. To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right

Yes, quite light but I didn't see all the afternoon's sailing, can only comment on later in the day, when Britannia 2 was running a #1 jib and foiling around no problem. They look quite quick at times

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, Zeusproject said:

No one crossed interesting!

There was crossing at 6:30 and 11:50, but looks like they're practicing a tacking duel, with lots of fairly short legs.   Preparing for what we saw LRPP doing in the last two races perhaps?  in light air, as well. Nice spotting, bortolo.

• Like 1

Was watching them off taka beach about 6pm Weds, light NE-er (<7k at Rangi light, <10k top of the Takapuna tower block), so they were sailing in I would think about 5knots. Tacking and gybing at will. I did a double take, thinking I'm sure I didn't watch anyone change sides then, but the next tack they did, but seems something well worth practicing. 

• Like 2

Listening to Max's chat with LSD, I think the recent batwing main is a quick and dirty concept being evaluated by ETNZ. It looks to be a recut old main, as opposed to something new ordered from Norths.

• Like 1
On 2/18/2021 at 1:47 AM, Indio said:

Maybe not - maybe GA always had it planned for trialling and testing in the current time-frame.

May I be so bold as to suggest the AM concept was based on a North concept in the IMOCA class and the battens only stick out to make the sail measure. Its fairly clear what they are trying to achieve, but we're the main difference is between AM and TNZ is that the material of AM sails was not on the same level as TNZ in weight or resistance to stretch and so maintaining desired shape. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Status quo said:

May I be so bold as to suggest the AM concept was based on a North concept in the IMOCA class and the battens only stick out to make the sail measure. Its fairly clear what they are trying to achieve, but we're the main difference is between AM and TNZ is that the material of AM sails was not on the same level as TNZ in weight or resistance to stretch and so maintaining desired shape. 

And the TNZ solution is far more elegant in the batten treatment plus uses the graphics creatively. 1:0 NZ - USA.

20210219_075055.jpg

yysw304943.jpg

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, winchfodder said:

And the TNZ solution is far more elegant in the batten treatment plus uses the graphics creatively. 1:0 NZ - USA.

20210219_075055.jpg

yysw304943.jpg

But the Kiwi version cut the handle off the cup. How can that be better! :D

16 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

But the Kiwi version cut the handle off the cup. How can that be better! :D

It looks like a Prada urn now...

16 hours ago, Kiwing said:

@weta27 you are the only poster I have seen with more points than posts.  You deserve them too.  Keep up the good work.

That's 'cause he's a bloody legend. But there are others too. @fish7yu for example.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

That's 'cause he's a bloody legend. But there are others too. @fish7yu for example.

"Rudder" from the last challenge springs to mind .

Don't think I've seen anything from him since ?

1 hour ago, jaysper said:

The piece of shit that did that should have faced capital punishment.

A chainsaw enema on public tv.

With the other two teams taking the limelight, I wonder what the home team's up to? 15 hours without a post on this thread is a record for this thread and the ETNZ one before it, surely. 

1 hour ago, Salty Seacock said:

With the other two teams taking the limelight, I wonder what the home team's up to? 15 hours without a post on this thread is a record for this thread and the ETNZ one before it, surely. 

Yeah true 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ex-yachtie said:

So I watch all of Mozzy's vids about AC and think they are great, so this next statement is NOT reflection on his content.

How useless is our media when they are quoting an (admittedly fantastic) youtube channel?

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, jaysper said:

So I watch all of Mozzy's vids about AC and think they are great, so this next statement is NOT reflection on his content.

How useless is our media when they are quoting an (admittedly fantastic) youtube channel?

Yes, it’s been a touch sad when articles are written about what even Magnus W posts.. 

The Herald has had some decent material lately including from DB, am not sure if it is ‘premium’ since I subscribe and use their app too. 

LSD had a fun podcast interview with two Kiwis who are with Prada, it was surprisingly good. They are my favorite media so far, really cool. 

56 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Stuff spends most of their time in here doing their "research". That article even mentions the magnets........

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Stuff spends most of their time in here doing their "research". That article even mentions the magnets........

I guess there's nothing wrong with quoting great sources like Mozzy from time to time, but when it forms the bulk of your content then you really are treating SA like the open source version of Reuters.

1 hour ago, jaysper said:

So who else are they going to quote? The Sailing Professor? :D

2 minutes ago, jaysper said:

when it forms the bulk of your content then you really are treating SA like the open source version of Reuters.

I think they should acknowledge SA, at least Magnus does.

4 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Listen, don't mention the war magnets. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right.  

1148846420_FoilHat.png.69723a4bbd1ce7cbe2dba357c5c18058.png

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

I think they should acknowledge SA, at least Magnus does.

True. So does Sail World generally.

I'm surprised they acknowledged Mozzy quite frankly.

To be honest, the lowered deck was one of Mozzy's more obvious finds and they still didn't find it independently.

Good luck coming up with his more nuanced conclusions.

13 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I'm surprised they acknowledged Mozzy quite frankly.

I think it's good they did. I've watched his vids. I thought the chat with his buddies on foils whilst interesting, didn't really match the opening tittles, giving them a click bait feel. He has come up with some good points though. He is getting sponsorship now, so it will be interesting how handles the use of other peoples footage. Walking a bit of a fine line there imo.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

I think it's good they did. I've watched his vids. I thought the chat with his buddies on foils whilst interesting, didn't really match the opening tittles, giving them a click bait feel. He has come up with some good points though. He is getting sponsorship now, so it will be interesting how handles the use of other peoples footage. Walking a bit of a fine line their imo.

I'm glad they did too. Just surprised.

Not a lot of professionalism at the Herald.

• Like 2

If there were more international media, maybe the local media would have more material? Not their fault.

Barker has contributed at least 3 articles to the NZH recently, they are decent and obviously well-informed. 

40 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I'm glad they did too. Just surprised.

Not a lot of professionalism at the Herald.

Exactly. The Herald has become a right wing mouthpiece of the wealthy white. I was a paying subscriber until about two years ago. They have failed journalism and lost their way down a hole they'll not recover from without some massive change in leadership.

I'm qualified to say this. 

11 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

Exactly. The Herald has become a right wing mouthpiece of the wealthy white. I was a paying subscriber until about two years ago. They have failed journalism and lost their way down a hole they'll not recover from without some massive change in leadership.

I don't think they are right wing at all. They have plenty of outrageously biased crackpots on both side.

But they most definitely are fucking useless IMO.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

If there were more international media, maybe the local media would have more material? Not their fault.

Barker has contributed at least 3 articles to the NZH recently, they are decent and obviously well-informed. 

Nah, they are useless regardless of what they report on.

31 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

You have to be joking. They are further left than the old time Pravda in the Soviet Union.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1
24 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I don't think they are right wing at all. They have plenty of outrageously biased crackpots on both side.

But they most definitely are fucking useless IMO.

They might not be right wing from your position but they are definitely from mine!  Neutral of course?

4 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

You have to be joking. They are further left than the old time Pravda in the Soviet Union.

They are both IMO.

They are completely unbalanced left and right, depending on who has the crayons in their hands.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, Gladwell says

If the Brits lose both races today they are headed for the Boulevard of Broken [America's Cup] Dreams, or if they win one they stay alive to sail on Monday. If they can win two they will be on an America's Cup comeback - and it will be the Italians who are in trouble at 4-3.

Regardless, I generally like Sail-World.

10 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

That doesn't make any sense to me. How can you have sail area below the deck?

The "deck" is the level at which the sail mounts the mounting point and so from the point of view of the rules, anything (roughly) below the crew pods doesn't count as sail area.

10 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

That doesn't make any sense to me. How can you have sail area below the deck?

Rather than lower the mast to leave the mast at the rule level. Lower the deck and introduce a pedestal that the mast sits on at the original position. 15ft odd square feet of free sail area

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, uflux said:

Rather than lower the mast to leave the mast at the rule level. Lower the deck and introduce a pedestal that the mast sits on at the original position. 15ft odd square feet of free sail area

And more importantly right down low where it causes minimum heel.

absolutely the herald should be shut down!  The ownership and editorial staff are simply dishonest and corrupt.  they may possibly have some genuine journalists on the books but they have no autonomy and their content is regularly mis-presented.  scum!!

now dont get me started on the  listener with their anonymous  editorial propaganda pieces .

The Herald has become a right wing mouthpiece of the wealthy white

Become? Its notoriously been that for its entire existence back to promoting the invasion of the Waikato on behalf of its banker, parliamentarian owners who stood to make a fortune from it.

Back in the day though they had quality editorial staff.

When I was a kid delivering the Herald around my neighbourhood, finding a spelling/grammar mistake in old Granny Herald was considered newsworthy in itself.

21 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

^^^^ Oh okay, I'll take you guys word for it.....

This one from launch day clearly shows the 'raised' ball.

cAnyNAS.jpg

The ball height is actually tightly regulated by the rule -> the deck is actually lowered.

The mast comes down to the deck externally so you don't see it with the mast on.

• Like 3

We know Luna Rossa gave ETNZ their test boat and foiling software for AC35 in exchange for going to monohulls and becoming CoR if they were to go on to win… might they have also made a deal to give them the cup should they make it to the finals? 

Will never know, but sometimes the tin foil had also makes for a fun thinking cap. 

• Downvote 1
8 hours ago, southseasbill said:

Hahahahahaha...oh you're serious?  You really do need to get out more SSB!

11 hours ago, jaysper said:

I blame Facebook for destroying the business model of paid-for journalism.

(I'm only half joking.)

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Aren't there two, one in NZ, one in the Med? 

Thanks for destroying my theory that she was extremely well travelled :lol:

And now, the long wait until AC36 starts. I'll see you guys in a couple of weeks. 

This place will now degenerate into an abusive zone. 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

And now, the long wait until AC36 starts. I'll see you guys in a couple of weeks. 

This place will now degenerate into an abusive zone. 

You’ll miss all the entertainment Salty :D

13 hours ago, Nauti Buoy said:

We know Luna Rossa gave ETNZ their test boat and foiling software for AC35 in exchange for going to monohulls and becoming CoR if they were to go on to win… might they have also made a deal to give them the cup should they make it to the finals? 

Will never know, but sometimes the tin foil had also makes for a fun thinking cap. 

Yip. Seems like a fair trade. 

What was it NO was saying after the races about Te Rehutai's foils being 30% smaller meaning they were at a big disadvantage to LRPP? Is there really that much of a difference? 

9 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

What was it NO was saying after the races about Te Rehutai's foils being 30% smaller meaning they were at a big disadvantage to LRPP? Is there really that much of a difference? 

If they are able to fly across the wind range with smaller foils I think it is an advantage, in terms of drag. I don't know in terms of maneuverability.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, strider470 said:

If they are able to fly across the wind range with smaller foils I think it is an advantage, in terms of drag. I don't know in terms of maneuverability.

Thanks mate:)

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

Thanks for this, hard to find media that isn't paywalled and geo-blocked :)

Just now, weta27 said:

That's what NO was saying, if Te Rehutai can get up and foil in the light on those much smaller foils, they will have less drag at the top end. Or words to that effect ...

Thanks, and what about disadvantages? 

28 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

Thanks, and what about disadvantages? 

My understanding is that they are a lot more sensitive, so not very forgiving if either foil angle or flap angle is not quite right.

I ran some numbers on narrow vs wide foils... to generate a required lift force, the narrow foils require a greater flap angle. However, at all boat speeds from 20-60 knots, it appears that the narrower foils have a significantly higher Lift/Drag ratio.

So apart from perhaps being more forgiving due to a greater stability margin, I don't know why GB & LR went for the wide foils.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

Thanks for this, hard to find media that isn't paywalled and geo-blocked :)

Try Firefox plus add-on "Bypass Paywalls" (other browsers probably have similar)

For geo-blocking, you need VPN. I use Torguard's vpn, inexpensive, easy to use, I'm happy with it.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

My understanding is that they are a lot more sensitive, so not very forgiving if either foil angle or flap angle is not quite right.

I ran some numbers on narrow vs wide foils... to generate a required lift force, the narrow foils require a greater flap angle. However, at all boat speeds from 20-60 knots, it appears that the narrower foils have a significantly higher Lift/Drag ratio.

So apart from perhaps being more forgiving due to a greater stability margin, I don't know why GB & LR went for the wide foils.

Thanks a million for the explanation mate, makes sense, I'm fresh out of likes for today, but will be back :)

3 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Try Firefox plus add-on "Bypass Paywalls" (other browsers probably have similar)

For geo-blocking, you need VPN. I use Torguard's vpn, inexpensive, easy to use, I'm happy with it.

Thanks, I didn't know about the Firefox add-on, will check it out for sure. 

I have HMA VPN for most geo-blocked content, but it doesn't seem to work for NZ too well, will check out Torguard, thanks again B)