• Replies 18.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3. To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right

They towed out around 11am and the breeze was light and puffy to start with. Foiled down the Channel and headed out to the Bays. The breeze started to build around midday and they got some long runs i

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Poetry in motion!

You can often tell when the boat is not at max speed (for the TWS) as they reduce bow down pitch to get more lift from the foil, then as they hit full speed, it's back to about -2°.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Baconator said:

I just did a count....

Ever wondered why nobody, zilch, nada, zero ...  People reply to your posts...

:D

^^^^^^ :lol:

• Like 1

At about 2.40 in the @airflownz video above, after slowing right down, she turns towards North Head and accelerates - the sound of the creaking and cranking as she took off was impressive, as was the feeling of power.

Love this boat.

DSC_6157.JPG

• Like 6
9 hours ago, The Advocate said:

Agree, very much a Hail Mary move from GD. His thinking doesn't stack up.

We don't know what he is thinking. 

1 hour ago, fish7yu said:

the angles they gybe through don't look especially wide, coming up on the wind after the turn and then going deeper.

my concern is that LR didn't do this in any of the light air races they just stayed on a deeper course going through wider angles on the gybe. I can only hope that they have enough of a speed advantage to negate it but I am worried in 8 kts.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Baconator said:

Rnzys is just a race hosting club.... Unlike new York..  who get the cash for team America Magic.

Dalton could choose the dannevirke yacht club ( a $500 shed on a farm) if he wanted.

The club don't even manage the races.

Unfortunately that is not the situation. The AC is governed by a deed of gift which in turn is governed by NY law. ETNZ may have a cast iron contract with the RNZYS but if Dalts tried to choose another YC, that would be in breach of the deed of gift.  In legal terms, the cup cannot be given to another club by either ETNZ or RNZYS.   It can only be removed by a valid challenge (or relinquished to prior club in specific circumstances...see deed) 

The cup resides at the club which won the cup.  The only loophole is that RNZYS could accept a challenge from Dalts club and then lose that challenge.  But the challenging club would have to meet the deed of gift requirements as Allinghi found out when they tried to create a bogus challenging club and got sued in NY court.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

the angles they gybe through don't look especially wide, coming up on the wind after the turn and then going deeper.

my concern is that LR didn't do this in any of the light air races they just stayed on a deeper course going through wider angles on the gybe. I can only hope that they have enough of a speed advantage to negate it but I am worried in 8 kts.

Yup.  That may be why they're still so interested in the CZ.

11 hours ago, minimumfuss said:

You forget we use the metric system in NZ so it's 70 m/s obviously. 

INEOS was aiming for the wrong speeds all the time due to that confusion.

1 hour ago, dullers said:

INEOS was aiming for the wrong speeds all the time due to that confusion.

I was concerned that AM would turn up with a 75 yard boat :lol:

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

SouthSeaBill called it, let's hope it's not too wild.

"I mean you know the only thing you know about the forecasters is wrong, right..."

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Let's hope it is 22 :D

You do know they reduced the upper limit to 21 knots?    So 22 means no race... :(

5 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Nothing like watching boats sit in the shed ;-)

At least in a static, beauty contest LR has better odds to win than against TR in strong winds ;)

• Like 2
1 minute ago, strider470 said:

Paradoxically I think ETNZ benefits more than LR for the wind limit lowering.

Have to disagree

the light air performance from when they last raced was in LR favour until they both came off the foils 

that performance has grown hugely, what has changed is that NZ foil set up has got smaller.

I think LR will relish Light air 

2 minutes ago, strider470 said:

You've piqued my interest... I'll bite, why?

20 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Have to disagree

the light air performance from when they last raced was in LR favour until they both came off the foils 

that performance has grown hugely, what has changed is that NZ foil set up has got smaller.

Yes I agree.  I mean that since TR is very happy in medium high wind, going towards the old 23 limit could be unnecessarily risky. In those same condition LR wouldn't have nothing to lose. Any accident could end really badly, we have seen. This applies if TR is as fast as the rumors say.

the other fun variable is that ETNZ are only 6 months? into practical application of their boomless system (at full scale)

LR are two-three years in plus not being truly boom less,  a lot of what is under the deck is having to be packaged in the clew and lower zone  of the sail on ETNZ making it bulkier than the solution on LR.

its going to be intriguing watching with no horse in the race  

24 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Yes I agree.  I mean that since TR is very happy in medium high wind, going towards the old 23 limit could be unnecessarily risky. In those same condition LR wouldn't have nothing to lose. Any accident could end really badly, we have seen. This applies if TR is as fast as the rumors say.

Nor we should forget that LR has another boat, and ETNZ doesn't.

5 minutes ago, Thewas said:

Nor we should forget that LR has another boat, and ETNZ doesn't.

But after the official measurement I don't think they can jump on a different boat.

• Like 1
Just now, bortolo said:

Are they allowed to switch to B1 once the match series is started?

Smart question: I read somewhere, moths ago, that some parts of the protocol gave some flexibility in case of a crash, but no idea if this can go up too a whole boat. Unlikely.

7 minutes ago, bortolo said:

Are they allowed to switch to B1 once the match series is started?

Unless it has changed in this iteration it is very much a case of "Run what y'all brung"

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

Have to disagree

Agree. Watching the last race they came together in around 11 knots and less LR looked to be equal (as TR was often in their dirty air) or faster upwind and down.

2 hours ago, strider470 said:

I agree. LR has more control, I remember Max saying that in the very highest wind range (that was 23knots at that time) ETNZ could have problems

11 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Unfortunately that is not the situation. The AC is governed by a deed of gift which in turn is governed by NY law. ETNZ may have a cast iron contract with the RNZYS but if Dalts tried to choose another YC, that would be in breach of the deed of gift.  In legal terms, the cup cannot be given to another club by either ETNZ or RNZYS.   It can only be removed by a valid challenge (or relinquished to prior club in specific circumstances...see deed) 

The cup resides at the club which won the cup.  The only loophole is that RNZYS could accept a challenge from Dalts club and then lose that challenge.  But the challenging club would have to meet the deed of gift requirements as Allinghi found out when they tried to create a bogus challenging club and got sued in NY court.

The foreign bid process closes on February 28, can’t wait for these to leaked. 

Thing not said about the unmeasured area:

While it may not be particularly efficient area, by having the inefficient deck interacting area down there, the actual measured bit is operating in much cleaner wind that much further away from the deck interaction.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, strider470 said:

Team New Zealand is good... but Emirates flies better. They should have a challenger of their own :D

20210227_162255.jpg.c60c3f82cdf4e4b56060dd37f85b4f27.jpg

Speaking of sponsors, what ever happened to HP? Did their sponsorship end in 2020?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rh3000 said:

Speaking of sponsors, what ever happened to HP? Did their sponsorship end in 2020?

This is what's on the ETNZ homepage now, would have thought they'd all be on the boat somewhere alright, maybe on match day 1 she'll have updated decals?

sponsors.PNG