Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3. To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right

They towed out around 11am and the breeze was light and puffy to start with. Foiled down the Channel and headed out to the Bays. The breeze started to build around midday and they got some long runs i

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

New from Justin 

 

some great straight on footage in the last quarter showing top third control, (less than I thought ), and some head on with great view of the slot

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, strider470 said:

What a sad situation. Is the NZHerald the main NZ newspaper? I heard many people here saying that the NZH is not very good. My impression from the outside is not bad though.

My cat doesn't want to even shit on it. It's a wimmins mag with delusions of media adequacy.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Salty Seacock said:

An old workmate sailor who lives at Beachlands has been watching TNZ sailing through the waters out front. He just happens to be a former RNZ navigator with some pretty good trigonometry skills. I've asked him a few times about judging speed from a single fixed point over an estimated distance. I got a complex answer and examples from the German method used by U-boat skippers in WW2. 

The point he nailed me with was that telling a speed difference between 40 and 50 knots at a distance of 1 NM is simple to see. "Just get them to sail the same line twice, once at 40 knots and once at 50 knots. You'll be able to tell the difference then".

Maths nerds have always frustrated me.

Hahaha... for an "old" nerd, that's pretty cool!  :)

Kinda reminds me of when as a young Scout we were taught how to estimate the height of a tree.

Simple answers from simple maths.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nutta said:

My cat doesn't want to even shit on it. It's a wimmins mag with delusions of media adequacy.

Move on. We don't use cats anymore in the AC! ;)

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, uflux said:

RNZ if you want information 

 Biased information. From communists. In "Te Reo".

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Yup if you want to listen to Kim Hill interviewing some chick from Arkansas who has spent her whole life perfecting how to caramelise onions whilst listening to Verdi.

I did that while spending hours driving tractors. Time stretched to infinity...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DayTripper said:

Hosking fan?

Nah, he's a lefty communist too.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DayTripper said:

Looks like an International...

Crikey DT I thought you knew your tractors my ride dates from the 1930s the International didn’t make an appearance until the 1960s.

Is your MF a 1959?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, minimumfuss said:

That was such a fucking lame childish idea... it was like a secondary school student stunt that failed... the 'team' responsible for the idea should have got a bollocking for wasting the last $2 left in the building, but instead they went to the effort of stitching a video and story together to try and eke out some banner ad revenue...

It felt like b-roll from that lame TVNZ/Toyota parady shit...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, strider470 said:

Can you suggest some more reliable sources of information? I like to read local points of view.

The whole media in NZ seems left wing based now. Ten years ago it seemed more even. I don’t think our media lie, but there’s always a left wing slant on things. The Herald was once a great paper,  now I just ignore it completely.
This phenomenon is not unique to NZ. With a changing demographic and younger people views being so different, it’s coming completely clear that the views I hold are becoming a minority.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

You will get far more erudite and balanced information here on SAAC than you will from any print radio or TV source in the home of the Cup for now:P

I'm "Like-less" for now, so... +++

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Is your MF a 1959?

Don't know. They were hard to beat, I don't think I've used a tractor with better steering or three point hydraulics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Nutta would be more of a Rhema man.

CB3677A2-08FC-4484-8124-07FF5B45F9E8.png.fe302be78cc7fee739e9734e78d7f3cc.png

 

I prefer a good music station, but my preferred genre - Hungarian Death Barbershop with Country Crossover - is a bit thin on the ground...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Looks pretty slick. Nice wheelie at ~9:45

Good brakes!  Always reminds me of a bird "flaring" to land.

10:39 shows that even the Kiwis don't get it perfectly every time. :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Never quite got what turned Granny Herald so visceral towards TNZ for this regatta.

Just desperate attempt to have an 'exclusive' 'spectacle' for the attention to be monetised... often it needs to be manufactured... 

Being pariahs as a consequence just helps them conflate their drivel with journalism

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DayTripper said:

Falling circulation must have something to do with it.

Crikey maybe their Aussie paymasters are labouring under the misconception that the Handbags are a local campaign cock a hoop with the prospect of JS only needing to helm with one wheel for certain victory.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Just desperate attempt to have an 'exclusive' 'spectacle' for the attention to be monetised... often it needs to be manufactured... 

I heard a while ago from the spokesperson of a highly-placed individual that this is factually "alternative facts".

However, I understand that neither have a job now, so....  :huh:

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, mako23 said:

The whole media in NZ seems left wing based now. Ten years ago it seemed more even. I don’t think our media lie, but there’s always a left wing slant on things. The Herald was once a great paper,  now I just ignore it completely.
This phenomenon is not unique to NZ. With a changing demographic and younger people views being so different, it’s coming completely clear that the views I hold are becoming a minority.

It not just the younger people, but I hear you. There are a lot of young people that are very similar to us, and a lot of older people on their bandwagon just to be seen as progressive. It is that they are so vocal makes them seem so many.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

I heard a while ago from the spokesperson of a highly-placed individual that this is factually "alternative facts".

However, I understand that neither have a job now, so....  :huh:

Yep. Then they is "their truths" "their lived experience" and so on.

In my day we just went "bullshit" but now that makes you some kind of right wing bigot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, risking being on topic in this thread, has ETNZ measured in for the Cup match, and what do we know for sure? Anything different or surprising?

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Nutta said:

 Biased information. From communists. In "Te Reo".

 

Heaven forbid we have to hear an official language of New Zealand....

 

DF11AB99-6737-4CEF-80C9-56FA17225F5F.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Advocate said:

Yep. Then they is "their truths" "their lived experience" and so on.

In my day we just went "bullshit" but now that makes you some kind of right wing bigot.

Ah, the cry of the Murdoch boyz, no opinion, no research, just listen to the plethora of highly opinionated opinion anchors who can't even be held accountable for their talk as everyone should know they talk Shit. 

Seems highly coincidental that any where Murdoch peddles his wares there is a 30% populace...just like you.

  • Like 5
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, @southseasbill, I see I hit a nerve!!! You're not a Murdoch boyz are you? Got the wee leech in your rear (ear) like a Star Trek episode? Oh, is it spinning in there bumping up against the bits that it hasn't devoured? 

Oh my

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, uflux said:

Heaven forbid we have to hear an official language of New Zealand....

 

DF11AB99-6737-4CEF-80C9-56FA17225F5F.jpeg

Then make Red Radio broadcast 100% Maori language. Have the courage of their convictions! I wonder what the listenership would drop to, and why?

Or do a Maori version on one frequency, and simulcast English on another. Let the consumer decide on which they listen to, publish figures, and justify airtime based on those?

Will never happen, for obvious reasons.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, barfy said:

Ah, the cry of the Murdoch boyz, no opinion, no research, just listen to the plethora of highly opinionated opinion anchors who can't even be held accountable for their talk as everyone should know they talk Shit. 

Seems highly coincidental that any where Murdoch peddles his wares there is a 30% populace...just like you.

I can't stand Murdoch or his influence, but keep peddling your bullshit.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Nutta said:

Then make Red Radio broadcast 100% Maori language.

Or we can fucking deal with a few words/phrases.

'Oh noes I'm afraid and angry about a bit of multiculturalism!' How terrible :rolleyes:

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hoom said:

Or we can fucking deal with a few words/phrases.

'Oh noes I'm afraid and angry about a bit of multiculturalism!' How terrible :rolleyes:

Or we could pick a language and use it?

Would anyone listen to a 100% Maori broadcast station, and could it stack up commercially?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, barfy said:

Ah, the cry of the Murdoch boyz, no opinion, no research, just listen to the plethora of highly opinionated opinion anchors who can't even be held accountable for their talk as everyone should know they talk Shit. 

Seems highly coincidental that any where Murdoch peddles his wares there is a 30% populace...just like you.

"You Literally Can't Believe The Facts Tucker Carlson Tells You. So Say Fox's Lawyers"

Now comes the claim that you can't expect to literally believe the words that come out of Carlson's mouth. And that assertion is not coming from Carlson's critics. It's being made by a federal judge in the Southern District of New York and by Fox News's own lawyers in defending Carlson against accusations of slander. It worked, by the way.

Just read U.S. District Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil's opinion, leaning heavily on the arguments of Fox's lawyers: The "'general tenor' of the show should then inform a viewer that [Carlson] is not 'stating actual facts' about the topics he discusses and is instead engaging in 'exaggeration' and 'non-literal commentary.' "

She wrote: "Fox persuasively argues, that given Mr. Carlson's reputation, any reasonable viewer 'arrive with an appropriate amount of skepticism' about the statement he makes."
 
This represents the source of "facts" that ~46% of US voters relied on.   Scary!  :ph34r:
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nutta said:

So, risking being on topic in this thread, has ETNZ measured in for the Cup match, and what do we know for sure? Anything different or surprising?

surely that happened yesterday already...where are the spies, where they on INEOS payroll?

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Nutta said:

Or we could pick a language and use it?

Would anyone listen to a 100% Maori broadcast station, and could it stack up commercially?

What, like these? http://www.irirangi.net/listen-online.aspx

Harden the fuck up you fucking miserable cunt of a racist crybaby.

 

You go run away now and try to convince everyone in the world to use English, the rest of us will cope with there being a tiny amount of maori language in our life.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jandals said:

I reckon she's flippin gorgeous! 

Great girl! What an amazing place to start your engineering career.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mako23 said:

The whole media in NZ seems left wing based now. Ten years ago it seemed more even. I don’t think our media lie, but there’s always a left wing slant on things. The Herald was once a great paper,  now I just ignore it completely.
This phenomenon is not unique to NZ. With a changing demographic and younger people views being so different, it’s coming completely clear that the views I hold are becoming a minority.

This is a monumentally laughable claim. Most news media are owned by large organisations which are famously ruthless business operators - Newscorp, Murdoch, NZME, Nine Entertainment etc. They routinely show significant pro-business bias in their editorial leanings, prop up the real estate industries with endless coverage etc.

It really is a thing of the modern era for people who've lost a recent election to spend the next 3-9 years bitching that the media are biased the opposite way to whatever their political beliefs are. In reality right wing voices are loud in most of the key media, even for the first time in news history the scales have been balanced up somewhat.

In NZ alone many of the most widely read and listened to commentators are deranged right leaning idiots - Mike Hosking, Heather Du Plessis-Allan, Barry Soper. Even Duncan Garner has gone from being a moderate battler for all causes to a right leaning contrarian in recent years. These types always argue they're just keeping the government honest but notably they are far more likely to ignore failings by the right whether they're in government or opposition.

In America it's worse but the grievance factory driven by right-leaning politicians and pundits would have you think the media was heavily biased to the left when every study shows that to be horseshit. It seems that the more a Kiwi watches American media (Fox especially) the less capable they are of any form of reasonable comment on NZ's media landscape. They just parrot the same crap they get fed on American news as-if it relates to NZ. It rarely does.

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nonsense, it's just inspired by Pistol Petes favourite spy films.

image.png.8638ebe87d94f2012b3c79b1d186f399.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JonRowe said:

Nonsense, it's just inspired by Pistol Petes favourite spy films.

image.png.8638ebe87d94f2012b3c79b1d186f399.png

with looooooot of fantasy

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its just a swirl of colours, any resemblance to Alinghi is coincidence ;) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JonRowe said:

Its just a swirl of colours, any resemblance to Alinghi is coincidence ;) 

They are lucky RC no longer works there, he would have sued ETNZ, as he almost did for the real-time graphics of the TV coverage.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Is there a reason why the drawing on ETNZ sails is so similar to (at least inspired by) the Alinghi logo?

ETNZ-Alinghi.thumb.jpg.10a7ae6dcfc7c3b1724433bdf7bad1b3.jpg

 

Too siumilar for coincidence

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Is there a reason why the drawing on ETNZ sails is so similar to (at least inspired by) the Alinghi logo?

ETNZ-Alinghi.thumb.jpg.10a7ae6dcfc7c3b1724433bdf7bad1b3.jpg

 

 

This  ETNZ logo was designed by  Peter Burling and Blair Tuke, so they'll be more comfortable next year with an Alinghi t-shirt

(just joking guys)  :) :) 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Zaal said:

This  ETNZ logo was designed by  Peter Burling and Blair Tuke, so they'll be more comfortable next year with an Alinghi t-shirt

(just joking guys)  :) :) 

You are lucky that I do not downvote posts.

 

 

 

 

;)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, strider470 said:

Is there a reason why the drawing on ETNZ sails is so similar to (at least inspired by) the Alinghi logo?

ETNZ-Alinghi.thumb.jpg.10a7ae6dcfc7c3b1724433bdf7bad1b3.jpg

 

GD hinting to Bertarelli he also wants to cash in?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Never quite got what turned Granny Herald so visceral towards TNZ for this regatta.

You're implying that they have some sort of collective consciousness.  In fact, they look for some sort of controversy, just for the sake of clicks.  Then, once they discover they're wrong, they double down on it rather than admit incompetence.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, strider470 said:

Is there a reason why the drawing on ETNZ sails is so similar to (at least inspired by) the Alinghi logo?

ETNZ-Alinghi.thumb.jpg.10a7ae6dcfc7c3b1724433bdf7bad1b3.jpg

 

Stockholm Syndrome.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

Mckinsey & Company AI

 

Illustrates just how much ETNZ are at the forefront of sailing innovation and technology. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paddywackery said:

Illustrates just how much ETNZ are at the forefront of sailing innovation and technology. 

@Zaal made a very strong statement today in the Forza Luna Rossa ! (Italian Version)  thread about the presumed technology gap between ETNZ and the other teams. It is very sharp and I urge you all to read it (post #125, GTranslate does a reasonable job).
Among other things, he claims that LRPP and ETNZ have exactly the same simulator.
Before we hyperventilate about bots remember: AI is no match for HE.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mauriciogfj said:

@Zaal made a very strong statement today in the Forza Luna Rossa ! (Italian Version)  thread about the presumed technology gap between ETNZ and the other teams. It is very sharp and I urge you all to read it (post #125, GTranslate does a reasonable job).
Among other things, he claims that LRPP and ETNZ have exactly the same simulator.
Before we hyperventilate about bots remember: AI is no match for HE.

Will do, but steady on with the ‘hyperventilating’. You can have the same simulator but different software/AI. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DayTripper said:

I did that while spending hours driving tractors. Time stretched to infinity...

..listening to Verdi or to Kim Hill??:P

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

That's pathetic desperate keyboard journalism - NZH could have just linked to the Planetsail youtube channel where punters would have enjoyed the video of he interview 100 times better than the BS herald "article". Hope they paid Planetsail for using their stuff.

This is the main reason they've been banned by ACE and ETNZ from the AC Media Centre. Good fucking job!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paddywackery said:

Illustrates just how much ETNZ are at the forefront of sailing innovation and technology. 

How does it illustrate that? The Match will be pretty much the only illustration of differences we will get. I am pretty over the PR/head games vids.

21 minutes ago, mauriciogfj said:

@Zaal made a very strong statement today in the Forza Luna Rossa ! (Italian Version)  thread about the presumed technology gap between ETNZ and the other teams. It is very sharp and I urge you all to read it (post #125, GTranslate does a reasonable job).
Among other things, he claims that LRPP and ETNZ have exactly the same simulator.
Before we hyperventilate about bots remember: AI is no match for HE.

Good post!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Advocate said:

How does it illustrate that? 

Well last time I looked, they innovated significantly to deliver and execute a crushing defeat to OTUSA and win AC 35. I won’t list the innovations but it’s lengthy and well documented. 
 

As co-creators of the AC 75, they’ve shown further innovation and creativity which you’ve doubtless seen on the race course. The boats are thrilling and fast. 
 

That’s my point, not that it’s a slam dunk or anything like it ..... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, mauriciogfj said:

@Zaal made a very strong statement today in the Forza Luna Rossa ! (Italian Version)  thread about the presumed technology gap between ETNZ and the other teams. It is very sharp and I urge you all to read it (post #125, GTranslate does a reasonable job).
Among other things, he claims that LRPP and ETNZ have exactly the same simulator.
Before we hyperventilate about bots remember: AI is no match for HE.

I'm pretty sure Jimmy is a robot anyway.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Well last time I looked, they innovated significantly to deliver and execute a crushing defeat to OTUSA and win AC 35. I won’t list the innovations but it’s lengthy and well documented. 
 

As co-creators of the AC 75, they’ve shown further innovation and creativity which you’ve doubtless seen on the race course. The boats are thrilling and fast. 
 

That’s my point, not that it’s a slam dunk or anything like it ..... 

Ah, thank you for the clarification.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bob202 said:

This is a monumentally laughable claim. Most news media are owned by large organisations which are famously ruthless business operators - Newscorp, Murdoch, NZME, Nine Entertainment etc. They routinely show significant pro-business bias in their editorial leanings, prop up the real estate industries with endless coverage etc.

It really is a thing of the modern era for people who've lost a recent election to spend the next 3-9 years bitching that the media are biased the opposite way to whatever their political beliefs are. In reality right wing voices are loud in most of the key media, even for the first time in news history the scales have been balanced up somewhat.

In NZ alone many of the most widely read and listened to commentators are deranged right leaning idiots - Mike Hosking, Heather Du Plessis-Allan, Barry Soper. Even Duncan Garner has gone from being a moderate battler for all causes to a right leaning contrarian in recent years. These types always argue they're just keeping the government honest but notably they are far more likely to ignore failings by the right whether they're in government or opposition.

In America it's worse but the grievance factory driven by right-leaning politicians and pundits would have you think the media was heavily biased to the left when every study shows that to be horseshit. It seems that the more a Kiwi watches American media (Fox especially) the less capable they are of any form of reasonable comment on NZ's media landscape. They just parrot the same crap they get fed on American news as-if it relates to NZ. It rarely does.

My quote is more about me getting older and not in tune with the younger generation. I suspect this a common experience for the older generation. Not so much left versus right 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mako23 said:

My quote is more about me getting older and not in tune with the younger generation. I suspect this a common experience for the older generation. Not so much left versus right 

Absolutely!  The common theme for me, whether it be with the media or a bit less so with the younger generation is their penchant for over-complicating things and banging on ad infinitum when there's usually a more straightforward answer.  Come to think of it, a bit like this forum :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Indio said:

Brilliance knows no gender. Hope more females join the team..

As the father of a female sailor, its great to see this from the teams. There was a good youtube video on one of these girls early in the piece, maybe even before there was a boat built. Not sure she will be an engineer but we can all dream :)

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Nutta said:

Or we could pick a language and use it?

Language has always been, and will always be, fluid. Maybe you should drop French and Latin words from your vocab, see how far you get?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone capture or see this? 

"Team New Zealand had one alarming moment during training on Tuesday, with Te Rehutai leaping skyward at one stage before Burling calmly brought it under control" 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WakaNZ said:

Did anyone capture or see this? 

"Team New Zealand had one alarming moment during training on Tuesday, with Te Rehutai leaping skyward at one stage before Burling calmly brought it under control" 

If it is referring to what I saw somewhere,  it was just stopping the boat to displacement. Nothing particularly alarming

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WakaNZ said:

Did anyone capture or see this? 

"Team New Zealand had one alarming moment during training on Tuesday, with Te Rehutai leaping skyward at one stage before Burling calmly brought it under control" 

I think it was called stopping for afternoon tea.

There was nothing in it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WakaNZ said:

Did anyone capture or see this? 

"Team New Zealand had one alarming moment during training on Tuesday, with Te Rehutai leaping skyward at one stage before Burling calmly brought it under control

Probably just fake news from stuffed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Indio said:

Brilliance knows no gender. Hope more females join the team..

But I was told that the entire team was male pale and stale by Ed so this must be fake news. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites