18 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Is there a specific weight of sail they have to adjust for? 

Must be quite a difference between carrying the #1 main + J1 + CZ,   versus   #3 main + a handkerchief jib?

10.5 If one of the components listed below has a mass less than the lower end of the range shown in Rule 10.1,
or is not on the yacht, ballast shall be added such that the sum of the component mass and the ballast
mass lies within the range. No additional tolerance shall apply. The ballast shall be attached to the top of
the deck at the following locations:
Component Ballast location
Jib At any point on LCP
Code Zero At any point on LCP
Crew’s carried equipment On LCP, 5.0 m forward of TRP
Guest racer and their carried equipment On LCP, 1.0 m forward of TRP

image.thumb.png.1ddd1817a64b890be1360aa3086360d1.png

image.thumb.png.5c06de0e2df5ece7378a93c5b55ddded.png

• Like 3
  • Replies 18.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3. To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right

Yes, quite light but I didn't see all the afternoon's sailing, can only comment on later in the day, when Britannia 2 was running a #1 jib and foiling around no problem. They look quite quick at times

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, jaysper said:

But....seems like a VERY expensive insurance policy, because if its not needed it just sits their with its arse hanging out causing all kinds of drag even when furled.

This is exactly what Ashby said in an interview a month or so ago as to why they would never use one.  The risk is too high.

15 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Yeah,  looks like it might have been.

If so, then perhaps an insurance policy against the wind dropping below limits during a race.

But....seems like a VERY expensive insurance policy, because if its not needed it just sits their with its arse hanging out causing all kinds of drag even when furled.

I for one am hoping like hell they use it so we can get some understanding of WHY.

My guess is they are as bored as we are and someone on the boat said "Hey, how about trying the CZ?"

4 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

This is exactly what Ashby said in an interview a month or so ago as to why they would never use one.  The risk is too high.

Nevertheless, the fact that NZ have been playing with the CZ suggests it's not completely off the boat.

8 minutes ago, mauriciogfj said:

My guess is they are as bored as we are and someone on the boat said "Hey, how about trying the CZ?"

LOL! Given all that is at stake, there will be absolutely NOTHING done for shits and giggles!

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Nevertheless, the fact that NZ have been playing with the CZ suggests it's not completely off the boat.

True.  My take on the whole thing is that it was always in their program to test the CZ & batwing at this stage if they were happy with boat speed and handling etc  - so I think it actually says more about how comfortable they are with where they are at.  If they weren't  they wouldn't be messing around with shit like this.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

True.  My take on the whole thing is that it was always in their program to test the CZ & batwing at this stage if they were happy with boat speed and handling etc  - so I think it actually says more about how comfortable they are with where they are at.  If they weren't  they wouldn't be messing around with shit like this.

Yeah agreed mate, surely looks like they are following a testing /development programme of which both the bat wing and CZ are part of, moving on from each item when they have evaluated it, so ticking the box

Just now, Forourselves said:

Maybe they have the ability to switch between dual and single helmsman set up?

Yeah reckon so, there's no way they would ignore that as an option, we've seen the odd video that has shown little or no movement with some manoeuvres so it has to be there for them 

Since not much is happening, I thought I'd repost the build of B2 in case some people haven't seen it:

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Since not much is happening, I thought I'd repost the build of B2 in case some people haven't seen it:

Thanks Max and happy birthday!

36 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Thanks Max and a very happy birthday. Love the shirt and jealous that you can go to the pub for a worthy celebration.

59 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Still amazes me when you see the AC 75 casually foiling past the chase boat with 400hp..........wow

41 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Not for the first time I’m struck by the fact that every member of the team, on every video and interview I’ve seen, are kitted out in the ETNZ jersey and shorts. You generally only see that on the field of play so to speak but here it’s everywhere like a glue that binds them together. Impressive to say the least. Reminds me I need to get my hands on one of those jerseys. 

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Thanks Max and a very happy birthday. Love the shirt and jealous that you can go to the pub for a worthy celebration.

Thanks mate. I consider myself to be lucky that I live on a rural area, and not one of our major cities.  Used to live in Sydney, great harbour and beaches, but I hate the crowd crush. Where I am, we had one 6-week lockdown way back in the early Covid days... that was all.

12 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Thanks mate. I consider myself to be lucky that I live on a rural area, and not one of our major cities.  Used to live in Sydney, great harbour and beaches, but I hate the crowd crush. Where I am, we had one 6-week lockdown way back in the early Covid days... that was all.

Good man. Now go off and enjoy a few well deserved beers. 

15 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

"Got more pressure, quick, get the CZ down onto the deck."

"Ready boys?  OK,   1, 2, 3..."

[splash]

"OOPS"

:D

Pistol Peet unholsterz hiz Very pistol

Reddy, ame, fiyer!

• Like 2
1 minute ago, snaerk said:

Pistol Peet unholsterz hiz Very pistol

Reddy, ame, fiyer!

I think he's also going to use it 10 secs before a race start to confuse the Pitbull on LR.

12 minutes ago, zenmasterfred said:

It's all an optical illusion, a pigment of the viewers imagination.  See whatever you want to, it's all about the angles and perspective.  

No way, that's what happens when your boat can do 75 knots upwind in reverse.

17 minutes ago, zenmasterfred said:

It's all an optical illusion, a pigment of the viewers imagination.  

Pigment of imagination refers to an opinion that is so brilliant, a pig could have come up with it. As you know, pigs are highly intelligent, so to have one’s imagination compared to that of a pig is quite the compliment.

Another, similar, term is, ‘figment of imagination,’ which is diametrically opposed to ‘pigment of imagination’ as figs aren’t very imaginative

• Like 6
6 hours ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

I remember hearing an interview with GA around Xmas time I think & he was clear that a CZ wasn't really an option - would only be useful for a race where the wind started just above the wind range  but then dropped.  He said the risk was that the wind picked up and if it did the boat with a CZ would be at a severe drag disadvantage.  So [these are my words] to use it you would have to be 100% confident that the wind would drop after the start of the race.  If your boat had a CZ option and the other boat didn't, even if you 'expected' the wind to drop after the start of the race, it would be a gutsy call to use it.

I can just smiling as he sad it "Tell LR we wont be using the CZ" like they told us they wont be using it (Blind man's Bluff?)

The hand bags are quick - take nothing away from those guys, probably in "technical terms" the most shit they have ever got together in 1 sock - underestimate them at your peril........ Having spent the "covid delay" looking at tape of LR & the Kiwi's, no denying either LR has got damned quick up wind, has an amazing "High" mode and is maneuverable..... 

ETNZ I think has the goods to surprise LR.... Points higher, killer "speed" mode upwind or down wind (reading too much into glimpses of true capability?)

1st race will set the tone, IF (A very big if) TR can compete in the start, stay clean LR will be getting a rude awakening......

Here endeth the sermon taken from the 2nd bottle of the 4th crate of rum!.......

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

We are in for a gr8 Match?

Bring it on - couch ready!

yeah... I have a feeling the Match will be what the Prada Cup final was expected to be!

8 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Given the design of the crew pods it’s staggering to think people are still wondering if they will use the two helm approach. 

short of putting an aero canopy over it to seal them inside you would be hard pushed To come up with a design less suited to swapping sides

61 knots after a bareaway in 18 knots TWS.

On the same day, 56 knots in 17 knots TWS during a deep reach. This speed was averaged over a run of 2.6 NM. 

Good luck Red Moon. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, 45Roller said:

A short pov video on board TR

Interesting to see that they've added some sort of cockpit padding next to shoulders of grinders and also Tuke up front.

The Gs must be decent when they chuck Te Rehutai into a tack

image.thumb.png.7051c6fb0934b1706dafaf0bb66f1f3e.png

The guys who need to jump out of that deep cockpit probably had to join a Crossfit gym...

Here's Blair Tuke using a neat handle to jump out. Shame the cockpit is so dark - can't see any good views of the foil control gobbins:

image.png.1ee4815cec777757c2ae183adddb204d.png

Still no luck finding a good pic:

image.png.405edd68eed1cfe8bff3c48d292d633d.png

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

On the same day, 56 knots in 17 knots TWS during a deep reach. This speed was averaged over a run of 2.6 NM. 

Good luck Red Moon. 

Wow

11 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

Good luck Red Moon. 

Easy boys. Save it for the big day. A stray orca or LR spy boat fleeing for its life, could finish us. 

20 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

Good luck Red Moon. 

Where’s that from? 

7 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:
30 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

Good luck Red Moon. 

Where’s that from? 

Exactly. ;)

Seems people are a bit confused about foil designs and cavitation limits. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, mad said:

Exactly. ;)

Others are a bit confused about the nature of those limits.  This is not the speed of light - the limits are those of current designs, not physical laws 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, mad said:

Exactly. ;)

I am not doubting that it’s been done just wondering who or how they were doing the measuring. 

1 minute ago, JALhazmat said:

I am not doubting that it’s been done just wondering who or how they were doing the measuring. 

60.3 from someone non-cup related with the means to measure and unexpected opportunity.

3 minutes ago, Regular Swimmer said:

Others are a bit confused about the nature of those limits.  This is not the speed of light - the limits are those of current designs, not physical laws 

The speed of light is not a constant, it varies by medium and can be slowed down and sped up by changing said medium and other such trickery. Which actually turns out to be a good analogy here, there are laws of physics (cavitation) governing the speed at which they can sail at, to go faster would require trickery, such as super cavitating foils to work around around that physical law and more importantly develop foils which can transition from one to the other. The world speed record is 65 knots and the holder, Paul Larsen, spoke about it on Bar Karate (I think) and how its only possible to go faster if we work out that transition tech, if ETNZ have nailed that? Well then. They should be able to get more than just the cup ;) 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Nutta said:

60.3 from someone non-cup related with the means to measure and unexpected opportunity.

Unexpected opportunity of 2.6 nautical miles? 

that will be a new Nautical mile record then too if they averaged 56 over 2.6 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

If those speeds are close to real, it's already game over, and I begin now congratulating ETNZ.

9 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Not the report referred to above, but a recent measurement nonetheless...

7 minutes ago, strider470 said:

If those speeds are close to real, it's already game over, and I begin now congratulating ETNZ.

Sadly the conditions for straight line speed are not likely to prevail throughout a race... And LR look quick.

3 minutes ago, Nutta said:

Sadly the conditions for straight line speed are not likely to prevail throughout a race... And LR look quick.

LR looked quick also in 2000 but they were then smoked in the AC by TNZ.

I'm happy because I see a team that is giving their 100%, I like the boat very much, I like the crew on and off the water, and I think we are worthy opponents of ETNZ.

And I'm sure, should LR win the Cup, it will be in good hands, as it has been in New Zealand.

Whatever will be, will be.

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, strider470 said:

LR looked quick also in 2000 but they were then smoked in the AC by TNZ.

I'm happy because I see a team that is giving their 100%, I like the boat very much, I like the crew on and off the water, and I think we are worthy opponents of ETNZ.

And I'm sure, should LR win the Cup, it will be in good hands, as it has been in New Zealand.

Whatever will be, will be.

They've managed to mitigate the worst excesses of Jimmy's cuntiness, so for that they should get a Cup. Not "the Cup" mind. But a cup, and a couple of girls maybe.

6 hours ago, Salty Seacock said:

Good luck Red Moon. 

Looks like I've missed something...

Where was this reported?  Who measured these speeds?  How were they measured?

7 minutes ago, Xlot said:

What next, locusts?

Could be mate, they're currently in Kenya, but with some really severe weather they could make it to New Zealand... 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Looks like I've missed something...

Where was this reported?  Twitter. Who measured these speeds? Twitter. How were they measured? You ask too many questions

Speaking about Grant Dalton trying to shop the venue for next AC...

Will he also change the team name into "Emigrates Team New Zealand"?

And will be Auckland renamed into the "City of Sales"?

;) ;)  It's only a joke, don't kill me :D :D

Emigrates.thumb.jpg.c6e8af65dc70a5c4aabde23d088d9dd8.jpg

• Like 5
5 hours ago, strider470 said:

C'mon @strider470, methinks you are sandbagging now, giving in to easily!
If not, search deep for the Winston inside you.
"Non ci arrenderemo mai"

Just now, mauriciogfj said:

"Non ci arrenderemo mai"

ssshhhh ;)

On 3/4/2021 at 5:28 PM, mauriciogfj said:

"Non ci arrenderemo mai"

On 3/4/2021 at 5:29 PM, strider470 said:

ssshhhh ;)

See if you can find “scaramanzia” in G-tran, o Mauricio

• Like 1
On 3/5/2021 at 5:21 AM, strider470 said:

Speaking about Grant Dalton trying to shop the venue for next AC...

Will he also change the team name into "Emigrates Team New Zealand"?

And will be Auckland renamed into the "City of Sales"?

;) ;)  It's only a joke, don't kill me :D :D

Emigrates.thumb.jpg.c6e8af65dc70a5c4aabde23d088d9dd8.jpg

Perfect! The logo and the whole nine yards! :lol:

Fuck! Fuckity fuck fuck fuck!

Not annoyed, just trying to catch up on all the swearing that I have stored up over the last 24 hours.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Not annoyed, just trying to catch up on all the swearing that I have stored up over the last 24 hours.

I need to add one too, this thread is so fucked now :lol:

3 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

New from Mozzy

It costed me 50 pounds to Mozzy. After his video explaining how Ineos should have beaten LR... worked so well! And to be safe I asked a two parts video! :D

16 minutes ago, strider470 said:

It costed me 50 pounds to Mozzy. After his video explaining how Ineos should have beaten LR... worked so well! And to be safe I asked a two parts video! :D

Nice to see Mozzy and the crew back, and Thomas de tank who brings much needed gravitas. 

1 hour ago, jaysper said:

Rumour has it SA hiccup was Grant Dalton´s fault. Not satisfied in revoking NZHerald media credentials, he decided to go after the paper's main source.

• Like 9
2 minutes ago, mauriciogfj said:

Rumour has it SA hiccup was Grant Dalton´s fault. Not satisfied in revoking NZHerald media credentials, he decided to go after the paper's main source.

I heard they connected the Kiwi BOT at SA AC :D

• Like 1
Just now, Flags said:

The forcast period is still a bit messy

Yes, I’m sure it is but the funny thing is that every time I’ve asked Bill, he’s managed to be pretty good at the predictions. Now I hope I’m not messing it up :huh: