Just now, jaysper said:

Honestly, if in the position as defender I would simply reject any challenge from Alinghi.

Ernie made Lazza look like a fucking saint.

Ernie was the last choice left on the table, and way better than a shit DoG challenge maybe from Larry. And Bertelli is not a man that can be fooled.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3. To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right

They towed out around 11am and the breeze was light and puffy to start with. Foiled down the Channel and headed out to the Bays. The breeze started to build around midday and they got some long runs i

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

^ Actually I think LR will do better not being COR and with a more Jimmy attitude?

CoR has never won the event thus far. Not once. Some think it is a poisoned chalice!

7 minutes ago, IPLore said:

AC remains a sport dominated by

AFAIK St Francis YC has never been involved in the AC.

Oracle's challenge was from GGYC which is small club that rec'd significant donations from Larry E.  From the outset, it was clearly a club of convenience to meet the DoG with Oracle running the defense. GGYC were happy to oblige.

RNZYS is a much more credible and honored institution. Yes they delegate AC to ACE but I do not think anything unethical would be tolerated.

Ah yes sorry, wrong club but the point remains the same.

2 minutes ago, IPLore said:

CoR has never won the event thus far. Not once. Some think it is a poisoned chalice!

Don't tell Ben!

7 minutes ago, IPLore said:

Well, that trend will continue cos Etnz will not be defeated and will probably not lose a single race.

2 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Well, that trend will continue cos Etnz will not be defeated and will probably not lose a single race.

Ahahahaah Jays, you know what is going to happen if things don't go that way. I'll fly to NZ to personally bring you a Prada t-shirt

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Ahahahaah Jays, you know what is going to happen if things don't go that way. I'll fly to NZ to personally bring you a Prada t-shirt

Mate, I will give you a world tour of the cafes in Wellington. 

We have to have at least 150 or 200 and only one of them is Vomitbucks.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, IPLore said:

AC remains a sport dominated by

AFAIK St Francis YC has never been involved in the AC.

Oracle's challenge was from GGYC which is small club that rec'd significant donations from Larry E.  From the outset, it was clearly a club of convenience to meet the DoG with Oracle running the defense. GGYC were happy to oblige.

RNZYS is a much more credible and honored institution. Yes they delegate AC to ACE but I do not think anything unethical would be tolerated.

He probably meant GGYC.

51 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

You think this, why? 

GD seems to spend much of his life in Europe and especially in London, according to some of the documents that were disclosed recently. His reason for clinging onto being the CEO of ACE (at the same time as being CEO of ETNZ... conflict of interest?) suggests too that he like many others is into it for the money.. He likely gets a big chunk of commission out of selling sponsorships to the likes of Emirates and, now potentially, host venue bidders like Dubai. 

But he does need a viable team, agreed with that part. 

You think this, why?

You imply that thanks to some type of 'disclosure' we've discovered some secret that GD spends time in Europe - it's no secret mate... GD's movements are his own fucking business, but they certainly aren't hidden. He's a global player, and enjoys riding his bike in the Isle of Man, or smashing piss in Cowes - good on him.

I'm not sure you've been paying attention, but GD is a control freak, not a money freak. The reason why he wanted to run ETNZ and ACE is for control. You still don't seem to understand that acrueing numbers in a bank account is regarded as a fools errand by many when there are far more interesting, challenging, and rewarding endeavours to be had - GD is in this camp.

You think he's in it for fucking commission? Jesus wept... 

I did think it was somewhat ironic that part of the rules of entry for AC36 were that the challenging club had to be evenly funded by the members as a clear block to GGYC when Michael Fay's Mercury Bay Big Boat Challenge was no less a 'burgee of convenience.' 

13 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

........... control. You still don't seem to understand that accruing numbers in a bank account is regarded as a fools errand by many when there are far more interesting, challenging, and rewarding endeavours to be had - GD is in this camp.

They don't understand, money is their God, one-eyed followers can not understand this camp.

If you worship money most likely you don't live in NZ because you can earn much bigger bucks elsewhere?

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

Get real! :D 

It’s impossible to know really what he’s like but I personally don’t think he is money hungry either. The fact he hung in pre-2017 when it pretty much fell apart for ETNZ is a testament to that. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jaysper said:

Ernie made Lazza look like a fucking saint.

You’re kidding, right? After EB refused to agree a fair-enough Protocol, LE took EB to the mat, hard! And then he put on an AC in SF fair enough that ETNZ damn nearly won it. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

You’re kidding, right? After EB refused to agree a fair-enough Protocol, LE took EB to the mat, hard! And then he put on an AC in SF fair enough that ETNZ damn nearly won it. 

And???

You don't think Ernie was a cunt?

Or you are suggesting Lazza is a saint for real?

I'm confused cos what I wrote was derogatory of Ernie not Lazza.

I believe Dalton takes over $3m a year for his role, so it's a little disingenuous to say money isn't a factor as it's a great cash-cow if you can get part of it.

EDIT: also hearing rumors this may be GD's last cycle as CEO, with Shoebridge lined to take over and Dalton stepping into more of an Exec Chairman role (still on decent pay though I'm sure :D)

6 minutes ago, NSP said:

I believe Dalton takes over $3m a year for his role, so it's a little disingenuous to say money isn't a factor as it's a great cash-cow if you can get part of it.

EDIT: also hearing rumors this may be GD's last cycle as CEO, with Shoebridge lined to take over and Dalton stepping into more of an Exec Chairman role (still on decent pay though I'm sure :D)

Yes, the number I've heard is $3 million per year and money is clearly a factor.

But let's be real. Nobody is going to offer GD $20 million and at his stage in life would the extra money really be that important to him?

I'm sure he can scrape by on $3 million per year.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, NSP said:

Agree, there is zero chance anyone will offer him that.  And if they do, I'm available for a cheap $1m a year

Can I be your second? ;)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, strider470 said:

Can I be your second? ;)

Sure, but for optics I'll only be able to pay you $900k.  I'm sure you'll understand.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, NSP said:

Agree, there is zero chance anyone will offer him that.  And if they do, I'm available for a cheap $1m a year

I think Wussell got paid close to that, but I can't see GD getting that cos he seems to lack the political nous Wussell has.

6 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I think Wussell got paid close to that, but I can't see GD getting that cos he seems to lack the political nous Wussell has.

Wussell got way more than that, and Buttermilk and Jimmy when he was with Oracle. And then there were significant performance bonuses. 

5 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Wussell got way more than that, and Buttermilk and Jimmy. 

I thought the figure was USD$15 Million for Wussell, but either way can you imagine anyone paying GD that?

He seems like a very loyal and great friend to have, but is far too abrasive towards everyone else.

Wussell is a total cunt for sure, but doesn't seem to have that problem.

• Like 1
Just now, jaysper said:

I thought the figure was USD$15 Million for Wussell, but either way can you imagine anyone paying GD that?

He seems like a very loyal and great friend to have, but is far too abrasive towards everyone else.

Wussell is a total cunt for sure, but doesn't seem to have that problem.

Nobody is going to pay anything like that to anyone. That’s the result of Billionaire egos and being in the right place at the right time with the right resume. And Coutts delivered. 

GD is irascible, tetchy and undervalued in his own mind. But he is a world class warrior, bleeds Kiwi and harnesses hurt better than most. I don’t think anybody could have delivered what he did after the heartache and financial ruin of SFO. 

Coutts is a weasel and plays the game much better. 

1 hour ago, rh3000 said:

You think this, why?

You imply that thanks to some type of 'disclosure' we've discovered some secret that GD spends time in Europe - it's no secret mate... GD's movements are his own fucking business, but they certainly aren't hidden. He's a global player, and enjoys riding his bike in the Isle of Man, or smashing piss in Cowes - good on him.

I'm not sure you've been paying attention, but GD is a control freak, not a money freak. The reason why he wanted to run ETNZ and ACE is for control. You still don't seem to understand that acrueing numbers in a bank account is regarded as a fools errand by many when there are far more interesting, challenging, and rewarding endeavours to be had - GD is in this camp.

You think he's in it for fucking commission? Jesus wept... 

You have to be paid shit loads of money for that, which makes SR argument right.

1 minute ago, Tornado-Cat said:

You have to be paid shit loads of money for that, which makes SR argument right.

Well let’s see ..... free first class travel with Emirates, never late with Omega, shuttled around in a Toyota, as much as he can eat with McDonalds, management assistance and an office anywhere with McKinsey ..... maybe he doesn’t need to spend shit loads of money for that :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Nobody is going to pay anything like that to anyone. That’s the result of Billionaire egos and being in the right place at the right time with the right resume. And Coutts delivered. 

GD is irascible, tetchy and undervalued in his own mind. But he is a world class warrior, bleeds Kiwi and harnesses hurt better than most. I don’t think anybody could have delivered what he did after the heartache and financial ruin of SFO. 

Coutts is a weasel and plays the game much better. 

Spot on.

I think GD is probably a better leader than Blake was and more tenacious too.

Without him Etnz would have folded long ago.

But he can't stop himself sometimes and it's not a great look.

6 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

You have to be paid shit loads of value (not necessarily money) A ride in MotorGP might be a winner for GD?

2 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

You have to be paid shit loads of value (not necessarily money) A ride in MotorGP might be a winner for GD?

Perhaps. Some of his crew are already in, whether they defend or challenge.

Just now, jaysper said:

It’s a deficiency he cannot overcome because he cannot forget. And that’s human. It’s not a great look and does him an enormous disservice. But the deficiencies drive him like a demon. That’s why he’s such a ferocious competitor and loyal leader. Everyone at the team are like his children, mess with them and he will kill you. I like that. 

A big problem for GD, in my guestimation, is that Emirates is like most airlines bleeding $Billions during the pandemic. And Matteo di Nora is not as fat a cat as to be willing to make up the shortfall. 

The HVA guarantees (right?) that ETNZ can keep their newly-repurposed on public funds, Crystal Palace if they win. That must be a cost-factor in favor of staying in AKL... unless someone dangles a rent free facilities and maybe rent-free accomodations too, elsewhere. Venues like Dubai may also have income tax advantages for the likes of GD. 

US NFL teams are pretty ruthless about moving to where the money is, the Oakland Raiders to Las Vegas being a recent example. The money guys (like GD) put a much higher priority on profits than on (city) nationality. It’s  just the brutal fact of commercial sports, which is GD’s and so therefore ETNZ’s model. 

If GD really wanted to attract more teams (why would he, but anyway..) then he’d be on the phone to the likes of TT and EB and whoever-else, not f’ing Dubai.. 

42 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

One seriously talented lady. 

I'm "like-less", so +++.

7 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

I big problem for GD, in my guestimation, is that Emirates is like most airlines bleeding $Billions during the pandemic. And Matteo di Nora is not as fat a cat as to be willing to make up the shortfall. 

The HVA guarantees (right?) that ETNZ can keep their newly-repurposed on public funds, Crystal Palace if they win. That must be a cost-factor in favor of staying in AKL... unless someone dangles a rent free facilities m, and maybe rent-free accomodations too, elsewhere. Venues like Dubai may also have income tax advantages for the likes of GD. 

Emirates lost almost 4 Billion in the first 6 months of 2020. Prior 30 years very profitable. State owned and funded so no immediate panic. And they’re starting to ramp up flights again but further losses to follow. So maybe they’ll look at their sponsorships but this is small money for them. 

I suspect that there’s a bigger, more long term commercial plan in the works that will make sponsorship secondary. 

10 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

I big problem for GD, in my guestimation, is that Emirates is like most airlines bleeding $Billions during the pandemic. And Matteo di Nora is not as fat a cat as to be willing to make up the shortfall.

I believe there's a reason why Gabe Newell came on with a "watch this space".  The Emirates execs describe ETNZ as one of their best sponsorship investments, but they will surely be forced to seriously consider whether they continue under-writing big check campaigns.

5 minutes ago, NSP said:

I believe there's a reason why Gabe Newell came on with a "watch this space".  The Emirates execs describe ETNZ as one of their best sponsorship investments, but they will surely be forced to seriously consider whether they continue under-writing big check campaigns.

I doubt that they consider it "big cheque".

I have no idea how much they pay, but would imagine it's about $40 million which split over 3 or 4 years is relatively fuck all.

1 minute ago, NSP said:

McKinsey involvement is a potential serious game changer. Billionaires tire and get distracted. Gable has talked about moving his entire operation to NZ. That suggests a level of commitment that’s both long term and strategic. 

1 minute ago, jaysper said:

I have no idea how much they pay, but would imagine it's about $40 million which split over 3 or 4 years is relatively fuck all.

The price of a few tyres for the A380’s

7 minutes ago, jaysper said:

So then who funded the other $100M, Matteo? It’s possible, I suppose, but since GD is now venue-bidding well then perhaps that is by Matteo’s command - he is rumored to be the majority-owner of the ETNZ ‘franchise’ and, due to whatever-all circumstances in this cycle, may have taken a serious bath instead of somehow profiting.

‘The Rich are getting Richer’ has been true during this past year, the number of billionaires has multiplied (over 500 in the US now) and several dozen extremely rich $B’s are at over $50B. That is the market the AC competition should be advertised to.

6 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Shit! We Italians are funding AC campaigns all over the world. De Nora, Bertarelli...

Thanks, we appreciate it :lol:

23 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Double shit. Even Bertelli contributed to the Kiwi cause. :D

Yeah, he just sent me a cheque to extend my house.

9 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

So then who funded the other $100M, Matteo? It’s possible, I suppose, but since GD is now venue-bidding well then perhaps that is by Matteo’s command - he is rumored to be the majority-owner of the ETNZ ‘franchise’ and, due to whatever-all circumstances in this cycle, may have taken a serious bath instead of somehow profiting.

‘The Rich are getting Richer’ has been true during this past year, the number of billionaires has multiplied (over 500 in the US now) and several dozen extremely rich $B’s are at over $50B. That is the market the AC competition should be advertised to.

Billionaire's involvement it the AC is not a new thing. The original syndicate of 6 who funded the schooner America at the behest of Commodore John Cox Stevens were hardly paupers and that was for a one off challenge not for an event that would grow into the oldest sporting trophy in the world. Then the defenders like Morgan, Vanderbuilt, Turner, Koch etc and challengers like Dunraven, Sopwith, Lipston, Bich, Packer, Bond were not exactly down to their last few million and several of them used The Cup to promote their own businesses, notably Lipton's grocery business in the US and Bond's real estate in Yanchep City. When GBR entered White Crusader a few Cups back the backers were 'relatively' poor as their wealth only started with an "M" not a "B".

The Cup has always been a big boys game and is the 'market' that the AC has always appealed to. ETNZ is not a typically funded team relying on commercial (and government)  sponsorship far more than most of past teams in The Cup.

On the subject of  GD's salary. If rumours are true, it is a shed load of money but compared to the reported past benefits to the New Zealand economy measuring in the billions of $NZ in some cycles then it is all relative especially when compared to other CEO's compensation providing real returns to their stakeholders. It is only really highlighted because, due to COVID, Superyacht Regatta attendees were reduced, the Youth America's Cup was cancelled and most importantly, what would have been the expected influx of tourist VVIPs hasn't been able to happen so naturally the returns to the NZL economy just haven't happened and the expected ROI to many in NZL has been dramatically reduced.

Had COVID not happened NZL would be full and the money would be piling in and, just like in other cycles, The Cup and ETNZ would be considered bloody good value.

Bloody hell, the Auckland waterfront, particularly round Victoria Harbour, is still enjoying the benefits of the redevelopment surrounding the first Cup defence all those years ago.

Just sayin'

SS

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Billionaire's involvement it the AC is not a new thing. 

For sure. And it adds to my suggestion that perhaps the ETNZ funding model that GD is in charge of is maybe the wrong one. 

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

For sure. And it adds to my suggestion that perhaps the ETNZ funding model that GD is in charge of is maybe the wrong one. 

I would say it is different but in the absence of an NZL billionaire stepping up, is there any alternative?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Honestly.......we could only get this Machiavellian with an Italian challenge.

Here is what will really happen if ETNZ wins its defense.

RYS will challenge.  RNZYS will defend.  Dalts will organize defense. In order to make the defense financially viable for small country like NZ the event will become much more international attracting international sponsorship.  It could include any number of variations with ACWS circuit. Even a challenger series hosted outside NZ but whatever the format, it will be RYS challenge and RNZYS defense.   

I hope the ACWS events include fleet races. 

2 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

I hope the ACWS events include fleet races. 

Now that would be interesting - ha ha! Imaging 5 or 6 AC75s whizzing about on a short course. SailGP eat your heart out

Just now, shanghaisailor said:

Now that would be interesting - ha ha! Imaging 5 or 6 AC75s whizzing about on a short course. SailGP eat your heart out

Yeah. I was thinking about the top mark bear aways too, SS. Woohoo. It'd be all on. ;-)

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Their own campaign deserves to win now !

Only campaign that deserves to win is the one which wins most races :-) And by the rules

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Billionaire's involvement it the AC is not a new thing. The original syndicate of 6 who funded the schooner America at the behest of Commodore John Cox Stevens were hardly paupers and that was for a one off challenge not for an event that would grow into the oldest sporting trophy in the world. Then the defenders like Morgan, Vanderbuilt, Turner, Koch etc and challengers like Dunraven, Sopwith, Lipston, Bich, Packer, Bond were not exactly down to their last few million and several of them used The Cup to promote their own businesses, notably Lipton's grocery business in the US and Bond's real estate in Yanchep City. When GBR entered White Crusader a few Cups back the backers were 'relatively' poor as their wealth only started with an "M" not a "B".

The Cup has always been a big boys game and is the 'market' that the AC has always appealed to. ETNZ is not a typically funded team relying on commercial (and government)  sponsorship far more than most of past teams in The Cup.

On the subject of  GD's salary. If rumours are true, it is a shed load of money but compared to the reported past benefits to the New Zealand economy measuring in the billions of $NZ in some cycles then it is all relative especially when compared to other CEO's compensation providing real returns to their stakeholders. It is only really highlighted because, due to COVID, Superyacht Regatta attendees were reduced, the Youth America's Cup was cancelled and most importantly, what would have been the expected influx of tourist VVIPs hasn't been able to happen so naturally the returns to the NZL economy just haven't happened and the expected ROI to many in NZL has been dramatically reduced.

Had COVID not happened NZL would be full and the money would be piling in and, just like in other cycles, The Cup and ETNZ would be considered bloody good value.

Bloody hell, the Auckland waterfront, particularly round Victoria Harbour, is still enjoying the benefits of the redevelopment surrounding the first Cup defence all those years ago.

Just sayin'

SS

Viaduct Harbour ?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Viaduct Harbour ?

Of course you are right Sailbydate - been talking to too many people at the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club recently. Partly brain freeze, partly typing just looking at keyboard and partly auto-correct.

There's three poor excuses for you but you know what I meant. :wub:

Thanks for the correction

• Like 1

Totally agree it needs a bigger track and the course layout of the Burmuda series was good.

The F1 works because there are many venues and lots of individually great races maybe one boat type this one will do, with a few cleanups and a series with its own competition and then a cup competition.

The deed will make this hard as big boys will find it hard to leave it as a stable boat but shifting cup venue worked around a series built around teams home venues. 

It would allow a 2 or 3-year cup rotation. 

2 hours ago, jaysper said:

Spot on.

I think GD is probably a better leader than Blake was and more tenacious too.

Without him Etnz would have folded long ago.

Finding money and hiring the best talent are his best management assets.

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

A big problem for GD, in my guestimation, is that Emirates is like most airlines bleeding $Billions during the pandemic. And Matteo di Nora is not as fat a cat as to be willing to make up the shortfall. 

The HVA guarantees (right?) that ETNZ can keep their newly-repurposed on public funds, Crystal Palace if they win. That must be a cost-factor in favor of staying in AKL... unless someone dangles a rent free facilities and maybe rent-free accomodations too, elsewhere. Venues like Dubai may also have income tax advantages for the likes of GD. 

US NFL teams are pretty ruthless about moving to where the money is, the Oakland Raiders to Las Vegas being a recent example. The money guys (like GD) put a much higher priority on profits than on (city) nationality. It’s  just the brutal fact of commercial sports, which is GD’s and so therefore ETNZ’s model. 

If GD really wanted to attract more teams (why would he, but anyway..) then he’d be on the phone to the likes of TT and EB and whoever-else, not f’ing Dubai.. 

I really think that Dalts is just rattling his can to make sure he’s funded properly in the next round. He will be in Auckland or Wellington if they successfully defend.  I think he doesn’t want a repeat of 2003 where EB bought a solution.  With rumour floating about EB return he needs funding straight after to keep Kiwi talent. Maybe the nationality rule needs to be hammered down harder. 

Also costs need to be kept down with a wage cap and one boat per syndicate. You should be able to run a successful campaign for 100 Million USD

2 hours ago, Paddywackery said:

Well let’s see ..... free first class travel with Emirates, never late with Omega, shuttled around in a Toyota, as much as he can eat with McDonalds, management assistance and an office anywhere with McKinsey ..... maybe he doesn’t need to spend shit loads of money for that :lol: 

You forgot the Steinlager, very important... Can't stand it myself, but free beer is not to be sniffed at.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Of course you are right Sailbydate - been talking to too many people at the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club recently. Partly brain freeze, partly typing just looking at keyboard and partly auto-correct.

There's three poor excuses for you but you know what I meant. :wub:

Thanks for the correction

Yeah, mate. I knew what you meant. And I feel like a bit of an arsehole now. Serves me right, eh? Ha, ha. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Ncik said:

Sir Peter was the master. A leader of men. GD us not even in the same ocean. But he's learnt a lot since the F&P and NZ Endeavour days. But I think he's the best we've got and I do admire him immensely. He's done great things for NZ. 

1 hour ago, Ncik said:

Aren't those two of the primary qualities of a good CEO?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

Yeah, mate. I knew what you meant. And I feel like a bit of an arsehole now. Serves me right, eh? Ha, ha. :unsure:

Not at an arsehole all Sailbydate. When I get it wrong I never mind being corrected. Isn't that how we learn? Pity there are many on the various threads that think differently. 

4 hours ago, Paddywackery said:

You make a very valid point Paddywackery Value in Kind (VIK) sponsorship can often make a significant part of a sponsorship budget

26 minutes ago, Jandals said:

Sir Peter was the master. A leader of men. GD us not even in the same ocean. But he's learnt a lot since the F&P and NZ Endeavour days. But I think he's the best we've got and I do admire him immensely. He's done great things for NZ. 

I think that is being manifestly unfair to GD.

It is no secret that I think he needs to learn to shut up.

But he has done something with ETNZ that I doubt Blake could and doubt even more he would have bothered.

He clearly engenders a great deal of respect and loyalty among his team.

• Like 6
19 minutes ago, jaysper said:

He clearly engenders a great deal of respect and loyalty among his team.

And his sponsors....... Guys like Matteo De Nora think very highly of GD, and have stuck with him through thick and thin....Ditto Emirates. Comparisons with Blake are pretty pointless - different personalities, but there's no doubt GD is very good at what he does - which is raise the money, and manage a big team. To come back from SF and win in Bermuda, was exceptional. You don't do that if you're a mug.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

And his sponsors....... Guys like Matteo De Nora think very highly of GD, and have stuck with him through thick and thin....Ditto Emirates. Comparisons with Blake are pretty pointless - different personalities, but there's no doubt GD is very good at what he does - which is raise the money, and manage a big team. To come back from SF and win in Bermuda, was exceptional. You don't do that if you're a mug.

Yep, hence my comment about his dig at GD being manifestly unfair.

If he'd said he wasn't a particularly great sailor, I think even GD would have agreed with that.

But what he said was the purest of total and utter bollocks.

• Like 2

The B behind TNZ is the NZ Govt & the collective NZ taxpayer.

GD needs to remember that.

His method of keeping that B sweet and the checkbook open for this cycle has been to repeatedly sling shit in the face of that B.

Its disgraceful disrespectful and unacceptable.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1
6 hours ago, jaysper said:

Yeah, he just sent me a cheque to extend my house.

Whether ETNZ wins or loses it, I'm pretty sure in the long run GD will regret throwing away 20 years of good relationships with Luna Rossa and Bertelli, and switching alliances with characters like Ratcliffe.

• Like 5
13 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Whether ETNZ wins or loses it, I'm pretty sure in the long run GD will regret throwing away 20 years of good relationships with Luna Rossa and Bertelli, and switching alliances with characters like Ratcliffe.

? Any specific reasons

15 minutes ago, strider470 said:

No he won't. LR burned that relationship, not the other way around. The NZ public knows that, and so does Dalton. As soon as LR enlisted Butterworth as their spokes person, and Sirena publicly said he "didn't care" about his conflict with Dalton and ETNZ, that was it. The relationship was over. Then came the arbitration case removing courses B & C effectively eliminating one of the best spectator viewing areas of the event, until they were reinstated, and it was a snowball effect, whether it was Challenger conflicts, or mutual consent conflicts with the Defender. They've burned their own bridges with ETNZ and GD as well as a good portion of the NZ public, not to mention the other Challenging teams. LR have gone all in this time. IMO this will be the last LR campaign if they lose. If they return as a Challenger, thats what they'll be, just another challenger with no rights as CoR, no power, and most importantly, no input into the next Class Rule.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, JALhazmat said:

? Any specific reasons

Here they are.

If Luna Rossa wins, ETNZ is not going to be COR.

If ETNZ wins it is very unlikely they will find in Ratcliffe some one as collaborative as Bertelli already showed to be towards the Kiwis in the last 20 years. Check the records.

5 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

No he won't. LR burned that relationship, not the other way around. The NZ public knows that, and so does Dalton. As soon as LR enlisted Butterworth as their spokes person, and Sirena publicly said he "didn't care" about his conflict with Dalton and ETNZ, that was it. The relationship was over. Then came the arbitration case removing courses B & C effectively eliminating one of the best spectator viewing areas of the event, until they were reinstated, and it was a snowball effect, whether it was Challenger conflicts, or mutual consent conflicts with the Defender. They've burned their own bridges with ETNZ and GD as well as a good portion of the NZ public, not to mention the other Challenging teams. LR have gone all in this time. IMO this will be the last LR campaign if they lose.

I call this a smelling pile of bullshit.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, strider470 said:

I call this a smelling pile of bullshit.

Typical Four fanboy tanty rant from the village idiot.

Lord Dalton has lived under the shadow of  Peter Blake for quite a large portion of his sailing career the win in Bermuda lifted some of the weight of that historical angst but he simply lacks the integrity honesty and class Peter had in spades.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 2

I wonder if Forourselves has watched Sunday documentry on TVNZ tonight detailing the kidnapping and imprisoment of the daughter of the chairman of Emirates Airlines. Sheikh Maktoum. A spat between LR and ETNZ  pales to insignificance compared to that.