Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Put that bow sprit in a museum? I don’t think so. 
 

Remember, that boat lost. KZ1 went on display due to novelty factor really. Otherwise we only display winning boats. 

Oh I think there's room for both a Gallery Of Glory, and perhaps down by the new compounds, the Walk Of What-Ifs? Might help spook the challengers :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 17.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3. To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right

Yes, quite light but I didn't see all the afternoon's sailing, can only comment on later in the day, when Britannia 2 was running a #1 jib and foiling around no problem. They look quite quick at times

They towed out around 11am and the breeze was light and puffy to start with. Foiled down the Channel and headed out to the Bays. The breeze started to build around midday and they got some long runs i

Posted Images

With such a glorious legacy of NZ in the Cup, you should have a dedicated museum or permanent exposition for your boats

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

No.  This is the leading (greatest circulation?) "news"paper in the country.  I guess if GD bans you from the media tent, you've got no incentive to get facts right any more?

Do they ever get their facts right. From my experience I would say not. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, strider470 said:

With such a glorious legacy of NZ in the Cup, you should have a dedicated museum or permanent exposition for your boats

Totally agree, but NZL32 is the only one that has a fitting place.

They basically took out a nail gun and nailed the winning AC50 to a wall.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Totally agree, but NZL32 is the only one that has a fitting place.

They basically took out a nail gun and nailed the winning AC50 to a wall.

I’m glad it’s out of the container and on display. It deserves a good home. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

32, 60 and Aotearoa should be the only boats displayed. If Te Rehutai wins, she should take her place among the winners too. The rest, while sentimentally relevant, are merely what ifs. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The last thing the team has money for is for old boats.

Most if not all, are unemployed, win or loose, in the not too distant future. At least for some period of time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Paddywackery said:

Well, you learn more by losing so maybe there’s a need to remember the brave who lost but paved the way. Yeah, I know, I’m a sentimental old fool ;)

Imagine the size of the British AC museum....

 

There is no second. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Newsroom's and long time America's Cup correspondent, Suzanne McFadden chats with Roger ‘Clouds’ Badham, Emirates Team New Zealand’s trusted weatherman now on his tenth and last Cup campaign

The weather guru who's helped Team NZ skippers call the shots for more than two decades hopes his final forecasts will be winners.

When Te Rehutai first glides into the America’s Cup start box on Wednesday, Clouds will be sitting on a hill somewhere overlooking the Hauraki Gulf, looking at, well, clouds.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/235773/Americas-Cup-Look-at-the-bloody-clouds

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stingray~ said:

Newsroom's and long time America's Cup correspondent, Suzanne McFadden chats with Roger ‘Clouds’ Badham, Emirates Team New Zealand’s trusted weatherman now on his tenth and last Cup campaign

The weather guru who's helped Team NZ skippers call the shots for more than two decades hopes his final forecasts will be winners.

When Te Rehutai first glides into the America’s Cup start box on Wednesday, Clouds will be sitting on a hill somewhere overlooking the Hauraki Gulf, looking at, well, clouds.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/235773/Americas-Cup-Look-at-the-bloody-clouds

Yeah this is an interesting article.  Newsroom.co.nz is one of the few news agencies here in nz that actually do some work themselves.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Dalton worst nightmare wouldn't be to win, how could he defend ? with an airline losing money ? with taxpayers money ? with Larry, Ernesto or Jim's money ?

I guess if the Cup was postponed a bit more the team would be broke. So his best chance is probably to be as a challenger in another country.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I wonder if Dalton worst nightmare wouldn't be to win, how could he defend ? with an airline losing money ? with taxpayers money ? with Larry, Ernesto or Jim's money ?

I guess if the Cup was postponed a bit more the team would be broke. So his best chance is probably to be as a challenger in another country.

He needs to kiss up to a real $B.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

He recently left from as CEO of Emirates, right? 

He announced he would leave in 2019 and, due to the Covid, postponed it, I don't know about his last status.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Funnily enough, while docking out this morning, GA was having a talk to Matteo about extra funding ....

P.S. Portrait photography is no fun in a pandemic.

DSC_6311.JPG

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rh3000 said:

I'd enjoy it... the other one more-so though...

In our list of losers I’d imagine KZ7 might still be remembered with some affection. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mako23 said:

In our list of losers I’d imagine KZ7 might still be remembered with some affection. 

Absolutely! The one that started it all....

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Our list of kiwi billionaires is very short

Understand that but why should it be a Kiwi $B? 
 

To my understanding, after the financial crisis confronting TNZ after 2003, when RC and BB met with EB they discussed EB funding TNZ. Due to local opposition from various Auckland locals who wanted to keep in financial control EB said ‘fine, let’s do a campaign through SNG instead.’

If GD is not the friendless ‘Lone Wolf’ that he is portrayed to be, perhaps he can latch onto a good one, rather than rattling the cup again for taxpayer money? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Understand that but why should it be a Kiwi $B? 
 

To my understanding, after the financial crisis confronting TNZ after 2003, when RC and BB met with EB they discussed EB funding TNZ. Due to local opposition from various Auckland locals who wanted to keep in financial control EB said ‘fine, let’s do a campaign through SNG instead.’

If GD is not the friendless ‘Lone Wolf’ that he is portrayed to be, perhaps he can latch onto a good one, rather than rattling the cup again for taxpayer money? 

Is 'To my understanding' your own version of 'One hears'?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks weta

are these the new streamlined pie warmers?

image.png.5455cfa95155062aeaef75efaa85bba3.png

also have the PVC pipes on the outsides of the sail bags with rope running through them. maybe protecting something before being put inside the sails

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Understand that but why should it be a Kiwi $B? 
 

To my understanding, after the financial crisis confronting TNZ after 2003, when RC and BB met with EB they discussed EB funding TNZ. Due to local opposition from various Auckland locals who wanted to keep in financial control EB said ‘fine, let’s do a campaign through SNG instead.’

If GD is not the friendless ‘Lone Wolf’ that he is portrayed to be, perhaps he can latch onto a good one, rather than rattling the cup again for taxpayer money? 

The problem with Billionaires is they like to control what happens with the money. There unlikely to give GD a lump sum and then let him decide how it’s spent.  Apart from EB billionaires are not really good at running cup campaigns. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, JJD said:

Is 'To my understanding' your own version of 'One hears'?

Nope! Go read that history for yourself, that discussion happened in New York. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, JJD said:

To my understanding, after the financial crisis confronting TNZ after 2003

oops, 2000 of course

edit: correcting my own post, not JJD’s

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Lickindip said:

thanks weta

are these the new streamlined pie warmers?

image.png.5455cfa95155062aeaef75efaa85bba3.png

also have the PVC pipes on the outsides of the sail bags with rope running through them. maybe protecting something before being put inside the sails

No idea sorry, does this help?

pipe1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I wonder if Dalton worst nightmare wouldn't be to win, how could he defend ? with an airline losing money ? with taxpayers money ? with Larry, Ernesto or Jim's money ?

I guess if the Cup was postponed a bit more the team would be broke. So his best chance is probably to be as a challenger in another country.

He has a billionaire lined up and supporting the team already. Gabriel Newell.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

Understand that but why should it be a Kiwi $B? 
 

To my understanding, after the financial crisis confronting TNZ after 2003, when RC and BB met with EB they discussed EB funding TNZ. Due to local opposition from various Auckland locals who wanted to keep in financial control EB said ‘fine, let’s do a campaign through SNG instead.’

If GD is not the friendless ‘Lone Wolf’ that he is portrayed to be, perhaps he can latch onto a good one, rather than rattling the cup again for taxpayer money? 

Do you hear we tax payers complaining, Stinger? I suggest you save your funding concerns for another American Challenge. ;-)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

Those are the lasers.

Shouldn't they be on the front end, as bow chasers? ;-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Shouldn't they be on the front end, as bow chasers? ;-)

Rear-facing, designed to severe a foil arm if LR get too close

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Shouldn't they be on the front end, as bow chasers? ;-)

Nah, they're exhaust ports to make the visuals match the smoking they will give LR.

@strider470, need you to come and trash talk me back ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

He has a billionaire lined up and supporting the team already. Gabriel Newell.

Billionaires won't pay to get GD but his designers, somebody like Guillaume, you know, the one that ETNZ deletes from from all their videos. The two most important pieces of the puzzle are Verdier and Ashby.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Billionaires won't pay to get GD but his designers, somebody like Guillaume, you know, the one that ETNZ deletes from from all their videos. The two most important pieces of the puzzle are Verdier and Ashby.

The most important piece of the puzzle, is the team itself. It always has been and always will be. So you can quit with your dumbass trolling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Do you hear we tax payers complaining, Stinger? I suggest you save your funding concerns for another American Challenge. ;-)

Not from you and the likes for sure, but from the left social democrats voting for Arden and the growing brain dead greens.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

The most important piece of the puzzle, is the team itself. It always has been and always will be. So you can quit with your dumbass trolling.

Ah ah, if you think billionnaires give a shit of your fantasies, they'll buy who they think have some value for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Not from you and the likes for sure, but from the left social democrats voting for Arden and the growing brain dead greens.

You can vote for Judy "Chucky" Collins but she got her ass whooped by a fucking country mile last election, and its going to be a repeat in 3 years time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Ah ah, if you think billionnaires give a shit of your fantasies, they'll buy who they think have some value for them.

Which is why Dalton already has one signed on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Not from you and the likes for sure, but from the left social democrats voting for Arden and the growing brain dead greens.

There is no "Democrat party" in NZ ya moron.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Spotted on Te Rehutai today - should we be worried?? :o

bucket.jpg

Fishing line as well.... Like to see the lure their using @ 35knots....:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lickindip said:

yips ... its a rope :P

can only assume its a protection sleeve until it's attached to the sail control mechanism. whatever that PVC is hiding must be fancy

its the sheeting points for the CZ yankee

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Spotted on Te Rehutai today - should we be worried?? :o

bucket.jpg

 

Don't worry, TNZ would have learned their lesson, this bucket is white, obviously an advanced and improved version of the blue bucket used on NZL82.

 

 

nzl82 bucket.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Labour is close to social democrats in some other countries, dumbass.

Not another socialist conspiracy theorist. I bet you call yourself a "critical thinker" like the rest of the conservative cultists too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, fish7yu said:

 

Don't worry, TNZ would have learned their lesson, this bucket is white, obviously an advanced and improved version of the blue bucket used on NZL82.

I just rewatched that race this morning, what a disaster!

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, fish7yu said:

They are working on their CZ kit left till the last day, GD said it would be windy, it's surprise surprise, not, so deploy the plan. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PJB said:

The last thing the team has money for is for old boats.

Most if not all, are unemployed, win or loose, in the not too distant future. At least for some period of time.

Yip all unemployed millionaires for a couple of months until the next campaign.

My heart bleeds

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Spotted on Te Rehutai today - should we be worried?? :o

bucket.jpg

Shit. That's even bigger than the blue one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2021 at 7:34 AM, Paddywackery said:

Back from your sabbatical Salty .... you missed all the fun when we were locked out of SA. Good to hear the wind sounds promising for the racing. It’s been a while. 

I heard there was an issue. Some of the regular posters would have been forced to interact with their wives. 

Tomorrow, we finally see what is what. To say I'm personally excited, nervous and optimistic all at the same time is fair. If the secret to a happy life is always having something to look forward to, then I am rich with these things right now. 

Gods speed boys, it's time to settle things on the water as sailors do. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Labour is close to social democrats in some other countries, dumbass.

Now you’re a New Zealand politics expert. 
 

Troll

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, **ONTOIT** said:

I just rewatched that race this morning, what a disaster!

I watched AC30 last night....much better memories.....The quality of the pictures was dire though.....analogue TV really did suck.......You take for granted the quality of the pictures today......

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately our richest person doesn't have the ego to need to fund a campaign.  

But anyway this time tomorrow we will know more, I have managed to shove work aside and will be lucky enought to be on the water tomorrow to see what unfolds. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jaysper said:

Nah, they're exhaust ports to make the visuals match the smoking they will give LR.

@strider470, need you to come and trash talk me back ;)

Sorry mate I was at a meeting with Morpheus. And by the way there was already enough trash in this discussion, what could I possibly add? :D :D

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

Sigh of relief. Well I think that answers nicely whether our foils are too small. 

Agreed that is millpond stuff!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, weta27 said:

Spotted on Te Rehutai today - should we be worried?? :o

bucket.jpg

That's the latest drogue design to slow down Te Rehutai at the finishing line..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fish7yu said:

 

As long as they remember that last time they raced and it was that light they got humped upwind by an opponent that simply pointed higher.  Fast and smooth though they are in the vid they are having to build speed into and out of the tacks in a way that Prada don’t. Foil area is going to be key and if you don’t have it you will get found out. 

if it’s that light then Prada are taking race wins much as it pains me to say it 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

As long as they remember that last time they raced and it was that light they got humped upwind by an opponent that simply pointed higher.  Fast and smooth though they are in the vid they are having to build speed into and out of the tacks in a way that Prada don’t. Foil area is going to be key and if you don’t have it you will get found out. 

if it’s that light then Prada are taking race wins much as it pains me to say it 

 

Nope. You are forgetting the extra 3m of sail right down low.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Nope. You are forgetting the extra 3m of sail right down low.

I don’t think ETNZ will suffer in the light at all . Videos shown them foiling in very light breeze and tacking and cubing at will if it’s displacement mode yeah agree 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Nope. You are forgetting the extra 3m of sail right down low.

If the bit underwater is 30% smaller (random banded about figure) you simply have less surface providing  lift. 
 

IF the extra sail area is 3m what’s that as a % over the entire sail plan? .02%?  Vs the extra foil area that’s apparently 30% larger on Prada. 
 

the foil size is going to be more beneficial than 3m of sail in crappy wind, certainly for a high slow mode. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

If the bit underwater is 30% smaller (random banded about figure) you simply have less surface providing  lift. 
 

IF the extra sail area is 3m what’s that as a % over the entire sail plan? .02%?  Vs the extra foil area that’s apparently 30% larger on Prada. 
 

the foil size is going to be more beneficial than 3m of sail in stubbly crappy wind, certainly for a high slow mode. 
 

All that lift comes with all that drag . Bring on the racing.     Over on day 4 kiwis 7/1  

my opinion only 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JALhazmat said:

If the bit underwater is 30% smaller (random banded about figure) you simply have less surface providing  lift. 
 

IF the extra sail area is 3m what’s that as a % over the entire sail plan? .02%?  Vs the extra foil area that’s apparently 30% larger on Prada. 
 

the foil size is going to be more beneficial than 3m of sail in crappy wind, certainly for a high slow mode. 
 

I am confident I am right, but we will see ;)

Winner gets to roast fuck out of the loser as per Anarchy traditions :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I am confident I am right, but we will see ;)

Winner gets to roast fuck out of the loser as per Anarchy traditions :lol:

 

Can't wait to know who is roasting who :D

Link to post
Share on other sites