Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, mauriciogfj said:

The kiwi fans seems aufully subdued today.
Whats is it? Concentration or aprehension?

Rah Rah, what do you want, a Haka or something?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3. To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right

Yes, quite light but I didn't see all the afternoon's sailing, can only comment on later in the day, when Britannia 2 was running a #1 jib and foiling around no problem. They look quite quick at times

After many hours of consideration, a lot of in-depth research on the SA technical threads, extensive computational modelling and a few quick & dirty minutes in Photoshop, I have produced this anal

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Indio said:

New Plymouth Boys Haka...

 

wow never seen that one before, amazing!  thanks for posting :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Thats more or less what Peter Burling openly told his countrymen yesterday.

Much to my surprise indeed.

I didn't watch. Do you remember his words?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

Agreed.

I mentioned a while back that if LR get a good start and manage to win the first cross, NZ could be in trouble if LR then control them in a tacking duel, nullifying any raw speed advantage NZ might have.

Plus we have no reliable info as to whether NZ can match LR's effective AWA ability, although I suspect they probably can.

A tactical tacking duel may be NZ's Achilles heel?

Sowndz plorzibel.

But if shifty, traling bote can eskayp, partly becoz derty air ploom iz mor kompakt in lyt wether?

Maybe thay can sumtymz foot owt sydwaze to eskayp, if not shifty? 

But maybe korss too narro if advantij iz smorl?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Righto.

I work with a colleague who turns out to be very talented and has crafted these.  He's doing a run of A3 prints.

If you'd like one, you can contact him via his Instagram page: Island and Field, or DM me for his personal e-mail address.

 

 

AC.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, snaerk said:

Sowndz plorzibel.

But if shifty, traling bote can eskayp, partly becoz derty air ploom iz mor kompakt in lyt wether?

Maybe thay can sumtymz foot owt sydwaze to eskayp, if not shifty? 

But maybe korss too narro if advantij iz smorl?

 Waddidy Say Harry Waddidy say ??

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, DayTripper said:

I didn't watch. Do you remember his words?

He asked for the country to support the team, and added that it might be the last time it would be in New Zealand. Maybe it was a bit tongue in cheek, hard to tell with Burling.

Can't find the interview anymore amongst all the crap that in all the different threads though.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Haka, do they ever take a knee to support something they strongly believe in?

 

No malice intended. Just curious about cultures foreign to me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, strider470 said:

I'm an attacker, I want to feel the smell of the fight. it can be sailing, darts, ping pong...

ping pong with darts? on a bote?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Varan said:

Haka, do they ever take a knee to support something they strongly believe in?

 

No malice intended. Just curious about cultures foreign to me.

Yes, however in this case to "Let me be with the land"

Hurricanes co-captain gives his support of Black Lives Matter movement |  RNZ News

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The takeaway for me was it looked like ETNZ may have a slight speed edge in those conditions but only slight and not enough to pass on that course. Anyone’s Cup. Will be interesting to see performance of the boats in lighter air. I suspect it might be the reverse. If so starts will be everything. Crazy...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

My old school (KC) against our old rivals......

White people should not do the haka.  They look silly.

They stole their land, raped their women, chopped down the forests then stole their ceremonies.

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

The takeaway for me was it looked like ETNZ may have a slight speed edge in those condition

They are quicker downwind anyway.

I'll predict 7:3 to NZ.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rantro said:

White people should not do the haka.  They look silly.

I'm brown, so is that okay? Back when I was there we had a different haka, something about being the boys from Mangere. Being on the sidelines with all the other boarders stamping your feet in unison was pretty cool though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, rantro said:

White people should not do the haka.  They look silly.

They stole their land, raped their women, chopped down the forests then stole their ceremonies.

Things have improved over the years...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, rantro said:

White people should not do the haka.  They look silly.

They stole their land, raped their women, chopped down the forests then stole their ceremonies.

Not as bad as you guys on the other side of the ditch. (wink)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, rantro said:

White people should not do the haka.  They look silly.

They stole their land, raped their women, chopped down the forests then stole their ceremonies.

Woah whoa whoa. I'm maori, my whakapapa (family tree/ genealogy) goes back to the Te Arawa waka.

I'm proud of my heritage and my culture, but I'm also accepting of other cultures, and people of other cultures. That sentence, to me, as a maori person, is INCREDIBLY OFFENSIVE.

"White people" absolutely should do the Haka. Its not about what they "look like", its about what it means to them in doing it. Richie McCaw is a white person, and he "looked" great doing the haka, why? Because it meant/ means the world to him. Jeff Wilson is a white person, and he also haka'd for the All Blacks, but also at Jonah Lomu's funeral. A haka is written for a specific purpose. Skin colour is irrelevant. If it means something to you, if you understand why you are performing a haka, BY ALL MEANS you should feel absolutely free to do it.

  • Like 21
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Woah whoa whoa. I'm maori, my whakapapa (family tree/ genealogy) goes back to the Te Arawa waka.

I'm proud of my heritage and my culture, but I'm also accepting of other cultures, and people of other cultures. That sentence, to me, as a maori person, is INCREDIBLY OFFENSIVE.

"White people" absolutely should do the Haka. Its not about what they "look like", its about what it means to them in doing it. Richie McCaw is a white person, and he "looked" great doing the haka, why? Because it meant/ means the world to him. Jeff Wilson is a white person, and he also haka'd for the All Blacks, but also at Jonah Lomu's funeral. A haka is written for a specific purpose. Skin colour is irrelevant. If it means something to you, if you understand why you are performing a haka, BY ALL MEANS you should feel absolutely free to do it.

Beautifu words @Forourselves

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Woah whoa whoa. I'm maori, my whakapapa (family tree/ genealogy) goes back to the Te Arawa waka.

I admire your coping strategy.

If I was Maori or Aboriginal, I would be fucking angry.  But I'm not, and still a bit angry.

Link to post
Share on other sites

wonder if Burling et al are a little sobered suddenly realizing this could go either way. that being said, I'd still be pretty damn surprised if they lose it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

They need to choose the right jib. Underpowered in the second race until the last downwind.

Yep my thoughts too.

wind dropped after the start and built on the last up and down seeing the jib selection back in range.One can hope.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, rantro said:

I admire your coping strategy.

If I was Maori or Aboriginal, I would be fucking angry.  But I'm not, and still a bit angry.

Fuck off then. 

If you dont understand what it means you have no right to project your issues on the rest of us. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, rantro said:

I admire your coping strategy.

If I was Maori or Aboriginal, I would be fucking angry.  But I'm not, and still a bit angry.

Ignorance is bliss.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, kenergy said:

Fuck off then. 

If you dont understand what it means you have no right to project your issues on the rest of us. 

Projection hey ...847eed2503bf544f997b97a76a573cde.gif   does that just go one way?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rantro said:

Projection hey ...847eed2503bf544f997b97a76a573cde.gif   does that just go one way?

 

I'm not the one trying to limit cultural expression because it make me feel uncomfortable. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm starting to think the Italians might win, or hope the will anyway.

It's just Jimmy that is stopping me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rantro said:

I admire your coping strategy.

If I was Maori or Aboriginal, I would be fucking angry.  But I'm not, and still a bit angry.

You come across as a cringe worthy SJW. Was that your intention?

Link to post
Share on other sites

A whoops moment for, Pete.

Just as well Te Rehutai has that lowered deck.

It's not just for aero and mainsail rule cheating, obviously.

 

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 7.38.10 PM.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dullers said:

You come across as a cringe worthy SJW. Was that your intention?

I think it's just ignorance. Most kiwis understand how Maori culture is part of who we are, regardless of what "race" we are, most foreigners dont. This clown has obviously never seen a thousand school boys give a haka to honour a retiring teacher simply because of the mana they hold, these kids are Maori, Pakeha, Samoan, Tongan, Indian, Chinese,European heritage,  nobody gives a shit, because that's who we are.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sailbydate said:

A whoops moment for, Pete.

Just as well Te Rehutai has that lowered deck.

It's not just for aero and mainsail rule cheating, obviously.

 

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 7.38.10 PM.png

I thought that was the standard procedure for crossing, something Kiwis are trained since childhood. In this rare archive picture we can see a very young Pete Burling starting a training session :D :D

183499115_burlingscivolo.jpg.4ccfeb35b9e9df21d5f9c9777f5ed406.jpg

And now you understand why Max prohibited Jimmy and Checco doing such stunts. They are quite old at the very least, and surely not as fit as Pete! A pair of  dips like that and they go directly to Auckland hospital :D :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, strider470 said:

I thought that was the standard procedure for crossing, something Kiwis are trained since childhood. In this rare archive picture we can see a very young Pete Burling starting a training session :D :D

183499115_burlingscivolo.jpg.4ccfeb35b9e9df21d5f9c9777f5ed406.jpg

And now you understand why Max prohibited Jimmy and Checco doing such stunts. They are quite old at the very least, and surely not as fit as Pete! A pair of  dips like that and they go directly to Auckland hospital :D :D

Ha, ha. Very good, mate.

A pretty good day at the office for both teams today. Of course we want to win, but we also enjoy beating a strong opponent, no? Looking forward to the weekend's racing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kenergy said:

I think it's just ignorance. Most kiwis understand how Maori culture is part of who we are, regardless of what "race" we are, most foreigners dont. This clown has obviously never seen a thousand school boys give a haka to honour a retiring teacher simply because of the mana they hold, these kids are Maori, Pakeha, Samoan, Tongan, Indian, Chinese,European heritage,  nobody gives a shit, because that's who we are.

 

 

And so it came to pass, the conquering was complete.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rantro said:

And so it came to pass, the conquering was complete.

I cant figure out if you're too stupid to be a troll or just really bad at it, either way, not my problem.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sailbydate said:

Ha, ha. Very good, mate.

A pretty good day at the office for both teams today. Of course we want to win, but we also enjoy beating a strong opponent, no? Looking forward to the weekend's racing.

Please, explain me. You guys from the southern hemisphere seems to have a sort of obsession about the day at the office. We Italian, unless of course you dont't work for an Adult Movies Company, normally cant't wait to exit the office :D :D

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Please, explain me. You guys from the southern hemisphere seems to have a sort of obsession about the day at the office. We Italian, unless of course you dont't work for an Adult Movies Company, normally cant't wait to exit the office :D :D

Yeah. I work for Porn Hub. ;-)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Groucho Marx said:

Agreed, "day at office" is a beyond stupid expression - but think it was started by the Aussies? Jimmy uses it.

I heard the team suggested him to use a more Italian "good day outside the office" instead :D

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Priscilla said:

 

Threatening behavior and if the opposition dares do something similar, the kiwi's lose their shit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rantro said:

Threatening behavior and if the opposition dares do something similar, the kiwi's lose their shit.

Ever seen a Siva Tau, Sipa Tau or Cibi? Ever been in the ground when a team pulls one out against the haka? We definitely lose our shit, its fucking awesome.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kenergy said:

Ever seen a Siva Tau, Sipa Tau or Cibi? Ever been in the ground when a team pulls one out against the haka? We definitely lose our shit, its fucking awesome.  

No, but I have seen rainbows from pissing on an electric fence.  I think I uttered something that sounded like that.

Does that count?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Woah whoa whoa. I'm maori, my whakapapa (family tree/ genealogy) goes back to the Te Arawa waka.

I'm proud of my heritage and my culture, but I'm also accepting of other cultures, and people of other cultures. That sentence, to me, as a maori person, is INCREDIBLY OFFENSIVE.

"White people" absolutely should do the Haka. Its not about what they "look like", its about what it means to them in doing it. Richie McCaw is a white person, and he "looked" great doing the haka, why? Because it meant/ means the world to him. Jeff Wilson is a white person, and he also haka'd for the All Blacks, but also at Jonah Lomu's funeral. A haka is written for a specific purpose. Skin colour is irrelevant. If it means something to you, if you understand why you are performing a haka, BY ALL MEANS you should feel absolutely free to do it.

Don’t worry to much .

Tantro / Gastro or whatever shitlips changes his name to has a habit of coming in and crapping al over threads.

I admire your sentiment 4 .

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, southseasbill said:

They need to choose the right jib. Underpowered in the second race until the last downwind.

My perception was that in R2 ETNZ were slower thru tacks/gybes, took longer to build speed than they did in R1.

Thought that is perception only, haven't had a chance to go back and look properly...

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, southseasbill said:

They need to choose the right jib. Underpowered in the second race until the last downwind.

Comments here in Italy saying LR choose the wrong jib in race 1 (too big)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

A whoops moment for, Pete.

Just as well Te Rehutai has that lowered deck.

It's not just for aero and mainsail rule cheating, obviously.

 

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 7.38.10 PM.png

LOL!
Run out of likes...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rantro said:

Threatening behavior and if the opposition dares do something similar, the kiwi's lose their shit.

You should watch the pacific island games with each trying to out do the other!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

You should watch the pacific island games with each trying to out do the other!

Haven't seen that, that would be a good use of it.

Doesn't work when the display is one-sided.  It has always seemed in appropriate and disrespectful to the opposition when they have no right of reply.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

They do have a right of reply, just don't have a good one?

They usually do reply in a polite manner by not laughing their asses off at this ridiculous display. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rantro said:

Haven't seen that, that would be a good use of it.

Doesn't work when the display is one-sided.  It has always seemed in appropriate and disrespectful to the opposition when they have no right of reply.

But NZ opponents usually do, at least in Rugby.
They normally pray!
But sometimes they improvise some sort of challenge.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, rantro said:

 It has always seemed in appropriate and disrespectful to the opposition when they have no right of reply.

Generally speaking conserving ones energy before a hammering by the All Blacks is the most prudent reply to a Haka.

Another form of a Maori challenge is the Wero performed as a welcome.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

They usually do reply in a polite manner by not laughing their asses off at this ridiculous display. 

They can do what they want, the Haka isnt for them. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Woah whoa whoa. I'm maori, my whakapapa (family tree/ genealogy) goes back to the Te Arawa waka.

I'm proud of my heritage and my culture, but I'm also accepting of other cultures, and people of other cultures. That sentence, to me, as a maori person, is INCREDIBLY OFFENSIVE.

"White people" absolutely should do the Haka. Its not about what they "look like", its about what it means to them in doing it. Richie McCaw is a white person, and he "looked" great doing the haka, why? Because it meant/ means the world to him. Jeff Wilson is a white person, and he also haka'd for the All Blacks, but also at Jonah Lomu's funeral. A haka is written for a specific purpose. Skin colour is irrelevant. If it means something to you, if you understand why you are performing a haka, BY ALL MEANS you should feel absolutely free to do it.

Well put dude!

I won't do it cos YEAH, I would look silly. But that's my choice, not some Social Justice Warrior's choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the Topic.

After reviewing yesterday's races.  ETNZ definitely have the faster boat in those wind conditions by a significant margin.

First race they extended even while covering and sailing sub-optimal modes to do so.  30+ seconds is a thrashing.  Note that LRPP was closer to ETNZ at the start compared to the reverse in race 2.

Race 2 - ETNZ stuffed the start, sailed badly, possibly were underpowered, yet still made up ground to get within 7 seconds of LRPP.

ETNZ have a faster top speed and better VMG.  

The assumption that ETNZ are at a disadvantage in the lower wind range I believe will be proved wrong.  Why?  The lower wind range (below 12 knot average) has always been the predicted wind range for the AC.  Particularly so when a La Nina weather pattern is in play.  To suggest that ETNZ wouldn't have planned for that is well naive.

The earlier regatta's were in weather that was at the normal average and ETNZ were moded for that.  They won.  They didn't need to show or even fully develop their low wind range modes.  In SA terminology they "sand bagged."

Prada put a lot of effort into being competitive in the mid-range.  Yesterday proved that they have improved but not by a significant amount.

I just wish the races were longer and had wider courses.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Back to the Topic.

After reviewing yesterday's races.  ETNZ definitely have the faster boat in those wind conditions but a significant margin.

First race they extended even while covering and sailing sub-optimal modes to do so.  30+ seconds is a thrashing.  Note that LRPP was closer to ETNZ at the start compared to the reverse in race 2.

Race 2 - ETNZ stuffed the start, sailed badly, possibly were underpowered, yet still made up ground to get within 7 seconds of LRPP.

ETNZ have a faster top speed and better VMG.  

The assumption that ETNZ are at a disadvantage in the lower wind range I believe will be proved wrong.  Why?  The lower wind range (below 12 knot average) has always been the predicted wind range for the AC.  Particularly so when a La Nina weather pattern is in play.  To suggest that ETNZ wouldn't have planned for that is well naive.

The earlier regatta's were in weather that was at the normal average and ETNZ were moded for that.  They won.  They didn't need to show or even fully develop their low wind range modes.  In SA terminology they "sand bagged."

Prada put a lot of effort into being competitive in the mid-range.  Yesterday proved that they have improved but not by a significant amount.

I just wish the races were longer and had wider courses.

You are putting too much emphasis on the final time differential. 

In the 1st race, ETNZ certainly won, but a more accurate margin is 19 seconds or so.  LR phoned it in on the final leg.

In the 2nd race, LR probably could have won by a larger margin, but why bother?  Instead of moving to the favored right side and take the risk of a couple extra gybes, LR simply found the nearest layline and sailed a straight path to victory knowing that ETNZ couldn't make up 15 seconds on one leg.  Sure, they gave away 8 seconds, but so what?  A win is a win.  AM should have raced in this style when they had a winning lead. 

In both of these races, LR gave away some time on purpose (tho for two different reasons).

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

LR simply found the nearest layline and sailed a straight path to victory knowing that ETNZ couldn't make up 15 seconds on one leg

Your assumption is somewhat flawed.  It wouldn't have taken much of a wind shift to put the strategy you describe to the sword.  ETNZ's crew work in the second race wasn't as good as the first.  Stuffed the start by a large margin and two very poor tacks by AC standards.  If LRPP had done that ETNZ would have won by a minute.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mauriciogfj said:

But NZ opponents usually do, at least in Rugby.
They normally pray!
But sometimes they improvise some sort of challenge.
 

 

They should have done a Morris Dance

 

1861001367_morrisdance.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

You are putting too much emphasis on the final time differential. 

In the 1st race, ETNZ certainly won, but a more accurate margin is 19 seconds or so.  LR phoned it in on the final leg.

In the 2nd race, LR probably could have won by a larger margin, but why bother?  Instead of moving to the favored right side and take the risk of a couple extra gybes, LR simply found the nearest layline and sailed a straight path to victory knowing that ETNZ couldn't make up 15 seconds on one leg.  Sure, they gave away 8 seconds, but so what?  A win is a win.  AM should have raced in this style when they had a winning lead. 

In both of these races, LR gave away some time on purpose (tho for two different reasons).

Agreed. Time at the finish was irrelevant. What wasn’t was the speed of ETNZ on the last downwind and the fact that LRPP didn’t get too far away from them. Another beat and it might have gotten interesting. In the end, as you say, each boat only has to do enough to get across the finish line first.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Don said:

TNZ had an orgone accumulator failure

So two things:

1. What the fuck?

2. Proof of whatever it is you are claiming

Link to post
Share on other sites