• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3. To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right

After many hours of consideration, a lot of in-depth research on the SA technical threads, extensive computational modelling and a few quick & dirty minutes in Photoshop, I have produced this anal

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Full 180 turn, only on 2 foils for 3 seconds. Incredible race winning move.

So... what are we going to call it?

The "Blue Smasher"?

In Ozzie, Blue is a nickname for a ginger.

3 hours ago, jaysper said:

Nah, that's a sex toy I think.

No, you're thinking of Mr Chainy...

19 hours ago, bob202 said:

What is this thing on TR which showed up half way through race 8? Is it some sort of stopper which they removed to allow more camber or similar when they were struggling to get foiling again?

etnz2.png

etnz1.png

Herbie?

Well if the code zero has to be stored on deck, might as well keep it in your deck sweeper? :lol::lol:

Tom Ehman of Sailing Illustrated confirmed the unbelievable: The Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron is considering the 1 - 1 DoG Match with the Royal Yacht Squadron.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Tom Ehman of Sailing Illustrated confirmed the unbelievable: The Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron is considering the 1 - 1 DoG Match with the Royal Yacht Squadron.

Given the many considerably wealthier billionaires, courtesy of Covid, you would think there might be interest from a number of them. China and the US would be interesting. Jeff Bezos v Jack Ma under the flag of patriotism.

29 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Did he give appropriate credit to SAAC?

• Like 2

Hey @Mozzy Sails I was just re-watching race 7 and I noticed that LRPP actually did a "Mr. Whippy" around mark 4, after ETNZ did theirs on mark 2.  Would be interesting to see a side-by-side to see who executed theirs better.  :)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

A one on one match around  the Isle of Whight would be great at the condition that they have a minimum of 13 races, no wind limits and an open rule.

If it's a DoG match, which I doubt, it would be great too.

Just now, Tornado-Cat said:

A one on one match around  the Isle of Whight would be great at the conditions that they have a minimum of 13 races, no wind limits and an open rule. If it's a DoG match, which I doubt, it would be great too.

DoG match is best of 3 isn't it?

3 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

DoG match is best of 3 isn't it?

Yes. I don't think they have the money and time to do it though, unless chosing existing boats like trimaran foilers or a very modified AC75

2 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

‘One Hears’ that the remaining $B’s are already losing interest if GD caves to Ratty.

I posted the possibility at least a month ago that the next Cup would be in Cowes instead of in Bahrain or wherever the fuck. 

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

‘One Hears’ that the remaining $B’s are already losing interest if GD caves to Ratty.

I posted the possibility at least a month ago that the next Cup would be in Cowes instead of in Bahrain or wherever the fuck. 

GD could easily get a cat twice the size out of this deal! :D 

May be something is happening.

NZ Hearld

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/americas-cup-no-queen-st-ticker-tape-parade-if-team-new-zealand-win/7NUH5FBYMLA5RURDJ2UJWYZDPM/

A spokesman for Auckland Mayor Phil Goff confirmed the plan to limit the extent of public celebration should Team New Zealand be successful this cup defence.

"Emirates Team New Zealand specifically requested we not have a parade and so we support that request that they've made."

4 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

I reckon an AC75 without the restrictions on monitoring of yacht state and feedback loops plus make everything battery powered, would make an awesome DoG challenger.

If the rule is open enough we could could back to the initial concept of a narrow central hull which would be extreme and faster.

On the other hand I would like a rule excluding batteries to come back to a boat handled by humans only.

30 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

GD could easily get a cat twice the size out of this deal! :D 

If they race around Isle of Wight within a year, Rattcliffe will spend the budget he needs to bring back the cup :)

Just cracked my first Steinlager heading to the bar at 3pm on a bus in Christchurch this will be a great St Patricks Day! 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, NZL4EVER said:

Just cracked my first Steinlager heading to the bar at 3pm on a bus in Christchurch this will be a great St Patricks Day! 

Many congratulations and have one for me and say hello to everyone.

And wind levels for today, any sign of improvement ? I must exit out of the bed with out making  any noise, make it down the stairs without falling down, put on me Bermuda jersey, check on the horse worth more then an AC75, let the Hens out, check on the lambs and then poke the fire, makes the coffee and sit down to enjoy. You do not want to see the lost of jobs after the race :angry:

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, NZL4EVER said:

You can drink alcohol on a bus in CHCH????

Dunno for sure, but I doubt you could do that in Welly without getting the rubber glove!

29 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

On the other hand I would like a rule excluding batteries to come back to a boat handled by humans only.

Apparently, this is impossible with the current AC75.  Each foil and arms weighs like 3,000 lbs.  If humans had to move them real time it would take forever to lift them.  You'd literally need to double the number of grinders. 

15 minutes ago, jaysper said:
15 minutes ago, jaysper said:

You can drink alcohol on a bus in CHCH????

Dunno for sure, but I doubt you could do that in Welly without getting the rubber glove!

I left Greymouth about 3 weeks ago we are on transit to Australia so staying in Christchurch for another week then onto a new life but so happy to be in NZ for this moment. ;)

18 minutes ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

Apparently, this is impossible with the current AC75.  Each foil and arms weighs like 3,000 lbs.  If humans had to move them real time it would take forever to lift them.  You'd literally need to double the number of grinders. 

True, but that would oblige them to design boats that could race longer than 30 minutes.

3 minutes ago, NZL4EVER said:

I left Greymouth about 3 weeks ago 

Now that sounds more like NZ public transport.

Had some friends do the Transapline crossing 3 weeks ago, arrived in Greymouth on the eve of the lock down.....Kiwi Rail told no train back, find your only way back, got the last rental car in GM.

4 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

In DoG match who decides which boat, where and when?

In a true DoG challenge, each team designs their boat to fit within the specifications laid out in the DoG.  They can (and have been) radically different from each other.  Challenger declares when (no sooner than 10 months from the delivery of the challenge).  Defender chooses where. 

5 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

In DoG match who decides which boat, where and when?

There is no "WHICH BOAT" beyond the DoG, which is AFAIK pretty much limited to 90 foot.

This is why Valencia saw boats with engines on board.

The WHEN is theoretically 9 months (without mutual consent) but both DoG matches have been delayed far beyond that with court cases.

WHERE is decided by the Defender as per Ernie in Valencia.

Bravi Kiwi, deserved victory. We fight at our best but it was not enough. I congratulate to all of you (except Mrs Tina Symmans of course ;) ). I hope you will continue to honor the legacy of the America's Cup and your competitors also in AC37, and I'm sure that all the rumours we heard about a DoG challenge is simply not true.
Orgoglioso di Luna Rossa. Potevamo quasi vincere anche con un pizzico in meno di velocità. Grazie ragazzi!

• Like 6
4 hours ago, southseasbill said:

I reckon an AC75 without the restrictions on monitoring of yacht state and feedback loops plus make everything battery powered, would make an awesome DoG challenger.

Fuck off. 

• Downvote 1
9 minutes ago, SloopJohnB said:

It would be criminal to take this away from Auckland, look at the crowds for the build up of handing over the CUP.

Kiwis  need to get behind them and make sure they can continue 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 36thLatitude said:

CONGRATS ETNZ....The fastest sailing boat ever built.

Not even close, Vestas Sailrocket has sailed at nearly 20 kts faster than TR.

Vestas, a one way track proa with very special high speed foils, is 65 knot fast, that is definitely fast - but the AC75s, which sail both port and starboard tacks and gybes, have hit what, according to gossip, mid to late 50s? Getting close, cobra?

25 minutes ago, Groucho Marx said:

Vestas, a one way track proa with very special high speed foils, is 65 knot fast, that is definitely fast - but the AC75s, which sail both port and starboard tacks and gybes, have hit what, according to gossip, mid to late 50s? Getting close, cobra?

It's like a drag car vs a formula one car, drag car may be faster in a straight line, but is a one trick pony

4 hours ago, Zeusproject said:

Kiwis  need to get behind them and make sure they can continue 

This has been thrashed out already. It will not leave New Zealand. If anyone says it's going to, the won't find where the bodies are buried. 

The Cup belongs to the RNZYS. Just because some dudes won the races don't mean they can run away with it and set the race venue as Lake Geneva.

The Team needs New Zealand and the sponsorship money. Emirates doesn't cover all the costs.

So, shut up dickhead.

• Downvote 1
6 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

This has been thrashed out already. It will not leave New Zealand. If anyone says it's going to, the won't find where the bodies are buried. 

The Cup belongs to the RNZYS. Just because some dudes won the races don't mean they can run away with it and set the race venue as Lake Geneva.

The Team needs New Zealand and the sponsorship money. Emirates doesn't cover all the costs.

So, shut up dickhead.

Fuck off cock I didn’t mention it was going anywhere 

55 minutes ago, 36thLatitude said:

How much wind did they sail in?

Enough to see an ac75 sat in The shed.

fastest AC boat in history? Yup

fastest boat ever? Nope. 

The teams responsible for both concepts did an incredible job with the rules and tech available to them.

29 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

So, shut up dickhead.

Line up of new Billionaire chums says otherwise. 

5 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

It would be criminal to take this away from Auckland, look at the crowds for the build up of handing over the CUP.

As Ken Read pointed out during the Broadcast: They (Dalton) will follow the money. The Country, the RNZYS and ETNZ have to come to terms that you can't fund an AC Team sorely based on Goverment Funding and Commercial Partners, not in a Post-COVID World. It's impossible! The sooner ETNZ gets some more Private backing, the better for them!

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

Enough to see an ac75 sat in The shed.

fastest AC boat in history? Yup

fastest boat ever? Nope. 

The teams responsible for both concepts did an incredible job with the rules and tech available to them.

How well does sailrocket go around a windward/leewward course. I doubt it would complete one leg before an AC75 completed a lap.

45 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

How well does sailrocket go around a windward/leewward course. I doubt it would complete one leg before an AC75 completed a lap.

Given that SailRocket could only sail a starboard tack, they'd never manage a lap anyway.

12 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Given that SailRocket could only sail a starboard tack, they'd never manage a lap anyway.

Unless SailRocket could benefit hugeeeeeeee wind shifts :D

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Unless SailRocket could benefit hugeeeeeeee wind shifts :D

Yes, it would have to be substantial - she probably sailed on a beam reach.

Just now, MaxHugen said:

substantial and perfectly syncronized :D

Congratulations ETNZ on successfully defending the Cup at home, an incredible achievement. 

Congratulations LRPP on your sportsmanship and grace, for putting up a worthy challenge and please do return.

And finally, well done to the people of NZ, you deserve it and enjoy the occasion.

Here's to the next defense, I can't wait.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, southseasbill said:

Don’t be so transparently stupid. 

one is an ac race boat and the fastest of its type

one is the outright speed record holder. 

both incredible in their own right, I wasn’t suggesting SR could do a WL course. 

it’s a dumb as asking how many pieces would ETNZ be if they tried to break 68kts 

15 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Beam reach isn’t 130-40 off the wind though.. 

10 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Beam reach isn’t 130-40 off the wind though.. 

Larsen: "As I was sailing across the wind at almost 90 degrees, I was bisecting the gusts. The run is usually a series of short surges. That 65-knot run was pretty solid."

Win the best! And so it was. Congratulations to ETNZ and all New Zealand supporters. LR did its best and in my view delivered a great show, it definitely increased the value of the win.

I wish there will be another chance for another fair battle

6 hours ago, Zeusproject said:

Fuck off cock I didn’t mention it was going anywhere 

Fuck you dickhead. 

2 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

Larsen: "As I was sailing across the wind at almost 90 degrees, I was bisecting the gusts. The run is usually a series of short surges. That 65-knot run was pretty solid."

Ok. Fastest racing sailboat. 

5 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

As Ken Read pointed out during the Broadcast: They (Dalton) will follow the money. The Country, the RNZYS and ETNZ have to come to terms that you can't fund an AC Team sorely based on Goverment Funding and Commercial Partners, not in a Post-COVID World. It's impossible! The sooner ETNZ gets some more Private backing, the better for them!

Emirates is part commercial part private backing. the airline is owned by the Kingdom and if the Sheik supports the AC, the money will be there. Eventually they will likely want to see part of the competition hosted in their backyard.

I have looked for any mention of the cup in any major news, none because the world does not care, even most sailors look at it as a joke. We only watch it because its the only sailing on TV every few years. The grinders grind the rest just sit there and push buttons. 

18 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

Ok. Fastest racing sailboat. 

Haha... maybe a new category could be declared as being "the fastest sailing boat around a circular course of one nautical mile in radius" - would this then encompass all angles of sailing?  :lol:

13 minutes ago, Benytoe said:

I have looked for any mention of the cup in any major news, none because the world does not care, even most sailors look at it as a joke. We only watch it because its the only sailing on TV every few years. The grinders grind the rest just sit there and push buttons. 

Seems to be mentioned in a couple of places....

Australia's national broadcaster:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-17/team-new-zealand-wins-beats-luna-rossa-to-retain-americas-cup/100015176

UK's BBC
https://www.bbc.com/sport/sailing/56425918

Reuters:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sailing-americas-cup/sailing-team-new-zealand-savour-americas-cup-triumph-in-home-waters-idUSKBN2B90GK

Germany - Das Erste:
https://www.daserste.de/sport/sportschau/videosextern/neuseeland-gewinnt-america-s-cup-100.html

France:
https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210317-team-new-zealand-win-america-s-cup-7-3-over-luna-rossa

CNN:
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/17/sport/americas-cup-new-zealand-sailing-win-spt-intl/index.html

• Like 3

Congratulations ETNZ. Great team and a fast boat! Thanks for having the vision and expertise to create the AC75.

Thanks to NZ and all Kiwis for hosting and running an impressive regatta, not in the easiest of circumstances.

Auckland has looked great and, having grown up there, I've been nostalgic watching the racing as you bask in summer. I hope to get there for the next Cup.

40 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Haha... maybe a new category could be declared as being "the fastest sailing boat around a circular course of one nautical mile in radius" - would this then encompass all angles of sailing?  :lol:

Whatever. 

• Downvote 1

I would like to see them reconfigure the foils and the sails for a speed run in say 30Knts 

If the 57Knts was achieved in the current configuration very small foils and very slim sails would add a significant speed lift.

Pretty hopeless in the starting box but that's over.

Other ideas:

Just stick a pole in the hull and mount it to a street light like the other great winning NZ boats. Only put this one in North Auckland so they have a point of reference when giving directions to tourists.

Or put it in the rental fleet with the old 12 metre warhorses for us tourists to come over and tear up and down the harbor before dinner at Sky Tower.  What could possibly go wrong?

Race them in Fremantle when the Doctor is in and prove they are real boats and not 1 trick pony lake boats. My hunch is they would make the AM crash look like child's play and would have great ratings after race 1 when the world watched these professionals put their lives on the line.

2 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Emirates is part commercial part private backing. the airline is owned by the Kingdom and if the Sheik supports the AC, the money will be there. Eventually they will likely want to see part of the competition hosted in their backyard.

Wrong! The Sheiks will never ever have the Cup in their backyard unless they Challenge themselves and win it. And Emirates is highly unlikely to continue the Sponsorship after having lost so much revenue as an airline because of the Pandemic.

STUFF.NZ agrees with me

NZ Marine Industry Association executive director Peter Busfield said after an America's Cup winner was known, things moved quickly with regard to teams preparing for the next America’s Cup and a venue being decided on.

Team New Zealand would need immediate support from the Government and corporate New Zealand in order for the event to stay on home soil and the team to remain competitive, he said.

“If New Zealand wants to retain this they really need to look to corporate New Zealand,” Busfield said.

After the win, most Team New Zealand staff wouldn’t be employed because their contracts would have come to an end, he said.

They would be highly sought after by wealthy syndicates looking to attract fresh talent that understood Team New Zealand’s intellectual property, he said.

“They become very hot property, a bit like buying soccer players.”

He said Emirates had been a great supporter of Team New Zealand but expecting an airline to continue its sponsorship during the Covid-19 crisis was a big ask, he said.

“I would imagine Team New Zealand would be looking for a whole new suite of sponsors.”

He said it would be hard for Team New Zealand to stay in business without a great deal of support from New Zealand companies.

“New Zealanders have to put their hands in their pockets from small companies to large companies, a bit like in Sir Peter Blake’s day when he asked everybody to contribute.”

Emirates could be out as TNZ Main Sponsor for AC37! Busfield says TNZ need to go back to the Peter Blake Days asking everyone to contribute and the TNZ has to look to NZ Companies in case Emirates is out as Main Sponsor!

27 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Wrong! The Sheiks will never ever have the Cup in their backyard unless they Challenge themselves and win it. And Emirates is highly unlikely to continue the Sponsorship after having lost so much revenue as an airline because of the Pandemic.

STUFF.NZ agrees with me

NZ Marine Industry Association executive director Peter Busfield said after an America's Cup winner was known, things moved quickly with regard to teams preparing for the next America’s Cup and a venue being decided on.

Team New Zealand would need immediate support from the Government and corporate New Zealand in order for the event to stay on home soil and the team to remain competitive, he said.

“If New Zealand wants to retain this they really need to look to corporate New Zealand,” Busfield said.

After the win, most Team New Zealand staff wouldn’t be employed because their contracts would have come to an end, he said.

They would be highly sought after by wealthy syndicates looking to attract fresh talent that understood Team New Zealand’s intellectual property, he said.

“They become very hot property, a bit like buying soccer players.”

He said Emirates had been a great supporter of Team New Zealand but expecting an airline to continue its sponsorship during the Covid-19 crisis was a big ask, he said.

“I would imagine Team New Zealand would be looking for a whole new suite of sponsors.”

He said it would be hard for Team New Zealand to stay in business without a great deal of support from New Zealand companies.

“New Zealanders have to put their hands in their pockets from small companies to large companies, a bit like in Sir Peter Blake’s day when he asked everybody to contribute.”

Emirates could be out as TNZ Main Sponsor for AC37! Busfield says TNZ need to go back to the Peter Blake Days asking everyone to contribute and the TNZ has to look to NZ Companies in case Emirates is out as Main Sponsor!

Dont we have a computer game guy worth 4 billion on board? 

2 hours ago, Benytoe said:

Like F1 drivers just sit there and push buttons? FFS go and watch American Football